1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I'm confused- what does this update mean? 

I looked at the trailer of the movie "In the mood for love" and this is a romantic Hong-Kong movie. The trailer told me nothing about the plot except for that.

His update means nothing(like always). :w00t:

No need to worry about plot thing of this movie because director is known for working without script.  He spends many years to develop his each work and then shoots for another couple of years in impromptu manner. It must be challenging to work with him because besides lack of script actors never know how much screentime they will have in the final product. :crazymad:

His movie In the Mood for Love is considered a masterpiece and he has sort of cult following among cinephiles. I've seen this movie a few years ago and I felt asleep 2-3 times in-between. I'm not sure if it was because movie was really boring or because I don't like adulterous themes or because I simply lack artistic sensibility.  On the positive side everyone can admire gorgeous cinematography of this movie.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

3 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

No need to worry about plot thing of this movie because director is known for working without script.  He spends many years to develop his each work and then shoots for another couple of years in impromptu manner. It must be challenging to work with him because besides lack of script actors never know how much screentime they will have in the final product. :crazymad:

His movie In the Mood for Love is considered a masterpiece and he has sort of cult following among cinephiles. I've seen this movie a few years ago and I felt asleep 2-3 times in-between. I'm not sure if it was because movie was really boring or because I don't like adulterous themes or because I simply lack artistic sensibility.  On the positive side everyone can admire gorgeous cinematography of this movie.

Sounds like a movie I should avoid. Artistic, meandering movies are not for me... But the director's work process sounds like something JH might like. Is this director still active today?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Sounds like a movie I should avoid. Artistic, meandering movies are not for me... But the director's work process sounds like something JH might like. Is this director still active today?

I think the viewers need to be "In the Mood of Watching Movie' to admire their artistic merits besides movies are simply more 'boring' and less straight forward medium as compared to tv.  You should not avoid this(and director's other) movie atleast for sake of beauty. Director is active and he has been 'developing' his latest movie for last 5 years. He also has quiet a following in India so every once in a while I read news that he is 'about to' start shooting. He gave a small role to Song Hye Kyo in his last movie and he generally works with similiar set of popular stars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Yes the movie has a cult following and is iconic in Asia. The two actors are also very prominent actors. I can see parallels between JH and Tony Leung too! I thoughtttt I read somewhere before that JH appreciates Tony Leung as one of the foreign actors he would like to work with but I could be wrong. 

@dramafan33 thanks for giving us insights into all the JH fan club origins! I truly wished I was closer to Korea and be able to experience what those fans experience. And yes the clay dolls were so cute, sad that it stopped before Bang Won! Do you know if gummi herself made those clay dolls or it was custom ordered?

@corey I think I’ve coaxed you many times that you should watch JH in variety shows because you will love him more than you already do now haha. If you do not have the patience for a whole season or multiple episodes, then I’ll recommend this one! (Sorry if I have, I can’t remember haha). I have watched this many times and his cuteness and humor really comes through in this one. You’ll also realize a lot of things we say about him can also be found here: 

Oh interestingly the girl in the variety video above, Han Chae Ah who acted with JH in Gaekju was supposed to get the role of Mo Hyun in MF but I think she turned it down (was it because she was pregnant then? Can’t recall). I always wondered who would have done a better portrayal of Mo Hyun. But anyway I did like Park Se Young in it, thought she did a decent job. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I think the viewers need to be "In the Mood of Watching Movie' to admire their artistic merits besides movies are simply more 'boring' and less straight forward medium as compared to tv.  You should not avoid this(and director's other) movie atleast for sake of beauty. Director is active and he has been 'developing' his latest movie for last 5 years. He also has quiet a following in India so every once in a while I read news that he is 'about to' start shooting. He gave a small role to Song Hye Kyo in his last movie and he generally works with similiar set of popular stars.

I think I know myself well enough by now to know which movies I enjoy, and these type of movies are not my thing. Beautiful or not.

However, your description of the director's method of work reminds me of Terrence Malick, the director of Days of Heaven, The thin red line, The Tree of life and others. He also has a very unique way of working and is known for the beauty of his movies. I know that when he filmed The thin red line, it was 30 years after he filmed Days of Heaven, and every big name in Hollywood wanted a role in that movie. He ended up giving small roles to the big stars and even cutting many of them completely out of the movie, he filmed a lot of footage beyond the script, much of it ad libbed, and in editing, ended up changing the lead from Adrian Brody, who was almost cut out of the movie entirely, to Jim Caviezel, who ad libbed much of his role. The embarrassing thing was that Adrian didn't know he was no longer the lead until he saw the movie... The thin red line is also known as a masterpiece.

At any rate, if JH admires this director, I hope he will get an opportunity to work with him.

2 hours ago, corey said:

It was really difficult not to dislike OYJ after that first scene IMO.

What I wanted to see from the very beginning of BM was JH outsmarting the rest of the people in the hospital. It is my favourite type of drama - when an underdog gets the upper hand in the end because of his/her ability, hard work/intuition - whatever feature was supposed to be a handicap in the beginning. And LYO had a really, really nasty handicap, being so abused as a child. I wish there had been more of this in BM.

To me, the moment in which I was won over by LYO was when he spoke to his father at home. The table flipping scene. I think that scene was brilliantly acted by both actors and it was the first time the nuance in the show was revealed. we suddenly saw that this is not simply an abrasive character that will undergo a change. In this scene we saw that he is much more complex, and who we thought was good or bad, may not be as we thought. That was the point in which I started rooting for LYO... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I'm confused- what does this update mean? Just random movies JH likes? I looked at the trailer of the movie "In the mood for love" and this is a romantic Hong-Kong movie. The trailer told me nothing about the plot except for that. Very strange trailer :)  but if JH likes this movie, than I challenge him- please do a similar romantic movie! 

Also- isn't it interesting that none of the movies he posted is Korean?

8 hours ago, corey said:

yes, same question here -  what it is supposed to mean?

If you remember, JH mentioned he likes to watch movies at home and he has a huge DVD collection of them. My guess it he was just random posting some of his favourites.

And as @fiesty8001 said, it just mean nothing, haha..

Actually I was thinking, maybe Swordsman is showing soon, that's why his mind is on movies??? 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

A fan translated the parts of Simon Dominic in the clips- https://www.instagram.com/p/CCOidXFpP7E/

Reading the translation to what this guy said, I was quite surprised :lol:. His short rant about sand getting into shoes (which was fascinating... :blink:), kinda reminded me of Anakin's rant in Star wars about how sand is coarse and gets everywhere... This show is going to be very silly, but kinda fun... ^_^

Also: According to Jane, there will be two episodes with JH, when the next one will be next Sunday... 

"The 2nd episode of Busan episode starring Jang Hyuk is scheduled for next Sunday!

More Hyuk means more happiness"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCii6U2pJyu/

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

A fan translated the parts of Simon Dominic in the clips- https://www.instagram.com/p/CCOidXFpP7E/

Reading the translation to what this guy said, I was quite surprised :lol:. His short rant about sand getting into shoes (which was fascinating... :blink:), kinda reminded me of Anakin's rant in Star wars about how sand is coarse and gets everywhere... This show is going to be very silly, but kinda fun... ^_^

I think so too! And Jane posted on her IG that there will be 2 eps with Hyuk!

Screenshot-20200712-191937-Chrome.jpg

Yeah!:happyshakes:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, corey said:

Ok, I admit I am defeated. I tried to watch the show that @The Reel Life posted above, I tried to watch the teasers with this new reality show and I am so sad to announce that I have zero interest in watching this :brokenheart:

I honestly tried. Much as I like JH, as handsome as he is, all these shows are something like soccer game for me,. I know millions love soccer, but I just cannot find it exciting or interesting seeing 22 guys running in a field occasionally kicking the ball. Here we have several guys in  a car, driving along and exchanging random comments. Hate ma all you like :tears:, I just cannot watch it.

You mean the interview in the Happy Together show? Just jump to the JH bits in the show. JH is hilarious in that interview as he developed a great rapport with the lead MC. and you also see his sweetness and seriousness. But if you really are not interested, don't force yourself. For each his own. 

But- does this means you have never seen a JH interview?

On 7/12/2020 at 4:05 PM, corey said:

I've seen bits and pieces. The one in which he smacks a guy whith such a force that the guy is literally blown off-screen?

That interview was actually very interesting to me as it shone a light on JH professionally. It revealed to me how he works, and his interaction with production. This was the interview in which I found out that before JH accepts a show, he first will sit with the production and list his "demands" work wise. Like in Chuno he asked for control over his fighting scenes. To me that was fascinating cause I wondered how he was able to maintain good working relations with the production while being so assertive on set. 

One that he is asked to pass a message to his wife (he was going away on location to shoot a drama).

And to tell you the truth, I am not interested. I am not interested in his private life. Of course I appreciate he is a great person, devoted husband and dedicated father, gentle, hard working, loyal to his friends. But I do not necessary need to know all these things to appreciate his work, do I?

There are lots of short clips on you tube showing the "net worth, lifestyle, car, girlfriend" of actors and JH also has one, and I was never tempted to watch.

I love his work, I love his creations, but I am just not interested in his private life.

If you are not interested, than you are not interested :) I won't argue with that. I guess you are not interested in any variety or reality shows either, right?

I will say that one thing that I like about JH is that he mostly keeps his private life, private. As you probably know, there are no pictures of his wife (except maybe three from their wedding) or children online. His wife never accompanies him to any industry event. Ever. JH is very strict about that. When he's asked about his private life, he will answer, but that's about it. This is why I actually don't like it when people discuss his marriage or children.

For me, the various shows he did help me better understand his professional choices. For instance, recently you spoke about the uglifying of JH, and I can say that reading his interviews it's clear to me that JH is the one that is responsible for the uglification of some of his characters, as he said that his face prevented him from obtaining roles he wanted. So I gleaned a lot of professional information from those interviews and shows.

But, as I said before, it was only after I saw The dragon club that I officially called myself a JH fan. Beside his acting talent, I also came to admire his dedication and self management. I can actually say that I've been inspired by him personally as I actually took up boxing, as I like the idea of exercising and obtaining a skill (also, if it will allow me to eat like he does, even better :) ), and also I started to wake up at 6:00 every day and go out for a walk. So, to me, JH's personality is part of the reason why I'm his fan...

But again, for each his own... :D

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 5:15 PM, corey said:

I would definitely watch such an interview! I am very interested in his working process. Like - who as the most say over the final character - like the discussion we had about the LYO - or whose idea it was the in SOGC JH acted like LG in FTLY. Yes, this is fascinating.

Than watch the episode, it's a really interesting interview, though in the beginning it is more about messing with JH. But this was the first interview in which I saw JH is not as soft and gentle as he come across sometimes- he seemed sharp, intense and a bit scary. It was HWASIN: CONTROLLER OF THE HEART EPISODE 15. There are subtitles, but only for the first half the episode...

Maybe I should blame my short atetntion span, but in the interview posted by @The Reel Life the interviewers said - "the topic of today's interview is ten symbols of longevity" and then the guests arrived and I  thought, I am soooo not interested in symbols of longevity. Maybe it is the style of interviewing that puts me off, I can't quite put my finger into it.

I will admit that when I first saw that interview I simply skipped to the JH parts. Here, I will bump you to one of my favorite parts, of JH hilariously lying :) but there are several other funny/interesting moments...

I still want to see the Real Men, but I cannot find it online...

You can find Real men on YouTube. All the episodes are there. This is the first time he showed, and here you simply flow with the episodes, though there actually is translation of ep 9-10 on some sites..

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:12 PM, corey said:

Ha ha, I watched a bit. The funniest moment was when the interviewer asked JH if he wanted to ask him anything and JH said no.... Also - Did you notice JH's body language? The interviewer was constantly leaning towards him and JH was backing away as much as he could without appearing to be rude.. And also gently rocking from side to side as we had noticed before.. After watching this bit I have a feeling that he honestly hates interviews and only does it because it is required of him because of the promotion of his shows....Or at least hates this one... That is why he is fooling around and telling fibs... but deep in his heart he would rather be at home with his family....

I didn't notice him backing away. He is kinda leaning away from him... :) JH often says he is rather reserved, and one of the funny thing some of us noticed is that people tend to touch him, within minutes of meeting him. It's just something about him...

I agree that JH doesn't like interviews, or at least the overly happy, funny interviews. You might notice that here at a certain point, he actually says that he is finished with his part and that this is exhausting. The requirement to be funny clearly tires him as he is naturally serious. Later in the interview you see him going serious. It's clear he was seriously apologizing to one of the MCs he met in a show in the past. I noticed that also in the interview in Radio Star. It was clear that he was making an effort in the beginning to be funny, and then, after a while, he subsided to his serious self... 

I ca't believe I did not find it , I was actually looking  for in on youtube....thank you

No problem. The lack of subs is a bit annoying, but it's still quite interesting

• Like 1

Haha thanks @Biology Lesson for posting the specific JH section of Happy Together. @corey it’s fine if you didn’t enjoy the show, to each their own. I personally enjoyed it hehe. I like seeing JH’s light hearted side and unintentional humor, it helps me connect with him as an actor beyond just what I see in shows and that’s my preference! But I understand some people prefer to just appreciate their direct acting works. Like @Biology Lesson what I get mostly from his interviews and variety shows is actually not just the “fun bits”, but they are actually insights into how he is as an Individual which Shines light on his professional decisions - it gives me context as to why he chooses certain works or characters, and how he views his craft, which is very fascinating. Perhaps, if you don’t enjoy variety, you should really still watch his interviews (eg. Promos for shows or post show interviews). These will give you the most insights into his work ethics and mindset and for me, I enjoy the process of him working towards the outcomes (drama and movie works) just as much as the works itself, because it is that process and thinking that breathe life into his works. 

unfortunately we can’t Link IG posts anymore, because some of @azureblue7’s older IG posts contain so so many interviews he’s done! 

• Like 3