[Drama 2011] Midas 마이더스

Guest o-cha

Guest lucy_marie

It would be really nice if you could upload it on youtube. There are a whole lot of us just watching for LMJ and NMW. 

I hope JY shows some tender feelings for MJ in the next episode. ......especially after what he said. .....he wants some love. It seems to have struck a chord in her since she was watching him sleep and she had this very compassionate look on her face. I also think she's realizing the difference between MJ and DH.  

So far LMJ has been criminally wasted in Midas. I can't believe my girl crush agreed to such a unimportant role. But then we are just half way thru the drama so maybe there is hope. Never heard of NMH but I really like him.  And no, I don't want to watch the fox drama because Shin Mina annoys me and so does Kim Tae Hee. These two very pretty ladies leave me cold.  Not hating on them. Just don't enjoy watching them. 

I know it would have been better if the vids are in youtube....I tried to upload it there but SBS is blocking it so I just gave up and decided to put it in megaupload....

For those of you who missed my first link here is the MJ-JY Cuts Ep2-6 link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E8RTQI3P

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear! There's a fair chance you may be in for an unpeaceful demise.

Because according to the dialogue, he explains it's a tune he's just made up and is elaborating with a view to making it into a complete song, then adding suitable lyrics. He says he wants to write a song that will be a legacy expressing his true feelings, so that when he's gone people will turn to his words and music, rather than the record of what his life so far has been like, to know the kind of person he is. [This of course ties in with JY's parting shot to DH in that dialogue I spot translated, where she says she knows what MJ is truly like, despite his bad reputation, where in Korean "reputation" in the phrase she chooses is literally "the world's opinion". The song will reveal to that "world" what so far only JY knows about his true nature.]

HOWEVER, there's a massively strong hint (which of course bypasses JY altogether) that this song, when it's finished, will be about his love for her and the way that love turned his life around. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a mega weepy scene where, as his mortal coil is committed to the earth or the flames, a heavenly soft-rock band robed in white appears, singing the finished masterpiece. And the next day in the "real" world, the newspapers will report several serious injuries caused to pedestrians by delivery vans rushing extra emergency supplies of Kleenex to every convenience store in Korea. And, back in the plot, maybe JY, choking back her tears, will feel a teeny bit guilty that when he asked her, in this scene, what she thought of his composition in progress, the best she could rise to was "not bad".

Anyway, if we do indeed get to hear the finished product on some such occasion, it may yet appear in the OST II (=funeral supplement special)

LOL. Hilarious reply is hilarious. I also think that it might be part of the OST later on. Let's hope so.

I've gone through all the songs in the OST, watched all the youtube videos of him playing the piano, even the drums and guitar, and then that lead to even non-music related videos of him and now I think I've got a new korean man infatuation on my hands. And then I tweeted to him on twitter about the song. He hasn't replied.

Somehow I have this wild imagination that the grandma in the hospital will help DH out. The way the grandma looks at Jung Yeon at the hospital, she seems surprised and astonished at the same time. This grandma character is somehow inexistent now and her appearance adds no meaning to the story line, but I'd bet later she would be a great contributor to the relationship between JY and DH. It could be that the grandma would give JY "a gift" before she dies, as a way to say thank you for all JY's help and sincerity.

Yeah, I was wondering about the grandma character too. I don't really care whether or not JY will effortlessly benefit something from the grandma in the hospital. I mean it's JY's duty as a nurse to take care of her patients, isn't it? Besides, I'd rather see her as a self-sufficient career woman. Anyway this is just how I feel. If that's the case as you guess, I hope she would turn down the offer. I don't like the feeling being in debt to anyone.

Yeah, I was wondering about the grandma character too. I don't really care whether or not JY will effortlessly benefit something from the grandma in the hospital. I mean it's JY's duty as a nurse to take care of her patients, isn't it? Besides, I'd rather see her as a self-sufficient career woman. Anyway this is just how I feel. If that's the case as you guess, I hope she would turn down the offer. I don't like the feeling being in debt to anyone.

If the grandma is there we know she is definitely 'wealthy', which means her children are and could very well be one member of the MOFIA.  I think DH would find out vicariously if he were to give another TV interview about his loss or stop by JY’s place of work looking for her, and the grandma would be outside [seeing their exchange and his immediate dismissal] and call him over for a sit down and he'd tell her his sad, sad tale and win her support [and so her son’s].  Men listen to their mother's advice even if they don't want to.....

If the grandma is there we know she is definitely 'wealthy', which means her children are and could very well be one member of the MOFIA.  I think DH would find out vicariously if he were to give another TV interview about his loss or stop by JY’s place of work looking for her, and the grandma would be outside [seeing their exchange and his immediate dismissal] and call him over for a sit down and he'd tell her his sad, sad tale and win her support [and so her son’s].  Men listen to their mother's advice even if they don't want to.....

Did I miss something? You mean DH is likely to have something to do with the MOTHERLY grandma later on?? :unsure: Oh boy, you've got brains..

You know just because DH is so obvious a masculine (or even emotionless) role, it struck me as odd that he actually has the most mama's boy image in this drama. I didn't realize he could be so vulnerable until I watched a couple of scenes where he talked to his mom in tears. Why is that? Do we need a psychologist to explain this?    :phew:

Guest soompigalz

Did I miss something? You mean DH is likely to have something to do with the MOTHERLY grandma later on?? :unsure: Oh boy, you've got brains..

You know just because DH is so obvious a masculine (or even emotionless) role, it struck me as odd that he actually has the most mama's boy image in this drama. I didn't realize he could be so vulnerable until I watched a couple of scenes where he talked to his mom in tears. Why is that? Do we need a psychologist to explain this?    :phew:

I think that simply because her Momma was the one who unintentionally introduced him the greatnessess of his current obsession a.k.a Money Money Money,.. I say unintentionally coz im sure Mom wouldnt expect that her life pattern was the reason his son threat money like he is right now, and if i could say daddy's abandonment was the source behind all this matters.

There's something odd (I'd like to say "fishy" but for fairly obvious reasons I'd rather not) about DH and his weepy Mommy-talk scenes (always with the "Londonderry Air" aka "Danny Boy" as plaintive accompaniment)

A bit earlier today, I saw that on viki the last but one sequence of ep 09 was lacking a few vital lines (not to mention a couple of vital words like "downsizing" and "restructuring") that contained much of the significance of what goes on in the scenes immediately prior to the decisive vote about who gets to take over the Bank. Anyway, I filled in those gaps, and while I was at it smoothed out and corrected some of the surrounding lines as well.

Since, as I may have already said too often, I don't hold with putting stuff on Viki that people in some parts of the world aren't allowed to see, I will say a bit about the scenes concerned here, too.

After we've seen the sequences where both sides are providing Board members with boxfuls of "tomatoes" stuffed with bank bills, as well as loose women, booze and free karaoke to win their votes, we get a meeting between IH and DH where she asks him how things are going.

He replies that they are sure so far that there will be four votes for them and definitely one against. If they assume that the "unknowns" will actually vote for their rivals, that leaves one man whose vote will be decisive, A certain Lee Tae Chul, President of what I translate as the Northern Bank. Not an easy guy to win over, IH remarks. DH agrees, saying all he can do is try meeting him face to face and doing some plain talking. IH correctly senses DH is none too sure this is going to work. And if it doesn't, they'll lose.

We see DH getting the dossier he's requested on Lee Tae Chul before going to talk to him. He went straight from a commercial high school into the Bank [commercial and technical high schools in Korea generally prepare pupils for entry directly into industry and commerce after graduation (in some cases at 16 rather than 18). Though theoretically of equal status to mainstream high schools, the fact that their pupils are not attempting University entrance means they are regarded as less prestigious, and their graduates, though they get an earlier start in the working world, often find they hit a "glass ceiling" through which College graduates pass more readily]. However, he then studied for a degree in his own time and over thirty years has worked himself up from the bottom to become President of the Northern Bank. Extensive inquiries among the bank employees who have worked alongside and then under him over these years prove that he is well liked by all of them, and admired by many. DH's sidekick advises him that inducements and kickbacks aren't going to work on this man. Only a candid and frank approach has a chance of winning over his vital vote.

We then see DH, thus prepared, making his pitch at this 100% Good Guy, who is in a tranquil rural spot doing some serious angling. [Alas for UK (and Australian) viewers, the appearance and even the mannerisms of this character, who is meant to be such a lofty, if thoroughly honest, pinnacle of Korean financial life, are uncannily like the curmudgeonly elderly batchelor backstreet shopkeeper Norris Cole in the thrice-weekly soap opera Coronation Street, which puts such viewers at a severe disadvantage in interpreting this scene as the writer intended]

After DH introduces himself, LTC continues to watch his fishing floats and tells DH that he's wasting his time trying to canvas his vote. He is implacably opposed to Lone Asia and the Americanized business culture it represents and couldn't possibly vote to deliver a Korean Bank, its employees and customers, into the hands of people like DH.

Cue Danny Boy on the harmonica and DH's best "I really loved my Mommy so I can't be all bad" voice and manner.

DH: The fact is, I've been a customer of the Han Young Bank since I was a boy. My mother kept a fish stall in the market. Every time I got full marks in a test, my mother gave me a dollar bill reeking of fish from her takings. I used to take that money to the bank closest to the market hall. When I handed that dollar reeking of fish to the young lady teller, she'd say, "Oh my, it smells of mackerel today", or ""Goodness it smells of cutlass fish today". I've always remembered her saying that. With the money I saved that way, I bought my Mom a quilted jacket for her birthday. I remember how she smiled and hugged me in gratitude. So please don't regard me as a fellow who's driven only by financial logic. I don't come from a rich family like Yoo Seong Jeon does. Think of me as a man who knows the worth of a dollar bill that stinks of fish.

Our 100% Good Guy shows no signs of tearing up, or taking his eyes off his fishing line for long for that matter, so DH ups the histrionics by kneeling down on the bare ground. Not surprisingly, the worthy Banker of Undisputed Integrity wants to know what on earth he thinks he's doing.

DH: I'm not going down on my knees to beg, but to make you a promise from the bottom of my heart. If you enable us to carry out this takeover, I promise there'll be no downsizing or restructuring. I say that because I know it's the most important issue in your eyes. Please trust me.

LTC keeps calmly watching his fishing line as before, and gives no clue as to whether he's been impressed by this plea.

But whether or not DH has come across to him as trustworthy is made dramatically clear in the outcome of the vote. It's vital to realize that it was LTC's vote that tipped the balance (the fact that this piece of information was not brought out in the Viki subs was what made me chip in there, and repeat the essence of the subs concerned here). DH's performance of the boy who loves his Mommy rather than his Money, has fallen not so much on deaf ears, as on ears that are too wise and experienced to be fooled by his maudlin little performance.

Lone Korea's bid has ultimately failed not because the other side delivered larger boxes of "tomatoes" or sexier women, but because DH failed to convince a man who embodies everything that Old Korea esteems most highly that he could be trusted. And he failed, not for want of doing his utmost to make his case. but because his case relied on cynically deployed sentimental claptrap, talking the talk to someone who was more interested in the substance. The distinct possibility that he half-believed his own claptrap does not make him any better. Nor does the response he shows at the end of ep 9 where he is plainly directing intense hatred at Seong Jeon and his gang for, as he sees it, snatching victory away from him. But the writer has gone to some lengths, through the structure of the last five or so minutes of the episode, to emphasize that he ought to look to himself for the source of his defeat.

I am about to head for a part of Scotland where WiFi hotspots or 3G broadband masts are pretty infrequent, so I won't be able to watch next week's episodes till I'm back home in a week's time. I hope I catch up with those before the two episodes after that come along as well. No doubt I'll be sounding off again in due course, but bye for now, everyone.

Guest jobogae

Thank you everyone for posting the episodes. I'm trying to catch up with this drama. I am enjoying it so far. I really like the pairing of Jang Hyuk and Lee Min Jung. I've always wanted him to pair up with Nam Sang Mi on a drama but I'm happy to see that Lee Min Jung joined the cast of Midas!! The plot is pretty predictable but the acting here is what draws me in. Isn't it obvious that the lady boss hired someone to crash his car on the day of the wedding?? I can't wait to see that revealed.

Guest ludmila

If the grandma is there we know she is definitely 'wealthy', which means her children are and could very well be one member of the MOFIA.  I think DH would find out vicariously if he were to give another TV interview about his loss or stop by JY’s place of work looking for her, and the grandma would be outside [seeing their exchange and his immediate dismissal] and call him over for a sit down and he'd tell her his sad, sad tale and win her support [and so her son’s].  Men listen to their mother's advice even if they don't want to.....

Exactly. I was thinking the same. Grandma's children could very well be one of important wealthy people that might have a connection to DH's and JY's life later in the drama. It would be soooo nice if grandma give all of her assets to JY LOL.

I'm so curious as to how DH handles his "first" failure. He obviously will find it hard to face IH when she learns that DH lost the competition to the second brother. On top of that, IH's reaction, is more interesting to know. I wish she would throw DH away.

I am about to head for a part of Scotland where WiFi hotspots or 3G broadband masts are pretty infrequent, so I won't be able to watch next week's episodes till I'm back home in a week's time. I hope I catch up with those before the two episodes after that come along as well. No doubt I'll be sounding off again in due course, but bye for now, everyone.

You're awesome! Have a safe trip and thanks for the great input, as always. :)

DH: He's not one to go down easily. I'm sure he'll have something up his sleeve in no time.

even though the other has been picked, I'm not totally convinced it's over yet. And come on, he did know the other brother was on to him ever since the prosecutor matter, when he got brought in for questioning.

It is nice, though, to see him humbled a little bit. Part of me reaaaaally hope his soul can be redeemed in the end. The guy needs to see the light. He's been in the cave and in the dark for way too long. I think things will come full circle with his dad, too. Basically everything that is happening--ambition, greed, bitterness, etc... has for starting point his relationship with daddy, right?

I'm loving this drama, even though seeing the lovely MJ sick breaks my heart now.

Guest tiffany

In Ep 9, at about 45m 35s, MJ was looking at a stack of documents. I can't understand what they are. According to the Chinese subs, they were legal information that they were giving to the lawyers about the financial group (I'm not sure if it is referring the entire financial group under papa Yoo ot just the companies under MJ). He also mentioned that they need to get someone in charge of the financial department of some sort.

Can someone tell me the exact department as the Chinese term used is not too clear. MJ looked thoughtful and replied that he was looking for a suitable candidate.

Is he setting up a trust fund of some sort (after he dies) and needs to appoint someone to be in charge? If it is so, I have a sneaking suspicion that he will appoint JY for this post. She will then probably have voting rights etc and take 'revenge' on the sister.

Anyone care to enlighten me about this?

baduy- enjoy your Scotland trip. I was there some years ago in a fairly remote village and was surprised to find that I actually had signal on my phone. Will await your return for more insights.

In the myth, all that King Midas touched turned into gold. Whilst he rejoiced initially, he was soon to regret and view it as misfortune as literally everything- food, water, his family all turned into gold at his touch. I guess there isn't going to be much of a happy ending for this drama.

Is he setting up a trust fund of some sort (after he dies) and needs to appoint someone to be in charge?

You got it in one despite the slight diversion set up by the c-sub!

The key word is (on the file cover and in the dialogue) is 재단 (jaedan) which is 財團 in Hanja. I suspect this is yet another instance of meaning-shift between Korean and Chinese. In Korean, at any rate, the meaning is "Foundation" as in 록펠러 재단 for Rockefeller Foundation etc.

You remember that in an earlier dialogue I spot-translated, he told JY that his aim was to "clean up" something, but she chose not to ask what he meant, though he was clearly inviting her to? Well, that started a chain of clues of which this is the next. It looks like he is planning to put his share of the family fortune, at least, to some sort of charitable use as a way of making amends for his misdeeds, and maybe those of his family, too? And will he induce IH to put her vast wealth into the pot, as well?

As MJ peruses the file, his assistant tells him that the documents necessary for the legal establishment of the Foundation have been sent off to the attorney today, but warns him that he needs to give some thought now as to the proposed make-up of the Board to oversee the Foundation. He replies that he's got that in mind right now and will soon make his suggestions.

baduy- enjoy your Scotland trip. I was there some years ago in a fairly remote village and was surprised to find that I actually had signal on my phone. Will await your return for more insights.

Getting a basic cellphone signal is no problem. So I can get onto Soompi (and check on my hard disk against the raws of the episodes already aired) But away from the main highways and larger towns, there's no 3G signal to get a video stream across watchably, so that's why I'll miss tomorrow and Tuesday's eps on first airing.

Guest kelela

I just started watching and I'm already intrigued by the show. I should be caught up soon, I'm on ep.3 now. I'm carefully going through this post so I don't see too many spoilers.

Guest tiffany

I've been trying to find some preview of the episode tonight but in vain. Anyone knows if it has been posted? Or if there was any clip uploaded?

I don't think this was posted here though I did post it on Jang Hyuk's thread.

Jang Hyuk was in Singapore last month to promote the drama, Midas via ONE, the new channel from Sony SPE (which will be airing SBS dramas).

Here are the posts on my site-

Jang Hyuk- The Midas Touch

ONE presents Jang Hyuk

I believe ONE will start very soon, so those residing in Singapore, do look out for it.

Personally, I hope they will air Midas and this time invite Lee Min Jung and No Min Woo. :rolleyes:

Guest venice_cvy

I've been trying to find some preview of the episode tonight but in vain. Anyone knows if it has been posted? Or if there was any clip uploaded?

I don't think this was posted here though I did post it on Jang Hyuk's thread.

Jang Hyuk was in Singapore last month to promote the drama, Midas via ONE, the new channel from Sony SPE (which will be airing SBS dramas).

Here are the posts on my site-

Jang Hyuk- The Midas Touch

ONE presents Jang Hyuk

I believe ONE will start very soon, so those residing in Singapore, do look out for it.

Personally, I hope they will air Midas and this time invite Lee Min Jung and No Min Woo.  :rolleyes:

HI....

For your info, Malaysia already started airing ep1&2 last week~~

Archived