Help Desk :D (SM Entertainment Auditions)

_RaiN_

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest druella

I've only looked through a few pages, so I apologize if you've answered these questions before. I'd appreciate it if you'd answer them.

1.) I'm caucasian, and I can't speak Korean. I know that I'm at a huge disadvantage because of that. Do you suggest I even try to audition?

2.) How much do they care about prior experience? I've performed locally and am a member of an advanced, competitive choir. I also took dance lessons as a child, and I can sight-read music. Would that make any difference to them?

3.) Would you recommend I go to the live auditions or do it by email? I'm on the East Coast, and the only time I'm ever in L.A. is when I fly out to visit my sister. That's once in a blue moon.

I've only looked through a few pages, so I apologize if you've answered these questions before. I'd appreciate it if you'd answer them.

1.) I'm caucasian, and I can't speak Korean. I know that I'm at a huge disadvantage because of that. Do you suggest I even try to audition?

2.) How much do they care about prior experience? I've performed locally and am a member of an advanced, competitive choir. I also took dance lessons as a child, and I can sight-read music. Would that make any difference to them?

3.) Would you recommend I go to the live auditions or do it by email? I'm on the East Coast, and the only time I'm ever in L.A. is when I fly out to visit my sister. That's once in a blue moon.

It's fine if you've asked question(s) that have already been answered, I'm always here to help people so it's cool :D

Of course you audition, it's not a big disadvantage at all, it's just that they'll put into consideration that they'll also need to teach you Korean if you pass the auditions. If you don't want to audition because you can't speak Korean, it's like saying you can't go to China because you can't speak Chinese, so it's fine. Victoria and Amber from F(x) didn't know Korean and even right now, they're still learning. 

Well, the more experience you have in your audition field of expertise the better, judging from what you said, it's obvious you've had plenty of experience in the singing and dancing and you're probably a person who has singing and dancing skills which are above average due to your past experience. It would make a great difference as they'll know that when you become a trainee, you'll require less time to learn as you already know the basics.

Haha, funny :) I like that. I recommend you do both, email auditions are very unlikely to be answered (saying this from personal experience) and live auditions give you a better shot at it.

I hope I helped :D And if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

_RaiN_

Thanks so much!I tried to space them, but something went wrong and I couldn't fix it!!

No problems, if you have anymore questions, feel free to post them here :)

Guest druella

Thanks for your help. I think I'll send in an email audition, and when I'm out in L.A., I'll head to the live audition. My mom has been wanting to go out there anyways, so we'll see. ;)

Do you know if they're holding them in New York? I could get there in a few hours for a day trip.

Guest Lydiara

I have so many more questions >< Sorry ^^'

1: I will be auditioning through e-mail, someone I talked to on Yahoo! Answers said to wait a month and if they don't get back to you resend, is this how long it typically takes to get a response?

2: I play viola, I was going to put a tape of that in, along with my singing and dancing, anything I should make sure to include to raise my chances?

3. I am in the I AM project, this is my video, if you have the time could you give me a review on my dancing? I'd like to know what to improve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFYbrDBpNHU&context=C3a6bfdbADOEgsToPDskL9hL7cG3Qjh-OAixCiTNY8

4. If they want me to come audition in L.A, since the Global Auditions are coming to Chicago, should I go there after, or would I have to go to L.A?

Thanks for your help. I think I'll send in an email audition, and when I'm out in L.A., I'll head to the live audition. My mom has been wanting to go out there anyways, so we'll see. ;)

Do you know if they're holding them in New York? I could get there in a few hours for a day trip.

No problem, I'm not sure if they have it in New York or not, you can check Youtube for that :)

Guest starzXshinee

I have a silly question . . . >.>

Does it matter if your looks could be a bit deceiving?

For example, I like to dress sweetly/ girl. Basically, I wear frilly dresses and skirts.

I rap and my rapping voice fits the bad girl profile more than the good girl type profile. Think Gilme or CL is a baby doll dress. It just does not match.

The only reason I am asking this is because I remember reading that one company likes it if the auditioner's voice matches the way they look.

Guest AzureJay_Sky

I have just two questions:

1.If people like me(who lives in other country and can't travel)can't go to the auditions, then what is better:

a)Use the youtube,

b)Send by e-mail or

c)send by mail?

2.Do they even see the videos on youtube or their e-mail?

I have a silly question . . . >.>

Does it matter if your looks could be a bit deceiving?

For example, I like to dress sweetly/ girl. Basically, I wear frilly dresses and skirts.

I rap and my rapping voice fits the bad girl profile more than the good girl type profile. Think Gilme or CL is a baby doll dress. It just does not match.

The only reason I am asking this is because I remember reading that one company likes it if the auditioner's voice matches the way they look.

No questions are silly :) 

In my books, if a person could have deceiving looks, I reckon it's pretty cool. SM Entertainment probably wouldn't care if your looks are the complete opposite of your singing style, dance, etc. as long as you have the looks they want then it's fine. They'll probably even continue to make you be more, "deceiving" if you pass the auditions. This is also positive because if you're in Variety shows, you can say, "I can easily deceive people with my looks as I dress all nice and pretty, but my singing and dancing style the complete opposite." Then the MC would probably say something funny.

In conclusion, don't be worried about it :) 

I have just two questions:

1.If people like me(who lives in other country and can't travel)can't go to the auditions, then what is better:

a)Use the youtube,

b)Send by e-mail or

c)send by mail?

2.Do they even see the videos on youtube or their e-mail?

Two questions are fine :D

1.) If you can't participate in Global or Weekly auditions then I reckon it's best if you audition through Youtube, why? Youtube is a good choice to audition because they can see you in a video perspective and they can judge you like you're right in front of them (assuming you have a good mic and HD Camera). 

2.) They absolutely do watch the videos for Youtube, that's why they keep uploading the videos of the people who auditions on Youtube. By e-mail I highly doubt they check anymore, when e-mails were first invented their inbox would be filled with over 10 or maybe even 40,000 e-mails everyday, they have found some trainees through e-mail auditions but it's rare for that now.

I hope I helped, if you have anymore questions just ask.

_RaiN_

I have so many more questions >< Sorry ^^'

1: I will be auditioning through e-mail, someone I talked to on Yahoo! Answers said to wait a month and if they don't get back to you resend, is this how long it typically takes to get a response?

2: I play viola, I was going to put a tape of that in, along with my singing and dancing, anything I should make sure to include to raise my chances?

3. I am in the I AM project, this is my video, if you have the time could you give me a review on my dancing? I'd like to know what to improve.

4. If they want me to come audition in L.A, since the Global Auditions are coming to Chicago, should I go there after, or would I have to go to L.A?

Doesn't matter how many questions you have, I'll try my best to answer them! :D 

[i've removed the video link for private personal reasons]

One month is not how long it takes for them to respond, some people have received e-mails within the first week they've send their e-mail (it's really rare now). The one month time period is simply to give them some time to filter through all the emails they've received everyday. 

In the video, you should make it no longer than 3 minutes (I'm pretty 5 minutes is alright) and in that 3 minute (or 5 minute) you have to include: An introduction of yourself, How long you've been learning your instrument (if you're learning one), how long you've been dancing/singing, why do you want to become a K-pop star, why did you audition for SM Entertainment and not the other companies, etc. All of those information about yourself so the judges can judge you. Those things should give the judges 100% things to judge about you, so they wont hesitate whilst deciding because you've filled out all of the required information.

3. I am in the I AM project, this is my video, if you have the time could you give me a review on my dancing? I'd like to know what to improve. 

I'm not sure what the, "I AM project" is, but I'm guessing it's a dance crew. The ways you can improve the dance, is by filming your full body, so people can see the entire choreography and not just the upper half of it, a HD Camera would be highly recommended to filming anything because if you use a low quality camera, it'll distort the image and the sound quality. Good dance overall. 

SM Entertainment will probably send you to the closest available location for your auditions, so if you live near LA then they'll call you over to LA, but if you live closer to Chicago, then they'll call you to go to Chicago. 

I hope I've helped you and if you have anymore questions just ask :)

_RaiN_

[Didn't mean to double-post, I forgot to click multi-quote!]

Guest BlancCrayola

Hi! I have a question about the acting part of auditions. How long does each individual get? What kind of emotions do judges want to see portrayed? Also, the script itself....does it have to be well known? Can it be self-written (like a snippet) or..what? x3

Thanks~!

Hi! I have a question about the acting part of auditions. How long does each individual get? What kind of emotions do judges want to see portrayed? Also, the script itself....does it have to be well known? Can it be self-written (like a snippet) or..what? x3

Thanks~!

Hi, if you have a question, I'm here to answer it :)

The judge will probably say, "Please begin when you're ready" I'm not really sure about the exact time they'll give you. The reason for this because the judges can stop you at any time during any part of your script. Yes, the script can be self written. It'd be recommended to get a well known script as those kind of scripts can require a more advanced talent of acting.

Guest kyoko131

HI! i was wondering if you could recommend me some songs to sing! i still am unsure of what to sing and im panicking alittle bc i still dont have an idea....

HI! i was wondering if you could recommend me some songs to sing! i still am unsure of what to sing and im panicking alittle bc i still dont have an idea....

You should sing a song that's comfortable for you. I'd recommend Waiting outside the lines by Greyson Chance, it's not a super hard song to sing but it's got some good vocal parts in it. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Daikenki

I've got a question! I've tried asking questions on yahoo answers but they don't seem to be useful :/

OK, here are the questions.

What is a E-mail audition basically?

http://audition.smto...10.asp?Lang=eng

^^^^

1. Cause it says here that there's an application form you have to fill out and you have to send it to them so you know which time and date you can go to the audition in the city. Does that mean In order to participate in the global auditions, do I have to send them an e-mail application first or can I just do a direct application at the global audition since I'm going to the global auditions in Toronto on March 10th.

2. I heard that SM looks for 80% talent and 20% looks. Is that true? (Here's a story: I think I look pretty decent looking but my teacher (she's a female) says I look beautiful which I like but it's really embarassing when she says that lol. I once put my hair up in a pony tail and she said that I looked beautiful and it would show more of my beautiful face. She also said that I looked beautiful when she drove me to the spelling bee. I've had creepy awkward moments with my teacher.)

3. How long does it usually take to wait until the time comes when you audition in front of the judges and 9 other people? 

4. Is it ok if you bring a friend along to the audition even though she only wants to do it for fun?

5. I'm a decent singer but I sing very quietly. Is there any way that I can project my voice?

I've got a question! I've tried asking questions on yahoo answers but they don't seem to be useful :/

OK, here are the questions.

What is a E-mail audition basically?

http://audition.smto...10.asp?Lang=eng

^^^^

1. Cause it says here that there's an application form you have to fill out and you have to send it to them so you know which time and date you can go to the audition in the city. Does that mean In order to participate in the global auditions, do I have to send them an e-mail application first or can I just do a direct application at the global audition since I'm going to the global auditions in Toronto on March 10th.

2. I heard that SM looks for 80% talent and 20% looks. Is that true? (Here's a story: I think I look pretty decent looking but my teacher (she's a female) says I look beautiful which I like but it's really embarassing when she says that lol. I once put my hair up in a pony tail and she said that I looked beautiful and it would show more of my beautiful face. She also said that I looked beautiful when she drove me to the spelling bee. I've had creepy awkward moments with my teacher.)

3. How long does it usually take to wait until the time comes when you audition in front of the judges and 9 other people? 

4. Is it ok if you bring a friend along to the audition even though she only wants to do it for fun?

5. I'm a decent singer but I sing very quietly. Is there any way that I can project my voice?

FINALLY SOME QUESTIONS!! :D I've had these knowledge locked up in a dusty cupboard for ages! 

1.) If you're going to participate in the Global Auditions, you can directly just sign up at the location, if you send them an email, you can just avoid the queue, so therefore, you'll get in easily, the application is exactly the same as the one you receive when you go to the Global Audition location.

2.) To be honest, that's the case for almost every entertainment agency (not necessarily 80% looks and 20% skills). They of course want you to have looks that're above average but that doesn't mean they'll throw down the expectations of the skills to that low, I reckon it's more like 60% looks and 40% skills, because if you don't have the skills then what's the point of having you in the agency. So it's not true, and my opinion is, everyone is beautiful/handsome/etc. in their on unique way, that's why the our world is so entertaining everyday, because we can meet unique people with unique personalities, not one person in the world is similar to another. So just be confident in yourself and you'll be fine! :D

3.) It all depends how early or late you arrive at the location, you can wait up to 8 hours but if you come REALLY REALLY early you probably have to wait for like 30 minutes - 1 hour.

4.) Of course it's OK to bring your friend(s) over if she (or he) would just want to audition for fun, but you never know, your friends might have what it takes to be the next K-pop star (:

5.) There is only one way to sing with a projected voice, and that's the sing confidently, you can't really project your voice in any other way, and don't be afraid of people listening, if you can show confidence and that you're not afraid of showing people things it's an advantage. 

I hope I helped !! :DDDD If you have anymore questions feel free to ask ^___^

_RaiN_

Guest nighmare_carousel

I hope it's okay for me to interrupt to ask a few questions...though they're actually more of opinions because you've answered many questions and I found some of my own through research too, haha

1.) For the appearance aspect of auditioning: I am Asian - but southern. My parents are both from India but I'm  very pale skinned - I mostly get mistaken for being Persian because -  not to sound egotistical or anything - my skin is pale and my looks are  kind of...exotic I guess might be the word..? Here in Canada I've been asked about modelling since I was very young and when I went to Korea a few years ago, I was repeatedly complimented on my looks and told that I had many features that were desirable by most Koreans. There was even a small group of my peers - including a teacher - that wanted to get me onto that show that used to air that had foreign women chatting about their lived in Korea, so basically, I'm fairly sure appearance wise, I might be set...

2.) Given that I'm kind of a "foreigner" in a sense because SM seems to have mainly East Asian talents, I scrapped the idea of auditioning solely for modelling and thought I'd take some dancing classes so that I would have another talent to show because here's the thing - I don't need to be a limelight star for SM. This may sound weird, but my main reason for wanting to work for SM is because of the way that they push the people that work for them. I know many people think it's cruel, but that kind of hard work and dedication is something that I crave - I would be more than happy to just be a background dancer for these guys...is that even a possibility? Or do they look for lead talents only?

3.) I'm a fair bit older than most people that audition and I know that that will work against me. The only advantage in this respect for me is the fact that I'm actually constantly being mistaken for being anywhere between 5-8 years younger than I am :P (I'm tall and slim - 5'10" - but I guess something in my face makes me look younger) so I even thought about skipping mentioning my age when/if I submit my audition so that they wouldn't be off put by it and only mentioning it if asked - do you think that's a fair idea?

4.) The Global Auditions are coming to Vancouver this upcoming Wednesday and even thinking about it is making me shake in nerves so that I keep mistyping too...I'm determined in a way that I think most aren't to be a part of S.M. but...I think I'm afraid of rejection...any words of advice? I mean, I understand the idea of rejection and that it's likely, so maybe I should word it this way: I'm afraid of being rejected before even being given a chance....

So...what do you think? Are my chances are close to none? I thought to practice harder a little longer and submit through YouTube a dance routine once I'm 100% confident because I've been sick for the last month and unable to practice, but at the same time, because of the factors that work against me, I keep thinking that a live audition would be better. ...

edit: I forgot to mention - I'm fluent in one Indian language, as well as English. I learned french for 6 years and with a refresher easily remember all that I learned again, and while living in Korea, I picked up the language there really fast too. I've forgotten a fair bit since I've been back in Canada a couple of years now, so I'm not completely fluent, but I still know a fair bit (ie. I can carry on a decent conversation) so if that helps in answering any of the questions I've asked....

Thank so much for your time ^^;

I hope it's okay for me to interrupt to ask a few questions...though they're actually more of opinions because you've answered many questions and I found some of my own through research too, haha

1.) For the appearance aspect of auditioning: I am Asian - but southern. My parents are both from India but I'm  very pale skinned - I mostly get mistaken for being Persian because -  not to sound egotistical or anything - my skin is pale and my looks are  kind of...exotic I guess might be the word..? Here in Canada I've been asked about modelling since I was very young and when I went to Korea a few years ago, I was repeatedly complimented on my looks and told that I had many features that were desirable by most Koreans. There was even a small group of my peers - including a teacher - that wanted to get me onto that show that used to air that had foreign women chatting about their lived in Korea, so basically, I'm fairly sure appearance wise, I might be set...

2.) Given that I'm kind of a "foreigner" in a sense because SM seems to have mainly East Asian talents, I scrapped the idea of auditioning solely for modelling and thought I'd take some dancing classes so that I would have another talent to show because here's the thing - I don't need to be a limelight star for SM. This may sound weird, but my main reason for wanting to work for SM is because of the way that they push the people that work for them. I know many people think it's cruel, but that kind of hard work and dedication is something that I crave - I would be more than happy to just be a background dancer for these guys...is that even a possibility? Or do they look for lead talents only?

3.) I'm a fair bit older than most people that audition and I know that that will work against me. The only advantage in this respect for me is the fact that I'm actually constantly being mistaken for being anywhere between 5-8 years younger than I am :P (I'm tall and slim - 5'10" - but I guess something in my face makes me look younger) so I even thought about skipping mentioning my age when/if I submit my audition so that they wouldn't be off put by it and only mentioning it if asked - do you think that's a fair idea?

4.) The Global Auditions are coming to Vancouver this upcoming Wednesday and even thinking about it is making me shake in nerves so that I keep mistyping too...I'm determined in a way that I think most aren't to be a part of S.M. but...I think I'm afraid of rejection...any words of advice? I mean, I understand the idea of rejection and that it's likely, so maybe I should word it this way: I'm afraid of being rejected before even being given a chance....

So...what do you think? Are my chances are close to none? I thought to practice harder a little longer and submit through YouTube a dance routine once I'm 100% confident because I've been sick for the last month and unable to practice, but at the same time, because of the factors that work against me, I keep thinking that a live audition would be better. ...

edit: I forgot to mention - I'm fluent in one Indian language, as well as English. I learned french for 6 years and with a refresher easily remember all that I learned again, and while living in Korea, I picked up the language there really fast too. I've forgotten a fair bit since I've been back in Canada a couple of years now, so I'm not completely fluent, but I still know a fair bit (ie. I can carry on a decent conversation) so if that helps in answering any of the questions I've asked....

Thank so much for your time ^^;

1.) There's no question here.

2.) I crave the thing that you do as well, which is being pushed passed your current level of skill. You can audition for modelling if that's what you look for, but if you show great talent in either: Dancing, singing or acting, they'll probably give you big roles.

3.) I think you shouldn't do that, they'll immediately think, "It's either they forgot, or they're just old and embarrassed to put their age." So even if you know your age will be a con in your application, still put it and don't mind it lowering your chances, if you show great talent and dedication to your field of profession, your age wouldn't matter as much. 

4.) Word of advice, never think of it that way. If you keep thinking negative, nothing will stop you, but yourself, if you walk in that audition hall confidently and without fear, you'll be at your best, which will obviously give them the best impression of you. Even if you get rejected, it doesn't matter, at least you got the experience and you'll know what areas to improve on! Take every audition as an opportunity to further improve from your current state, and people learn better from losing instead of winning, so don't be too troubled if you get rejected. Getting rejected before you're even given a chance is not possible at all, they'll always give you a chance, because your application might show that you're older than normal, your skills could say otherwise, so always try your best during auditions (:

You should really attend the live audition as this is the best way to try out. It's good you're multilingual, this will always help.

I hope I've helped you and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask (:

_RaiN_ 

Archived