[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

I know I'm not Korean, and I am not an expert on Korean history, but, doesn't Ki marry the Emperor, have a son who becomes Emperor?

I know she is to love WY but Huizong ain't so bad.

Ok, I'm off to bed now that I have gotten that off my chest!

beca said: niknokdagu425 said: Showbiz korea Empress ki https://www.youtube.com/embed/cQ_LE9FT0u8 For those who wants to know a brief synopsis see this video and they give a honest view about EMpress KI,its a very informative clip 

Guest kaeruchan

Hello everyone...finally got some time to spazz together, before this I only lurked around and giggling while reading everyone's posts and updates :)

I never thought I'd be addicted to this drama so early and I was surprised with myself, waking up way before my usual time and waiting patiently for the videos to be downloaded before watching them without subs because I couldn't wait. I am glad that I decided to watch because oh, so many feels this drama gives me in four episodes! I've lost count on how many times I was crying and smiling for the characters. I guess that's the charm of sageuk since I'm a big fan of the genre.

While this drama is entitled Empress Ki, I like that they aren't solely focusing on Seung-nyang. The first four episodes, in my opinion, follows Seung-nyang closely but still manage to make us intrigued with the other characters. It's all thanks to the excellent script penned by my favorite writer duo and the cast. As for the OTP, I was torn in between Yoo and Ta-hwan but I've decided that both of them have their own strength and weaknesses, so whoever ends up receiving Seung-nyang's love, I'll cheer for the winner and cry with the unfortunate one. Don't tell me to choose, it's hard to pick one in between the adorable Baby Prince and the swoon-worthy King!

About the historical facts issue, it happened to most of the historical dramas, especially those based on the respected figures. Even the famous PD Lee Byung-hoon, who directed many historical dramas, said that only 10-20% of a sageuk are based on facts while the remaining are based on the PD and writers' imagination. Even if this drama is fictional, if it can make people aware of the history behind the historical figures portrayed in the drama, then it has served more than its original purpose of entertainment, that is educating the viewers about the history. This is just my opinion, but I do hope that the ratings reflect the viewers' acceptance towards this fictionalized version of Empress Ki and other characters.

I also did brief recaps of the episodes, just to tide over myself while waiting for the subs and to sort out my thoughts after watching them.

Empress Ki: Eps 1-2

Empress Ki: Eps 3-4

Thank you for all the updates, pics, spoilers, and thoughts. I really love hanging around  here while reading your posts ;)

Guest Ding Lin

@kaeruchan: I totally agreed with you :)!
I am so addicted to this drama.  As a big HJW fan, I tuned in to watch HJW.  While HJW has been more than wonderful in this drama (did I say that I love her?!), I learned to love the other characters, Wang Yoo, Ta Hwan, Seung Nyang's Dad.... etc. I have to say that even bad guys are pretty intriguing!  This drama is simply wonderful.  

So far, I am totally in love with the 
Wang Yoo and Seung Nyang pairing! I am surprised that I have chose my side of the love triangle so early. Please do not ask why!  Before I knew it, I have been waiting for their interactions. It felt like falling in love! Ha! Ha!  There is certain level of cuteness.  I look forward to the next episodes.  I do hope there will be more interactions between  Wang Yoo and Seung Nyang! 

Guest niknokdagu425

beca said: beca said: niknokdagu425 said: Showbiz korea Empress ki https://www.youtube.com/embed/cQ_LE9FT0u8 For those who wants to know a brief synopsis see this video and they give a honest view about EMpress KI,its a very informative clip 

In episode 4 the king's jealousy almost burn my screen and my eyes xDAnd his dream was cute I laughed so hard !!Poor SN to loose her father when he recognize her I really felt sorry for her ...
Well I read somewhere that when her husband died and her son rose to the throne she disappeared, so maybe the writers will use that excuse so she can love both the king and the emperor ... as long as she honestly love one of them I'm okay with that !!
But I am far more interested to see the Jackal becoming an empress than anything else ! I wonder if she will beat up the ministers and scholars xD

Guest NganBabee

I'm so in love with this drama, I had to register just to post in this thread. This is the best drama of 2013 for me. It's unusual for historical dramas to be so addicting even after the first few episodes, but this one is different. I have high expectations for the plot.