Quantcast
Jump to content
Berou

Yoo Seung Ho 유승호 ユ・スンホ 俞 承 豪 [upcoming drama: memorist]

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Berou said:

Which makes me frowning very hard. I don't understand why YSH is considering it knowing the Ruler's mess. He himself emphasized how much he suffered during the filming. He should have avoided this drama and should avoid any drama from Ruler team. 

Exactly. Thats what.  After Ruler's mess I thought he had learned his lesson and would avoid them in future but guess not.  Tbh I dont know what to think anymore. Maybe he is trying to show he has no regrets choosing such half baked projects? and would continue to do the same in future too? Sigh people are already saying he has no eye for choosing projects (pretty sure read an article saying the same thing somewhere but forgot)  and if this drama flops there is only gonna be more talk in the town.

27 minutes ago, See Wong said:

Most of us really worried about he will be stereotyped! Why BS company not seeing this! Is BS have some others plan? make him a Kpop Idol type! 

Did anyone know which TV Channel taking this project?

He might have been forgotten! He said no more Romcom after IANAR too! :bawling:

Maybe BS thinks this project is good than his previous ones? Not sure but I think it also depends on what the actor chooses and not chooses to do. If Yoo Seung ho wants to do romcoms only then I am not sure BS can do much about it. I dont know which channel its going to be aired. Tbh I was so disappointed that I didnt even bother to dig in more about the show. Still recovering from the shock of him considering third romcom in a row lol. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest news : his korean fans are about to send an email to his agency for plea. The big issue is some scenes in the webnovel :mellow:. And they highly dislike his character

Im trying to understand but it's hard. Can anyone find the webtoon and post it here? 

 

45 minutes ago, MrsYeoWoon said:

Exactly. Thats what.  After Ruler's mess I thought he had learned his lesson and would avoid them in future but guess not.  Tbh I dont know what to think anymore. Maybe he is trying to show he has no regrets choosing such half baked projects? and would continue to do the same in future too? Sigh people are already saying he has no eye for choosing projects (pretty sure read an article saying the same thing somewhere but forgot)  and if this drama flops there is only gonna be more talk in the town

Im just shaking my head and I don't know what to think too. What is he trying to prove? He know Ruler was really bad, he read the reactions and online comments. 

Indeed he is always on the list of actors who are bad at picking dramas. I can already forsee the incoming bad feedback about his pick. 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rahma92 said:

Err I guess everyone in here didnt like it.

Unpopular opinion for me:

 

http://koalasplayground.com/2019/05/22/yoo-seung-ho-the-male-lead-for-rom-com-k-drama-super-star-ms-lee/

Looks like this is not just pure romcom, its fantasy too. This is a good thing. 

Honestly, I dont felt the plot is cheesy, it sound interisting for me :sweatingbullets: 

The female lead will hard carried this drama too, I hope they cast a good one. (Im not sure about this top actreess rumour)

the PD from ruler and doctors, so the drama will be more heavy, another a good thing for me. (I dont have any problems with this PD). My problem just YSH's character, tho we still dont know if he will become a cold type or a cute one, I want him in mature character, but the description kinda...

Did someone already read the novel? I really want to confirm his character. 

 

No, haven't read it but adaptations can be very different. Love your blog by the way :wub: and agree that fantasy can work well in a rom com---the cliche elements like people have mentioned and the very fact that Ruler's shadow is over this script makes me frown. I know I'll end up watching this because I end up watching a lot of shows because of cast and deciding after a few episodes if I'm staying. Who knows.

 

oh  @WoozyPrincess don't even get me started about Yeo Woon. I could write a book. My fave. :wub: YSH shone in that role---the script was wobbly and the end was terrible, but unlike Ruler Master of the Mask, where the script was flawed from the beginning, WBDS had some high moments and good characterizations and went to hell with plotholes all over the place--and like too many dramas, ended hurriedly with no proper resolution. I was fed up with Ruler from the get-go because the mask concept, while interesting, was so poorly executed---I mean, the super tall bodyguard wore it and wasn't recognized as a different person? This could work onstage, has worked as a device in Shakespeare, but even as a sageuk fantasy--I was just not buying any of it in Ruler. No amount of pretty scenery or good casting could make up for the script.

 

Sometimes I wonder how many good scripts there really are out there, how many of them are ruined by directors during production, and if we can really blame actors and agencies for their choices. in this case with YSH though, I definitely want to support his life choices and with him happiness, I definitely want to see his talents onscreen again, but it seemed a no-brainer for me to go with a THIRD rom com? WHY PICK A ROM COM SCRIPT WITH SO MANY CLICHES? Does he really want to establish himself as a romantic lead? I don't know. Is being in the body of a girl and playing girly (I'm already wincing at sexist stereotypes) really going to do that? There are so many red flags about this choice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Berou said:

Latest news : his korean fans are about to send an email to his agency for plea. The big issue is some scenes in the webnovel :mellow:. And they highly dislike his character

 

 

 

 

 

  

Interested too about the character. How bad can he be and aren't these chaebols always redeemed anyway.  LOL about the email to agency. I don't know why I was suddenly struck with image of hundreds of scholars outside the palace petitioning chona! Like in dramas. :lol: Don't let Yoo Seung-ho-ssi ruin his career! We beg of you! Don't let him play a terrible man who takes his shirt off! Not another rom com! :lol: Chona!

  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another trustworthy article.  Hancinema is a reliable source unlike korean drama portal. It is said no actress is rumoured yet. William Schwartz got the name of the agency wrong lol. If YSH gets other poor performances,  he will say adios to BS sooner than expected, bestie or not.

 

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-yoo-seung-ho-considers-appearing-in-superstar-miss-lee-129891.html

 

[HanCinema's News] Yoo Seung-ho Considers Appearing in "Superstar Miss Lee"

 

photo1065127.jpg

 

On May 22nd Yoo Seung-ho's agency, Base Company, announced that the actor is currently mulling over an offer to star in "Superstar Miss Lee". The planned drama is based off of a webtoon of the same title, where the plot revolves around soul swapping between the female protagonist and an actress.

No word is forthcoming on what actresses are being considered for the role. However, the prospects of the project will rise considerably if Yoo Seung-ho's name is attached to the drama. This would be his first project since "My Strange Hero" ended earlier this year.

"Superstar Miss Lee" is also the first news released regarding Yoo Seung-ho's career since he changed agencies to Base Company. The move was likely prompted by the poor performance of Yoo Seung-ho's last two projects, "My Strange Hero" and "I'm Not a Robot". At present Yoo Seung-ho's only career plans are to go to a fan meeting in Japan.

Written by William Schwartz

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berou said:

Latest news : his korean fans are about to send an email to his agency for plea. The big issue is some scenes in the webnovel :mellow:. And they highly dislike his character

Im trying to understand but it's hard. Can anyone find the webtoon and post it here? 

 

Im just shaking my head and I don't know what to think too. What is he trying to prove? He know Ruler was really bad, he read the reactions and online comments. 

Indeed he is always on the list of actors who are bad at picking dramas. I can already forsee the incoming bad feedback about his pick. 

 

 

 

Oh so Korean fans are against it too? Do the pleas work? I have never heard about something like this but lets see and hope that the plea works, he rejects this offer and gets some big ticket project instead. Cuz this one just doesnt sounds so good and considering his picks lately, he is being as (I dunno how to put it) dangerous /focused/ serious about them as drifting or motocross.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Berou said:

Another trustworthy article.  Hancinema is a reliable source unlike korean drama portal. It is said no actress is rumoured yet. William Schwartz go the name of the agency wrong lol. If YSH gets other poor performances,  he will say adios to BS sooner than expected. 

 

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-yoo-seung-ho-considers-appearing-in-superstar-miss-lee-129891.html

 

[HanCinema's News] Yoo Seung-ho Considers Appearing in "Superstar Miss Lee

 

There we go again with the *poor performance*  and *only* career plans. The news seem authentic and it doesnt seems like he is gonna give up on it unless the plea works or he gets offered some miraculous project which gets his eye. Btw have you watched secret garden? The story mentioned above sounds similiar to it. The ML and FL body swapped there as well and it was a hit too but I dunno if this team would be able to pull off something that has already been tried and dusted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, See Wong said:

I still cannot immagine PSH,HHJ will be interesting to taking part of this type of drama!? if only this is a super big project! but no matter what! If YSH really take this offer! I will still wish him luck and will give it a try!! 

Lets wait for female lead news. I think it will make a big different.

1 hour ago, Berou said:

Latest news : his korean fans are about to send an email to his agency for plea. The big issue is some scenes in the webnovel :mellow:. And they highly dislike his character

Im trying to understand but it's hard. Can anyone find the webtoon and post it here? 

Yes korean fans in naver dislike this idea too. Im trying to search it but cant find it. Maybe we need to use hangul?

1 hour ago, debbiechan said:

 

No, haven't read it but adaptations can be very different. Love your blog by the way :wub: and agree that fantasy can work well in a rom com---the cliche elements like people have mentioned and the very fact that Ruler's shadow is over this script makes me frown. I know I'll end up watching this because I end up watching a lot of shows because of cast and deciding after a few episodes if I'm staying. Who knows.

Thats not my blog, dear, I just shared it :D there's big possibility he will take this project. Yes I will be in the same route like you, give it try and deciding after two episode. I honestly still not sure with this project, even if its have a good script, I dont know YSH will get a spotlight with this kind of drama. I hope we have another choice

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rahma92 said:

Yes korean fans in naver dislike this idea too. Im trying to search it but cant find it. Maybe we need to use hangul

 Right there is some dissension in naver news too.

I've found finally the webtoon. It's in korean:sweatingbullets:

https://m.novel.naver.com/webnovel/list.nhn?novelId=494453

 

47 minutes ago, MrsYeoWoon said:

 

Oh so Korean fans are against it too? Do the pleas work? I have never heard about something like this but lets see and hope that the plea works, he rejects this offer and gets some big ticket project instead. Cuz this one just doesnt sounds so good and considering his picks lately, he is being as (I dunno how to put it) dangerous /focused/ serious about them as drifting or motocross.

It's also the first time for me too. I don't know if the pleas will work but we should never underestimate the power of angry fans,especially korean yoopies. His korean fans were able to dissolve his previous official fanclub, Talk To U, in the span of 5/6 days. Sometimes casting news get leaked and koreans get really angry, the casting team then takes into consideration the feedback and changes actors. 

If the deal is sealed,  nothing can be done. If YSH is really into talks, there is some hope left and in any case it will look badly on him to have ignored his fans pleas if he accepts it. I don't know whether it's BS guiding him to choose this romcom or if he really wants to film another romcom. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rahma92 said:

Lets wait for female lead news. I think it will make a big different.

Yes korean fans in naver dislike this idea too. Im trying to search it but cant find it. Maybe we need to use hangul?

Thats not my blog, dear, I just shared it :D there's big possibility he will take this project. Yes I will be in the same route like you, give it try and deciding after two episode. I honestly still not sure with this project, even if its have a good script, I dont know YSH will get a spotlight with this kind of drama. I hope we have another choice

 

 

Seems like many of his fans really againts it! yeah! I am like you too.. I will give it a try!  :) I might be very dissapointed or I may be feeling interesting after few episodes! as long as no red lipstick that put me off straight away! :blink:

Still have many questions.. did he not said he will not want anymore Romcom after IANAR! then one and another! maybe he finally fell in love with romcom!? or BS guide him and advice him it is a right choice?

Yeah.. Just wait and wish for a big name for the female lead! this drama title already said it all.. the female lead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Berou said:

...I don't know if the pleas will work but we should never underestimate the power of angry fans,especially korean yoopies. His korean fans were able to dissolve his previous official fanclub, Talk To U, in the span of 5/6 days. Sometimes casting news get leaked and koreans get really angry, the casting team then takes into consideration the feedback and changes actors. 

 

Wow. That's so interesting. Thanks for that information. Culturally, that makes sense. "What other people think" seems to be an important construct in Korea more so than here in my country. I hope the pleas for better script choices for a talented actor make an impact. They are well-intentioned.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Berou said:

 Right there is some dissension in naver news too.

I've found finally the webtoon. It's in korean:sweatingbullets:

https://m.novel.naver.com/webnovel/list.nhn?novelId=494453

 

It's also the first time for me too. I don't know if the pleas will work but we should never underestimate the power of angry fans,especially korean yoopies. His korean fans were able to dissolve his previous official fanclub, Talk To U, in the span of 5/6 days. Sometimes casting news get leaked and koreans get really angry, the casting team then takes into consideration the feedback and changes actors. 

If the deal is sealed,  nothing can be done. If YSH is really into talks, there is some hope left and in any case it will look badly on him to have ignored his fans pleas if he accepts it. I don't know whether it's BS guiding him to choose this romcom or if he really wants to film another romcom. 

I hope the deal wasn't seal yet! I guess both of them agreed and choose this romcom together! BS will listen to him if he really don't want it! he may see something different from us! anyway it is a bit different! Its fantasy romcom!:blink: He already said he is too young to play a doctor! I think he already know what he is going to do during the FM.  Just wish him luck if he going to take this project! I know you will be very very dissapointed!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Berou said:

 Right there is some dissension in naver news too.

I've found finally the webtoon. It's in korean:sweatingbullets:

https://m.novel.naver.com/webnovel/list.nhn?novelId=494453

 

It's also the first time for me too. I don't know if the pleas will work but we should never underestimate the power of angry fans,especially korean yoopies. His korean fans were able to dissolve his previous official fanclub, Talk To U, in the span of 5/6 days. Sometimes casting news get leaked and koreans get really angry, the casting team then takes into consideration the feedback and changes actors. 

If the deal is sealed,  nothing can be done. If YSH is really into talks, there is some hope left and in any case it will look badly on him to have ignored his fans pleas if he accepts it. I don't know whether it's BS guiding him to choose this romcom or if he really wants to film another romcom. 

 

No I  wasnt underestimating them or anything (never underestimate the power of angry fan(s) it can get dangerous lol) , I just didnt knew the extent of power they had or the extent to which their pleas would be heard. I didnt knew about this fanclub incident  either or what was the reason behind it but 5/6 days?! Woah they sound some pretty serious fans. As for the project you are right, if he has already signed the dotted line then nothing can be done about it and by the looks of it the deal seems pretty much done and very much according to his own choice (well apparently). Earlier he did serious roles, lately he opted for mostly cutiepie roles. Seems like he is an extreme, either/or kinda guy. Either he picks too sad projects OR he picks totally fluffy ones with no in betweens. I understood when he did INAR that he wanted to breakout of his previous image but he has done 2 romcoms already which is enough to break an image imo. Going for the third isnt gonna break his previous image more than the last two ones. Trying different genres and seeing which one he excels at (although I do think historicals and melos are his forte but thats just my unpopular opinion) is gonna give his career a boost and his image the much needed change. Truth be said acting is a very very competitive business. Things just cant and shouldnt be taken for granted that too after repeated drawbacks. Not everyone this good looking, this talented gets the chance to act. I know poor guy has some past issues related to being part of the industry and he has my full sympathy and support but if he is to continue then he has to try his hands on different genres too otherwise his career looks bleak (unless some miracle happens and his romcom with no strong backing does becomes a huge unexpected hit) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, debbiechan said:

 

Wow. That's so interesting. Thanks for that information. Culturally, that makes sense. "What other people think" seems to be an important construct in Korea more so than here in my country. I hope the pleas for better script choices for a talented actor make an impact. They are well-intentioned.

I feel the other way! Korean tend to be persistent with what they decided! like YSH, he do not want to appear in reality show and he never did! he decided no more film/movie after his last two has flops ( I still think Seondal wasn't too bad on box office) and he hasn't have any movie yet! I think If he has decided what to do next he won't be easily change his mind! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, See Wong said:

I hope the deal wasn't seal yet! I guess both of them agreed and choose this romcom together! BS will listen to him if he really don't want it! he may see something different from us! anyway it is a bit different! Its fantasy romcom!:blink: He already said he is too young to play a doctor! I think he already know what he is going to do during the FM.  Just wish him luck if he going to take this project! I know you will be very very dissapointed!

 

I second you on this. He must be knowing about this when he went for the FM and maybe he was offered a doctor's role too? thats why he said he was too young and probably rejected the offer?  I do think he can easily pull off a doctor's role though. The character could have been changed to a med student or an intern. Its the 3rd year and final year residents who are mostly a bit older or those who have completed their residency / Head of departments etc etc. Not exactly sure about Korea but usually interns and fresh graduates are pretty much around his age group and he would have been able to pull off his role easily. He has done that in the past too. I never felt awkward seeing him play characters older than his age. He pulled them off easily with grace. Every fan wishes him luck and wants the best for him. Some of us just get disappointed sometimes but doesnt mean we dont wish him luck or sucess :( I for one have been very disappointed with his choices lately but I always wish the best for him and I always wait anxiously if the next project he does comes out to be good or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, See Wong said:

I feel the other way! Korean tend to be persistent with what they decided! like YSH, he do not want to appear in reality show and he never did! he decided no more film/movie after his last two has flops ( I still think Seondal wasn't too bad on box office) and he hasn't have any movie yet! I think If he has decided what to do next he won't be easily change his mind! 

 

 

:) i like that about YSH. He does what he wants. I like that he has said things in interviews that go against what other actors say (such as he has been outspoken about disliking studying--although polite--and saying he didn't want to go to college and that it would be taking a person's place who did want to go--he thinks things out well--all the more reason why his choice of scripts ... is puzzling). Yes, you are right--he seems to do what he wants to do. But maybe fans can influence the agency--and yes, it would be seen as rude and inconsiderate to disregard what fans express with his best interests in mind. I think that part of Korean culture is real; businesses do take into serious consideration their market responses.

 

I don't know what will happen with this rom com thing. The announcement itself seems to point to the decision practically being a done deal. But who knows. I'm very curious now.  I had no idea that Korean fans were opposed to his being in rom coms too. I'll look at the webcomic link and on Naver later. This is all very interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MrsYeoWoon said:

 

No I  wasnt underestimating them or anything (never underestimate the power of angry fan(s) it can get dangerous lol) , I just didnt knew the extent of power they had or the extent to which their pleas would be heard. I didnt knew about this fanclub incident  either or what was the reason behind it but 5/6 days?! Woah they sound some pretty serious fans. As for the project you are right, if he has already signed the dotted line then nothing can be done about it and by the looks of it the deal seems pretty much done and very much according to his own choice (well apparently). Earlier he did serious roles, lately he opted for mostly cutiepie roles. Seems like he is an extreme, either/or kinda guy. Either he picks too sad projects OR he picks totally fluffy ones with no in betweens. I understood when he did INAR that he wanted to breakout of his previous image but he has done 2 romcoms already which is enough to break an image imo. Going for the third isnt gonna break his previous image more than the last two ones. Trying different genres and seeing which one he excels at (although I do think historicals and melos are his forte but thats just my unpopular opinion) is gonna give his career a boost and his image the much needed change. Truth be said acting is a very very competitive business. Things just cant and shouldnt be taken for granted that too after repeated drawbacks. Not everyone this good looking, this talented gets the chance to act. I know poor guy has some past issues related to being part of the industry and he has my full sympathy and support but if he is to continue then he has to try his hands on different genres too otherwise his career looks bleak (unless some miracle happens and his romcom with no strong backing does becomes a huge unexpected hit) 

Oh! very well said! :) Yes, I am one very supported and a fan of his unit personality! at the same time, some times get really dissappointing with what he chosed! hiding himself is one of them! choosing another romcom is another! for us, his career looks bleak if this drama really going to happen! but for him, he just do what he like to do! like his hobbies! can be very dangerous but he loves it! as a fan, we give him our best wishes and best support! just hope that his bad choice ( for most of us here, and now we know many of his Korean fans too ) will not ruin his chance for his future! a bad drama after another.. who's going to give him so many chances! 

TBH after found out he change his manager I am very happy and have a high hope! I thought he will come out more often or even do some reality show!! now... I am shredded! I think this is his choice! BS didn't influence him very much! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys Im new to this forum and I rarely comment at all. But I just want to let you guys know specifically why korean fans are so against him doing this drama. 

Theres really no problem about the body switching part. The problem is who the male character is. He's not just a tsundere male lead. He is complete trash that views women as objects and looks down on women.

I am a Korean American seungho fan. Ive been reading about this webtoon and korean fans comments. Ill try my best to translate.

 

Examples of how the male lead looks down on females:

1. Male lead sees a female employee not wearing makeup

he says "you are the first woman to appear in front of me with such an insincere/half hearted face. even normal maids have the decency to at least wear lipstick"

2. this line is kind of hard to translate to english. Ill try my best.

"I am a male who isnt picky and is omnivorous when it comes to women"

Ok omnivore means animal who eats both plants and animals. This comment basically means the male character doesnt care about anything as long as she is a girl. In an extreme way this can be translated as "I can sleep with anyone as long as its a girl, Im not picky."

 

obviously this isnt all. theres more but i cant translate it all.

 

Not only the male lead, but other male characters in the story also look down on women and say comments that objectify them. they make r rated comments about their bodies etc.

 

Other problems

-the male character looks down on normal employees. making them do unnecessary tasks etc. Nowadays when people are sensitive about employee treatment and not abusing authority. this can definitely spark controversy. 

 

-the first girlfriend of the male lead character was a school bully. Korea is extremely sensitive to bullying issues and hate it a lot.the fact that the male lead's girlfriend was a school bully? thats a big NO no matter how charming the character may be written out to be. just that fact will bring hate.

 

Korean fans are saying sure the writer may be able to change the story to make it better, but just how much better can it get when the entire story is like this? Why take the risk at all? Also, even if its just "acting" its the actor in the end who gets the hate.(a lot of people are fans of the drama so I really dont want to hurt any feelings. but for the drama i am not a robot in the first episodes, there was a line that mingyu said about checking the robot's chest to check the battery and since the robot was actually human she gets mad. do you know what the title of the article on naver was that day? it was "yoo seung ho gets cursed at while trying to touch (actress's name)'s breasts" yes. this was the article title on the MAIN PAGE. he got so much hate comments for this scene even if it was just acting. this is how much the character and what lines the character says in the drama can hurt the actual actor and his image with the general public. that drama was definitely special for many people and it was a work that in the end healed many people's hearts. but the general public does not stick around to be proven wrong. if they watch the first couple episodes and find it controversial, they wont try to finish the rest and think of the actor negatively based on what they watched in the beginning.)

Unless yoo seungho wants to go for the playboy image that looks down on women, this role will not help him at all. especially when he is known for his respectful and kind image and thats what people like him for. 

Just in what way can this help a male actor who mainly relies on the female fanbase? 

Also, i dont think having three romcoms in a row will help his career. he needs something different especially when his previous two romcoms didnt do so well viewer ratings wise.

 

I just wanted to share this so people can be more informed. 

I was looking at social media and some fans just seemed to be excited because this drama seems to have lots of steamy scenes like kiss scenes, shirtless scenes, and bed scenes.

Well, an actor should not be be well known for doing good kiss scenes and good looking face. he needs to be recognized for his acting to have a successful long running career and this role is just not it. he needs a strong role that can bring him recognition for his acting.

 

 

I just tried to translate what I got from Korean sites. I'm sorry if I hurt any seungho fan's feelings. I really didnt mean to. I was just trying to be honest because I really want him to be recognized for his acting. I really want him to succeed and hit big. Im sure we all feel that way.

  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rachel98 said:

Hi guys Im new to this forum and I rarely comment at all. But I just want to let you guys know specifically why korean fans are so against him doing this drama. 

Theres really no problem about the body switching part. The problem is who the male character is. He's not just a tsundere male lead. He is complete trash that views women as objects and looks down on women.

I am a Korean American seungho fan. Ive been reading about this webtoon and korean fans comments. Ill try my best to translate.

 

Examples of how the male lead looks down on females:

1. Male lead sees a female employee not wearing makeup

he says "you are the first woman to appear in front of me with such an insincere/half hearted face. even normal maids have the decency to at least wear lipstick"

2. this line is kind of hard to translate to english. Ill try my best.

"I am a male who isnt picky and is omnivorous when it comes to women"

Ok omnivore means animal who eats both plants and animals. This comment basically means the male character doesnt care about anything as long as she is a girl. In an extreme way this can be translated as "I can sleep with anyone as long as its a girl, Im not picky."

 

obviously this isnt all. theres more but i cant translate it all.

 

Not only the male lead, but other male characters in the story also look down on women and say comments that objectify them. they make r rated comments about their bodies etc.

 

Other problems

-the male character looks down on normal employees. making them do unnecessary tasks etc. Nowadays when people are sensitive about employee treatment and not abusing authority. this can definitely spark controversy. 

 

-the first girlfriend of the male lead character was a school bully. Korea is extremely sensitive to bullying issues and hate it a lot.the fact that the male lead's girlfriend was a school bully? thats a big NO no matter how charming the character may be written out to be. just that fact will bring hate.

 

Korean fans are saying sure the writer may be able to change the story to make it better, but just how much better can it get when the entire story is like this? Why take the risk at all? Also, even if its just "acting" its the actor in the end who gets the hate.(a lot of people are fans of the drama so I really dont want to hurt any feelings. but for the drama i am not a robot in the first episodes, there was a line that mingyu said about checking the robot's chest to check the battery and since the robot was actually human she gets mad. do you know what the title of the article on naver was that day? it was "yoo seung ho gets cursed at while trying to touch (actress's name)'s breasts" yes. this was the article title on the MAIN PAGE. he got so much hate comments for this scene even if it was just acting. this is how much the character and what lines the character says in the drama can hurt the actual actor and his image with the general public. that drama was definitely special for many people and it was a work that in the end healed many people's hearts. but the general public does not stick around to be proven wrong. if they watch the first couple episodes and find it controversial, they wont try to finish the rest and think of the actor negatively based on what they watched in the beginning.)

Unless yoo seungho wants to go for the playboy image that looks down on women, this role will not help him at all. especially when he is known for his respectful and kind image and thats what people like him for. 

Just in what way can this help a male actor who mainly relies on the female fanbase? 

Also, i dont think having three romcoms in a row will help his career. he needs something different especially when his previous two romcoms didnt do so well viewer ratings wise.

 

I just wanted to share this so people can be more informed. 

I was looking at social media and some fans just seemed to be excited because this drama seems to have lots of steamy scenes like kiss scenes, shirtless scenes, and bed scenes.

Well, an actor should not be be well known for doing good kiss scenes and good looking face. he needs to be recognized for his acting to have a successful long running career and this role is just not it. he needs a strong role that can bring him recognition for his acting.

 

 

I just tried to translate what I got from Korean sites. I'm sorry if I hurt any seungho fan's feelings. I really didnt mean to. I was just trying to be honest because I really want him to be recognized for his acting. I really want him to succeed and hit big. Im sure we all feel that way.

 

Thank you so much for clarifying. I just started shaking a little, though. I am far from puritanical, but if the script is anything close to the original character, this sounds like a disasterous career move for YSH. A main character who demeans women isn't someone I want to see at all---I don't care how redeemed he is eventually. Or how "sexy" people find this sort of character. Forgive me, but I have always expected better of YSH. Bed scenes? The context matters in a script. I don't mind bed scenes if the characterization and script are well done, but everything about this tells me nothing will be done right. The character you're describing sounds like a playboy, and fans are excited about fanservice?  Gratuitous sexy stuff? No, just no. Forgive me, really, Yoo Seung-ho. This isn't how to show that you're grown-up.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly why korean fans are going crazy and emailing bs company everyday to prevent this from happening. This will ruin his image too much :(

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...