[Reality Show] The Genius 더지니어스 Season 3 - TVN (Season concluded 17th Dec 2014)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dc_talkz

snowdjinn said:
WOW, Episode 5 is awesome and super-exciting !!!!
i am sad that we only have 7 more episodes. Then the players will disappear... so sad. I hope they cast Hyunmin for CRIMESCENE.
Hyunmin, Dongmin or Yoohyun on CrimeScene would be AWESOME !! but thats off-topic ....sorry.

EPISODE 5 :
- includes Main Match and Deathmatch Analysis
- includes nicknames for all 8 players
- includes the style i think the 8 players play (compare them to S1+S2 players)
- includes "3 Most Powerful Players"
-
includes "2 Darkhorses"
-
includes "3 Weakest Players"
- my opinion on Sangmin & Jinho as guests
spoilers !! *Click "Show" to view*

A. Main Match
This was exciting ! Its a bit like the "bean game" from S1. There are teams BUT the best strategy is really to make a deal with someone from the other team and betray your own team IF you have the guts to do it. Of course, front-runners are Hyunmin, Dongmin and Yoohyun. In this episode i realized that there is a huge difference between these 3 players and all others. Hyunmin, Dongmin and Yoohyun are very active ! They do stuff. They make strategies. They pull the strings in every episode ! The other players do very little and try to survive with little effort. You can feel that very much, especially in Episode 5. I like how the Miner Game is also a bit of luck... because it seems to be really  hard to notice the difference in weight. we talk about 0.7 ! Most people will not feel this difference ! Remember, Dongmins teammembers tried to do it but even after Dongmin told them they couldnt feel the difference !! Hyunmin was also not sure and picked a whole bunch of stones just to make sure he catches 3 bombs. So yes, its obviously very hard to feel it. Really have to respect Dongmin who figured this out. Half the players formed an alliance to make Hyunmin the winner ! It worked but unfortunately the alliance was too big and one member couldnt be protected and was pushed into the deathmatch.

B. Death Match
I already had a bad impression of the Oriental Doctor but what was he thinking ??? the whole time he is the outcast that nobody cares about. Then, Dongmin reaches out his hand and offers the Oriental Doctor a deal. He offered Yeonseung 6 garnets (!) and to be part of his alliance. A great offer that can save him for at least another 2 episodes with a good garnet count. All he has to do is pick anyone except Sujin and then he can enjoy that he is no longer an outcast. And whats his answer ? He says NO and picks Sujin. Bad move, i think ! we have PROOF that Dongmin really helps his team members. He worked hard to try to save both his team members in this episode ! Anyway, death match... its Poker again. Sunjin has a LOT OF BAD LUCK and then she makes a very bad mistake and ..... sadly... because of that.... gets rightfully eliminated. I cannot believe the doctor survived another match. He is not even good at DeathMatches.

C. THE THREE MOST POWERFUL PLAYERS

01. HYUNMIN (Favorite to win S3)
Nickname: The Wizard (of Gameplay)
Style:        Jinho (Game Strategist)
My points: 10 out of 10 points (Perfect)

This cute kid is really the greatest Genius Player so far. Not only does he know the best strategy, he can also do multiple plans at the same time, he has backup plans, he is negotiating with everyone at the same time, he has goals he wants to achieve, he is superactive and its just fun to watch him do his magic. They can only eliminate him if they team-up against him. And even then, he probably just wins the Death-Match and survives.

02. Dongmin (Runner-up to win S3)
Nickname: The General (Leader of troops who cares for his soldiers)
Style:        Sangmin (Alliance, Plotting)
My points: 10 out of 10 points (perfect)

He has true leadership skill A lot of players allied with him in the past episodes. Just like Sangmin, Dongmin seems to have this Social Power that makes people ally with him. Dongmin is not so much like Gura... Gura didnt have that kind of game play skill and Gura never was able to create big alliances. In fact, Gura was an outcast starting in episode3. Thats right, rewatch S1. Gura only has teams in Ep1 and Ep2. Dongmin is much much better than Gura and probably even slightly better than Sangmin. He is a very loud teamleader but thats because he knows EXACTLY what to do. He lost his team so it will be very interesting to see if he can gain new allies and even create a new team. (Possible team would be Dongmin, AhYoung, Hyunmin, YeonJoo) He reminds me A LOT of Sangmin in S1.

03. Yoohyun (Runner-Up to win S3)
Nickname: Poker Prince (yes, he is goodlooking.)
Style:        EunJiwon (All-Rounder)   
My Points: 09 out of 10 points (almost perfect)

Just like EunjiWon, Yoohyun is good at everything. Both of them are pretty flawless and can play any kind of style anytime. From time to time, they miscalculate or underestimate an opponent or they are slower than other top players. That happened to Jiwon and it happened to Yoohyun. Nevertheless, they dont have any weaknesses and usually perform great. It will be very hard to eliminate YooHyun because i think he will be strong in Deathmatches.
And Yes.... good-looking... very charming.

D. The 2 DARK HORSES

04. Jongbum
Nickname: The Phantom
Style: Jonghyun (Defensive, Hidden Skills)
My Points: 07 out of 10 (good)

Seriously, Jongbum has SO MUCH potential. He is very smart, very quick and has good understanding of gameplay. He has some knowledge of psychology and seems to be able to use it to read people. Maybe he is a bit too defensive. He still tries to play it safe and move to the next round unnoticed. Its really difficult to say how powerful he really is. Since he understands games very quickly he is probably very dangerous in Deathmatches. He is the only player who also noticed that "something is wrong with the miner stones". In that aspect, he was even better than Yoohyun. Jongbum is still saving his energy and he might explode in the Solo Play that starts around episode 7 onwards. Right now, he is still a Phantom, a Mystery, hiding his skills. Because he is weak ? Or because he is very strong (like Jonghyun?) we will see in future episodes.
05. Junghoon
Nickname:  Nice-Guy-from-Next-Door
Style:         Sunggyu (teamplayer)
My Points:  06 out of 10 points (average)

Sunggyu always picked a good teampartner (usually Sangmin but also Jinho) at the beginning of an episode. His entire gameplay for that episode was based on that alliance. The same goes for Junghoon. He looks for a good teampartner (first Dongmin, now Yoohyun ?) and then tries to be a good teamplayer. Still, just like Sunggyu, when he feels that his team is about to loose, he is also capable of switching teams. Sangmin had to try hard to win over Sunggyu in every episode. Dongmins alliance has collapsed and Junghoon waited for the right moment to switch teams. Now once again, he is part of the team with the most players. Its not really a great skill, but you can survive with that tactic. There is still a possiblity that Junghoon survives for many more episodes. There is some potential.

E. THE WEAK PLAYERS

06. Yeonseung
Nickname: Roly-Poly Toy (look it up, it fits perfectly)
Style:        Hongchul (loud, entertaining and no one cares)
My Points: 04 of 10 points (weak)

Its not easy for him because he is an outcast but he brought that on himself. He makes a lot of mistakes. No matter if you push him into DeathMatches, he survives with only average skill and some luck. Just like a Roly-Poly Toy. Its no secret that i find him annoying. Yes, he is entertaining but his bad decisions annoy me. Hongchul jokes made me laugh, Yeonseung jokes make me laugh too, but both of them are annoying when they play the games. I still give him a few points because even though i dont like him, he has some great moments. It doesnt happen often but for example the deathmatch in Ep3 and how he was able to stay focused and nice when he was targeted by all other players. I say there is NO CHANCE he wins S3.

07. AhYoung
Nickname: Miss Ooops
Style:        Yuri (Blind Trust)
My Points: 03 of 10 points (weak)

Oops is that our strategy ? *laugs* Oops did i survive the death match ? *laughs* She survives but she doesnt really know why or how. She knows she is not really good in the Genius so even in Ep1 she asks other players to think for her. If her ally tell her what to do, she offers blind trust. Now, you might think that this is a brilliant strategy to betray them but the truth is... she really blindly trusts ! Yes, for real ! she just stops thinking and trusts. Thats her strategy. Blind Trust. Yuri did the same in a few episodes of S1. Yuri just did it a little bit, AhYoung is going for blind trust with all her heart. Its kind of shocking that she still in the game. Well, at least she tries to participate and speaks every once in a while. Lets give her 3 points for that. I say there is NO CHANCE she wins S3.

08. Yeon Joo
Nickname: DeathMatch Fodder (inspired and created by m1deoyo, fits perfectly)
Style:        none
My Points: 01 of 10 points (disastrous)

How can she have so many garnets ? How is she still in the game ? Its almost half-time and she is still around ? YeonJoo is literally doing nothing. She is not even a help to her alliance. Think about it, Yoohyun wants her on his team in Ep4 because (quote) "she is incapable of betraying us". He is basically saying Yeon Joo is not even able to betray them even if she wanted !! She cries in Ep3 when she has to make a decision. Honestly, for her own good, she should have been eliminated up to Ep3. She better be eliminated in the next episode because if Yeon Joo is one of the last 4 players then i am going crazy. I give her 1 of 10 points because she shows up every episode and is physically present during the games. I say there is NO CHANCE she wins S3.

F. Sangmin and Jinho
I am huge fan of both of them but i dont think S3 needs them. S3 players are all very interesting. Everything is going smoothly. The episodes are exciting. I am worried that the guest-appearance of Sangmin and Jinho might throw the whole S3 group off-balance and cause trouble. Still, if i have to bet.... i say Hyunmin beats Jinho in gameplay. Dongmin beats Sangmin in leading a group. Still, S3 Players dont need this starpower. Its awesome as it is. Sure, i am also excited that we see them as guests. But maybe Sangmin & Jinho will bring back critics and problems that we saw in S1 and S2. S3 is doing so well. Hmmmm.... is this really neccessary ? oh well. i am curious what will happen if they clash with S3 players. i admit it.

Thank You for reading the Snowdjinn Report
See You next week :-)

Guest snowdjinn

dc_talkz said: I agree with most of your comparisons of the current players with their predecessors except for Yoohyun being the equivalent of EunJiwon. EJ never did strike me as an intelligent player and to be honest I always felt that he is overrated (probably because of his Idol status). Yoohyun in my opinion is very much like Jinho - really smart, intelligent but kinda lacking in the socializing aspect of the game. Yoohyun always seek to play the game to it's fullest and isn't wary that he is often the target of other players due to his approach to the game. He tries really hard to form alliances or make big plays but because of being the standout he is often castaway (reminds me of Jinho in Ep 7 Season 1). Hyunmin on the other hand is a hybrid of both Jinho and Sangmin, possessing the intelligence of Jinho and the craftiness of Sangmin (plotting and scheming). 
I agree that Hyunmin is probably the better player at the moment but I'd still pick Jinho or Yoohyun over him because I absolutely love it when outcast geniuses make shocking plays that would leave everyone jaw dropping. Again, reference to Jinho in Ep 7 of Season 1. Plotting and scheming is a huge part of the game but not really my cup of tea when it comes to entertainment. Just my 2 cent.

Guest dc_talkz

snowdjinn said:
dc_talkz said: I agree with most of your comparisons of the current players with their predecessors except for Yoohyun being the equivalent of EunJiwon. EJ never did strike me as an intelligent player and to be honest I always felt that he is overrated (probably because of his Idol status). Yoohyun in my opinion is very much like Jinho - really smart, intelligent but kinda lacking in the socializing aspect of the game. Yoohyun always seek to play the game to it's fullest and isn't wary that he is often the target of other players due to his approach to the game. He tries really hard to form alliances or make big plays but because of being the standout he is often castaway (reminds me of Jinho in Ep 7 Season 1). Hyunmin on the other hand is a hybrid of both Jinho and Sangmin, possessing the intelligence of Jinho and the craftiness of Sangmin (plotting and scheming). 
I agree that Hyunmin is probably the better player at the moment but I'd still pick Jinho or Yoohyun over him because I absolutely love it when outcast geniuses make shocking plays that would leave everyone jaw dropping. Again, reference to Jinho in Ep 7 of Season 1. Plotting and scheming is a huge part of the game but not really my cup of tea when it comes to entertainment. Just my 2 cent.

Guest snowdjinn

Nick91 said:

I have to say that Yeonsung picking Sujin is the wisest move he have made so far in the whole season unless he wants the strong to keep getting stronger and pushing him closer to elimination. Its true that Dongmin offers him ally but who can guarantee that he will be safe under Dongmin ally since he cant even save one of his ally in this episode. Worst case he could be the scapegoat if things do not go their group way and he has to sacrifice one of them. Who would he chose to the deathmatch? Yoohyun whom he might not beat? Jongbum, Joonghyun or YeonJoo who are almost in the same shoe with him- without strong ally and has not posed potential threat to win this season. I would rather leave them in to improve my chances of winning if i were him. Just my opinion on strategy wise, he has made a 100% correct decision.

Does anyone know how old Oh Hyunmin is? He's been my favourite since episode 1 but it's driving me crazy not knowing how old he is when he's the youngest player :P

Guest m1deoyo

Totalt said: Does anyone know how old Oh Hyunmin is? He's been my favourite since episode 1 but it's driving me crazy not knowing how old he is when he's the youngest player :P

Guest snowdjinn

OKay so this page is totally ruined for me. HTML is totall messed up.
my earlier post(s) is empty, right ?
anyway, i can no longer see peoples profile on the left side. And the text is messsed up.
Seems to be only me who has this problem ?????

i post this again, maybe it is already posted in my earlier post and i just cannot see. i think its not posted yet ?

Black Garnet Count after Ep05 (correct me if i am wrong)

Hyunmin -   1 black garnet (victory ep5)

Yoohyun -   1 black garnet (2nd place race ep3)
Junghoon -  1 black garnet (DM ep4)
Yeonseung  1 black garnet (DM ep5)
AhYoung     1 black garnet (successful doubt MM ep4)
Dongmin - Nothing
Jongbum - Nothing
YeonJoo -  Nothing

3 black garnets used for black mission = AhYoung (DM ep1) + Sujin (10th place in race ep3) + Yeonseung (DM ep3)
1 black garnet gone because of elimination = lawyers black garnet (DM ep2)

That means they gave 9 black garnets so far, we still have 5 black garnets in play. hmmmm....

snowdjinn said: OKay so this page is totally ruined for me. HTML is totall messed up.
my earlier post(s) is empty, right ?
anyway, i can no longer see peoples profile on the left side. And the text is messsed up.
Seems to be only me who has this problem ?????

i post this again, maybe it is already posted in my earlier post and i just cannot see. i think its not posted yet ?

Black Garnet Count after Ep05 (correct me if i am wrong)

Hyunmin -   1 black garnet (victory ep5)

Yoohyun -   1 black garnet (2nd place race ep3)
Junghoon -  1 black garnet (DM ep4)
Yeonseung  1 black garnet (DM ep5)
AhYoung     1 black garnet (successful doubt MM ep4)
Dongmin - Nothing
Jongbum - Nothing
YeonJoo -  Nothing

3 black garnets used for black mission = AhYoung (DM ep1) + Sujin (10th place in race ep3) + Yeonseung (DM ep3)
1 black garnet gone because of elimination = lawyers black garnet (DM ep2)

That means they gave 9 black garnets so far, we still have 5 black garnets in play. hmmmm....

Guest m1deoyo

episode 6 spoilers!not gonna be as in-depth as last time tho.

main match-- stock game, wherein they get clues as to when the prices go up and down.

winner: dongmin (gave extra token to hyunmin)
loser: junghoon

death match-- that weird rock paper scissors game thing from a few episodes back.

winner: jongbeom
loser: junghoon

thoughts:

hyunmin and dongmin is a thing. and so far, they have a final two deal. but, we'll see. they're strong players with ego (hyunmin much less, acknowledging that he needs to compromise to win the entire thing).

yoohyun is definitely feeling annoyed with how he's getting outplayed every episode and is now targeting hyunmin.

the rest... they're still the same.

Episode 6 Spoiler!!

MM is a stock game with shares from 5 companies. Everyone started with 10,000 won and each share started at 2,000 won. The game has 2 round each lasted for 1 hour. Share changes were announce every 5 minutes. Before each round the player will get information on share changes 2 times (3 changes each) with 2 different player each (player 1 & 2 will get info 1, then player 2 & 3 will get info 2, and so on). When the game started players will get in line to go inside the trade room to buy or sell the shares, while the shares change according to the info given. The time they can spend inside the trade room is limited.

After 1 hour the 1st round is finished and the players will receive new info for the 2nd round. The difference with round 1 is that there's no free info for the 40th minute mark of the 2nd round. That info (not explicitly announce though) was auction using garnet with 1 black garnet as an entrance fee just before the 2nd round begins.

The strategy to win the MM is to get as many info as you can and combine it with timing management to get the best result. With their previous success, DongMin & HyunMin are teaming up again and they've managed to do it behind everyone else (I think the PD may had a hand in it though, by sending both of them to enter together before everyone else). They decided to share game info by hiding notes in secret places just after they'd entered then acted like they won't be partners on the game in front of everyone. Thanks to this set up, they don't even need to say anything to each other during the game.

Since both HyunMin & DongMin are good in persuading people, they each has managed to get almost all info. So with sharing their gathered info with each other they both managed to get all the info for the round. Also with the large number of their combine garnets and HyunMin's black garnet, they've manage to win the auction info for the 2nd round (with 13 garnets). As for getting the perfect timing, HyunMin managed to reel in YeonSeong and JongBum with shares info so they would help him to get a good timing.

It's no wonder that DongMin won with HyunMin trailing slightly behind on 2nd place with all the info and timing they have. What I'm wondering is why is everyone (except for YooHyun) helping these two to win? Ahyoung even pleaded to help HyunMin. Why can they see these 2 as someone they have to beat? Are the rest of them already given up on MM and just willingly go to the DM as their last resort? YooHyun is the only player that actively made strategy to block HyunMin. But I think he's not strong enough to brake HyunMin & DongMin alliance all by himself. He needs an alliance too, but unfortunately the only one available was YeonJoo, who's only capable in following strategy not making one. The others were so busy in saving their own a** that they couldn't see the big threat in front of them, which were HyunMin & DongMin alliance.

In the middle of all that, JungHoon somehow assured himself that knowing info for just 1 company is enough for the game. He didn't even bothered to ask for other company share info. I think he got to the DM because he was playing almost by himself with only one company share. The DM was rock-paper-scissor betting (like in ep. 2). I kinda wonders why he picked JongBum as his opponent though, instead of YeonJoo. Between both of them who hasn't help him in the past (with BG or DM coaching) YeonJoo is most likely the easier one to beat. YeonJoo strength so far was her ability to stay out of everyone else's way and be unnoticed. Is it because of the image thing again? If that's so, then it's his own fault to get eliminated. That said, I'm still annoyed that the 2 women still staying regardless how useless they've been so far.

Looking forward on YooHyun strategy against HyunMin & DongMin alliance. I ready to give up the rest of them because they're so hopeless against those 3. Wont be hoping for dark horse anymore from now on. I'll still watch it cause I'm rooting HyunMin.

Archived