6 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I don't think she would fangirl in front of Sam.. Sam will feel even worse.

Guess she just tried to steal glances at JH?Lol.  When JH asked for second helping, she just commented that he and the rest of them looked really poor thing..so starved..haha!

I wonder if there will be any movie press conference at all. A few drama and movie press conferences were cancelled recently in view of rhe situation.  Can they do a zoom or Vlive conference instead?

Yea, I agree especially if Sam specifically went there to prove himself.  Both to protect Sam and JH better not to display.  They still have to film together.  Plus it's Sam's day after all.

Hihi @azureblue7 you have so many collections of JH's moments.  It's great :approves:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@dramafan33@yoedaDon't get me wrong. I'm not doubting JH abilities in acting neither do I doubt his martial arts skills. My original question was I wondered why he wasn't offered a role in Queen Seondeok which is now an old fashioned drama but it was a good drama & a very big drama with all the awards in 2009. Let's return to year 2009.

@yoedayou mentioned Queen Seondeok was a female .....drama (sorry I forgot your original words). @dramafan33you mentioned he was busy, with filming of Chuno (sorry I too forgot your original words). (Please blame it on my old age memory).

Queen Seondeok was broadcasted from May to Dec 2009. Which means filming could have been in 2008 since it was a big historical drama with 62 episodes. Chuno was broadcasted from Jan to Mar 2010. Which means filming for Chuno could have been in 2009. Yes, JH may have been busy filming Tazza/Robbers in 2008 but not filming Chuno. Coming back to my original question, why wasn't he offered a role in such a big drama if he was already known in the industry for his action scenes? 

And @yoeda, given JH situation in 2008 when Queen Seondeok started filming, if he was offered a role, I don't think he would turn it down just because it's a female drama. In 2008, he was only just building up from scratch after his scandal, just had a baby, just held his wedding ceremony, I don't think he would be in a position (financial situation) to turn down a role just because it's a female drama.

With this, I agree with @Biology Lessonthat JH wasn't the 1st choice in Directors mind. Many Directors still didn't know his capabilities or even if they knew, he wasn't on their list. Even he wasn't a 1st choice in Chuno.

The question is why? Could it be because of his scandal & because many artistes still didn't want to work with him? Thankfully Chuno turned everything around for him & he's what he is today. Of course we'll never be able to know the answer but my original question was I was just wondering why he wasn't offered a role in such a big drama back in 2009.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

3 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Yea, I agree especially if Sam specifically went there to prove himself.  Both to protect Sam and JH better not to display.  They still have to film together.  Plus it's Sam's day after all.

Hihi @azureblue7 you have so many collections of JH's moments.  It's great :approves:

Really, her IG has always been my fav hang out place. :lol: She's a gem! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, yoeda said:

@Biology Lesson @dramafan33 both of you have a good discussion here. Ok here my thought maybe not 100 percent correct. Sorry if I miss the point.

I don't know that JH is not a first choice in Chuno? Wow. I have to google that to refresh my memory. From my reading the one that not the first choice is Lee Da Hae. The offer was being extend to Han Hyo Joo. So  it lead to another issue, the payment. HHJ side turn down the offer because the production doesn't come in term of her salary. She just starring in a successful drama, Brilliant Legacy that reaching 40% rating so I think her side want to demand more. So, here production can't fulfill her request coz this is a big production with many actors so I'm just glad they let her go. She's too young to be played a lead between the 2 male lead at that time. Here, I'm salty when the agency is being very ambitious when your star got a high rating you ought to demand more. Puhlisss, make it to 2 or 3 hit drama so you can negotiate and increase the payment of your actor. (Ok, I'm blabber her.lol) Never knew about LJK in here or is it only a fan opinion? LJK at that time doing action left and right compare to him. Ridiculously, I found he is the one not suitable to carry the slave hunter character compare to popular opinion. Haha.

I think it was JH that suggested offering the role to LDH, after the other candidates withdrew.  I don't know to say if she was lucky to be offered that role or not, as she got so much criticism for it, that eventually she felt the need to apologize, which is insane to me! I thought her role was awful, but it wasn't her fault. It was the production, writer and director that failed her. I read an interview with her she gave after the show finished airing, and the things she said were very insightful. 

I also read somewhere JH payment is consider big at that time. I thought he make 10 mil won per episode but still less compare to others (actor in other drama). Ok correction  just google it, 15 mil per episode. Lol. It is insane coz he got the same amount as Gong Hyun Jin, the supporting actor who I think have less screentime even comparing to OJH or LDH. But, he is an establish actor so maybe the payment make sense coz when I read about the casting ppl seem to recognize him and excited about him in there even more than JH as a lead. Lol.

But I just read that while JH offered to take have the salary, in his contract it was said that he will get residuals too. If the show would have failed, that would have meant nothing, but since the show was a success,  I think that ended up to be a lot of money for JH. Probably much more than what he would have gotten normally. 

I'm saying he is the action actor because how he always do his own stunt. Also when you watch the scene, in every drama come to romance or melo you already know the action is not the sake of an action. There's something there not just only a punch for a sake of a punch. There's art in the movement even in the untrain eyes like me know it's a real martial art. That JH for you. It's extend to the people around him and Chuno like seal a deal that he indeed an action actor that almost got him typecast.

I agree about JH being an action actor, and for sure his action scenes as a result come out looking great, but seeing QSD, it's clear that productions didn't aspire for believability in their fight scenes... For me, what make JH unique is the fact that, besides doing his own stunts, he also did the choreography! As a result the fight scenes in Chuno are several levels higher than those in QSD. Not only that, but he made sure that the fighting style that he used would be authentic to the time of the show AND would be different than the fighting style used by OJH's character, that was a soldier. Also, JH practiced with OJH to make him look better, something that not many actors would have done. From the interview with the director it's clear that he was glad that they ended up casting JH, but also that JH frustrated him a lot during filming (he called him "a nerd leech") as JH wouldn't just follow instructions...Which is why I'm a fan of JH :) 

• Insightful 3

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

@dramafan33@yoedaDon't get me wrong. I'm not doubting JH abilities in acting neither do I doubt his martial arts skills. My original question was I wondered why he wasn't offered a role in Queen Seondeok which is now an old fashioned drama but it was a good drama & a very big drama with all the awards in 2009. Let's return to year 2009.

@yoedayou mentioned Queen Seondeok was a female .....drama (sorry I forgot your original words). @dramafan33you mentioned he was busy, with filming of Chuno (sorry I too forgot your original words). (Please blame it on my old age memory).

Queen Seondeok was broadcasted from May to Dec 2009. Which means filming could have been in 2008 since it was a big historical drama with 62 episodes. Chuno was broadcasted from Jan to Mar 2010. Which means filming for Chuno could have been in 2009. Yes, JH may have been busy filming Tazza/Robbers in 2008 but not filming Chuno. Coming back to my original question, why wasn't he offered a role in such a big drama if he was already known in the industry for his action scenes? 

And @yoeda, given JH situation in 2008 when Queen Seondeok started filming, if he was offered a role, I don't think he would turn it down just because it's a female drama. In 2008, he was only just building up from scratch after his scandal, just had a baby, just held his wedding ceremony, I don't think he would be in a position (financial situation) to turn down a role just because it's a female drama.

With this, I agree with @Biology Lessonthat JH wasn't the 1st choice in Directors mind. Many Directors still didn't know his capabilities or even if they knew, he wasn't on their list. Even he wasn't a 1st choice in Chuno.

The question is why? Could it be because of his scandal & because many artistes still didn't want to work with him? Thankfully Chuno turned everything around for him & he's what he is today. Of course we'll never be able to know the answer but my original question was I was just wondering why he wasn't offered a role in such a big drama back in 2009.

Again

Chuno was mostly pre-produced, QSD was not. So no, QSD was not filmed in 2008. It aired as it filmed as most k-dramas and it even was altered based on audience’s reactions. 

Also, why would JH necessarily be approached for QSD due to action? QSD is not an action drama that required his ability for action. Neither UTW or KNG are action actors. Then I ask, why wasn’t Lee Jun Ki approached to act in QSD? I mean, Im sorry my friend but your question doesn’t make a lot of sense. There is no reason why the QSD team would want to approach JH necessarily. 

If he had been offered a role (which I don’t think he was) he would’ve likely turn it down because he already had his eyes on Chuno! Remember, Chuno took a long time from pre production to filming and it was heavily pre-produced (meaning almost half of it filmed before it aired) However he was not offered QSD so this is another moot point. Its not a matter of being first choice. He wasn’t even a choice! Not that anyone knows. 

But what Ive tried to express is that by 2009 Jang Hyuk was not some poor actor accepting whatever role was offered to him. I don’t know why you get this idea that he is a struggling actor who needs to work so hard (not that there’s anything wrong with that) But time has proven that JH is hardworking because its his nature and because he loves acting not because he “needs” to. He owns real estate. The man is doing ok. By 2009 he already had done Thank You and Tazza which already positioned him well within the industry. Those dramas did well and he was the lead in both. Chuno was a big boost in his career, of course, but its not like he was “struggling”. Im sorry but I really don’t understand where you get that from. It is also not accurate to say that “many artists didn’t want to work with him”. This is something JH feared while he was doing military service but even then he was offered Thank You and it was with Thank You that he successfully came back. By Chuno’s time he had already done three dramas and no one was “rejecting” working with him. 

You probably confused (or maybe Im misunderstanding) when Biology says JH wasn’t first choice, she is referring to Chuno not QSD. JH has no relation to QSD. At least I don’t know of any rumors about him even being considered for QSD. I’m not going to repeat the whole story about Chuno but again, JH was among the considered candidates for it, it was just either the writer or PD who wasn’t 100% convinced with him (or maybe some other executive? I don't recall) but anyway it wasn’t as “dramatic” as “nobody wanted him” or “he had to reduce his salary to get it”. No, he did ( likely, maybe?) get leverage by accepting to reduce his salary since he was that much in love for the role but he WAS already among the candidates considered for it. I am 100% sure JH convinced everyone from the first moment he stepped on that set. It was his acting and passion for Daegil that did the magic, not him being “on sale”. I saw his reducing his salary gesture as proof of how committed he was to this drama in particular not as a “he is so desperate for a job he’ll do this to get the role”. 

And back to your original question, a lot of good actors were not offered QSD, Hyun Bin wasn’t offered, Jung Woo Sun wasn’t offered, Ha Ji Won etc etc It really doesn’t mean any of those actors lacked anything, right? It just means they weren’t offered a role. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

28 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I mean, Im sorry my friend but your question doesn’t make a lot of sense. There is no reason why the QSD team would want to approach JH necessarily. 

Thank you. You did make me realise that my question doesn't make alot of sense. I was only just wondering...not arguing with anyone & definitely not doubting JH abilities in acting/martial arts.

But what Ive tried to express is that by 2009 Jang Hyuk was not some poor actor accepting whatever role was offered to him. I don’t know why you get this idea that he is a struggling actor who needs to work so hard (not that there’s anything wrong with that)

I've watched an interview in chinese way way back, that he said it was tough during that time. I guess is either the translation or the reporter misinterpreted his meaning of "tough" to mean financially. I didn't know he already owned real estate in 2009.

It is also not accurate to say that “many artists didn’t want to work with him”. This is something JH feared while he was doing military service but even then he was offered Thank You and it was with Thank You that he successfully came back. By Chuno’s time he had already

done three dramas and no one was “rejecting” working with him. 

Wasn't it that for TY, female leads didn't want to accept the role? In the end it was the FL of TY that accepted it. Oh well, I must be mistaken whatever I had read long time ago...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@budgerie Exactly, what he has mentioned more than once is that he will always be grateful to Gong Hyo Jin for accepting Thank You because at the time other actresses, especially big ones like her, would likely reject working with him due to the scandal. But this is what Im trying to say, by 2009 he was already back in the industry. I know the scandal stigma was likely still there but its not like he was in the same position in 2009 that he was right after finishing the military service. He was already on a better path precisely due to the success of Thank You and later Tazza. Robber (ironically a drama I love) was a hiccup. But anyway, he was still a lead in major network dramas, not some rookie desperate actor. JH gives off that desperate vibe because he is so addicted to acting and does not want to stop (although this long break he is taking now feels like an eternity) but he really, even then was in a much better position than other actors who have never been leads. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

50 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I've watched an interview in chinese way way back, that he said it was tough during that time. I guess is either the translation or the reporter misinterpreted his meaning of "tough" to mean financially. I didn't know he already owned real estate in 2009.

I vaguely remember I saw that interview too, eng subbed. The translation was sth to the effect of saying that it was "tough" for him. But I interpreted it as it was tough for him to come back as an actor after the army case and then being away for 2 years and having to face the public again in his new project as he wasn't sure how the public would view him or if they would accept him again. I never even thought about associating the "tough" with his finances. Somehow, it seems some quite popular 2nd leads are living quite comfortably, so for JH, I never question his financial position, and I was surprised he mentioned that having 3 children is not easy financially and that he does think about the possibility of not getting jobs. I thought that it was just him being humble. He may not be as popular as some hallyu stars but he is definitely an A lister actor. But there are so so many actors in SK and getting a good script with a good PD and writer and a good team is really not an easy feat and largely depends on luck too, this is what I personally think. My 2 cents. :blush:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

10 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Looking back at JH's transformation because I remember someone mentioned he was handsome in bts photos.  Although, like the person posted on this one I do wonder what he's thinking about here while looking in mirror.

Maybe "how do I get the best expression" for a certain scene or just simply zoning out? Hehe. So handsome, nevertheless. :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Ding77 said:

Maybe "how do I get best expression" for a certain scene or just simply zoning out? Hehe. So handsome, nevertheless. :kiss_wink:

Hihi I just thought it's funny here in the mirror pic he looks younger with the mustache then his younger look in the drama.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ding77 said:

I never even thought about associating the "tough" with his finances.

I guess I know why chinese media used to write him as having to earn milk powder money. It could be misinterpretation of his "tough" as being finances or it could be subtitles.

I was surprised he mentioned that having 3 children is not easy financially and that he does think about the possibility of not getting jobs.

The standard of living in SK can be high so I heard. Not to mention he got lots of mouths to feed, his own family of 5 people + his parents. And it doesn't help with covic still in the air.

I mean, who have guessed that 1 day, tourism/hotel/airline/entertainment + F&B would be so badly hit, of course other industries are badly  hit too.

But there are so so many actors in SK and getting a good script with a good PD and writer and a good team is really not an easy feat and largely depends on luck too

To a certain extent yes, you see even in C industry, all the new shows are the young artistes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie Exactly, what he has mentioned more than once is that he will always be grateful to Gong Hyo Jin for accepting Thank You because at the time other actresses, especially big ones like her, would likely reject working with him due to the scandal. But this is what Im trying to say, by 2009 he was already back in the industry. I know the scandal stigma was likely still there but its not like he was in the same position in 2009 that he was right after finishing the military service. He was already on a better path precisely due to the success of Thank You and later Tazza. Robber (ironically a drama I love) was a hiccup. But anyway, he was still a lead in major network dramas, not some rookie desperate actor. JH gives off that desperate vibe because he is so addicted to acting and does not want to stop (although this long break he is taking now feels like an eternity) but he really, even then was in a much better position than other actors who have never been leads. 

I find it hard to believe that he is taking such a long break now, so I will think that he is indeed secretly filming that noir movie.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I guess I know why chinese media used to write him as having to earn milk powder money. It could be misinterpretation of his "tough" as being finances or it could be subtitles.

The standard of living in SK can be high so I heard. Not to mention he got lots of mouths to feed, his own family of 5 people + his parents. And it doesn't help with covic still in the air.

I mean, who have guessed that 1 day, tourism/hotel/airline/entertainment + F&B would be so badly hit, of course other industries are badly  hit too.

To a certain extent yes, you see even in C industry, all the new shows are the young artistes.

So I guess we may hv different interpretation from the translation which may not be accurate to begin with. Haha. 

Exactly! My mom is into c-drama lately, and everytime I sit down to watch for a while with her, there are always new faces I've never seen before and some of them look like they are still on milk formula hahaha. Ok, I'm exaggerating lol. 

4 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I find it hard to believe that he is taking such a long break now, so I will think that he is indeed secretly filming that noir movie.

I hope u r wrong this time haha. Drama plsss :P

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ding77 said:

So I guess we may hv different interpretation from the translation which may not be accurate to begin with. Haha. 

Exactly! Subtitles may vary from english to chinese & vice versa.

29 minutes ago, Ding77 said:

Exactly! My mom is into c-drama lately, and everytime I sit down to watch for a while with her, there are always new faces I've never seen before and some of them look like they are still on milk formula hahaha. Ok, I'm exaggerating lol. 

They looked so fresh probably just out of acting school. The other day I was so bored so I just checked out some new C drama. Oh goodness me, can't do it. I can accept the actress being young but I can't accept the actor looked so young like in his 20s :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Yes...such a long break...missing him. I want to ask him the question below too "How are you doing? "...:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

5 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Yes...such a long break...missing him. I want to ask him the question below too...:joy:

And u hv been Oh Joon spamming quite a bit that I've been infected and hv started rewatching Robbers again haha. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

And u hv been Oh Joon spamming quite a bit that I've been infected and hv started rewatching Robbers again haha. :lol:

hihi I've been rewatching some stuff and I realize even JH's characters are such good actors.  MF, MC, TMWYS, Voice, he either pretend to be poison or hurt and even in Chuno when he faked being passed out.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1