[Official] SPARTACE COUPLE KimJongkook-SongJiHyo

Anyway this parts from 151227, end of year episode.

Background: fortune teller tells SJH that her work life and love life could be stabilised in 2016. He then proceeds to say SJH has a lot of men around her currently, and she seems to point to 2 people in particular to that comment.

Afterwards the fortune teller tells her that but most of the men around her are of low quality and SJH again points to some people (maybe with the exception for one?).

• Like 1

Heres another interesting section from 151227, end of year episode.

Background: KJK is getting his tarot card read, when YJS says this one (that KJK is picking) must be for him. The fortune teller tells KJK that he's going to have a hard time with this person. At this point SJH stands up and slaps KJK saying that shes better for him (twice). Not really sure why she would say this really, maybe shes trying to say he should have picked a card for her, or if she means shes a better fit for him than YJS. The fortune teller later goes on to say that they'll always have to wear a mask (figuratively) around each other to hide their true feelings.

Think what you will out of it but it's quite funny how this segment could be interpreted. 

The hardship KJK is going to face could mean the most obvious comedic route (having a hard time with YJS) or it could be hinting at something deeper with him having a hard time with SJH and having to hide his true emotions (as suggested by wearing of the masks).

• Like 1

Segment from 160227, 5th strongest running man challenge.

Background: JSJ is doing a test where the doctors keep changing with a hidden cam for the other members to see. YJS went into the room to distract JSJ and came out to the lobby where everyone else is sitting down and looking at JSJ through the monitor.

Looks like KJK really wanted that seat.

• Like 2

Guest athoughtcloud1

Since there are people who know Korean here, I wanted to ask. I have seen the subtitle in yellow here "I was glad" translated as "I wish it" or something like that in another translation. Have never understood what that means. Is it something the editor has inserted just like that or is it really based on something she said? Why is she glad? Once she found out the chin was small, she felt glad since she could easily identify him???

But whatever it is, looks like Kookie felt a bit shy as he gives this slightly long look, wets his tongue and then looks down towards the end. The second time she again recognizes his face correctly, he is pretty amazed and he keeps telling JS who ruins the moment by saying "it is because your chin is as small as your heart".:P

@bidovacsb Since this was a reading to find the best partners for the games, I think she meant he should have chosen her since she is his best partner. But like you said, unlike the earlier times where JK named the person after revealing the fortune, in this case it is JS who says "It will be me" before he even picks the card. And everyone seems to be following that assumption when the fortune teller reveals the fortune. JH's reaction to me looked like she wanted to say "you would have got a better fortune if you had picked me". But I really don't know how far the fortune telling is scripted and how far it is not. There are certain patterns there. For instance, the first fortune teller saying JH will meet a good man in 2016 when there is a huge possibility that her joining WGM might have been known to the cast and the team beforehand! Though it was not shown in the episode, articles had come out saying that Gary was very anxious to know about the future of the Monday couple (seems more like the team knew beforehand about Chinese WGM and might have used the forecast regarding Monday couple to prepare for the development. Anyway, they chose not to air it. May be they will air it in one of the future episodes). I am not a huge believer in fortune telling anyway and read a comment somewhere that the first fortune-teller's predictions were proved as fake in some show (not sure whether this is true). Anyway, not saying that all of it is fake, just that some of it may have been for the purpose of the show as well.

I don't believe in fortune telling, so I have a very skeptical response to ep 279 and also ep 183. You also have to remember that the cast members have to play along to some extent. RM staff can hardly invite a fortune teller and then have KJK or SJH say "That's completely inaccurate." 

The fortune telling regarding luck is easy enough to research beforehand. I could have told you most of the things the fortune teller told the RM cast members (for example, that KJK is looking for an ideal woman or that LKS becomes interested in girls much too quickly) - it plays into their characters and they've said pretty much that during the show or in interviews.The face reader could also research the RM cast before hand to know what to point out (KJK is a leader, YJS's mouth earns him money - it's like, no duh, watch two episodes of RM and I could tell you that). The interesting one is the person who reads the members relationships in the tarot cards, since the members themselves think of someone and then, without telling, pick three cards. The tarot reader then doesn't know which relationship she has to describe. It's possible that the tarot card reader was off a few times, but those scenes were cut and we only see the descriptions she gives that actually do match the members relationships. For LKS's reading of KJK and KJK's reading of YJS, I think they were the last member to be read, so it'd be easier for the fortune teller to give a reading based off what she knows about the show. And honestly, if she's vague enough, the reading she gives can apply to multiple members - which is why we see SJH in the reading for YJS and KJK.

I do agree that it's interesting how the staff seems to emphasize the relationship between KJK and KG in this episode. (I also think it was to them that JSJ said, "You two are a couple" in ep 280, since there's no way the RM staff would let a recording of JSJ saying "You two are a couple" to KJK and SJH air.) There are some KG and some KJK fans, from what I can see, that tend to treat KJK and KG as rivals, comparing their music careers and who's more successful. (I think this is a ridiculous comparison since their careers have been so different, but that's unimportant to spartace.) So it's possible there may be some attempt to emphasize the friendship between KJK and KG, but I feel like the staff isn't thinking too much about how spartace would be received if they were dating and the news came out, sicne the staff still pushes MC.

I don't know if y'all have seen ep 183 (Find Your Partners of Fate) recently, but there's a lot of interesting moments. I don't speak Korean, so I don't understand the background chatter, but at the end, when the final couples are revealed and KJK and UJH turn out to be well matches, I think you can hear YJS say SJHs name as if in warning and KJK glances to his left. When waiting to hear the results, UJH wraps her arms around KJK, but he stands pretty stiffly - until the PD confirms that they are the partners of fate, then he plays along and hug her. KJK, interestingly, is also the one who says SJH and KG are probably the partners of fate. It's a total guess since they have no clues to go on (unless hints were given in their fortune telling that we didn't see). 

For the fortune telling ep from this year, actually the woman who reads the members relationships in the tarot cards did it for every member and each member was told about their relationship with the rest of RM members, it's because the production cut a lot of moments that they didn't found interesting that we weren't able see anything about what she said about SA. If you look carefully at the numbers of tarot cards there are on the table, it means the prod edited out the scenes.

For JK, KS was the first person he was thinking of when he picked the cards, then the prod cut the scene for the second person he was thinking of, and show the scene of the third person : Gary. (You can watch carefully this ep again to see what I'm talking about)

Just before he picked the cards for Gary and after the second person (I don't know if it was Suk Jin, Haha or JH), Haha said this:

al5kww.png

Then, the prod cut again the tarot cards reading of the 4th and 5th person (Suk Jin, Haha or JH) and show the tarot cards reading of Jae Suk.

So when JH hit JK and said "I'm better partner for you", the woman already read their tarot cards and said things we don't know.

Even if I'm pissed off because they cut a lot of scenes, I'm happy to see that it also means that the tarot cards didn't show anything interesting and satisfying for the prod between JH and Gary because if it wasn't the case they would have shown us the fortune telling about Monday Couple. And ep 285 show us that JH's best partner for this year is Haha (not Gary): interesting scene (and satisfying for me) that we didn't see on ep 279.

• Like 2

Guest athoughtcloud1

3 hours ago, linzer03 said:

do agree that it's interesting how the staff seems to emphasize the relationship between KJK and KG in this episode. (I also think it was to them that JSJ said, "You two are a couple" in ep 280, since there's no way the RM staff would let a recording of JSJ saying "You two are a couple" to KJK and SJH air.) There are some KG and some KJK fans, from what I can see, that tend to treat KJK and KG as rivals, comparing their music careers and who's more successful. (I think this is a ridiculous comparison since their careers have been so different, but that's unimportant to spartace.) So it's possible there may be some attempt to emphasize the friendship between KJK and KG, but I feel like the staff isn't thinking too much about how spartace would be received if they were dating and the news came out, sicne the staff still pushes MC.

I edited out the part I had written earlier about the repeated emphasis on the KG-KJK compatibility in the forecasts since I didn't want to enter the speculation territory. Glad I edited it out since you seem to have put it quite well here. But I will share my thoughts. Like you, I too believe JSJ's remark was meant for Gary and KJK. No way anybody would be that careless to let it air if it was meant otherwise. JK's face also shows almost no reaction when JSJ tells him that. Agree about the comparison that seems to be going on between Gary n KJK among the fans and how that can be perceived as divisive by the team who seem to stress a lot on "7012" these days.

Spoiler

Since this is out of topic, putting in spoiler.

I feel KJK n Gary were not that close initially even though Gary was supposedly one of the "kids". Obviously, their personalities are different and they didn't have the same amount of history that KJK had with Haha and YJS or Gary with Haha. But it has always been a respectful relationship from whatever I have seen. Recently, they seem a lot more closer though. Also, you can see the team emphasizing their bonding moments a lot more. Like for instance, KJK helping Gary find the lease against Haha or KJK choosing to feed Gary alone out of the other team members in the ice igloo episode (which I can't remember him doing before) or cheering him on during the nerve test in episode 285. Last episode as well, KJK was looking quite happy when Gary won and was selected for the London trip. Actually, they are a strong combination. They might have had other moments, but the team hasn't tried to highlight them like this. Two of my favourite moments are the team selection moment in episode 32 when KJK chooses Gary and Gary kisses him on the cheek (as well as KJK laughing when Gary pretends to sob to escape his scolding) and the other one is in the episode with Shinhwa (161) where KJK beats the guy from Shinhwa in the race across the room. KJK is totally tired out at the end of the race. In one of those rare Gary-KJK moments,Gary, who has been sitting on the RM team bench, goes and hugs him. That was cute!!!

As to how spartace is involved in this, I have only speculations. If a day ever comes when spartace announce something (though I too don't see it happening any time soon), the KJK- Gary relationship will be scrutinized, even if it is after the show's official run. So, guess in the long run, it makes sense that they create some JK-Gary moments since the commander and the 2 kids is kind of out of everybody's memory now. Or may be they are just trying out different combinations since the PD says they are not going to rely on guests this year (Don't know how that will go).

I think (excluding the first year or so) the RM cast has always been good friends, but there are definitely people who are closer than others. I don't know if KJk and KG have necessarily gotten closer recently. It may be that the staff is trying to emphasize new dynamics in the cast to make things fresh again, which might be why we see a lot more of LKS-SJH,  KJK-KG, and the HH-KG rivalry (the ones I can think of off the top of my head) in the last few months. So we may not necessarily be seeing a dramatic change in their relationships, but rather the staff and cast trying something new. They'd especially want to emphasize some new dynamics in the cast if they want to focus less on guests this year.

Everyone here's probably seen this, but it's an interesting video, so I'm bringing it back up. Though, it has to be taken with some scrutiny KJK himself had admitted isn't always honest about relationships (he meant romantic at the time, but if there's one member who he's very much not close to, he's hardly going to admit it). In a 2013 (correct me if I'm wrong) interview, KJK actually listed off the cast members he's closest to. LKS was the first spot. Then HH and YJS, which makes sense since they knew each other before. Then JSJ and KG. He placed SJH last. So obviously he wasn't particularly close to KG back then compared to the other members, he even said KG's name after JSJ, though they technically got the same ranking. SJH, take note, was put in last place "because she's a woman and she belongs to KG" and "because she's a woman, it is better that I put her last". It sounds as though she's not actually last place, but rather he's putting her there to avoid a scandal.

• Like 2

@athoughtcloud1 yeah unfortunately it looks like the subber just wrote that bit in, it doesn't mean "i was glad". It's basically writing down what SJH said (you can see the subtitle has a closer translation of what she meant compared to the emphasized  lettering on the right - why they changed it there, i dunno).

You can't really translate that phrase literally in this sense but the closest would probably be "i thought it might have been" (i.e. it confirmed my suspicions).

4 hours ago, linzer03 said:

Everyone here's probably seen this, but it's an interesting video, so I'm bringing it back up. Though, it has to be taken with some scrutiny KJK himself had admitted isn't always honest about relationships (he meant romantic at the time, but if there's one member who he's very much not close to, he's hardly going to admit it). In a 2013 (correct me if I'm wrong) interview, KJK actually listed off the cast members he's closest to. LKS was the first spot. Then HH and YJS, which makes sense since they knew each other before. Then JSJ and KG. He placed SJH last. So obviously he wasn't particularly close to KG back then compared to the other members, he even said KG's name after JSJ, though they technically got the same ranking. SJH, take note, was put in last place "because she's a woman and she belongs to KG" and "because she's a woman, it is better that I put her last". It sounds as though she's not actually last place, but rather he's putting her there to avoid a scandal.

I'm not sure if this may also be of any interest to you, @linzer03 but your link to that video reminded me of how I once came across another subbed version of that video:

This one was apparently translated directly from what was said in Korean rather than the Chinese subtitles. I'm not exactly sure how accurate this translation is as well, but it did in fact translate at least one more bit of dialogue than the linked YouTube video.

For convenience, here's this video's version of those subtitles (for his response about JH): "Ji Hyo is a woman, and she belongs to Gary, I think that explains our acquaintance/relationship. Me and Ji Hyo are close but I think there's a difference between me being close to guys and girls.  Please tell her that's my excuse."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pink007 said:

I'm not sure if this may also be of any interest to you, @linzer03 but your link to that video reminded me of how I once came across another subbed version of that video:

This one was apparently translated directly from what was said in Korean rather than the Chinese subtitles. I'm not exactly sure how accurate this translation is as well, but it did in fact translate at least one more bit of dialogue than the linked YouTube video.

For convenience, here's this video's version of those subtitles (for his response about JH): "Ji Hyo is a woman, and she belongs to Gary, I think that explains our acquaintance/relationship. Me and Ji Hyo are close but I think there's a difference between me being close to guys and girls.  Please tell her that's my excuse."

Just in relation to his last part regarding SJH, the direct translation is "Well no matter how you see it, JH is a girl and also Gary's. If you want to put it that way (*talking about the question regarding friendship ranking*). I'm friends with JH too, but with women and men being close, i wonder if [men are] closer with men. So please (*emphasised*) tell them (*talking to interpreter to translate for the interviewer*) i'd say this if i was nitpicking."

So he's actually generalising friendship between men / men and women / men and not his specific relation with SJH. You're probably right in thinking he put her last knowing that this might cause some inconvenience to either himself, SJH, MC, RM whatever.

• Like 4

This is a segment from Happy Together 3, 20160121

So the panel talks about KJKs love life and one of them says "i heard you dont have more than 10 women in your contacts list", KJK replies that he has no reason to contact actresses and that they only call during special times (new years etc). They then asks who the actresses are that KJK has on his contacts list.

KJK lists 3 people that he keeps in contact with, look at number 2 (he stutters when saying it).

The panel asks KJK how he knows Son Na Eun (the third girl) and KJK replies that she asked for his number (for fitness / gym advice lmao). KJK then adds that hes never really asked [women] for their numbers.

• Like 4

On 20/2/2016 at 5:09 AM, linzer03 said:

@pink007 Thanks! I tried to find a better translation, but that video didn't give me much to go on. I think it's interesting that he puts SJH in a different category than the others, especially since I know a lot of people argue that KJK doesn't see SJH as a female. 

Well this confirms that he himself says that he can't see her or treat her the same way as the others, because she is woman. He could have also said that he is the least close to SJH because he wanted to protect her from dragging her into as scandal because of his comment if i remember right 2013 was the year where there was the most skinship between them on camera, and where those sweet moments weren't edited out.

• Like 3

i dunno exactly what did he mean, he's the one who knows the reasons he rank JH the latest among the members. but let me give my observations here. 

he was interviewed in 2013, i believe this is the year people get noticed that they interactions got more intense. it's suspicious that he rank JH the latest he close to but they look so close together both off and on-screen (SG fanmeet interview, MAMA awards, RM ep 166 and more, mention it). i wonder then how close he is with JSJ or KG if by those togetherness and interactions, JH is the latest? i'm not 100% sure that they two are dating by that year or when he was interviewed, i stated before that they have their relationship going forward.
about the "JH is Gary's" statement, did he really need to mention it? if we wanna be friend with someone in different gender, should he/she don't belong to anyone? unless you wanna be their bf/gf, this is need to be mentioned. it's funny that after it,  JH-KG stated thay they're just colleagues and never meet outside the work. when JH-KG rumoured, they deny it, but when JK-JH dating rumour came out, both of them don't make any clarification. 

• Like 4

Y'all should check this out and see what you think. So KJK, SJH, and JSJ are in the beginning of Super Junior M Guest House ep 9, and they're recommending places to visit. SJH says the Han River during the day, and I think (I don't understand Korean so someone should check this) SJH is the one who says, "Riding bicycles there is good too." Which is interesting since in ep 276, the two teams are on the way to Ttukseom Resort Station (which is near the Han River) to rescue Gary. While driving there with his team, KJK says, "We rode bikes there." And with her team, SJH gives detailed instructions on how to get there and YJS asks, "You came here for a date, right?" SJH smiles and doesn't answer (that we know of) so it might just be YJS joking around. Still, interesting coincidence that the Han River and bikes is mentioned twice in relation to SJH and KJK. 

• Like 6

Guys, you might be taking that interview a bit too seriously. The part that seems to be omitted on all the translations seem to be that he's doing this (the ranking) for the sake of putting them into a rank. i.e. he's being forced to rank them. You can tell by his tone in the interview and the fact that he put SJH "lowest" with that weak richard simmons explanation for it shows he's not serious about it.

Also given his general demeanour towards female celebrities (as in he won't show interest in them unless they show explicit interest to him), and also the amount of hate Korean celebrities get if any sort of dating / relationship news arises (as said by SJH when she was saying she took on a lot of hate from Song Joong Gi fans because they were being too close on RM) will make KJK wary about what he says.

• Like 5

@bidovacsb I don't think we were taking it that seriously. Our main observation was just that SJH was placed last because she was female. Possibly to avoid people questioning if they were close. Not necessarily because they were dating, but because ranking her high would seem weird knowing KJK's character. 

• Like 3