Guest ororomunroe

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If Jung needs professional help, then I think everyone in that cohort probably needs help as well. Bullying, unconscionable failure to meet commitments, blaming others for your own problems, leeching off others, not to mention date raping... I think those kids have serious issues too. I'd hate to think that they are going to be the next generation of the S Korean workforce or providing genetic material for subsequent generations.

I don't doubt that Jung is the very definition of "cold fury". But I think a lot of that comes from the way he sees the world -- in black and white, and with probably an overdeveloped sense of justice, believe it or not. I'm inclined to see him as some kind of Dark Angel... his methods are questionable perhaps but I rather understand why he does what he does. The system is broken... it's a dog eat dog environment. Those in the system exploit it for whatever ends and take advantage of others without batting an eyelash. Things don't appear to be changing anytime soon. 

My assessment after a mere 4 episodes is that he's not a bad guy, just a guy with a dark side.  An emotional blocked drain. There are still gaps in what we know about him and it may turn out that he is the monster that we're led to believe he is. I have my doubts about that though. From a storytelling perspective I find him interesting... more interesting than In-ho who seems to be the obvious choice.

Funny I made a whole post here where I described Yoo Jung as a very dark Dark Knight (a la Batman) doling out justice and seeking revenge towards those who deserve it. I do not bat one eye lash or feel any sympathy for Jung going after the people that he has (well expect for the ish he did to Seol unintentionally but that would be spoiling things). They all had it coming, and they all deserved it (the a-hole senior, the rapist senior, the psycho second lead, inha, inho, the TA...all of them brought it onto themselves and had it coming. No sympathy from me for them). I don't for one moment think Yoo Jung is a monster here in the drama or having read all of the webtoon. Funny thing is I agree with your every word, but for me it doesn't justify or make socially right and acceptable his behavior (sorry his touching that little girl's face like that...why!!!!! if she never shows up at school tomorrow I know who dun it LOL just kidding my Jung could and would never). Bruce Wayne got his own issues he need to resolve and part of the reasons for him wearing that mask and doing his Dark Knight thing is to avoid and also resolve them issues through his acts (which was not healthy imho and hindered him from having the full and complete life and relationship he wanted to have). I wouldn't recommend anyone to life a Dark Knight life style. But enough about Batman. Yoo Jung I believe he needs to seek out professional help just to talk of his feels that I agree is "emotionally blocked drain". He needs help to unblock because I think he would be much happier life. Be less lonely and have better relationships not only with Seol but many people in his life (*coughhisdadcough) if he got this help.

In the webtoon the reason for why Jung is the way he is, is not the typical "oh he had a really crappy childhood. His parents neglected him. His mom died. He got rich daddy expectations and issues" it goes beyond that. It is deeper than that and I will be so pissed if the writer and drama glosses it over. This is the one spoiler I will not spoil :P (if you're curious read the webtoon. the writer could use the money LOL) because I want to see if the drama will go there and I want to see people's reactions when it happens. I too find him more interesting than Inho but i find him interesting because of his complications, his issues, and the professional help I believe he needs. A topic we always discuss in one class or another in abnormal psychology class, and one I've always been curious about, is why seeking help is viewed in such a negative light? Why do people automatically assume that a person must be a mass murder, psychopath, sociopath, schizophrenic, or like bipolar to the degrees of having super highs of "party like a rock start, sex, drugs, and rock and roll" and super lows of "I am walking on the edge of this rooftop about to jump to my death"? I blame media. I know television, books, movies, etc like to portray psychology and those who seek out professional help (be it a psychologist, therapist, counselor, etc) as such a bad, negative, shady, or thing of the "others" (oh those weirdos we should fear). Seeking professional help doesn't mean you are a monster, a vile human being or someone that is bad for society (though sometimes you can be a danger for society and that is why you need help to learn to better deal and manage those issues so you are no longer a danger) or should be feared and avoided. You just need help (and that is not a bad thing. the world would be so much better off if people admit and seek help from friends, family, coworkers, boss, professionals, a teacher, etc, when needed for many a things). 

You need console of some type. You need someone to talk to someone to listen to you. Someone who can listen and advise you. Reinforce in you more positive ways of handling situations and people...open your eyes to the choices you make and different choices that could be made to your life and help you obtain your desired "normal" life to your fullest abilities. Jung is emotionally blocked, why can't he seek professional help so he can unblock. Unclench and be able to actually run after Seol, tap her on her shoulder, and ask her if she is okay (he followed her for so long because for whatever reason he was holding himself off from doing that. Why couldn't he have shouted her name? Following her silently would conclude where and resolve what? It would just understandably scare the richard simmons out of her when she gets to her door and she sees his shadow LOL). He can seek professional help and actually deal with the ish between him and Inho. Professional help could aide in his and his father resolving some stuff (this more the webtoon based) and aide in different ways in different aspects of his life (he could actually confront San Chul about the money stuff instead of having glasses dude do it for him). Jung is not the only one who needs professional help. Seol also needs professional help in herself esteem, lack of confidence, help in communicating better, in expressing herself, in resolving her issues with her father and a lot of other stuff related to family and how she feels in it (I will stop now cause it's webtoon stuff and I shall not spoil). Inho needs professional help in his anger management, in dealing with the trauma of his hand and restarting his life, in owning up and taking responsibility for his actions and decisions that has lead his life where it is (stop blaming others for everything), and actively start living his life instead of always running away from it. Inha, girl needs so much help. Jung's father needs help, and boy do Seol's classmates really really really really need help (again webtoon stuff). Really reading Citt felt a lot like "every one of you run don't walk to your nearest psychologist, therapist, counselor, medical doctor, etc and get the help ya'll need because goddamn do ya'll need it" LOL. If some people are reacting like this to Yoo Jung (harsh reactions imho), just wait till ya'll meet some of the other people Seol attracts in and out her life. If I was her I would never leave home LOL. 

48 minutes ago, GreenTeandSASHIMI said:

Hi, there are some familiar faces here from R1988. First of all i have a few questions about this drama before i consider watching: Is there a husband hunt or any split teams like in school 2015 and R1988? and ive been looking around here, is this drama, based off a webtoon, based on Pride and Prejudice?? (damn last time i read that was in high school)

out of 10, would you guys recommend watching? 

Dang R'88 really did a number on all of us LOL. No husband hunting here but you never know. The writers may have Seol deliberating between Jung and Inho the whole damn show and Jung will go missing for the better half of the second half and completely missing the last 2 episodes (breathes and tells herself to let it go already LOL) so to answer your question, no there is no husband hunting. There are always spilt teams LOL. The drama is based on a very popular webtoon of the same name and is not based off Pride and Prejudice. We were all just discussing how similar the male lead is to Mr. Darcy, the female lead is to Lizzy (but really aren't all kdrama heroes like a Darcy in one way or another...?), the two's shared pride and prejudice and the similarities between the two stories. Oh we also discussed potential sociopaths/psychopaths, creeps, killers, moral codes, right and wrong, batman, the dark knight, dark angel, genuine feels, manipulation, coloring books, art, and a whole bunch of other things. I think the drama is worth the watch (as the webtoon is worth the looooong read and it's still ongoing) and with 4 episodes in you wouldn't have much to catch up on and you could use those 4 eps to determine if you like it, or drop it. 

I agree with @MrsSoJiSub. Jung needs professional help because he hasn't learnt to show his true feelings or he has learnt to be in controll all the time, but if he received a therapy, then I suggest, his father should be involved as well. The father seems to be cold as well. What really upsets me is that YJ is acting like a father towards In Ho, In Ha and even his father.

YJ is the one who takes care of In HA and says to his father what they should do with In Ha. To me, YJ has never had a real childhood. I won't say, he had a bad childhood, but he never behaved like a child that's a problem! Being mature, responsible aso too early isn't right either.

I am glad that I could convince you @40somethingahjumma with my comparison with P&P! 

Another common point: how HS and YJ met for the first time!! Elizabeth and Darcy met at a ball and HS and YJ at a party, where everything went wrong! Both got prejudiced!

About the timing: when she complained that her last year had been tough because of YJ, she wanted to quit and we saw why her last year had been tough, then later there is a scene with Bora, it's the morning after the party where she had kept saying, she would take some time off from college. Bora appears and offers her the money, because she thought, HS had been saying it due to her financial situation. HS refuses the savings from Bora. Just after, they hear that HS has received the scholarship. I believe, when she was drunk and said she would take some time off, YJ thought, she had financial troubles too. Therefore he gave up the scholarship for her. So it's the present! She has the scholarship but she might lose it because of her bad grades now!

6 hours ago, b4 said:

Thanks@mgicc for posting the playlist. I went through all the songs and I still can't find the song at the end of episode 2 and 4. Someone posted it back in the forum that it was called  Such by Kang Hyun Min feat. Jo Hyun Ah of Urban Zakapa but i have searched everywhere and I can't seem to find it. Hopefully someone here can find it, don't know why that song was not include.

@yonaomi123  & @b4 You're welcome :D @b4 Sorry but i can't find the song either TAT Maybe it's not released yet? Let's just be patient and hope someone finds it soon ^^ 

@Ahpheng We are really spoiled  cute-rabbit-emoticon-20.gif?1301940532 You created another C-strip! crazy monkey 003 As you can see, I chose other emoticons because you seem to be upset that I had only used :heart:!!

The first picture you chose is superb because here, we can see YJ's real emotions: happiness, pride but also he is also oozing a certain "innocence". He appears more like a "child" and finally more human! He reminds me of a child who is proud that he was able to do something that is so simple! Like I had mentioned before, to me, YJ seems not to have a real childhood!

His feelings are here genuine, the problem is that HS has issues to see if he is sincere or not! She can't read him well, since she has seen the dark side of YJ.

Releasing his scholarship for her.
Giving a healthy drink for her.
Inviting lunch and dinner for her.
Looking for culprit who change the class schedule for her.
Coming to the caffe where she works part-time and gives his drinks for her.
Lending his laptop for her.
Rescuing her from a school friend who pervert.
Recommending a job during school holidays for her.
Lending notes for her.
Pleading guilty for the sake of her homework assignments accepted by the professor.
Looking for an English language academy for free for her.
Calling security guard to save her from drunken man.

.............And will probably still a lot of good help for her ..........

All the good help above is "Cheese tasty" which YJ gives her. Some are directly given in front of her, there is also given behind her.
YJ likes and helps HS sincerely. There is no other motive behind all his help, in addition to love, affection and care for her.
It is very natural for a guy, whoever he is, pay attention and care for the girl he has a crush.

While on the other hand, HS, who receives all the good treatment from YJ, which initially she hates and distrusts, slowly to be touched by his sincere kindness. 
When finally HS is aware and wants to get away from him, she is not able to release her heart from YJ, because in the end she also loves YJ.
She already entered into YJ's trap.

Is  YJ a bad guys? No !!!
Do YJ intentionally set a trap? No !!!

What happens to the YJ and HS have also been experienced by everyone in the world, who are in love, including you and me. 
It's just that we never thought that it was a "trap" from the man we like. The trap who created by a man, who he himself not even intentionally make it.

Sincerely help from a guy who has a crush on a girl can be a trap, but sincere help from a guy who just helps, it is reasonable help among friends.

Past events between YJ and IH have nothing to do with the relationship between YJ and HS. Whether YJ is guilty or not on IH, it is a matter for both of them. If at that time HS does not know IH, she will not be wondered how actually YJ.
IH is the kind of guy who too much talk and immature. Surely IH also has a huge mistake, so YJ seems to be very upset with him and can not forgive.

cheese-in-the-trap.jpeg

@MrsSoJiSub

Good Lord... I thought I was the only person who writes essays around here. But it's okay, we are who we are. ;)

I don't particularly disagree with anything you've said. I'm not even going to touch the webtoon because I just haven't the time and there are two new dramas next week that I want to look at.

This next part of the post is not especially aimed at MrsSoJiSub: ;)

I think one of the reasons why some of us are attracted to the idea of superheroes is that they can go places we can't and do things we can't. A lot of them are straight-out vigilantes. They work outside the law and the system because the system is impotent. A lot Korean dramas seem to reflect that helplessness about the justice system. (A line of thought quite brilliantly explored in Missing Noir M) Batman certainly fits the bill of being a vigilante. Gotham's corrupt to the core... the cops are in bed with organized crime and there's not a lot to choose from between the good guys and the bad ones. So the Dark Knight channels all his anger and becomes the bleak face of justice when sociopaths and psychopaths like the Joker, the Penguin roam the streets. This is where I would locate my current impressions of Jung but I will reserve the right to revise them at a later stage. ;) But yeah, I defintely think that some of those students are even more sociopathic than Jung is. 

So for me, to have a male lead that breaks the rules to protect what's important to him has a certain attraction even if it's disturbing. :lol:

But what is even more disturbing to me is the cesspit that academia has become. And it isn't just SK. Governments and academics have brainwashed everyone into thinking that to succeed in life you have to go university and get a degree which often has very little to do with what you end up doing later in life. These days more and more people have multiple careers in their lifetimes as well. Furthermore, instead of being institutions of learning they've turned into human sausage factories and by the end of which certificates are handed out. In many cases it's meaningless because for most people one degree isn't enough. I'm not against lifelong learning (I have an educational background) but accumulating degrees (which is what some societies are driving people to do) is not necessarily a sign of greater capability and/or higher levels of critical thinking skills.

That arc about the group project was tinged with irony. In a system where members exploit each other (and are encouraged to do so) at the drop of a hat, students are expected to work together. The idea behind group projects is good on paper but when you've spent most of your learning life competing for positions and edging others out so you can access scholarships and perks, working in a group becomes counterintuitive. How do you teach uni students to work together when they've been competing ruthlessly to get to where they are? But the brutal reality is that in the RW, unless we all become writers or hermits, working with others is par for the course. Witch Kang does have a point: everyone has to pull their weight to earn their way. The point of group projects is the teamwork, so yeah, a D is about right when the team fails to collaborate.

From what little I've seen, Jung looks to me to be very angry and mistrustful more than psychopathic. I don't know what the Baeks did aside from leeching on the family that earned his disfavour. Maybe In-ho used him to get close to his dad and to the honey pot. But unless the two of them start talking rather than flinging accusations, we're never going to know.

As I've said before, I like the idea of Jung and Seol not only because it bring out the cute side of Jung but because it's odd and fraught with difficulties. ;) Just like Itazura na Kiss, just like Nodame and Chiaki. The difficulties challenge the individuals in those relationships and hopefully make them better people as a result.

“Cheese in the Trap” Cast Show Off Good Teamwork in Behind-the-Scenes Photos

“Cheese in the Trap” Cast Show Off Good Teamwork in Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Recent behind-the-scenes cuts show that there is solid teamwork behind the new tvN drama “Cheese in the Trap.”

The drama has been airing for two weeks with high viewership ratings. People seem to be drawn to the chemistry and mysterious relationship between Park Hae Jin and Kim Go Eun‘s characters, Seo Kang Joon‘s energetic and bright character, and the interesting supporting characters.

cheese in the trap

In the behind-the-scenes images, the actors can be seen smiling despite the cold weather and helping the staff and one another. One representative for the drama said, “For several months we see each other every day, so naturally the actors and staff develop good teamwork. When the drama starts airing, we all get encouraged by the support that the viewers send us. We are always thankful for the support and we will work hard to make an enjoyable drama.”

The next episode of “Cheese in the Trap” will air on January 18 at 11 p.m. KST.

SOOMPI

Am I the only one who continue to puzzled as to how the heck Inho thought that homeless looking man was a student or professor....my god he must have the same vision as Deok Sun....I am so glad to see all the support KGE is getting. Man I hated how netziens first wanted her to be casted then once confirmed hated on her for no reason. Suddenly someone they thought a brilliant actress was all too "poor" and "bad" and "bland no good flop" actress. I knew she would prove them wrong and I am so glad they are taking back and eating their words (well more like pretending they never said them but i'll take what I can get from them).

@40somethingahjumma does this mean you are watching the drama? i really hope so because i'm enjoying reading all your posts and insights not just on this drama but the society in general. i too really enjoy Seol and Jung's relationship and their potential to be so good for another. I also don't want Jung to change too much. I want him to have better relationships with others and express himself better but he better still manipulate and get revenge on those a-hole, asshat idiots who have it coming. I swear these people ask for trouble. They bring it all onto themselves and I'm so happy that unlike Seol he doesn't let them get away with it. I would never want to cross paths with someone like him in real life (I know they exist everywhere and basically run richard simmons and get richard simmons done) cause lord would he not take my richard simmons and cut me down to size real quick LOL. 

Is it Monday yet? 

@MrsSoJiSub In Ho mistaking a homeless for a professor made me so laugh. On the other hand, this proves how bad he's at judging people. Because of her kindness, HS was able to influence IH. He laughed, when he realised that he had an influence on her, she had the same too. 

HS allows people to trample on her. I mean, SC started insulting her after the D because of her reaction (episode 4) and I hope, YJ will do something for his insults. SC stole money, harassed JW, manipulated the computer, let HS down for the group presentation and he has the impudence to blame her for acting so allmighty! 

To me, YJ started falling for HS because she was the only one who never sought his company, even accused him of being behind the report - so she dared to defy him -... it was something new to him! So far, people were more boothlicking him and she wasn't! She did the opposite. Nevertheless, he noticed (in the webtoon) her kindness! She wouldn't care about bad reputation.

I found this quote on the internet that I think match to HS and YJ relationship. It goes well to both of them. As everybody has flaws and darkness within us. 

"The truth is that the more intimately you know someone, the more clearly see you see their flaws. That just the way it is. This is why marriages fail, children abandoned, friendship don't last. You might think you know someone until you see the way they act when they're run out of money, under pressure or hungry, for goodness' sake. Love is something different.  Love is choosing to serve someone and be with someone in spite of their filthy hearts. Love is patience and kind. Love is deliberate. Love is hard. Love is pain and sacrifice. Love is seeing the darkness in the other person and defying the impulse to jump ship."

Maybe that one year in the past made YJ fall for HS, because he has seen her flaws. It was her flaws that make him fall in the first place. And for HS, she grow to love and attach to him later despite his flaws and darkness. 

Oh God, I wish I choose the right OTP this time without having too much angst. Sorry if you don't agree. 

Actually I am looking forward for their first quarrel! I can imagine that YJ has never done it before. I guess, in the past, if he got mad and upset, he would stop talking, show the cold shower and never forgive this person, but in HS' case, it's different. He won't be able to do that anymore. The fact she is able to walk away from him really angry will definitely trigger something in him that he can't behave like that with HS.

@solelylurking To me, first they saw each other's flaws or were biased after a first impression. IT took YJ one year to see her true personality. So I come to the conclusion, he is really observant and pay attention to details. Actually, he was less prejudiced than HS because he changed his mind little by little, while HS has always the first impression of him in his head. She can't imagine why YJ would be interested in her: low self-esteem and confidence. 

Hi hope everyone is enjoying your weekend. Tomorrow is Monday!

I am not sure wats with all the calls about YJ going for therapy. To me he is a highly functioning human being. He is incredibly smart n observant, knows his goals (joining his dad's firm n probably taking over it).

I like that he is mean to obviously evil characters, giving them a taste of their own medicine without implicating himself.

I like that he is sweet and patient with the girl he likes. He knows wat he wants and so before she disappears into her door after their first kimbap meal together, he held her hand and ask her to date. I swear he was plotting all that while walking up the slope with her to her dorm. How efficient is that? 

I think he is a perfect candidate for a ceo position or political office. And yes, i am offically in love with yoojung.:D:D:D

Everyone has great interesting theories so far which make for enjoyable reads^^ But the wait to Monday is still long... so I thought I'd try translating a BTS for our non-korean/chinese speaking friends. I translated based on the chinese subs since I can't read Korean... Which means some stuff may be lost in translation (Sorry it won't be perfect translations T-T) 

Here's the BTS link: 

And here's the eng translation:

Spoiler

From 0:15

[Captions] This is Hong Seol’s Selca secret technique!

Director: This is even more hilarious *laughter*

[Captions] Pictures have been taken~

[Captions] Hong Seol who guards the pictures with her life S: Nonono- *escaping up the stairs* Just a moment—

YJ: What are you doing? Let me see—

*Both looking at the picture*

*Seol dying of laughter*

*In a state of intense concentration in order to choose the final selca to be used*

* Mischievous Yoo Jung sunbae casually zooming into the selca*

*Seol flustering*

Director: Cut!

*Whole set exploding into laughter* (xD at the camera man’s ahjussi laughter )

*Seol attacking sunbae* S: Why did you zoom into it (the picture) ??? >:

YJ: To see the picture more clearly ~ :P

*Seol dying*

[Captions] In the end Seol pleads for YJ sunbae to delete the photos

Director: Cut! *laughter* Ok~

[Captions] Seol is completely KO-ed by YJ sunbae

--

*HS & YJ practising for their kimbab scene*

*Seol fumbling with her kimbab*

Director: Cut! Why does Seol look like she’s worse at unwrapping the kimbab (than sunbae)?

*Seol looking all guilty*

[Captions] Once again seriously studying the kimbab

* Arrow pointing at Seol’s kimbab says fail xD* Director: Cut!

*laughter* *Seol gives up* S: No… Just why is it that I can’t do it??

S: (flusters) This, *holding up string* I am already disappointed with this

[Captions] Both in the drama and in real life- Hong Seol’s times of hardship-

S: This kind of situation is a first…

*Seol flopping onto the table in surrender*

Cheese in the Trap Episodes 1 & 2: More Than Meets the Eye

by itsjunemarie on Fri, Jan 08, 2016

12cc127a-cb40-49e5-b6ec-c141d14cee84.png
 0  7886  16

Hello everyone, and thanks for joining us for the first edition of the Cheese in the Trap Drama Club! We’re in the new year, which means a new drama! Cheese in the Trap has definitely been a great start, and we can’t wait for what awaits us. Join Debo, Marakeshsparrow, and me as we welcome Cheese in the Trap to the DramaFever Drama Clubs!

http://www.dramafever.com/news/cheese-in-the-trap-episodes-1--2-more-than-meets-the-eye-/

Cheese in the Trap Episodes 3 & 4: True Colors Emerge

by Jessa Leigh on Fri, Jan 15, 2016

b71eddc2-1562-405c-a3cc-7788e6f38870.png
 0  11023  262

Welcome back, fellow Cheese in the Trap lovers! It's time for another week of discussion, speculation, and general tom-foolery. Though we're only 4 episodes in, things are already ramping up--the story is drawing us in more and more and we can't wait to find out what is behind the mysterious Yoo Jung Sunbae and the adorable Baek In Ho. Just what is it about their past that has them at odds? And what will Hong Seol do when she's inevitably thrust in the middle of it? Join Debo, June, and yours truly, Marakeshsparrow, as we break it all down and dish! 

http://www.dramafever.com/news/cheese-in-the-trap-episodes-3--4-true-colors-emerge/

More and more familiar faces from the R88 thread here! Nice to meet you again. Hopefully this drama will not be as gut-wrenchingly horrible. 

Good to see the final script is done and so no sudden changes ^^

I always thought Kim Go Eun was an excellent actress and if you watched her in the movies 'Wow'

Hope to read more insights into our characters from all in the thread!

Archived