[Reality Show] The Genius 더지니어스 Season 3 - TVN (Season concluded 17th Dec 2014)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest titinio

wouldn't it be funny though if the brainy players chop each other head off and left the free rider to the finals? this'll be the most laughable season of The Genius everrr lmao

Guest snowdjinn

Another very exciting episode !!

EPISODE 7
- Main Match & Death Match
- Black Missions
- Next Episodes will be interesting

spoilers !! *Click "Show" to view*

A. Main Match
The Main Match rules dont matter ! This is all about 5 players trying to unite to bring down the powerful Dongmin & Hyunmin. Its understandable and probably the best thing they can do. Since they steal Hyunmin's strategy, it leaves a foul taste in my mouth. On the other hand, its a great move to use the strategy of the Master of the Main Match against himself. I guess only Hyunmin himself can beat Hyunmin in the Main Match. LOL. Dongmin shows his great psychological and leader skills: he uses all kinds of smart moves to put pressure on the 5 person alliance. His main target are the sheeps. (AhYoung and YeonJoo) ! He is doing a great job and i just had to laugh when he was circling them and they played this "Shark Music". LOL. What a sight !!

The plan of the alliance fails when the DM candidate is unable to win the black mission. Hyunmin then squashes Jongbum in the DM. It seems Dongmin was also able to give some good advice to Hyunmin. So.. this powerful alliance Dongmin & Hyunmin wins in the end and moves to the next episode. Even 5 vs 2 was unable to stop them !! OMG ! So it looks like we will have Dongmin vs Hyunmin in the Finals.

B. Black Mission
I always said that i think very highly of Jongbum. I think he was a strong Genius player. The Black Mission was really really difficult. I also said that i would pick "Memory" as a Black Mission. I am not sure if i could have done this. The time is a bit too short to memorize the 12 words. Maybe if they give double the time, it would be possible but with that short time, i can understand that even a strong player like Jongbum failed.

I think Black Garnets & Black Missions have such a minor role in S3 that we can almost forget them. Now there is only "Math" left. So far, no Black Mission helped. It effected the players strategies but Black Garnets seem to be quite unimportant and meaningless.

C. Players
Hyunmin: Pretty tough episode for the Youngest. I am happy that he survived because i think it would have hurt him a lot to be eliminated like this. I think his tears for Jongbum are 100% sincere. In my Ep1 post i said that Hyunmin has 1 flaw: lack of life experience. This is why the Genius can be pretty hard for him. I am proud of Hyunmin and wish him all the best for the next episodes.
Dongmin: Well, once again he makes a name for himself. Even when you push him into a corner, he is a die-hard and fights with all his power against the odds. Dongmin reminds me so much of Sangmin and i like him more and more. He is smart and He understands what the Genius is about. I just hope he makes it to the Finals because he worked so hard in each episode. He deserves it.
Jongbum: i have nothing but respect for Jongbum. He was a great player, he stayed calm and polite even after he lost.  He seems a bit icecold but i think underneath all this coldness he is actually a nice guy. I hope he stays in contact with Hyunmin, even if its just to comfort Hyunmin a little bit. I think Jongbum never took anything personal and understood more than any other Genius player that this is "just" a game.
YooHyun: i said in my Ep6 post that i think he is a bad leader. Well, i think we can see that in Ep7 again !! Yoohyun is just this 98% guy. He is a great player but he just doesnt have the ability to work in a group. He misses 2%. He just thinks of himself and this might backfire in Ep8 onwards. His reputation is damaged. He better be good in deathmatches because i think in future episodes he will have to go there and fight for his survival.
Yeonseung: i dont like him but at least he survived 2 Death Matches. I guess i can accept it if he makes it to the Finals. Its great how he is the first player in the Genius who was able to keep smiling and keep a positive way of thinking when he was bullied by so many players. So i guess he is okay. I make my peace with Yeonseung. If he can work hard and make it to Finals, i am okay with this guy.
YeonYoo & AhYoung: In all my posts, i keep saying that i dislike YeonYoo the most. Its ridicolous to see her in the Final 6. She never did anything. The Strong Players decided to keep 2 sheeps. Both of them are absolutely clueless and i am starting to feel pity for them. They are used by the strong players at-will, like puppets ! I hope, even for their own sake, that they get eliminated soon. I am tired of watching the total mismatch between wolves and 2 sheeps. And i still say: there is no way that one of the 2 sheeps wins S3. For me, there are only 4 players left who can win the Genius.

D. Next Episodes will be Interesting
Now we have Dongmin & Hyunmin VS YooHyun & Yeonseung. On Top of that, we have 2 sheeps: AhYoung and YeonJoo. I believe that the sheeps realized their roles in Ep7. (Especially because of Dongmin). They must feel bitter, helpless and confused.It will be really interesting to see this 2 vs 2 that involves 2 weak sheeps that can be used as pawns to bring down the other side. Next episode might be just as exciting as Ep7 ! There are so many possiblities:
- one side gets the 2 sheeps and makes it 4 vs 2.
- the sheeps join different sides and make it 3 vs 3.
- Genius Show picks a Main Mission that only works with SoloPlay and we will lose a sheep.
- Maybe it even breaks down to SoloPlay and there are no more alliances ? (then goodbye, sheeps.)
Curious what will happen next week. :-)

Thank You for reading the Snowdjinn Report.

Wow, didn't know there was an english forum discussing this. Glad I found here, this show is really worth discussing.
I see that ep7 isn't subbed yet, (i'm native korean) so i should put these in spoilers, right...?
ep7

could've been the worst MM ever, game was something like ep3, you could choose two players to be just totally out of the game.
of course that two players became hyunmin and dongmin... poor hyunmin, he didn't realize that everyone was trying to get rid of him.
(he was totally like, of course everyone wants to team up with me! and then the MM happened...)
the strategy itself wasn't really a big deal, because I came up with the exact same thing within ten minutes after I saw the rules.
(they're released early in the morning before the show airs, so people who care can come up with their own strategy before the main episode)
the strategy was so simple and overpowering it made the whole MM super boring, dongmin's jaws act (circling other players) was the only thing to see.
BM was funny, jongbum was like "this is super easy for me" in the interview and he got the easiest thing wrong...
DM was good but it's too early to say anything about hyunmin's DM ability, he won mainly because jongbum was such a troll.
DM was something like a really small&simple chess, kind of disappointed because hyunmin missed a chance to checkmate.
well, he did checkmate four moves after that mistake...
loved hyunmin's facial expression tho, that little lopsided smirk killed my heart... the feels...
also loved it when hyunmin said "check" out loud, (you don't have to call check in this game) he was just trying to be funny but it led to jongbum's suicide move.

ep7 BTS1

Hyunmin tried to distinguish the cards by looking at the back of the cards, like he did in ep5 or jinho did in open pass.
He was so cute, he thought they might glow in the dark xD
in the end he didn't find how to do it and even if he did it would've been useless because of the strategy the five players used.
you can actually tell the cards apart by the cassiopeia constellation (one with five stars) in the middle.
the cards have different numbers of pointy stars in that constellation depending on their face value.
(the 1 card has one pointy star and four round dots in the constellation, 2 card has two pointy stars, etc)
So angry that the PDs actually thought this was something as important as the open pass card thing, because it was definitely not..
and the stars were so freaking small, you would be noticed if you tried to stick your face in front of everyone else's cards and tried to look at that tiny constellation...

Guest danniah

Tbh, I root for JDM and HM. I feel like watching 2 Hong JinHo in one show. I mean, I love those people who really use their brain for winning the game, not the people who tag along with other only to "survive" After watching 3 seasons of TG, I can see that this show filled by 3 group. Those who really clever, those who team up to take down the clever, and those who tag along only for she/he to survive that episode.

Guest m1deoyo

episode 8
spoilers!

hilarious start to the episode! ahyoung and dongmin enter, and dongmin is being his teasing self (telling ahyoung to walk in front of him so he can kick her down the stairs bc he's still upset about the betrayal from episode 7)-- albeit with underlying threats to make sure that ahyoung will not go against him and hyunmin this episode.

AAAAAND he tells hyunmin to do the same to yeonjoo once they get in. lmao, i love these two guys.

main match - invest and donate
(i'm loving the business themed games tbh, and this is the third one. so, you either invest or donate. most amount invested becomes a 'major stockholder' and least amount of donations gets 획득 (miser?)-- not too sure on the english for that tbh-- wins the main match if has the most amount of 'major stockholder' stickers. sped through the instructions, so if i made a mistake, sorry.)

dongmin (and hyunmin) throwing the gauntlet down. yoohyun is excited. let the games begin.

2min (dongmin and hyunmin) offer alliance to ahyoung and yeonjoo-- no benefits, except not being chosen for death match. hyunmin will be pushed to win, dongmin pushed to lose (he wants to try a death match and he felt bad because hyunmin cried last time when he went to the death match. omg, i love them.)

yoohyun gets to yeonjoo, offering to push her to win. ofc, she tells yoohyun the plan-- well, he caught her lie and she ended up spilling. (i foresee you leaving next episode, honey.) dongmin catches the two of them talking, and takes yeonjoo out of the room.

i'm not gonna write down their plans, so if you're reading this, you at least get to know something new from the episode. gameplay's half the fun, after all! i will write down results at the end of all the rounds tho.

yeonseung tries to eavesdrop but hyunmin sees his shadow against the door, stopping dongmin from speaking.

2min now has 5 garnets from ahyoung, and 10 garnets from yeonjoo as collateral of sorts.

yeonjoo still spills a part of the plan, once again, giving yoohyun a clue as to what 2min are planning. and now yoohyun is aiming to keep dongmin away from last place.

ahyoung slips. this clumsy girl, eh.

the girls get their garnets back from dongmin.

2min talk. hyunmin asks if he should let either girl use his 3 black garnets to try a black mission if they get picked. they decided no, they won't let them. neither the girls know, the boys are saving the black garnets for themselves in the future, to make sure they reach finals together. hyunmin feels bad, but his partnership with dongmin towards the final two has held longer and is more important. and to be fair, only math is left behind. i don't think, with the level of the past black missions, that the girls would've solved it.

yoohyun tries to make another offer for a black garnet. dongmin counters, asking for 10 garnets if yoohyun wants one black garnet.

ahyoung asks for black garnets if she gets picked, and dongmin tells her no. it's clear that she's hella upset about it.

yoohyun loses. hyunmin wins and gets two life tokens (one is given to dongmin) and a black garnet.

death match - memory maze

yoohyun vs ahyoung

basically, a checkered board. you have to get to your respective goal sign. so, you have to memorize the route towards the goal. if you take a step on a square that isn't part of your route, you have to restart. so you really have to memorize the good squares which you will figure out by chance. my explanation's awful, sorry.

yoohyun wins!
bye ahyoung.

sped through the goodbyes towards the preview so idk who got her garnets, she handed the bag to hyunmin prior to death match announcements tho.

next episode

they have guests! same game from episode three (middle game) but with guests! now i hope my faves don't get sunggyu'd-- then again they aren't confined, man i get annoyed at the woollim ceo just thinking about that episode.

maybe spoilers for the rest of the season. speculations about finale. don't read if you don't want. really.

aruki from onehallyu translated an interview. from when they've finished shooting the episodes, so people have made speculations from it.

some notable stuff:

hyunmin said that his strength was in lying to the other players. the others, particularly yeonseung, said it was only after the broadcasts aired that he found out that hyunmin lied. they all believed him.

yeonjoo said her strength was looking weak.

yoohyun said his strength was mind games.

if you look at aruki's post, the first spoiler is the players grading themselves after the genius. because of how they graded themselves, people are speculating that the final two ends up to be yoohyun vs hyunmin-- with maybe hyunmin winning.

i only just now able to watch ep 7 and noooooo~

MY FEELS~~~ i feel complicated watching this..

a not so mainstream opinion..

personally i cheer yoohyun to be winner and a little bit annoyed when hyunmin and dongmin make alliance because it's really obvious they have so much more possibility to win every game while others just be minor in the game. even yoohyun and jongbum that use their brain to work on games will collapse in front of hyunmin-dongmin alliance.

and then there's ep 7 mm which is very obvious that the best strategy is to rule out two person. i suspect the pd's intentionally make this game to break hyunmin-dongmin which happened.. honestly at first i was relieved that domination hyunmin-dongmin alliance will come to an end with this game because i like it more when they play separately, more exciting.

i don't really care about the two girls remained and yeonseung (? did i spell it right) because i believe eventually the strong will remained and the weak will be easily cut off when they're just not use anymore.

i hope individual game come sooner!!

m1deoyo said: episode 8
spoilers!

next episode

they have guests! same game from episode three (middle game) but with guests! now i hope my faves don't get sunggyu'd-- then again they aren't confined, man i get annoyed at the woollim ceo just thinking about that episode.

maybe spoilers for the rest of the season. speculations about finale. don't read if you don't want. really.

aruki from onehallyu translated an interview. from when they've finished shooting the episodes, so people have made speculations from it.

some notable stuff:

hyunmin said that his strength was in lying to the other players. the others, particularly yeonseung, said it was only after the broadcasts aired that he found out that hyunmin lied. they all believed him.

yeonjoo said her strength was looking weak.

yoohyun said his strength was mind games.

if you look at aruki's post, the first spoiler is the players grading themselves after the genius. because of how they graded themselves, people are speculating that the final two ends up to be yoohyun vs hyunmin-- with maybe hyunmin winning.

Sorry I haven't been consistent...been busy with exams~
remaining players stuff...has some spoilers?(something went wrong here as well...)T.T....

My thoughts on players: Only 6 players left! It feels so fast. But I'm not really sad to see any of the previous players go.  SAD that the black mission wasn't used to it's full potential though...  I'm personally more biased to YH, though there are times in previous games I wish he had more 'play' in him & not be fooled by other people(aka DMin), he's someone with less social skills though there were a few times he could gain trust without giving much.   Then there is HM I can see why people would like him; he's smart, funny & nice to everybody BUT he plays the cute little brother card too well..(It's a really good game plan JUST not a style I enjoy much) he has the highest potential to win.  YS was the 1 player that changed the most throughout the show. I just saw him as being really really weak in the beginning, But after his DM with Lawyer Kang I was REALLY impressed, even more so after his 2nd DM. I also like how he stood up to DMin in EP5 and earned my respect.  It's kind of obvious I don't like DMin. I just don't like the way he talks to people, especially women. I do understand it's all for show and all But it'd like he's the leader and everyone just has to follow HIS PLAN. So naturally I don't like anyone who's simply following him just to be safe. He's too overpowering over others and has no charisma like SangMin. He's like SM only more evil & not nice. I would hate it if he won. I wish he was out sooner so I could see other people shine.   AhYoung & YJ are just like pawn pieces waiting to face death. They show hardly any game potential. AY is treated harshly by Dmin & I hate how she just lets him. YJ saved YH by the slip of her tongue, though that may be what saved her from the DM. She would be the 'middle man' that everyone uses to pry info from the other side.   In short, Love YH. YS you have my respect. Hyunmin get out from under DMin's rule. Girls....time's running out pls stand up for yourself.[My thoughts on players: Only 6 players left! It feels so fast. But I'm not really sad to see any of the previous players go.  SAD that the black mission wasn't used to it's full potential though...  I'm personally more biased to YH, though there are times in previous games I wish he had more 'play' in him & not be fooled by other people(aka DMin), he's someone with less social skills though there were a few times he could gain trust without giving much.   Then there is HM I can see why people would like him; he's smart, funny & nice to everybody BUT he plays the cute little brother card too well..(It's a really good game plan JUST not a style I enjoy much) he has the highest potential to win.  YS was the 1 player that changed the most throughout the show. I just saw him as being really really weak in the beginning, But after his DM with Lawyer Kang I was REALLY impressed, even more so after his 2nd DM. I also like how he stood up to DMin in EP5 and earned my respect.  It's kind of obvious I don't like DMin. I just don't like the way he talks to people, especially women. I do understand it's all for show and all But it'd like he's the leader and everyone just has to follow HIS PLAN. So naturally I don't like anyone who's simply following him just to be safe. He's too overpowering over others and has no charisma like SangMin. I would hate it if he won. I wish he was out sooner so I could see other people shine.   AhYoung & YJ are just like pawn pieces waiting to face death. They show hardly any game potential. AY is treated harshly by Dmin & I hate how she just lets him. YJ saved YH by the slip of her tongue, though that may be what saved her from the DM. She would be the 'middle man' that everyone uses to pry info from the other side.   In short, Love YH. YS you have my respect. Hyunmin get out from under DMin's rule. Girls....time's running out.

....ep8 stuff......but something went wrong with the spoiler tag. sorry.It's a long rant of my personal views...to read just click&drag mouse over the darkened areas.... 

MM:Like all the new games they introduced this season. But there wasn't any Individualized games yet. I'm upset bout that. 
SharesORDonation
Rules:
Be a shareholder with the highest $$$in shares. If there are 2 people who have the highest share $$$, shareholder title goes to 2nd highest bid.
The person(s) with the least donated amount will bear the 'cheapskate'(aka FISH from here onwards) title. If the shareholder bids the lowest amount FISH title will go to player(s) with the 2nd least amount.
TOTAL of 9 rounds. Money & Title cannot be transferred.
The person(s) with the most number of FISH title becomes elimination candidate(s). & excluding the elimination candidate(s) the player with the highest number of shareholder title wins.

1st round YS could have won but he got scared and pulled out. Made silly moves...both players of the minority team. I would think if YH & YS won the 1st two rounds...things might have went another way...haih...

DMin's plan worked fine~ till the 5th round. YH figured out DMin's plan to do the DM or at least BM; since YH could become last place, he decided to spoil DMin's plan(yay!!). They tried to come to a compromise for YH to not get last place but neither like the deal very well so that was the end of that. It wasn't anywhere near a perfect game plan. Didn't like the way he would make everyone do things his way. Sad that no one can match his ferocity. He's like Gura from season 1 but players this season don't mind being lead by the nose I guess...

The girls before the start of the game already planned to side with DMin & HM....should have waited. Ugh....there was no reason to team up when you don't even know the game ==. & willingly give up garnets & no chance of betrayal. HELLO! it's the betrayal that makes it all exciting and refreshing. like I said: DMin just wants people to listen to him & be good little puppets. Poor way to play the game girls... & DMin didn't want to even give them a chance to use the BGarnets. AY gave hers to players who were in trouble before and this is the treatment she gets in return..sad for her..Ugly playing style DMin.

HM won as planned. But DMin was saved instead of one of the girls. Betrayal on their(HM&DMin) part. They gained nothing from joining that team.(you can tell that I don't like these two by now...and DMin more so than HM...)

YH got the most FISH titles and AY was chosen as his opponent(coz YJ at least helped them a bit - by slip of tongue) for the DM.

DM was Invisible Maze

each player gets to move 3 steps each turn. if you hit a 'wall' you'd have to go back to the starting point.
There was also a *2 chance card so you could move 6 steps in one turn but I don't think it was used....
It seems easy but since the wall can't be seen...It test your memory a lot as all the tiles look the same. Just a vast space with grey&white tiles.

AY lost her brains after a while. she kept getting everything wrong & couldn't rmb where she went in the turn b4. YH used her confused mind to good use and easily won the game. Not sad to see her go.

*I know I may sound like I'm blinded by hatred towards DMin....but I do see him as a very strong contestant. He's just not someone I want to see winning the game. But if he does, he played the game well, I will give him that - most games he had control over all the other 'chess pieces'. His victory to me would be just like the quote in the invitation card of the genius " a 'UGLY' victory".

Guest m1deoyo

m1deoyo

said:

He's 20. He graduated from Gwangju Science High School, and is currently in his second year of Mathematical Sciences in KAIST. He's also a goodwill ambassador for KAIST, and a member of the street dance club

Guest snowdjinn

EPISODE 8
- The Plan
- Main Match
- Death Match
- Final Thoughts

spoilers !! *Click "Show" to view*

A. The Plan
Dongmin comes up with a very good plan....
1. from the very beginning threaten & persuade the sheeps to make them join his alliance. 4 vs 2 is the key to win this episode.
2. make the sheeps absolutely loyal by taking 5 garnets from AhYoung and 10 garnets from YeonYoo.
3. Make his most important ally Hyunmin come first to build up even more trust between them AND so that his strongest ally can pick DM candidate. He knows he has influence on Hyunmin and this way he knows he can influence who gets picked in the end by giving "advice" to Hyunmin.
4. If anything goes wrong, sacrifice the sheeps. Thats why he didnt want to give them black garnets.
5. Also took the opportunity to negotiate with Yoohyun. This way he gets some insight in how good Yoohyun can negotiate.

B. Main Mission
After a few minutes its 4 vs 2. Dongmin persuades the girls to give him 15 garnets. That in itself is funny. The girls are the deciding factor. Dongmin & Hyunmin desperately need the majority of 4 players to get an easy win. If the girls were smart, they would realize that. There is no reason for them to beg Dongmin and hand him garnets. They can just threaten them to go to the YooHyuns team and make it 2 vs 4 against Dongmin. But... yes.... they are just helpless sheep... they have no plan.... they just want to join someone who tells them what to do.... its really sad to watch the girls being so naive and helpless 

I am not really sure if Dongmin really planned to be picked for DM. Maybe he just tried to make it look that way. Maybe his plan was all along to make Hyunmin the winner and then get the token of life and both are safe. Remember what Dongmin said to Hyunmin this episode:  "our plan is to go to finals. that means we have to eliminate the other four anyway. dont think about saving them. they are just people that get eliminated every round." With this speech, Dongmin has brilliantly planted the thought in Hyunmins head that it would be good to give the token of life to Dongmin. It could have been Dongmins plan all along. He got the help from the girls but he never planned to safe them. Why save them ? He said it with his own words : "the other 4 players are just there to be eliminated each episode so that Dongmin vs Hyunmin can take place in the finals." Then the girls will be eliminated anyway.

C. Death Match
THE most important basic-skill of a pokerplayer who plays for real money is psychological tricks. You can just see how much Yoohyun enjoyed confusing AhYoung. Its the same joy i know from most online pro-poker players when we played for real money. They just love messing with weaker players mind. Anyway, even without psychological tricks, YooHyun could have won this DM with his eyes closed. The first sheep gets eliminated. Since she only did what she was told all 8 episodes, she can be happy she made it this far.

D. Final Thoughts
Hyunmin: Our cute Main Match wizard sits back and just takes an easy win. He probably knows himself that Dongmin is important for him and that the sheeps will only cause trouble as allies, so he did the right thing and saved Dongmin.
Dongmin: Super-Strategy. I am surprised he gave them back the 15 garnets. He could have just kept them but i guess that would make him look like a very bad person on TV. So maybe to save his reputation he gave the garnets back. I dont believe him when he says "its a total defeat" in the end. I think Dongmin was happy deep inside. Dongmin said it himself in this episode. He just wants to get to the Finals with Hyunmin. The others are just there to be eliminated every episode. So why would he think that this ending is a defeat ? I dont believe one word, Dongmin, you sly fox.
YooHyun: For the first time we see Yoohyun shine ! He is strong in the Main Match. He is also strong in the Death Match. Very good performance. Also, he resists the temptation of making a risky deal with Dongmin. Wise decision.
Yeonseung: He just tries to survive in this episode. He made some good attempts to win over the girls. Nice performance.
YeonYoo: She seriously gave 10 of her 11 garnets to Dongmin,OMG ! To Dongmin.... a person she teamed-up against in the last episode. A player who said that he would get revenge. She is such a weak player. She might be the weakest player ever in Genius history.
Upcoming Episode 9: Guests ! That means if YeonYoo brings a good guest she might survive thanks to him. Nooo ! I dont like that ! I really hope she gets eliminated next. I liked Middle Race very much so i am looking forward to a more SOLO PLAY game of middle race. But if you watch the preview, it looks like Dongmin & Hyunmin VS YooHyun & Yeonseung & YeonYoo. OH WELL.. we will see.
Upcoming Episode 10: i think when there are 4 players we will see the guest appearance of Sangmin & Jinho. This way there would be a 3 vs 3 battle. Both of them get 2 members on their team. They have to make their guest-appearance in Ep10 or Ep11.

Thank You for reading the Snowdjinn Report.

Guest sansothyvong

I really hope Yeonjoo eliminate in next episode so we can enjoy the exciting thrill match of the 4 Main BrainDongmin: Quick wits,Hyunmin: Strong at strategiesYoohyun: Strong psychologic and tactic.Yeonseung: well, we all know how strong he is when he switch to serious mode.
Feel sorry about this but :Yeonjoo => last sheep to sacrifice. 

Archived