Guest ororomunroe

I had no plans to post anything more here now that the drama is over, but I came across this post today and feel that it's worth sharing. Hyungsik wrote a very long and thoughtful essay about opportunity and purpose. I generally don't follow actors outside of their dramas/movies but I read this out of curiosity and was very impressed by how introspective and humble he is, with a little bit of cheekiness thrown in as well. There was also a little part of me that laughed and thought- with that much beauty and talent, he really doesn't need to THINK this hard and this much. ;) If you are able to read Korean or Chinese (translated by his Chinese fan site), here is the link. 

https://brunch.co.kr/@parkhyungsik/2

http://card.weibo.com/article/h5/s#cid=1001603869685555818649&from=1053093010&wm=3333_2001&ip=42.60.112.163

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly after  watching CS trying to convince his mother to talk JY into marrying him, I realized that he already has the mindset that they will divorce. This is the wrong attitude to have when contemplating marriage. He didn't say it once or twice, he  said it several times.....it made me sad hearing it.

actually liked how they addressed the possibility -- as CS said, everyone is going to look at their pairing and think "these two will break up"; his mom immediately raises that as her #1 objection argument. so he does not dismiss the possibility but that he just wants to live in the now and even if it happens, he won't regret his decision. since they have many bridges to cross, there are bound to be conflicts arising from background differences which could drive them apart but acknowledging them makes them more stronger.. if he had raised a rose-coloured defense that he loves her and they are never going to break up etc, his mom would have never accepted them because it would have seemed unrealistic. but with both of them going into it eyes wide open knowing there is a possibility of it failing makes it solely their call and more stronger to work through their differences. usually, those who see things with rose-coloured vision have a tougher time when reality bites. as he said, lets just live in the today with no regrets ~ so both of them will actually be quite alright.. and besides, his mom actually likes her!!!

I totally agree.  I don't think CS was actually predicting that he and JY would divorce in the end.  Rather, it was an acknowledgment that divorce is always a possibility, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't still try.  That's why I actually found it romantic when he said (something along the lines of) even if we separate after 1 day or even if we separate after 10 days, I still want to be with her now.  It's basically saying the future will be whatever the future holds, but for as long as I can have her, I want to be with the person I love.  And as we all know, CS and JY are going to love each other forever, so they're going to have each other for as long as they'd like.  ;)

I haven't posted in this thread before but now that "High Society" has ended, I just want to say that CS and JY absolutely stole the show for me.  I <3 them so much.  And it was really great seeing Chang Soo transform into a mature man who'd fight for what he want rather than letting his mom be the master of his love life.  Speaking of the mom, they were pretty cute too.  "Remember mom, I chose you!"  :P

i don't know if this question is already asked or not in this thread but one year later what is yoon ha's position in Taejin?

there's something that jiyi said that is not translated in the last scene. before she said that sentence is "No! I like it. of course its hard" ( about marriage) and then she starts by saying omonim blablabla.....

Guest meinhere

is it just me or the drama end to fast?not closing everything?
i even didn't want to watch all of the last episode look like everything is rushed to end....

well, i think when the writer wrote the script, she had 20 episodes in mind...:blink:

remember when script for episode 16 came out 2 days before it air....really in rush :crazy:

aside from the messy plot, i actually likes  the script (alot of good advices and the words is well written) and ofcourse i really love the four leads..

The end has come and this was fun. I too, like everyone else, love Chang Soo and Ji Yi. They were the rom com romance of this series and their Cinderella story was perfectly written and perfectly delivered by both actors. PHS and LJY were the best actors to play the roles of Chang Soo and Ji Yi. In this episode they were so funny in how they double teamed and gently prodded poor Mommy Yu into agreeing with them and making mom think that she was the one in charge. It is refreshing for a change to see a nice and beautiful chaebol mother.  When CS wanted mama to agree with what he wanted, he started with “mom, remember I chose you” and he knows the mother will have a vision of him coming home drunk and puking every night. He says it with a smile which makes mom cringe and freak out. Then he asks her to give permission for him to a marry Ji Yi. The mom agrees thinking that they will have a divorce anyway. Chang Soo sends mom to tell dad and convince JY to marry her son as well as polish JY to become the proper daughter in law. Mom feels the empty nest syndrome even complaining to Min Soo the older brother that her grandchildren do not come to visit her much. Chang Soo promised to be mom’s guardian which means he will live with Ji Yi at mom’s house. I think that Ji Yi will be the best among her daughter in laws and mom will love her as her own daughter as well as her grandchildren. I think that if Chang Soo ever mentioned divorce, she will throw Chang Soo out and keep Ji Yi and the kids. So Cinderella gets to live and love happily ever after.

The lead couple then would have the more sentimental relationship but paved with uneasiness and misgiving with a dose of hilarity. That story in my opinion was written for the bromance. Their story made sense. They were the lead odd couple as far as I am concerned. They were so cute in their friendship. It would have been good if their story was written for Joon Ki and Yoon Ha. It would explain Joon Ki’s behavior. I know it would be a clichéd trope but it would have made sense rather than JK just hating being poor. Yoon Ha’s story was all over the place and there were too many characters involved in her story. The story of the family belongs in a psychology drama rather than a rom com. There was the miraculous epiphany of the alcoholic mother whose drinking could have cooked her liver, her guts or her brain, she belonged in a rehab center. YH was here and there (let me not start), and the brother was depressed ran away from home and came back, the eldest sister was vengeful, greedy and has the tendency to become a killer if she does not get what she wants, the father only recognizes money and made children fight for their share and a middle sister whom nobody cares about. YH story was so muddled by all these extra characters so how can she concentrate on her love story? I was rooting for them as much or even more as I rooted for CS and JY in the beginning but it seemed there was nowhere to go with them. If the story of Chang Soo and Joon Ki was written for them with a little bit of polishing, I think they would have shone. But I will take whatever I can although I would have preferred JK during his self-imposed break to find someone who can shake and move his heart just like JY moved CS heart.

Anyway there was that conversation between JK and CS on the bench after the biking. JK asks CS whom he chose and CS says JY. He also says now he has to work hard and be responsible and JK says CS he always had the ability “punk” and CS asks JK why he quit his job and JK says he wants to take a break and live with his parents and decide what he wants. CS tells JK to go back and work with him “punk”.  My conclusion is that Joon Ki went back to work with CS….. together again.  My favorite character is Joon Ki

Thank You all my friends in this forum, it was so much fun. 

Guest ororomunroe

UEE already misses Jang Yoon Ha from ‘High Society’

mzCaKvq.jpg

SBS TV Mon-Tue drama ‘High Society’ came to an end yesterday (July 30th), and After School’s UEE has revealed her thoughts about it.

UEE said, “My first filming where I was nervous yet excited seems to have taken place just yesterday, and I am now missing Jang Yoon Ha already. With ‘High Society’ now completed, I am really thankful to my same-age cast members, my seniors who have given me encouragement and guidance, the staff members who have given great support and worked tirelessly continuously, and viewers who have stayed with us till the end. I will continue to learn and work hard in future. I have gained valuable experience and friends from this drama, and it’s the greatest gift and blessing that I could ever have. Once again, I would like to thank everyone who have been with ‘High Society’ in the past few months.”

UEE took on the female lead role of Jang Yoon Ha in ‘High Society,’ and won much praise for her acting in leading the drama.

Source

I am so addicted to watching JK-YH kiss scenes. Sungjoon is such a gentle kisser. He's not forceful like some actors (reminds me of jongsuk. He's also gentle). I'm also glad that Uee is respoding well to him. Sungjoon did say he was tired of kissing uee (joking? Idk) but that didn't prevent him from kissing her beautifully. To me anyway.

In the lift, he said that he started to "love" yoonha since he saw her the first time, right? I don't buy it tho. Intrigued, maybe.

im finally done with this show! i love the two couples, especially CS and JY. ok, i am biased. i like CS mainly because of his role, which is cheeky and persistent. of course his acting skills were also very good, especially so for his crying scenes! it all seemed so real when he cried. it sort of tore my heart away.. 

i was actually quite disappointed with the ending. i didn't think that it was very nicely planned out. 

1. what happened to YH's brother and his dad? he only had a confrontation with his sister and walked off. i guess his parting sentence to his sister was a powerful one but i was hoping for more coming from her brother during his absence. on the good note, YH didn't believe what her sis said to her about her brother and i liked that they are very close right from the start. its a shame her brother had very little screen time. 

2. how can CS and JY end off with just a hug on the rooftop? sigh.. i was expecting more to be honest, like how the two of them started off with many playful scenes in between. it would be nice to see how JY live with CS's mum and how well they both can get along. 

3. JK's proposal to YH is such a flop.. its brought over so quickly. the kiss in the lift did help to alleviate alittle but it wasnt enough! they need more 'together' screen time. sigh. 

4. what happened to JK's career? he was so career-minded at the first of the show and it just sort of die down? there's like no proper closure to that part.. 

i really enjoyed this drama and looked forward to it every week. the developments moved well but i honestly feel that the ending could have been much better. nonethelesss... another good drama off my list. 

thanks everyone for allowing me to share and participate. only fellow drama fans will understand. :) 

Lmangla "and can anyone explain what happened with the brother in the end? so he just waltzed back in and got his position?"

@Lmangla, the brother it seems has been investing his allowance since high school in companies other than his father's company which if he invested well he would have been a millionaire or billionaire by the time of the drama and he is now become a board member of Abimama Corp which means he has big shares in that company. He has come to make a deal with his father for a merger of the Alibamama and Taejin and dad is thinking about it. His son owns a chunk of shares in Taejin and Alibamama so his father thinks it is a good idea being that his son is related by shares in both companies. YW does not like it because then she could lose her job during the merger. So that is what became of the brother. He is going do unfriendly/hostile takeover of his father's company.

I miss HS already...to bad it end....yes, I still curious what happen with JK's career and how YH's family approve JK and YH relationship. sigh....I have to move on...just can't wait for Sung Joon's next project, I hope he will get a main role in next drama.

Finished watching Episode 16 with Eng. subs.… let me start with the parts i disliked or hate the most about this drama as a whole:

- YH's family, their problems, takeover of the company…the writer probably think it's necessary to convey the meaning behind the drama's title "High Society," but i agree with one poster who said that the writer could have just kept it in the background rather than making it the forefront like in "Kill Me, Heal Me," which i love a lot, one of the reasons being is that taking over the company became secondary to the drama's plot whereas the parts that matter the most were emphasized - this is what could have been for "High Society"

- Mistress screen time…she was funny and all at first, but she gotten annoying & irrelevant as the story progressed

- YH’s sister with the funny voice…could have edited her out…make it just 3 siblings of the Jang family

- YH's brother changing from someone so thoughtful of his mother and YH to someone who didn't seem to realize the toll his "death" took on them.  Also, YH’s brother begins to fight back at Ye Won.  Why now?  Towards the end of the drama at that?  We didn’t even get to see a resolution to their rivalry.  All we did see is YH becoming Vice President of Taejin Group – that office looked the same as Ye Won’s before.  So does that mean GJ won at the end by kicking Ye Won out?? Or what??  I mean, if the drama is going to give us the company and YH’s family’s issues, they should have briefly shown us the ending/resolution to it, but they didn’t.  SO FRUSTRATING.  That time spent on them and such could have been spent on our four leads, especially YH and JK’s relationship.   

- YH and JK’s character development…all I can say is it could have been better…could have kept the bad parts short & resolved and the good parts long & magnified…*sigh*…

- YH and JK's relationship…why, oh why, do the BEST parts of it feel soooooooooooooo short???????  First half of the drama was spent on JK deceiving YH about his intentions with her (we weren't given much hints of his true feelings for her until Ep. 9), and much of the middle part was spent on YH hating JK, and JK suffering for it.  Then, some time spent on JK winning her back and YH softening but still cold towards him…then, little time left for YH and JK becoming good friends/colleagues…time was still spent on flashbacks…then the last couple of minutes of YH pursuing JK indirectly, showing him that she loves him too…VERY little time was spent on their reunion…then a time-jump of them dating and being truly in love with each other that wasn't disclosed to us…and a few minutes on JK's proposal…actually that last scene, which i thought was nice and all of the friends being together, BUT ….i just wished JK and YH had a separate scene to themselves; JK barely talked to YH at the table nor did we see them having some time alone as a real couple where their love is no longer one-sided…SO ANNOYING…I blame the writer(s)

- I wanted to see whether YH’s family would accept JK as part of the family now that he proposed to her at the end even though they’re from different family backgrounds…actually, I want to know what the family thinks since they’ve been dating for a year…did they accept him?  How did that happen?  Did YH's father acknowledge him?  I wish this were disclosed in the drama

- I also wanted to see where JK is working at, what his plans are now…he mentioned about working part-time, but is that it for now?  How about later? …same for YH…does she just want to be at the top now (her positon)?  Why? Just because her sister wants it?  Or did her reason for being at the top change?  Or is she just doing this to show she’s accepting the fact that her background is who she is and that she can’t escape from it, nor the relations she has with her family? So many questions left unanswered…

Parts I love from this drama:

- Eye Candy…there were lots of it…as individuals and as couples…Park Hyung Sik …so dashing!  It’s amazing what a change in hairstyle can do.  Sung Joon!!!! His looks and deep voice…So hotLOL…I never noticed him before till now…UEE, even in some distasteful clothing (what's up with that, stylist?) is still pretty… Lim Ji Yeon..also cute and charming…Lee Sang Woo…sooooo handsome…The pairing of Sung Joon and UEE was brilliant…they look so physically compatible together…I hope they have another drama together with tons of chemistry and kisses along with a really good storyline

- Kissing scenes of JK and YH/Sung Joon and UEE...it was well done!!! I’ve seen a lot of kissing scenes in my K-drama viewing experience and it was all “meh” moments for me.  For these two, they’re role models that should be followed when it comes to kissing in K-dramas. 

- Chemistry among our leads, whether it’s the girls, the boys, or the OTP or STP…it was there…whether it was brief or lengthy

- Certain lines said by the characters of the drama are memorable for me

- Certain relationships that stood out to me, that made me go “AWWWWWWWWW” a lot, or that was heartfelt and touching:  YH and her oppa, YH and her dad at some parts, JK's parents together (they're soooooo adorable!), JK and his mom, JK and his dad, YH and JK’s mom, the sismance and the bromance, of course

As an overall, it was a bumpy, at times frustrating like pull one's hair out frustrating (LOL), yet fun ride…I enjoyed spazzing with you all here in this drama’s forum.  Thank you everyone!!! Love ya!!!

Actually it has been a long time that I can't dedicate myself to a K-Drama after IOTL. I was so frustrated with the kissing scenes being immature. Although the story line was good, these kind of scenes made me feel a little bit awkward as I struggled to believe in the romance.

But this drama made it so good. I think it had  the best kissing scenes after IOTL. And also my previous comment about PHS. What happened to him? His hairstyle changed and a heartthrob is born. He was gorgeous in this drama. His character falling in love in the first moment he saw LJY was awesome. It was very obvious that they would be an outstanding couple in the scene where they started bickering when they first met. Their chemistry was just there. 

I think UEE is cute but still I have this feeling that SJ would be better with a different female lead but we all have to admit that UEE has progressed so much after "You are beautiful".She has developed herself so much in acting and she was very good in portraying different characters. 

hi guys. im new to the thread. i just watched the drama. i love both Joonki-Yoon Ah and ChangSoo-JiYi couple ! they give different vibes. playful for CS and JY but mystery yet full of love for JK and YA. heheheheh.. 

actually, i want to ask where i can watch the BTS of this drama. i remeber i watched the BTS on youtube but now they had been blocked. so if anyone where else i can watch them? thank you in advance :)

Guest haduukin

I had no plans to post anything more here now that the drama is over, but I came across this post today and feel that it's worth sharing. Hyungsik wrote a very long and thoughtful essay about opportunity and purpose. I generally don't follow actors outside of their dramas/movies but I read this out of curiosity and was very impressed by how introspective and humble he is, with a little bit of cheekiness thrown in as well. There was also a little part of me that laughed and thought- with that much beauty and talent, he really doesn't need to THINK this hard and this much. ;) If you are able to read Korean or Chinese (translated by his Chinese fan site), here is the link. 

https://brunch.co.kr/@parkhyungsik/2

http://card.weibo.com/article/h5/s#cid=1001603869685555818649&from=1053093010&wm=3333_2001&ip=42.60.112.163

CAN YOU PLEASE TRANSLATE THIS ARTICLE??????

Archived