[Drama 2014] Yoona's Street 유나의 거리 (jTBC)

Bayu Pratama

stuartjmz said: I'm a romantic at heart, a mere brony next to my MU dongsaeng, so for me, the highlight of the excellent episode 9 was Yoona's superbly portrayed incipient jealousy. She made me smile many times, from her protestation that she wanted Mi Seon to leave Chang Min along for his sake, when it was really "hands off, he's mine" (even if she hasn't acknowledged that yet) to her petulance at seeing CM carrying Mi Seon's bag, a petulance she clung to even when it was cleat the bag really WAS that heavy. And, as @jayakris pointed out, the ramyeon spice packet exchange was revealing too - it was clear that she was consciously and explicitly stating a willingness to put his preference ahead of hers, not something that comes easily to her, making it a much bigger concession than it seems on the surface. I look forward to seeing how they progress the relationship in the weeks to come.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chajoowon

@victorb
That near spoiler is pretty cruel thing because i cant wait to ep 13 after hearing several things happening in that ep ;)

victorb said:

stuartjmz

said: I'm a romantic at heart, a mere brony next to my MU dongsaeng, so for me, the highlight of the excellent episode 9 was Yoona's superbly portrayed incipient jealousy. She made me smile many times, from her protestation that she wanted Mi Seon to leave Chang Min along for his sake, when it was really "hands off, he's mine" (even if she hasn't acknowledged that yet) to her petulance at seeing CM carrying Mi Seon's bag, a petulance she clung to even when it was cleat the bag really WAS that heavy. And, as @jayakris pointed out, the ramyeon spice packet exchange was revealing too - it was clear that she was consciously and explicitly stating a willingness to put his preference ahead of hers, not something that comes easily to her, making it a much bigger concession than it seems on the surface. I look forward to seeing how they progress the relationship in the weeks to come.

Guest pixelsprite

Episode 9 was wonderful indeed! I found it neat that the song Yang-soon sang was somewhat fitting with Yoo-na when she wandered the streets later in the episode, and looked at her own reflection in the shop window.

I couldn't resist, and ended up watching the rest of the episodes. I'm surprised at how much I actually understood. A lot can be garnered from just tone and actions. Got a few lingering questions that will hopefully be answered with a re-watch after the subtitles come out.

One final thought: I'm having a bit of trouble with the Chang-man character. The slew of good qualities (good manners, knowledgeable, hard working, patient, honest, understanding, reasonable, loyal etc.) and hardly a fault -- perhaps such persons exist in this world, but I find it hard to reconcile with the realistic nature of this drama. All the other characters seem human and believable, which makes the Chang-man character stand out even more. Would love to hear your thoughts on him.

Guest chajoowon

pixelsprite said: Episode 9 was wonderful indeed! I found it neat that the song Yang-soon sang was somewhat fitting with Yoo-na when she wandered the streets later in the episode, and looked at her own reflection in the shop window.

I couldn't resist, and ended up watching the rest of the episodes. I'm surprised at how much I actually understood. A lot can be garnered from just tone and actions. Got a few lingering questions that will hopefully be answered with a re-watch after the subtitles come out.

One final thought: I'm having a bit of trouble with the Chang-man character. The slew of good qualities (good manners, knowledgeable, hard working, patient, honest, understanding, reasonable, loyal etc.) and hardly a fault -- perhaps such persons exist in this world, but I find it hard to reconcile with the realistic nature of this drama. All the other characters seem human and believable, which makes the Chang-man character stand out even more. Would love to hear your thoughts on him.

Guest man_du13

pixelsprite said: All the other characters seem human and believable, which makes the Chang-man character stand out even more. Would love to hear your thoughts on him.

I got impatient and decided to watch Episode 10 with the unfinished subs, and was much amused by this particular subtitle, which I took to be referring to my home country's national sport, Rugby:
rugby.jpg

After warning @victorb off spoilers with the scariest threat I could think of, I am indulging in some hypocrisy by commenting on something ever so slightly spoilery. I do this because it's testimony to how exceptionally real the writing in this Drama is:
The preview at the end of Episode 10 for the next episode contains a scene to which my reaction was "I totally saw that coming". Yet this was not a criticism, but a compliment. The development shown was very easy to see coming not because it was a Drama trope or cliché that has been used a gazillion times before, but rather because it was how things actually work in real life. Something I suspected was confirmed and that validated the authenticity of the writing, showing real people behaving the way real people do. and proving the truth of the old proverb:

If something seems to good to be true, it probably is

CM is one interesting male character if we're talking in Kdrama terms, he's as average as they come but the fact that he lives in the midst of such a flawed bunch of characters makes him exceptional. I had the same impression about his inability to say no almost to the point of disliking him but the guy is perfectly aware of the way people perceive him and in my opinion he's no pushover (granted this is based on the developments in the unsubbed eps ).  The unknown parts about his history (him living in the deserted bar and his impressive knowledge about anything from theater to electrical wiring ) are indeed puzzling but since this is a 50 ep series I do believe we'll get some info on that sooner or later.

P.S. You're playing right into my hand @stuartjmz , if he makes the mistake of coming to my neck  of the woods dramaland will have one less acting-challenged pretty boy  to worry about >:)

Guest chajoowon

@man_du13
I dont dislike any of those characters except wuss of brother in law, Mi Seon who i really dislike.  She is a horrible person so far to everyone.  Yu Na i like despite her work,flaws and CM is easy to like.    I wouldnt mind many of those characters if i met them in real life except the ones i mentioned disliking, the low level gangsters like Man Bok who is not quiet right in the head.
My fav characters except CM,Yu Na is the ex-cop, his wife and the grandfather old gangster.

ahoxan said:

stuartjmz

said: I got impatient and decided to watch Episode 10 with the unfinished subs, and was much amused by this particular subtitle, which I took to be referring to my home country's national sport, Rugby:

rugby.jpg

Guest man_du13

chajoowon said: @man_du13
I dont dislike any of those characters except wuss of brother in law, Mi Seon who i really dislike.  She is a horrible person so far to everyone.  Yu Na i like despite her work,flaws and CM is easy to like.    I wouldnt mind many of those characters if i met them in real life except the ones i mentioned disliking, the low level gangsters like Man Bok who is not quiet right in the head.
My fav characters except CM,Yu Na is the ex-cop, his wife and the grandfather old gangster.

man_du13 said:

chajoowon

said: @man_du13

Guest man_du13

stuartjmz said: man_du13 said:

chajoowon

said: @man_du13

Guest man_du13

stuartjmz said:  

I am not sure where this drama is heading but my take on this drama is it is a diary of imperfect people's road to redemption.  In any case, I hope the brother in law's love of dogs is genuine since no dog lovers are bad people in heart. 

Archived