[Drama 2014] Yoona's Street 유나의 거리 (jTBC)

Bayu Pratama

Six down and not one misstep so far, this Drama continues to be be approximately one AU ahead of anything else airing, for sure. Among its many delights is the soundtrack - I love that bluesy number that's repeated often. Does anyone know where I can download the songs?
EDIT: The answer to "Where?" was obvious, of course. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stuartjmz said:I tried watching Episode 7 but by about 20 minutes in, the subs were fully machine-translated, and I didn't have access to the correct cocktail of psychotropics needed to unscramble them into something resembling English as I know it. Which is a shame, because the story really seems to be getting interesting! 

jayakris said:
stuartjmz said:I tried watching Episode 7 but by about 20 minutes in, the subs were fully machine-translated, and I didn't have access to the correct cocktail of psychotropics needed to unscramble them into something resembling English as I know it. Which is a shame, because the story really seems to be getting interesting! 

Okay so I finished episode 6, and I have to say, this drama is completely different in every way. I mean the part:

With the cheated wife, typically in such a scene there would be hair pulling and screaming and crying, and maybe some shameful begging with one party down on their knees, but not in this drama. I also liked how the wife acknowledged that it wasn't just the mistresses fault (I forgot her name since she is typically addressed as Eonnie). In most other K dramas usually the wife just blames the 'other woman', which is stupid. It takes two to tango.

Anyway, this drama just keeps getting better and better.

Guest man_du13

I usually do not watch melodramas but this one is an exception.  I really like it.  Done with EP 12 and still like it.  I can not pinpoint why I like this drama, though.  Probably because the plot is uniquely different from other typical K Dramas: A female pickpocket falls into an exceptionally innocent but highly caring guy.  Or may be I like the lead actress (love Kim Ok Bin) or her character (a wild but caring woman).  Or I like the innocent, diligent and caring male lead or his southern Korean accent (Seen many actors rendering of southeastern Korean accent but nobody does better than Lee Hee Jun.  He sounds so natural).  Maybe I like the gangster Kola-Tech owner and people around him.  In any case all characters are funny and interesting. 

Guest pixelsprite

Is Yoo-na's Street considered a melodrama? It doesn't feel like one to me. In fact, I'm not particularly attached to any characters at the moment -- maybe just the doggies :) (hope they get more scenes!) While I don't really feel emotionally invested in the character --  or rather, the "supporting roles" appear to be equals to the "main roles" in my mind, so I'm not rooting for anyone in particular. There's something alluring about it as a whole that leaves me craving more. Like man_du13 said above, I can't put a finger on what it is exactly.

For the pickpocketing scenes, I wish they were a bit more thrilling and suspenseful like the subway scene from the first episode. Yoo-na is supposedly so good at her craft, it feels like it's impossible for her to get caught. Though Chang-man already caught her in the act... (if he was able to catch it so easily, why not other bystanders?) Or maybe it's because the camera angles make it look really simple, so I'm not seeing those "slick skills".

Hope more good stuff is in store for us :)

^^ yes, that is the only little flaw I have seen so far in the drama.  the pickpocket scenes have not shown any particularly good skills or anything.  The camera and editing have not been crisp in those scenes, and the sound recording has been worse, because they amplify the sound of the zipper and all that, making one feel like anybody can catch them in the act...

But Chang Man catching her is understandable though, as he was specifically following her.  If you follow a pickpocket, I am sure there is good chance for you to catch her in the act.  I think they don't have someone in the team to look around and see if anybody is watching them ("scope-eye" is a term they used once without explanation, that I think stands for this job?).  I suppose that could be the explanation?

But otherwise, this drama has been moving along so nicely.  So many details that are just off-the-beaten-path in this drama.  One thing I like about Chang Man is how he never blinks when he is asked if he likes Yu Na and says "yes" with a straight face.  That itself is refreshing.  Then the relationship between Yu Na and Mi Seon.  Both knowing that they are bad, but trying to say the other is worse.  But they know that they kinda need each other to lean on (at least Mi Seon does).

They are soft-pedalling the romance angle now, but it is definitely there, and does pick up slowly from Ep 8 onwards, it seems.

Ep 7 English subs are all done. at DSS.

stuartjmz said:
You guys are doing an awesome job. I feel like I'm just leeching by watching without contributing, so even though my grasp of Korean is slightly worse than Cro-Magnon Man's grasp of quantum mechanics, I'm still planning to see if I can help out as an editor when I get some free time soon. Hopefully the fact that it's a 50 episode Drama will give me a chance to show my appreciation for all the hard work the subbing team is doing.

pixelsprite said: Is Yoo-na's Street considered a melodrama? It doesn't feel like one to me. In fact, I'm not particularly attached to any characters at the moment -- maybe just the doggies :) (hope they get more scenes!) While I don't really feel emotionally invested in the character --  or rather, the "supporting roles" appear to be equals to the "main roles" in my mind, so I'm not rooting for anyone in particular. There's something alluring about it as a whole that leaves me craving more. Like man_du13 said above, I can't put a finger on what it is exactly.

For the pickpocketing scenes, I wish they were a bit more thrilling and suspenseful like the subway scene from the first episode. Yoo-na is supposedly so good at her craft, it feels like it's impossible for her to get caught. Though Chang-man already caught her in the act... (if he was able to catch it so easily, why not other bystanders?) Or maybe it's because the camera angles make it look really simple, so I'm not seeing those "slick skills".

Hope more good stuff is in store for us :)

I've held back from posting anything here just to make sure my first impression was not wrong but now, after 13 ep of pure and simple Kdrama awesomeness, I'm sure there's very little chance this will go all funky on us. As a few previous posts already mentioned this isn't a melodrama, it isn't a rom-com, it's just an honest story with honest characters who don't try to sell us the same cliches we get all the time (I'm loving Yoo Na as the tough as nails pick-pocket who is not one bit ashamed or apologetic about her "job"). And then there's the fact that every character no matter how small has a place in the story and we don't get the usual Kdrama filler characters that don't make any sense whatsoever.
 I'm not going to go any further as I don't want to spoil things for everyone else but I'm going to say this: the first "date" portrayed in this series has got to be one of the most original, real-life inspired scenes I've seen in a while in dramaland (please notice I haven't mentioned the people involved ;) )

P.S. I still can't believe they're doing such a great job with a 50 ep series, by now we should have had at least two birth secrets, one crazy mother/father who does something ... crazy :))  and of course the annoying grandma character who for some reason has to play a major part in the story :)).

One thing in the drama that has puzzled me so far, is why Mi Seon stays in that dump of a place with all the miscreants.  Of course, she fits in well with the crowd, due to having jail-time in her past too, but she seems to have enough money to go elsewhere.  At least she has enough money to pay for gigolo dancers and get her new dongsaeng expensive hair cuts and all that.  Has friends who can take her to Jeju island too.  She my not own the cafe but seems to run it like she is the owner.  So why not pay for a nicer place?

I guess we will see some explanation some time on how she ended up in Boss Han's place...

@jayakris
I'm not sure that she actually has money. I mean she has enough to keep up her lavish lifestyle, the gigolos, and the clothes, but she probably doesn't have the kind of money where she can keep that sort of lifestyle and have a nice place. She has said that she has to at least get an apartment out of the presidents wife before she can dump him, so I'm guessing that perhaps she pays for all of her extravagances and there is nothing left over for a better place. That's just my thoughts on the matter anyway, perhaps there is other reasons though.

Or perhaps she buys these things with a card the president has given her. And I could be wrong, but I don't think you can charge an apartment on a card, but I never tried.

victorb said:  I've held back from posting anything here just to make sure my first impression was not wrong but now, after 13 ep of pure and simple Kdrama awesomeness, I'm sure there's very little chance this will go all funky on us. As a few previous posts already mentioned this isn't a melodrama, it isn't a rom-com, it's just an honest story with honest characters who don't try to sell us the same cliches we get all the time (I'm loving Yoo Na as the tough as nails pick-pocket who is not one bit ashamed or apologetic about her "job"). And then there's the fact that every character no matter how small has a place in the story and we don't get the usual Kdrama filler characters that don't make any sense whatsoever.
 I'm not going to go any further as I don't want to spoil things for everyone else but I'm going to say this: the first "date" portrayed in this series has got to be one of the most original, real-life inspired scenes I've seen in a while in dramaland (please notice I haven't mentioned the people involved ;) )

P.S. I still can't believe they're doing such a great job with a 50 ep series, by now we should have had at least two birth secrets, one crazy mother/father who does something ... crazy :))  and of course the annoying grandma character who for some reason has to play a major part in the story :)).

Having finished episode 7, I'm left with two characters I really don't like, and a question about one of them. Useless parasite Uncle is just that, a useless parasite - annoying and unlikeable with nothing to justify his existence really, even as CM's friend pointed out when saying the guy's own dogs don't even like him. BUT, I get why his brother-n-law tolerates his existence, because he is family, of sorts. Unlike the other characcter I dislike even more intensely.
Yoona's self-employed w.h.o.r.e of an eonni is a thoroughly vile creature,her utter inability to care for others thrown into sharp relief by her callously setting Yoona up to take a beating for her. I know that vermin like her do exist, but my question is this: Do we at some stage find out why Yoona tolerates her and invariably complies with her demands? Yoona has been  shown as extremely independent and self-reliant, more than capable of standing up for herself, yet she keeps putting up and enabling this woman. This acquiescence seems out of character, and I'm curious about whether we find out a reason for what comes across as passive subservience from a lead who is otherwise neither passive nor subservient. I'm not asking for spoilers, just a yes or no the that "do we find out?"question. thanks

Archived