I've been watching a few clips of SOGC, and even though I enjoyed it's funny parts, it's indeed filled with cringey moments. It's one of the only show I'd say JH's acting wasn't that good throughout. But this moment, this small moment from the beginning of the show when his mother screams at him, is amazing! Seeing the deep pain in him, so quietly expressed. No shouting, no over the top crying, just the edge of his lips pulled down, his chin scrunched and eyes filled with tears, while he's fighting them... Just great! I haven't seen many Korean actors being able to do this genuine physical characteristic of crying. I've seen many actors and actresses try to fake the shaking chin thing, but rare did it feel real- Image

https://twitter.com/hyuk20190110/status/1332148168121675776

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, corey said:

@Biology Lesson,  I am glad you appreciated SOGC! And I respectfully disagree with JH not acting good throughout!

Oh, I didn't mean that he wasn't good at all. SOGC Is one of JH's shows that I like, after all. :)  But there were many moments in it that were cringey to me, I can't deny that. One scene that I thought was horrible was the scene in which Wang So thought the girl was dead. His crying was fine, but the way he shouted "Kebong" ruined that entire scene for me! or the scene in which he is in the brothel after "kebong" left and he's imagining kebong is still there. In that scene there was over acting, though I did love the quiet moment at the end, when he touched the chin of the imagined "kebong" and tried to kiss him. That was sweet. Another horrible moment was in the prison, when the girl was feeling bad, and Wang So was trying to reach her through the bars, acting like he can't, while it was clear that if he only inserted his arms lower through the bars he could have reached her easily. That scene made me roll my eyes. Hard... 

People are complaining about this Lee Gun acting mannerisms in SOCG, but it always baffled me - why ? He acted this way because he was acting as So So. We wanted to pretend to be this loud clumsy goof so as not to reveal his identity as Wang So. And he succeded! I always admired how different his acting was when he was talking to his associate as Wang So, the steely eyes, fierce intelligence, intense gaze.

I also don't understand the comparison between Wang so and LG. :huh: I didn't feel like they were similar at all. It's just the same actor playing them. All in all, I liked Wang So, he was a complex character. 

If anything, his role as Lee Gun in FTLY gives me more cringes than SOGC. I must really re-watch it one of these days...

As to FTLY having more cringey moments, I don't agree with that. There were several moments that didn't work for me, like the crying in the car moment- again with the yelling while crying :crazy:. But that was shorter, and I think better presented. And I think most of the really over the top moments were edited out or presented better. FTLY was a better produced show for sure, and JH's performance in it is still, for me, his best performance.

I have been meaning to watch SOGC again, but I admit that if I will, I will probably stick to the first part of the show, in which they didn't know who Wang so was. That part was more amusing to me. All the court machination and plotting in the second part really bored me... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, corey said:

@Biology Lesson,  I am glad you appreciated SOGC! And I respectfully disagree with JH not acting good throughout!

People are complaining about this Lee Gun acting mannerisms in SOCG, but it always baffled me - why ? He acted this way because he was acting as So So. We wanted to pretend to be this loud clumsy goof so as not to reveal his identity as Wang So. And he succeded! I always admired how different his acting was when he was talking to his associate as Wang So, the steely eyes, fierce intelligence, intense gaze.

If anything, his role as Lee Gun in FTLY gives me more cringes than SOGC. I must really re-watch it one of these days...

In my case, I watched both FTLY and SOGC as they aired, and the quirky acting he had done in FTLY felt new. It was surprising, shocking even to some and annoying to many too (of course) but I personally loved that JH was so committed to the craziness of that character. When he did SOGC right after FTLY that kind of acting no longer felt new. I felt like the exaggerated “villain laugh” got stuck on him (and it did for more future works, kinda faded in later works, fortunately) I did not appreciate the “grandpa voice” either like I said, once was funny but I felt it was too repetitious after FTLY. At first it felt like JH was purposely channeling Lee Gun (he said “Ding Hao” on the first ep) but later I felt it got better in general but it was not devoid of bad moments. Especially the most “dramatic” scenes. Some worked and some definitely didn’t. I always felt that drama was very uneven, and felt direction-less. In general, I appreciate JH continues to evolve as an actor and that lately he has gone in a more “restrained” , subtle direction (although all extremes are frustrating, as I feel there was almost too much restrain in “Tell me what you saw”)  

• Like 5

Just now, corey said:

What I mean is that Wang So as So So was acting in a similar manner to LG - the laugh, the way of speaking, the shouting of Gae-bong-a. Meaning when he was pretending to be So So. Wang So indeed was a complex character. And TBH, once he FL knew that he is Wang So I stopped watching. I just checked the ending then. And then I decided there is really no point in further watching because I will only get furious at such an ending.

I thought he was goofier in SOGC :) There is a scene or two after he was found out that were nice, like this one- JH's mumbling to himself cracked me up :D also Wang so tendency to first yell and then suddenly switch to quiet mode, but all in all you weren't missing much- except for JH looking super hot! :hwaiting2:

Just now, corey said:

And you think JH's acting was restrained in TMWYS? I think it was very much in character. I mean, think about it, this guy was restrained enough, he pretended to be in wheelchair for five years, one really cannot get any more restrained in his/her action....:D

Completely agree! I'm still hoping for a TMWYS prequel... I'm optimistic  (or delusional) that way :)

Just now, corey said:

I miss seeing JH on screen. Cannot realy get myself to watch this Yacht Expedition... I want a new character!

Though I'm thoroughly enjoying Yacht expedition, I too miss seeing him doing a new character... I was thinking that Yacht expedition is like that yellow pepper JH was given to calm his hunger while they were waiting on the beach for the rest of the cast in episode 3. It's light and nice, but it's not enough to fill you up :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, corey said:

I haven't been posting much lately, so I seem to have missed the news - but is he filming a new film?

And no news on any dramas, right?

Yep, filming a new movie playing a ruthless gangster, no less :) It look like the filming of the movie is nearing it's end, so I'm hoping for news about a new project soon. I'm still hoping for something for netflix, and not a regular K drama. 

BTW, jane just posted this translation of an exchange between JH and the actor that finished filming yesterday- I think the first comment is from JH, the second is the actor's reply-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIFIDp7ppLZ/

jane17827

앗ㅎㅎㅎ
이런 이런 우리 배우님
이런 귀여움이시라니
으힣힣하힣힣

“You are the one who gave sincerity to the work~ Cool~^

“You are more cool, Sunbaenim(senior). It was an honor to work with you and thank you so much”

훈훈한 멘트들
Heartwarming comments for each other

• Thanks 2

@corey I think his acting in TMWYS was perfect! His “restrained” acting is my favorite kind of acting. He expresses deeper emotions when he doesn’t go over the top but part of me was hoping OHJ the character had a breakdown at some point, I wanted him to go all out nuts, at least once. 

I miss him too. I haven’t continued with the Yacht show. I will at some point but rn I miss his acting so much. After I finished My Mister (which was very deep and compelling but VERY SLOW paced) I joined the Chuno rewatch from Kfangirl’s blog and I am loving it again. The drama looks so good on Viki. I missed watching it in such good resolution (for some reason it didn’t look as good on Amazon (?) weird) and I love the OST and his performance. Im excited to the point that I don’t even get bored with the parts that I used to fast forward. Anyway, I don’t invite you to the rewatch because I know you are not a fan of this drama but if anyone else wants to join, the discussion in the blog is actually very interesting. Chuno has so much going on, the historical context and themes, that its definitely more enjoyable to watch slowly and in a group

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2020/11/18/open-thread-chuno-episodes-1-2/?amp#more-42994

• Like 2
  • Love 1

'Yacht Expedition' Jang Hyuk “Exercise habitually, wake up two hours before the filming day."

202011291019286710-2-20201129102432221.j

Yacht Expedition: The Beginning' Jang Hyuk shows his self-management.

In the 6th episode of MBC Every1's 'Yacht Expedition: The Beginning'  broadcast on November 30, Jang Hyuk, Heo Gyeong-hwan, Choi Yeo-Jin, and Soyou are drawn in the morning at Eocheong Island, a clean and clean island. In the midst of this, Jang Hyuk boasted of 'beauty passionate exercise' by waking up early in the morning and training his body.

In the released photo, Jang Hyuk is silently engaged in movement with the beautiful scenery of Eocheong Island behind. This is a scenic spot that can only be accessed by climbing a huge staircase as it has a good view. Jang Hyuk is said to have perspired by jumping rope, doing dumbbell exercises, and practising boxing, which he normally enjoys.

It is known that Jang Hyuk, a reputable sports enthusiast in the entertainment industry, enjoys martial arts such as Jeet Kune Do, boxing, and fitness. Earlier, he discovered an iron bar installed on a yacht and immediately gave a laugh as he tried to exercise.

Jang Hyuk said, “I do (exercise) habitually,” and said that even on the day of filming the broadcast, he got up and exercised for 2 hours before filming. On this day, Jang Hyuk finally removed the microphone and started exercising with a lighter and more comfortable body. The staff admired Jang Hyuk's passion for movement, which seems to be ending, and then foreshadows laughter by saying that he was exhausted from filming and withdrew.

Jang Hyuk was incredibly perfect and serious when exercising, but it was said that he had an unexpected accident while taking a shower after returning to the yacht. He amplifies curiosity about what kind of accidents may have happened to Jang Hyuk.

'Yacht Expedition: The Beginning' will be aired at 8:10 pm on the 30th, in which Jang Hyuk's self-management end-game face is revealed, even in the beautiful morning scenery of Eocheong Island.

Translated from source https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/312/0000464190

• Like 5

11 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey I think his acting in TMWYS was perfect! His “restrained” acting is my favorite kind of acting. He expresses deeper emotions when he doesn’t go over the top but part of me was hoping OHJ the character had a breakdown at some point, I wanted him to go all out nuts, at least once. 

I miss him too. I haven’t continued with the Yacht show. I will at some point but rn I miss his acting so much. After I finished My Mister (which was very deep and compelling but VERY SLOW paced) I joined the Chuno rewatch from Kfangirl’s blog and I am loving it again. The drama looks so good on Viki. I missed watching it in such good resolution (for some reason it didn’t look as good on Amazon (?) weird) and I love the OST and his performance. Im excited to the point that I don’t even get bored with the parts that I used to fast forward. Anyway, I don’t invite you to the rewatch because I know you are not a fan of this drama but if anyone else wants to join, the discussion in the blog is actually very interesting. Chuno has so much going on, the historical context and themes, that its definitely more enjoyable to watch slowly and in a group

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2020/11/18/open-thread-chuno-episodes-1-2/?amp#more-42994

Thanks! Even though I'm not joking the group watch , I love reading the discussion and comments about show and Daegil! Very interesting.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I open a new Instagram account and req to follow Ajincome. And today he accepted me. Wow. I'm shocked. 

Its because he made his account public again but it might be for a short time so this is great that you requested him. He is playing peekaboo with us :yum:

• LOL 4

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Hyuk's account is set to public again. I wonder why he kept switching between private and public...hahahaha!

Maybe he's promoting his movie again or some other project...crosses fingers.

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

I open a new Instagram account and req to follow Ajincome. And today he accepted me. Wow. I'm shocked. 

It was meant to be :).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

'Yacht Expedition' Jang Hyuk “Exercise habitually, wake up two hours before the filming day."

Haha even the filming crew was too tired to follow him lol.

I wonder what accident did he meet in the shower? He should come out naked for us to see haha...

6 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Hyuk's account is set to public again. I wonder why he kept switching between private and public...hahahaha!

He cannot make up his mind haha

3 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Maybe he's promoting his movie again or some other project...crosses fingers.

Ahhh I hope so too!!

• LOL 3

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I wonder what accident did he meet in the shower? He should come out naked for us to see haha...

If I'm not mistaken this would the first time he showers in that shower stall, so considering how narrow it is, he probably broke something in it or banged his head on something :)  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

He cannot make up his mind haha

Ahhh I hope so too!!

His filming crew needs to be as fit as him . He climbed one hundred over stairs to reach his exercise spot and then 2 hours exercising. I wonder if he would start feeling tired in the afternoon.. :joy:

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

If I'm not mistaken this would the first time he showers in that shower stall, so considering how narrow it is, he probably broke something in it or banged his head on something :)  

So there are a few possibilities:

1) Broke the shower head or  door while showering jeet kune do style.

2) Water supply stopped midway while showering (like what Soyou experienced the previous time) 

3) Forgot to bring his clothes into the shower

For  scenario 2 and 3, he would have to come out wrapped in a towel...lol!

• LOL 5

10 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

His filming crew needs to be as fit as him . He climbed one hundred over stairs to reach his exercise spot and then 2 hours exercising. I wonder if he would start feeling tired in the afternoon.. :joy:

Probably :) lucky for us, tired and spacing out JH is also cute! 

2) Water supply stopped midway while showering (like what Soyou experienced the previous time) 

Hmmm... I'm liking scenario 2 and 3, don't know why... :hwaiting2:Shame on us, and here I am- trying to pretend my interest in JH in purely intellectual... 

• LOL 2

27 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Hmmm I do love scenario 2 and 3. My imagination is starting to run wild hahaha:lol:

• LOL 4

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

Hmmm I do love scenario 2 and 3. My imagination is starting to run wild hahaha:lol:

Haha maybe we shouldn’t set our expectations too high as the news had always shown to exaggerate the actual content in the show haha.

Btw I don’t think it’s his first time using the shower, just that they didn’t show the earlier ones 

12 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Hyuk's late night post.

Some ppl say that the vibe in filming River’s Grave must be very good that caused him to open up and post more nowadays. The director just posted an IG story of them eating chicken and Hyuk was talking about eating hot meals during filming 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Haha maybe we shouldn’t set our expectations too high as the news had always shown to exaggerate the actual content in the show haha.

Btw I don’t think it’s his first time using the shower, just that they didn’t show the earlier ones 

Some ppl say that the vibe in filming River’s Grave must be very good that caused him to open up and post more nowadays. The director just posted an IG story of them eating chicken and Hyuk was talking about eating hot meals during filming 

Yes, agree that the news can be exaggerated. Still hopeful that it can show the cute side of him again. haha!

I think so too!  Really happy to know that he is enjoying himself  filming the movie. I think we can see it from the comments left by the director and the exchanges of comments between he and his co stars as well.

• Like 2