[Reality Show] The Genius 더지니어스 Season 3 - TVN (Season concluded 17th Dec 2014)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ep6 spoiler (after watching Chinese subs):

The initial plan looked to be Hyunmin becoming first, but they changed plan later and let Dongmin come in first instead to throw the rest off Hyunmin's scent. The rest wanted to share information so that they could benefit too, but they did not know Hyunmin and Dongmin had already cooperated before that so they were the only two who had the whole set of information. It also helped that both Dongmin and Hyunmin knew well how to manipulate the timing and sequence to buy low and sell high, whereas the rest didn't make use of their own time optimally.

Yoohyun wanted to take Hyunmin on because he was sick of being the second fiddle, but this time again he failed to do so. Yoohyun had tried to pull Dongmin into his alliance earlier, not knowing that Dongmin already found a more capable ally in Hyunmin. Yoohyun changing mind after the 1st round reinforced that Dongmin was right to stick with Hyunmin. Jongbeom had also started losing faith in Yoohyun, which explained why he helped Hyunmin later, partly for the bonus clues to get information for himself too when Yoohyun was absent. Yeonjoo also looked peeved when Yoohyun 'volunteered' both Ahyoung's and her garnets to bid for the bonus clues but did not contribute his own until much later. The main problem with Yoohyun would be that he was not bad in forging alliance, but not as good in protecting his alliance esp when his own interest was at stake. This contrasted with Dongmin in the previous episode that he protected his team by sacrificing himself with Ahyoung and Sujin choosing 49 pts and him 50 pts (he would have to give the rest his points if Hyunmin betrayed him), even though they were not in the same 'team' in the proper sense, since they were only teamed up to mine.

I am bewildered why Junghoon kept quiet even though he was at such losing end. Everyone already thought Ahyoung was going to be last, so he getting last place had many people shocked. He staked too much on a single company without having the full set of information on it which caused his huge losses (he obviously did not know much about investment which advocated diversification), but he should have asked for help much earlier. Ego in the way? Or just too introverted to consult the rest? He didn't choose Yeonjoo because she cleverly (finally!) used the garnets as a 'reverse threat', i.e. if anyone chooses her to go to DM, she will not pass her garnets to others - so if she gets eliminated, her garnets will be forfeited and the eventual pot will shrink. Jongbeom explained as much later that given the change in rules this season, Yeonjoo's way was one good strategy to lessen the possibility of being targeted for DM since everyone was loathe to have a smaller pot to play with.

Dongmin is still my man, having showed a combination of quick wit, variety sense, powerful aura, and astute strategising. Hyunmin is excellent as well, as he had consistently performed well since the season started. Hope their wish of going into the final together come true.

Guest clumsycaked

Thoughts on Ep 6

As expected, the Dong-Hyun alliance is strong. Yoohyun probably realises that Dongmin can be a strong ally so he kept trying to partner with him, but too bad Hyunmin is quicker than him several times.

The MM wasn't too boring to watch but not too exciting to talk about since it was the usual pattern: Strong players understanding the game, weaker ones trying to stay afloat.

The DM was quite interesting, since I had been keen on seeing Jeongbum utilise his psychological knowledge. Bring on the mental battles, and the psychology and reverse psychology and the reversal! Unfortunately for Junghoon, he got cornered by Jeongbum.

Next episode should be worth watching, now they are (finally) banding together to target the 2. They should take a leaf from S2's book, the strong gets stronger so you have to unite together ASAP or it will get harder :)) But Dong-Hyun will be smart enough to realise that people will try to send them to DM, so I wonder how they will counter that.

I feel like The Genius is a show that are for people that are good at group games, and not so much about the rest of their intelligence/abilities (although you have to be smart to win). For example, the 2 actors and Ahyoung, they are probably clever in other aspects but gets drowned in MM since their abilities do not match the game. Or in the S1 final's Gyul Hap game, the Seoul Uni girl was great at it while Kim Gura seemed totally lost (which was the opposite in MM).
In short, the producers should either choose people who are good at games, or vary the game genre a little (not sure how they can do that though).

@alzalya

I know, it's puzzling why they don't try to stop Dongmin and Hyunmin when the viewer is watching

:D But since the 2 of them did the grand act of acting like they are sworn enemies at the beginning, I suppose the others thought they will not be working with each other again. The editing may cut out some parts where they reinforce the idea that they're not working together; Yeongseung and Jeongbum helped Hyunmin only and not Dongmin; by the second round it will make sense for them to go to Hyunmin since he had additional information.

@Jenny T

If I was Yeonjoo I would be slightly pissed too, since she cooperated (resulting in her not being able to trade info with anyone else), and now he wanted her to pay for the additional info

;)) Ahyoung tend to bid without seeming to know why she's really bidding lol, while Yoohyun was stuck in little-garnets rut for some time so I think he was quite unwilling to part with his (not a good move on his part though). Personally I wouldn't pay that much for the information though, since you can make money based on the later stock markets, and the stocks for each company is limited so you may not be able to use that info effectively.

Yeonjoo is not bad at using these type of small details to protect herself. If she survives to later episodes where there should be more individual play, it will be interesting to see what she does.

@clumsycaked I don't think it's right to say that the Genius neglect a lot of these people's abilities/intelligence by having the main match (aka group game). The main match has always been individual game playing in the setting of a large group. At all times, you are always alone regardless of your alliance or whatever else. Not to say that the main match in the Genius has always given the players a lot of space to wiggle/utilize different sets of skills. Talking about individual abilities then that's why there are both main match and death match. If ones are good at individual game then when you are pushed to the edge you have higher chance to survive. But you can't always play head to head fairly in life!?. Life is about surviving and succeeding in a society. There are always people who betray or ally or have more money than others. That is why Dohee  in season 2 was so miserable. It is not like he is not intelligent.  From the way he played you can tell and it is real that he is also miserable in his own real life even though he was by no doubts is the genius programmer in his university ( but he even got kicked out of the company he made himself). I think the Genius taught the players a lot of skills that they are lacking. The 2 actors and Ahyoung are certainly lacking in many respects so that put them into the situation they are in now. Even though they might have a certain edges but  if they can't put that to use by being creative/ or those edges are not enough to make up for their lackings then we can't really blame the game. 

Guest snowdjinn

If you reply to my post then please just write @snowdjinn and not the quote function. (my text is long and spoiler function can be a problem) Thank You !

EPISODE 6 :
- includes Main Match Analysis
- includes Death Match Pick
- includes Death Match Analysis
- includes "What about Black Garnets?"
- includes current Black Garnet Count
- includes Player Performances
spoilers !! *Click "Show" to view*

A. Main Match
The Trade Game is determined by the following factors:
A.) Trade your Information well so you gain as much Information as possible
B.) Have the right timing to sell/buy shares (very difficult because of the queue)
C.) Invest your money as much as possible. If you dont hold shares, the strong players buy them (limited!) and you are helpless.
D.) good mathematical skills and management skills to calculate the best time to buy / sell shares. (lets not forget that!)

I must say i applaud Hyunmin for his great strategy to pay other players to help him with the timing. That in itself is such a great strategy that it justifies the victory of the Dongmin-Hyunmin alliance.

B. Death Match Pick
I understand that YeonJoo kept her garnets to not be picked. Nevertheless, if i were the death match candidate i would care less and just pick her !! she is the weakest player !! i can survive til next round, i get a nice black garnet and i am sure there will be more opportunities to gain garnets in future episodes. I am really a bit annoyed with YeonJoo surviving every week without doing much.

C. Death Match
Its the 2 player that i labeled Dark Horses and they play the Paper-Scissors-Rock game. WOW, Jongbum shows his skills !!  Impressive how he gained the upper hand using his knowledge of human psychology. I like how he tries to anticipate the moves of his opponent, how he takes a risk and trust in his abilities to read people. The better player survived. Maybe it would have been smarter to pick YeonJoo ?

D. What about Black Garnets
?
okay, i find this really strange. In ep4 they couldnt wait to try a black mission and everyone sacrificed the hard-earned garnets to give 1 player the chance to play a black mission. NOW, we have 6 black garnets in play but NO ONE is even thinking of using them. So does that mean the players finally agreed that every player has to collect 3 black garnets himself to use them ? Maybe the editor cuts out all the black garnet negotiations when there is no black mission ?  I expect a black mission in Episode 7.

E. Black Garnet Count after Ep6: (The Genius gave 11 black garnets, 7 of them are still in play )
Hyunmin -    2 black garnets
Yeonseung - 2 black garnets
Yoohyun     - 1 black garnet
AhYoung    - 1 black garnet
Jongbum    - 1 black garnet
Dongmin      - none
YeonJoo      - none

F. PLAYER PERFORMANCES

Hyunmin & Dongmin: the two most active and most powerful players have joined forces !! Both seem to enjoy it a lot and are quite happy with it ! If they are smart they keep this alliance for at least 2-3 more episodes. If they keep this alliance alive, they can hope for 2 immunity token every Main Match. Then both of them are protected from the deathmatch every episode. I think they made a good decision and its really impressive how they kept this alliance secret as long as possible. This way the other players shared their information with them. If the other players knew of this alliance then some of them would have never shared their info. So it was really important to make a secret alliance. If i had to pick 2 players who truly understand how to win the Genius Show, then its Hyunmin & Dongmin.

YooHyun. I said it before, and i say it again: he is not a fair game player type (like Jinho) he is an all-rounder (like Jiwon). We see this again in Ep6. He is using all kind of strategies: good gameplay but also trying to persuade other players to give false information to Hyunmin. (Jinho would have never done that !)  He asks his allies to buy the hint with 12 garnets but he refuses to pay for it. Thats not nice ! YooHyuns biggest task is now to break up the Hyunmin/Dongmin alliance. For that, he will need the help of other players. Unfortunately, he lost Jongbum a little. Jongbum is not that certain about YooHyun anymore and moves a bit away from him.  Also, i think its important that YooHyun realizes that Dongmin & Hyunmin are his enemies and that they will not ally with him. He keeps trying to make an alliance with Dongmin every episode but he should know that they only want him out of the show. YooHyun better realize that and gather player against the Alliance.

Jongbum: He showed his skills in the Deathmatch. He even took risks and had confidence in his ability to predict the actions of his opponent.  Dont underestimate this guy ! He is really good. Also, he seems to notice that YooHyun is a bit of a demanding ally ! He looked quite unhappy with YooHyuns suggestions (lie to Hyunmin, dont share your info) Instead, he tried hard to become Hyunmins ally ! I am really curious if he will join YooHyun in the next episode or if he will try to join Dongmin/Hyunmin alliance or if he stays neutral !

Yeonseung: Surprisingly, he is doing a better job now. He gained another black garnet so he has 2 of them. Dongmin is his sworn enemy so Yeonseung would be a perfect ally for YooHyun. He should (as quickly as possible) become a loyal ally of Yoohyun. If he does that, he would finally lose his Outcast image and gain allies. Maybe ally with YooHyun & Jongbum ? 3-men alliance ?

AhYoung: UPPPS... Dongmin left her. Dongmin knows that AhYoung is like a pet. She will come back and help him whenever he wants. He just has to snip his fingers and she will run back to him. AhYoung just wants someone to help her and she is always ready to do anything that person wants. AhYoung is just too trusting and too submissive. She should concentrate more on playing the games. I have no hope for her. I think she will be eliminated soon.

YeonJoo: The player i dislike the most right now. She is doing nothing, she slips through somehow... she is driving me crazy. If this is a fair world, YeonJoo should be eliminated next. I find it stupid to not pick her just because of garnets. WTH if she doesnt share her garnets then they are lost anyway ! Think about it.. if she never shares her garnets and always keeps them.. then the other player can NEVER get them. Sooner or later they have to eliminate her. Then her garnets are gone anyway ! She is deathmatch fodder and an easy black garnet. I just know that i will really really enjoy the episode when she gets finally eliminated.

Thank You for reading the Snowdjinn Report
See You next week :-)

Guest clumsycaked

@gemy @snowdjinn
Never said that the show is not about survival of the fittest and networking, I agree with that. It's a game, so there will be people who excel at it and people who don't.
Quite a number of people feel that Ahyoung + actors are too sheep-like most of the time (there will always be people who dominate eg the current Dong-Hyun, or Sangmin/Gura, but it's a little frustrating to see them not able to get a counter strategy), so I thought that their capabilities do not match the game. By abilities I don't mean individual play vs group play, but linguistics, memory etc. For (a fake) example, Ahyoung could be very smart and have doctorates in different languages but still be weak in maths, Junghoon could have a superb memory but that may not help him win MMs. They can still be geniuses in their own way and still struggle with games (as I said earlier, I'm not too sure if they can have MMs that focus on other aspects eg. linguistics)

If the producers wanted a more strategy-filled show, me thinks they could get people who are better at these type of games and not just based on their intelligence (we can choose to disagree :)>- )

Guest snowdjinn

@clumsycaked
I understand what you mean. i am just not sure why you get frustrated over the fact that there are more powerful players and weaker players. There will always be a difference in power between players. Ahyoung and the Actors are just weaker in the games. Its also the choice of games, thats very true. But if you choose other games then maybe other players are weak and then you have the same problem. You will always have weak players and strong players.

Thank You for Your reply. :)

Guest clumsycaked

@snowdjinn
Not so much frustrated by the fact that there are stronger and weaker players, but that they currently tend to be lost in MMs and thus not be able to put up a fighting chance against the stronger ones (and get flak online). If they brought in people who understood games better, yep there will always be stronger and weaker ones, just my opinion that it might be interesting if those people have a slightly better chance of countering stronger ones. I don't mind Ahyoung + 2 actors, maybe it's the evil part of me that hopes to be entertained by a crazy battle of strategy and wits ;))

Thanks for replying! :D

Guest dramadilla

This is an awesome show! Can't believe i was actually missing out on it when it's exactly my type of show!!

Though it is too bad there aren't really any strong female players...I am just gonna keep cheering on Hyunmin or Dongmin i think kekeke...(YooHyun and JongBum ain't that bad either, just hope that one of the strong players win you know...and not that sum random weak player end up winning due to some luck struck or tooo careful playing and without no real skills you know...IF that is possible lol). This is the first season that i am watching!

Thanks for the links and spoilers btw! I don't know how to put on spoilers so i am just gonna end my post with hoping for a certain someone (who refused to accept Dongmin's offer for his nonsensical reasons) to leave on the next eps as well (evil laughter muhahaha).

Peace out :)

Guest m1deoyo

episode 7 
spoilers!

main match - constellation game

yeonjoo, yoohyun, yeonseung, ahyoung, jongbeom all teamed up against hyunmin and dongmin. since this is a majority-type of game, they are able to make yeonjoo win. hyunmin, dongmin, and yeonseung ended up having zero points. and yeonjoo, as the winner, picked hyunmin to go to the death match.

hyunmin picked jongbeom to play the death match but jongbeom used his teammates black garnets to do a black mission.

black mission - memory

he had to memorize twelve cards, which were then re-arranged. he failed on the fourth card.

death match - based on the dobutsu shogi that kitao madoka created (there's a wikipedia article for this if you guys are curious)

the alliance helped jongbeom practice. dongmin, who surprisingly is good at shogi, helped hyunmin. jongbeom chose to move first. hyunmin read jongbeom's moves and overwhelmingly won the game, it also helped that jongbeom seems to have gotten a little confused on the rules in regards to the 'rook' near the end of the game.

preview

with a death match experience under his belt, hyunmin seems to be even more decided to win this entire thing. and along with dongmin, planning to eliminate yoohyun (and yeonseung, for dongmin) as soon as possible.

thoughts!

yoohyun certainly felt the threat. and as king of the sheep, decided to take out hyunmin and dongmin. overall, smart planning. after all, they managed to get both hyunmin and dongmin to lose.

jongbeom's decision to outright fool and betray hyunmin, though, is what pushed hyunmin to pick him as a death match opponent. although his inability to win the black mission, robbed the alliance of the chance to pick dongmin as hyunmin's opponent. ha.

in the death match, jongbum (and by extension, the alliance) made a huge mistake. although it might come from them being unfamiliar with the game, choosing to go first is actually a proven disadvantage in this type of shogi. (with how small the game is, shogi masters have already found out all possible moves and strategies in this game, and have proven that going first is a disadvantage.)

i got a little scared of, not for, hyunmin though. the way his eyes suddenly changed from when he realized he lost the main match, to when he was actually playing the death match... it's like a switch turned on inside him. i'm excited now to see him try to prove himself even more.

Episode 7 spoiler

Wow! Episode 7 really throws me on a roller coster ride. It's nerve-wracking having to watch your fave player betrayed and targeted by his own strategy.

The MM is Constellation game. They have to complete making constellation in order to get points. There are 4 constellation, 3 star (2 points), 4 star (3 points), 5 star (5 points) & 6 star (7 points). In each round the dealer would pick 7 stars from the pocket. The round then played with those 7 cars + 1 bomb star. If anyone gets 3 bomb stars they become the DM candidate and the game is ended otherwise the game is ended after everyone get a turn as the first player. Every player is given 1~5 card to represent how much star they'll get. At each round they have to decide which card to use. After everyone choose their card & the cards are open, they get to choose which stars they get starting from the player with no 1 card to no 5 card. If two or more player pick the same card then their turn will be passed (they won't get the star).

At first, it looks like they have no ways to make sure a win and everyone was contemplating on what to do with the MM. Then as usual, HyunMin came up with making the loser strategy and confided it with JongBum (I think JongBum is the player that HyunMin respect & want to work with after DongMin). The plan was 5 players working together making sure the other 2 won't get any star. Another great strategy from the master mind, but unfortunately it backfire on him. His mistake was that he disclosed the plan before he could even secured an alliance. I think HyunMin kinda let his guard down on this episode. He gets to exited with his plan that he tells it to JongBum, the player that he thought he could trust. Well, so much for trust, JongBum decided to use HyunMin's plan against him. So now the MM has become everyone else Vs HyunMin-DongMin (What a nice way to turn the table, PDs).

What I like about HyunMin-DongMin is that they're really fast to catch on. After the first round they knew all about the plan against them. Then comes the part where I think DongMin was a genius at, which is intimidating people. The only thing that these two could do was to shake the 5 player alliance. The genius part was beside intimidating the 2 weak players (YeonJu & AhYoung) he also openly intimidate the whole alliance. He's just there circling them, stating the plan's weakness loudly (Oh, how I loved his loudness) while the strong players of the alliance tried to convince the weaker ones. The strong players of the alliance (JongBum & YooHyun) didn't have a choice but to help YeonJu & AhYoung in every round and that the immunity would be for them just to make sure they won't betrayed the alliance. This, in a way, was making both JongBum & YooHyun and even YeonSeung as the target for HyunMin-DongMin for the DM. In the end YeonJu won the MM & chose HyunMin as the DM candidate (HyunMin, DongMin & YeonSeung got 0 point).The immunity goes to AhYoung, making the other 3 players from the alliance available for HyunMin to pick as his opponent in DM.

HyunMin picked JongBum as his opponent in the DM & JongBum as planed choose to do the BM to make HyunMin & DongMin go against each other in DM. Yeah, we got to see the BM again. The choices have been cut down to 2, Memory or Math (because JungHoon had already picked Observation on ep 4, it's no longer a choice). All through out the MM everyone has been contemplating on which BM they'll choose if it went down to it since it was part of the plan. JongBum chose Memory. It's not a game they could use in the DM like Gyeol Hap, it was simply a memory test. They show him 12 card with name and number on it for 30 secs to memorise, then the cards are shuffled and lined downside. He had to guess the name on the card based on the number show on the back for all 12 cards in the lined order without a single mistake. This BM is a hard one unlike the Gyeol Hap. Unless you've got photographic memory, I think it's a rather impossible game. And JongBum failed the BM on the 4th card. He mistaken card no 2 for no 3.

The DM is new, it's some kind of chess game with 4 kinds of pawn for each player, played in a 3x4 block board. The game was quite intense, since both HyungMin & JongBum are pretty good in mind game. DongMin advise to HyunMin to take a long time in making every step finally took a toll on JongBum. He lost his concentration after a long close game for a bit and make a fatal suicide move. It's too bad JongBum has to go, because he just starting to show more of his potential as a contender. But on the other hand, his win on the DM has made HyunMin rather untouchable since he's now got 3 BG on his own.

Side Note:
- I was at loss when YeonJu mention about the ugly win. What is it that so ugly about your win? Your alliance decided HyunMin for you, all you have to do is just follow their plan. What's so hard about it? For me the real ugly win was in ep 1.
- I'm really annoyed by the women players. I think they'd go a long way in the game though, maybe even be the 3rd & 4th player. It's not because they play great games, but because they're the perfect bait for other player to catch their bigger opponents and gaining these 2 women trust would mean gaining their garnets in the end. What a sad reality.
- The road to HyunMin Vs DongMin final is getting clearer. I don't think the other player could do anything about this without the help from the PDs (In making more game that would make the 2 couldn't work together or making them at some kind of a disadvantage somehow).
- YooHyun is now the only player that could do something about HyunMin-DongMin but unfortunately he got nobody with him (Also  he kinda destroyed his credibility in the last ep MM). He's playing a lonely game from now on. He's pushed HyunMin away and tried to lined with DongMin but was a bit too late. His only chance is to break the trust between HyunMin-DongMin and make one of them change side towards him. But can he do it or is it already too late?

Guest mmuin96_e4cd

EP. 7 RAW is OUT! 
SPOILER for EP. 7

IMO, the 2 hours flashforward of Hyunmin was totally unnecessary and misleading. Since it didn't happen in MM, and Hyunmin was picked in DM, I immediately realized that his opponent in DM would be the one to be eliminated. Same thing happened in Season 1, which Kyungran crying footage was shown earlier when Min Soo left. The PD obviously would not use that kind of footage if Hyunmin was eliminated in this episode. And, for those who wanted Yeonjoo to get eliminated in every upcoming episode; just FORGET it, it AIN'T happen!

For the first time in the Genius, Hyunmin was getting very emotional and quiet from the start towards the end of MM. The MM game was perfectly designed to push one of the best two players straight into the DM. The game itself was cruel and Hyunmin knew that he would be the one to be in DM. Getting to be beaten by his own strategy, let's be real, it's not fun. While Dongmin continuously pressured the others of how he can't wait to face them in DM if he was chosen, Hyunmin looked so hopeless, and seemed like he had accepted his fate. However, his eyes were totally changed in DM. Best DM so far!

Guest titinio

a bit spoiler for EP 7 which i understand (have to wait for engsub for that :))

one thing i realized, when jongbeom did the BM, it only left 2 choice, math & memory. is that mean black mission can only be done 3 times for 1 season? then what about the rest of black garnet for if by chance the last BM used in the next ep?

@mmuin96_e4cd

wasn't hyunmin cried because he's betrayed and ousted by the rest? not because he won DM.
tbh i skip the 1 part and just watched the 2nd part of the ep since i was too impatient about who's going to DM lol but i happen to watch hyunmin crying scene. and that's what i take from that. on the 2nd part of the video,hyunmin was so down so he must have cried around that time, but didn't shown on screen.

this episode for me was so heart wrenching. its too cruel to ousting a young boy when he's the one who thought the strategy. he's too eager to share, and totally the type who start a fresh in new episode, didn't realize that other are planning to out him, so yes, its his naive sportsmanship that was to blame. he's so shocked that its really painful to look at tbh.

dongmin on the other hand, is an adult, just like yeonseung in middle race, even when they're targeted to be forced out, he can still be calm and cold headed. his intimidating strategy worked very fine, its so good to see how others are mentally influenced. thumbs up for him.

this, is the difference with hyunmin. he's young,so mentally isn't prepared to face the cruel world. adult can be very unforgiving if they want to. i can see his mental still need to be polished, and its by experience. if there's no dongmin that was still support him, i don't think he'll survived in the end no matter how smart he is.

this is also why i favored & admired hong jinho in S1. that man have very great mental fortitude, even when he's betrayed and cornered, he's still standing. but that also experience that come to talking..

the DM though, its pretty nice. i'm glad hyunmin stay, i hope for him to be better player & bit more careful.
i'm so waiting for him to go final with dongmin.

and PLEASEEE~!! CAN'T SOMEONE JUST PULLED YEONJOO OUT OF THE COMPETITION??
it's pretty irritating to see her in there when she's barely do anything useful. i need to see if she's qualified enough to be there, so i hope someone drag her to DM soon.

Archived