[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

@JCM.   Actually I don't know much about  other Reply installments but I think they hadn't revealed who the husband was till last four episodes still it was somewhat obvious once time skip happened I suppose? Maybe back then they hadn't mastered this husband game yet. This time we have two strong contender and one unsettled girl perfect formula for trolling lol. Still it's too risky to troll viewers after  they  skillfully crafted slice of life generic story as such audience more invested in characters. They have to spare fairly satisfying  closure for each of them.  So I don't believe script is not ready. BUT I was thinking what if they have TWO script for last four episodes? It can go either way if they revise it like you explained and it can be fair enough to other candidates and their arc's supporters. If that's the case I can recall this installment as writer's masterpiece ^^ If not it's okay one can't expect perfection from a kdrama it's still best of all in my eyes  ^^ (PS: I ship Taek with his happiness anyways just don't make him quit baduk writer-nim)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to make a list on what the characters know about the love life of the other characters as of ep16. I will be excluding the adults and Jinjoo. 

BR: JB<-♥->?
DS: SW-♥->BR, JB<-♥->MO
NE: Suspect SW<-♥->BR, Suspect JH-♥>DS ???

JB: -
JH: T-♥>DS, SW<-♥->BR,  JB<-♥->MO, DS-♥->SW

SW: T-♥>DS
T: JH-♥>DS, SW<-♥->BR
DR: DS-♥>SW/JH/T, T-♥>DS, JB<-♥->? 

14 minutes ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

I tried to make a list on what the characters know about the love life of the other characters as of ep16. I will be excluding the adults and Jinjoo. 

NE: Suspect JB<-♥->BR, Suspect JH-♥>DS ???

T: JH-♥>DS, SW-♥->BR

Do you think DR knows JH likes DS?  I don't think so.  Taek definitely knows that BR likes SW too.  Otherwise they won't be hugging?

23 minutes ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

NE: Suspect JB<-♥->BR, Suspect JH-♥>DS ???

T: JH-♥>DS, SW-♥->BR

NE suspect JBxBR?, not SWxBR? since he suspect them from night SWxBR meet at their alley, when he and JB buy snack, he saw SW pour BR water at JH home while eating.

18 minutes ago, sheza said:

Do you think DR knows JH likes DS?  I don't think so.  Taek definitely knows that BR likes SW too.  Otherwise they won't be hugging?

I am sure that DR do not know that JH likes DS. 

Yes, I missed the '<'  in BRxSW. Thanks for pointing out the error!

8 minutes ago, kentangbakar said:

NE suspect JBxBR?, not SWxBR? since he suspect them from night SWxBR meet at their alley, when he and JB buy snack, he saw SW pour BR water at JH home while eating.

Another typo from me. @_@ Im sorry.

Hi guys! Does anyone know what kind of doctor Trash is? He is not specialized on neurology or brain or anything related with head right? Or do you know Michael specialized on what? Or SW??

I am just afraid that the hospital scene is related with Taek condition... I hope the writer nim should stop him to use any medication and hurting himself to not eat any meal oftenly. Please SW omma marry TK appa palliii and cook abalone porridge often. His IQ should be treated exclusively.

Spoiler
On 12/30/2015 at 9:37 PM, packmule3 said:

Indubitably. DS is JH’s first love too.  

However, that’s NOT the bone of contention here, my dear. :) I apologize; I sometimes forget that English isn’t the primary language of people here so my posts may be confusing. I’ll highlight the key words that you missed in my post.

Furthermore, in this show, the person who loved DS first – meaning, earliest and longest -- was the person who didn’t speak much in the first couple of episodes. lol. Didn’t anybody else *see* that?

If you carefully re-read my post, I had written that people root for JH-DS as the OTP because they believe that the male character who loved the girl first or longest should get the girl in the end. I said that’s the WRONG argument to make – especially, if you’re a die-hard JH-DS shipper -- because it’s, in fact, TK who loved DS long before JH fell for her. 

If you want a crude timeline – 

1. JH realized that he loved DS in Episode 3, when he had the sexual arousal from being in a tight space with her. Prior to that, in most interactions with DS, he had viewed her as a pest [i.e., telling her to “p.i.s.s off,” – Note: the Future Husband objected to DS addressing HIM as “yah!” -- deriding the idea that she was cute, threatening her with death lol if she lost their liquor].

Sigh. It’s hard to argue with the script. 

[BTW, I hope people appreciate the novel way the director alluded to an erection without panning the camera to JH’s crotch.  When JH stuck out his tongue inside his mouth to make a big bump on the outside of his cheek, that’s the imagery of sexual arousal without showing anything lewd. Literally, it was tongue-in-cheek acting. Very clever of the director.] 

2. On the other hand, TK had been in love with DS for an unspecified amount of time, but the director/scriptwriter gave us subtle hints as early as Episode 2 that he liked her. However, viewers, both the clueless and the willfully blind, ignored the hints until Episode 6, when TK’s movie invitation snowballed them right in the face. Could he have liked her these past 2 years like SW? Or did he begin to have a crush her when they were 9 years old and she gave him that scar on his head or that time when she gave him a piggyback because he had a broken arm or even that day when they first met and she gave him a fish candy. Who knows? 

Also, if you were also paying close attention to Episode 6, you’d notice that in the Pizza/Go Confess! scene, everybody’s facial reactions to SW’s “sob story” were put on display EXCEPT  for – drumroll please – TK’s face. 

reply%201988%20episode%206%20sw%20confes

This is a common trick in movies to keep an important person “in the shadows” until the right moment to come out. The scriptwriter and the director were definitely NOT making this whole thing up as they went along filming the show. They had intended TK to be THE rival of JH, and SW was only a decoy all along. 

The script also previously hinted at TK’s importance in Episode 2, when the parents were wondering where TK’s father was, and how come TK wasn’t with DS. There was a DOUBLE MEANING or insider’s joke here when the mom of DS said: The star of the show always shows up last. TK, as we all know, arrived last. Were the scriptwriter and director trolling the viewers? lol.

Now, I’m sounding monotonous but I’ve no choice but to remind obstinate minions that I ship the script and the scriptwriter. It annoys me to see that the scriptwriter has put in so much work on details on the characters, especially TK so he can be a worthy contender and rival of JH in this husband-hunt, yet character analyses of TK are brushed off as delusions or viewed with suspicion here in this main thread. Our understanding of the script is greatly impoverished if we restrict the discussion here only to the presumptive OTP.

You see, JH and TK are two sides of the same coin. Only ONE writer created and imagined both of them. Therefore, if we study the characters of BOTH men, we’ll get a better idea of the intent, motives, value-system and philosophy of the scriptwriter, for future reference. Ultimately, understanding the CREATOR in her creative process is more important to me because, no matter how varied her characters may be, the life lessons she wants to impart will remain the same. Her message = her characters. For example, 

Do people realize that TK LIES about his chopstick skills? lol. Why?

top line. Episode 3. DS was helping SW with her chopsticks, then DR berated TK. TK crossed his chopsticks. 
middle line. Episode 10.  At the restaurant by the beach.  
bottom line. Episode 14. At JH’s birthday party. Note: It’s easier to grip these wooden “Chinese” chopsticks than those silver, slippery Korean chopstick.

reply%201988%20chopsticks_zps216hjx1q.jp

Also, do people know that THREE of the four prophesies came true before the Lunar Year was over [Episode 11: Three Different Prophesies]?  The obvious one was SW’s mother getting another son, in the person of TK. The other correct prophesy was JH’s Hyung gaining a “great fortune” because he's dating a rich girlfriend. DS’ fortune has NOT materialized yet on that day.  But the third prophesy that was fulfilled was JH’s. Remember what the fortuneteller said? “He’ll do fine on his own.” 

reply%201988%20ep%2011%20prophesy_zpszyw

Lastly, have people figured out JH’s Hyung character? He didn’t study for the exams because he regarded them like a lottery. It was up to fate to give him good luck. So far in life, he defied the odds. He won the lottery. He had a rare childhood heart problem and survived. His letter was read on the radio out of a ton of entries. He won a free bag of chips. He even fell in love at first sight with a girl who denied the possibility of love at first sight.  That was why his romantic moments are parodies of famous kdrama romantic scenes, because he and Mi-Ok have a once-in-million fairy tale kind of love. lol.

answer15-01270.jpg

credit: dramabeans

See? If we’re only focused on the “shipping couples” aspect of the show (i.e., when is JH-DS going to kiss, when is he going to confess? the future husband is tsundere) and other trivialities (i.e., is packmule3 a shipper, troll or goat), we missed the elements in the script which enhance the viewing pleasure and appreciation of the show. What a pity. 

@shooastrid

my apologies again. All thoughts of baduk left me. But I’ll leave YOU with a joke instead. What’s the difference between three blind mice walking into a bar and three blind shippers posting on a thread? 

Hide contents

Check my profile page for the answer. I notice you and the others have been doing that anyway. Like, why?:) 

@packmule3 thanks for the detailed post. I can't believe I missed the chopstick part, is it because I was lost in translation (I don't really use chopstick that much) or as you mentioned in your post, the shipping has me lost my sensitivity? 

I must admit my guilt. Bound by the shipper's mindset, I probably disregarded a lot of significance in some scenes, just because it didn't go with my agenda preference. This is probably the biggest disservice that we could do after a writer put a lot of effort in creating a thoughtful scenario. Well, we can argue that once the narrative is consumed, the writer is dead, since it's all up to audience's interpretation. :phew: However, I do agree that there are a lot more goodness coming out if you watch the show with open and neutral eyes.

I think that's just some misunderstanding few pages back. :) I believe that you did not mean anything condescending in your last post, even though it may translate so to some people. I am not native Eng speaker myself, and right at the part where you re-explained your post, I had similar confusion, that I reread your original post several times to fully grasp the meaning. Also, some people may be wondering if the joke in the end is funny at all. To me it is, since the ability to laugh at oneself is something that I'm quite good at. :P

Awww please reconsider to gather your thoughts again on baduk? I feel like I'm alone with too many references of baduk here, and you are very good in reading subtext. While we are at it, you should write more commentaries for past episodes too. PS. That's actually the real reason why we lurked on your profile: to see more of your writings. PSS. I hope your legs are better. :) 

Spoiler

@shooastrid Wow, that was really interesting!! I loved your explanation of why Taek came in late into the husband game (though I don't know if he was really that much stronger than JH to begin with - would DS make a difference between her four best friends?). I won't go as far as saying that it shows that Taek is the husband, but it definitely shows how they are on equal ground now with the different movements. I guess the one left is DS: she is the one who needs to play now.

Don't get me wrong: I love Taekie and most of us JH and DS shippers really do. We love how layered he is, how passionate and interesting. He is double: awkward and manly, etc. What I am most annoyed at is the kind of relation he is developping with DS though: he is taken care of. I guess we all have different sensibilities but I find that whole mothering thing really not attractive. I can totally understand why he does it (and I know it is his way of showing his love), but it does not scream love sentiments to me at all, and I am curious to see whther it does to DS as well. I am curious as to how DS and Taek shippers respond to that? I can totally see the love, but it does not feel like the kind of love you would expect between a man and a woman in a romantic way (and I am not only saying that kind of love is all about sexuality, but that's a big part of it. If you love someone without desire, then they are your friends, no?). See what I mean? I am also scared that DS does not see it that way either. That would be my main objection to shipping DS/TK...

I was watching episode 13 this morning (I kept last week's episode for the hiatus! he he) and I was annoyed at the way DS got Taek to eat breakfast... This is what I mean. "Should you eat or eat?" It was like she was barganing with a child: eat breakfast and I won't bother you about lunch and dinner.

PS: I really want to learn Baduk now!

@carolinedlI have been wanting to answer your post a long time ago, but constantly got side tracked. Sorry about that. :) Thanks for your comment, btw.

Regarding your question about Taek x DS’s appeal to the shipper, I can’t really give you a definite answer since it differs from one person to another, based on their preference, taste, experiences, knowledge, upbringing, and zillion other ulterior motives that make us unique human being. What I’m trying to say, the answer for question like “what DS sees in TK” can only be found in the script.

As I mentioned in my baduk post, Taek’s revelation as one of the husband contender is unusual but not all that surprising for me. I am not as good as you guys here in terms of reading the subtext, I just rely my perceptions on the feels that I got from watching scenes. I could tell straight away from episode 2 that Taek's character was prepared for something else. His presence is full of contradiction, which’s shown by the scenes like: DS freely requesting Taek to borrow comic books despite of his status as baduk god outside (emphasized by the adult’s tsk-ing her nerve), adult’s Taek oriented conversation (him maturing, his games, his prospect match, his wealth), Taek consoling DS’s dad followed by revealing his own weakness (or strength?), coming home to quiet and dark house which emphasize his living quiet life with his dad only to be welcomed by the loudest gang in the neighborhood who waited until very late to celebrate his birthday.

Often perceived as the baby, we then question, is it possible that DS will be able to see him as a man? Well if some heroines can fall in love with an alien or vampire, then why not?

For me, any text is plausible, as long as writer is believable in displaying the rationale. For “DS sees TK as a man” text to be real, in my opinion, scenes like her assisting his match in China is very convincing logic. DS was pushed to see another contradiction of Taek. The baby suddenly became a different person. He was intimidating and looked quite frightening during the match (btw you really need this kind of aura to play in such level of match, and this kind of aura can't be seen via TV screen or photograph). To me, her revelation was delivered straight to the point. The way she looked at him inside the elevator was not her usual look to Taek the baby. When he’s surrounded by reporters, she stared at him from a far in a mix of wonder, admiration, respect, and pride. Then one by one, sides of Taek is revealed to us viewer alongside with DS’s own revelation, culminating in Episode 14 when he’s cryptically saying that she didn't know everything about him. The scene wrapped up nicely prior scenes of DS’s confidence of knowing all about Taek and having him all figured out on her palm. Episode 16 also showed DS’s contemplative look after Taek called her to cancel the date. Will this be the other part of “Irony of Life” interpretation of this episode? It’s an irony that when Taek decided to hold back, DS starts to feel differently about him?

For us,  Taek x DS shippers, this text is very very plausible and not to mention very appealing too. We are swooned, yes, and quite hard at that. :D 

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, happy new year to everyone here! One more week, and that's it. I can't wait!!

Another proof of how we are good at taking jokes, please enjoy Taek x DS shippers confidence that HE WILL NEVER BE CHILBONGED but..... 

(shout out to @st4rdust for her creativity)

?id=3566X615606&site=soompi.com&xs=1&isj

No eul is not as innocent as he looks. Remember? He has a bad girlfriend. Well, i'm not sure either they still together but they look fine together after her sister and the parents interfere.

I'm sure No eul suspect sw-bora together but let them be. If i know my scary, rensponsible big big sis seeing someone, just trust her, right? 

Eventhough they were together since little,this 5 friends have something they cannot share together. Their own world.

Sun woo - love baseball but most of them into soccer

Taek - baduk, baduk, baduk world

Jung hwan - his love for big bro? N study? 

Dong Ryong - motorcycle or whatever crazy thing he did without them 

Deok sun - girlish thing, 

No Ep 17 today. I figured that with PBG being pretty busy for the end of year specials (He emceed at KBS for their drama awards!) and many many cfs, the break from filming would be a reprieve. 

RJY seems to be busy with cfs as well. Wonder about Hyeri too.

I hope the cast and crew had a more relaxing time with their friends and family  (at least on the 31st December or today) since they extended their shoot. Things are going to get busy as they have to film continuously now. 

ep17_zpsj5klrwkw.jpg

6 hours ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

Hi! Thank you!

6 hours ago, EMM! said:

As of now, i only have the folder for the bgms + osts used from episodes 1-7~ no one uploaded the rest yet, last time I checked.
If you want the link, please pm me <3

Omg, are you also on Reddit? Haha cause someone also posted on that site and I pm-ed her for the link. Is it you?  

16 hours ago, komanechi said:

Hi guys! Does anyone know what kind of doctor Trash is? He is not specialized on neurology or brain or anything related with head right? Or do you know Michael specialized on what? Or SW??

Trash Oppa is a neurosurgeon :crazy:

16 hours ago, komanechi said:

Are you sure? No way!!

I wish there is no scene where Taek suffer from his headache attack... Oh Taeki....

Unfortunately, I'm sure coz I even looked for the episode when Najung's dad mentioned it. Wait I'll screencap it for you...

10 minutes ago, shooastrid said:

Reveal hidden contents

@shooastrid Wow, that was really interesting!! I loved your explanation of why Taek came in late into the husband game (though I don't know if he was really that much stronger than JH to begin with - would DS make a difference between her four best friends?). I won't go as far as saying that it shows that Taek is the husband, but it definitely shows how they are on equal ground now with the different movements. I guess the one left is DS: she is the one who needs to play now.

Don't get me wrong: I love Taekie and most of us JH and DS shippers really do. We love how layered he is, how passionate and interesting. He is double: awkward and manly, etc. What I am most annoyed at is the kind of relation he is developping with DS though: he is taken care of. I guess we all have different sensibilities but I find that whole mothering thing really not attractive. I can totally understand why he does it (and I know it is his way of showing his love), but it does not scream love sentiments to me at all, and I am curious to see whther it does to DS as well. I am curious as to how DS and Taek shippers respond to that? I can totally see the love, but it does not feel like the kind of love you would expect between a man and a woman in a romantic way (and I am not only saying that kind of love is all about sexuality, but that's a big part of it. If you love someone without desire, then they are your friends, no?). See what I mean? I am also scared that DS does not see it that way either. That would be my main objection to shipping DS/TK...

I was watching episode 13 this morning (I kept last week's episode for the hiatus! he he) and I was annoyed at the way DS got Taek to eat breakfast... This is what I mean. "Should you eat or eat?" It was like she was barganing with a child: eat breakfast and I won't bother you about lunch and dinner.

PS: I really want to learn Baduk now!

@carolinedlI have been wanting to answer your post a long time ago, but constantly got side tracked. Sorry about that. :) Thanks for your comment, btw.

For me, any text is plausible, as long as writer is believable in displaying the rationale. For “DS sees TK as a man” text to be real, in my opinion, scenes like her assisting his match in China is very convincing. DS was pushed to see another contradiction of Taek. The baby suddenly became a different person. He looks intimidating and quite frightening during the match (btw you really need this kind of aura to play in such level of match). To me, her revelation was shown straight to the point. The way she looked at him inside the elevator was not her usual look to Taek the baby. When he’s surrounded by reporters, she looked at him from a far in a mix of wonder, admiration, respect, and pride. Then one by one, sides of Taek is revealed to us viewer alongside with DS’s own revelation, culminating in Episode 14 where he’s cryptically said that she doesn’t know everything about him. The scene wrapped up nicely prior scens of DS’s confidence of knowing all about Taek and having him in her palm. Episode 16 also showed DS’s contemplative look after Taek called her to cancel the date. Will this be the other part of “Irony of Life” interpretation of this episode? It’s an irony that when Taek decided to hold back, DS starts to feel differently about him?

For us,  Taek x DS shippers, this text is very very plausible and not mention very appealing too. We are swooned, yes, and quite hard at that. :D 

I think this will be my last post about this all, because no matter what I say, I'll always be labelled as a JH/DS shipper anyways, therefore blind to any other arguments. It does not matter that I asked questions many times directly to Taek/DS shippers... and that I kept repeating the fact that all it mattered was that it was the story of 5 friends. For me, it was important that we were more  Reply 1988 lovers than anything else... But if a simple question I asked about someone's else argument turns into a lecture on my abilities to read (in terms of actual reading and also interpretation) than it is not okay with me. I read the post with interest, but I could have done without that first paragraph and that joke. I like laughing at myself too and I enjoy good jokes, I can be quite sarcastic too, but somehow the term 'vapid' is a bit harsh. We are enjoying a show, not writing a dissertation. And it is not about who says the most interesting things... I think all of us come here to actually read about the things we've missed or did not get, whether it can about the historical context, or the translation, etc. For instance, you can help us understand baduk and how it shapes the very script. The moment I am judged because what I bring to the conversation is "bland" and uninteresting I think that's when we've missed the point of this forum... If people are not posting things anymore because they are scared that their post might be overlooked because too simple, then... well that sucks.

The reason why I am trying to understand is because I love Taek's character but I often get mad about, yes, what you all often refer to, the script. I can see al the work that has been put into developping Taek as an interesting character. I love Taek. I also knew from quite early on that he probably had feelings for DS. That scene when he was drinking milk spoke volumes. Not because of DS and what she said and did, but that lingering look on his face and the fact that the camera lingered on his face. Then SW came into the picture and we did not see much aof Taek for 6 episodes... I loved what you said on your post about baduk and the penalty. What bothers me is that there is evolution and yet not really. I've said that multiple times here: yes, DS is slowly changing her attitude towards Taek. We are slowly seeing that she is seeing her differently; there was the smoking, then the volleyball, the head of her shoulder and the way she reacts to that, etc. But what bothers me is that despite it all, there are still moments of her babying him. She does care about him but despite seeing an evolution, I still feel that they are more moments of babying him then seeing him as a man. So for instance, in episode 12, Taek looks after DS and waits outside the bathroom while having a smoke. But beginning of episode 13, DS convinces Taek to eat breakfast by bargaining with him: should you eat or should you eat, and if you eat breakfast, I'll leave you alone for lundh and dinner. I hated that scene (for what it represented for Taek/DS) and the tone of DS's voice... That is why that despite all the great scenes we have between Taek and DS, I feel it never quite rises... It goes forward one step, then back two steps.

You know I wish at this point that we'd have more episodes to actually see more of that tension and see a significative evolution. Is it possible in 4 episodes? Maybe. I personally don't think so but I can understand how others can see that. Far from me the idea that Taek will get Chilbonged (a term I dislike anyway), but I can totally relate to that sentiment because I was rooting for Chilbong. They are different characters, etc. But I can identify with the process. (Oh and I love that Taeken photo you posted, ha ha!)

And in relation to the whole taking care of him: I see that people find this attractive in a relationship and actually see how it shows that Taek is confortable enough around her to show how he truly is... But what about DS?... Does she find this attractive to her? I am not sure, but I don't think so. But I think it also is a more personal perception than anything else. For me, loving someone is not about taking care of that person... It is and it is not: indriectly it is because by being there and loving that person, it is not because it is a bit too literal in the case of DS and Taek.

As for any text is plausible - I agree with you. I trust the writers that whatever happens, it will be done nicely. That's all I want at the end of the day.

And: Happy New Year Reply 1988 lovers!

Archived