[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:heart: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!  :heart:

DANCE PARTTY!

party.jpg

BTW, I just wanted to thank everyone for your amazing posts.

Everyone here expresses themselves so well. Thank you for your eloquence. Thank you for your passion. Thank you for explaining and loving and defending your ship(s). Thank you for great general information & news about the show itself.

Also, those of you who do not speak English as a first language-- you all have my enduring respect and admiration. As someone who struggled to learn Chinese as a second language in university, I seriously envy those of you who speak multiple languages. For some of you, English is literally your 3rd or 4th language. :w00t: That's amazing. It's the *privilege* of native English speakers to share Soompi with so many drama fans around the world. Seriously. If Great Britain/USA were, historically speaking, less of an a$$hole on the world stage and didn't go around stealing from / bullying everyone, no one on Soompi would be using English today. Then the cards would be reversed. :sweatingbullets: So thank you non-native English speakers for humoring native English speakers with your lovely posts. Happy new year, girls. :wub:

Annyeong chingudeul~ I don't know if anyone has brought this up here, but I just realized something:

tumblr_o08dslgKYC1qbyuu5o1_540.jpg

Since ep 16 was Life is an irony part I and how many of the scenes talk about the dream job of each character in the future, I realized before the boys went out to play soccer, DR was reading the book "Popular Remedies for Colon-Related Troubles". I mean, yes I acknowledge that DR isn't that good in his studies and that in one of the episodes DS said he was last place, but isn't it possible that DR could be a doctor like his classmate Michael (he's a doctor in R94) who sits behind him? I mean, the camera focuses on this book not for nothing, right?

Guest aoikarin

I'm back! just excitedly play firework and watched so many fireworks from my rooftop! Happy NEW YEAR! and found this nice PBG fanvid! *fangriling* early in 2016

crdt as tagged

Guest wizengamot

lol, i've noticed it too. I thought it was SW who was reading the med book, but when i watched again, lo and behold, it was DR. We can come up with 4 possibilities:

1) that DR is looking for remedies because he's having an upset stomach or anything of the like, (but he can always ask the guys/the elders for remedies, right?)

2) He's interested in med and might be foreshadowing a possibility that he'll study and try to be a doctor,  

3) someone from the group will be taking med and the irony of it is though DR is the one reading it someone else and not him will become a doctor

4) he's using it as a pillow (but it's not thick enough to be a pillow though) 

@wizengamot 

11 minutes ago, wizengamot said:

lol, i've noticed it too. I thought it was SW who was reading the med book, but when i watched again, lo and behold, it was DR. We can come up with 4 possibilities:

1) that DR is looking for remedies because he's having an upset stomach or anything of the like, (but he can always ask the guys/the elders for remedies, right?)

2) He's interested in med and might be foreshadowing a possibility that he'll study and try to be a doctor,  

3) someone from the group will be taking med and the irony of it is though DR is the one reading it someone else and not him will become a doctor

4) he's using it as a pillow (but it's not thick enough to be a pillow though) 

Well it could be that he's secretly collecting the datas from the  books in his sleep :P.

53 minutes ago, namunamuyeppeo said:

Annyeong chingudeul~ I don't know if anyone has brought this up here, but I just realized something:

tumblr_o08dslgKYC1qbyuu5o1_540.jpg

Since ep 16 was Life is an irony part I and how many of the scenes talk about the dream job of each character in the future, I realized before the boys went out to play soccer, DR was reading the book "Popular Remedies for Colon-Related Troubles". I mean, yes I acknowledge that DR isn't that good in his studies and that in one of the episodes DS said he was last place, but isn't it possible that DR could be a doctor like his classmate Michael (he's a doctor in R94) who sits behind him? I mean, the camera focuses on this book not for nothing, right?

No, DR just has hemorrhoids and is reading a self-help remedy book for its treatment. 

DR keeps scratching and touching his butt in Ep 16. Michael asks why, and whether DR has hemorrhoids. DR denies it, but later, it reveals DR reading the home remedy book for hemorrhoids and constipation, implying that he indeed does have hemorrhoids. Aigoo, our always suffering DR!

1 minute ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

No, DR just has hemorrhoids and is reading a self-help remedy book for its treatment. 

DR keeps scratching and touching his butt in Ep 16. Michael asks why, and whether DR has hemorrhoids. DR denies it, but later, it reveals DR reading the home remedy book for hemorrhoids and constipation, implying that he indeed does have hemorrhoids. Aigoo, our always suffering DR!

Thank you for your explanation! Aigoo DR no wonder he kept on scratching his butt lol. Get well soon to our Dongryong 

Okay then, bye bye DR being a doctor I guess? hahaha

Guest wizengamot
29 minutes ago, nearsea said:

@wizengamot 

Well it could be that he's secretly collecting the datas from the  books in his sleep :P.

he thinks that by sleeping on the book, the information will transfer to his head lol wahaha!!!

3 minutes ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

thanks!!! :D so the #1 possibility is the correct one. tsk

@wizengamot Lol haha yeah.Honestly all the DR moments make me remember my school days.Like when he was asking JH something[I forgot what but which was also quite funny,]and jh directed him at the window,and there we have the dean[ex]..looking at his son with the dead-stare..I think I've experienced this too lol.

--- I won't be surprised if he actually ends up being the doctor.It could be that he has got good brain,being son of his parents,just does not discover it till long.I remember him looking at JH's math notes and saying what's this? It all looks foreign to me lol.So it could be that he's scared of maths[which goes in sync with some of the med students,not all I should add] =S.Also his friend being Michael might be a catalyst too lol.

Guest wizengamot
24 minutes ago, nearsea said:

@wizengamot Lol haha yeah.Honestly all the DR moments make me remember my school days.Like when he was asking JH something[I forgot what but which was also quite funny,]and jh directed him at the window,and there we have the dean[ex]..looking at his son with the dead-stare..I think I've experienced this too lol.

--- I won't be surprised if he actually ends up being the doctor.It could be that he has got good brain,being son of his parents,just does not discover it till long.I remember him looking at JH's math notes and saying what's this? It all looks foreign to me lol.So it could be that he's scared of maths[which goes in sync with some of the med students,not all I should add] =S.Also his friend being Michael might be a catalyst too lol.

yes, maybe if he really focuses on his studies he could be a doctor or have good grades. I mean, he is not the block's counselor for nothing. i'm sure he've got the brains, it;s just that we never really see him study that's why. i think Michael here is not even top of the class like SW and JH, and yet on R94 he studied med. In my real life experience, i found this to be true. after graduating college, some of my classmates pursued medical doctor course and they're not even the top of the class. DR still have a year to work on his studies like what DS is doing. 

I see the writers are keeping on with the whole "we don't know" till after finale airing interviews where they reveal how they had everything mapped out and the things the audience caught and missed. I do believe them when they say episode 18 script is not done. Even when you know where you're headed, the hardest thing to do is start and finish a story (in the middle you kind of got a glow so it's not as challenging as the other two -for most writers that is). I think they may have an idea where that episode will go and the script has begun, but they may not have words in each characters mouth. I'm kind of worried about a time skip. I hope we get it early and are just given scenic flashbacks of the 89-94 bits. I dint have to see every single thing (like we can be to,d instead of shown some family arcs for example Sunwoo's mom and Taek's dad eventual dating and or remarriage. The sister bonding however must be shown). Also I don't really need to see the kids resolve their feelings in '89 (Deok Sun can write them both a 'Dear John' letter before heading off to college) we can get flashbacks and see final resolution in 94 and please less studying scenes all around (are we going to watch Bora study too). It's kind of difficult to see how they can resolve everything and make it satisfying. But they did it with less time in 1997 (I think we only got 3 eps filled with mini scenes if OTP kiss and dating) so I'm sure they can pull it off once again. 

It's still 2015 in my corner of the world but HAPPY NEW YEAR one and. May 2016 be as kind or kinder to all of you and yours. Can you guys believe it's 2016 already...

14 hours ago, EMM! said:

[NEWS] Reply 1988 to hold a concert on March 5, 2016
to share, please go here: http://eyesonryu.tumblr.com/post/136313184660/news-reply-1988-to-hold-a-concert-on-march-5

IYin6se.jpg

News article by Eyes on RYU | eyesonryu.tumblr.com
Please share with proper credits!
Do not translate to other language without our permission.
Thank you!

During the last months of 2015, TvN’s Reply 1988 has been the one of the trending dramas people love to watch during their Fridays and Saturdays. Though it might be saddening to realize that the drama is reaching its end this coming January 2016, the Reply 1988 fever just won’t stop right away.

In order to give back to their fans for their unending love and support for the series and its characters, there will be a Reply 1988 concert this coming March 2016.

An official from the Reply drama told Sport Donga that they are planning to hold a concert on March 5, 2016 at Seoul Hoegi-dong Kyunghee University Hall of Peace. Hyeri, Ryu Jun Yeol, Park Bogum and the other drama leads are in preparation for their performances. Lee Moon Se, Jeon In Kwon and other singer’s performances are also to be expected.

This Reply Concert is a privilege which can only happen in the Reply series. All installments of the Reply series (Reply 1997, Reply 1994, and Reply 1988) are not only famous for the drama itself, but its OSTs receive so much attention and it creates a genre “Drama Concert.”

Among the Reply 1988 OSTs, Jeon In Kwon’s ‘Don’t Worry, My Dear’, Lee Moon Se’s 'Girl’, and Kim Chang Won’s 'Youth’ secured top positions in every music site so their appearances in this special concert are something to look forward to.

---------------

What performances are you looking forward to?
What songs do you want to see?
Are your hearts ready for Sunwoo-Dongryong-Junghwan Sobangcha comeback?!
And for Bogum's singing skills?!!?!?!?!?

/dead/

@EMM! Is there a way to get more info on the concert? LIKE TICKETS for those who wants to attend??? I might just FLY out to korea for this!!!!!

9 hours ago, nearsea said:

The writer/director team saying that script is not finished yet must be the biggest troll of all.*Enters goat sound*.For a drama which started shooting before hand,to say that they don't have the finished script at hand is simply implied to mislead the audience lol.Very sure they know what they are doing and how they're going to end this.As I remember @Mellinadear posting this on tk thread that 'future husband-wife team would be present in the last three episodes'...So that is a hint right? If the script was not complete they would not leak this information.

It's possible that they have all of the "broad strokes" of the story fleshed out: who's the husband, the basic plot outline for relationships, specific scenes/developments along the way (time skips, flashbacks, etc.) that they want to show, but don't have all the extremely fine details all worked out yet: the exact dialogue and placement of all of those detailed props. . .lol

That's how I'd interpret that statement anyway. But I do agree with @lelee, in that I don't get how you wouldn't finish the script before filming. I mean, I only do technical writing (Psychology/Sociological focused) and not fiction/entertainment - but I like to have it all done and buttoned up before I ever have to publish/present (like when I'm teaching). Working on it "on the fly" or in progress makes me nervous - so I'd like to think that if I was writing a script, I'd want to have the script done before filming starts (one can always tweak if needed, but at least it's done). But everyone has a different process. Perhaps this writer (and director) like the flexibility to see how earlier episodes go and flesh out - see the chemistry of the actors/actresses and have the ability to be really flexible in their story lines as they go on - start filming with a very detailed outline of exactly what they want to do and show, and when they want to show it, but finalize those exact fine details as they go. It would make me nervous as all heck - but I guess it works for them!

EDIT: and I was "ninja'd" by @MrsSoJiSub a few hours ago (I really should read the whole thread before replying while I'm catching up lol).

5 minutes ago, JCM said:

It's possible that they have all of the "broad strokes" of the story fleshed out: who's the husband, the basic plot outline for relationships, specific scenes/developments along the way (time skips, flashbacks, etc.) that they want to show, but don't have all the extremely fine details all worked out yet: the exact dialogue and placement of all of those detailed props. . .lol

That's how I'd interpret that statement anyway. But I do agree with @lelee, in that I don't get how you wouldn't finish the script before filming. I mean, I only do technical writing (Psychology/Sociological focused) and not fiction/entertainment - but I like to have it all done and buttoned up before I ever have to publish/present (like when I'm teaching). Working on it "on the fly" or in progress makes me nervous - so I'd like to think that if I was writing a script, I'd want to have the script done before filming starts (one can always tweak if needed, but at least it's done). But everyone has a different process. Perhaps this writer (and director) like the flexibility to see how earlier episodes go and flesh out - see the chemistry of the actors/actresses and have the ability to be really flexible in their story lines as they go on - start filming with a very detailed outline of exactly what they want to do and show, and when they want to show it, but finalize those exact fine details as they go. It would make me nervous as all heck - but I guess it works for them!

Oh are you a writer? I do get where your concerns come from,considering any on going process sounds risky and tentative to me too lol,especially when you've to consider the deadline.My work is related to design,so we always have to catch the submission deadline within the specific time period assigned,so this is a very risky business.But this team is very very talented as you said,that they could  experience with different ideas to find out which one works  better/best among the lot.Maybe it's something like you write down something on paper,but it is not promising enough three-dimensionally.So maybe they want to make the best out of the process,that's where the tension comes from,to keep up the quality of work.But yeah,I do wish like you that the main outline..decisions are sorted out,and that they're working on the details and different possibilities.But have to say film making/producing/directing along with writing is heck lot of works.I am always in awe of the people involved lol.

28 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Oh are you a writer? I do get where your concerns come from,considering any on going process sounds risky and tentative to me too lol,especially when you've to consider the deadline.My work is related to design,so we always have to catch the submission deadline within the specific time period assigned,so this is a very risky business.But this team is very very talented as you said,that they could  experience with different ideas to find out which one works  better/best among the lot.Maybe it's something like you write down something on paper,but it is not promising enough three-dimensionally.So maybe they want to make the best out of the process,that's where the tension comes from,to keep up the quality of work.But yeah,I do wish like you that the main outline..decisions are sorted out,and that they're working on the details and different possibilities.But have to say film making/producing/directing along with writing is heck lot of works.I am always in awe of the people involved lol.

Not like this no. In a "past life" (read as: 5-10 years ago), I was a production/layout designer and am thus well acquainted with the ever looming deadlines you talk about lol. Now, I'm a college professor (Psychology and Sociology), so my writing is limited to class lectures and materials, and research briefs/submissions for publication - so not like writing a television show. The closest I'd come to the process is when writing a lecture for class (a typical "lecture on a particular subject" would generally run across 3 or so class periods). I run my classroom like a forum - whatever subject/area we're talking about, I present the broad idea and the research on that idea, then show examples (generally from television shows, stuff from youtube ect.) and then we start to breakdown those ideas and theories through discussion - thus, I have no idea where that discussion will take us beforehand, so I do have to "tweak on the fly" quite a bit and be prepared for whatever idea students may come up with and be able to facilitate/respond to discussion. But that doesn't mean that I don't have a full, complete lecture with all supplementary material (videos, demonstrations, and handouts) prepared beforehand.

Now, I'm not likely to use everything that was written in every class (I typically teach 3 sections of 2 different classes per semester - some materials may work better for some classes than others), nor likely to have stuff specifically written for topics/questions that will come up in class - but I still have all of "my stuff" done before hand - I can always tweak and change that to fit the class as I go.  .  . but I'd never go in with just a "broad outline" and "see what happens" and continue writing/preparing as I go. I have multiple things "done" before and then select which thing to use on the fly as we go. Trying to complete material as I'm using it would be far too nerve wracking for my tastes, but that could just be me. . . while I no longer have the "OH NO! I forgot to do my homework" dreams, I do have "OH NO! I forgot to prepare the PowerPoint/finish writing the test. . . the students are going to be so angry" dreams. . .LOL so maybe I'm just a nervous person.

I can visualize how such a process could work on a show and how it might actually be a better decision - hit all the broad strokes at the beginning, and then flesh it out as you go along. It would give the benefit of saying something like "Well, in episode 12, this worked really well, and this is the exact dialogue that was used. Let's refer back to that in episode 14 using this exact dialogue so we can draw a really neat parallel for people that are paying close attention" or "This didn't go over so well in episode 13 and viewers didn't catch it or understand fully, so as we're referring back to that in episode 15, lets do it this way, with this dialogue so that we can really drive the point home to viewers and clear up any misunderstanding" - working those exact details out right before filming would give one great flexibility and I can see the advantage. I would just be really nervous because working like that (if that's what they're doing) would have to come with a lot of pressure to make sure everything is consistent and delivered on time without much "wiggle room" in the schedule to think/plan things out. I do great work on deadline under pressure, but I also like the ability to plan with a lot of time before I get to that deadline. . . 

24 minutes ago, JCM said:

I do great work on deadline under pressure, but I also like the ability to plan with a lot of time before I get to that deadline.

Yeah also it's likely that there are people who love the thrill to work best under pressure,or might also be enjoying it.Some people really have the ability to handle pressure and have got superior nerve system lol so they can still function after working constantly for several days/months.In creative process sometimes artists have to juggle through several works at a time,so compared to that this team [production/direction/editing],should be pro right? Also,I feel different people belong to different league of work,and no matter how hard the job is ,they're at it because they love it.But as you said,people work differently.So some would like to finish the work with time at hand,and some likes to work till the eleventh hour lol.But for this drama,I am not taking the news literally,these are just dead flashes to keep us hooked I think.I refuse to take it other wise lol.

--Btw,loved the deconstruction of your working process.Psychology is awesome,and co-incidentally I am watching IRY so currently I'm trying to look at everything with the third eye lol.Though this might sound very very trite...I guess.Just ignore the rant for the moment =/.

Archived