[Drama 2015] Masked Prosecutor 복면검사 - Thank You For Watching!!!

kbleon

Aish! I can't get over how funny Ma Sang Ho was on television. Ma did a great job selling the Masked Man's case. He said, "some day if I get into the National Assembly, I will introduce a bill to the constitution. Article 1.1 - Live properly or you will be beaten." I laughed wildly, it was so funny the way he said it. Then he said, "I was joking." Haha, Ma should become a TV comedian instead of being an assemblyman. I don't think I recall any other drama with so many excellent side characters, they are all noteworthy and they have their own personalities. It is too bad assemblyman Moon's son is so weak, all MP had to do is one kick and he is down, both times. I was hoping for a massive beating like Ma took the first time around. I think the biggest weakness of this drama was how slowly the subtitles came in and that hampered our enthusiasm to participate in this thread. The true weakness of the drama was the motorcycle attack of Min Hee, I would say everyone, even the best fans of Kim Sun Ah, was disappointed by her "dampsel in distress" non action and that actually lost a lot of credibility for the drama. Other than that, I would say this is one of my favorite dramas.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the drama series is over, we don't have to worry about the second female lead turning evil any more. It is fine for me to say what a great female second lead Seo Ri-Na was, she was the best I have ever seen. SRN was beautiful and intelligent; she was righteous and supportive of prosecutor Ha. Even when she was drunk, she still looked classy. SRN attended HDC's wrestling match and was cheering him on like a wild fan would. She smiled when her guy proposed to MH for marriage. She is now HDC's boss as an attorney. I am sure all of us are unhappy she does not have a suitor, but the scene where she opened the door for the chief prosecutor to see the righteous prosecutors, there were quite a few good guys there. Maybe she could find a nice guy in that group; but for sure she couldn't find another one like HDC. But as viewers we can all applaud SRN for being the best female second lead ever. Hwaitin'!

Now that the drama series is over, we don't have to worry about the second female lead turning evil any more. It is fine for me to say what a great female second lead Seo Ri-Na was, she was the best I have ever seen. SRN was beautiful and intelligent; she was righteous and supportive of prosecutor Ha. Even when she was drunk, she still looked classy. SRN attended HDC's wrestling match and was cheering him on like a wild fan would. She smiled when her guy proposed to MH for marriage. She is now HDC's boss as an attorney. I am sure all of us are unhappy she does not have a suitor, but the scene where she opened the door for the chief prosecutor to see the righteous prosecutors, there were quite a few good guys there. Maybe she could find a nice guy in that group; but for sure she couldn't find another one like HDC. But as viewers we can all applaud SRN for being the best female second lead ever. Hwaitin'!

I agree, I usually dislike second female lead but SRN is different, she is everything you described plus more, i really like her character and the actress too.  I hope she can be a lead someday.

I think someone previously described this drama as a gem, and I have to second that.  Definitely one of my favorites with some classy, talented stars.  It's rare that we get a drama with an original story and actors that capture the personalities of the main characters so very well.  The last 2 episodes were delightful, and the ending was hilarious!  Artistically, it was well done and really fun.

When we first heard the news that this drama is kind of funny/slapstick comedy/unnatural /rare in korean dramas and for  the mask some makes jokes of it and even saying that its not going to work .. some of the bloggers review the drama for 2 or 3 episodes n stop but  not like other dramas until now they keep on reviewing .. so sad they totally ignored this drama .. but who cares .. i still have faith for this drama as its getting better once it gets to episodes 6 onwards  and this drama actually  is so good and fun  till the end .. .. I am  so happy that it did went well with all the the characters in Masked Prosecutor ..:)

For  the 2 leads JSW  n KSA did played their role very very well , both are excellent in their characters - tumbs up to both leads!!  , the baddies (JST - the bad, evil  n cunning man - well done Jung Kwang Ryul ! ,  HW  @ Umh Ki Joon - so desperate to be a powerful prosecutor and faithful son at the same time and leads  to a downfall for himself )  MOM @ Jung Ae ri - evil, manipulative, greedy - well done to her for playing her role very well (even i hate her role ) ha ha  , KHJ @ - coward and powerless as he always depending on others...

Also on par with them are  the supporting actors such as JHS @Lee Moon Shikk  (ohhh I will miss him as his character always bright up every scenes with JSW, Prosecutor MA ( ha ha funny man ..more of him in future please ..ha ha) , Uncle (nicely done with his character ) and of course our SRN (She's such a beauty n classy .. looking forward to see her more in dramas) 

Totally I'm not disappointing with this drama , there's a  few loopholes in the editing n directing but still a good and wonderful drama to watch ..

Hi @kbleon, we meet again this time in MP. Lol. Back then, was BOAB. How I wish there could be more romantic loving scenes between both JSW and KSA.  Just like BOAB, between JSW and HYS. Though, I've really enjoyed the episodes and the ending was sweet. Hope JSW lands another project soon and perhaps, his lead actress will be Seo Ri Na. Who knows? Lol. Been great looking at the comments here. Hope u see u all in the other threads soon.

Currently, I'm watching TTWWNNI. Ha Ji Won is just gorgeous. It would be a dream come true if she's partnered alongside JSW. :D

Finally...finally sat down and get to watch the whole drama. The subbing was initially slow, albeit, I was busy as well, so I didn't really chase after the drama and waited till it finish to finally watch it so by the time I reach to the new episodes, they will be subbed. 

I admit, I've never Joo Sang Wook's prior works, but I know that I would be checking it out. He is a really good actor; he nailed all the subtle emotional scenes that I couldn't help but laugh with him and smile with him. Hwang Sun Hee has always fly under the radar for me because she always played the poised and rich girl in the dramas that I've seen her (Master Sun and Sign), so I was pleasantly surprised and glad to see her express more emotion during her drunken scene with Kim Sun Ah. I would like to see more of her, and I hope she gets a huge breakthrough in the near future. 

All and all, it is a good drama. I do have to say and agree that the actors and actresses are the one who pull this whole drama through. Without them, the script probably wouldn't hold on their own because there are some parts that are relatively weak (especially the cops competence). Love many of the minor characters. I love Dae Cheol's relationship with his side kick (really act like husband and wife and I really crack up at those scenes in which he was showing sympathy to Dae Cheol's background while Dae Cheol was trying to figure out what he had said in his drunken outburst), and I love Dae Cheol's relationship with Prosecutor Ma (the poor and lucky guy). And kudos to Jeon Kwang Leol and Eum Ki Joon...I love their acting range. 

It's a fun ride...sad that it didn't get a high rating, but I like the drama. Oh my god, can't help but gush, but can I add how much I love the psychological battle between Dae Cheol and Hyun Woong. When you think that Hyun Woong has the upper hand, Dae Cheol does something to throw him off, and just when you think Dae Cheol is safe, Hyun Woong has something up his sleeves (love the scene in episode 13 in which Dae Cheol managed to deceive Hyun Woong into thinking that he is a trash who would do anything to succeed). It's those battles that make the drama engaging.

Guest shantanushitut

I agree, I usually dislike second female lead but SRN is different, she is everything you described plus more, i really like her character and the actress too.  I hope she can be a lead someday.

Well the drama has ended after a very lukewarm response from the viewers.This drama will be a curious case as to why it didn't click despite such a wonderful cast. Anyways talking about Uri Seo Rina (very possesive about hwang sun hee..hehe), i agree with all that she has been nothing like a typical cliched second lead...Beauty+Brains=CLASSY. But i have a grouse that her character wasn't developed much limited to office scenes. I would have liked a bit more involvement of her character in the plot, but i guess that would be asking too much for a second lead....lol

I hope to see her soon in another drama as a lead. Not sure why she hasn't made it big given her talent. Her role in Signs was amazing where she played a psycopath killer. She has done it all. Negative role, lead role, second lead role,innocent sweet etc.i too hope she gets to play a lead!!!!

Me too! SRN is different as she always has a good sense and a good friend, too! She's unselfish and knows how to love really well.

Love Seo Ri Na in this Drama. She helped and supported DC till the end. The most loveable second female lead ever in dramaland.

Well, JSW and WSH look super good together, hope they will team up as the leads in future. 

Rants and Weekly Raves #46 (RAWR)

!st Review

Masked Prosecutor

vlcsnap-00001.png

watched the last episode for Joo Sang-Wook. *sigh*. No charm. No charm at all. It feels like everybody did their duty but that's it. Oh my poor darling! I really hope you're not going from being typecast as sad prosecutor to being typecast for ... whatever you've been playing in your last three dramas.

Haha, Kakashi! You couldn't resist forever, ne?

But you're right that this drama fell very, very flat. I can't quite figure out why, actually, because aside from the weird music I liked all the individual components. But pulled together as a whole it was just...dull. The one aspect in which this drama genuinely fascinated me was as a cultural artifact of modern Korean attitudes on filial piety. Each of the four central characters had different relationships with their parents, and their differing fates within the drama gave an indication of how the producers interpret contemporary social ideals.
2015-07-12%2B02.14.21%2Bpm.png
Joo Sang-Wook's righteous prosecutor colleague, Seo Ri-Na, was also the daughter of a powerful politician. Ri-Na and her father battled corruption both individually and as a team, and together modeled the traditional ideals for two core Neo-Confuscian social relationships: between bureaucrats and their constituents (honor, integrity, etc.), and between parents and children (loyalty, sacrifice, etc.). That both characters remained healthy and successful throughout the show speaks to an enduring appreciation for these ideals, so it was much more intriguing to see how the drama treated its characters who fell short of them.
fullsizephoto599418.jpg
The other three central characters, Ha Dae-Chul (Joo Sang-Wook), Yoo Min-Hui (Kim Sun-Ah), and Kang Hyun-Woong (Uhm Ki-Joon), had more complicated relationships with their parents, and more diverse reactions to those complications. Hyun-Woong's behavior was probably the most traditional. Despite indications of a previously strong moral character, when he discovered that his parents were lying, cheating thieves, he became a lying, cheating murderer to protect them. This is a depiction of filial piety I have seen in a lot of KDrama villains of the younger generation -- "I'm not evil, I'm just filial!" -- and it also represents a long-held interpretation of filial piety under which children should be willing to sacrifice everything, including their integrity and even their own lives, to protect and honor their parents. And yet, as with so many KDrama villains before him, he failed. The final episode of Masked Prosecutor saw Hyun-Woong incarcerated, his mother shattered, and his father dead by suicide.
Masked_Prosecutor_2015-8847.jpg
In fact, Hyun-Woong's mother was so shattered by her own elder son -- Ha Dae-Chul. Dae-Chul painstakingly orchestrated the series of events that led to his father's vindication at the expense of his mother and her second family, even though it clearly pained him to betray her. The show went to great lengths to make that betrayal more palatable to viewers -- Dae-Chul's mother was repeatedly shown expressing blatant favoritism for her second son, Hyun-Woong, and outright scorn and contempt for Dae-Chul, even going so far as to perpetrate an outrageous charade designed to fool Dae-Chul into thinking she truly loved him solely as a means to recruit him to protect his younger half-brother. Yet under one interpretation of filial piety, Dae-Chul should have honored and protected her regardless. What keeps Dae-Chul's narrative from breaking too strongly with tradition is that his filial piety was directed toward his father at the expense of his mother. Dae-Chul was, in fact, a deeply filial son, who sacrificed his own dreams and future to follow his father's path for him and achieve his father's goals. And, arguably, when one's mother stands in the way of honoring one's father, Neo-Confucianism would dictate that you sacrifice your mother, which he did. The show punished Dae-Chul mildly for that sacrifice, but then allowed him to live happily ever after in the end, suggesting that the storytellers also agree that he made the right choice.
2015-07-12%2B02.01.28%2Bpm.png
2015-07-12%2B02.04.32%2Bpm.png
Credit to Viki for the captions.
Yoo Min-Hui also had one "good" parent and one "bad" parent, but unlike Dae-Chul, Min-Hui's "good" parent was her mother. Min-Hui was, in fact, the product of rape, and when she learned her birth-father's identity it seemed that she might pursue justice for her mother at his expense. In the end, however, it was justice for Dae-Chul's father that she really pursued. Once again, this seems contrary to Neo-Confucian values on the surface, but when you consider that Min-Hui chose her (future) husband and father-in-law over her own father, perhaps it wasn't such a break after all?
2015-07-12%2B01.57.19%2Bpm.png
Especially since Min-Hui was clearly willing to arrest her father, but despite knowing he was not only a rapist, but also a thief and a murderer, she was unable to shoot him herself in the end, even when she felt her life was threatened. And in sacrificing himself to save Min-Hui, her father modeled the reverse aspect of filial piety (since filial piety is technically supposed to go both ways, but the emphasis has often fallen much more heavily on the child's responsibilities than on the parent's), making him perhaps not such a villain after all, from a Neo-Confucian perspective, at least.
04_zpsdpqxshrl.jpg%257Eoriginal.jpg
Ultimately, filial piety has always been a problematic concept to reconcile with parents who don't honor their children, or each other, or the rest of society. And while Masked Prosecutor showed diverse reactions to that dissonance in its various characters, in the end I think it continued to uphold a fairly traditional interpretation of Neo-Confucian values. The biggest shift that I saw was that MP came down clearly on the side of honoring one's responsibilities as a public official over one's parents. For Dae-Chul and Min-Hui it softened the blow quite a bit by giving them more "important" filial obligations to honor in place of the parents they sacrificed, but it's still a shift from a long-held interpretation that filial piety was paramount.
Well gosh.
Hehehe, too much? ;-)
No, that was interesting. I never watched even a minute so I had no idea of the plot and that's just...wow.
Glad to have you on board, Nabi :) 

2. Reviews

Masked Prosecutor – Final Comments

It’s kinda sad for me to wave goodbye to Show, as it ended its run recently. The story is pretty solid, as long as we close one eye to the ridiculous concept of a prosecutor donning a boxing mask and going around to beat up criminals who walk free because of corrupted lawmakers. I don’t think it’s that difficult to accept, really, because he is a vigilante afterall, and don’t we all love an underdog story? Sadly, Show lost week after week in the ratings game, which makes it a good example of how ratings aren’t necessarily equivalent to how good or bad a plot is

[TSKS][The.Masked.Prosecutor][015][KO_CN][(107137)18-47-29]

Anyway, besides the hilarious antics of Ha Dae Chul aka the Masked Prosecutor (Joo Sang Wook), Show most likely claims the worst parents of 2015’s mini series in K Dramaland. Back in my half-time review I was kinda dissing Dae Chul’s selfish non-existent Mom, and then in the second half of Show, it was revealed that the Big Bad Jo Sang Taek (Jeon Gwang Ryul) is actually Yoo Min Hee’s (Kim Sun Ah) father.

It was kinda expected, yet unexpected, but it certainly changed the dynamics a little when Min Hee got to know of her parentage. Jo is the person she works really hard to nab but often fails, because being an ex-cop, Jo knows very well how the police works and is crafty enough to escape every time. Her half-sister Yeon-ji (Shin Ji Soo) is mostly harmless till the very end, thwarting Min Hee and Dae Chul’s plan to capture Jo. Anyway, Jo tried to use the fact that he is Min Hee’s biological father as a leverage to avoid capture initially, but when Min Hee has no intention to acknowledge it, he reverts to his cruel self and has no qualms attacking Min Hee or people around her to get his way.

[TSKS][The.Masked.Prosecutor][016][KO_CN].mkv0184

Dae Chul’s Mom remains selfish to the very end, and her hatred towards Dae Chul, although reason revealed, was kinda meh and without much explanation to the why. It is satisfying though, to see Dae Chul realises his father’s words at the end, “Do not let those who’re worse than beasts die happily; they must die like a beast.” We get no explanation how and why Dad was framed as a North Korean spy and Dae Chul ended up in an orphange, but my guess is Mom has a hand in all of it, and it’s most likely to satisfy her materialistic need. Her second husband conveniently took Dae Chul’s Dad research, pass off as his and end up being rich, while making Dad a fugitive; Mom is in no way innocent, especially when she revealed that she hated looking at Dae Chul because he reminds her of her ugly past. What kind of Mom is that? And to think Dae Chul always think of her, ugh. Mom repeatedly requests Dae Chul to help her other son Hyun Woong (Uhm Ki Joon), and towards the end she blatantly acknowledges only Hyun Woong as her son, it was difficult to watch.

[TSKS][The.Masked.Prosecutor][016][KO_CN][(036471)18-44-21]

I like Show for its battle of wits between Team Dae Chul and Team Villians, although it was hilarious each time Dae Chul shows up masked beating up people. It’s cute that he actually made friends with some people he had beaten up, such as conman Jang Ho Shik (Lee Moon Shik), and a fellow corrupted prosecutor. I also thought that it was realistic for Dae Chul to lose his license to practise law, although he still works in a law firm eventually. His love for boxing remains, or rather, he started boxing because of his crush on Min Hee initially. Noble idoicy lasted for all of like, a minute, which is awesome. All in all, Show is an enjoyable ride, and recommended to anyone who wants something that’s not romcom, but not dark and dreary.

Finally I am able to watch the final 2 subbed episodes! What a long wait.

I love them! I was smiling widely at the end with a peaceful heart, so thank you Masked Prosecutor!

I love Min Hee remembering the kiss with Dae Chul and then confirming to herself that he was The Mask with a flashback to their encounters and that accidental kiss with The Mask. She was able to compare the 2 kisses and verified that they were from the same man. LOL

Evil Mom - she was totally without remorse towards Dae Chul. Even to the very end, she still blamed him and asked Min Hee why he should appear and caused her pain and hurt! Everything about herself not for her first son!

My heart melts when DC acknowledged Jang Ho Sik as Hyung and Ho Sik graciously accepted it. The friendship between the 2 has grown wonderfully deep. 

Love it that we get to see Ma Sang Ho again and glad that he was really grateful to The Mask for saving him from getting dirtier.

I concur with all, absolutely, that Prosecutor Seo Ri Na is the best, most classy second female lead! And she gets to boss DC now! haha.

Finally on our OTP. Their very first date (not counting the buy dress date) was so sweet and sad. Love it that DC told her he fell for her at first sight. I cried when he requested her, at the end of the date, to be the one to handcuff him. The proposal at the ring! Gosh, with all their family and friends to witness and be happy for them. I felt like I was also there to cheer them on! 

My thanks to everyone here for making watching this drama so much more meaningful. @Kbleon, @Docster6, @Melchai, @Yurichin, @Chickpea, @Valsava, @kenixoon   Thank You!

I found this... ha ha

Friday Flicks: Masked Prosecutor

Okay, so I’m six episodes from finishing it, but I’m waiting until tomorrow so that I can sit in bed and binge watch it. Of course, I’m using DramaFever, and they are having issues with licencing agreements, so I have to wait two weeks after they air in Korea to watch them, but it’s high quality, I don’t have commercials, and yeah.

Okay, so I started watching this after I finished “Blood,” which by the way, is richard simmons fantastic and will make you sob your eyes out. I didn’t know who was crying harder the last two episodes, me or Gu Hye Sun.

Anyway, I decided to watch this, because…well…I’m just going to put this out there.

Joo Sang Wook is hot as richard simmons. Goddamn. Call the police and the fireman because I am having a heart attack with all that grown richard simmons sexiness.

I mean, look at this:

oh my gawdoh my gawdmy poor heartmy poor hearti can't eveni can’t even

And then look at this piece of richard simmons with clothes on:

go awaygo awaymake it stahpmake it stahp

Can you BELIEVE this man? How can one be so goddamn sexy AND adorable?

Putting my life ruiner aside, “Masked Prosecutor” just finished airing in Korea, setting record ratings as it finished.

It has 16 episodes, and I finished episode 10…last week? Yeah, anyway.

It’s about Ha Dae Chul who grows up in an orphanage, and one day his birth father shows up with a crackpot story, and he ends up living with him.

He grows up to be a prosecutor, thanks to dear old dad, but on the side, he’s a masked vigilante who takes care of the criminals when the law won’t.

While growing up, he has a crush on a girl who grows up to become a police officer.

They end up at working in the same district and he’s her lead prosecutor.

I can’t tell you anymore, but there are hi-jinks, but there’s more action than anything, but it was real slow. Like, I wasn’t that interested until episodes 3-5, and usually if I’m not hooked by the end of 1 or 2, I end it.

I tried to, but…Joo Sang Wook T^T

Masked Prosecutor
복면검사
KBS (2015) 16 Episodes
Crime Melodrama, Romance
"Truth! Justice! And the Korean Way!"

MP1010.jpg

Korean Drama Review by Jill, USA
Some Spoilers Ahead

~~~~~~~~

I thoroughly enjoyed this exciting and suspenseful melodrama, Masked Prosecutor (2015), because of the many charms of the two main leads, wonderful pro actress Kim Sun Ah (Scent Of A Woman, My Lovely Sam Soon), playing a high ranking cop on the force, and especially handsome Joo Sang Wook (Good Doctor, Sly And Single Again) in the title role of the secretive masked prosecutor, plus the excellent supporting cast, including Kim Sun Ah's co-star in Scent Of A Woman, actor Um Ki Joon (Dream High, I Hear Your Voice). Ki Joon had played her oncologist in the unforgettable classic Scent Of A Woman, who had fallen in love with her, and here he plays a prosecutor who puts his job and office politics first over any hint of romance between the two (even though it's clear he is fond of her and that she cares for him as a person and friend).

The foundation of the plot -- of a prosecutor who dons a mask at night to scare criminals who have escaped the law's clutches -- seems on the face of it to be something out of a comedy webtoon caper. However, it's to the credit of the AMAZING acting talents of Joo Sang Wook in the title role that he makes the entire story line plausible, realistic, and understandable, even sometimes emotionally shattering, and you end up in his corner all the way because he has excellent reasons for doing what he's convinced he has to do to reform criminals, by putting the fear of God into them through the use of a mask. Many end up changing their lives for the better because of his hidden identity and forceful words and actions, which shakes the criminals to their core. He and his donning of the mask do more to reform men's hearts than years in jail would have done supposedly in the name of rehabilitation. He challenges the criminals to change the course of their direction in life for the better. Incarceration rarely does it, for most criminals exit jails and just go right back to committing more crimes. Why not try a different way to motivate them to righteousness? That's the overall theme of this story.

maskedprosecutor_law_or_mask.jpg

How best to obtain justice and changed lives?
Going by the book of the law, or the use of
surreptitious means
to achieve specific noble ends?

By day, Dae-chul Ha (Joo Sang Wook) is a by-the-book prosecutor and by night he becomes a masked vigilante, seeking out criminals unpunished by the law and therefore primed to repeat criminal offenses, often because they feel they have bucked the system so why not continue their illegal activity unabated? Also pursuing justice in her own way is tomboyish violent crimes detective Min-hee Yoo (Kim Sun Ah) on the city police force. Both of these individuals were drawn into working for the justice system because of certain events that occurred in their formative years. The two had gone to the same high school and Dae-chul had had a secret crush on the no-nonsense Min-hee, who would challenge him to better himself.

As adults they meet again in their chosen line of work, but will the two of them become allies or adversaries? Will love have any chance to blossom after a long suppressed attraction? When Min-hee meets the Mask, she at first can't tell who it is, even when he goes out of his way to rescue her from a madman on a motorcycle who is trying to run her down and kill her. She cannot help but be touched that he risks his life to save hers, and when he starts sending her anonymous text messages with heart emoticons galore she starts to fall under his spell, yet during the day she is standoffish and cool with the real man behind the mask, Dae-chul. Only much later does she get an inkling who this man might be, but will her suspicions ever be confirmed? 

MP1-00517.jpg

Dae-chul's father Jung Do Sung (Park Yeong-gyu) is wrongly blamed for a crime, killed, and the killer, crime boss Jo Sang-taek (Jun Kwang-ryul from I Miss You), puts a mask over the corpse's face, so the police are deflected for a time in trying to identify the Mask because they think he is dead. Dae-chul sadly has to identify the body of his father at the morgue and privately vows revenge against his dad's murderer. However, before he died father had told his son that he must seek revenge against the woman who abandoned him as a baby, named Im Ji-sook (Jung Ae-ri from Angel Eyes), the woman who had deserted him for another man who had more money and prestige, a shady business man named Kang Joong-ho (Lee Ki-young). "This couple have ruined our lives", he had told his son, and pointed them out to him from a distance, which turns out to be the last time father and son were together. Dae-chul files the information away, at first undecided what he will do about any revenge against them.

mask020.jpg

Sizing each other up, long estranged son and mother

Dae-chul is torn between wanting a nurturing mother in his life and his anger at her for abandoning him as a baby and hurting his father. How to approach her and get to know her? What if it turns out she never cared for him at all, or felt any guilt toward him whatsoever, and that she only has maternal affection for her own legitimate son, the successful top prosecutor Kang Hyun-woong (Um Ki Joon), who just happens to be friends with the woman he's always had a crush on, Min-hee?

The encounters he seeks with her are forced and unpleasant, cementing his resolve for revenge instead of reconciliation. She, in turn, overhears a conversation between him and his best friend,
Jang Ho-sik (Lee Moon-sik), a former criminal he had confronted as the Mask and reformed, and she figures out that Dae-chul is the son she abandoned decades earlier -- this makes her all the more focused on protecting her legitimate son Hyun-woong over her illegitimate one. How ironic that both men worked as prosecutors in the same office for years, and didn't know that they were in fact brothers, and that both men are enamored with the same woman, Min-hee.

MP1-001.jpg

Actor Um Ki Joon plays multi-layered character Hyun-woong,
the offspring of two unsavory people - will the apple fall far
from the tree by the end of the story, or will it fall very close?

The murderer of Dae-chul's father, Jo Sang-taek, ends up being the biological father of detective Min-hee, whose mother had gone insane after being raped and giving birth to a baby. Min-hee had been the off-spring of that criminal act long ago, a crime which had gone unpunished. When this information is discovered Min-hee is devastated. The only one she can turn to for comfort is the sweet uncle she lives with, Ji Dong Chan (character actor Lee Won-jong), who owns a boxing training center and has essentially acted as her father for years (I recognized the gym as the same one used in Hyun Bin's The Snow Queen. That's when you know you are a die-hard K-drama fan, when you start recognizing locations from one drama to the next!).

The evil Sang-taek seems to want to target Min-hee for destruction one moment, and then at the next moment he inexplicably pulls back from harming her. He also has another daughter, a classical pianist he has nurtured for years, so he obviously is capable of some type of caring as a father. A Guilty Conscience somewhere in that personality? All through the drama he kept puzzling me while at the same time annoying me to no end. It didn't help matters that he played such a nice guy in
I Miss You, and here he was playing a despicable villain whom I didn't know whether to outright hate or hope that he might reform and apologize and pay for his crimes. He seems to control with his fortune many of the prosecutors in the district attorney's office, and even seeks to control Hyun-woong and influence him to possibly commit a crime against his boss. Will he start to suppress the evil inside himself, or fulfill it to its full potential? You have to wait till you reach the 16th final episode to find out!

MP1-00430.jpg

Every great K-drama needs a great villain
and actor Jun Kwang-ryul will keep you
guessing about the ultimate fate of this one!

If you watch Korean dramas mainly to see romance you will see some of it here, but since the two main characters have much to accomplish in the justice system -- and out of it -- that doesn't leave them too much time for flirting, kiss scenes, and date scenes, although you do see them drawing closer and depending on one another more and more as the story unfolds and they start solving crimes together. There is a small competition for Dae-chul's affections in the form of a lovely and smart female lead prosecutor Seo Rina (played by actress Hwang Sun-hee, who played the evil twin sister in Master's Sun) but she soon seems to figure out whom Dae-chul is really in love with, and it's definitely not her. She backs off with humor and grace. Wish more second female leads did so in the dramas!

maskedprosecutorshow.jpg

Bottom line, if you love crime solving dramas with flair then definitely put Masked Prosecutor on your queue. It boasts an intriguing plot, interesting relationships between all the characters, some humor to cut the tension, and a satisfying ending. There are some bigger questions to ponder instead of just who ends up with whom, like how is justice best served, and how important is it to trust your co-workers implicitly to get a job done effectively. Is even a little violence justified if it helps resolve crimes and stop criminals?

Kim Sun Ah and Joo Sang Wook are superlative in their roles. If I would have changed anything in this drama I would have given Kim Sun Ah a softer appearance in makeup, hair, and clothes. They start to do that a little bit toward the end of the drama but I don't see what's wrong in having a leading lady look feminine while working in a job usually taken by men. Her austere looks always wearing trousers and black pant suits could have given way to something softer and more curvy. I know she has a fantastic figure, which she showed off with lots of striking beauty in
Scent Of A Woman, and I missed seeing it emphasized in this role where she played a cop.

You can enjoy Masked Prosecutor for free on VIKI.COM at THIS LINK.

I miss them so much!! .

HOME TO KOREAN DRAMA REVIEWS

MASKED PROSECUTOR PHOTO GALLERY

drs1.jpg

04_zpsdpqxshrl.jpg

wesun4.jpg

019.jpg

First Script Reading

4705_9.jpg

Koreans love their rooftop scenes!

maskedprosecutorpublicity.JPG

MaskedPest.jpg

MP1-00010.jpg

MP1-00455.jpg

mask02-00055.jpg

Last moments with Dad

mask02-00140.jpg

mp0100153.jpg

MASKED%20PROSECUTOR%20%283%29.jpg

confrontationn.jpg

I have been a silent reader here. I really want to say that I enjoyed the posts here very much. Thanks to all for your pictures, preview, subs, comments, etc. It's almost two weeks after the show ended and I still miss Masked Prosecutor very much! I am sure DC and MN are living happily after ....

Have made some video clips for the lovely show, hope you enjoy it...

MV 1 ~ 心动 (Xin Dong)

MV 2 ~ Perfect Two

And here is to all OTP shippers (Iknow I am one!) ... wish JSW and KSA will make another show together!

BTS and Presscon pictures/videos

Archived