[Drama 2014] Yoona's Street 유나의 거리 (jTBC)

Bayu Pratama

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now on to how I feel about the show: Hmmm. I REALLY like it. I really like it and yet am still a littttttle confused about the underlying storyline, despite the fact that I like the characters and the world it's creating. I really enjoy the two leads! And the side characters are fun and interesting, but I do want a little more of a clear trajectory for the story. I've only watched 4 episodes though so I understand it takes a bit to flesh out the characters and bring them to the necessary places they need to be for the story to unfold. Now I just need a little bit more of an idea of where it's going and what conflicts it'll be dealing with and what sort of character development we'll be getting.  I definitely think this is a drama where it's characters are it's strength and now I'd just like them to get things going. They are doing a good job of making this world feel lived in.
I don't know where Lee Hee-Joon has been hiding up til now, but I am SMITTEN and he has made a serious fan out of me. And his personality in this is just...so my type. Also love Kim Ok-Bin in this role! I only know her from the first ep of Sword & Flower, but she's awesome here. Like seriously, there needs to be more female leads like her. In the end, I think it's them that have me going from pleasantly enjoying the show to being full-on addicted to it. I think they will make quite a lovely couple. 

We just finished a fully QC'ed version of E2 subtitles at DSS.   Enjoy. We're running behind, but on to E3.

I just loved the ending of the second episode.  The old man's MC Hammer was too much for Hammer.  "You can't touch this!"

And all the gangster names... Axe, Big-eyed herring, Masakari, Hammer, Goldfish, Poisonous frog, Pig, Steel Frame... Did I miss any?

“Yuna’s Street” Kim Ok-bin wears nothing but a towel

Bong dal ho called kim chang man in the next room and asked him to take care of her. Kim chang man was surprised at the sound of sirens around the house and knocked.

aodjkg.jpg

On the eighth episode of the JTBC drama “Yuna’s Street“, Kim Chang-man (Lee Hee-joon) moved Yuna (Kim Ok-bin) to his room as the police had his house surrounded.

Kang-soon (Ra Mi-ran) was arrested for pickpocketing and Bong Dal-ho (Ahn Nae-sang) started calling Kang Yuna because he was worried about her. However, Yuna was in the shower and didn’t hear the phone ring. Bong Dal-ho called Kim Chang-man in the next room and asked him to take care of her.

Kim Chang-man was surprised at the sound of sirens around the house and knocked on Yuna’s door. She heard the police and came out of the shower with just a towel wrapped around her.

Source : www.newsen.com/news_v…

Guest ocdee

jayakris said: We just finished a fully QC'ed version of E2 subtitles at DSS.   Enjoy. We're running behind, but on to E3.

I just loved the ending of the second episode.  The old man's MC Hammer was too much for Hammer.  "You can't touch this!"

And all the gangster names... Axe, Big-eyed herring, Masakari, Hammer, Goldfish, Poisonous frog, Pig, Steel Frame... Did I miss any?

Thanks for the kind words... will pass on to everybody working on it.

Just finished the Episode 3 subs.  What a great drama, really. I just loved the ending again.  The old man again at his best.

I also loved Boss Han when Big-eye Herring and party showed up to pay respect to the old man.  The expression on Boss Han's face when the old man started his old-time stories... priceless!

stuartjmz said: Having now watched Episode 3, I have to say that there is something about this Drama that really reminds me of Miss Korea. Above all, it's the clear-eyed unsentimentality of the dialogue, as in this dialogue, spoken by a thief:

And also in the way it subverts Drama tropes, by having its characters behave realistically. The wronged wife, for example, seldom behaves likes this in other Dramas:I also like the way that its low-key nature allows actors to act, rather than ham it up. I'm really enjoying Kim Ok Bin's delivery of her role, it seems perfectly jaded and both weary and wary.   In Reply 1997 I thought Shin So Yool was very good as the likeable naïf, whereas here, I'm already disliking her spoiled gangster's daughter. This is a good thing, as it makes me think she's a real actor, even if her character is a touch formulaic in the obviousness of her second-lead status.
Whether it will end up being a Miss Korea level masterpiece I don't know, but so far it's the closest any Drama has come since. I just hope that it can, like MK, find a way to give us a non-miserable ending still in keeping with the overall realism of its tone. If it does, then perhaps the Manly Unicorn @victorb and his brony hyeong might have another Drama to  try to convert people to. 

^^ I had not seen Kim Ok Bin for a long time.  Hadn't seen Blade and Petal and I never see films either.  The last time I had seen her was in Over the Rainbow from some 6 or 7 years back.  I thought she was okay in that drama, but did not know much more about her.  So far she has done a really good job, and seems to be perfectly cast for this role.

We have finished a couple more episodes at DSS.  Ep  4 and 5 English subs are ready. 

@AlanR, if you are talking about darksmurf subs, please look above for what to do once you are at the site.  I had posted all details.  There are only subs there, unless you become a member and are helping in the subbing work (then you can get streaming video).

This drama is so good! It's interesting plot wise, the acting is natural and amazing, the characters aren't just copy and paste cliches like I so often see these days. It's just a truly great drama. I'm like biting my nails refreshing the page every 5 minutes waiting for episode 6 subs to be ready.

Is this drama confirmed to be 50 episodes? :-/

Guest missnona

obscuresalmon said: This drama is so good! It's interesting plot wise, the acting is natural and amazing, the characters aren't just copy and paste cliches like I so often see these days. It's just a truly great drama. I'm like biting my nails refreshing the page every 5 minutes waiting for episode 6 subs to be ready.

obscuresalmon said: This drama is so good! It's interesting plot wise, the acting is natural and amazing, the characters aren't just copy and paste cliches like I so often see these days. It's just a truly great drama. I'm like biting my nails refreshing the page every 5 minutes waiting for episode 6 subs to be ready.

@Bayu Pratama, thank you very much for starting the thread.
@jayakris, a big thank you to you and your team for taking on the job of subbing this drama. 
Jumping in and commenting after watching Ep 1 (subbed) only  :)  Really enjoyed it so far, and will watch the other subbed episodes later. I watch very very few K-dramas (mainly those which star my favourite actor, Bae Soo Bin) and hadn't planned to watch Yoo Na's Street until I read this thread and two first impressions posts by these two bloggers:
The Cat that watches TV (such a cool name for a blog)http://nekosdrama.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/yoonas-street-first-impression/

http://sayalindramaland.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/yoonas-street-ep-1/

Did a little digging and found out the scriptwriter Kim Woon Kyung wrote "Moon of Seoul" / Seoul's Moon twenty years ago.http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kim_Woon_Kyung

Moon of Seoul is rated No:13 in the inimitable Mr X's Top 500 K-dramas, he gave the writing a score of 96!http://vaultofdoom.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/top-500/#more-193

Here's hoping Kim Woon Kyung keeps up the high standard of writing!
One of my fave moments in Ep 1:
Lee Hee Joon's character said that in high school, some people said he resembled Lee Byung Hun.  I smiled at that since LHJ recently joined LBH's agency BH Entertainment

Guest chajoowon

Which eps are you guys on ?   I saw ep 2-3 few days ago and they cracked me up with the really off beat humor,the parody of the old mob boss schooling the young gangster boss.  The cliffhanger in ep 3 killed me, who knew a horrible thing like cutting off something like that could be so funny ;)
This series is surprising the hell out of me.   So many down to earth, strong characters like Yoo Na who is far from k-drama cliche heroine. Struggling to get pass her criminal past, her addicting to pickpocketing that ruined her father's life.   The hero is so different, you dont know what he is other than his positive personality.   He knows alot of things for a guy that is basicly homeless. 
The gangster lifestyle is not done in cool gangs kind of glamorous life but small time gangs that are nothing but parasite on normal people.
Thanks to darksmurfsub there is 100% subs for ep 4,5 that im gonna watch now.   It keeps being this interesting with so many character, calm pace, awesome quirky humor it might become my current fav drama on air.

Guest chajoowon

stuartjmz said: Having now watched Episode 3, I have to say that there is something about this Drama that really reminds me of Miss Korea. Above all, it's the clear-eyed unsentimentality of the dialogue, as in this dialogue, spoken by a thief:

MOD EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES!!
And also in the way it subverts Drama tropes, by having its characters behave realistically. The wronged wife, for example, seldom behaves likes this in other Dramas:

I also like the way that its low-key nature allows actors to act, rather than ham it up. I'm really enjoying Kim Ok Bin's delivery of her role, it seems perfectly jaded and both weary and wary.   In Reply 1997 I thought Shin So Yool was very good as the likeable naïf, whereas here, I'm already disliking her spoiled gangster's daughter. This is a good thing, as it makes me think she's a real actor, even if her character is a touch formulaic in the obviousness of her second-lead status.
Whether it will end up being a Miss Korea level masterpiece I don't know, but so far it's the closest any Drama has come since. I just hope that it can, like MK, find a way to give us a non-miserable ending still in keeping with the overall realism of its tone. If it does, then perhaps the Manly Unicorn @victorb and his brony hyeong might have another Drama to  try to convert people to. 

We have finished Ep 6 at DSS.  Enjoy. 

I liked the poignant scene of Eonni singing at her karaoke lounge.  We set the lyrics to sing along in English.  Some old song it seems, but it paints a nice picture of a story that fits the scene.

I like how everything is kept at a pretty realistic level by the drama.  The strain of humor is always there.  Like when Boss Han finds Hammer's underlings showing up to help at his club, literally doesn't know what to say, and so turns, looks at them, and kicks the door. lol. That was only thug action he could think of, because he is not much of a thug anymore (or may be he never was!).

The whole scene of grandpa give bull crap to Boss Han and washing his hands of, was so funny. At one point during that crap-fest, Boss Han looks up "at the sky", and I was rofl. The drama knows how to make people laugh without doing much explicitly.

And that brother-in-law character.  The expressions on that guys' face, while sitting at Big-eye Herring's shop, are priceless.  One of the worst wimps I have seen in Kdramas.

Do you all notice how little makeup they have for most characters in this drama?  That is another thing that I find very realistic. It's guys with serious makeup that really bugs me. None of that here.  Even Yu Na, for that matter.  Mi Seon has makeup, but that is how the character is.

jayakris said: We have finished Ep 6 at DSS.  Enjoy. 

I liked the poignant scene of Eonni singing at her karaoke lounge.  We set the lyrics to sing along in English.  Some old song it seems, but it paints a nice picture of a story that fits the scene.

I like how everything is kept at a pretty realistic level by the drama.  The strain of humor is always there.  Like when Boss Han finds Hammer's underlings showing up to help at his club, literally doesn't know what to say, and so turns, looks at them, and kicks the door. lol. That was only thug action he could think of, because he is not much of a thug anymore (or may he never was!).

The whole scene of grandpa give bull crap to Boss Han and washing his hands of, was so funny. At one point during that crap-fest, Boss Han looks up "at the sky", and I was rofl. The drama knows how to make people laugh without doing much explicitly.

And that brother-in-law character.  The expressions on that guys' face, while sitting at Big-eye Herring's shop, are priceless.  One of the worst wimps I have seen in Kdramas.

Do you all notice how little makeup they have for most characters in this drama?  That is another thing that I find very realistic. It's guys with serious makeup that really bugs me. None of that here.  Even Yu Na, for that matter.  Mi Seon has makeup, but that is how the character is.

Archived