Cheon Ho-Jin, Yoo Ah-In & Park Hyuk-Kwon are doing a good job and the story line is pretty good. I really love love love :wub: Park Hyuk-Kwon hahaha he is such a great actor. I wish he had more screen time LOLz. Although he is super evil I cant help but like him because he has so much charisma. Best of luck to this drama.:P

• Like 4

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Six Flying Dragons" Episode 13

by William Schwartz

photo655699.jpg

The opening portion of this episode clearly establishes that, at least for the moment, Bang-won has managed to learn some badly needed humility. It certainly helps that when explaining himself, Bang-won gives nearly the exact same tearful explanation that Boon-yi has been spreading around. Bang-won is in this to help the common people, and it's mainly his fervor that got him into this mess. But with that common goal, Bang-won's loyalty is unconditional.

to read more:

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-six-flying-dragons-episode-13-88635.html

• Like 4

Top K-Drama Moments of the Week: November 2–8

by couchkimchi (soompi)

Top K-Drama Moments of the Week: November 2–8
The guys on this list may only have supporting roles, but through their redemptive actions, they prove they’re just as deserving of the spotlight as the lead characters.

7. “Six Flying Dragons” (Episode 9): That’s Our Hero?

After it was learned that Bang Won had forged the Ahn Byeon book, many set chase after him.

While trying to take one of the horses under Moo Hyul’s care, Bang Won is surrounded by childhood friend Heo Kana and a small group of fighters, who want to capture him and make him pay for his actions. However, Bang Won’s dire situation gives way to hilarity, as our hero commands Moo Hyul, who was fooled into believing he was promoted to a high ranking bodyguard, to protect him. Moo Hyul successfully pushes back the men. However, when he is ordered to grab a horse and escape, there’s a problem: Moo Hyul has no idea how to ride. LOL. The sight of Myoo Hyul bucking, swaying, and screaming had us hunched over in laughter and tears.

We look forward to watching how Moo Hyul saves the day each week.

to read more:

http://www.soompi.com/2015/11/17/top-k-drama-moments-of-the-week-november-2-8/

• Like 5

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Six Flying Dragons" Episode 14
by William Schwartz
photo655698.jpg
Now that the loyalties have more-or-less been clearly cemented, it's time for the "Six Flying Dragons" to get to work. Bang-won is able to prove his usefulness to the group somewhat hilariously by not actually doing much of anything. Any one of Seong-gye's sons could have done what Bang-won agreed to do. It's just that Bang-won is the only nearby enough and willing enough to act as a proxy for marital purposes.

to read more:
  • Like 4

The historical background to help understand Ep. 13~14

Bang-Won's North Korean Dialect

Yi Bang-Won told Jung Do-Jeon "As a man to man, can you promise me?"  In this scene, Yi Bang-Won spoke in North Korean dialect for the first time since ep 3. (He corrected his dialect after entering Sungkyunkwan.) That's why Jung Do-Jeon realized that this Yi Bang-Won was the same person as the country bumpkin boy who helped release him in Ep. 2. The fine nuance must be lost in translation.

Commoner's name

Boon-Yi says that she hates Yi Bang-Won's name itself because she can't have any sir name. In those days, commoners like Boon-Yi and Tang-Sae as well as the lowest class like slaves couldn't have any sir name. Only noble class can.

In Episode 15 preview, General Yi Seong-Gye gives Tang-Sae a new name Yi Bang-Ji (이방지, 李方地), saying "I will treat you like my own son".

Yi (李) is the general's sir name, Bang is the common syllable in the names of his son's generation in his family. The final syllable Ji (地) means 'earth, land' in Chinese characters. Oh, Tang-Sae (땅새) means 'earth, land' in native Korean language.

Lady Min

Queen Wongyeong (Lady Min) is one of the most politically influential queens in the Korean history.

In the first strife of princes in 1398, she secretly prepared all the weapons and soldiers for her husband. In the second strife of princes in 1400, she was courageous enough to almost run to the battlefield after hearing the rumor of her husband's death. Yi Bang-Won (King Taejong) respected her as his political partner, but also was afraid of her clan. She was a Joseon version of Lady Macbeth (or Hillary Clinton?)

• King Taejong's wife, Queen Wongyeong (King Sejong's mother)
  • King Sukjong's wife, Queen Inhyeon (Jang Ok-jung's rival)
  • King Gojong's wife, Empress Myeongseong (the last queen of Joseon)

All of them came from the same Min clan.

Haedong Gapjok (해동갑족, 海東甲族)

I explained about Haedong Gapjok in the previous post. Check it out.
http://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/132598891081/six-flying-dragons-ep-10

Among the top 10 Haedong Gapjok (noble clans) in Goryeo, only Hwangryeo Min clan (황려 민씨, 黃驪閔氏) and Pyeongan Jo clan (평안 조씨, 平安趙氏) are mentioned on the official SBS homepage. The rest 8 clans are unidentified.

'Hwangryeo (황려, 黃驪)' or 'Pyeongan (평안, 平安)' refers to the place where the noble family originated. It is usually called Bon-gwan (본관, 本貫), the hometown of your ancestors.

For example, Yi Bang-Won belongs to Jeonju Yi clan (전주 이씨, 全州李氏) because his old ancestors originated from Jeonju (전주, 全州), the Southwestern city of Korean peninsula, although his family's current territory is located in Hamju (함주, 咸州), the Northeastern region.

Therefore, in Ep. 14, Yi Bang-Won introduced himself to Lady Min "I'm the fifth son of Yi Seong-Gye, from Jeonju Yi clan." Likewise, Lady Min introduced herself "the daughter of Min Je from Hwangryeo Min clan".

Lady Min's father is Eoeun (어은, 漁隱) Min-Je (閔霽) of Hwangryeo Min clan. He seems to be the current leader of top 10 Haedong Gapjok. He also mentioned about their previous leader 'Teacher Yuksan (육산 선생, 六山先生)' of Pyeongan Jo clan in his first dialogue. I guess Teacher Yuksan will show up in the later episodes.

Anyways, Eoeun (어은, 漁隱) and Yuksan (육산, 六山) is their pen names, like Sambong (삼봉, 三峰) and Poeun (포은, 圃隱).

Yi Clan's Status

General Yi Seong-Gye is the people's war hero, but his family has been regarded as country bumpkins by the sophisticated, prestigious 700-year-old nobles. As you can see, the general's family consists of clumsy warriors. Most of them are far from the educated upper class.

Historically, Yi Bang-Won was the general's one and only son who passed the civil service exam, which made him cry for joy because it helped throw off his family's inferiority complex about elite noble class.

The courtesy in aristocratic marriage

The arranged marriages for noble class were an alliance between families. It was entirely determined by parents. The subjective opinions of bride/groom were mostly ignored.

First, A matchmaker tries to find out each families' intention. This matchmaker can be father's friend, mother's aunt, and close relatives, ect. 

Second, if the two families agree to marry, the groom's family sends his Saju (사 주, 四柱) letter to the bride's family. The content of the Saju letter is the groom's birth date and his parents' title. The birth date was used for a fortune-teller to predict the couple's marital compatibility.

Third, if the result is good, they will send the bride's Saju letter to the groom's family and set a wedding date. If it's not good, the bride's family won't reply and the marriage will be cancelled.

The best age to marry during Goryeo and Joseon period was 14~18. In the history, Yi Bang-Won was 15 and Lady Min was 17 when they got married.

It goes against etiquette for Bang-Won to propose to Lady Min directly. It should be through parents or a matchmaker. So, it is natural for Lady Min to be shocked by his proposal.

In addition, free love without parents' permission was a kind of taboo. It was regarded as vulgar behavior and disgrace to their family.

Edited by homura
  • Like 12

Guest chajoowon

for me the wish for absolute power means greed power worship 

it doesnt sound like someone who cares for his ppl it sound like someone of HIB kind 

i dont really get how BW became like that 

Thats factly historically wrong about that we know for sure.  You sometimes need complete power to rule effectively for your own people sake in those times.     

The best thing about Taejong that every scholar agree on, that are written in his history.  He destroyed the rivals for power but he was good leader to his people, their lives.  Every king,leader is power hungry but being  a tyrant to his own people or the nobles is two vastly different things.   Look up his history and dont make his best side look like Hong in Bang.

Dont make HIB change a real world kings history.  The greatest Roman Emperor in history killed of whole family of his rivals, Augustus killed Ceasar son, whole noble enemy familes to create peaceful empire that he becam a godlike to his people.   

The drama can lie if they want and make Bang Won a tyrant to his people too or just the fact he destoyed his rivals.   The guy practicly created Joseon where the Kings ruled mostly alone.  That is NOT evil to Korean history, culture,  its much more complex than that.  Complete power then isnt not dictator ship of today. You cant base our softer values to times where kings ruled alone but was still good kings to their people.   

Dramas like Maids where he is the evil villain is not real world history, its fake,fiction.  Like Yeongjo according to dramas he is evil old king that killed his own son Crown Prince Sado. But according to the SK history of King he is one of the most admired king for being brilliantly smart, such confucious scholar, helped create their values more, a son who worshiped his mother, defended the kingdom but in dramas he is uber villain.....

Edited by chajoowon

for me the wish for absolute power means greed power worship 

it doesnt sound like someone who cares for his ppl it sound like someone of HIB kind 

i dont really get how BW became like that 

Thats factly historically wrong about that we know for sure.  You sometimes need complete power to rule effectively for your own people sake in those times.     

The best thing about Taejong that every scholar agree on, that are written in his history.  He destroyed the rivals for power but he was good leader to his people, their lives.  Every king,leader is power hungry but being  a tyrant to his own people or the nobles is two vastly different things.   Look up his history and dont make his best side look like Hong in Bang.

Dont make HIB change a real world kings history.  The greatest Roman Emperor in history killed of whole family of his rivals, Augustus killed Ceasar son, whole noble enemy familes to create peaceful empire that he becam a godlike to his people.   

The drama can lie if they want and make Bang Won a tyrant to his people too or just the fact he destoyed his rivals.   The guy practicly created Joseon where the Kings ruled mostly alone.  That is NOT evil to Korean history, culture,  its much more complex than that.  Complete power then isnt not dictator ship of today. You cant base our softer values to times where kings ruled alone but was still good kings to their people.   

Dramas like Maids where he is the evil villain is not real world history, its fake,fiction.  Like Yeongjo according to dramas he is evil old king that killed his own son Crown Prince Sado. But according to the SK history of King he is one of the most admired king for being brilliantly smart, such confucious scholar, helped create their values more, a son who worshiped his mother, defended the kingdom but in dramas he is uber villain.....

i copied what ive written already 

"

but originally he does believe in JDJ ideal - but then again he is young and actually this part of the drama regarding LBW is fictional

so actually he never was on the same side as JDJ only his father was, so historically they are consistent characters 

LBW never was in a cave and it probably his father and JDJ idea to marry LM and he just  complied since at that time he probably didnt have a choice 

and since LM also wanted to get to the highest position for a woman we can say that although they fought on the same side they were not really friends probably"

the comment was bc it is NOT logical for a person we see now as LBW to become the future LBW unless he is of HIB kind

but since there is NO such LBW as we know now there is no conflict

he was always raised to be a king he helped his father who had an intention to become a king and LBW watched his father and always wanted to be a king

in history he never followed JDJ which was conflicting characters of his young and old - but it was never real 

and id drama they can do conflicting as much as they want - its a fachion drama 

Edited by nevill
  • Like 2

the drama wanted to make LBW justifiable in his action so they gave him "valid" reasons for what he became - these are all made up (ask @homura)

we know nothing of LBW philosophical stand at this point in history

and no personal knowledge but of his being the only one eho past the civil test and whelped the most his father in his battles and wars probably assuming he will take the throne after him

this is what history tells us and it is very different than what we see in the drama which is OK writers have their own speculation and visions 

• Like 2

Guest chajoowon

@nevil

I get what you mean about fictional story of young BW but remember he is 16-18 years old in this time even in the actual history he had to follow his fathers order and his father choose to create new dynasty with JDJ side.   When BW was old enough to seek power of course he didnt want to share with JDJ whose LSG had loyalty, partnership with.

In history when he became old enough to fight in the war he was on the same side as JDJ because that was his fathers side.   In the drama we can see the young Bang Won has more radical views on power than JDJ.  He believes in overpowering the rivals and not in political power just like his written history.  I think they will try blend young fictional BW with his adult near king days views later in the drama.

In the drama they can be as conflicting as they want but JDJ, LSG is pretty spot in what they did historically before the war.  They will follow history for BW later in the drama.   It depends on how long the drama is.

I dont get how you mean there is no logic for BW to became what he became later when he took the throne.   Its pretty common historically for allias like Bang Won and JDJ to win a war and a nation than kill each other for the throne.  Its pretty common.  Chinese Han dynasty was created like that and the same with Marc Anthony, Augustus allies than kill each other for the throne.

Edited by chajoowon

SAD A WEDDING JUST FOR POLITICAL PURPOSE...NO WONDER HE WILL CHANGE SO MUCH...

@andt78,  We know this happen a lot back then marriage. to bad GTM don't have any daughters or he would have tried to fall in with the lot of them and HID is on a beating streak.. LOL

@rainmoon,  Thanks for the preview, So now BW gets married and BY will have it hard so will BW wife because he has no feelings for her I'm wondering who idea is it for him to get married but BY always knew his status ruled her out even though they love each other so much LGS got two arrows on GTM .. GTM threatening JDJ life and LGS is threatening his this drama is just to darn good each episode isn't lagging or lacking in none of the scenes..

• Like 4

Guest chajoowon

the drama wanted to make LBW justifiable in his action so they gave him "valid" reasons for what he became - these are all made up (ask @homura)

we know nothing of LBW philosophical stand at this point in history

and no personal knowledge but of his being the only one eho past the civil test and whelped the most his father in his battles and wars probably assuming he will take the throne after him

this is what history tells us and it is very different than what we see in the drama which is OK writers have their own speculation and visions 

Yeah thats the problems with history there is seldom written thoughts behind why certain king did this and thought this.  We just have the fact, what they did and what they wanted to tell history.

I dont really care what they tell kind of fictional story of young BW as long as there is a reason why he takes the power, throne and why he doesnt want to share power with powerful officials like JDJ, Jeong Moon Jo.  They have already shown signs of his brilliant mind, his ideas.   A student can easily stop following his master and kill him for power later.   This is the times you kill your own brothers for the throne.   Destroying old teacher who wanted to share power is much easier.

@nevil

I get what you mean about fictional story of young BW but remember he is 16-18 years old in this time even in the actual history he had to follow his fathers order and his father choose to create new dynasty with JDJ side.   When BW was old enough to seek power of course he didnt want to share with JDJ whose LSG had loyalty, partnership with.

In history when he became old enough to fight in the war he was on the same side as JDJ because that was his fathers side.   In the drama we can see the young Bang Won has more radical views on power than JDJ.  He believes in overpowering the rivals and not in political power just like his written history.  I think they will try blend young fictional BW with his adult near king days views later in the drama.

In the drama they can be as conflicting as they want but JDJ, LSG is pretty spot in what they did historically before the war.  They will follow history for BW later in the drama.   It depends on how long the drama is.

I dont get how you mean there is no logic for BW to became what he became later when he took the throne.   Its pretty common historically for allias like Bang Won and JDJ to win a war and a nation than kill each other for the throne.  Its pretty common.  Chinese Han dynasty was created like that and the same with Marc Anthony, Augustus allies than kill each other for the throne.

dont get me wrong after reading about LBW i think he was a great king for the ppl - i just dislike the notion of absolute power 

which we can assume the LBW we see now is also against such notion- which i think didnt really happen in history 

but i do think he was a great man for the commoners made great changes for the better 

but it was luck and not the system - in my opinion  

• Like 2

Guest chajoowon

@nevil

dont get me wrong after reading about LBW i think he was a great king for the ppl - i just dislike the notion of absolute power 

which we can assume the LBW we see now is also against such notion- which i think didnt really happen in history 

but i do think he was a great man for the commoners made great changes for the better 

I have more neutral view on absolute power because i care about only what was good for the people at the darker times of ancient, middle ages.  

Chaos, share of power between the ministers in the end of Goryeo lead multi invasions, starvations, alot of people dying for no reason.   Absolute power by Taejong lead to better life, system for normal people, lead to golden age culture of Sejong the great.   Thats good side of complete power and of course there is corrupt complete power of kings that lead to system breaking down.

The strenght and flaw of Kings absolute power is the fact it depends on human ability.  If the king is smart,talented and powerful he can make changes for the better and if he is weak the system breaks down like later Joseon.    

Absolute power is horrible in our times because the world is much complex, bigger than those times and dictator can destroy his nation.  Before the powerful king was like Lee Seong Gye in this drama a shield from invasions, reforms for better life in dark times.

@chajoowon im sorry, i get that a lot that i dont explain right, and assume ppl wil understand sorry

my initial conflict was this 

but originally he does believe in JDJ ideal - he was actually the first to follow JDJ ideal country system

i coudnt understand how someone who believed in JDJ system of scholars ruling with the king 

can become so against it later on unless he become as HIB said about himself when talking to BY 

and i guess the drama will show how he will become like that - but it confused me at first 

• Like 1

Guest chajoowon

@chajoowon im sorry, i get that a lot that i dont explain right, and assume ppl wil understand sorry

my initial conflict was this 

but originally he does believe in JDJ ideal - he was actually the first to follow JDJ ideal country system

i coudnt understand how someone who believed in JDJ system of scholars ruling with the king 

can become so against it later on unless he become as HIB said about himself when talking to BY 

and i guess the drama will show how he will become like that - but it confused me at first 

Nothing to be sorry about i understood what you meant and i truly enjoy reading, discussing this with you :)

I agree it will be a challenge for the writers to show how Bang Won starts become against JDJ system of scholars ruling with the king.  He is a kid still and i want to believe him changing for a prince that thinks his thinking of the way to rule is better.   More than thinking his father would become a weak king.

We both look forward to see how they will show this change.

@nevil

I have more neutral view on absolute power because i care about only what was good for the people at the darker times of ancient, middle ages.  

Chaos, share of power between the ministers in the end of Goryeo lead multi invasions, starvations, alot of people dying for no reason.   Absolute power by Taejong lead to better life, system for normal people, lead to golden age culture of Sejong the great.   Thats good side of complete power and of course there is corrupt complete power of kings that lead to system breaking down.

The strenght and flaw of Kings absolute power is the fact it depends on human ability.  If the king is smart,talented and powerful he can make changes for the better and if he is weak the system breaks down like later Joseon.    

Absolute power is horrible in our times because the world is much complex, bigger than those times and dictator can destroy his nation.  Before the powerful king was like Lee Seong Gye in this drama a shield from invasions, reforms for better life in dark times.

i too think that at those times whatwas most important was stability 

but i think that absolute ruling keepthe commoners ignorant and feed subjective news on purpose and though most ppl dont care in he big pic

ignorant make for poor countries then and now 

thay is why Sejoeng the great wanted writing first for autonomy but also to make the ppl stronger and smarter so they can help make the country stronger

we are the same ppl motivated by the same things

• Like 1