5 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson There was no real heterosexual desire because this is a gay drama but you guys don’t want to believe me :rolleyes: BW was only in love with Hwi, not realizing he was only the third wheel (Hui Jae being the fourth) once he realized Hwi wasn’t really “his man” but only Seonho’s he said “kill him, kill them all, kill them really really dead” hence 1,000 arrows pierced his ex-lovers body. THE END 

Man, you cracked me up! :lol: You're kinda right- everyone loved Hwi. Why?! because! You're right-The show wasn't heterosexual, it was Hwisexual! So bad... :joy:

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

So, for different reasons but this drama turned into a torment and Im glad its over too. I know I’ll move on but for now I’m still upset and still not hyped up on his new drama or possible new hair. I’ll be stuck on Bangwon and his betrayal for a little while. 

Since I still haven't seen the last episode and I don't expect much of these writers, Maybe I'll skip watching them altogether so it won't ruin BW for me? I don't care about the stupid plot anyway... I think I'll just watch the clips you guys post on IG and twitter...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

We didn't get to see him supporting his dad in the beginning, we didn't get to see him with his mother- we didn't get to see how much of a loyal and loving son he was, only were told about it. And as I said before, I hated the fact that they didn't even bother showing us his private life- his wives and children. We didn't get to see him as a dad and a hysband. That could have been such an interesting contrast...

This show story isn't about Bang Won so we will never get to see his private life. But show should have shown us a little glimpse of Bang Won early battles fighting for his father's kingdom so we know how much he had done for his father and why he felt so betrayed. 

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

But then again, it's ok if he wants the MC wrap up party look, then let him have fun with this long hair. I'm happy with it too, at least it's something very different from his usual, just as long as no bowl cut like BM and WOL and BP. Hehe. 

I feel he cannot have too much fringe infront. He needs to show forehead. His hair in Urban Cop was a disaster. In BPP, I kind of accepted that because most boxers have short hair. WOL and BM ah, I expected something nicer than a bowl cut. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

HAHAHA gosh this is funny but gold :joy:  Everyone just wants Hwi's attention haha. 

What's the deal with Hwi? I dont find him endearing. it's just like the writer really hard to make another tragic character. Sometimes it's kinda want to copy Daegil but in this case Un-Nyeon is definitely Seon Ho. all the character lose any purpose after Nam Jeon died. They just run like headless chicken. 

I love Jang Hyuk and I love him in this character. But, sometimes writer kinda use him dirty here. If you want to make him a bloody tyrant make it from the beginning. He can have his inner struggle but too much compassion is ridiculous sometimes with BW character.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

4 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I feel he cannot have too much fringe infront. He needs to show forehead. His hair in Urban Cop was a disaster. In BPP, I kind of accepted that because most boxers have short hair. WOL and BM ah, I expected something nicer than a bowl cut. 

We probably will find out what it finally is on Dec 15 when he goes for the birthday gathering in Japan. Only hope there will be sneak peaks of pictures, I dunno how they manage to keep it so under wraps the last Lala fan meeting! Zero pics of him at all! Only description of his look haha. So mysterious. 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson There was no real heterosexual desire because this is a gay drama but you guys don’t want to believe me :rolleyes: BW was only in love with Hwi, not realizing he was only the third wheel (Hui Jae being the fourth) once he realized Hwi wasn’t really “his man” but only Seonho’s he said “kill him, kill them all, kill them really really dead” hence 1,000 arrows pierced his ex-lovers body. THE END 

I loved/liked this drama at first despite flaws, at some point I only cared for Bangwon, in the end I hated even Bangwon because despite his cruelty I truly believed he would keep his word regarding Hwi. And Hwi trusted that word (which kinda ruins Hwi too, he trusted the wrong man, he wasted so much of his life on him) 

So, for different reasons but this drama turned into a torment and Im glad its over too. I know I’ll move on but for now I’m still upset and still not hyped up on his new drama or possible new hair. I’ll be stuck on Bangwon and his betrayal for a little while. 

Are you serious? Gay :lol:drama? I guess I'm the only one that no matter what Bang Won do, is justified and I won't be upset. Lol. 

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Let's do something fun! Like maybe quizzes, or choose the most handsome picture, or post GIFs of him and create a topic to talk about while waiting for TMWYS. (This acronym is a handful and not very memorable). Maybe we can start off by thinking of one that is memorable and easy to type. Haha. 

Anyone knows where can watch his press conference? The 2nd one. In this drama, he seemed to be very quiet. Ya ok I get it he's a supporting but with all the buzz about Bang Won, at least he should appear more to promote the drama???

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Since I still haven't seen the last episode and I don't expect much of these writers, Maybe I'll skip watching them altogether so it won't ruin BW for me? I don't care about the stupid plot anyway... I think I'll just watch the clips you guys post on IG and twitter...

Hey no, feel you should watch the last episode. BW is so good here. I mean he's good all the time. But can really feel his disappointment or sadness that even though he had got the throne, but he remains lonely and sad. Esp the part where he told himself "hard work" and his face changed to a fierce looking king. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, yoeda said:

What's the deal with Hwi? I dont find him endearing. it's just like the writer really hard to make another tragic character. Sometimes it's kinda want to copy Daegil but in this case Un-Nyeon is definitely Seon Ho. all the character lose any purpose after Nam Jeon died. They just run like headless chicken. 

I love Jang Hyuk and I love him in this character. But, sometimes writer kinda use him dirty here. If you want to make him a bloody tyrant make it from the beginning. He can have his inner struggle but too much compassion is ridiculous sometimes with BW character.

Agree with you. If ask to make a summary of this drama, I don't know how to describe. The plot is like a mess. Except for BW who craves for the throne, king refused to give BW the throne, Queen wants her son to be the king, and of course NJ the so called bad guy, all other characters are like headless chicken.

We wasted a good part of the drama to Hwi sister and Hwi bunch of friends. Hwi is (to me) such a weak character or maybe is his acting. Pity HJ at the end as in, what's her role here, what's her purpose? And her hairstyle is so inconsistent. And SH....I don't know what to say about his role. 

I didn't quite agree too with the initial BW. He is too emotional for a warrior. Writer wants to make him have inner struggle because of his father rejection of him but I'm glad Bang Won snapped out of it and became ruthless.

Side note : I read that MC rating at 3.951 - good or not good?

Oh, @Prettysup @The Reel LifeYou know, the chinese subtitle in hanjuwang.net and juji.net varies slightly. I was watching from hanjuwang previously. Now I rewatched in juji. Slight changes. I think the one at juji is easier to understand/read. :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, budgerie said:

It's good for a cable drama. But, overall the rating keep dropping. It's stay steady for 6 week in 4++ rating but it's kinda drop to 3 in last 2 weeks. Guess viewers lost interest little bit.

This is from Wiki:

In this table, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.

Ep. Original broadcast date Average audience share
AGB Nielsen[10]
Nationwide Seoul
1 October 4, 2019 3.512% 3.777%
2 October 5, 2019 3.846% 3.983%
3 October 11, 2019 3.759% 3.910%
4 October 12, 2019 4.839% 4.999%
5 October 18, 2019 4.209% 4.252%
6 October 19, 2019 4.989% 5.239%
7 October 25, 2019 4.704% 4.662%
8 October 26, 2019 4.873% 5.239%
9 November 1, 2019 4.594% 4.692%
10 November 2, 2019 4.874% 4.483%
11 November 8, 2019 4.412% 4.706%
12 November 9, 2019 4.761% 4.844%
13 November 15, 2019 3.623% 3.837%
14 November 16, 2019 4.283% 4.307%
15 November 22, 2019 3.900% 4.157%
16 November 23, 2019 3.951% 4.032%
Average 4.321% 4.445%
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

BW’s “compassion” for Hwi was actually mostly “guilt” we just didn’t know. And I actually like the twist because if you go back to all his previous scenes you can tell, the guilt (and also some form of paranoia of “losing Hwi) is present in all of his interactions with Hwi, from the moment he realized he was Seogeom’s son. It’s like he hoped with his whole dark heart that Hwi never found out the truth but he always knew that there would come a time they would have to part ways drastically. Just do the exercise of rewatching some of those scenes, its awesome.

What I DIDNT like is his unnecessarily extra cruel attitude in this last episode. But anyway, Bangwon is the same he was in the past and will continue be in the future (kinda sad, that his interactions with people don’t “change” or influence him much, he is so focused on his goal that people become expendable, ironically he is doing all this in order to “protect” the people, I guess thats the irony that makes me want to slap him) I don’t think his compassion was ridiculous, it is what made him “seem” like a human to me, but he is not the kind that will regret or stop, in favor of his “feelings”. His goal will always take priority. 

And finally, if he did not care for the people or the country, then there was no difference between him and YSG or NJ and therefore there was no reason to ever root for him (at least for me) If BW is fascinating is BECAUSE he is a human. If he was simply a monster then I would never care for his character at all. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

BW’s “compassion” for Hwi was actually mostly “guilt” we just didn’t know. And I actually like the twist because if you go back to all his previous scenes you can tell, the guilt (and also some form of paranoia of “losing Hwi) is present in all of his interactions with Hwi, from the moment he realized he was Seogeom’s son. It’s like he hoped with his whole dark heart that Hwi never found out the truth but he always knew that there would come a time they would have to part ways drastically. Just do the exercise of rewatching some of those scenes, its awesome.

Guilt and trying to make up to Hwi for killing Hwi's father. 

What I DIDNT like is his unnecessarily extra cruel attitude in this last episode. But anyway, Bangwon is the same he was in the past and will continue be in the future (kinda sad, that his interactions with people don’t “change” or influence him much, he is so focused on his goal that people become expendable, ironically he is doing all this in order to “protect” the people, I guess thats the irony that makes me want to slap him) I don’t think his compassion was ridiculous, it is what made him “seem” like a human to me, but he is not the kind that will regret or stop, in favor of his “feelings”. His goal will always take priority. 

I didn't understand this Bang Won too. Or maybe history Bang Won is also like this. He wanted so much to build a kingdom for the abandoned and he said he will not abandon his people and ......all those stuff. Why did he start killing then? What is writer wanting to present here? 

And finally, if he did not care for the people or the country, then there was no difference between him and YSG or NJ and therefore there was no reason to ever root for him (at least for me) If BW is fascinating is BECAUSE he is a human. If he was simply a monster then I would never care for his character at all. 

At the end, Hwi died for the people. Did BW have to kill Hwi? With SH dead, I'm sure Hwi would have gone to a faraway place with HJ and his bunch of friends to start a new life. Hwi won't be a threat to BW. So I don't understand why BW had to kill Hwi. It could be that BW had become like his father, suspicious of people who he thinks are a threat to his throne. BW ruled with an iron fist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

It's good for a cable drama. But, overall the rating keep dropping. It's stay steady for 6 week in 4++ rating but it's kinda drop to 3 in last 2 weeks. Guess viewers lost interest little bit.

Hahaha! Guess some people got confused with the story and left. We stayed on because of JH as Bang Won. I read that Vagabond had good ratings as compared to MC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

After Namjeon’s death the story of the two boys became super redundant since their “only goal” was Namjeon. I even felt that, what now? feeling when NJ died so I could understand the drop in ratings. 

Yeah it’s like after NJ died everything else became anticlimax. They should have kept NJ till the end. Ep 13-16 felt like a diff story arc altogether. 

thats probably why they can’t sustain the viewers. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

Oh, @Prettysup @The Reel LifeYou know, the chinese subtitle in hanjuwang.net and juji.net varies slightly. I was watching from hanjuwang previously. Now I rewatched in juji. Slight changes. I think the one at juji is easier to understand/read.

Oh really! I stuck to Juji so didn’t compare. It’s already hard enough for me, had to pause several times to understand and digest the words. And the words are quite jargony, didn’t feel like layman terms so it took awhile to understand. 

The ratings are average I guess. Not great but not terrible. But for the production value (KRW 20 mil?) I think they should hit at least 5-7% to consider a success. So technically not a success per se. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Yeah it’s like after NJ died everything else became anticlimax. They should have kept NJ till the end. Ep 13-16 felt like a diff story arc altogether. 

thats probably why they can’t sustain the viewers. 

Generally I think this drama is too short for this type of story. Hence, the writer probably have written alot but has to cut cut cut cut until the story became distorted or incomplete. If it had more episodes, viewers would be able to enjoy the more detailed story. The initial escape scene is one such example. In the same episode we had the escape scene, next minute no need to escape already. Suddenly change king already and BW became from a neat prince to an untidy prince is another example.   

Viewers who aren't particularly any of the artistes fans will definitely jump ship. The reason we stayed on is because of JH. If it wasn't because of him, I guess many of us would have abandoned the drama too. But I must say I enjoyed watching the king, the Queen (why I still think she looks like LMS), Nam Jeon and of course Bang Won. 

46 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Oh really! I stuck to Juji so didn’t compare. It’s already hard enough for me, had to pause several times to understand and digest the words. And the words are quite jargony, didn’t feel like layman terms so it took awhile to understand. 

The ratings are average I guess. Not great but not terrible. But for the production value (KRW 20 mil?) I think they should hit at least 5-7% to consider a success. So technically not a success per se. 

For me, I could read the words (most of it) but it's hard to reconstruct and put into english. You know right, it's not word for word translation so I had difficulty rephrasing. And I had to stop many times (sorry for these) because it was tiring to think. Hence, I had to keep on "to be continued"...."continuation from episode 16"......:sweat_smile:I know readers here had a difficult time reading my translation.

Comparing Chuno, TWDR, Gaekju, SOGC and MC, I really like his look in MC. I feel he really looks better as he aged. @Prettysup @azureblue7do you have a picture of him in the hairstyle that is half tied up and half let down? That is my most fav pic of him. I don't like him looking neat. 

So is this a big production? I kind of think (but I'm not sure) that MF is a big production too? The artistes there wore nice dresses, at least JMR and MH got nice dresses and shoes and bags while PJ and BC have nice suits. Grandpa got nice korean traditional outfit too. 

Keeping my fingers crossed that his new drama has better writing and not making us time jump all the time like MC. Actually JH has made me interested in the story of Bang Won. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

Oh, @Prettysup @The Reel LifeYou know, the chinese subtitle in hanjuwang.net and juji.net varies slightly. I was watching from hanjuwang previously. Now I rewatched in juji. Slight changes. I think the one at juji is easier to understand/read. :sweat_smile:

I might as well wait till Netflix get the English subs out. But frankly I am not interested in this drama enough to re-watch it. In fact I was hardly even bother to read the subs, only when @dramafan33 asked for the translation then I read the words carefully. I didn't even remember BW and Hwi had 2 conversations initially haha.. I am a bad viewer, I don't get invested as deeply in the story and dissect and evaluate the drama as you guys do here. To me, it's all dramaland.

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

Hahaha! Guess some people got confused with the story and left. We stayed on because of JH as Bang Won. I read that Vagabond had good ratings as compared to MC. 

You cannot compare MC to Vagabond. First, that was aired on SBS vs JTBC (cable). Second, that had a much bigger budget compared to this, with big A-listers leads compared to our 3 newbies, although this being a saguek will cost more actually. But frankly speaking, I think both dramas did worse in ratings than expected.

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

After Namjeon’s death the story of the two boys became super redundant since their “only goal” was Namjeon. I even felt that, what now? feeling when NJ died so I could understand the drop in ratings. 

Yes the drop coincide well with NJ's death.

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

It was promising in the beginning, but then .. I heard somewhere that they got a new scriptwriter who joined in the middle, not sure true or not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I might as well wait till Netflix get the English subs out. But frankly I am not interested in this drama enough to re-watch it. In fact I was hardly even bother to read the subs, only when @dramafan33 asked for the translation then I read the words carefully. I didn't even remember BW and Hwi had 2 conversations initially haha.. I am a bad viewer, I don't get invested as deeply in the story and dissect and evaluate the drama as you guys do here. To me, it's all dramaland.

It's good actually. So that you're not attached to any drama unlike some of us or only me, finding it hard to walk out of a certain drama. I still miss Pil Joo to this day. 

4 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

You cannot compare MC to Vagabond. First, that was aired on SBS vs JTBC (cable). Second, that had a much bigger budget compared to this, with big A-listers leads compared to our 3 newbies, although this being a saguek will cost more actually. But frankly speaking, I think both dramas did worse in ratings than expected.

No I wasn't comparing. I happened to read. I don't watch k drama without JH. Or rather I'm watching K drama because of JH. For fictional characters like Hwi and HJ and SH, it is difficult to maintain consistency in writing if the writers aren't experienced enough. As for BW, it's a historical figure so there is a guideline already.

Hope we will get to see him come out to promote his new drama. MC was too quiet on his side. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Comparing Chuno, TWDR, Gaekju, SOGC and MC, I really like his look in MC. I feel he really looks better as he aged. @Prettysup @azureblue7do you have a picture of him in the hairstyle that is half tied up and half let down? That is my most fav pic of him. I don't like him looking neat. 

So is this a big production? I kind of think (but I'm not sure) that MF is a big production too? The artistes there wore nice dresses, at least JMR and MH got nice dresses and shoes and bags while PJ and BC have nice suits. Grandpa got nice korean traditional outfit too. 

Keeping my fingers crossed that his new drama has better writing and not making us time jump all the time like MC. Actually JH has made me interested in the story of Bang Won. 

Haha just go google "Jang Hyuk long hair' and you get lots of pictures

MF is definitely not a big production, most of the filmings were done indoors. You cannot judge a drama's scale based on the clothes they wear, those are small money and they have sponsors anyway.

For big productions look at Vagabond : Overseas filming + A listers + Explosions etc etc..

MC is a saguek so it is not that cheap either considering those war scenes which you need lots of extras.

• Insightful 2

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Hope we will get to see him come out to promote his new drama. MC was too quiet on his side. 

It's far too quiet on his side. We just rarely commented on MC thread. lol. If we do i think half of the discussion is about him. hahaha. we choose to discuss it here instead.

I think the good saeguk that I watch this year is Nokdu Flower. It's base on real life event with a fictional character too. Have a big scale fight more than MC. Sometimes I like can count how many ppl into the battle in MC but they want us to believe they got hundreds. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1