[Drama 2014] Surplus Princess (The Mermaid) 잉여공주

marykarmelina

I am really lost with the ending, and it seems almost impossible for a second season to come since WE all know this drama got cut due to low ratings and probably low funding. My take is the writer meant for HN and SK together in the epilogue, as we relate back to original mermaid, the mermaid likes the prince, and the prince is all along SK...we all know. But somehow this drama has to end soon, and HN only get to spent so little moments with SK that it can't be convincing for SK to be together with HN. Thus we hav the HN choosing HM thing. But still the mermaid story and first episode are link back to the Prince SK, therefore HN has to disappear at last. And for the ending, "I'll be back", the writer is trying to be funny like before, and remain positive about life. That's my view....... Anyway, I really like the Surplus princess, but if there a 2nd season, I may have to consider watching it, as I am little tat disappointed.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about somebody else before oneself is love. There's no better evidence of love than sacrifice. 
That's why HN disappeared, she needs to prove her love. The time and the distance prove her love, his love, everything. It's my opinion.
And for you guys who want to know the song in this ep, during the HM&HN's kiss scene :D a beautiful song :x
"Your back won't touch, now I can't reach
I will breath away, even short day, surge as the afterimage
Imagine our memories like crazy, I will waiting for you again
Our moment seemed will disappear, still holding on to me
If you fullfill once again, I won't let you goWe won't let go"

rottenxtears

said:

This is just my opinion....
Well, honestly I liked the ending.

Why?[list]

All the surplus had their dreams come true.
Big and Hye Young found love with each other and they seem to be a perfect couple
SunKyu already came out from his mysterious personality
Ahn Ma Nyeo and JH's CEO side story
Jin Ah went back to her original self (I know she's really a good person but because of too much peer pressure she was forced to be a bad one)
SK knew it was HN that saved him
SK showed unconditional love through setting HaNi free though he knows it would hurt him.
HM and HN's last days together are so cute and romantic.
Jin Ah and HM are back to being friends.
At the end it showed SK is still into HN because of still holding the scale that fell from HN's tail
SK still the good one by forgiving Jin Ah and entrusting her again.HM still into HaNi even after a year.Okay, as for the ending...this is my analysis.........((IT IS AN OPEN ENDING AND DON'T JUDGE ME BUT I'M REALLY CRAVING FOR SEASON 2))
The end showed that HaNi and HM kissed but she still disappeared... (means she didn't find true love)I guess it's because HN really loves HM but still got a bit of feelings for SK (we all dont know as I've said it was an open ending)
Why she came back though she already disappeared? Maybe because she was given another chance to know who her true love is and maybe the potion which she drank to have legs still has other agreements set upon it. Since HN is loved by 2 men whom she also comitted feelings with, she was given a chance and settle who her true love really is (which I really want to be all explained and showed on the 2nd season)
What I want to see on the 2nd season?
  • HM and SK's head to head battle on winning HN's heart but ofcourse in a very friendly way because I know these 2 men are both gentlemen.
  • Jin Ah showing her great side, be friends with HaNi too and who knows, be the lady to end with either HM or SK (the one that Hani will not end up with of course. With that thing it would be a great for a season 2 right)
  • And of course the continuation of Daebak and Hye Young's love story
But of course, if there'll be a season 2 I don't want it to be a rushed one but instead make it beautifully written and executed and please make it 2 episodes per week to encourage people of Korea to watch it. I guess the 1 ep per week is what made the ratings low.
IM ROOTING FOR SEASON TWO AND HOPING FOR IT (though im not giving too much expectations) BECAUSE OF THE LAST PHRASE "I'LL BE BACK"

Sorry for the long rant chingus hihihi 

:)

>-

:)

>-

Well, like Ahn Ma Nyeo said, love in the form of a sacrifice is true love. Don't forget that besides Hyun Myung saving Hani from the huge lights, Shi Kyung also did a sacrifice, by letting her go. So since she got two true loves, she received another chance to come back for round 2, ding ding ding! Think of it like a game, where she unexpectedly received an additional life.

Also, I was rather distracted by the PPL towards the end of the series. That was such an in-your-face thing, why didn't they get enough funding to last longer? Grrr.

I can't stop crying whenever Hani & HyunMyung was on screen... especially when she realized that he knew it already and tries to protect her all the time.. and when she disappeared at the river.. sooo sad T_T I hope there's a season 2 and recap the last episode like what had happened 1 year ago after she disappeared like in Hanayori. So we can see more HM&Hani scene, this time we'll see how they make their relationship even stronger.. Like what HY said, "Those who fall for each other while fighting can be tighter than lovers" .. this reminds me of Full House, Boys over flowers, Princess Hours and Smile You... I loved those drama..

I'm VERY certain that there will be a season two of Surplus Princess. The ending said, "I'll be back" = sequel. Also, though we may assume that HM and HN end up together, it was something that wasn't set in stone. For all we know, SK can win her back now that he saw her drop out of nowhere. Perhaps there may be leftover Jinah & HM relationship scraps? Just a thought. 
This is terrible of me, but I seriously started cracking up when HN dropped out of nowhere. It was so whacky. I hope I wasn't the only one who thought that...Still a little disappointed by the ending though. There were so many loose ends that were not tied. I'm seriously hoping for a season two, or at least one episode that explained what happened after HN left. (I mean, how did she disappear for a year and then come back? I'm still so confused.) 
Overall, I really liked the beginning. It was hilarious. But I was quite disappointed at the ending. If only TVN didn't cut down on the episodes...

I just finished watching ep 10. I feel sad because I'm sure gonna miss this very entertaining drama. It is simply nice to watch. I love to see their smiling faces. 10 episodes is too short. I was expecting for more. hope there will be part 2 for this one.

To all the staff and crew, actors and actresses, director and writer of this drama, a big thanks to all for making this drama truly wholesome to watch. More power to you all and God bless

I don't understand why ha ni disappear. If she was like that it means she didn't sincerely love?

i think she was was able to come back because si kyeong still have a piece of her. Anyway I hope there's second season.

Guys let's join in and work together! It really drives me crazy seeing this drama being cut down to 10 episodes. The day they announced it was actually on my birthday, which made it even worst! How can a drama as good as this be cut down? Honestly I even wanted an extension! Truthfully the person I rooted for with Hani was Chef Shikyung. Maybe that is why I’m so mad right now. It’s my first time since Dream High where the couple I liked did not end up together. What to do? The ending did not even help because Hani disappeared after her kiss with Hyunmyung.. was he really her true love? Or did she still had remaining feelings of Shikyung so she disappeared because her true love was not 100% Hyun Myung? Witch Ahn said love was sacrificing for someone. Well didn’t Shi Kyung also sacrificed himself by letting Ha Ni go even though he knew it would hurt him?

I had the same thought with @rottenxtears when they said perhaps Ha Ni came back because she was given one more chance to find her real true love (one out of the two guys that love her). That's why a season 2 would be great. I want to see more development between Ha Ni and Hyun Myung and also Shi Kyung with the fact that they both knows she’s a mermaid. Shi Kyung, I want to see you get your timing right this time. If then by the end of season 2 and Ha Ni still chooses Hyun Myung again then I will accept it because they actually showed everything and Shi Kyung trying his hardest.

To concluded, I want to say that since many of us want to see a season 2 and we believed it when the last episode mentioned "I'll Be Back" we are just sitting here waiting for them to be back. I think in order to make that happen we should work together to email tvN's producers, directors, writers, and even the actors themselves so that they would know that so many people love this drama and wants to see more of it. I've already messaged tvN's youtube, facebook, and twitter but the question is does anybody know where else to contact where our message could be read? Guys lets work hard to show them!

My first post here after being a long silent reader. I saw one comment in website of my country. From what I have read,  explained why Hani came back  and only for Shi Kyung !!!! I'm a Hani ShiKyung Shipper,too. After reading I feel like flying :)  @26sp... I know how u feel, but cheer up!!! I believe Shi Kyung is her true love.May be it's not what we saw. Hope for season 2. 
PS. The only explanation  why Hani turned to bubble is because it's not true love. (It mean that person still have someone else he's still love more or less)

I know many of you like HN with SK, but if HM wasn't her true love, HN'd have never come back... but she came back. If that’s not true love, I don’t know what is. And HM's reaction is amazing in this scene: crying, smiling.. He was even unsteady on his feet. 
jhsoLBK.png

Love more, fear more.. anh HN's fear is just so huge, that is the fear of losing someone you love. As I said before, if her true love stand in front of her, I’m sure she will look at him until she disappears completely. 

tumblr_nd8xviiHwk1thpvfwo2_250.gif
*thank you @briseis 
SO, if that’s not true love, I don’t know what is 
Edit:  The human and the mermaid can't live together. HN had chosen to sacrifice her life and leave him. That's why Witch Ahn lives alone. The scene where HN came back.. maybe it's for winning the hearts of the viewers. Or HN really came back to love HM with another life.

As what I've said on my earlier post, maybe she came back because of the fact that two men are still longing to have her, 2 men that still loves her, 2 men which she had reciprocated love while she still have legs. She was given a chance to settle things by being back (which is what i'm looking forward to if there'll be a second season)

Well that's my opinion why she came back again :x It's up to you if you'll agree or not.

Archived