[Reality Show] The Genius 더지니어스 Season 3 - TVN (Season concluded 17th Dec 2014)

Can anyone explain how it's play? the black mission game that he chose... I didn't even understand when the guy was explaining it ...

I love how jung hoon was finally able to show his ability hope he makes it far... And surprise about dongmin since I see him as a comedian in other varieties... I wish these 2 are the last two... And I also find that poker guy charming lol

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest m1deoyo

episode 5 spoilers/review:

main match: mining game (featuring my attempt at explaining it)

basically, they stick their hands into this 'mine' to get gold/silver/bronze/diamond/bomb. gold/silver/bronze/diamond have corresponding points, and getting three bombs automatically gives your group zero points. each team take turns mining, and when it's not their group's turn, the players individually place bets on how many points the mining team will get.

if the total number of points the other players bet is more than the actual points the mining team got, the mining team splits the points they got and the other players get zero points, except for the person who bet the most (since his bet will be deducted from his points) and the person who bet the least (will get the points that the person who bet the most lost).

if the total number of points the other players bet is less than the actual points the mining team got, they get their respective bets, while the mining team will get (total bets - actual points) / 3.

if the mining team gets three bombs, resulting in an automatic zero, the other players get the amount of points they individually bet.

group 1 - yeonseung (oriental doctor), jongbeom (webtoon writer), yeonjoo (actress).
group 2 - hyunmin (kaist student), yoohyun (poker player), junghoon (actor).
group 3 - dongmin (entertainer/comedian), ahyoung (announcer/harvard grad), sujin (financial planner).

reward:
for the person with highest points out of all of them -- 1 black garnet + two life tokens.
for the person in each group with highest points -- 3 garnets.

main winner: hyunmin -- received 1 black garnet, 3 garnets, two life tokens (one of them given to dongmin)
other winners: yeonjoo, ahyoung -- received 3 garnets.
loser: yeonseung

player review of main match:

hyunmin - proven time and time again how crafty of a player he is. he allied with dongmin in this round, to make sure that he will come out on top. knows both when to and not to compromise, and also protected his teammates from being the bottom as much as he can while not giving up his position in the alliance with dongmin.

dongmin - he's arguably better than gura ever was. always seems to be on the forefront of alliances, brought his teammates into hyunmin's plan, promising them that they won't be in last place. his main plan in the genius seems to be to go as far as possible, even without winning any main matches by himself.

yoohyun - planning was great, except hyunmin and dongmin were steps ahead of him.

junghoon - sheep of group two, but then again, he has both the brains who do not hesitate to craft a plan and speak their minds in his group.

ahyoung and yeonjoo - the amount of their garnets are unreal, considering their gameplay. they're total death match fodder. and will probably get taken far because of that. i hope not, though.

jongbeom and sujin- pretty invisible this ep, other than scenes with his/her group.

yeonseung - same as jongbeom, except this time, he got pushed to last place again because of hyunmin's planning.

death match: front-back poker

players: yeonseung, sujin.

they were pretty on par, but that mistake from sujin (she was gonna bet on 'back' but belatedly realized that she bet on 'front') in the game cost her a lot since yeonseung bet on both sides. yeonseung's turning out to be quite a death match player, i see them targeting him more because of that.

winner: yeonseung - got 1 black garnet.
eliminated: sujin, gave her garnets to dongmin.

next episode preview: seems like a stocks kinda game? their previews are always deceiving, but it seems like yoohyun/dongmin/hyunmin are trying to work together but it looks like there will be a fallout?

My own belated opinion on Ep4 :

Dongmin had keen observation which singled out Yeonseung as Verita team leader just based on the unusual way Yeonseung 'opened up' to him, which contrasted with his usual behaviour. He was also quick to notice that given Hyunmin's and Yoohyun's personalities, they were not likely to give shield to Yeonseung (whom they had no qualms bringing down in the last ep) unless he was the leader. He also correctly surmised Yoohyun's double sword attack was fake - probably out of desperation since the doc was only an attack away from death - and that they should raise doubt on it, since he knew Hweejong's role as their leader and that he already took two attacks on the other arm. I was peeved that Hweejong overruled Dongmin's suggestion with confidence stemmed from nowhere. Hweejong, as the leader, should know better that he couldn't take any more attacks. The other three did not know who the leader was so I couldn't blame them for not voicing out on it. All they needed was just another attack on Verita leader whose team was already one man down anyway. If they had only one shield for their own team, they should hazard a guess that the other team might do the same too. I was also annoyed Hweejong said the fault of team loss was 90% his but Dongmin should bear the other 10%. I mean, hello, wasn't you the one who didn't listen to him?!

@snowdjinn Black Garnets will be gone once used, but having a Black Garnet means a higher possibility of getting targeted so players having it were okay giving it to someone else.

@clumsycaked

If Junghoon won the Black Mission, it would be him, not Hweejong, who would pick the other DM candidate to replace him. And based on Junghoon's words, he would have picked Dongmin to go DM. Remember back in the 1st ep, Junghoon mentioned there was some old feud between him and Dongmin (something to do with betrayal), and that he would eliminate Dongmin when he got the chance.

Although Junghoon failed in the BM, he was only a combination short and was quick to pick out the previous, so he did have some quick brains. I remember Jinho was lousy in Gyul Hap in S1 finale, and was only saved by his 'alliance'. Junghoon also proved his mettle in DM with help from Yoohyun. He stuck well to the strategy of being consistent in betting so that Hweejong had no basis of deducing his hand. He also looked more composed than Hweejong who succumbed to the nonsensical curiosity of wanting to find out the card at the expense of losing chips. Hweejong also always looked reluctant to fold even a bad hand, a big no-no when it comes to playing poker. Card counting is basic poker 101, as Jinho did in S1 and Yoohyun also mentioned it in Ep1.

Guest titinio

I'm surprised no one mention this ^___________^

Article: [Exclusive] 'The Genius 3' Hong Jinho and Lee Sangmin to have another match

201410291835778646_5450b5180f5e0_99_2014

1. [+3972, -51] It's Kong Jinho. I'm definitely going to watch it

2. [+2680, -57] Hul hul Kong is the main of The Genius. It's not completed without the main

3. [+2337, -50] Hong Jinho is a must for The Genius~!!!

4. [+1925, -60] I hope they don't play sly and team up like the previous season!

5. [+246, -6] What I was surprised with Hong Jinho the most is how he won #1 by recognizing the differences on the back side of the cards

-

so.....YYAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY "\(^v^)/"
we'll have KONG back in the game~!!!!
although i prefer to have sunggy instead of sangmin (he's not my fav D:)

i wonder what episode will they appear >___< episode 6? 7?
i cannot wait any longer!!

i need HONG JINHO - OH HYUNMIN showdown!
let them battle 1 on 1 !!!
who's going to win?

what do you guys think?

nanstarrr said: Can anyone explain how it's play? the black mission game that he chose... I didn't even understand when the guy was explaining it ... I love how jung hoon was finally able to show his ability hope he makes it far... And surprise about dongmin since I see him as a comedian in other varieties... I wish these 2 are the last two... And I also find that poker guy charming lol

Guest clumsycaked

@alasti
I'm terrible at games especially those with time limit, but I would pick observation since I'm not good at calculating or memorising things in a short time. That said, I probably only have about 20% chance of succeeding the game >:D<

@nanstarr

They shortened the explanation a lot compared to Season 1

:D
In short, the player must find 3 images that have either:
- A common element eg. same shape and colour, or same background colour
- Nothing in common at all eg.different shapes, colour and background
But if eg. there is the same shape and colour, and the background is 2 yellow and 1 grey, that would not count. So elements (shape, shape colour, background) must be common for all 3, or different.
Once player is sure that there are no order images fitting that, they will call out Gyul.

@JennyT

Oh yes I got confused about the who gets to picked the next elimination candidate @-) It was such a pity that he missed out that one. Even if it is not the feud, it will be better for him to send a more formidable player out rather than the actress.

Junghoon did hold his fort down well in the DM by being consistent. Hweejeong was trying to find a way to lure and trick him, and gave up after that - but I know the feeling of wanting to check something you feel like you reaaally shouldn't :))

The game app!! I'll check it out when I feel like killing my brain cells. Hopefully it's understandable even for those with no Korean skills.

@titinio
Yeessssss pumped up for that episode, Kong made such a big impression lol.
If Hyunmin and Kong fought it out, it feels like Hyunmin will win because he's a little more cunning :D
It will be interesting if Dongmin and Sang min are on opposing teams.

hong jinho and lee sangmin to have another match? what kind of game that prepared for that episode? i like hong jinho but if it's gonna be jinho allies vs sangmin allies then i don't know.. it's not they are part of the game anymore.. they're just guest so if the game is centered on jinho and sangmin i guess it's not really right for the contestant remain..

or not? haha that's just my opinion~

I want sungyu to play as well ;-;

AND

thanks for the app will definitely give it a try :D

Also just wondering why don't we organize a genious game here in the forum. Some games are easily playable in forum setting.

I remember there was a forum that organized liar game.

Edit:

So, i downloaded the first app snd there was nothing. I just get a screen and music but there's nothing. Is it a troll?

Episode 5 spoiler

The MM is Mining Game. HyunMin was ahead of everyone else during the MM. While everyone was still deciding on what strategy to use, he already got a few going on. First he observed the mine and the blocks they're gonna used very carefully. Then, he convinced his teammates on getting small points on mining to minimise getting absolutely nothing while mining, and instead getting big points on guessing other teams. After all that, he made a counter measure to safe himself just incase everything gets awry with his team. When he choose between the 2 other team to join forces, he decided on DongMin instead of JaeBom coz DongMin is very persuasive. DongMin teammates (AYoung & SoJin) didn't even have other plans beside to follow him. While JaeBom is the leader of his team, he just can't seems to totally controlled his teammates, esp. the doctor (he seemed to be the one who would try to save his own life in the end).

The thing that makes me in awe with HyunMin is that he managed to set up all of the strategies with minimal actions (at least to others eyes) and he didn't bare all of his strategies at once. He wait for the right moment to share it with the people he needed. He didn't share his strategy on guessing very big points while the mining team commit suicide with DongMin until later on the game. And also his alliance with DongMin team was so hidden that nobody saw it coming. HyunMin played the MM almost perfectly.

I actually thought that the MM was very one sided, no one really had the chance to win it beside HyunMin. It's not just because of HyunMin, the others were at fault too. Why didn't they realise the weight difference earlier? They could've find out about it before the game begin if they tried to observed it beforehand. No one beside HyunMin even bother to check the mines and the blocks and when they saw him did it they just kinda ignored him. Everyone else were too busy in making alliance, that they didn't care about the game props. If the weight difference was discovered earlier the game would've turned out differently. Anyone could've thought of HyunMin's suicide mining strategy or maybe other strategies using it.

As for the DM, the doctor was so bad at reading the situation, I think he deserved to be in the DM. Too bad he had to select SoJin as his opponent. It's one of the bad side effect of HyunMin strategies, he couldn't protect all of his allies. SoJin was just unlucky in the DM, coz I don't really think the doctor did that great at it. It's just one mistake but everything was ruined for her after that.

Side Note :
- HyunMin is becoming a bigger threat to everyone else. He should always be on top of his game to figure out strategies that could give him a upper hand. If he doesn't he would immediately become everyone's target.
- YooHyun is feeling betrayed by HyunMin. He was a few step behind him in the MM. This could turn him against HyunMin later. Although it would be nice to see them going head to head, I just hope it's not too soon.
- Everyone else need to step up their game for real, or else they'd be a pawn to HyunMin's strategies.

Guest ourefan

@alasti: omg yeah LET'S (-: haha i don't mind organizing it either but it'll have to wait until after my IB (which conveniently starts tomorrow and i'm like... super freaking unprepared...)

lmao i just realised this is my first post here but i sound so comfortable HAHA

alzalya said:I actually thought that the MM was very one sided, no one really had the chance to win it beside HyunMin. It's not just because of HyunMin, the others were at fault too. Why didn't they realise the weight difference earlier? They could've find out about it before the game begin if they tried to observed it beforehand. No one beside HyunMin even bother to check the mines and the blocks and when they saw him did it they just kinda ignored him. Everyone else were too busy in making alliance, that they didn't care about the game props. If the weight difference was discovered earlier the game would've turned out differently. Anyone could've thought of HyunMin's suicide mining strategy or maybe other strategies using it.

Guest titinio

@taengstache that's what i want too };3 i want sunggyu and jinho. then i got this from neighbor thread lol

by ShootAnonymous on OH thread

On the afternoon of the 29th, tvn PDs revealed that the S1 & S2 victors Hong Jin Ho and Sangmin participate(/will participate) in the filming of Genius S3.  "To help the players, the two (YellOw & Sangmin) participated as guests, sparking an exciting battle of wits which will be revealed through episode."

CR: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3379321474

so, (by the PD's excuse) jinho & sangmin were chosen because they're the winner from both previous seasons. they will be there to "teach" this season players how to play the game, lol, well, understandable. this season players are smart, but they lack game sense and variety skill?
i'm not asking them to be good at variety (S2 proven it that it's BLEH season) but at least, do something braver to excite the game more. most of contestant in this season are a bit passive and play safe imo.

jinho has the skills to think out of the box while sangmin is good at making alliance without really being called traitor (admittedly,this man is prolly the most flexible player, he went from one alliance to other alliance yet able to gain their trust. it's a skill anyhow)

anyway, i'm waiting for their game since they're players with opposites surviving skills.

back to topic:
i haven't watch the 5th episode yet, so can't comment on that one. but i have seen the others, and to be honest, i have to say this.
I HATE 'GUESSING THE LEADER' GAME!! it's somehow less exciting, yet they made it as a MM twice T.T

most players in this season have BAAADDD acting skills, why the PD keep giving them this kind of game? games like guessing the leader need someone who's good at psychological game, playing the other players (like gura did), we all need more interaction among the players instead of just teaming up into 2 team (the option is smaller, instead of 1 vs 9, its more 1vs 4) that's why the MM become so short, its due to this theme.

i prefer games like in S1, scamming horse race (or middle race), or games using card (open,pass ; 123 cards) even zombieVShuman was more exciting than the last 4 eps games combined.

and the death match, i was only excited during the scissors,paper,rock betting. the lawyer use clever strategy, while the 2side cards betting also not bad. i like junghoon's play, tho its more like luck (coz the number on the bottom are random, u can't using counting cards method since u can't know what it is without open it, and when players fold, they didn't open the card, such a pity,. then how do you know the pattern of number in each card?)

i originally think they use some pattern for the number of front and back card, then i realized that when we saw the back card, its random number, heh, it would be more exciting if there's pattern in number placing for front and back parts. coz then it meants there's a certain way to win the death match.

anyway, i will still following this variety (as long as hyunmin and yoohyun still there XDDD)
currently also expecting a new dark horse like sunggyu >.<

Thanks @zoromaru for the heads-up! Just updated the thread topic with E4 BTS and E5 eng sub episodes.
Will be travelling a bit so may not be able to update as quickly. Would be good if someone can help to post the video links when the new subbed episodes are out. Thanks!

Guest snowdjinn

WOW, Episode 5 is awesome and super-exciting !!!!
i am sad that we only have 7 more episodes. Then the players will disappear... so sad. I hope they cast Hyunmin for CRIMESCENE.
Hyunmin, Dongmin or Yoohyun on CrimeScene would be AWESOME !! but thats off-topic ....sorry.

EPISODE 5 :
- includes Main Match and Deathmatch Analysis
- includes nicknames for all 8 players
- includes the style i think the 8 players play (compare them to S1+S2 players)
- includes "3 Most Powerful Players"
-
includes "2 Darkhorses"
-
includes "3 Weakest Players"
- my opinion on Sangmin & Jinho as guests
spoilers !! *Click "Show" to view*

A. Main Match
This was exciting ! Its a bit like the "bean game" from S1. There are teams BUT the best strategy is really to make a deal with someone from the other team and betray your own team IF you have the guts to do it. Of course, front-runners are Hyunmin, Dongmin and Yoohyun. In this episode i realized that there is a huge difference between these 3 players and all others. Hyunmin, Dongmin and Yoohyun are very active ! They do stuff. They make strategies. They pull the strings in every episode ! The other players do very little and try to survive with little effort. You can feel that very much, especially in Episode 5. I like how the Miner Game is also a bit of luck... because it seems to be really  hard to notice the difference in weight. we talk about 0.7 ! Most people will not feel this difference ! Remember, Dongmins teammembers tried to do it but even after Dongmin told them they couldnt feel the difference !! Hyunmin was also not sure and picked a whole bunch of stones just to make sure he catches 3 bombs. So yes, its obviously very hard to feel it. Really have to respect Dongmin who figured this out. Half the players formed an alliance to make Hyunmin the winner ! It worked but unfortunately the alliance was too big and one member couldnt be protected and was pushed into the deathmatch.

B. Death Match
I already had a bad impression of the Oriental Doctor but what was he thinking ??? the whole time he is the outcast that nobody cares about. Then, Dongmin reaches out his hand and offers the Oriental Doctor a deal. He offered Yeonseung 6 garnets (!) and to be part of his alliance. A great offer that can save him for at least another 2 episodes with a good garnet count. All he has to do is pick anyone except Sujin and then he can enjoy that he is no longer an outcast. And whats his answer ? He says NO and picks Sujin. Bad move, i think ! we have PROOF that Dongmin really helps his team members. He worked hard to try to save both his team members in this episode ! Anyway, death match... its Poker again. Sunjin has a LOT OF BAD LUCK and then she makes a very bad mistake and ..... sadly... because of that.... gets rightfully eliminated. I cannot believe the doctor survived another match. He is not even good at DeathMatches.

C. THE THREE MOST POWERFUL PLAYERS

01. HYUNMIN (Favorite to win S3)
Nickname: The Wizard (of Gameplay)
Style:        Jinho (Game Strategist)
My points: 10 out of 10 points (Perfect)

This cute kid is really the greatest Genius Player so far. Not only does he know the best strategy, he can also do multiple plans at the same time, he has backup plans, he is negotiating with everyone at the same time, he has goals he wants to achieve, he is superactive and its just fun to watch him do his magic. They can only eliminate him if they team-up against him. And even then, he probably just wins the Death-Match and survives.

02. Dongmin (Runner-up to win S3)
Nickname: The General (Leader of troops who cares for his soldiers)
Style:        Sangmin (Alliance, Plotting)
My points: 10 out of 10 points (perfect)

He has true leadership skill A lot of players allied with him in the past episodes. Just like Sangmin, Dongmin seems to have this Social Power that makes people ally with him. Dongmin is not so much like Gura... Gura didnt have that kind of game play skill and Gura never was able to create big alliances. In fact, Gura was an outcast starting in episode3. Thats right, rewatch S1. Gura only has teams in Ep1 and Ep2. Dongmin is much much better than Gura and probably even slightly better than Sangmin. He is a very loud teamleader but thats because he knows EXACTLY what to do. He lost his team so it will be very interesting to see if he can gain new allies and even create a new team. (Possible team would be Dongmin, AhYoung, Hyunmin, YeonJoo) He reminds me A LOT of Sangmin in S1.

03. Yoohyun (Runner-Up to win S3)
Nickname: Poker Prince (yes, he is goodlooking.)
Style:        EunJiwon (All-Rounder)   
My Points: 09 out of 10 points (almost perfect)

Just like EunjiWon, Yoohyun is good at everything. Both of them are pretty flawless and can play any kind of style anytime. From time to time, they miscalculate or underestimate an opponent or they are slower than other top players. That happened to Jiwon and it happened to Yoohyun. Nevertheless, they dont have any weaknesses and usually perform great. It will be very hard to eliminate YooHyun because i think he will be strong in Deathmatches.
And Yes.... good-looking... very charming.

D. The 2 DARK HORSES

04. Jongbum
Nickname: The Phantom
Style: Jonghyun (Defensive, Hidden Skills)
My Points: 07 out of 10 (good)

Seriously, Jongbum has SO MUCH potential. He is very smart, very quick and has good understanding of gameplay. He has some knowledge of psychology and seems to be able to use it to read people. Maybe he is a bit too defensive. He still tries to play it safe and move to the next round unnoticed. Its really difficult to say how powerful he really is. Since he understands games very quickly he is probably very dangerous in Deathmatches. He is the only player who also noticed that "something is wrong with the miner stones". In that aspect, he was even better than Yoohyun. Jongbum is still saving his energy and he might explode in the Solo Play that starts around episode 7 onwards. Right now, he is still a Phantom, a Mystery, hiding his skills. Because he is weak ? Or because he is very strong (like Jonghyun?) we will see in future episodes.
05. Junghoon
Nickname:  Nice-Guy-from-Next-Door
Style:         Sunggyu (teamplayer)
My Points:  06 out of 10 points (average)

Sunggyu always picked a good teampartner (usually Sangmin but also Jinho) at the beginning of an episode. His entire gameplay for that episode was based on that alliance. The same goes for Junghoon. He looks for a good teampartner (first Dongmin, now Yoohyun ?) and then tries to be a good teamplayer. Still, just like Sunggyu, when he feels that his team is about to loose, he is also capable of switching teams. Sangmin had to try hard to win over Sunggyu in every episode. Dongmins alliance has collapsed and Junghoon waited for the right moment to switch teams. Now once again, he is part of the team with the most players. Its not really a great skill, but you can survive with that tactic. There is still a possiblity that Junghoon survives for many more episodes. There is some potential.

E. THE WEAK PLAYERS

06. Yeonseung
Nickname: Roly-Poly Toy (look it up, it fits perfectly)
Style:        Hongchul (loud, entertaining and no one cares)
My Points: 04 of 10 points (weak)

Its not easy for him because he is an outcast but he brought that on himself. He makes a lot of mistakes. No matter if you push him into DeathMatches, he survives with only average skill and some luck. Just like a Roly-Poly Toy. Its no secret that i find him annoying. Yes, he is entertaining but his bad decisions annoy me. Hongchul jokes made me laugh, Yeonseung jokes make me laugh too, but both of them are annoying when they play the games. I still give him a few points because even though i dont like him, he has some great moments. It doesnt happen often but for example the deathmatch in Ep3 and how he was able to stay focused and nice when he was targeted by all other players. I say there is NO CHANCE he wins S3.

07. AhYoung
Nickname: Miss Ooops
Style:        Yuri (Blind Trust)
My Points: 03 of 10 points (weak)

Oops is that our strategy ? *laugs* Oops did i survive the death match ? *laughs* She survives but she doesnt really know why or how. She knows she is not really good in the Genius so even in Ep1 she asks other players to think for her. If her ally tell her what to do, she offers blind trust. Now, you might think that this is a brilliant strategy to betray them but the truth is... she really blindly trusts ! Yes, for real ! she just stops thinking and trusts. Thats her strategy. Blind Trust. Yuri did the same in a few episodes of S1. Yuri just did it a little bit, AhYoung is going for blind trust with all her heart. Its kind of shocking that she still in the game. Well, at least she tries to participate and speaks every once in a while. Lets give her 3 points for that. I say there is NO CHANCE she wins S3.

08. Yeon Joo
Nickname: DeathMatch Fodder (inspired and created by m1deoyo, fits perfectly)
Style:        none
My Points: 01 of 10 points (disastrous)

How can she have so many garnets ? How is she still in the game ? Its almost half-time and she is still around ? YeonJoo is literally doing nothing. She is not even a help to her alliance. Think about it, Yoohyun wants her on his team in Ep4 because (quote) "she is incapable of betraying us". He is basically saying Yeon Joo is not even able to betray them even if she wanted !! She cries in Ep3 when she has to make a decision. Honestly, for her own good, she should have been eliminated up to Ep3. She better be eliminated in the next episode because if Yeon Joo is one of the last 4 players then i am going crazy. I give her 1 of 10 points because she shows up every episode and is physically present during the games. I say there is NO CHANCE she wins S3.

F. Sangmin and Jinho
I am huge fan of both of them but i dont think S3 needs them. S3 players are all very interesting. Everything is going smoothly. The episodes are exciting. I am worried that the guest-appearance of Sangmin and Jinho might throw the whole S3 group off-balance and cause trouble. Still, if i have to bet.... i say Hyunmin beats Jinho in gameplay. Dongmin beats Sangmin in leading a group. Still, S3 Players dont need this starpower. Its awesome as it is. Sure, i am also excited that we see them as guests. But maybe Sangmin & Jinho will bring back critics and problems that we saw in S1 and S2. S3 is doing so well. Hmmmm.... is this really neccessary ? oh well. i am curious what will happen if they clash with S3 players. i admit it.

Thank You for reading the Snowdjinn Report
See You next week :-)

Archived