[Drama 2014] Gunman in Joseon 조선 총잡이

Go Seung Ji

Now that I'm unofficially on leave I've decided to take this on and so far I'm finding it an immersive experience. The first couple episodes remind me of A Tree With Deep Roots although Tree is probably one of those rare viewing events that is more easily admired than imitated.
I'm not a fan of either of the leads so I'm not watching it for them but the story its own pull and it's been a while since I've watched a period piece.
I hope the political side of things become better developed in future episodes. It's been always fascinating to me how human beings in the midst of historical transition respond to the juggernaut of change -- whether they resist it or embrace it.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nancykimlee

YAY! Things are moving along....because Yeon Ha is not only saved, but she's secure away where we can move on with the narrative even if her safety will always be questioned. ..because Soo In knows and not a minute too soon! There were a few standout moments that essentially became game-changers for Soo In; Dad's approval for gunpowder studies (he may be framed because of her knowledge), Hye Won's lies (friendship tested) and the confirmation of Yoon Kang's identity (he's alive, yes!). ..because Yoon Kang has Won Shin in the palms of his hands with his little tricks. Two birds with one stone, well played. ..and because we need some palace politics and conflicts at the cusp of change. More Ho Kyung + Byung Jae, less Lord Kim, please!
Still unclear regarding Hye Won and Won Shin's (parental-child) relationship but I was a little creeped out with Won Shin's facial reaction to Hye Won's words of affections for Hanjo. It seems as if he was not only concerned but a little jealous (perhaps?), and enough to order his gunman-sidekick to take care of Hanjo immediately upon his signal. If anything, Yoon Kang has awaken the beast inside of Won Shin where he acted upon his emotions rather than his usual stoic self because the two most important things to him are in danger of being lost: Hye Won and his business deal. 
Also, how appropriately awesome was it for Sang Chu to play the gunman to get the job done but also to win Je Mi's affections for this unusual but fun side-pairing? But there's also a part of me that feels nervous that she could blow it for them in any minute.. 
And basically everything else in this episode made sense and happened in order for the story to move forward with some great added angst. From the stills that @angieknows_11 posted and the preview, I'm soooo excited for ep 10 because we know that Soo In will bear the punishment, which will only make the OTP's reunion that much better because she literally suffered for his well-being. Too early to demand for more skinship and kisses? :)

3092fk8.jpg
29atm4h.jpg
160ewqh.jpg

2v9ekwp.jpg
2m272o2.jpg
cr jg dcinside
I remember reading a comment here about how the character YK won't go deep into revenge to a point where he is willing to die for it. I agree with it...for me it does not look like that YK is completely black.......he still has some light. More like that it is SI/YH/FRIENDS/LOVED ONES>REVENGE, based on how is character is written and portrayed so far.

Seriously Lee Joon Ki wants his character in Gunman in Joseon to die in the end?Is that how the Korean audience like it -  the main character dying?
There's no such thing as Good winning over Evil?There's no such thing that after fighting for a cause, one will triumph and be rewarded in the end?Is living on and moving forward a taboo...a wrong choice?

sandjh said: I remember reading a comment here about how the character YK won't go deep into revenge to a point where he is willing to die for it. I agree with it...for me it does not look like that YK is completely black.......he still has some light. More like that it is SI/YH/FRIENDS/LOVED ONES>REVENGE, based on how is character is written and portrayed so far.

Choi is so silly, he dreams of a world where a merchant like him would be treated with respect and have dignity but he is the hired gun for the people who want to maintain status quo and it killing the people who what change and those people are the ones who can turn his dream into reality.

I wonder how SI would control herself now she knows that Hanjo-san is her darling especially with her inquisitive nature, she will want to know what happened to him this past three years they were apart plus even before she knew YK was Hanjo, she has started admiring him when he spoke up for her in front of the bomb maker and I don't expect her to make a mistake that could possibly alert the others to YK identity but she would be coming around to his house very often and staying close to Hanjo now she knows who he is.

Bravo for the ratings!! =D> =D>

Regarding the ending discussion, I want to get hold to the idea of a happy ending. I am hoping for PDnim to give us a happy end, not open and not sad... Something like in princess man. I won t bear if one of our OTP die at the end :(

I will be a mess if that happens. I am not listening to LJK words

%-( hahaha

Honestly, i don t think that writer-nim will take the tragic ending path because at the beginning our OTP shared their dreams and both dreams could mean that they will end together, travelling and living out of korea. (in my heart I am grabbing strongly to that scene! I hope I am not wrong

[-O< ) If at the end I am wrong, i will need a lot of support from all of you: group therapy fanfictions where the end is another one etc, etc, cuz I will be a total mess hahaha

I agree with you on this, I mean hanjo/park hoon kang dying in this drama doesn't make sense at all cuz he isn't so deep into revenge that he has lost himself in the process, to me the story is more like justice seeking and if you remember he didn't kill the gunman (moo duk) rather moo duk committed suicide in other to shut his mouth. As for the death of lord song he had no choice but to kill him (I mean his sis was about to be slashed and any human being would probably do the same).

And like you said the OTP shared their dreams with each other so an ending that is either bittersweet or happy will be more memorable. An open ending doesn't suit this drama at all but all the same I will trust pdnim and writernim to give a suiting ending to the drama. Just as I never expected princessman to end the way it did (bittersweet), it was highly memorable and artistic without being too tragic in fact it was a perfect end to an interesting drama sooooo aja aja JG production team.

I like the idea that SI decided to keep YK's secret. Its obvious when she didnt say a thing when the court guards took her. Also, from the preview, she seems determined not to name drop or point fingers to anyone.

Im curious though as to who will be the first one to get her out of there, will it be eorabonni or chagiya?

class="tit_detail" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 17px 0px 13px; border-style: none none solid; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-color: rgb(73, 79, 95); outline: 0px; font-family: Arial, verdana, dotum, AppleGothic, 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, gulim, Arial, helvetica; vertical-align: top; line-height: 36px; width: 740px; font-size: 28px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: normal; margin-bottom: 0px !important;"‘Lee Jun-Gi’ Takes His Acting to Another Level in [Gunmen in Chosun]2014071708574923894_1.jpg

‘Lee Jun-Gi’ has been receiving complements about his acting ability in historical films.

‘Lee Jun-Gi’ is currently playing the role of ‘Hanzo’ who is a Japanese merchant by day and an avenger ‘Park Yun-Gang’ by night in KBS 2TV Wed-Thu soap opera [Gunmen in Chosun (Writer Lee Jung-Woo, Hang Hee-Jung, PD Kim Jung-Min, Cha Young-Hoon, Producer KBS Media) ]

‘Lee Jun-Gi’s character ‘Park Yun-Gang’ is from a family of warriors during the ‘Chosun’ period but he disguises himself and turns into a gunman to seek revenge.

When people heard that ‘Lee Jun Gi’ will star in [Gunmen in Chosun], they were excited and worried at the same time.

He has been very good in playing actios scenes through SBS [iljimae], MBC [Time between Dog and Wolf], [Hero] but lately it seems that the actor is starting to favor acting in historical work such as the movie [King's man] and MBC [Arang and the Magistrate]

People were doubtful about how much more he can offer in these films because he has already starred in historical work.

However, as episodes are released, ‘Lee Jun-Gi’ seems to be performing better and better every time.

Reporter: Kim So Yeon
Translator: Park Su Yeon
Editor: Son Ji Ho
KOFAN

class="tit_detail" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 17px 0px 13px; border-style: none none solid; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-color: rgb(73, 79, 95); outline: 0px; font-family: Arial, verdana, dotum, AppleGothic, 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, gulim, Arial, helvetica; vertical-align: top; line-height: 36px; width: 740px; font-size: 28px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: normal; margin-bottom: 0px !important;"‘Nam Sang-mi’ Takes Her Acting to Another Level In New Episode of [Gunman in Josun]2014072309025986994_1.jpg

On July 23rd, KBS 2TV Wed Thurs drama [Gunman in Josun] released the still cut photo of ‘Jeong Soo-in’(Nam Sang-mi).

Looking at the still cut before the release of the newest episode, character ‘Jeong Soo-in’ is sadly crying with desperate facial expression, which is making many audiences curious why.

The still cut is going to be a scene in July 23rd’s episode of [Gunman in Josun]. The production crews revealed “Nam Sang-mi tried hard to pull out the right emotions of ‘Jeong Soo-in,’ who gets in big trouble in drama. Her tears are going to be the drama’s climax in July 23rd’s episode. Audiences should look forward to her overwhelming acting skills.

Reporter: Lee Kyung-ho
Translator: Yoon Pyung-hae
Chief Editor: Son Ji-ho
KOFAN

Guest sullifish

in ep 10 later, i think when Hanjo go to the court where soo in there that he wants to prove the innocence for her..hmm maybe they will not let go of Soo In and then starting suspicious of Hanjo that look alike of Yoon Kang..I really hope yoon kang will save soo in as how he saved his younger sister....by using merchant choi help cause in the preview , merchant choi beg to yoon kang to not cancel the investment...and also hope tonight rating will up to 14%Joseon Gunman Fighting!!!

Guest sullifish

when will yoon kang realize that soo in already know who he is?i think in early ep 10 when soo in being taken away, then YK go back to his room and see it the cupboard is open.....maybe haha
8443e990b96352ade6f11ded0cdef10b.gif

cr to dc

After Soo In let YK read that book in the earlier episodes that mentioned equality, I wonder if he, within the 3 year period, adopted the views of Soo In and her teacher even though he, at first, thought it was silly.  It seems like he did because of the way he first treated Jemi whom he told not to address him in a way that shows his superior authority or the way he encouraged Soo In by showing the bomb expert that even women can learn too or the way he encouraged HW not to be ashamed of being a slave at one time.  
I really want to know more about YK's dreams and goals, if he acquired any new ones besides his thirst for revenge or his dream to be with Soo In.  For the latter, I wonder if he really gave up hope in fulfilling that dream because of the former.  Sadly, it seemed that way when he told Officer Han not to reveal his real identity to her and to have her think that he's dead….. ;____________; Well, at least he kept his promise to her that he would stay alive and it seems he can't hide his feelings for her any longer now that she knows the truth about his identity and that she's in trouble.
Also, I do hope that the real Hanjo-san actually gave YK permission to use his identity.  Otherwise, if the real Hanjo-san is alive and unaware of YK using his identity and finds out about that later or worse, YK actually doesn't work for Yamamoto, that'll mean more/big trouble for YK with not just Joseon, but with Japan too >___<…  
In addition, regarding his revenge against the gunman who killed his father, I wonder if he harbours resentment towards his king/country because his father who has always been loyal to Joseon was charged with treason.  Besides the revenge, does YK plan to investigate further about this? How it all came about?  Poor YK! he's just one man, but he's fortunate to have his girl, best friend, Sang Chu and hopefully soon, Officer Moon, on his side…but I think he still needs more help.  Hopefully, our second leads will continue to be awesome in their own ways and support YK directly or indirectly.  ^___^

Archived