Quantcast
_RaiN_

Help Desk :D (SM Entertainment Auditions)

I hope there's no hint of sarcasm in that reply because it's hard to discern certain linguistic subtleties on online as opposed to real life. 

In any case, I was just offering my two cents and contributing to the discussion.

Furthermore, I assume that the reason that many emails are left unread is due to the fact that they cannot read every single e-mail, and because the rate at which messages are sent to the designated S.M. email account is incredibly high, this causes people seeking to be chosen through this method to be ignored and thus accumulates the grievances of the artistically talented community.

I thank you and anyone else contributing to this discussion for offering to help the Soompi community and potential stars who wish to learn more about their desire agency ( Personally this doesn't apply to me as I plan on going to college etc. )

Aha, sorry if what I typed sounded rude, I didn't intend to have any sarcasm in it, and thank you for thanking me (if that makes sense..:D) And I hope you have a good time at college and get good grades!! (I'm getting good grades but study doesn't interest me in any way...). 

Anyways, I'm always here to help if you're in need of it! :D

For the singing part should i do a full song or do the chorus/most powerful part of the song?

also is it ok if i dance, sing, rap and than do rhythem test? i heard you have more time at the L.A weekly auditions and thats where im going ^^

also can u list the procedures/steps in their auditions

For the singing part should i do a full song or do the chorus/most powerful part of the song?

A: Yes it is best if you sing the chorus/ "most powerful" part of the song, as this wont bore the judges, and show them you're real talent, don't forget to practice the song at least 1 hour (or more) a day and make sure you know the song off by heart. My tip is to pick a song that suits your voice and it's not hard for you to sing and remember.

Is it OK if i dance, sing, rap and than do rhythm test? i heard you have more time at the L.A weekly auditions and thats where I'm going.

A: I see you are very talented in the singing category as you can: Sing and rap, if you know what your strongest point is then I recommend picking that for the audition, if you want you can pick all three. I'm not quite sure if you can still do the rhythm test if you've already danced for the auditions, I mean, if you dance and you tell them it's freestyle, they should know where your skill level is, but I haven't been to the auditions so I wont know. Yes, it is true that you have more time at the L.A Weekly Auditions, good luck and I'm very jealous of you! :D

Can you list the procedures/steps in their auditions?

A: 

Email Audition:

1. If you apply via Email or Post they'll send a reply telling you the date of when they want to see you, and you'll have to do a live audition to prove that the one in the video is actually you.

2. If you can't make it on that day cause you're probably flying to the country to audition or something then you simply tell them to change to a day were you're available. If you're able to attend that day then you simply drive, walk, take a train, etc. to the location of the auditioning hall. The address for the LA audition hall is 4322 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90010 but I'm not sure about the Korea one.

3. When you arrive nicely dressed and no make up on your face or anything done with your hair then there will probably be a person to guide you to the private room where you will audition (there will also be other people there auditioning).

4. You'll probably be the last one to audition as you're a private one, and they need to examine your skills separately.

5. They'll record you while you're doing whatever you auditioned for, singing, dancing, acting, etc. 

6. They'll ask you some questions like, "Out of all the other companies why did you choose SM Entertainment" or "How old are you", "How long have you been doing this", etc. etc. 

7. They'll greet you goodbye and you can choose to stay in America if you want to or you can fly back. If they like you they'll give you a phone call by tomorrow and they'll have a staff meeting with Lee Soo Man (The founder of SM Entertainment, hence the name SM standing for Soo Man). And if he likes you, you'll proceed to the second round of auditions.

8. In the second round of auditions you basically just go over the process again but this time with the people who passed the first round of auditions. 

9. The process of this round are the same, as in they'll have a staff meeting if you should advance further, etc.

10. If you pass the second round of auditioning then you'll audition in front of Lee Soo Man himself to prove that you're worthy of becoming a trainee in the company. 

11. If you pass the round with Lee Soo Man (Seems impossible as he's really tight), then he'll call your parents for a tour around the company and you'll be able to meet some of the SM Artist (obviously the famous ones). 

12. He'll present to you the SM Ent. contract and signing is up to your parents so if they don't sign it then you don't get in but if they do sign it then you're lucky.

My tip is if before you audition you have to make sure your parents wont change there mind somewhere in between as this would be a incredible waste of money and time. Make sure this is really want you want to do, as when you become a star you're going to have to put up with A LOT of hard and heart crumbling training to become successful, a lot of SM trainee's have quit as they are concerned about their studies. And it's not 100% sure that you'll debut so better have a backup plan if you fail.

Weekly Auditions:

1. Walk in the auditioning room. Which is located at 4322 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90010

2. Wait in a line to fill out your audition form.

3. Get your number tag and wait for your turn to audition with the other 9 people in your group.

4. When it is your turn a girl or a guy will call you to go to the auditioning hall/room where you will stand within the marked area on the floors.

5. The person with the lowest number starts first (eg. you're 1 - 10 then number 1 would start first and it'll work it's way up).

6. You will walk up and introduce yourself (Don't explain your life story to them), say your number tag and your talent/what you're going to be doing.

7. Do what you auditioned for (eg. dance, sing, act, etc.).

8. After you're done you wait for everyone to finish auditioning while you're still standing on stage.

9. You would probably have a rhythm test after everyone is done with what they're doing, a rhythm test is when they play a music with a clear beat to it and you can choose to dance to it or you can just clap to the rhythm.

10. If you do outstanding in the audition you will be asked to stay behind.

11. The judges will ask you questions like, "Please move your hair from your ear, forehead, etc. so we can take a picture", "Out of all the other companies why did you choose this one?"

12. After you're done they'll say thank you and basically you'll wait for their call (If they REALLY want you, they will call during the next day).

After they call you, you'll have to audition once again but this time with the people who made it from the first round. And the process will be repeated.

But if you pass this audition it will require you to fly to Korea for the final round of auditioning, where you will audition in front of Mr. Lee Soo Man himself (Lee Soo Man is the founder of SM Entertainment hence the name "SM" stands for "Soo Man"), and trust me auditioning in front of him is 50 times harder than passing the both the first and second round combined. If Soo Man wants you then he'll have a staff meeting and call you either the next day if he does or just say no if he doesn't, and if you fail the Korea audition round you'll have to pay for your airline ticket back.

If you got accepted you and your parents will get a tour around SM Entertainment HQ, and you'll get to meet some of the artist and Lee Soo Man will explain to your parents what will happen to you when you are a trainee, then if your parents choose to sign the contract then you're lucky. If not then you basically just wasted your whole time auditioning for nothing.

My tip to you is to make sure you have a talk to your parents about this, and make sure and I mean MAKE SURE this is what you want to be doing.

And good luck as a trainee cause you'll be putting up with a lot of work. 

I hope this helped. 

Remember to practice hard! :D

And don't forget to post your  experience! 

How long does SME, JYP, DSP, CubeEnt, jtune and pledgis reply to your emailed audition?

I sent my email around may 4th and it's already been a month now, but I haven't recieved any kind of reply whatsoever. It makes me wonder if they really do check people who send their videos via email. Anyway any kind of input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How long does SME, JYP, DSP, CubeEnt, jtune and pledgis reply to your emailed audition?

I sent my email around may 4th and it's already been a month now, but I haven't recieved any kind of reply whatsoever. It makes me wonder if they really do check people who send their videos via email. Anyway any kind of input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nowadays e-mail audition is useless , they wont check your e-mail . 

Damn it , they having a global audition in kazakhstan , i think they don wan asian anymore 

A: Like wenfrecrixs said nowadays they don't really check their emails anymore as it must have flooded with talents that they're not interested in so therefore it leaves an impression that the email auditions are not worth the time checking as they are not up to the talent (Not saying everyone is bad, it's just that maybe all of the ones they saw were of low quality and it leaves them the impression that they shouldn't check it). When the email auditions first came out, A LOT and I mean A LOT of people who got AMAZING talent auditioned through it such as: HyoYeon - SNSD, she danced well...that's all I know :P 

But still try your luck with the email! And if you live in LA or Korea go to the weekly auditions and give it a shot! :D

Mostly they would take 1 month to reply if not then they obviously haven't checked or they don't think your talent if good enough for them. 

I know that you have about a 15% - 25% more chance of getting accepted through Weekly or Global auditions then from Email ones.

But don't give up, practice hard and never stop dreaming.

I hope this helped.

Im really confused ^^; some people say that when you become a trainee you go to korea to train only during school breaks like winter, spring and summer break. other people say you move to korea and live in dorms while your a trainee...so does it depend on the person?? sorry about all the questions ^^ do u work with kpop companies?? u know so much~

Im really confused ^^; some people say that when you become a trainee you go to korea to train only during school breaks like winter, spring and summer break. other people say you move to korea and live in dorms while your a trainee...so does it depend on the person?? sorry about all the questions ^^ do u work with kpop companies?? u know so much~

Aha, no I don't work with any KPOP companies and in fact I'm very young .__. I've just researched a lot to get all of this information. 

And no, for the people who say you only train during school breaks...that's a lie. As soon as you become a trainee in SM Entertainment you'll have to leave your family (they could come with you but they'll have to pay for their own airline fee's), to live in Seoul; Korea to train. You'll probably attend a foreign high school if you're not fluent in the Korean language, you'll be placed in dorms with roommates (most of the time some of these roommates are going to debut with you if they see that you both are a good mix, and you stay with roommates of the same gender). 

And yeah...that's pretty much it, you basically have to move to Korea; Seoul (they'll pay for your flight and your flight only), and you'll attend a foreign high school till you graduate then you can choose to go to University or not (most KPOP artist don't but it's best if you do, because if you fail then you always have education). 

I hope this helped and if you have anymore questions just ask :D

Aha, no I don't work with any KPOP companies and in fact I'm very young .__. I've just researched a lot to get all of this information. 

And no, for the people who say you only train during school breaks...that's a lie. As soon as you become a trainee in SM Entertainment you'll have to leave your family (they could come with you but they'll have to pay for their own airline fee's), to live in Seoul; Korea to train. You'll probably attend a foreign high school if you're not fluent in the Korean language, you'll be placed in dorms with roommates (most of the time some of these roommates are going to debut with you if they see that you both are a good mix, and you stay with roommates of the same gender). 

And yeah...that's pretty much it, you basically have to move to Korea; Seoul (they'll pay for your flight and your flight only), and you'll attend a foreign high school till you graduate then you can choose to go to University or not (most KPOP artist don't but it's best if you do, because if you fail then you always have education). 

I hope this helped and if you have anymore questions just ask :D

Some kpop stars like Yunho and Key didnt live in Sm entertainment dorms and they are not from the Seoul area...why is this?

I remember Yunho talking in a interview how he had to leave his hometown and live outside in the streets in order to be a trainee because he had no money

does it cost money to train/live in dorms? or is 100% paid by company until u debut? when you debut and make money thats when u pay back the company right?

i think you might have already answered this but i just want to make sure. Are there any audition locations in China? for weekly audtions not global audtions.

Some kpop stars like Yunho and Key didnt live in Sm entertainment dorms and they are not from the Seoul area...why is this?

I remember Yunho talking in a interview how he had to leave his hometown and live outside in the streets in order to be a trainee because he had no money

does it cost money to train/live in dorms? or is 100% paid by company until u debut? when you debut and make money thats when u pay back the company right?

^ That's because Yunho was just a Star Academy student. Same with Jaejoong. Both Yunho and JaeJoong got scouted from Star Academy which SM Entertainment affiliates and endorses.

Are there any audition locations in China? for weekly audtions not global auditions.

A: I'm pretty sure (or very sure) that they don't have weekly audition location in China, they only have global auditions.

And it's OK if you're unsure about something just ask :D

i think you might have already answered this but i just want to make sure. Are there any audition locations in China? for weekly audtions not global audtions.

JYP do have a company in china 

^ That's because Yunho was just a Star Academy student. Same with Jaejoong. Both Yunho and JaeJoong got scouted from Star Academy which SM Entertainment affiliates and endorses.

They both auditioned for Sm Entertainment directly....You can look up Jaejoong's audition video and he auditioned for Sm Entertainment not their school training program Star Academy...same with Yunho

where do you get your info??

They both auditioned for Sm Entertainment directly....You can look up Jaejoong's audition video and he auditioned for Sm Entertainment not their school training program Star Academy...same with Yunho

where do you get your info??

I know but they were also Star Academy students. Actually Yunho was recommended by a Star Acadmey trainer to audition for SM Entertainment.And then he was a backup dancer to some notable Kpop artist like Dana. And JaeJoong he auditioned on his own free will. Yunho and JaeJoong knew each other from their Star Academy days together. Both enrolled into the school out of their parents disapproval, and JaeJoong was almost homeless during his time as a Star Academy student. Yunho lived with his parents during that time and JaeJoong moved out of his hometown just attend that Academy. JaeJoong's dream was to become the next H.O.T member (because H.O.T was popular at the time) Before he auditioned for SM Entertainment he asked his friend to evaluate his singing and when he did his friend had to tell him the truth that he sucked lol. Then he decided to enroll at Star Academy to get lessons on how to sing and dance. He evened joined a local garage band just to get any form of musical training. Because he had to pay the Star Academy with his money, he didn't have a place to live so he slept anywhere his friends had room at their place.

I got all this info from watching Korean Variety shows back to back on youtube lol.

JYP do have a company in china 

can you be more specific? are you completely sure? if so can you tell me the address possibly? 

can you be more specific? are you completely sure? if so can you tell me the address possibly? 

You should try searching up on the website, because if you look there you can find more accurate information :D

Here are the answers and I hope they help :D

1. Will SM pay all after we sign a contract? I heard that we have to pay if we want to be a trainee!

SM Entertainment will pay everything for you once you become a trainee, and yes that means if you get accepted as a trainee and you're not already in Korea then they'll pay for your flight. SM Entertainment will also enroll you to a school (You have to study in Korea as it's a law and you can only stop if you've finished High School which is year 12), they'll also give you a place to live in and they'll give you allowance (about 22 US Dollars a week) so you can buy stuff like: Electronics, clothes, etc. (They'll provide all of the food). You can go out and eat if you want to, but I rather save the allowance money so you can spend it on something that is worth it. They wont pay for you if you want to go overseas and visit your parents though, you have to do that yourself.

2. Do I need money to get an audition?

My friend, if it cost money to audition then SM Entertainment would probably the most richest company in the world, so the answer is no. The only money you need to spend is probably to buy airline tickets to the US or Korea if you're not already living there, besides that you wont need to pay anything. WARNING: if you pass the email auditions and they ask you to fly over to the USA or Korea, they wont pay for your flight there or your return flight.

3. Audition always open or just in summer?

Weekly auditions are always opened. Global audition destination are chosen every year. You should check their website for the audition dates.

4. Do u think I'm too old to get an auditon? I was born in 1997( 14 years old) n I think I'll get an audition next year, when I'm 15. TOO OLD???

To be honest, I'm actually the same age as you. I'm audition next year as well in the US, I hope we meet :D And no you're not too old, too old is 18 years and older. The only thing I can say is that the younger you are the more leeway you have with your audition but the older you are the more tight the judges become.

5.I'm in Vietnam, so u think wich one is better: get an audition in Thailand( very near from Vietnam) OR go to Seoul n get it?

Well obviously you would go to the one in Thailand, because your english is not bad and going to Korea your'll just be screwed, because of the language barrier and they'll expect you to know how to speak Korean, I don't think there is a weekly audition spot in Thailand though..

6. Is that good to know Korean when I get an audition?

Yes, knowing Korean will be very helpful when you audition. Knowing other languages are good to, these are the core languages you need to know how to speak if you're in SM Entertainment: Fluent Korean, Fluent (Or basic if you don't already know) English, Fluent (Or basic if you don't already know) Chinese, Basic Japanese and probably Thailand and Vietnamese 

7. Wich company is better: SM, YG or JYP?

Here is the breakdown of the companies

SM: Looks > Talent (SM Entertainment will make you more successful then YG or JYP can)

YG: Singing Talent > Looks (YG is not as successful as JYP but still good)

JYP: Dancing Talent > Looks (JYP is 2nd most successful and falling behind SM Entertainment) 

All the companies will train you like crazy but SM Entertainment will make you more successful if you debut.

8. It's really hard, right?

Auditions are hard yeah, but training to debut is even harder, because you have to compete with the other hundred or so trainees and if you don't improve they can cut you whenever they want to.

9. If I use cosmetic surgery, will that easier to get in SM? Does SM accept if I use cosmetic surgery in the time trainning?

Woah..you've had surgery at the age of 14? If you already had surgery at the age of 14 then must look very sexy if you're a girl and very handsome if you're a boy. But getting surgery before you even join SM Entertainment..I don't know, but the netizens are going to dig up some bad dirt on you if you debut. I'm not sure if they accept you if you've already had surgery beforehand... probably would but they'll try to hide it as much as possible.

10. How long will the normal contract be?

After the contract got changed the contract time would probably be 3 - 5 years and trust me that might sound a lot but it use to be 13 years...and if you quit before the contract ends, you have to pay a huge amount of money back to SM Entertaiment.

11. And the last question, what's the criteria of SM, YG n JYP. Plz tell me know!

Read question 7. I'll tell you this, SM will go for your looks the most, because they can create talent, they're looking for nice fresh faces (no pimples, acne, etc.) and they want you pale, they also want you to at least be able to sing and dance well, but if you have amazing singing and horrible dancing then it's ok, that also works vice versa. YG wants you to have probably the most amazing voice in the world and your looks don't matter that much. JYP requires you to have amazing dancing skills as you know most to all of JYP artist is amazing dancers.

I hope this helped and ask me more questions if you're wondering :D

I thought SM stood for 'Star Museum' Doesn't it? and isn't SM a CEO, not a founder?

No, SM stands for Soo Man Entertainment, he was the one who found SM Entertainment and later on he stepped down as being head manager (I'm not sure why). So he named the company after himself. He's not even a CEO anymore, but he still gets the biggest shares from what is earned, because he is the founder. 

He still gives ideas and things like that to the artist and when they're making a live concert he'll probably help organize some things.

^From WIki

S.M. Entertainment is an independent Korean record label, talent agency, producer, and publisher of K-pop, founded by Lee Soo-man in South Korea. Initially, "SM" was an abbreviation of the agency founder's name, but now stands for "Star Museum".