[Drama 2011] Midas 마이더스

Guest o-cha

That conversation between IJ and MJ about three mins in to ep 8

(at the father's house, after nasty brother has deliberately rubbed IH's nose in it by revealing that DH is under investigation for his past shady deeds)

set my spine tingling, and I thought I'd do a quick spot trans of it here for people who can't follow the Korean.

MJ: So what's this about Attorney Kim? Has he really been summoned for questioning by a Prosecutor?

IH: Yeah

MJ: So how is that going to affect you?

IH: You seem to be taking a great interest in Attorney Kim. Why is that, I wonder?

MJ: He's the racehorse you put your money on... I'd just like to know how you'll handle it if things go wrong. I'm told that if a real racehorse is badly injured, it has to be shot. Is that what you'll do?

IH: If the injury is incurable,then in the horse's best interests too, killing it's the best thing.

MJ: So... what's the situation with Attorney Kim? Is his injury incurable?

IH: I don't know yet.

This scene starts a strong dramatic arc, ending in the equally chilling scene at the other end of the episode between the same two siblings,

after IH has neen staggered to find MJ and JY together.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you baduy.  I wondered what the conversation was between MJ and IH. 

The look on her face when she went to his place was pure lividness....MJ just looking down upon the two was interesting.  I still think this family needs to be avoided at all cost....The games ppl play.  

I'm still curious about the bank deal.  Is this another pretense to make the 2nd brother fail too?  And if he does, who will he go after?

I'm still curious about the bank deal.  Is this another pretense to make the 2nd brother fail too?  And if he does, who will he go after?

That's still to evolve across the ep 8 / 9 cliffhanger. In fact, it's probably evolving this very minute in ep 9 now, but I can't see the live stream today because Internet links to Korea right now are very flakey. Which is why I'm typing this instead of being glued to my media player...

No, the bank deal isn't aimed at Bad Brother. IH's ambition is to build up Lone Korea as the center of a "Korean financial empire" as she puts it. But to do that, she needs ownership and control of a Korean bank. That can't be done by straightforward means, she tells her team, because in Korea banking and politics are intertwined, and so they need someone with the right Korean Old Boy connections ( = DH who is an alumnus of Seoul University with fellow alumni everywhere in inner circles in government and finance, in contrast to IH and her team who are all graduates of top US schools without the necessary in-group connections in Korea) and who is skilled and experienced in financial dirty tricks ( = DH again).

[incidentally, there's a subber's worst nightmare -- the Korean multiple pun -- in the bit in ep 6 (or 7?) where DH tells his own inner circle what it is they're going to do at IH's behest. "We're going to shake an eunhaeng" he says. The point being that "eunhaeng" is the Korean reading of two different orginally Chinese words (though in modern Chinese the meanings of the characters have shifted a bit away from the Hanja), 銀行 meaning 'bank' and 銀杏 meaning "gingko nut" (or sometimes "gingko tree"). Now gingko nuts are harvested by shaking the tree, whereupon, if they're ripe, the nuts cascade to the ground and can be easily collected. Because it's relatively easy compared to gathering other sorts of fruit or nuts, "shaking an eunhaeng (= gingko tree)" is sometimes used as an expression equivalent to "taking candy from a baby". So in a single sentence, DH is saying (1) "We're going to rock a bank" (2) "We're going to shake the nuts down from a gingko tree" and (3) "We're going to take candy from a baby." Pity the poor subber who has the impossible task of getting that across, especially when one of the guys remarks that you can't do that until the Fall, which is mightily puzzling if the previous sub, as it needs to do, just referred to a "bank" with not a tree or a nut of any kind in sight.]

However, there are signs that Bad Brother knows what DH is up to (it's a variant of what he did with the Sejin Biotech shares, but this time the basic idea, with the aid of the same corrupt TV financial pundit, is to cause a market panic that makes the bank's stock value plunge, then step in to buy a controlling stake at rock-bottom prices) and is planning to turn that knowledge to his advantage.

EDIT: Incidentally, on the "old-boy network" theme, there's a very nice touch in the opening scene of ep 08,

where the senior prosecutor who's a chum of Bad Brother comes into the interview room to ask his junior colleague how the interrogation's going, only to be told it's going "nowhere fast". Hearing this, the Senior Prosecutor turns to DH and in effect offers him a deal. He assures him that they are interested in DH only to the extent that he was the back-room boy behind the market manipulation of five years ago by which Senator Lee created a slush fund to support his campaign to run for President. If he spills the beans on Senator Lee, they will let DH get off the hook. The Senior Prosecutor warns him DH that if he makes the wrong call here, his career as a lawyer will be over for good, so he'd better co-operate. But the significant, and again untranslateable, point is that the Senior Prosecutor says he's offering this advice to DH "as his Seonbae". Now he doesn't know DH from Adam and he certainly wasn't in Law School with him, as his junior colleague was. No, he calls himself DH's Seonbae simply because they are both Seoul University graduates, and he's offering him a way out as a favor to a fellow alumnus.

That bears out IH's remarks about the power of such connections.

I find it weird that Jung Yun is suddenly a lot more comfortable around Myung Joon.

I also think that the part Hye In talks about how she was hurt by love is hinting romance between Do Hyun and In Hye.

I think JY decided to revenge is mainly due to helping Myung Joon who seems to be thinking the same as her(trying to stop people before their greed for money does serious harm to them)Because she isn't really interested in doing that before Mj says his reason.

Great! Thanks a lot Baduy :D !

It's really helpful for people like me. I was watching raw from joonmedia and really dying for the sub. Please continue to give us some hints about the dialogues, will ya? :)

Midas is getting more interesting, even I can definetely feel the tense, awkward moment when IH met JY without knowing what they said to each other.

@baduy that translation lets me know that I am missing out alot on the phrases and remarks made in kdramas....Sheesh.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.:D

I think someone did put in the tranlsation about "shaking the bank", but I did not get the "like taking candy from a baby" aspects of what he DH was saying though.  It's mean to take candy away from poor defenseless babies.....:phew:

... that translation lets me know that I am missing out alot on the phrases and remarks made in kdramas...

Well, it was because I kept getting exactly that feeling with Kdramas (and even with Kmovies in art-house showings with supposedly "professional" subtitles) that I decided I just had to learn the language. So I did. Or at least, I started learning, and I'm still slogging away at it. I'm now far enough along to follow dramas and have a shot at subbing ones with modern settings, but most of Korean Classical literature is still way beyond me, and though I can understand a lot of everyday speech, when I actually try to speak Korean myself, disaster strikes before very long.

But I do urge anyone who has seriously been bitten but the Kdrama bug to consider learning the language. I won't deny it takes time and effort, but the satisfaction you get when you finally realize you are taking this stuff in "as it comes" more than makes up for it.

Hmmmm. Some of the things I read in various blogs and comments about this drama being full of boring business stuff strike me as a bit like going to see a Transformers movie and saying it would have been better without all those robots.

HOWEVER....

A few more spot-translated snippets, picking up around 8 minutes into ep 8, where JY takes a cellphone call at the hospital from MJ

JY: Hello?

MJ: Is it OK to talk?

JY: Sure, go ahead.

MJ: Something really unexpected has turned up.

JY: What would that be?

MJ: It seems Kim Do Hyun's been called in by the Prosecutor to be questioned about something in his past.

[she takes that in...]

MJ: Are you still there?

JY: Ah... yes.

MJ: In Hye and Kim Ho Hyun both seem to be in trouble here.

Then a cut to DH emerging from the Prosecutor's Office building, and being met by his sidekick Jin Woo.

JW: Why did they detain you overnight? Is that even legal? Anyway, what happened?

DH: It's not looking good.

JW: You see? I told you over and over how worried I was. Before things get even worse, hurry up and tell In Hye. Can't you ask for her help?

DH: She mustn't get to know about this. Before she finds out, I've got to extricate myself.

JW: But the Prosecutor's got his claws into you! What can you do?

DH: Let's go.

We see IH's man reporting to her and being told just to wait and watch for now, then we're in the car with DH and JW.

JW: If it's Senator Lee the Prosecutors are targetting, why can't you just give them what they want? Surely that would get you off the hook?

DH: They were just dangling some bait in the hope I'd rise to it. The moment I opened my mouth, we'd both be gonners.

JW: But aren't we dead meat just the same, even if you don't say anything? This is crazy!

Then cut to MJ's suite at the Mall, where JY is administering MJ's pain relief.

JY: Don't you find it all wearisome?

MJ: I can cope with it.

JY: You carry on working when you're in this condition. I don't understand why

MJ: You mean... why does a guy with so little time left to live bother with such unimportant things?

JY: I'm not saying that, exactly... But I were in your shoes, I'd stop working right away and focus on getting treatment, or doing some more meaningful work. Seeing how you still cling on to making money, I can't help thinking rich people have a different sort of blood in their veins.

MJ: That's because ... you don't know what I'm really like. I don't care at all about making money. The work I'm doing now, is a kind of cleaning-up operation.

[she doesn't ask what he means by that, though we see that for a moment she's tempted to, but she doesn't want to get drawn into life-confessions... He gets up from the sofa, then continues]

MJ: That offer I made you... have you given it some thought?

JY: It was always a non-starter, so why should I have done?

MJ: So why do you think it's not on?

JY: If I wanted to take revenge on your sister, how could you possibly be of any help? You surely couldn't seriously do that?

MJ: I'm not sure how you'll take this, but... I'd like to see someone put a stop to my sister's pathological greed. When I consider the life she leads I feel suffocated, as though something was stopping me breathing. If you'll accept my offer, I'll do anything. Anything at all.

The last discussion between JY and MJ is interesting. Thanks, badguy. I really want to see what he can and will do there to shake things up.

I think some people are getting tired of the "business stuff" because perhaps they have problems with the execution.

At around 11 mins into ep 8, DH's team report to him

that they've established that it was Bad Brother Seong Joon who set the Prosecutor's Office looking into to DH and the events of 5 years before. The senior prosecutor concerned (as we already gathered from the last ep) was at College with Seong Joon -- the Old Boy Network again). JW warns DH that unless he does something fast, the next stage won't just further questioning but an arrest warrant. DH says nothing, but clearly takes the point.

Then an establishing shot familiar to Kdrama fans. Yes... we're yet again in the Han Riverside Life-Changing Conversations Parking Lot, thoughtfully provided by the Seoul City Fathers as part of the massive urban waterways regeneration scheme that helped the then Mayor of Seoul on his way to becoming the current President of the Republic. I bet there's a levy of 100,000 Won per Dramatically Meaningful Word spoken at that location.

In the Car of Conspiracy this time round, while the obligatory black-suited minder watches out for no-one knows quite what,

sit Seong Joon and his prosecutor buddy Jang Gun Hoon, conspiring away. GH asks why SJ has it in for DH, and is told about how DH entrapped him over the Sejin Biotech stocks. DH is one tough cookie, so GH will have his work cut out, SJ warns him, but his crony reassures him he's no pushover either, then asks how things are with SJ. He's heard that SJ has been supplanted as heir to the Group by In Hye. That's just a rumor, SJ reassures him, there's no way he'll step down in favor of his illegitimate half siblings. He will inherit the group in the end and use his clout make his buddy Chief Prosecutor...

Back at Lone Asia, and 15 mins or so in now, IH asks a question that makes DH need a change of underwear.

IH: Well... How did it go at the Prosecutor's Office?

DH: What?

IH: I told you very plainly. If there was anything in your past that might cause problems, you had to tell me about all it. So why did you hide this from me?

DH: Ahh.. Well... The thing is...

IH: This takeover of the Hanyoung Bank ... you know full well how vital it is to me. Lone Asia and I placed all our trust in you for this life and death investment. But, because of the past you concealed, this crisis has put the whole undertaking at risk.

DH: I'll assume full responsibility. I will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure success.

IH: I didn't realize you had such a slender grasp of reality. Don't you understand the situation we're now in? Just what does saying you'll take responsibility mean in concrete terms? Now you've been backed into a corner, how are you going to pull off the Bank takeover? This is a country where even a former President, once he's left power, can be sent to jail for fraud. The reality is that now anyone you cross will have something to hold against you. While you're under investigation, Seong Jeon may be able to pull off a master stroke. Lone Korea and Lone Asia itself will be vulnerable. For all the regard I have for your skills and abilities, the way things stand now, I can no longer take you along with me.

[That strikes DH dumb for a while. Then...]

DH: I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this. But I never imagined this matter would be resurrected. There was nothing sinister about me hiding it. It was such a politically sensitive matter I never thought anyone would ever touch upon it again. That's why I never raised it. But now... someone has. And that someone is Yoo Seong Jeon. I can't just end things like this. I haven't had chance yet to make a decisive move. Now I've got the target in my sights, I've got to fire at least one shot. I just can't give up in this way. I will clear this whole thing up. And in the unlikely event that I can't, I'll hand in my resignation of my own accord.

So we see DH, in his next desperate move, waylaying Senator Lee and insisting on a private interview with him. The Senator disowns all knowlege of him or of the activities DH was hired to do five years earlier on the Senator's behalf. DH warns him that if his, DH's, role comes into public view, the Senator's own misdeeds will come to light and they will both be brought down. But the Senator, obviously satisfied his role is "deniable", calls his bluff and leaves, telling him to forget all about this conversation. We guess the Senator is quite right to think he's safe unless DH actively incriminates him, which he can't do without putting his own head in the noose, otherwise the Prosecutor would not have been so dependent on DH turning whistle blower and would have moved against the Senator on other evidence, so that scheme of DH's doesn't work

Thanks baduy for the gems. 

This line reminds me so much of something Michael in the Godfather would say---IH: I didn't realize you had such a slender grasp of reality. Don't you understand the situation we're now in? Just what does saying you'll take responsibility mean in concrete terms? 

SJ reminds me of Sonny and the oldest reminds me of Fredo; and Choi is Tom.  I love the references. :)

So my bad, IH does not want him to accumulate enemies.  I thought the Lone Korea would collapse after Lone Asia obtained the bank, but I guess not.  It seems she really wanted to go far with DH for as much as he could advance her ambitions....woo, woo, wooo.

DH is indirectly 'harming' is father too

first it was the stocks the father bought in which DH ruined by dropping the price drastically, and now its the HY bank where most of DH's father's money to fund his 'gold mine' will come from. In the end , DH will be the one to ultimately 'kill' his father :ph34r:

[...]

SJ reminds me of Sonny and the oldest reminds me of Fredo; and Choi is Tom.  I love the references. :)

[...]

Gosh. yes!!

I'd picked up on Choi as Consiliere Tom, initally intending to recruit DH as his successor, but the resemblances SJ = Sonny and Dumb Brother = Frido, despite being at the other end of the age-row so so speak hadn't dawned on me; and the idea of IH as Michael, unlikely though it might sound to anyone who hadn't watched the drama carefully, strikes me as a brilliant insight. Again, despite the gender difference, there's the same terrifyingly steely and ruthless obsession beneath the calm manner and surface charm.

And the conversation between IH and DH at her place at around 40 mins, after she's sent him a text inviting him over for a drink as he leaves the memorial hall, hints at a similar case of family trauma as the root of her driven nature...

I'll try to spot translate that conversation, and the other crucial ones between JY and MJ and then MH and IH sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime, a quick run over the main parts between that conversation and where I left off in my last post.

Approaching 20 mins in, we take an excursion to the Korean Klondike way out East and some heavy machinery closeups [they might have been less keen to test the product by biting it Long John Silver fashion if they'd reflected that it's been leeched from the crushed ore using cyanide, but alas they all survive with dentition intact to drive me, at least, crazy yet another day. My tremendous love for Kdramas is rivalled only by my tremendous irritation at KDrama "lovable rogue" type characters, though every Kdrama has to have one. Or two. Or six...]

Then we are back in darkest night in Seoul

with DH musing on IH's words that they have to part ways, and then we're 24 minutes in and it's another day, another interrogation at the Prosecutor's Office.

The young prosecutor comes briskly in, saying he's certain DH has seen sense so they'll be able to wrap this up quickly, but DH insists on talking only to his superior -- alone. When he gets his way, DH tells Prosecutor Gun Hoon that he knows it was Seong Joon who provided the information on him, but that for his part he has some intersting information on Gun Hoon and Seong Joon's dealings with each other. And he produces two Kdrama Type#2 Significant Envelopes. Type #1 Significant Envelopes are of course narrow and white and are stuffed with bank bills, or rather the strange pre-printed "checks" or negotiable instruments that play the role of high-denomination bills in Korea: their purpose is bribery or "dump my fantastically rich son but give us his baby" sort of business. These Type #2 Envelopes are brown, much wider, and always contain Incriminating Documents (In some dramas, though not this one, Type #2 envelopes are swapped for type #1 versions). As someone perceptively remarked earlier in this thread, DH did his homework very carefully on that occasion after first joining Choi's firm when he spent all night reading the dossiers of the siblings and their associates. We guess that the dirt he has now placed in these envelopes may come from that source. Whatever, it's obviously powerful enough stuff to convince the Prosecutor that DH has more than enough on him to ruin him. End of investigation.

DH'd lovable rogue Daddy is, of course, planning to bamboozle loan shark Pil Do by selling him land adjacent to the "strike" but which, unlike the plot that was blackmailed out of Dumb Brother's possession, has no exploitable ore deposits. The plan succeeds. As they gloat over this, Daddy's secretary Chang Mee ( or Rose) discovers that dimwit son is out on a spree with the playgirl of the Yoo dynasty. She is less than pleased, and this will no doubt have consequences. Do we care?

30 mins in, and in his office the increasingly world-weary Attorney Choi has just been handed a Type #2 envelope containing surveillance shots of dimwit son and Yoo family playgirl engaged in a flagrant bout of heavy shopping. He tells his assistant to deal with the matter and make sure no rumors arise.

Then a dumbfounded team greet DH emerging a free and very smug-looking man from the Prosecutor's Office building. (We notice from his expression that the more thoughtful most recent recruit, the one who was DH's best buddy and chummy with JY in their College days, though relieved, is still not convinced the danger's over) Before they go celebrate, DH says, he wants to go back to Lone Asia.

At Lone Asia, IH begins to smell a rat disguised as one of her "Round Table Knights". Following her hunch, she takes him off front-line duties, thus heightening his inner treacherous seethings, just as DH comes in.

Alone with her in the inner office, DH tells IH he cleared up the matter and it will never come up again. He dealt with it by attacking his enemies with the same weapon they'd deployed against him.

IH: And that worked?

DH: I know now you're willing to cast me aside, so what worse fate did I have to fear? So now, can we carry on advancing together?

IH: If we're to catch up on the delays this situation has caused, you'll need to move fast.

DH: Of course. I'll give it all I've got.

After DH has gone off to do just that, out comes IH's mobile and she reports to her mystery phone conversation partner (A bit like Charlie's Angels: the Anonymous Version)

IH: It's me. DH tells me he's cleared it all up. ... Yes I'm rather amazed, too. Or rather, it's not so much amazement, as a realization that one day, I may not be able to control him...

Archived