Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

23 hours ago, puan iryantie said:

Yes...I like too and wait to long see her in small screen. there the happy ending story right.  I thought if there ad sequel can be boring except there any conflict or another story

ending is very abrupt & too rush. Nice to have a sequel to see them married with the blessings of her parents, their future of career & kids. The script itself already makes viewers looking for more chemistries - kind of drama we enjoy to be entertained which does not have too much revenge.

CLOY received Hallyu Excellence Award  and Jinnie won Best Hallyu Actress

Director Lee accepted the award for CLOY

Jinnie's speech (translations)

I think I got this award because CLOY received so much love not only in Korea but also internationally. Now is a really difficult time for the all of us. Let's continue to support each other and cheer up. I hope everyone stays healthy and that we will be able to meet each other with smiles soon. Thank you.

Updated 9/27 fan meeting version:

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

The 15th Seoul International Drama Awards 2020

Best Screenwriter: Lim Sang-Choon (When the Camellia Blooms)

Spoiler

C96892AC-78F5-428C-B3CE-AE977F10A506.jpg

Best Actress: Kong Hyo-Jin (When the Camellia Blooms)

Spoiler

5FA156BA-3A98-44E4-948F-CC4A95668478.jpg

Hallyu Drama -  Most Outstanding Drama: When the Camellia Blooms

Spoiler

4D3C2235-AB01-4C77-8548-9520C8954190.jpg

Hallyu Drama - Outstanding Drama: Crash Landing on You, Extraordinary You, Stove League

Spoiler

52FFABEA-5D7D-41A8-B1C9-8103443741CD.jpg

F49150F9-0946-4A30-BC03-F44501A48873.jpg

612EE1B7-C0FE-44FE-B62A-A757D975FC51.jpg

Hallyu Drama - Outstanding Korean Actor: Kang Ha-Neul (When the Camellia Blooms)

Spoiler

78182566-F074-4FE9-8318-D6DE881AD494.jpg

Hallyu Drama - Outstanding Korean Actress: Son Ye-Jin (Crash Landing on You)

Spoiler

FD7D71D6-4A86-4677-A318-C93C228192B8.jpg

Hallyu Drama - OST: (When the Camellia Blooms)

Spoiler

55C825E8-CA9B-45F4-9BC6-70459890A313.jpg

Source: 看韩影@weibo

c-subbed

https://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:4547717767299113

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

SYJ's mentioned her love of the movie Thelma & Louise.  Wouldn't it be cool if she got to do a female ensemble road movie one day with her good friend and the other best actress award winner Gong Hyo Jin and others friends from her Cinderella gang? They would already have chemistry.

In truth, I don't have a particular genre or kind of film that I hope SYJ does next.  As long as the script is good, the possibilities are endless.  I'm happy to let her surprise me and maybe surprise herself too.  But even if she's done a genre before, she can always bring something new with more mature acting.

So I asked this is the other SYJ thread, but asking here again, does anyone know the story behind SYJ choosing her acting name to be Yejin vs Eon Jin?  What does Eon Jin mean in Korean?  It's interesting that Son = hand. I didn't know that before.

I thought the Vogue interview with SYJ/HB was an interesting one.  The google translation is a bit hit and miss so hopefully I am getting the gist of what she was trying to say.  Excerpts below:

http://www.vogue.co.kr/2018/08/21/%ec%86%90%ec%98%88%ec%a7%84%ea%b3%bc-%ed%98%84%eb%b9%88%ec%9d%98-%ec%97%90%eb%84%88%ec%a7%80-%ea%b2%8c%ec%9e%84/

Just as a doctor disinfects his hands before entering the operating room, Son Ye-jin cleans up his mind about the day by washing his hands in the bathroom by himself before entering the filming room. It is her own ritual for shooting. 

Interesting ritual! But do they always have a bathroom on set? I actually have no idea, do actors get private trailers like actors do in American TV series when on location/on set? Or they just hang out in a room or sit outdoors while they wait for set up?

In today's scenario, Son Ye-jin sees those who are strong and subjective. “Because we are oppressed in society, it seems that we want a character who can say everything we can say without hesitation, but at the same time we want a weak character who can project ourselves. Thankfully, I have been able to do various genres consistently, and I have a desire to do so in the future. Regardless of gender, I hope there are a lot of works that can show a really diverse group of humans. Movies like <The Witch> played a noir genre by a new actress. It's a movie that doesn't fit the officials' formula, but it's great. I think well-made content has shown that it works well. I believe that if there is real fun in the diversity, the audience will definitely like it.”

Anyone know this The Witch movie?

I would like to see SYJ do a film that touches on the Me Too/feminism movement in SK. Yes, I know SITR touched on the issue of sexual harassment but I would like to see a powerful film on this issue, especially as it's been such a significant issue in SK in recent years especially with brave women coming forward.

The characters Son Ye-jin played were lovely women who lived by subjectivity rather than being conscious of others. As an actor, she loved the character she lacked. With compassion, I embraced their shortcomings. “I also liked the character that I didn't have, like In-a, <wife is married>. But in reality, I like wise people. Respect and love people who work seriously with conviction and a sense of mission no matter what they do. Lazy people don't seem to like it. Oh, but the charm should be felt by men, how long should the charm be felt by women (laughs)”

Yes, in reality, I like wise people too lol.  Not sure what the last sentence meant?  Men get away easier with being lazy/charming than women? ;) SYJ is definitely serious and committed about her work and a very had worker.  I feel women may have to work even harder than men to be taken seriously in the entertainment industry, as well as deal with other burdens that apply only to women.  I think empathy for characters they play, even unlikable ones, is a really important skill for an actor and SYJ gets that. 

Except for Son Ye-jin's appearance in the work, Sohn Seok-hee's <News Room> interview a few years ago is the most memorable. Son Ye-jin said, "I will try again in innocence."

Does anyone know which interview is this? 

“I am interested in small and fun stories that can be made with a small production cost, such as <Before Sunrise> and <Before Sunset>. There's a story about a really cool person sitting next to the plane. I have said that I want to make a movie like <Thelma and Lewis>. I'm interested in movies like road movies. And there's a German movie that was released in 1997 called Bandit. It's what's happening in a woman's prison. I got it on a video and watched it three times. Please take a look.”

YES!  I love small, intimate, well made movies which pack a punch/have something to say. Hope SYJ becomes a producer as well as actor of such movies.  Excited to learn she loves Before Sunrise/Sunset movies as they are 2 of my very favourite movies so I get what vibe she's after.  A female road movie as well as a women's prison movie would also be super cool.  Think Orange Is The New Black, Hallyu version. 

“The social structure is harsh for actors because they have various experiences. Even if you want to get drunk and buy, you shouldn't do that. (Laughs)” Son Ye-jin's way of pursuing newness is to be alone. During that time, I watch books, movies, and documentaries, feel a lot, and endeavor to receive new stimulation. When I finish my work and go on a trip abroad, I keep walking around downtown or anywhere. Sometimes I go to the Han River alone. He also likes to walk on the Han River with friends, but he said that when he walks alone, he feels like he really is.

i'm glad she has good friends now but it seems there's definitely an aspect of being a famous female actor that makes one solitary and even lonely at times. It's hard to be out, and hard to feel free when out, you always feel scrutinized and judged.  Especially in k-entertainment/Asian celebrity culture.  So I definitely understand how much she values her privacy and how she isn't on social media a lot.  But at the same time, actors want and need full experiences of the world so they can bring that to their art.  No wonder she loves travelling incognito. 

I would like to know more about SYJ's taste in books, movies and documentaries.

In the previous question that assumed'Son Ye-jin's retrospective', Son Ye-jin did not select the closing film. He said that it would take a few more works to know. Our hearts were the same. Son Ye-jin is an actor who wants to see the current screening more than the closing film. The more three-dimensional Son Ye-jin moves, the more the public will'believe' in her and see Son Ye-jin soon become'persuasive'. Besides, she does not know satisfaction. “No matter how hard I try, I cannot be completely satisfied when I ask if I did my best. So I think I have to work hard enough to die.”

I really do think there will be a SYJ retrospective one day as even now she's accumulated a good body of work.  But definitely the closing film is to be determined, not for a long time yet, I hope.  The Classic as opening film feels right.  I hope there'll be a 20th anniversary screening of AMTR (especially as it was such a big hit in Japan as well, her Japanese fanbase would love that) and that she and Jung Woo Sung will act together again.  I will be curious to see how their acting chemistry is now that they have both matured further as actors and in age. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@Seriya I love how much of a movie lover she is :) As for The Witch movie, I noticed in order to find what films are really being mentioned you have to look up the hangul: 마녀 . So it is this film: The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion here Looks like it came out on June 27 2018 :)  Not sure if it is noir since I haven't watched it before. 

Also SMART conversation #7 here

• Like 2

Thanks Helena for the news.  Seoul International awards seem confusing and vast difference from other drama awards. Thought SYJ won the best actress award & was so happy but was taken aback after seeing the above results that there are many categories like "best", "most outstanding" and "outstanding" in dramas & acting awards.

9 hours ago, forumsoomp said:

Thanks Helena for the news.  Seoul International awards seem confusing and vast difference from other drama awards. Thought SYJ won the best actress award & was so happy but was taken aback after seeing the above results that there are many categories like "best", "most outstanding" and "outstanding" in dramas & acting awards.

Best actress is a competition among nominated leading actresses from nominated tv series (mini series, tv series-drama, tv-series comedy, juvenile series and etc) around the world and, this time, a Korean actress won (some year it's German actress, some year Chinese, some year American etc.). Each country that has nominated one or more tv series usually has one best actress nominated. The best actress comes from one of those nominated series (International and all series categories). This year the mini series representing Korea was When the Camella Blooms (which is also nominated in Hallyu Drama Series Category), hence, Go Hyo Jin got nominated and won.

Hallyu Best Actress otherwise known as Most Outstanding Korean Actress is only given to Korean actress whom the judges thought was the best and represented the Korean wave around the world among the leading actresses in many Kdrama-series shown in the particular timeframe of the year, even if the mini-series they starred in were not nominated as best series (international and all series categories), they can still be nominated as Outstanding Korean Actress. In 2018, the top excellence for Hallyu drama was awarded to While You Were Sleeping and the excellence award for Hallyu Drama was awarded to Something in The Rain and Fight For My Way. But it was Son Ye Jin who won the Outstanding Korean Actress Award and Park Seo Joon got the Outstanding Korean Actor Award.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, forumsoomp said:

ending is very abrupt & too rush. Nice to have a sequel to see them married with the blessings of her parents, their future of career & kids. The script itself already makes viewers looking for more chemistries - kind of drama we enjoy to be entertained which does not have too much revenge.

You might want to try watching One Spring Night,the male actor is the same as SITR. I read that the female lead was initially offered to SYJ but she turned it down, though we don't know why by it seems that it was kind of similar to SITR. The show is not bad the female lead does have the same chemistry with JHI

• Like 1

@yejinatic1981Thanks for your clear explanation.  It's like the Korean version of the International Emmys.  Would be very cool if SYJ gets nominated for the International Emmys one day, no idea if she is submitting for CLOY or anything she's done in the past.  Though it seems WTCB is the representative critically acclaimed series for the year (does make me want to check it out!).  But as I said, I imagine for mature and seasoned actors like SYJ, an award is just the cherry on top thought it must always be nice to get recognition from your peers and industry professionals as well as the public.  The most important thing to them may be creating a piece of work that stands the test of time and I think there are many pieces of SYJ's work that meet that test. 

Just came across this old interview from the actor who played Eun Dong in CLOY where he talks about working with SYJ.  Are there other interviews with the supporting cast in CLOY where they talk about working with her? They all had such great chemistry together, especially the 5th company soldiers. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/213/0001155305

In particular, the affection for Tang Jun-sang led to Son Ye-jin's ad lib. Tang Jun-sang said, “There was a scene where Comrade Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin) mentioned one by one before giving us a suit gift to our 5th company.” “I was the'Kindness Prize Geum Eun-dong' as the script award. I came up with an idea by doing my head RickRoll'D.” 

Google translate is leaving me scratching my head a bit. So did SYJ ad lib something in that scene and what was it? I am curious to know if she did any ad libs in CLOY.  I don't know if that's actually allowed in kdrama or they basically have to stick closely with the script.

In addition, Tang Jun-sang said, “Son Ye-jin was laughing together at the set, but when she just entered the filming, she caught the emotion and shed tears immediately. Seeing that momentary immersion, I felt great. I was really good at acting, so I wanted to imitate it.” “Hyunbin hyung never put a script in my hand whenever I saw it. I always watched and practiced. I thought I was a pro after seeing the details of taking care of the smallest things. I learned a lot this time,” he admired. 

Yes, SYJ's ability to laugh one minute before 'action' and then turn on the tears the next is such an acting skill! Plus the ability to cry at the right moment the scene calls for it, not too soon, not too late.  To hit the emotional note just right. Like, how do you get that timing when you have to do more than one take?!  She must be a pro at crying by now but she had to cry some much in CLOY and her past melo works I wonder if she finds it draining. I remember she was scolded when she couldn't cry on queue at the very start of her career. How her skills have improved!

About Son Ye-jin and Hyun-bin, Tang Jun-sang said, “Every time I saw them at the set, I was spontaneously admired. Son Ye-jin's sister is really beautiful and pretty, and Hyun-bin's hyung is really handsome and cool.”  

Has SYJ worked with any of the supporting cast in CLOY before?  Is she friends with any of them?  Do younger actors really call SYJ noona?  

On 9/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, Seriya said:

Has SYJ worked with any of the supporting cast in CLOY before?  Is she friends with any of them?  Do younger actors really call SYJ noona?  

One of the ahjummas in NK was SYJ’s best friend in SITR. They had a lot more interactions there too.

I think Lee Min Ho calls her noona. So does Jung Hae In.

• Like 4

https://www.hellokpop.com/event/seoul-international-drama-awards-2020-winners/

Seoul International Drama Awards 2020 Endows Grand Prize To Brazil’s “Orphans of a Nation” + Complete List Of SDA 2020 Winners

By abbyinhallyuland | September 15, 2020

THE SEOUL INTERNATIONAL DRAMA AWARDS 2020 HIGHEST HONOR WENT TO ORPHANS OF A NATION FROM BRAZIL!

The Seoul International Drama Awards Organizing Committee (Chairman Sung-jae Park) announced the winners of SDA 2020 awards during the ceremony which was aired on MBC at 3 p.m. September 15.

This year, SDA 2020 highlight diversity of dramas, unconventional female character, short-form contents and the striking performance of Korean dramas.

Amongst the 212 dramas from 41 countries, 8 entries are nominated in each Program Category, including TV Movie, Mini-Series and Serial Drama, along with 4 from the Short-form category which was newly-established this year.

WINNER’S LIST IN INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION CATEGORY

•    THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER – ‘ORPHANS OF A NATION’ FROM BRAZIL

A 154-episode drama based on a novel in Brazil, combining various cultures, religions and ethnic backgrounds. The story is about a Syrian refugee heroine and a male main character from Lebanon, overcoming the challenges of their environment with family love and amid a violent whirlwind of fate, jealousy, obsession and escape.

The juries evaluated that the quality of the work was enhanced by a solid story composition that dealt with refugees and their plight, sophisticated visual aesthetics, and grand scale spanning continents.

•    THE GOLDEN BIRD PRIZE IN THE TV MOVIE WINNER – ‘THE TURNCOAT’ FROM GERMANY

The drama tells the story of a young German soldier and his love, agony and despair during the war in 1944. The Turncoat recorded 14% viewer ratings in Germany, and was evaluated as a drama with outstanding directing, story and music by SDA juries.

•    THE SILVER BIRD PRIZE IN THE TV MOVIE WINNER – ‘EVERYTHING AND NOTHING’ FROM SOUTH KOREA

Showing the power of Korean drama, the story tells the growing pains of ordinary 17 year old young people. Contributing to its evaluation as a well-made drama are its long-take edits and delicate directing.

•    THE GOLDEN BIRD PRIZE IN THE MINI-SERIES WINNER – ‘WORLD ON FIRE’ FROM UNITED KINGDOM

The drama drew upon the life of ordinary people during the Second World War through a realistic story and splendid picture.

•    THE SILVER BIRD PRIZE IN THE MINI-SERIES WINNER – ‘ITAEWON CLASS’ FROM SOUTH KOREA

Proving its quality of work and popularity, Itaewon Class presented a cathartic experience and moved viewers through the story of a poor, young man’s passionate revenge and success.

•    THE GOLDEN BIRD PRIZE IN SERIAL DRAMA WINNER – ‘BOLIVAR’ FROM COLOMBIA

Bolivar is a drama based on the true story of Simon Bolivar, a revolutionist who liberated Latin America from Spanish colonial rule.

•    THE SILVER BIRD PRIZE IN SERIAL DRAMA WINNER – ‘MR. FIGHTING’ FROM CHINA

The series recounts the story of an unknown entertainer’s rise to stardom and romance. The drama’s support for ordinary people who faithfully live their lives was highly complimented.

•    THE GOLDEN BIRD PRIZE IN SHORT-FORM WINNER – ‘18H30′ FROM FRANCE

Winning the newly established award this year,18h30 presents two main characters who are co-workers. They head to the bus stop together every evening at 6:30 p.m. The drama gathered the five-minute moments leading to the stop and realistically described changes in daily life and relationships.

This piece was highly evaluated for its challenging and detailed production and cinematography such as one scene, one cut.

——
WINNER’S LIST IN INDIVIDUAL INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION CATEGORY 

•    WHEN THE CAMELLIA BLOOMS WINS THE BEST ACTRESS & BEST SCREENWRITER PRIZES

Gong Hyo Jin of When the Camellia Blooms won the Best Actress Prize in the individual prize category. She was highly praised for her role and irreplaceable acting as Dongbaek, the character who is surrounded by prejudices but has a strong character. 

Lim Sang Choon, the author of the aforementioned series was selected for the Best Screenwriter Prize. His humorous and sophisticated lines were praised for adding quality to the drama.

•    BEST ACTOR & BEST DIRECTOR PRIZES PLUS JURY’S SPECIAL PRIZES

The Best Actor Prize was given to British actor Waleed Zuaiter, who led the story with his thoughtful acting skills in Baghdad Central. Adam Smith of World on Fire won the Best Director Prize, giving the series a double crown following the Golden Bird Prize in the Mini-Series category.

Jury’s Special Prize was given to The Cage from the Czech Republic. It narrates a psychological thriller about an elderly and young man who claimed to be her distant relative.

The other winner is South Korea’s XX which tells a refreshing revenge story about friendship and love among young people, starring actress Hani Ahn and Seung-Eon Hwang.

—————————————————————————————————

WINNER’S LIST NON-COMPETITION CATEGORY 

•    #LEADERS OF HALLYU #A FEAST OF GREAT ACTING #POPULAR REMAKE OF KOREAN DRAMAS

The Excellent Korean Drama Prize in the Outstanding Korean Drama category was achieved by When the Camellia Blooms. Actor Kang Ha Neul, who captivated the television screen with his savory Chungcheong dialect and pure charm in the series, also won the Outstanding Korean Actor Prize in the Outstanding Korean Drama category.

At the same time, the Outstanding Korean Drama OST Prize was awarded to Punch with “Like a Heroine in the Movie”, OST for When the Camellia Blooms. As a result, the drama scored five (5) prizes this year, following the Best Screenwriter, Best Actress in International Competition category.

Actress Son Ye Jin, who showed her unrivaled presence in Crash Landing on You, won the Outstanding Korean Actress Prize in the Outstanding Korean Drama category.

Crash Landing on You, Hot Stove League and Extraordinary You, which were loved by drama fans from all over the world beyond Korea, received the Outstanding Korean Drama Prize.

Asian Star Prize was awarded to Ryusei Yokohama, a rising star in Japan, playing an important role in the Japanese drama Your Turn to Kill, which was one of the entries of SDA; and to Dingdong Dantes who played the lead role in the Philippines version of Descendants of the Sun.

The Most Popular Foreign Drama of the Year, which is an award for global dramas loved by TV viewers around the world, went to the U.S. drama Snowpiercer, a remake of director Joon-Ho Bong’s original film, and to the Philippine adaptation of Descendants of the Sun, based on the KBS drama, and The New Pope starring Jude Law and John Malkovich.

Congratulations to all the winners of the Seoul International Drama Awards 2020!

PR Source: SDA 2020 Organizing Committee

International Competition

Grand Prize: “Orphans of a Nation” (Brazil)

TV Movie Golden Bird Prize: “The Turncoat” (Germany)
TV Movie Silver Bird Prize: “Everything and Nothing” (South Korea)

Mini-Series Golden Bird Prize: “World on Fire” (United Kingdom)
Mini-Series Silver Bird Prize: “Itaewon Class” (South Korea)
Serial Drama Golden Bird Prize: “Bolívar” (Colombia)
Serial Drama Silver Bird Prize: “Mr. Fighting” (China)

Short-Form Drama Golden Bird Prize: “18h30” (France)
Best Actor: Waleed Zuaiter (“Baghdad Central”, United Kingdom)
Best Actress: Gong Hyo Jin (“When the Camellia Blooms”, South Korea)
Best Screenwriter: Im Sang Choon (“When the Camellia Blooms”, South Korea)
Best Director: Adam Smith (“World on Fire”, United Kingdom)
Jury’s Special Prize: “The Cage” (Czech Republic), “XX” (South Korea)

Non-Competition  

Excellent (Most Outstanding) Korean Drama: “When the Camellia Blooms”
Outstanding Korean Drama: “Crash Landing on You,” “Stove League,” “Extraordinary You”
Outstanding Korean Actor: Kang Ha Neul (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
Outstanding Korean Actress: Son Ye Jin (“Crash Landing on You”)

Outstanding Korean Drama OST: Like a Heroine in the Movie - Punch (“When the Camellia Blooms”)

Asian Star Prize: Dingdong Dantes (Philippines), Yokohama Ryusei (Japan)

Most Popular Foreign Drama: “Snowpiercer” (United States), “Descendants of the Sun” (Philippines), “The New Pope” (Italy)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, slowpoked said:

One of the ahjummas in NK was SYJ’s best friend in SITR. They had a lot more interactions there too.

I am terrible.  I didn't realise it was the same actress until you pointed it out!  *headdesk* Still halfway through SITR.  

Does anyone know how SYJ and Lee Jung Hyun became friends?  Watched this random video commentary of the wedding guest fashions at LJH's wedding and I dare say I liked SYJ's clean look the best. I read that SYJ introduced LJH to her Cinderella group.  How did the Cinderella group get to know each other and form?  Is there one of the group that SYJ is closest with? I think it's awesome that SYJ went from not really having any close actress friends in her 20s to having such a tight knit group in her 30s.  Having close girlfriends is such a great thing in life.  It's always better when women are supporting each other even when working in the same industry.

Does SYJ's sister live in Seoul or she lives in the US?  I read that they used to live together before?  She's not in the entertainment business at all?

Then there was another random video commentary on all the furniture shown in SYJ's house lol.  Interior design clearly seems to be one of SYJ's passions.  She follows a few interior design accounts on IG.  Was it a surprise to fans that SYJ chose to open part of her house for filming for that Master variety show?  She seems like such a private person.  Does anyone know who is the artist of the paintings shown in her house?  And what a coincidence or not that SYJ and Seri both had the coffee table from the same designer. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Seriya said:

Then there was another random video commentary on all the furniture shown in SYJ's house lol.  Interior design clearly seems to be one of SYJ's passions.  She follows a few interior design accounts on IG.  Was it a surprise to fans that SYJ chose to open part of her house for filming for that Master variety show?  She seems like such a private person.  Does anyone know who is the artist of the paintings shown in her house?  And what a coincidence or not that SYJ and Seri both had the coffee table from the same designer. 

I think she not a private person at all, but she known what and when she will show up and that's I like, so I hope another fans respect when she inactive in her SNS.

• Like 2
  • Love 1