Guest ororomunroe

Just like when I was reading the webtoon, I find it very interesting how much viewers want to peg Jung as good guy or bad guy. Why does he have to be one or the other? Why can't he be a bad guy who manipulates and plays people but at the same time a good guy capable of being nice, doing good things, and even liking maybe loving a girl? Despite kdrama logic people are raerly so black and white transparent as good lead, bad annoying bitchy second female lead (because they are always female), and the perfect can't help but fall for second male lead. I like that I can't figure him out. I like his complexity, it makes him feel more real because tv tends to simplify and romanize things too much. I found their awkward date, and Seol's nervousness and lack of comfort to be real and something they will either figure out as they go along or can't and just realize they aren't compatible. 

Yeah. I'm loving the drama and all the characters. Well minus Inha who is extra in the webtoon but the actress needs to bring it down or ground it to real life probability. She's too cartoonish thus far. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

What I meant is that the only topic exchanged between YJ and his father is the situation about the siblings. As a father, he should call him in order to talk to him. However, their conversation is so reduced to that topic.

He could ask if he has a girlfriend, how his studies are going, even if he knows that YJ is intelligent and good enough. What I meant he could show that he cares for his son as well. The father has no idea how YJ's life is. I am myself a grown-up and my mother keeps calling me so that we can chat a little. Here, we saw nothing like that! I am missing some affection from the father

I agree with this and Jung's feelings on that is touched upon in the webtoon. There are just so many ways he and Seol are alike (we saw her father being an asshat too). I can't wait for the drama to hopefully get into somethings. 

13 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

To me, YJ might not have been entirely responsible for the incident with IH's hand. Yes, he witnessed what was happening, but we don't know how the fight started and maybe YJ acted the same with HS' incident with the drunk man. He called for security. Imagine if YJ was there alone and IH was attacked by three or four people with weapons?! I can understand if YJ decided to step back and call for police... but in IH's eyes, YJ's action would have appeared like a betrayal and a cowardice! HS misjudged YJ for the changed schedule and YJ never bothered to prove her that she was prejudiced towards him. Based on YJ's behaviour, I can definitely imagine that YJ has never tried to change IH's point of view knowing that IH would never believe him. The other reason is that he might have felt guilty for IH's injury if he acted like I have imagined therefore he allowed his father to support IH. 

But the deal is..in case of HS .. he didn't turn against her..did not give up on it.. still was the nice guy and kept pursuing her..while trying to uncover the real culprit..

In IH"s it appears..he got blamed and then didn't bother to continue with the friendship..but yea for more clarity gotta wait

@MrsSoJiSub I am glad to meet here again.:grin: We commented together on "discovery of romance!

I agree with your observation. HS and YJ have the same tendency: not to express their feelings and thoughts! They keep everything to themselves and it's hard for them to open up.

I guess, because of the macho attitude from HS' father, HS was never allowed to complain or to disagree with her father therefore she internalised this kind of behaviour: she accepted to be disregarded and even treated differently from her brother... she has always been the loser in her family. Although her mother did criticise her husband, she didn't have the strength to really oppose her husband's decision. 

As for YJ, I believe, he has accepted that his father is seeing him as the one responsible for IH's injury.

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

But the deal is..in case of HS .. he didn't turn against her..did not give up on it.. still was the nice guy and kept pursuing her..while trying to uncover the real culprit..

In IH"s it appears..he got blamed and then didn't bother to continue with the friendship..but yea for more clarity gotta wait

Yes, but after witnessing IH's behaviour, I came to the conclusion that IH has the tendency to blame people for his misfortune. Let me explain: When he was interviewed and he was refused, he got upset and started being more rude and putting the other under pressure. Finally he more or less insulted the other.

However, like HS said later, noone would hire someone like him because of this clothes! So if he had been dressed properly, he might have got a job much earlier. 

Then his sister's cards got suspended, he blamed YJ again for being too harsh on his sister. Nevertheless, he never asked her what had happened before! He doesn't know that YJ wants the sister to go to school! So YJ is giving her an opportunity, but she doesn't seize it because she doesn't want to change her life's style. She's a parasit and in my opinion, she is the one who took advantage from the quarrel between IH and YJ. She used her brother to have an access to money and IH doesn't realise it. Only because of his injury... so she is the worst.

I also believe that there is a misunderstanding between YJ and IH and I am hoping and expecting that HS will be the one who will bring back the two friends together.

- I haven't read the webtoon and I don't intend too -  

16 hours ago, scout said:

^ Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, he has, but she rejected him because then Seol will be a third wheel in their threesome group.

Most people are happy with the fast development of the drama but I feel like the quick pace overlooks many important aspects of all the different relationships. I wish they showed the many stories from the past where YJ indirectly tormented HS and she was suspicious of YJ. Without those important flashbacks, we don't really understand why HS is so hesitant to date him and confused by his change in behavior. I'm also sad they cut out the funny relationship she had in the comic with her gay neighbor (she's already moving out!). I'm guessing they're withholding all the stories of YJ's devious deeds, including with the assistant prof and the stalker classmate, until later, but it would really serve viewers to know now, like in the comic (I read it a while ago and don't really remember the sequence of flashbacks in the comic, but I think they showed many of the flashbacks before the confession. Maybe someone who read it more recently can confirm.). The drama just seems mainstream at the moment.

Also, SKJ is killing his role as Inho. He cracks me up but then when he's feeling lonely/aggrieved, I feel so sorry for him.

I am glad that I am not the only feeling that way.  I feel like the drama needed to at least highlights some of those moments so the audience has a better understanding of Seol's reaction.  It makes her look a bit too skittish and tones down Jung.  

12 minutes ago, Anjali Pabbareddy said:

Hello everyone.. I am new on soompi.. I liked this drama and started reading webtoon on LINE webtoon.. May I know original manhwa version is completed or still in progress??

Thanks in advance:)

The manwha is still in progress!

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes, but after witnessing IH's behaviour, I came to the conclusion that IH has the tendency to blame people for his misfortune. Let me explain: When he was interviewed and he was refused, he got upset and started being more rude and putting the other under pressure. Finally he more or less insulted the other.

However, like HS said later, noon would hire like him because of this clothes! So if he had been dressed properly, he might have got a job much earlier. 

Then his sister's cards got suspended, he blamed YJ again for being too harsh on his sister. Nevertheless, he never asked her what had happened before! He doesn't know that YJ wants the sister to go to school! So YJ is giving her an opportunity, but she doesn't seize it because she doesn't want to change her life's style. She's a parasit and in my opinion, she is the one who took advantage from the quarrel between IH and YJ. She used her brother to have an access to money and IH doesn't realise it. Only because of his injury... so she is the worst.

I also believe that there is a misunderstanding between YJ and IH and I am hoping and expecting that HS will be the one who will bring back the two friends together.

- I haven't read the webtoon and I don't intend too -  

Yo, even if Jung hadn't made opportunities for her by having a job waiting for her only if she would take a couple of day classes and get her computer license (that girl. as bad as the economy is, I wish someone would do that for me. Pay me to go to school then have a nice paying job waiting for me once I'm done...you don't even gotta ask. I volunteer) he can cut off her credit cards if he so chooses. Why? Because Inha is a grown woman. She is a grown woman who is very much capable of taking care of herself if she would bother to try. It's because Jung's father and Inho enable her antics by giving her money and such is why she is the way she is. If I was Jung I would cut you off too. Sometimes you gotta be cold hearted for the better growth of another. Why should I take care of you your whole life. I am being nice (yes if secretly manipulative and trying to keep your brother from my girl) by paying for everything and having a job waiting for you. When opportunity comes knocking (then again should she do it? What if he takes all that away if Inho continues to be around Seol...? Nah, dad would stop him and he himself wouldn't...my faith in this boy LOL) answer the door.

12 minutes ago, rhaps said:

I also don't like Inho in the webtoon. I skipped most of his part and read only his part which is related to Jung. But I like him in the drama. Kudos for SKJ for  making him more loveable and sympathetic. Drama Inho seems more mature and wise, even wiser than Jung sometimes.

I wouldn't call him wise because he is way too immature for the most part of the time (job hunting or taking the drunk man for a professor!!?).

But he has something that Jung lacks: he is able to show his emotions, while the other is not capable to reveal his true feelings. To me, YJ has built a wall around him and makes it impossible for anyone to come close to him. I sense that this is related to his relationship with IH. I guess, both have the impression, they were betrayed by the other. Nevertheless, both have issues with their behaviour: IH allows his emotions to run wild... he doesn't control these so that he makes bad decisions, while YJ is too cold and distant so that his behaviour is misinterpretated!

29 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I wouldn't call him wise because he is way too immature for the most part of the time (job hunting or taking the drunk man for a professor!!?).

But he has something that Jung lacks: he is able to show his emotions, while the other is not capable to reveal his true feelings. To me, YJ has built a wall around him and makes it impossible for anyone to come close to him. I sense that this is related to his relationship with IH. I guess, both have the impression, they were betrayed by the other. Nevertheless, both have issues with their behaviour: IH allows his emotions to run wild... he doesn't control these so that he makes bad decisions, while YJ is too cold and distant so that his behaviour is misinterpretated!

Very well said @bebebisous33 :grin:

Up until now, I like SeolxInHo better because IH urges her to do better in her life. For exemple, the advice of the dress for the date, or to stand up to people like the department assistant. Plus, he makes her happy : I love the scene under the rain !! And also that with the paper planes. So adorable !! But I agree with you, he's too immature ! I don't think Seol can date this kind of guy. 

I'm loving all this conversation regarding Jung. I have sooooo much to say but first I should get my thoughts straight. :blink: Atta boy you are confusing...and yet he's one of my favorite fictional characters. He's just so layered and (imo) he seems more human than a bunch of the heroes/heroines we get in kdramas. I can't remember who said it but +100 to the person who talked about Jung (or any character) not having to be flat-out labeled 'good' or 'bad.' There's always gray in between. 

Anyway, from day one I told myself: "don't compare the webtoon and drama too much; keep some sort of distance between the two." Its difficult to get into that mindset but I'm trying. HOWEVER I really really hope the drama develops Jung's character well + YJ×HS relationship. When I read the webtoon I pretty much spent 90% of the time asking myself "what makes you tick jung!?" And slowly, bit by bit, I started to get a better understanding of his character (not 100% complete though since I still scratch my head sometimes). There are a few scenes in particular that I found key in understanding him. Hmm even using the word 'understanding' is a bit...? Point being that I want the kdrama to flesh out the characters as marvelously as soonkki manages to do. She tugs at my heart and brain neurons so much at the same time.

Gosh, this drama is messing me up--but in the best way possible. Been watching dramas for years now, and once in a while I get the same excitement over a drama as when I first started watching them, and this drama is definitely giving me good vibes. I'm hopeful we may have another flash-frenzy of popularity on our hands! I haven't read the original content, but I'm really liking where this drama is going. The characters are the normal archetypes for drama-land (the plucky female meets the misunderstood rich boy), yet any time I think I know how the drama is going to play out, the characters diverge from their types. It's rather refreshing. 

12 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Have you seen Park Hae Jin in Bad Guys? He's a dead ringer for L. 

I'm not even watching this show but I thought I'd mention that. :D

Actually no, I only watched him on My Daughter Seo Young and My Love From The Star.

Both L and Kira were good kids with amazing intelligences who wanted to live in better world on their own perspectives. It was just Kira's approach that was wrong. I sometimes believe that Jung has an excuse being with Seol just like Light approches Misa to steal her death note. Light keeps being nice to Misa unfortunately, she is just too clueless to figure out his intention.

But, luckily Seol is smart enough. It would be more interesting if the plot itself makes us curious to figure out what will be happened next.

Archived