Song Chang Ui 송창의

Ayame

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hibiscus23  Hello my chingu, I really enjoy the pics of your yeobo SCU and I can't never forget BB who I had to show my daughter of what she be wearing when you posting her, my daughter said aww BB is just too much lol.  I don't mind at all stopping by and visit this ecstatic thread. You and the rest also have a great weekend TTYL :D

8 hours ago, MarjorieS said:

@hibiscus23 hi chingu, thanks for all the beautiful SCU pix and my favorite BB, have been very busy but dropping by to say hello to my chingu and also SCU, thanks for giving us smiles and laughter and also wishing you and all chingus here a very Happy Friday and a great weekend :-)

@MarjorieS hello wave wave, sorry for late reply i'm just logging in here & after work got so many chores at home but coming here seems for me a stress reliever these days esp seeing my chingus here like you & suchadiva giving SC & myself your tireless support...i know you guys are busy w/your own yobo :) but you still manage to cheer up this thread unconditionally! thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo very much & i'll continue to spruce it up whenever i can plus giving you chingus the BB treat! hahaha Happy Friday you too & a great w/end :) and take care! here's BB for you guys!

http://a141.idata.over-blog.com/3/04/65/21/1.09.13/betty-boop/betty-4.gifhttp://rs279.pbsrc.com/albums/kk144/galinnm/Betty%20Boop/bettybeep20180.gif~c200http://www.spearfish.k12.sd.us/~tseyer/Images/Clipart/Characters/betty-boop.gif

@suchadiva42 hello hello wave chingu....thnx sooooooooooooooooooooo v much for always coming/liking/supporting this thread! you & Marjorie are just wonderful & very supportive of SC & myself! i'll try my best & continue his thread as much as i can! lol your daughter must really find BB too much! i agree with her! hahaha You do the same and hv a gr8 w/end! enjoy & have plenty of kdramas on hand ok? hahaha

photo 541ed2d9-aec9-4e49-8855-4fefcde015a3_zpsblvtbqxb.jpg

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cutcaster-photo-100745832-sad-face-emoticon.jpgaigoo aigoo

20071112113005.426.1.jpg

20071112113005.426.2.jpg20071002222209.275.0.jpg

이미지를 클릭하면 원본을 보실 수 있습니다.20080117114207.218.0.jpg20140328203704285.jpg

Below article from 2013 and thought it's a good interview! cr: Marie Claire

[December 2013 - Elle] The Song Chang Ui way to express love

The reason writer Kim Soo Hyun loves you is? I had a cameo in “A Thousand Days of Promises”. The second time we really worked together is “The Woman Who Married Three Times”. 376 more words

[June 2013 - Arena] Song Chang Ui - Always Building and Bringing Down Castles - Interview

The stage gets emptied and gets filled. Three years later, Song Chang Ui who has been acting in 11 years is coming back as Hedwig for the third time, three years after the last time. 1,830 more words

[June 2010 – Marie Claire] Song Chang Ui – The boy next door – Interview

Marie Claire - Song Chang Ui (2) 

Many things changed in my life as I worked for a fashion magazine. One of them is my relationship with gay people. Before I worked for a fashion magazine, gay people were just the target of social issues for me, but now they’re either my colleagues or my friends or just people I know. Whereas I didn’t discuss seriously gay civil rights when I was younger, the person I am today is obviously in conflict and fighting while working on a photo shoot with gay people who aren’t an uncommon sight in the fashion industry, but I think I actually built natural and humane relationships with them.

There’s no particular reason for it. It’s because I saw them often. Instead of meeting in a seminar where gay people’s rights are discussed, as we worked together, ate together, shared info about the truth behind rumors in the fashion industry these days, their gender identity became meaningless to me. The kissing scene between Tae Sub and Kyung Soo, the gay couple in drama “Life is Beautiful” has been the talk of the internet for the past few days. There’s a sense of tiredness about the truth that we live in a country that argues about others’ gender identity being right or wrong, but it’s not something I couldn’t imagine. A “Kim Soo Hyun’s drama” always divides people. In the midst of such controversy, Kim Soo Hyun tweeted words that took a lot of guts. “Still, I’m planning to go my own way” which means that she will follow the direction she needs to follow, regardless if there’s a controversy. I knew she was a good person with tenacity, but her perseverance is definitely amazing. However, it’s different when it comes to actors. Would there be actors willing to do a weekend drama broadcast on a big TV station and that would be a part of the civil-rights movement? Acting is what an actor tries to do. Understanding and expressing a human being can bring awareness through social opinion or behavior. Even without risking anything constantly, there’s still a risk to take. Between a middle-aged writer who has the perseverance to keep pushing for what she believes in at a time when she’s already used to hear more criticism and an actor who is making efforts to establish his name, the two situations can’t be the same. Portraying a gay character in a weekend drama that is watched by families at night as they gather to eat fruits together, we’re left guessing the reason behind the choice of Song Chang Ui who couldn’t ignore how meaningful it could be.

Every time you look at the Tae Sub portrayed by Song Chang Ui, what you often notice is his “typical Korean suit” he wears like an exemplary student. Instead of speaking in an exaggerated feminine way or wearing rainbow clothes, his ordinary style similar to the gentle guy you can find in any neighborhood or any home gives a sense of realism to what he experiences with his family. I think Tae Sub who is like anyone’s big, little brother and his ordinary family can prepare the occasion for our society to change its gaze on gay people. It’s called “familiarity”. Isn’t it a special experience for an actor when his acting can also have an influence beyond the drama? As you probably know, Song Chang Ui is currently spending most of his time in Jeju Island, but he spared some time to come to Seoul which is where I met him. It might have been because of Jeju’s fickly weather, but his face seemed pale because he had caught a cold. Once the photo shoot was over, the photographer and even the stylist were more curious than me about many things and we all sat around Song Chang Ui. I didn’t exactly say it, but I thought to myself that I hope Song Chang Ui would know that our curiosity came from a good place and we meant well.

Are there gay people in your entourage?

There’s none.

What did you, and not you as an actor, think of gay people?

I personally noticed that gay people are more rejected by men than women. So my thoughts were up to being able to watch the movie “Brokeback Mountain”? I wasn’t comfortable with the idea because I didn’t manage to watch “A Frozen Flower” right away.

Even for a small role, writer Kim Soo Hyun reveals the casting reason. Did she tell you why you were chosen for this role?

I didn’t hear it directly from her. Director Jung Eul Young told me later on that she recommanded me because she enjoyed watching “Scales of Providence”. We’re not trying to do literature. It’s a drama and from what I heard, they thought about me because people had to have a comfortable approach to this role.

Didn’t you have hesitations?

I tried not to worry too much. Of course, my family was against it and there were also many people against it in my entourage. I believed in the sincerity of the role of Tae Sub.

Actors probably feel that a writer Kim Soo Hyun’s drama is a challenge that is hard to reject.

There’s clearly a reason like this. And there was also the charm of the role itself. I played a lot of characters who are vulnerable in our society. Weekend dramas are long. It wasn’t that portraying a gay character in a drama that would be broadcast for nearly a year wasn’t a burden, but the fact that Kim Soo Hyun writes about the vulnerable in our society was a motivation for me. Tae Sub got my affection when the director told me “make it your own thing”. And this triggered my desire to create a role I could be satisfied of.

Movies can only be seen by those who buy a ticket, but TV can be watched by anyone. You must have had concerned about how to portray this role?

When I’m on way to act, I must enjoy it, so I’m done with the concerns. I’m aware that if I don’t act right, the scenes can be cringe-worthy. Tae Sub belongs to the vulnerable in our society. There’s a sense of expectation about the story to rise above the surface. It’s not a character you can meet every day. I thought about it as loving another person. It’s not a sexual issue.

Do you know that you often use the expression “the vulnerable in our society”?

It’s true that my heart goes more to portraying people close to the weak or the minority rather than to portraying a mainstream character.

Tae Sub is a solid three-dimensional character.

It’s not a double-faced character. Tae Sub is not just gay. He’s a kid who went through growing pains. He experienced his father getting married a second time, he didn’t fit with the extended family, and he’s gay. His attitude is usually cold and he doesn’t speak much either. When he laughs with his family, there’s something awkward about it. This Tae Sub becomes different when he’s with Kyung Soo. It’s difficult. The dialogues are difficult too.

You played a lot of roles where the character seems to be one way on the outside and is different inside. Still, this role is the most quiet/static role you’ve ever done.

It’s not just being quiet. It’s more about being calm inside.

Now that you’ve experienced it, what do you think of writer Kim Soo Hyun’s dramas?

I can’t say this for every line, but when I receive the script, there are times when I wonder how comes it’s such a match about the way I feel. The scene where Kyung Soo’s mom comes to find Tae Sub. If I had been in this situation, I wouldn’t have said a word. There were more than 6 pages of script and Tae Sub didn’t say one single word. I trust Kim Soo Hyun’s self-confidence.

What will be different about you as an actor once the drama is over?

There will be people against me. Everybody can’t agree, right? However, one thing I’m sure of is that it’s not a failure for me. I realized that acting is about being able to understand the character. I’m trying my best to understand Tae Sub. Once it’s over, I hope I’ll get the feeling it was worth it.

credit: Marie Clare

Archived