[Drama 2014] Surplus Princess (The Mermaid) 잉여공주

marykarmelina

Guest zaczek

I, for one did not enjoy the drama as much as I thought I would. It reminded me of MHIYD, great concept but poor execution. So much unrealized potential.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this is just because I'm on the bus scrolling down the screencaps and I still couldn't watch the real thing, but as for now, I think this ending it's not against SK or HM's shippers, but against sanity. tvN, I trusted you, what is this?

So, in this final ep we technically have:

- Hani started to realize she also had feelings for HM

- Hyun Myung knew about why Hani had to stick with SK then decided to help her meet with her SK-ssi, while he fell more and more for her.

- Jin Ah knew about Hani's secret and planed to bust her out in front of everyone, that led to Hyun Myung ended up injuring himself when protecting Hani.

- Shi Kyung and Hani started dating officially but he realized Hani's heart was not with him anymore then decided to let her go. (I need to rewatch to be sure about what he said, but I think he said that he just had the bad timing, that he was just not the one for her)

- HM and Hani happily spent her remain days together, then she disappeared

- One year later, JA and SK were going to New York together for a project, HM was back to painting and still longed for Han. Then Hani was back.

- And the others' side stories in which the most memorable is Big-Hyeyoung's one.

EVERYTHING JUST IN FREAKING ONE EPISODE :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

I swear any writer from 50+ K-dramas might have made just the same stuffs into over 20 episodes :))

I honestly was not at any of two guys' side, but I was pretty sure HM was the male lead thus I thought he would be the one for Hani. But I DO NOT get this kind of ending :((

Give me~ give me~ give me~ an explaination~~~ :-\"

Luna said: So, in this final ep we technically have:

- Hyun Myung knew about why Hani had to stick with SK then decided to help her meet with her SK-ssi.

- Hyun Myung fell more and more for Hani, ended up injuring himself when protecting her.

- Shi Kyung and Hani started dating officially but he realized Hani's heart was not with him anymore then decided to let her go. (I need to rewatch to be sure about what he said, but I think he said that he just had the bad timing, that he was just not the one for her)

- One year later, JA and SK were going to New York together for a project, HM was back to painting and still longed for Han. Then Hani was back.

- And the others' side stories in which the most memorable is Big-Hyeyoung's one.

EVERYTHING JUST IN FREAKING ONE EPISODE :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

I swear any writer from 50+ K-dramas might have made just the same stuffs into over 20 episodes :))

I honestly was not at any of two guys' side, but I was pretty sure HM was the male lead thus I thought he would be the one for Hani. But I DO NOT get this kind of ending :((

sc_12c8b0ed95055cea92622993793eb685

said:

Luna

said: So, in this

final ep

we technically have:

- Hyun Myung knew about why Hani had to stick with SK then decided to help her meet with her SK-ssi.

- Hyun Myung fell more and more for Hani, ended up injuring himself when protecting her.

- Shi Kyung and Hani started dating officially but he realized Hani's heart was not with him anymore then decided to let her go.

(I need to rewatch to be sure about what he said, but I think he said that he just had the bad timing, that he was just not the one for her)

EVERYTHING JUST IN FREAKING ONE EPISODE

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

I swear any writer from 50+ K-dramas might have made just the same stuffs into over 20 episodes

:)

)

I honestly was not at any of two guys' side, but I was pretty sure HM was the male lead thus I thought he would be the one for Hani. But I DO NOT get this kind of ending

:(

(

briseis said:

sc_12c8b0ed95055cea92622993793eb685

said:

Luna

said: So, in this

final ep

we technically have:

- Shi Kyung and Hani started dating officially but he realized Hani's heart was not with him anymore then decided to let her go.

(I need to rewatch to be sure about what he said, but I think he said that he just had the bad timing, that he was just not the one for her)

EVERYTHING JUST IN FREAKING ONE EPISODE

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

I swear any writer from 50+ K-dramas might have made just the same stuffs into over 20 episodes

:)

)

I honestly was not at any of two guys' side, but I was pretty sure HM was the male lead thus I thought he would be the one for Hani. But I DO NOT get this kind of ending

:(

(

The television broadcast in South Korea was forced to end because of low ratings, but KDrama producers also do overseas marketing. Since this show was popular online in China, there may be negotiations underway for some type of web-only second season. I am only speculating, however.

thanks to @ohoheli for all those screencaps which basically confirmed what my guess was for this episode - one big rushed mess!

I guess until we get subs, I won't  understand why, if HM and HN both had feelings for each other, she still had to disappear???
And why then come back?

If you're going to do a fantasy, it's given it won't follow normal laws of nature BUT, it has to follow the rules that were set within its world setting.
So the rule was she won't disappear if she finds true love, we assume she did with HM, so why then did she still turn to sea foam? If it wasn't true love, then why and how did she come back???
If you're going to have her turn to foam, leave it at that.  If you're going to have her stay, then have her stay and leave all the last minute angst out! More time for the others' stories. Sometimes you can't and shouldn't have it both ways...

And I'm guessing JA turns over a new leaf and goes over to the good side all in the last 5 mins of the show?!!! Would have had more believability if they planted the seeds in the last 2-3 episodes instead, like I posted before.

What I know for sure is that all the screencaps with SJR killed me! Aww poor SK! My heart's broken into pieces for you. Amazing acting job for SJR with the little that the writers gave him to work with.
JBA was amazing as well, loved how she kept in character down to the wiggling of her feet and how she always sat with her legs pressed together like she still had a tail. She was a bit bratty without being annoying, hyper-emotive without over-acting. 
Never heard of her nor SJR before and now I'll probably keep an eye out for their future projects and check them out.

Last: please, no season 2. I don't think I can handle being jerked around again by the writers like they did in this season.

After all, I think this scene is the best =)) for HM-HN shippers :-*

"The road to home, still there’s a long way to goI have no umbrella, it seems like I’ll only catch a coldIf I have you on this road leading to that placeAlthough I’ll get wet, still it’s good"
so cuteeee, repeat again and again :)

I just......

regardless of hm and hn seemingly ending up together I can't help but be kind of sad that it had to be this rushed. I loved them together but I honestly wish that for the sake of consistency they realized their feelings earlier. either way I loved watching the drama every week and despite the abruptness of the ending I'm glad we got at least one kiss scene between hm and hn! not to mention that adorable montage of their relationship post getting together

i havent watched the last episode, but based on the screencaps posted there's gonna be a season two?? but i thought they couldnt evn get funding or ratings  for another 6 episodes, let alone a whole other season. If they were planned on a second season they just could've used that money OR W/E for another 6? Also i feel the whole HN/HM thing was so rushed and if there were 16 i probably would've shipped them, heck even if there were 14 like planned i would've shipped them. SHe was so in love with SK and he was starting to like her back and i could actually see their relationship working but the latter relationship was so rushed it was just like wait what? did that just happen? It's unfortunate that it got cut so drastically bc it was different and had a great cast too. The main plot of course was HN finding love, but underneath that it was about young adults making their way in the world and trying to find a job like everyone else. The little drawings included were really cute too bc not that many dramas include things like that. If the do it's  like the first couple of episodes and that's it/ Sigh, you have dissapointed me TvN 

Guest LadyAra

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "The Idle Mermaid" Episode 10

photo501700.jpg

The good news is that the drama ends about as well as expected given the circumstances. The bad news is...well, that's a pretty darning caveat on its own isn't it? There's nothing particularly awful about this episode, it's just that everything is very explicitly rushed. An entire romantic plotline is formed, developed, and resolved over the course of a single montage. Kind of the entire point of having a television romantic comedy is that we actually get to see this stuff unfold. [more]

Guest LadyAra

"The Idle Mermaid" Nam Joo-hyeok and Kim Seul-gi-I parody "The Heirs"

photo501666.jpg

Nam Joo-hyeok and Kim Seul-gi-I parodied "The Heirs".

In the final episode of the tvN drama "The Idle Mermaid", Ahn Hye-yeong (Kim Seul-gi-I) and Vick (Nam Joo-hyeok) exchanged their feelings for each other.

Vick asked Ahn Hye-yeong to respond to his confession. However, she was pressured by the fact that they were getting serious and said, "I like you as a younger brother. Let's go drink", but Vick got serious at this remark and responded, "Why am I your younger brother? Why are you drawing a line? If you're not careful I might step over it. I was being serious so I can't pretend like it never happened".

Ahn Hye-yeong ended up rejecting him. But she felt jealous when she heard he was going on a blind date. She went up to him and asked, "Do you like me?"

She then said, "Alright, let's date. But keep it a secret from the others". However, Vick said, "No, I've changed my mind" and turned around. When Ahn Hye-yeong stood there, speechless, he came back and said, "I was just playing hard to get. I have a girlfriend now".

"Do you love me?" is a line from the drama "The Heirs" that brought along a great deal of attention. The background music was also an OST from "The Heirs".

Meanwhile, "The Idle Mermaid" is the sad and happy story about a mermaid who lives a human life in Seoul. [more]

Daebak!... Awesome!... the end with ' I'll be back!' =  my wish is granted there'll be a season 2!... I think it's only me who wish to have a season 2!For me it's great that they will continue this with the same cast members.Because I really want to see them again.They showed SK still cherishing the scale upto the end means season 2 will give him a chance with HN.I just hope that the writers will do a better script and a story line this time at the same time maintain the wacky side of this drama. I wish for the drama the best to come!...I hope we'll get some news and updates.  :x

This is just my opinion....
Well, honestly I liked the ending.Why?

All the surplus had their dreams come true.
Big and Hye Young found love with each other and they seem to be a perfect couple
SunKyu already came out from his mysterious personality
Ahn Ma Nyeo and JH's CEO side story
Jin Ah went back to her original self (I know she's really a good person but because of too much peer pressure she was forced to be a bad one)
SK knew it was HN that saved him
SK showed unconditional love through setting HaNi free though he knows it would hurt him.
HM and HN's last days together are so cute and romantic.
Jin Ah and HM are back to being friends.
At the end it showed SK is still into HN because of still holding the scale that fell from HN's tail
SK still the good one by forgiving Jin Ah and entrusting her again.HM still into HaNi even after a year.Okay, as for the ending...this is my analysis.........((IT IS AN OPEN ENDING AND DON'T JUDGE ME BUT I'M REALLY CRAVING FOR SEASON 2))
The end showed that HaNi and HM kissed but she still disappeared... (means she didn't find true love)I guess it's because HN really loves HM but still got a bit of feelings for SK (we all dont know as I've said it was an open ending)
Why she came back though she already disappeared? Maybe because she was given another chance to know who her true love is and maybe the potion which she drank to have legs still has other agreements set upon it. Since HN is loved by 2 men whom she also comitted feelings with, she was given a chance and settle who her true love really is (which I really want to be all explained and showed on the 2nd season)
What I want to see on the 2nd season?
  • HM and SK's head to head battle on winning HN's heart but ofcourse in a very friendly way because I know these 2 men are both gentlemen.
  • Jin Ah showing her great side, be friends with HaNi too and who knows, be the lady to end with either HM or SK (the one that Hani will not end up with of course. With that thing it would be a great for a season 2 right)
  • And of course the continuation of Daebak and Hye Young's love story
But of course, if there'll be a season 2 I don't want it to be a rushed one but instead make it beautifully written and executed and please make it 2 episodes per week to encourage people of Korea to watch it. I guess the 1 ep per week is what made the ratings low.
IM ROOTING FOR SEASON TWO AND HOPING FOR IT (though im not giving too much expectations) BECAUSE OF THE LAST PHRASE "I'LL BE BACK"

Sorry for the long rant chingus hihihi 
:)>- :)>-

Archived