[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

27 minutes ago, kentangbakar said:

I dont know if anyone have asked this before, why 11665 Seonwoo??

I think it is his student ID number too. The only mystery of SW now is his family name.

LOL, I dont know but they (the production team) hide it in purpose. His name tag is always hidden by the uniform vest pocket. There must be another story about his family name too :))

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chelleshawol said:

Thank you for sorted it out. Now I know how 1988 will be linked to 1994.

If you guys notice, lately we can see how much TK consume pills for helping him to refuse the headache pains. And DS helps him to decrease it.

But in last scene of episode 16.. You know TK desperated and took many meds.

so i guess no TK will be the husband, since he will be the plot twist in future ep :( but still i hope my prediction is wrong.

@carolinedl.  I really dislike the term 'Chilbonged'  too and it was the main reason I wandered away from main thread.

Spoiler

It's true I felt sorry for writer because it's obvious to me she hasn't crafted Taek as some kind of distraction ploy, plot device or second lead. As Taek/ Deok Sun shipper somewhat we're labeled as being delusional, biased, and illogical side of the husband game and we'll suffer from second lead syndrome anyways. So what? It's up to us whether we take notice of any other characters arc and the interactions more than others if there is really ingredients to be mixed we can expect it to be cooked and became something that satisfies our taste. I preferred to take disappointment risk because Baduk Master Choi Taek also deserves to be taeken notice as Deok Sun's (possibly) soulmate. I figured it's not possible for other shippers  and neutrals anyways so... As long as Deok Sun's heart remains to be missing part of the puzzle I regret nothing^^ One thing I'm sure of Deok Sun seem alerted/uncomfortable whenever she confronts  diffident sides of Taek. It can be that she feels something more at the moment but she brushes it off for some reason or she will really really dislike the idea Taek's romantically loved her all along whereas she thought of him as little brother.

But I know what you mean so when the time comes for Taek  the term we can use is, ' Heedongied ' by Deok Sun just to differentiate frienzoned(Chilbonged) from brotherzoned and we can still cherish their bond as special as Reply script intended ^^ 

On 29 December 2015 at 0:52 AM, packmule3 said:

3. JH’s traits fit the mold set by Yoon-Jae and Trash so well that we should all be able to recognize the HERO TROPE of the Reply franchise. What’s the trope? One: The male hero ISN’T merely the boy-next-door; the boy actually lives in the same house as the girl at some point. Two: He’s top of the class as opposed to being a PRODIGY. (Yoon-Jae’s hyung was a computer prodigy, Chilbong was a baseball prodigy, and TK is a baduk prodigy.)  Three: He’s quiet and brooding. Four: He worships the girl anonymously and from afar. 

For me, however, the one Hero trope thing noticeably missing with JH is his affinity for DS’ father. In the other series, the male leads (hmm…as well as the secondary male leads, for that matter) have a special rapport with their future fathers-in-law already established early in the show. They’ve forged a male bonding, like the father recognizes an equal in the young man, and he can safely “give away” his daughter to him (sexist, I know). But we’re only in episode 16, and a relationship between DS’ father and JH can still develop in the next episodes. 

@packmule3 I just wanted to point out that while they did not show JH's affinity to DS' father, I thought it was sweet that they showed DS' affinity to JH's father.  Also as usual, Taek is one highly favoured to be the son in law by DS' father just like in the past where the father favoured Chilbong.  

But still in all this, I am not watching and guessing the outcome of Reply 1988 based on the past series.  I try not to anyway.  I would like to think that seeing it as a fresh show help me appreciate the unique characterisation of every show.

If I try to see it from perspective of any fiction/art/film,all around the world people in creative sector are trying to break the mold,and bringing something new each time.It's  like being able to not repeat the old style is also being able to beat your own limitation.So I wish the writer does not take cues from her past works...and try to excel in a new way,but staying true to her root of course.We are here for reply'88,not for an amalgamation of the previous two seasons right.

What if.....

Later we know that Taek has disease in his head and can't be cured, then junghwan has heart disease or run into an accident and to save junghwan they must replaced his heart and find a donors.. 

And then taek give his heart to junghwan because his disease can't be cured and junghwan survive from his disease with taek's heart in his body now and married with deok sun.....

If that happen the ending will be so dramatic i think hehe

For @.crestfallen. and @moonkeeper who followed me god-knows-where, lol, and my dear @Lhej,

Q: Does Taek get jealous? 
A: Is water wet? :D  Of course.

It’s easy to spot JH’s jealousy because he’s the lead male character in this story. We know about his feelings for DS, so we expect his jealousy of SW and TK. Each time, SW and TK interacted with DS in a meaningful way, the camera FOCUSED on his facial gesture (i.e., downturn eyes, grimace, averted face, etc.), and we get a visual of his jealousy.  We can READ his mind. We have to give kudos to the actor Ryu Jun-Yeol; he emoted well for the task he had to do. 

TK, on the other hand, has an EXPRESSIONLESS FACE. We’re told this in Episode 2. 
reply%201988%20expressionless_zpsm9hg0ul

Plus, he’s supposedly a genius, making him difficult to read, for people with average minds. That is, unless we see things from HIS EYES... 

I’ll give you FIVE instances when he showed signs of jealousy. Prior to his discovery that JH's feelings for DS, he already exhibited jealousy. 

1. Jealous of DR. I’ll start with this one because it’s easy to understand, and you'll get the pattern of behavior quickly.

Given DR’s easy and chummy behavior with DS, it’s easy to misinterpret their closeness. I like the sense of the absurd that DS-DR shippers have. But JH was guilty of misinterpretation himself in Episode 5. The camera FOCUSED on HIM to show his reaction when he chanced upon DS and DR alone together in TS’ room. Unlike the mute TK, JH expressed himself verbally so we know what he was feeling. 
reply%201988%20ep%205%20jealousy.1_zpses

What most viewers do NOT realize is that previously in Episode 4, TK was also jealous of DR’s closeness with DS, too. Remember when he handed JH the finished Rubik’s cube? lol. Didn’t anybody wonder about the ABRUPT timing of that? TK had that Rubik’s cube beside him all that time. Why didn’t he hand it back earlier? Why at that particular time? 
reply%201988%20ep%205%20jealousy.2_zps0y

JH, and most viewers, naturally assumed that TK was annoyed with DR for insulting his lack of English knowledge. It makes sense, of course, but it's a misdirection. Try LOOKING at the situation from Taek’s perspective and SEEING the whole scene -- as it unfolded -- from the eyes of a genius in love with a girl.  Pay attention to the CAMERA ANGLES. 

Instead of the camera focusing on TK’s face -- like the director does with ALL of JH’s jealous scenes -- the camera here was positioned as if WE, the viewers, were Taek’s eyes LOOKING at the scene.  See the screenshots 1, 3, 4, and 5. The camera PURPOSELY shifted from a general view [screenshot 2] to a “Taek’s perspective” to show us the reason for his JEALOUSY. 
reply%201988%20ep%205%20jealousy.3_zpsez

Do you get it? TK wasn't irritated that they were talking about "idioms" and teasing him about NOT knowing idioms. He's a genius, for pete's sake. Who cared about idioms? lol 

However, Taek was getting irritated at how friendly DR and DS looked together.  They looked *too* chummy with each other. With their "Dukseon and I" comment and jokes. They look conspiratorial. Partners....

Thus, when DR said, “You don’t know things like that, do you?” THEN grinned back at DS -- like they were some kind of close buddies – he put an end to all that by handing the finished Rubik’s cube to JH.

Do you get it? :D He didn't protest or accuse or insinuate anything like JH did. He only said "here" and put DR in his place. 

Whatever suspicion JH felt in the atmosphere between DR and DS Episode 5, TK also felt in Episode 4. The boys both sensed that DR and DS were *too* close.  The major difference, however, is how the director handled the two scenes. The director didn’t show us TK’s jealous face because the script didn't have words from him. Instead, the director showed us how TK’s GENIUS MIND work.

2. JH. I hinted at this in my first post here. TK noticed when JH flopped in front of DS [seen from Taek’s perspective]. Then the camera showed us his face, and how his eyes shifted from DS to JH [3rd person perspective]. He was observing the two of them together but he noticed nothing odd or out-of-place about the two.

reply%201988%20episode%203%20ramen_zpsiy

lol. You know me, @Lhej well. I give hints because I assume that people are bright enough to get the point on their own eventually. My advice for this kdrama is to pay attention to the camera shots. They’re deliberate in this kdrama.

3. SW’s confess-on-the-first-snowfall! scene.  I told you, ladies, that ONLY TK’s close-up was missing, didn’t I? ;)

Feel free to rewatch the scene. BUT this time, get inside TK’s head and see what he was seeing as this whole scene unfolded.

4. This school field trip. lol.  I heard that some people thought I was delusional and over-thinking it. Nope! I analyze the script; I ship the scriptwriter.

reply%201988%20episode%203%20field%20tri

5. And lastly, the hotel concierge [Ep 10]. lol. I reserved this for last because I thought it was a riot. Nobody saw that coming, right? Let's break down that scene.

At first, TK's face is blurry/out-of-focused as he walks back to the lobby. His words, “DS. Let’s go upstairs.” can be viewed as neutral, but it can also be viewed as somebody announcing to people within earshot that he has claim over THIS girl. They’re going back upstairs TOGETHER. Contrast this scene with their arrival. Remember? Back then, he only said, “I’ll head up first; I’ll go ahead.”
reply%201988%20jealousy%20hotel.1_zps90t

Now, look at the camera angles again. It's from his perspective. What does he see? He sees a pretty girl leaning against the counter talking to the guy who helped him enjoy his stay at the hotel. Now, the camera shifts. Follow his eyes. He looks at the guy, he figures out that the guy isn’t a “threat”, then he smiles at DS and agrees to pose with the guy. 
reply%201988%20jealousy%20hotel.3_zpsxg7

But then, his baduk manager casually remarks upon the easy-going relationship between the guy and DS. [Similar situation as DongRyong. lol]

reply%201988%20jealousy%20hotel.4_zpsjwo

Look at the shift in camera perspective.  We’re seeing this scene from TK’s eyes again now. He hears what his manager had just said and he hears DS confirming that they've indeed become become friendly through their arguments. Now he also observes that, NOT ONLY is DS looking very cute as she stands there, but she ALSO looks like she’s flirting with the guy. hahaha.  There’s something flirtatious about the way DS is leaning against the counter and the two of them are grinning. He's excluded again.  
reply%201988%20jealousy%20hotel.5_zpsc49

That’s why he looks like this here: unsmiling. Kinda sulky. And secretly jealous.

reply%201988%20jealousy%20hotel.2_zpsahi

Got that? lol. Do you see it now, @Lhej?

Long before he became jealous of JH, TK has always been jealous of DS’s interaction with boys. He’s been observing her all along. Quietly. Unobtrusively. That’s his character. The scriptwriter constructed a very detailed TK and the director went through all that hassles of camera shot selection -- and props, lol -- to give us clues. 

We do the script and the production team a great disservice by observing TK merely through a shipper’s pair of distorting spectacles. He’s not what people think he is.  

Oh yeahhhh, re. the chopsticks.  Have people figured out why?  lol.  TK also lied about being cold, too, in Episode 13. How do we know he was lying? Two incongruous things: 

reply%201988%20cold%20ice%20cream_zpsxii

1. DS always feels the cold more than TK does. [Remember that scene when they walked back to her house for dinner? TK wasn’t wearing a jacket, and she told him off. In the next episode 14, she was complaining of the bitter cold when she opened the door, yet TK wasn’t wearing socks. He was sockless, too at his home while his father and DR were all bundled up.] And here, she answers TK that she isn't feeling cold. 

2. DS is eating ICE CREAM. [Sneaky choice of prop there, director! #nicetry #fail #wesawthat] 

I think if you connect the two lies, abusing the chopsticks and feeling cold in Episode 13, you’ll figure out why he does these things. And noooo… I don’t believe he’s being manipulative or clingy.

@shooastrid Sorry. no baduk post from me again. This isn't going to be a running joke for me, is it? 

Wish y’all a Happy New Year.

4 hours ago, dairymilks said:

Hi! Thank you!

Omg, are you also on Reddit? Haha cause someone also posted on that site and I pm-ed her for the link. Is it you?  

HEHEEHE yeah that's meeeee <3

i'll update you and reddit and soompi if ever someone uploads the rest of the bgm <3 i'm waiting for it too.. there's good bgm music in the past recent eps huhuhu

@packmule3 my eyes.. literally went from ~_~.. ^_^.. T_T.. O_O O!!!!__!!!O
haha! thank you for all your inputs, i enjoyed reading and rewatching the scenes you reviewed!

sudden chills seriously, i cannot believe how people miss this-- and much more how you caught it!

i love the physical ( not literally, but silent-type) muteness of Taek, not only because he's a baduk player but because it shows us that it's his mind that is working and what his character would likely use, as compared to a carefree DR, who doesn't have time to think deep most of the time haha!

It's amazing how the director keeps his personality consistent especially in group scenes by letting the audience witness everything from his gaze instead of being the /one/ that the audience is watching. the director knows what he's doing, but there's a tendency that people won't even notice these pieces of information as there are a lot of things going on like the plot, conflicts, characters and their issues, developments, etc, etc.

thank you really.. more.. please.. <3

Cuts of the more "peaceful" DS-BR scenes haha

Hoping for some meaningful scenes between the Sung sisters in the next episode! As I said in the SunBora thread, my wishful thinking would be would be to see DS awkwardly and reluctantly ask BR a question about boys and relationships, and then find BR so flustered because she thinks DS found out about her secret relationship with SW :)) Leading to an actual, honest, and true to life sister chat :)) Or maybe, if DS really does visit BR's gosiwon, they can have a serious conversation about DS' future? Like BR can help her think about her options for college.

Also, I was going through some old RHY interviews, and I found some DS-BR related things that made me go "aww" :)) 

What is the thing you pay most attention to while filming?
“The thing I pay most attention to is when I hit Hyeri. In the script, I hit her a lot… I have to hit her realistically, so when I come back guiltily the next day. I feel sorry, since when I do it, I have to do it properly. Hyeri says ‘Unnie, do it fully’ too, so I do.

Say something to the viewers and fans.
“I’m happy because it seems like I really get to show everyone my crazy acting. It’s a character that can really pull your attention, so I hope people keep being interested. Ah, and I want to say something to the fans of Girl’s Day. There are a lot of scenes where I hit Hyeri, so I’m worried. I’m always feeling sorry about it. You’ll know when you see the show, but the scenes where I hit her look really real. But that’s not because I’m hitting her well, it’s because Hyeri is being hit well. I hope you don’t hate me for hitting Hyeri, and instead, compliment Hyeri for being hit so well!”

Link to the full interview: http://goonggeumhani.tumblr.com/post/135952272882/241115-ryu-joonyeol-ryu-hyeyoungs-old-star1
Btw, @kentangbakar also posted RHY's Harper Bazaar interview: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=ryuhyeyoung&no=11572&page=1&serVal=%EA%B2%BD%ED%91%9C&s_type=all&ser_pos= I'm really curious as to what RHY said about how she takes care of her skin :)))

47 minutes ago, theobrominebeagle said:

Cuts of the more "peaceful" DS-BR scenes haha

Hoping for some meaningful scenes between the Sung sisters in the next episode! As I said in the SunBora thread, my wishful thinking would be would be to see DS awkwardly and reluctantly ask BR a question about boys and relationships, and then find BR so flustered because she thinks DS found out about her secret relationship with SW :)) Leading to an actual, honest, and true to life sister chat :)) Or maybe, if DS really does visit BR's gosiwon, they can have a serious conversation about DS' future? Like BR can help her think about her options for college.

Also, I was going through some old RHY interviews, and I found some DS-BR related things that made me go "aww" :)) 

What is the thing you pay most attention to while filming?
“The thing I pay most attention to is when I hit Hyeri. In the script, I hit her a lot… I have to hit her realistically, so when I come back guiltily the next day. I feel sorry, since when I do it, I have to do it properly. Hyeri says ‘Unnie, do it fully’ too, so I do.

Say something to the viewers and fans.
“I’m happy because it seems like I really get to show everyone my crazy acting. It’s a character that can really pull your attention, so I hope people keep being interested. Ah, and I want to say something to the fans of Girl’s Day. There are a lot of scenes where I hit Hyeri, so I’m worried. I’m always feeling sorry about it. You’ll know when you see the show, but the scenes where I hit her look really real. But that’s not because I’m hitting her well, it’s because Hyeri is being hit well. I hope you don’t hate me for hitting Hyeri, and instead, compliment Hyeri for being hit so well!”

Link to the full interview: http://goonggeumhani.tumblr.com/post/135952272882/241115-ryu-joonyeol-ryu-hyeyoungs-old-star1
Btw, @kentangbakar also posted RHY's Harper Bazaar interview: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=ryuhyeyoung&no=11572&page=1&serVal=%EA%B2%BD%ED%91%9C&s_type=all&ser_pos= I'm really curious as to what RHY said about how she takes care of her skin :)))

That look on BR's face when they are on the bus, and DS's not looking, is full of love and worry. I noticed it more than once. Those two need to talk to each other soon (as in episode 17 soon).

And of course this:

Will Sung Bora have a loveline too?
“There hasn’t been one in the script yet. But I’m anticipating one. Hehe. The actor who plays Jungbong, Ahn Jaehong, is a sunbae of mine and we’re close. Ahn Jaehong oppa asked the director to make Bora and Jungbong end up together, and if they don’t, he said he’s going to write a Bora-Jungbong romance novel himself. But I don’t know. Hahaha.”

5 hours ago, purple31 said:

What if.....

Later we know that Taek has disease in his head and can't be cured, then junghwan has heart disease or run into an accident and to save junghwan they must replaced his heart and find a donors.. 

And then taek give his heart to junghwan because his disease can't be cured and junghwan survive from his disease with taek's heart in his body now and married with deok sun.....

If that happen the ending will be so dramatic i think hehe

. . . even though I've managed to not become invested in the husband hunt this time (amazingly), that result will have me crawled into a corner, hugging my knees and rocking back and forth for days. .. 

:tears:

For those of you that have seen it. . . .

Spoiler

it's getting WAY to close to the Thai movie My Bromance (Phi Chai) for me, and that movie left me devastated for weeks!

5 hours ago, nearsea said:

If I try to see it from perspective of any fiction/art/film,all around the world people in creative sector are trying to break the mold,and bringing something new each time.It's  like being able to not repeat the old style is also being able to beat your own limitation.So I wish the writer does not take cues from her past works...and try to excel in a new way,but staying true to her root of course.We are here for reply'88,not for an amalgamation of the previous two seasons right.

I don't know how old the writer is, but all seasons have so many little details and the characters/the stories are so human that give the impression that she is incorporating her memories. I think she evolved and perfected many things but the core is the same. I don't think she's copying her previous work, more all works are born in the same place. Of course, that's just my impression.

Has anyone ever posted an interview of the writer/the PD btw?

And.. the new OST is out: OST part 9 As time pass by

Lyrics in english (credit to YSu Zoo @ youtube)

Spoiler

세월이 가면 (as time goes by)

even you show your smile to me, 
you can't hide the void countenance.

with blurred eyes, 
i'm just watching your image 
that's turning around dejectedly.

i know that it's the last moment of our love.

even we both want to remain in it.
but in front of the flowing time, 
there's nothing that last forever

as time goes by,
we might forget the heartrending longing 
that will follow  us.

but please remember this. 
there's someone whom 
once we cherished endlessly deep in our heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------

as time goes by,
that will follow  us.

there's someone whom 

as time goes by,
that will follow  us.

there's someone whom 

Hi guys, happy new year!!! First time posting here. @Packmule3 you seriously got me thinking with your post, it was great! Now i'm going to pay extra close attention to the camera work when Taek is around! 

Also, while I was watching a fanmade ost video which showed the story where DS tells SW to confess on the first day of snow, I suddenly thought what if Taek, after hearing her, wanted to confess on the first day of snow too, but because he didn't believe she would take it seriously he called her to go watch a movie instead. Maybe thinking he could confess the day they go to the movies, but unfortunately he was so tired he ended up falling asleep and there went that plan :tears:. Hence "timing" being such a predominant symbol in Taeks' house. It could be that he has wanted to confess ever since she told SW to confess, but the timing was always against him. And now, when he finally decides to, he finds about JH's feelings. Again, timing. Had Taek confessed early on, everything could have been a different story because DS had just been rejected by SW. Instead JH did not waste time showing his affection for DS and made her see him romantically. Which I think Taek has yet to do... and it's episode 16 already. This reminds me of reply 1994 where it was deep into the story and NaJung still showed no sign of seeing Chilbong romantically. Knowing how pitiful the pd made Chilbong (I was team Chilbong..) if Taek is really not the husband, he could make this a part of his story...seeing how he likes to shows us those clocks so much. This is all a theory of course, just thought I'd share. Not sure if anyone has thought about this already, and I'm just late to the party lol. I ship DS and JH but Taek just hurts my heart :tears:

Another DC post from me~~~ lol. Prepare for randomness. (Posting DC is my hobby...don't judge lol)

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=436150&page=1&exception_mode=recommend

You can finally see JH wearing the pink shirt now!

...If you put it on him

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=445709&page=1&exception_mode=recommend

GTA TK version with background music (Dunno if it's funny for those who don't know it but...anyways I'll try)

(The joke here is that you can't choose the character you want even though there is the opition to/ have to do ridicilous things in order to choose a popular character.)

Reference: SNL Korea's GTA skits. (My favourite skits lol)

Expample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeKsFuTnAr4

- Choose your TK.

Child TK

Alarm. When you choose this TK

- Police arrives - (=Game over)

Milk TK

Perform the "Get married after drinking lots of milk" trick. (reference to earlier episode)

You were rejected!

Idiot TK

Try to help him.

#system error. I don't understand you.

Master TK

Please pay 40,000$ (in cash)

Kim Joo-TK

I'll buy you everything-TK

Nicotaek

Nicojootaek (nicotinepath=Joo-Hyeok's nickname on 1night2days)

Warning

Every TK rejected you.

The game closes itself now.

Police: Even today, Ssangmundong is peacefull.

_________________________________________________________________________________

SNL hilarious bonus:

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=435093&page=2&recommend=1

TK aka Gu Joon-Pyo

The Baduk-Jaebol

Friends: I envy you DS...you date TK.... He's not just handsome, smart but also rich af.

DS: Rich...?

TK: I'll buy you everything you want.

I'll count to three. Tell me what you want. One...

DS: I'm OK with gloves....

TK: While buying gloves, I also bought you an island. You like?

DS: Idiot.

The last one's only for people who can speak korean

Archived