Guest ororomunroe

@40somethingahjumma ah u brought up another of my favourite character hercule poirot. Haha. 

Maybe there will be a round of discussion about agatha christie.:D Its just kind of sad to me that many people dont read classics nowadays.

I thought i would watch the show live but didnt know that it start later than other dramas.

@emme85 will wait for yr recaps.thk u.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

While I enjoy this show, I think I'm enjoying our discussions here a lot more. :D 

I doubt we're ever going to agree about what manner of man Jung might be which is fine. He is an intriguing fellow undoubtedly, drawn to make us all speculate endlessly. That said, I still don't see "sociopath" written on his forehead. I don't even see it in his eyes. ;) 

Contrary to the sociopath theory, he comes across (to me at least) as someone who actually cares. The fact that he doesn't trust people trying to get close to him suggests someone with a moral compass. He's hardly glib and in fact one of his worst faults is his lack of communicativeness.  I don't know if it's just PHJ but from where I'm looking Jung is a many layered guy who has suppressed all his emotions. To me he has channelled all his anger into that brain of his. 

I remember listening to an interview a couple of years ago with the great David Suchet who was asked about how he approached the character of Hercule Poirot. He said that he thought of Poirot as a walking brain so his voice had to come from his head.

That's how I think of Jung... a walking brain... he's always thinking, wondering and scheming. In his case his emotions are stuck in his brain and very few people really get to see that side of him. Seol managed to get under his skin because she's more or less guileless which for him must be a breath of fresh air. ;)

That is my exact inference  of YJ's character. Yes... he is indeed a  "Walking Brain"..... the awareness of people through from an observant through a calculative lens ...  the demeanor likely stems maybe from his  childhood circumstances or so I think.  Unlike other girls , Seol is one of those rare one who does not adhere to sycophancy  in order to woo YJ... that's why he finds her curious and is attracted to her.

3 hours ago, papulichan said:

Is it only me or does someone else also thinks that Baek In Ha is not as frivolous and a tantrum queen as she is shown to be . I think In Ha is not lazy..... is just that maybe she is either afraid of failures or have some deeper embedded insecurities?? At times ... YJ looking down upon the brother-sister duo irks me , but then I think probably he wants them not to be at the monetary mercy of his father and be independent on their own. I'm really liking this show.

Yay! Someone else also feels the same way.  To me the character of Baek In Ha is being played as audaciously loud and shrill on purpose to hide the fact that she knows just how ridiculous her lifestyle is.  The few instances where she speaks quietly (at the Chairman's house for dinner, for one) make it seem as though she is simply desperate to keep hold of the lifeline that's kept her alive and afloat for all these years.  So yeah, maybe she's scared, insecure, or angry, or some combo of all three which makes her super reluctant to start changing her life.  I can even see this similar trait in her brother.  For whatever reason, InHo is unable to let go of his anger toward Yoojung and forget whatever happened in the past.  :(

Really looking forward to the new ep!!  Can anyone share a streaming link? 

@Ahpheng You had the same problem with the emoticons too? I thought, it was related to the fact I had become a moderator!? The pictures you chose in your last C-strip represents exatcly how I am feeling ! Finally we get to see YJ and HS again. I just can't get enough from these two! very-happy-cheetah-emoticon.gif?13027861

@40somethingahjumma I love your analysis about YJ. That's exactly how I see him. He has a moral compass and a very strong one! But his suppressed emotions will let him to think how to act.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

While I enjoy this show, I think I'm enjoying our discussions here a lot more. :D 

I doubt we're ever going to agree about what manner of man Jung might be which is fine. He is an intriguing fellow undoubtedly, drawn to make us all speculate endlessly. That said, I still don't see "sociopath" written on his forehead. I don't even see it in his eyes. ;) 

Contrary to the sociopath theory, he comes across (to me at least) as someone who actually cares. The fact that he doesn't trust people trying to get close to him suggests someone with a moral compass. He's hardly glib and in fact one of his worst faults is his lack of communicativeness.  I don't know if it's just PHJ but from where I'm looking Jung is a many layered guy who has suppressed all his emotions. To me he has channelled all his anger into that brain of his. 

I remember listening to an interview a couple of years ago with the great David Suchet who was asked about how he approached the character of Hercule Poirot. He said that he thought of Poirot as a walking brain so his voice had to come from his head.

That's how I think of Jung... a walking brain... he's always thinking, wondering and scheming. In his case his emotions are stuck in his brain and very few people really get to see that side of him. Seol managed to get under his skin because she's more or less guileless which for him must be a breath of fresh air. ;)

I read the webtoon and there is a scene about his childhood which leads people come to the conclusion that he is cruel and mischievious. However, I interprete it a little differently.

If you want to know why... then read the spoilers

Spoiler

We see that YJ (he is around 10 years old) is upset because a little blond girl broke his car (toy) but he was scolded by the parents. He doesn't understand why the parents keep defending the girl, although she was the one who had started the fight. After she had broken his car, he had pushed her but the girl lied by saying that he had smacked her. Since then the girl is crying so hard, the adults think, YJ has been too brutal and overlook what the little girl has done! Then a teenager comes (HS' future neighbour, Juyong) and explains him that he shouldn't have acted like that. YJ should have realised that the girl wanted him to pay attention to her to which YJ replies that he had been nice to her because he had talked to her first. Instead she broke his car. What upsets him the most is that he was the only one who got scolded. Since she broke his car, he should break her doll's neck (eye to eye's mentality!). Hearing that, Juyong hits him as he doesn't like what YJ has just said. Juyong adviced him to smile all the time and not show his emotions because if he shows his concerns and emotions each time he is upset, he will be an outcast later. He will always be surrounded by people who will do bad things. This final statement: "It's the jungle here!" Then YJ notices that the teenager is drinking alcohol but hid it in a juice cup. So he learns from the teenager that keeping the appearances is much more important. After hearing this "lesson", YJ goes to the girl, apologises to her and asks her if she wants to play with him. Later, the little girl gets scolded because she was caught drunk and her doll is broken and Juyong gets the blame for it because YJ said that he was the one who gave him the drink!

This scene is really important because it shows that YJ was so upset with the scolding. He would have more accepted it, if the girl had been scolded too. Nevertheless, she lied and had done something wrong to him (twice), while he had to take the blame! To me, he can't stand the bad ones getting away with their misdeeds. Since Juyong beats him for getting scared by YJ's remark, YJ feels hurt again because he confined to Juyong and the latter kind of betrays him by judging him so harshly and beating him for nothing. That's why he is always smiling as he knows, people will judge him on the appearances and he is expecting to be intentionally approached and surrounded by greedy people or people with some "bad" intentions . Juyong's advice has become his "life motto!"  

@qwenli I also love Agatha Christie and especially Hercule Poirot who is so intelligent, but sometimes so narrow-minded (his way of eating, getting dressed and his hair and his moustache!!) He makes me laugh... @40somethingahjumma's comparison between YJ and Hercule Poirot is interesting. Nevertheless, the latter believes in the justice system (that's why he hands over the criminals), while YJ doesn't really believe in justice at all. To him, since people are always biased and superficial, he thinks, fair and true justice will never happen! 

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Seol managed to get under his skin because she's more or less guileless which for him must be a breath of fresh air. ;)

Oh that's an interesting point!  I actually viewed this slightly differently.  At least from just watching the drama (and ignoring all of the speed reading of the webtoon I did the past few hours!) it seemed like he became interested in Seol from that point at the group dinner in episode 1.  Rather than him appreciating her innocence(?), he appreciated that she caught a glimpse of who he was beneath the exterior. 

(IMO) As cerebral and closed-off as Yoo Jung seems to be, wouldn't it be kind of exciting, for lack of a better word, if someone were able to see him?  I think that's why he pursued her so doggedly.  Because he wanted to see who she was too. 

30 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

Oh that's an interesting point!  I actually viewed this slightly differently.  At least from just watching the drama (and ignoring all of the speed reading of the webtoon I did the past few hours!) it seemed like he became interested in Seol from that point at the group dinner in episode 1.  Rather than him appreciating her innocence(?), he appreciated that she caught a glimpse of who he was beneath the exterior. 

(IMO) As cerebral and closed-off as Yoo Jung seems to be, wouldn't it be kind of exciting, for lack of a better word, if someone were able to see him?  I think that's why he pursued her so doggedly.  Because he wanted to see who she was too. 

I agree with you! But he had a false impression of HS that's why it took him a long time to see her true personality. The more time passed on, the more he realised that she wasn't like he thought! Especially after she had caught him during that night. She never tried to win his favours!

I hope to see all the characters grow. 

Yoo Jung to be more emotionally open with someone he trusts (Seol of course!)

Seol to realise that she has to be more assertive and not wait until she is pushed to her limits.

In Ho to be more confident in his abilities and try and look beyond what happened to him in the past. 

In Ha to be independent and self-reliant (Actually LSK is quite a cute individual after watching the behind the scenes!)

Eun Taek and Bora - I love their bickering and Bora's insistence on treating Taek as her lackey (but somehow that can't stay the same way forever)

I have yet to be fully introduced to the other characters but the guy who stalks Seol should be making an appearance soon!

(When we saw Yoo Jeon walk away, does that mean her arc is over? Does she return? And I read somewhere about Min Soo who starts to mimic Seol?)

31 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

AH.... the part where he caught Seol looking at him while he smirked when he "accidentally" tilted the beer pitcher on that girl (forget her name). And, Seol was the ONLY one at that table who had a hunch that YJ purposely caused that beer "accident". That got him a bit curious.

I'm loving how each character are poles apart in their individualistic personalities and yet have ONE COMMON  factor (their deep embedded insecurities) in their lives. No one believes them and are always judged as those who fault.   The core belief system of these characters ( YJ, Seol, In-ho , In-ha...) is extremely vulnerable to the point of ultimate collapse.

What I love about this drama is how hard it is to interpret YJ and Seol's behaviors; they can be viewed in so so so many different ways. Even after reading most of the webtoon I still have questions and doubts about them, especially YJ!

@bebebisous33 In relation to the childhood scene:

Spoiler

I woudl agree with you but you have to say he went really far in getting his payback and he also included another person in there to get his revenge, sthg he often does. Also, the second flashback whith the butterfly thingy was also very... perverse? It is too strong a word but cannot think of another one here. IT goes beyond an eye for an eye for me... He includes manipulation, as if he is trying to see how far he can go each time...

@MrsSoJiSub Yeah, I agree with all you said about Seol. I was also mad they introduced the second leave as because of YJ. It also made YJ more 'human' so to speak because he loses his paper after her breakdown, when there was no breakdown like that in the webtoon! And frankly, I hope she doe snot stop overthinking things like she does. I really like that about her! I just hope she does what In Ho suggested: speak out more, express her feelings a bit more.

Inha can be extremely annoying but I strongly believe there were a lot of people who made her feel useless as she was growing up. *coughcough*

Kinda spoiler-ish?

Spoiler

Her abusive aunt. INHO. Dude I wanted to smack you every time you insinuated she was useless! So yeah, I think people made Inha feel she had nothing but her beauty in her favor and that she could just live her life spending money. 

On the other hand, I believe in Jung's sincerity when he would scold Inho for being so harsh to Inha. He seemed to really care for her. 

14 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

What I love about this drama is how hard it is to interpret YJ and Seol's behaviors; they can be viewed in so so so many different ways. Even after reading most of the webtoon I still have questions and doubts about them, especially YJ!

@bebebisous33 In relation to the childhood scene:

Reveal hidden contents

@MrsSoJiSub Yeah, I agree with all you said about Seol. I was also mad they introduced the second leave as because of YJ. It also made YJ more 'human' so to speak because he loses his paper after her breakdown, when there was no breakdown like that in the webtoon! And frankly, I hope she doe snot stop overthinking things like she does. I really like that about her! I just hope she does what In Ho suggested: speak out more, express her feelings a bit more.

Actually, beating someone isn't right either, especially if it wasn't in self-defense therefore he involved Juyong into his scheme. 

However, the scene shows us that YJ has noone by his side. He is alone and feels lonely: he has no friends and he doesn't like people being around him. Therefore he leaves the room and goes where noone sees him. But he is able to talk to the girl first, although he is described by the parents as shy. This reveals that he is indeed looking for company somehow. The way he trusted Juyong with his story shows that he wants to have someone by his side and to have someone who listens to his side of the story. Yet, Juyong does something that break that trust. 

Besides, when the scolding happens, noone stands by his side and tries to listen to his side of the story. Where are his parents? Dealing with people who want something from them... The party was about his parents. To conclude, he is left behind. The story is interesting as it reveals that adults are unable to distinguish truth from lies. When the girl lied, they believed her and when she didn't lie, noone believed her. The adults are here portrayed in such a negative way. YJ comes to mistrust kids and adults in the end but he isn't upset any more so that his loneliness doesn't really burden him.

Finally, to me YJ's biggest problem is his unforgiveness. Sure, he was tolerant with NJY and SC, but the way he treated Juyong in the past for one mistake in his eyes is a little bit harsh. Nonetheless, I am more repulsed by the parents' behaviour!

Both men's stare are very intense.

In Ho leaves and Yoo Jung looks conflicted ?

I think there will be skinship this episode between Seol and Yoo Jung.

Seol leaves her place and runs after Yoo Jung.

He looks cool again and asks her about liking (?)

Seol tries to explain and apologises.

It starts to rain and Yoo Jung and Seol are just standing there. I wish I could understand!!

Yoo Jung opens his umbrella and he doesn't want to argue.

Archived