Help Desk :D (SM Entertainment Auditions)

_RaiN_

Just to give my opinion on (7) and (10) :

7) There is not specific type of voice that anyone looks for, unless your in a choir or something. Whether you are a soprano or alto, if you train your voice up really well, that is one less reason that they cant accept you for. And also, your voice is not something that can be changed on will? So just love your voice and take good care of your vocal chords they are so important for a singer.

10) Worry on the current stuff, like getting through to the next round of auditions in which ever way you are auditioning. How many years you will spend as a trainee is totally up to the company. Although you get to sign a contract and stuff, they can terminate it any time. So just focus your time and worries on training building up good vocal and dance :)

Goood Luck :)

I liked your tips ^^ Would've typed it up myself, but then I would've gotten carried away and typed a whole essay xD

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vikkisunhahaha

okay so for the finaly round u go see lee so man? like how picky is he? if you are not as good as snsd/f(x) ur doomed? o.o

okay so for the finaly round u go see lee so man? like how picky is he? if you are not as good as snsd/f(x) ur doomed? o.o

Hmm, it's not a 100% chance you'll get to meet him. He sometimes show up and he sometimes he just doesn't, I reckon you'll be lucky if he doesn't show up because you wont be under as much pressure. He's not as picky as everyone says he is, he just points out what you need to improve on and he'll judge you like normal, if he doesn't pick you it doesn't mean you're not talented or you're not pretty, etc. It probably just means that he doesn't see the K-Pop Star in you, but don't give up. 

Wow, this thread is really gonna help me!!

1. I'm super short, like 150 cm. Would that be too much of a disadvantage?

2. I'm Indian, with light brown skin, again, too much of a disadvantage?

3. If I dance to a remix of a K-pop song, like SHINee's Replay with a strong hip-hop beat, with different choerography, is that better?

4. Please critique the picture provided ^_^

ghjgykigik.jpg

I shall be back with more questions oh wise one!

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

3. If I dance to a remix of a K-pop song, like SHINee's Replay with a strong hip-hop beat, with different choerography, is that better?

1. Being short is not necessarily a disadvantage. They mostly will judge you if you are well proportionate. From your picture You seem a little thick (chubby) around your lower body area IE: the thighs, butt and lower stomach. The ideal look that SM seems to go for is the tall, gamine, waif-like body figures for girls (think of Audrey Hepburn). Since losing weight around the lower body area is alot harder than the upper body, the judges will take that into consideration when they critique you. Remember that since this a company the first thing they will think is "how much will it cost to train this person?" Most of the time they will not pick girls who are a little thick because they don't want to waste time on a trainee solely to lose weight. I'm thick myself (I drink milk like it's water lol) so I need to lose some weight too. So don't be discouraged by this and just audition.

2. Your ethnicity will definitely be a disadvantage when you audition. SM Entertainment picks only East Asian people for now. They pick them because they know what works and sells in Korea so they haven't picked South Eastern Asian...Yet...I think in the future they might venture their company into India and other South Eastern areas of Asia. So they might pick a South Eastern Asian in the future but at the present I doubt it'll be a possibility.

3. If anything SM Entertainment doesn't care too much on a chroeographed dance routine anymore. If anything they judge more on freestyle dancing than a choreographed one. The reason is because freestyling is much more harder because you have to improvise on your moves to the given the song you are dancing to. While Choreographed dancing is rehearsed so anybody can dance to a choreographed dance move with the given practice and training. If you are dancing for Youtube, email or mail auditions then a choreographed dance piece is fine. But if you are thinking of auditioning live at their 2012 Global Auditions, dancers are not allowed to dance to a pre-arranged choreography. SM Entertainment will only solely judge you through their rythm testing at their Global Auditions next year. They said if you bring a CD to dance to they will throw it away, so don't bring a dance music CD with you to the live Global Audition.

4. And for the most part you are cute but you are rather chubby. You look like you are around 14 years old right? So don't be too hard on yourself about you weight since you are still growing. If anything practice the category you want to dance to and don't go into this audition with high expectations. Cuz the higher you fantasize, the harder the reality will be.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

is 172cm too tall for a girl? :o

also, what does sm put more emphasis on, singing or dancing?

lol the taller the better lol ^_^ And SM Entertainment is mostly known of rgreat dnacers than actual singers. That's why they put more emphasis on the dancing.

Guest 9hellokitty

If you can sing "Ain't got you" by Alicia Keys, can dance better than beginners but not extremely good, have some of the points that SM want (I think) like clear/clean skin, double eyelids, small/oval face, fair skin and you are skinny, what are the chances of you getting in for at least the first round?

Is it true that if you are pretty in your country people's eyes, in Korea it might be different? Or if you are ugly in your country's people's eyes and in Korea its different?

Will ask more questions if there is a need to!~

Guest Barack Obama

If you can sing "Ain't got you" by Alicia Keys, can dance better than beginners but not extremely good, have some of the points that SM want (I think) like clear/clean skin, double eyelids, small/oval face, fair skin and you are skinny, what are the chances of you getting in for at least the first round?

Is it true that if you are pretty in your country people's eyes, in Korea it might be different? Or if you are ugly in your country's people's eyes and in Korea its different?

yep

and it's not just about having the right features.. it's about how the features work together.. all the kpop idols have double eyelids, clear skin, small/oval face, etc, but some are still considered prettier than others because of how their features work together. some idol's features work better together than other idol's.

Guest andoneheadcanneverdie

Could someone tell me what to burn onto a CD to send via mail? Would it be just an audio/vid track of singing if that's what you're auditioning for, or do you need to upload a clip of yourself dancing as well?

Guest krystaliu

1. I think that's on the WAY shorter side of any SM artist, but it should be okay? It would be a disadvantage, but probably not a huge one. x___x I think the shortest anyone in SNSD or 2ne1 or those popular kpop groups would be 158 cm or so? And that would be Sunny, but she has the fact that her uncle is LSM himself. xD You should still try, though.

2. Okay, that's a disadvantage. -___- Generally, bigger companies (and all korean companies) tend to pick Asians that look like Koreans, so that they're marketable. Like, although I'm not really born in China or anything, I'd feel sort of pissed if "hey this random person came from America and is now getting so much popularity here". IDK, because darker skin isn't really the "korean/chinese/japanese" standard of "beauty", so that's a... sort of big disadvantage. D:

3. It's probably better, but it won't be too different. I'm pretty sure SM is looking for people who are ummmmmm let's say good with their rhythm? So of course, since hip hop would incorporate a lot of rhythm, it's good, but it's not gonna be huge or anything. >_>;;

4. Um, yeah. I WILL REFRAIN, BECAUSE I'VE ALREADY SAID ENOUGH THINGS. i'm such a horrible critique'r, haha. >_<;;

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah. I'd assume if you can sing songs with either REALLY high notes or REALLY deep tone (you know, Xtina style :D) it'd be easier to get in. Plus with the clear/clean skin, double eyelids, small/oval face, fair skin/skinniness, it's pretty likely that you'd get in for the first round, but I wouldn't know for sure. :| After all, I've never auditioned.

Definitely true about your second point. I'm totally confused as to why so many Koreans think Minho/Siwon/Yoona are pretty, but when I ask my Korean friends they're like, "oh, yeah, he looks really nice." or "she looks pretty?" and I just don't get it. -____-;; so yeah. but generally the standards are pretty universal. i mean, you might be pretty in korea, but you might NOT be pretty in china. usually though, if you're pretty in china, you're pretty in korea too. xD cuz china->korea standards are pretty similar, but my mom's chinese and she... HAHA IS RACIST doesn't think that many koreans are pretty, so... yeah. >_< DONE. lol

1. I think that's on the WAY shorter side of any SM artist, but it should be okay? It would be a disadvantage, but probably not a huge one. x___x I think the shortest anyone in SNSD or 2ne1 or those popular kpop groups would be 158 cm or so? And that would be Sunny, but she has the fact that her uncle is LSM himself. xD You should still try, though.

2. Okay, that's a disadvantage. -___- Generally, bigger companies (and all korean companies) tend to pick Asians that look like Koreans, so that they're marketable. Like, although I'm not really born in China or anything, I'd feel sort of pissed if "hey this random person came from America and is now getting so much popularity here". IDK, because darker skin isn't really the "korean/chinese/japanese" standard of "beauty", so that's a... sort of big disadvantage. D:

3. It's probably better, but it won't be too different. I'm pretty sure SM is looking for people who are ummmmmm let's say good with their rhythm? So of course, since hip hop would incorporate a lot of rhythm, it's good, but it's not gonna be huge or anything. >_>;;

4. Um, yeah. I WILL REFRAIN, BECAUSE I'VE ALREADY SAID ENOUGH THINGS. i'm such a horrible critique'r, haha. >_<;;

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah. I'd assume if you can sing songs with either REALLY high notes or REALLY deep tone (you know, Xtina style :D) it'd be easier to get in. Plus with the clear/clean skin, double eyelids, small/oval face, fair skin/skinniness, it's pretty likely that you'd get in for the first round, but I wouldn't know for sure. :| After all, I've never auditioned.

Definitely true about your second point. I'm totally confused as to why so many Koreans think Minho/Siwon/Yoona are pretty, but when I ask my Korean friends they're like, "oh, yeah, he looks really nice." or "she looks pretty?" and I just don't get it. -____-;; so yeah. but generally the standards are pretty universal. i mean, you might be pretty in korea, but you might NOT be pretty in china. usually though, if you're pretty in china, you're pretty in korea too. xD cuz china->korea standards are pretty similar, but my mom's chinese and she... HAHA IS RACIST doesn't think that many koreans are pretty, so... yeah. >_< DONE. lol

Umm... Sunny from SNSD is like 155cm and 158cm with heels, people can still grow, height can be a disadvantage, but you can always wear heals if you're a girl, or if you're a boy... eat your vitamins? Dance is always welcome in K-Pop companies, only if you can do it with passion and  you actually know what you're doing. Singing songs with high ranges in notes wont make it more beneficial for you, actually, it'll only lower your chances, because you need to pick a song that's suited for your voice and a song that's comfortable for you to sing.

Those features that you've mentioned are probably what they're looking for, I highly doubt an applicant can have ALL of those features, so they'll pick up what they think are your flaws, and they'll put it into consideration when you're auditioning.

Guest simply_m

hey long timme..

well i was wondering how do you apply to go to the sm audition global one? do you have to apply online? make a video send it to them and they'll reply back if they want you to be there at the global audition? or do you just walk into the audition then fill out a paper like how you would do like at the weekly audition they have in L.A.

how many picture do i have to send? and what should i send? my face? or my whole body?

is the audition gonna be the same. like into a room with 9 other people. or different?

thank you.

i'm just so excited but scare that there's a deadline(dateline) to deal with here.

ASAP please...

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

hey long timme..

well i was wondering how do you apply to go to the sm audition global one? do you have to apply online? make a video send it to them and they'll reply back if they want you to be there at the global audition? or do you just walk into the audition then fill out a paper like how you would do like at the weekly audition they have in L.A.

how many picture do i have to send? and what should i send? my face? or my whole body?

is the audition gonna be the same. like into a room with 9 other people. or different?

thank you.

i'm just so excited but scare that there's a deadline(dateline) to deal with here.

ASAP please...

^ You don't have to register online. It an open audition meaning it's not closed off to the public so even walk in people can audition. Also just to clarify if you want to register DO NOT SEND YOUR VIDEO WITH EMAIL lol sorry for caps locking :P But I wanted to emphasize that if you want to send in your video to them, you have to audition through YouTube, and they have their own youtube channel to forward your video to, so don't send an email with a YouTube video attached because they will just delete it.

Also if you go to this link SMtown.com it has the instructions to register. For picture send a picture of a headshot and full body. Don't send pics of yourself in weird angles, bad lighting and poor resolution.

Guest asdfghjkl1

here's a vid of me singing/dancing... btw im vikkihahahaha ... new account >.< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHktPaZV7fw please just tell me if i have any kind of talent in singing/dancing >.> im really not sure ... thank you! (yuppp this is how TANNED i am ... c'mon its tennis season... LOL)

Guest 9hellokitty

here's a vid of me singing/dancing... btw im vikkihahahaha ... new account >.< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHktPaZV7fw please just tell me if i have any kind of talent in singing/dancing >.> im really not sure ... thank you! (yuppp this is how TANNED i am ... c'mon its tennis season... LOL)

Hehe, I know don't worry about the tan just as long as you become whiter or something its fine! :)

Anyway, you can sing well and your dancing seems good.

Good luck to you!~

Guest 9hellokitty

Asking again...

If you want to send the post (not email), I want to include my audition video inside in the CD that you asked me to. Will they not see it? Cause I heard that nowadays even if you put the CDs or send in clips they will not accept it and they only use youtube or something. I'm not doing global auditions but instead, I'm doing those weekly post audition for USA/Korea. And for your age, do you put Korean age or your normal age?  I know this is a really weird question but how can people improve their dancing or choreograph moves ETC. ? For Hip Hop since SM usually looks out for that. And if you only know basic korean language or is still learning, is it better if you send to the USA post? How do they judge??? Is it really very hard to pass the rounds?

Thanks, gomawo, arigato, merci.

Archived