20100325152858779e7_153326_1.jpg

20100325152858779e7_153326_0.jpg

20100325153029778e7_153326_1.jpg

0330101844barzaar7.jpg

0330101844barzaar6.jpg

0330101844barzaar5.jpg

0330101844barzaar4.jpg

via Newsen, http://greentime81.tistory.com/21

Actress Bae Doo Na recently did a photoshoot for the magazine Harper’s Bazaar, entitled “BRIT GIRL”. The photos are set to appear in the magazine’s April edition. In them, she’s wearing clothes from the fashion brand KIETH’s spring/summer collection. [...]

Source: Dahee's Plastic Castle

News / News / News / News / News

Bae Doo-na says "Doll" nude scene filming was "surprising"

20100325194513_003004.jpg

Korean actress Bae Doo-na said she was surprised by the number of staff who were present for the filming of her skin-baring scenes in Japanese movie "Air Doll".

Present at a press conference for the film held Thursday at a CGV Multiplex in Seoul, the actress made the remark in response to a question asking what the main difference on set was between shooting a Korean versus Japanese film.

"When an actress is shooting a nude or bed scene in Korea, there are very few staff members on set -- like only the director, cinematographer and boom mike operator," said the actress. "But my first scene [in "Doll"] was a nude scene and I was very surprised because there were so many staff members and I felt this is really different."

The actress went onto explain, "Other than that, there weren't that many big differences so nothing was too difficult, but because I was portraying a doll, I had a tough time dealing with the makeup and the cold."

20100325194513_003006.jpg

"Doll", directed by noted Japanese filmmaker Koreeda Hirokazu whose previous works include "After Life" and "Nobody Knows", was invited to several major international film events such as at Cannes, Toronto and Rotterdam.

The Korean actress has received much praise for her acting in the film, becoming the first foreign actress to win three trophies for best actress in Japan -- at the 2009 Japan Academy Awards, Tokyo Sports Movie Awards and Takasaki Film Festival.

The fantasy melodrama pic is about a doll named Nozomi, played by Bae, who falls in love with a video store employee Junichi, played by Japanese actor Arata, gradually becomes a human being.

Bae, 30, has appeared in many television dramas and films including "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (2002) and the Korean box-office hit "The Host" (2006). She most recently starred as an English teacher in the popular KBS2 TV series "Master of Study".

"Air Doll" opens in Korea on April 8.

Reporter : Cho Bum-ja anju1015@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Koreeda wants to work with Song Kang-ho,Sul Kyung-gu

20100325194513_003002.jpg

Japanese filmmaker Koreeda Hirokazu of "Air Doll" has said that he wants to shoot a movie with top Korean actors Song Kang-ho and Sul Kyung-gu.

Speaking at a press conference for the film held Thursday at a CGV Multiplex in Seoul, the noted director named the two actors in reply to a question asking if there were any Korean actors that he would like to work with next, after having directed Korean actress Bae Doo-na in his recent film "Doll".

"I would really like to get the chance to do a movie with Song Kang-ho and Sul Kyung-gu," responded the director.

He also had only praise for his lead actress Bae, saying that she is "an actress that any Japanese director -- not only I -- wants to cast."

Bae has garnered much acclaim for her acting in "Doll", being selected best actress at the 2009 Japan Academy Awards, Tokyo Sports Movie Awards and Takasaki Film Festival.

"It is the first time that a foreigner has won three best actress awards at Japanese film events," explained the director. "Bae Doo-na is a truly professional actress who showed delicate acting in a foreign language."

20100325194513_003007.jpg

Koreeda, whose previous works include "After Life" and "Nobody Knows", gained further recognition with his latest film "Doll", which was invited to several major international film events including at Cannes, Toronto and Rotterdam.

The fantasy melodrama pic is about a doll named Nozomi, played by Bae, who falls in love with a video store employee Junichi, played by Japanese actor Arata, and gradually becomes a human being.

"Air Doll" opens in Korea on April 8.

Reporter : Cho Bum-ja anju1015@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Bae Doo-na Braves Nude Scene in Japanese Film

Chosun Ilbo

Mar. 27, 2010 08:32 KST

2010032517114936602_171823_0.jpg

Actress Bae Doo-na says she did her best shooting a nude scene in the award-winning Japanese film "Air Doll." In a press preview for the film in Seoul on Thursday afternoon, Bae said, "How can you not feel shy when you're shooting a film completely naked? But I tried really hard so that people will know that Korean actresses are very professional."

Bae has already won acting awards from three film festivals in Japan for her performance.

It is the latest work by acclaimed Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda, who also made "Nobody Knows," "Still Walking," and "Wonderful Life." In the film, Bae plays an inflatable sex toy that comes to life.

"I was more nervous and more active and worked harder shooting a film in Japan than I would have been in Korea," Bae says.

She was named best actress at the 19th Tokyo Sports Movie Awards on Feb, 28, won the Japan Academy Prize on March 5 and is to claim the award for best leading actress at the Takasaki Film Festival on Sunday. "Air Doll" is released in Korea on April 8.

Note: Her outfit is from Fendi's S/S2010 collection.

• 2 weeks later...

logo.gif

Bae brings life to an ‘Air Doll’

Actress won accolades in Japan for her portrayal

08210000.jpg

Korean actress Bae Doo-na plays an inflatable doll that comes to life in the Japanese film “Air Doll,” which was released yesterday nationwide. Provided by CJ Entertainment

By Sung So-young, JoongAng Daily

April 09, 2010

It’s not every day that an actress is asked to play an inflatable doll. And although Korean actress Bae Doo-na didn’t exactly leap at the chance, she has since found success with her role in the new film “Air Doll,” which was released yesterday at movie theaters nationwide.

The decision to play the character was a difficult one for Bae, who rose to fame with roles in critically-acclaimed films such as “Take Care of My Cat” (2001) and “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” (2002) and blockbusters such as “The Host” (2009).

After all, she would be playing an inflatable doll and the role would require nudity and more than a few bedroom scenes.

But it was Bae’s close friend, director Park Chan-wook, well-known for his films “Oldboy” (2003) and “Thirst” (2009), who encouraged her to grab the chance.

For her performance, Bae was honored with a total of five awards in Japan, including prizes from the Japan Academy Awards and Takasaki Film Festival. The film premiered at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival last year, where Bae won rave reviews for her performance.

As a testament to the film’s success, the rights to the film have since been sold to production companies in countries including the United Kingdom and France.

Bae, who started her career as a magazine cover girl in 1998 at the age of 19, speaks modestly of her success.

“As an actress, I like to play surreal roles and make them real. So I was immediately attracted to this film,” the 31-year-old actress said in a recent press conference. “But I don’t think I’m entitled to receive all these awards.”

In the beginning of the film, Bae speaks, walks and blinks like a doll. But as her character Nozomi begins to develop emotions, she becomes more human than the real people around her, including the man who would rather build a relationship with an inflatable doll than with a real woman.

“During production, I strived to empty myself because an inflatable doll is essentially empty inside,” Bae said. She went on to say that she is the type of actress who easily forgets her character after she finishes a film, but that this film was different.

“I may sound unprofessional, but I felt drained after the film was over and I didn’t want to do anything for a while,” she said.

The film, which is based on a Japanese manga, is not the fluffy comedy it could have been but has strong philosophical underpinnings that seem to ask what it is that makes us human.

“Inflatable dolls exist only when inflated by others. And our relationships are pretty much the same. We only exist when we relate to others,” said Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda, who implored Bae to join the cast.

The Japanese director is famous outside of Japan for his 2005 hit “Nobody Knows.”

Despite the language barrier, Bae says she and Koreeda made a great team.

“I just want to thank Koreeda. I really relied on him whenever I didn’t know what to do. He told me not to think of the character as a doll but as a newborn baby who has just started to learn about the world.”

The film is rated for viewers 18 and older.

[so@joongang.co.kr]

logo_s.gif

'Air Doll' Leaves Poignant Sting

100415_p10_air.jpg

South Korean actress Bae Doo-na stars as a blow-up sex doll that develops a soul one day and explores what it means to be human in the critically acclaimed Japanese film "Air Doll." / Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

By Lee Hyo-won, Korea Times Staff Reporter

04-15-2010 17:44

We’ve seen sentimental robots and other such non-human characters teach us lessons about humanity. Now a sex toy comes to life in a film which ― despite the rather "decadent" origins of its subject matter ― ultimately brims with childlike innocence and leaves a poignant sting.

Directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, the film had been invited to prestigious film festivals including Cannes and Pusan (Busan) last year. It drew rave reviews from Japanese critics and the audience alike, and South Korea’s quirky actress Bae Doo-na picked up several Best Actress awards for the title role.

In her second Japanese project after "Linda Linda Linda" (2006), Bae captivates the viewer as a life-size doll that develops a soul ― as is with solid fantasy tales, the implausible "why’' and "how’' bits are of little importance.

A frustrated middle-aged waiter (Itsuji Itao) finds solace in his beloved "companion" Nozomi (Bae). But unlike the delusional protagonist of "Lars and the Real Girl" he is completely aware that Nozomi is well, not really real, even though he cares enough to take her for a stroll in the park and such wearing matching outfits.

One day our inflatable protagonist wakes up and starts to feel everything around her. The transformation from an actual plastic toy to the flesh-and-blood Bae, is most natural, as the doe-eyed actress blinks and moves convincingly like a real doll.

After her owner leaves the house for work, she dresses up in her favorite French maid outfit and begins to explore the neighborhood, learning the basics of human interaction and also picking up Japanese words here and there.

Nozomi ends up at the local video store and her breath halts the moment her eyes fall upon the store clerk Junichi (Arata). She has yet to define the heart-stopping emotion she feels, or even learn what a movie actually is, but this isn’t a problem as she is accidently hired to work at the store.

Nozomi thus begins to lead a double life as curious quasi-human by day and a lust-fulfilling, lifeless doll by night. She begins to blend in better as she learns how to apply makeup ― covering up all signs of her inflatable-ness ― and shop for more ordinary clothing. Moreover, she begins to exhibit human virtues and vices: "I have a heart now, so I lied," she says to herself after saying that she doesn’t have a boyfriend.

Nozomi and Junichi spend more and more time together, and our lovely heroine sparkles and shines in the warm attention of the initially stolid young man. Her true identity, however, is compromised when she gets a cut, and starts deflating, while organizing DVDs. Will Junichi be able to accept who ― or what ― she really is?

The film provides an intimate look into modern illnesses such as self-imposed alienation, as well as the easily overlooked charms of everyday life, through an innocent yet all-knowing pair of eyes. Nozomi’s open heart detects all the beauty and the filth around her, and the lovely mise-en-scene nimbly captures the process, maintaining a certain distance without missing the fine details.

Fans of Japanese cinema can look forward to the short yet impressive appearance of heartthrob Jo Odagiri.

Now showing in theaters. 18 and over. In Japanese with Korean subtitles. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

urban_farm_jj.jpg

2010041910490076782_105155_1.jpg

2010041910490076782_105155_2.jpg

2010041910490076782_105155_0.jpg

via Jack&Jill, Jack&Jill, Jack&Jill, isportskorea.com, http://blog.naver.com/fashiongio2/150084759821

nylonjj.jpg

Video: [Nylon TV] [YouTube] [Download (mp4 iPod)] [Download (mp4)]

Celebrities for Urban Farm campaign

A host of Korean celebrities including Jang Geun Suk, Bani, Bae Doo Na, Clazziquai, Park Shi Hoo, Park Shi Yeon, Park Jung Ah, Secret and Lee Si Young recently took part in a eco-campaign photoshoot for NYLON.

This photoshoot was jointly organized by casual wear brand, J & J (JACK & JILL) together with NYLON to promote the idea of having your own urban farm.

The urban farm concept is to where one grows their own vegetables on their own property and promote a sustainable healthy lifestyle, while saving the enviroment at the same time. This enviromental movement is currently gaining popularity across Europe and in America, and one hopes that the rest of the world can adopt it.

Seeds for plants like chinese cabbage, lettuce, beet, etc will be made available for collection by customers at J & J stores.

Source: allkpop

20100421123501951l3_125806_0.jpg

via Newsen

Harper’s Bazaar Korea has a special section planned for its May issue entitled, “Welcome to the Arthouse.” (That’s just my translation of the title but I think it’s close to their intent: A play on Welcome to the Dollhouse.) 26 actors and directors will participate in the photo shoot to promote Korean art house/independent films, including the amazing Duelist pair above – Ha Ji Won and Director Lee Myung Se.

Here are some others who will grace the pages of the magazine: Secret Reunion director Jang Hoon and Go Chang Suk (who plays the Vietnamese boss), upcoming film Bang-ja Chronicles‘ Kim Joo Hyuk and its director Kim Dae Woo, Director Min Kyu Dong and Kim Hyo Jin from In My End is My Beginning (from Five Senses of Eros), Crush and Blush director Lee Kyung Mi with Eom Ji Won, Chaw director Shin Jung Won and Jung Yoo Mi. Besides the pairings above, Lee Yo Won, Go Soo, Lee Min Ki, Yoon Jin Seo, Song Ji Hyo, Kim Ji Suk, Directors Lee Jun Ik, Park Chan Wook, Im Kwon Taek, Bong Joon Ho, and a multitude of others will take part in the special issue. [...]

Source: dw4p

[...] Twenty-six different actors and directors got together to do a photoshoot for Harper's Bazaar, for its yearly Cinematheque project "Come To The Movie House". Each photo paired together directors with actors they've worked with, or are in the process of working with. The pairs included in this shoot are director Kim Ji Woon with Lee Byung Hun, director Lee Myung Se with Ha Ji Won, director Lee Chang Ho with Ahn Sung Ki, director Jang Hoon with Go Chang Seok, director Kim Dae Woo with Kim Joo Hyuk, director Min Gyu Dong with Kim Hyo Jin, director Lee Kyung Mi with Eom Ji Won, director Shin Jung Won with Jung Yoo Mi, and last but not least, actors Jung Jae Young and Yoo Sun. Besides these people, actors such as Lee Yo Won, Go Soo, Lee Min Ki, Bae Doo Na, Yoon Jin Seo, Song Ji Hyo and Kim Ji Seok also participated.

This issue of Bazaar will be available in May. [...]

• 1 month later...
Guest yourasthma

hmm im new to this thread so im not sure if the link has been posted but here goes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6OXNoH73Z4...feature=related

she's v cool on happy together. im currently watching mothers and sisters, i rmbr seeing her in the host but watching her on happy together being so eclectic and quirky made me a fan. cos im slightly 'off' as well or so im told. any movie/drama recommendation?

Doona stars in 2 music videos for Hot Potato's new album Seesaw ("Imaginary Soundtrack"). She reunites with Saving My Hubby costar Kim Tae-Woo 김태우 and Spring Bears Love director Donald Yong 용이.

http://blog.naver.com/seesaw_k

BDC3BCD2-BDBAC5B2-2-16192b-1680-365.jpg

hotpotatoseesaw.jpg

Download album @ iHoneyJoo

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2: http://blog.naver.com/seesaw_k/70082941401

poster_b_seesaw_k.jpg

Interview with Hot Potato band members Kim C (김C) and Go Beom-Jun (고범준):

p_1_seesaw_k.jpg

web_poster3_seesaw_k.jpg

web_poster_seesaw_k.jpg

3_seesaw_k.jpg

Hot Potato 뜨거운 감자 - 시소 (Seesaw)

http://blog.naver.com/seesaw_k/70083659285

or

[part 1]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB04Dy0arcM

[part 2]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKjvaFisws

or

[part 1]:

[part 2]:

or

(Japanese subbed)

[part 1]:

[part 2]:

hp6.jpg

Download MV: [MegaUpload] [MediaFire] [SendSpace] <credit: Alamxi Albus's Muzik Land>

hp1.jpg

Hot Potato 뜨거운 감자 - 고백 (Confession) {lyrics}

http://blog.naver.com/seesaw_k/70084136756

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucf9T9veQxQ

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jF_lGSjL64

Download MV: [MegaUpload] [MediaFire] [SendSpace]

green.jpg

yourasthma Thanks for the Happy Together link! :) I enjoyed the banter between the hosts and Kim Soo-Ro, Lee Da-Hae, Oh Ji-Ho, esp every time they ganged up on Jang Hyuk. Doona was quiet most of the time (which is probably why she rarely goes on variety shows), but I LOL'd when she seemed so intent on finding out if LDH had dated a singer from an idol group. Doona, you gossip! And I would never have thought she had a soft spot for 2PM, Taecyeon in particular. Wonder if she's watching Cinderella Unni? Heh. She seemed really close to Oh Yoon-Ah (they probably became friends during Someday).

Besides The Host, Doona has made a lot of interesting~good films. My recs: Barking Dogs Never Bite, Take Care of My Cat, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Saving My Hubby, Linda Linda Linda, Air Doll.

As for dramas: I can only recommend Beating Heart (which I loved) because I still haven't finished Someday and How to Meet a Perfect Neighbor. But those latter two have quite a few fans, they usually get mentioned as underrated.

I see from your avatar that you're a Kim So-Yeon fan--was she the main reason you watched Mothers and Sisters? ;)

m00203561w600np0.jpg

She and Doona also starred together in Ad Madness along with fellow future stars Won Bin, Choi Kang-Hee, Lee Dong-Gun, Yang Dong-Geun, etc.

29d8sd4.jpg

1921b456.jpg

6eb95118.jpg

8215584c.jpg

2c474103.jpg

b747feef.jpg

more pics @ http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g198/admadness/

Lee Chun Hee has been cast as the male lead in the upcoming MBC weekend drama Gloria. The drama tells the story of a nightclub and the people connected to it. Lee plays the role of Ha Dong-ah, a reckless mafia member who has grown up in the same neighbourhood as the female lead and is good friends with her. Despite his being part of the mafia, he has no fighting skills.

Gloria will be directed by Kim Min Shik (The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry) and written by Jung Ji Woo (Wish Upon A Star, How To Meet A Perfect Neighbour, Family Honour). It's set to premiere after Dandelion Family ends in July. Meanwhile, there have been rumours that Bae Doo Na may join this drama as the female lead, but nothing has been set in stone yet. [...]

Jisuk is selected to lead the 50-episode MBC Weekend Drama "Gloria (글로리아)" scheduled to be aired in July, following the final episode of "Dandelion Family (민들레 가족)". [...]

Currently, the representative of Bae Doo Na's agency states that the negotiation of the contract is still underway. [...]

Source: Suh Ji Suk Free Board

Guest yourasthma

I see from your avatar that you're a Kim So-Yeon fan--was she the main reason you watched Mothers and Sisters? ;)

m00203561w600np0.jpg

She and Doona also starred together in Ad Madness along with fellow future stars Won Bin, Choi Kang-Hee, Lee Dong-Gun, Yang Dong-Geun, etc.

haha yes im a big fan of Kim So Yeon. she's the main reason im watching that show. with the exception of KSY (she kinda looked much older when she was young), the rest look so cute w their slight baby fat. won bin is so good looking. whr can i watch that show? i only knew she starred w won bin. didnt know bae doona was in it too and at least i know the title now. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks melusine for everything you update about ss Doona. She is also one of my top favourite actresses. But unlike yourasthma, Ad maniac leads me to this thread^^. I watched this drama long ago when still at high school and I have been loving ss Doona since then. For me Ad maniac is the most memorable kdrama. Just thinking of it, remembering some of its scene, a torrent of sweet emotions come to my mind. It is unconditional love for me and ss Doona holds an unshakable position in my heart^^.

Guest sayroo

Bae Doo Na's upcoming drama project as the main lead, GLORIA, soompi thread:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=342470

(Please help post images, news, information related to the series. Thank you.)

haha yes im a big fan of Kim So Yeon. she's the main reason im watching that show. with the exception of KSY (she kinda looked much older when she was young), the rest look so cute w their slight baby fat. won bin is so good looking. whr can i watch that show? i only knew she starred w won bin. didnt know bae doona was in it too and at least i know the title now. thanks!

Yeah, it's funny how KSY looks much younger now than she did back then. I think the culprits are her long straight black hair (drama shorthand for purehearted damsels) and that dreaded matte lipstick (so in vogue in the 90s). In retrospect Doona and CKH escaped the "aging" by not being conventionally good-looking: lol@Doona's funky hair, and (like you said) the baby fat. On the other hand, Won Bin looked hot then and looks hot now. It's not fair, I tell ya! :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, KSY wasn't part of the original main cast of Ad Madness. She only joined the drama much later, as a regular or in a recurring guest role, I'm not sure.

(oh, and just a reminder: it's against Soompi rules to quote photos so pls edit your post and just remove the tags ;))

How is Mothers and Sisters? Is it a good drama? Would you recommend it?

You know, I'm glad that KSY's popularity got revived by the one-two punch of IRIS and Prosecutor Princess. I've always thought she was the best thing in All About Eve, and it was a shame that her career faltered for a long time. But now her fame level finally matches her talent, so good for her.

Thanks melusine for everything you update about ss Doona. She is also one of my top favourite actresses. But unlike yourasthma, Ad maniac leads me to this thread^^. I watched this drama long ago when still at high school and I have been loving ss Doona since then. For me Ad maniac is the most memorable kdrama. Just thinking of it, remembering some of its scene, a torrent of sweet emotions come to my mind. It is unconditional love for me and ss Doona holds an unshakable position in my heart^^.

Aww, that's wonderful. So many fans have such fond memories of Ad Madness. Too bad I haven't found it online (sorry can't help you there, yourasthma), there are no English subtitles to be found, and even the Clubbox links I saw a long time ago were LQ. What you've written loveirina1, makes me want to see it even more.

Thanks for starting and linking us to the Gloria thread, sayroo. :) So it's finally confirmed. I admit I'm disappointed that she's following up a drama with another drama (when TV as a medium does not show her at her best imo). Was hoping she'd get cast for a Korean or Japanese movie after the glowing reviews of her Air Doll perf...but ohwell. I'll take Doona however I can get her...but 50 eps! Aigoo~

10asia_logo01.gif

Bae Doo-na to play lead in new weekend drama "Gloria"

20100622152801_2.JPG

credit: MBC

Korean actress Bae Doo-na has been cast as the female lead in a new weekend drama, according to the series' producer MBC on Tuesday.

MBC announced in a press release that Bae will be playing the female lead role for an upcoming weekend drama titled "Gloria," based on the lives of people who work at a nightclub.

Bae is set to play the role of Na Jin-jin, who lost her parents at an early age and has been living with her older sister, who dreams of becoming a singer at the age of 30.

The new series will be helmed by Kim Min-sik, whose previous works include "Still, Marry Me," and written by scenarist Jung Ji-woo. It also stars Korean actors Lee Chun-hee, Seo Ji-suk, Lee Jung-won and actress So E-hyun.

Filming for "Gloria" will begin at the end of June and it will succeed current weekend drama "Dandelion Family" when it finishes its run in the latter half of the year.

Bae made her debut as a model in 1998 and has starred in numerous dramas and movies including the Korean blockbuster "The Host," "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "Air Doll."

She has also appeared on the small screen with her roles in "Someday," "The Perfect Neighbor" and "Master of Study."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@

The cast of Gloria, had their first script reading on June 21st. Seo Ji-Seok (Ob & Gyn) and Bae Doo-Na (God of Study) will play the main lead supported by So Yi-Hyun (Assorted Gems) and Lee Chun-Hee (Smile). This weekend drama is scheduled to air once Dandelion Family ends its run in July.

Source: KoreanDiorama

logo_s.gif

Bae Doo-na returns to small screen

By Han Sang-hee, Korea Times Staff reporter

06-23-2010 18:05

Baedoona.jpg

Actress Bae Doo-na reads the script for the upcoming drama "Gloria" at MBC, Tuesday. /Courtesy of MBC

Model-turned actress Bae Doo-na is returning to the small screen through a new drama series "Gloria."

According to broadcaster MBC Tuesday, the 31-year-old actress will appear as the main character Na Jin-jin. Her last work on television was the popular "Master of Study" on KBS. This is the first time for her to appear in an MBC series in five years.

"Gloria" deals with the love lives and lifestyles of the people working at a nightclub. Na, played by Bae, is an aspiring singer at the age of 30 and starts her journey by singing at the club.

Na will be accompanied by her good friend Ha Dong-ah, played by actor Lee Cheon-hee.

Filming for the drama will start later this month and start airing next month.

Bae, who made her debut in 1998 as a model, has starred in numerous drama series and films over the years. Her most famous role was in "The Host," directed by Bong Jun-ho in 2006. The 31-year-old won an award for her role in the Japanese film "Air Doll" at the prestigious Japan Academy Prize ceremony last year. Also a talented photographer, she has published several photo essays.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr