On 7/17/2016 at 2:25 PM, angel2013 said:

Source: Esquire Magazine 2013 December

Chinese Trans:  放放
English Trans: Angel2013

Reposted from: SHJ Baidu bar

Words in BOLD are SHJ's words and the words in normal are the editor's/interviewer's comments.

2013 Dec Esquire - Seo Hyun Jin Interview

Seo Hyun Jin who entered showbiz at a tender age of 17, 13 years after debut finally leaving behind the image of a newbie

In 2001, girl idol group MILK was formed/debuted. The songs are similar, the dance moves not outstanding. Be it S.E.S, Fin.K or Baby Vox, the group MILK did not manage to surpass their standards. Finally, MILK disbanded after only one album, then, SHJ as the lead singer was only 17 years old.

"I followed my friend to an audition and got selected." I was still in high school and had learned traditional korean dance for 11 years, but I became a trainee after the audition. My parents thought I went to be a broadcaster, be it my parents or even myself, we were not really sure what I was getting into. I had to give up Korean dance, transfer to a high school nearer to the company. MILK disbandment was not a choice, be it the members or the company, everyone was at a loss. Although I thought of taking up Korean dance again, but because I already left the high school, there was nothing I could do about it. After that, I was lost for 6 years without direction."

Seo Hyun Jin tasted her first setback at a young age where young people thoughts are filled with dreams and aspirations, she hit rock bottom. It is difficult to imagine what is going through her mind at that time.

"I once read a book that says, 'Have you fell into a dirty drain before? It's neither hot nor cold, pain nor itchy.' That's how I feel at that time, and it seems everything is meaningless, it was difficult to adapt."

It is obviously a sad story yet Seo Hyun Jin says it calmly as if reporting a news, as if she has gotten out of that sorrow.

"At the time when I was lost, I went travelling. I went places like Cambodia, Mongolia and Nepal. In these secluded places, where there is no electricity supply, a place with no light, I made up my mind. To live honestly, to live bravely. I came back to Korea and started learning acting. Just like going to university, I made time everyday to practice. At that time, I acted in drama "Hwang Jini" and "Hit" but still it was not good, and I began to wonder again.

After hitting rock bottom and started to climb again, she once again stumbled. This time it took her another 4 years before she pick herself up again.

"Although I thought of changing my path into a totally new area, but I thought to give it another try, so I took another 4 years to learn again the ropes of acting. So in 2011, I did the special drama "The Peak" and after that I did "Feasts of God", "Here Comes Mr Oh" and "Goddess of Fire" non-stop, I tried to act in whatever drama I can."

"Although giving up seems the right thing to do, but there is nothing more satisfying than acting, hence unable to stop. On the other hand, there is also fear and apprehension."

"I don't like change. Everytime I get a new project, I will be afraid. How should I get close to all the new people I will meet on the set becomes my biggest worry. The people whom I meet now are the same people I meet 11 years ago. I'm not good at making new friends, or rather I cannot because I am afraid. "what if they think I'm weird?' 'what if they think I act poorly?' I will have all these negative thoughts. Although I already tell myself to live bravely but in reality I cannot do it."

Everyone goes through setbacks, but she experienced it twice, finally she was given a lead role in MBC new drama King's daughter Su Baek Hyang. For 3 years, she never rest and kept working, and did 7 dramas and 4 movies. When you look at it, she is already living bravely and strongly.

"I can't help but do more as I've rested too long in my youth, so I am doing whatever I can do now. I will take each drama script as the best that I have, trusting it completely. During rest time, I will go travelling, buy clothes, buy handbags. I am trying to live my life meaningfully, I do not want to go back to the time when I am neither hot or cold about anything. I am going to be 30 soon, so I've made up my mind, to live my life as 30 like when I was 20. The only question of course is whether I have the stamina to do it."

What Seo Hyun Jin mention earlier about meeting people she knows only from 11 years ago keeps ringing in my head. It seems a bit unbelievable to come from one who has to constantly meet new people through new work/projects and have to adapt to a changing environment all the time.

"I am a bit of a one-track mind. I do not like prejudice or categorising stuff/people, so I seem to have difficulty relating to people. One day, someone ask me. 'Why do women always like to keep in contact?' After hearing this, I was angry. Base on my experience, it is the same as classifying that all women in the world is always waiting for the men to contact them.  Although there were a lot of people there, I argued with her then. From then on, if there is anything that I disagree with in a conversation, I will first sort out that point first before carrying on. I think I am a difficult and complicated woman, so is the same with love/dating, hence no development."

Suddenly my thoughts went to the question an hour ago, isn't all actors/actress like that? There is good and bad in both being fixated and not being fixated. This is what we call life. But Seo Hyun Jin has her sensitive, intricate side, her inner being is not fixated and she does not view things in a box.

"When I was acting as Su Baek Hyang in King's Daughter Su Baek Hyang, my parents wanted to boast about it to friends. I cleared my throat and ask her, 'mum, if your friend's kid has been promoted from assistant to supervisor, will they go about the neighbourhood to boast? No, why not, because it is not a big deal, so don't go and boast.' My mum let out a sigh and put down the phone. I am difficult right?"

The interview lasted about an hour, isn't that fixation? But I didn't bring it up to her since  there will always exist some variations. Seo Hyun Jin seems to be restricting herself and may persist for a while. She has obviously been through very difficult times but is working hard towards living her life differently from the past. Acting skills is something that comes later. I believe Seo Hyun Jin is working towards a better person first then towards a better actress. Better than being a great actress, we hope she will become a great person.

=====================================================================================================================================

@icemaidyour wish is granted.

After reading thru this interview, I had to do this first. I think she has come far from where she was then 3 years ago. Seeing how she is able to mingle freely and getting close to the OHYA cast and crew seems a giant leap from this interview where she says she has difficulty making new friends. And what Eric talks about her liveliness and energy on set also reveals how much she has changed. I think she has come out from her 'dark' past, all those difficult times made her a stronger person. The more I know about her, the more I love her and support her, and I hope only good things happen for her now.

one of her old interview 

• Like 4

On 7/18/2016 at 1:38 PM, angel2013 said:

PART 2

From about 8mins plus onwards, KCR ask questions about SHJ and Ken themselves, so I will only share about HJ's part. KCR asked 3 questions, of which they have to respond with a one liner answer first then elaborate on it later.

(1) Your first musical The Sound of Music  in 2005. You cried a lot in it, how do you feel after the performance?

SHJ answer: I want to run away.

(2) In the drama Let's Eat 2, you've been called eating goddess, what are your thoughts when you hear the comments?

SHJ answer: Very fast and eat a lot.

(3) You've learned Korean dance for 10 years plus your natural beauty and physic, you should be very popular during school time. What is your popularity level during that time?

SHJ answer: No such thing.

Now for the elaborate answer to the above questions.

Q(1)

SHJ:In the musical the Sound of Music, I acted as the eldest daughter Elizabeth but because it is my first time and I do not have any prior experience, I often got a lot of scolding because I was not perfoming up to par. (Here she also mention she is very slow and couldn't keep up) My standard was like those year 2 and year 3 kids so the director was very troubled. I would run to the toilet during break time and cry and really wanted to go home. (She's just 20years old then) This ordeal lasted for 2 months. KCR asked is that why you went for acting classes after that? Because I never even read a script before so I went to learn about acting and kept going back to the teacher to learn.

KCR: Now your acting is very good!

SHJ:(shy)mmmm.....

KCR: Is it only me who think so?

SHJ: Thank you very much.

Ken: I think so too!

KCR: My fan heart shouldn't be so obvious right?

SHJ: It's ok, I like it, thank you.

She was then asked how she feel now, whether she feels that she owned the stage when she's on it.

SHJ: My responsibility increases a lot. In this musical, there are also many technical aspects to take care of. For eg, we have like only 1.5-2 seconds to change our dress on stage(where Cinderella old dress becomes a gown), it is a very important aspect and we cannot miss the timing.

KCR: When did you first have your dream for acting?

SHJ: After I learn my acting from my teacher. I learned from my teacher for 4 years, got scolded a lot but also like a friend to me. So my acting got better through this and I am slowly working towards my dream of becoming an actress.

KCR: Don't you have any thoughts of becoming an actress when you did the musical?

SHJ: No, not at that time. I wasn't ready at that time but I was put to work in the musical, I was nervous and panicked, those who see me also panic.

KCR: Do you think you were put up because of your pretty looks and not acting skills?

SHJ: No, no definitely not like that. I had an initial audition at the KTV. We were just told to prepare a song to sing. Not chosen because of acting skill, that's why it became a mess later on. (so can I say she chosen base on her vocals?)

KCR: Even then, you worked hard after that and you came to where you are now.

SHJ: I really work very hard, it was very difficult.

Then this part, they talk about her teacher.

Q(2)

SHJ: I normally eat very slowly. I usually take about 40mins to finish my meal. But it seems like if you eat fast and you eat a lot, it makes the food seems delicious. I have to eat a lot of digestion pills during the filming of the drama LE2 (poor girl). The director wants us to look good while eating so in actual fact, we ate a lot and it is usually done in a day, so it is very tiring. If you eat a lot, your reaction goes time goes down, so we have to do it at one go.

They deviated here to talk about giving to parents.(after Ken talks about giving his prize rewards to his parents) HJ mentions that she never gave her parents cash as she feels its awkward to do so. Instead she often buy them gifts or whatever they need like a sofa for her dad or audio set etc. However, HJ mention that for father/mother day this year, she gave them card.(not sure what card, money card?credit card?) She said that her dad brings it to work, so she thought they must be very happy about it. But her mum also mentions her friend's kid also gave a certain $1m card(not sure abt the value) to her much earlier. She felt a bit deflated that she must be really slow in giving and that she is not a good daughter.

KCR: So you never have any thoughts of becoming a singer?

SHJ: No, I don't. (ok those who wanting her to release an album, your hope is dim) But I sing the OST's of the drama that I usually starred in.

KCR: Then you should come out with an album.

SHJ: No, I never thought about it. I will concentrate on working hard on my drama.

Q(3)

SHJ: Because all those that learn Korea dance are ladies, there is not a single guy in my batch. Even the batch before and after us only have 1 guy in it. So there's no such thing as popularity here. We live in the dance school, so we do not interact with the people from outside.(she mention this since KCR ask about guys from other school) We just stay in campus within the dance group. I got a culture shock when I switched high school.( She transferred to another high school after she became a trainee) I am suddenly surrounded by so many people be it in the canteen or the classes. I spent 30mins trying to find my way to my class because I've never been to a big school like this. The image also very different, because in dance school, all we wear whole day is our dance clothes. I became more cautious after this.

KCR: So after this, your popularity increases?

SHJ: No. I'm a very quiet person, I live a very quiet life.

KCR: How about now?

SHJ: Am I popular now? Ken?

Ken: YES! very popular.

The last segment is about Ken and his impersonations which is very funny but I'm not going to translate it here.

Please note as it is a very long radio show, I did not translate every detail, I try to extract the main points in the conversation although that is also most of it. Some parts have been left out because I am still new with this translating stuff. It is easier to do article translation than TV/radio trans.

radio  interview about her musical 

• Like 4

On 7/20/2016 at 12:11 AM, angel2013 said:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU5MzIwNTIwMA==.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2

This is a short clip of SHJ self-cam which is part of the TAXI program she went on. Actually I had a difficult time as I wasn't sure how I should present the translation so that it is easier for you all to understand what's going on in the clip since it is a video, there are comments besides what she is saying. So I hope it doesn't confuses you all, and do give me feedback so I know how to improve on it next time. Those in italics are the comments inserted by the editor? of the video. Emoticons are mine reactions lol.

Seo Hyun Jin Self Cam for TVN Taxi

From Start to about 00:50

Seo Hyun Jin started off by saying Hello to everyone. As she looks at the camera, she's wondering if it will turn out fine.

SHJ: First, I want to introduce to you my closest family -Sheido! Sheido,, come here! Here you are.

(SHJ Family: Name: Sheido, Age: 4 years, Breed: Long haired dachshund)

SHJ starts to introduce her dog and saying its handsome and the pride of the family.

SHJ playing with the dog. She's holding a net and asking Sheido to go in :sweatingbullets: Instead she puts the net over the dog's head and ask "Why are you not moving?" 

(Sheido: HJ noona is so troublesome)

SHJ: Run Away! (when the dog doesn't have any reaction) Not fun at all.

(Sheido: I don't care! Noona is so annoying!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From 00:50 to about 03:35

SHJ cooking in the kitchen

Today's menu is HJ special soya sauce potatoes!

SHJ: *looks at the chopped onions* , not sure when to put this in.

Wait where is it?  *anxious* (seems like missing something important)

SHJ: Cannot remember the steps. Have to check the recipe. 

(Her cooking teacher : HANDPHONE?!) :sweatingbullets:

SHJ: Onions, sugar, soya sauce, sesame oil, pepper (reciting recipe)

(Handphone: HJ ah, don't doubt me, just listen to me)

Finally starting to cook

(Look at the way she holds her knife, seems like a pro)

SHJ: (muttering) Seems to be like this/It should be done like this.

(Looks like she seen it somewhere on how to do it)

0142 SHJ: No?

(Only the beginning and already clueless)

SHJ: (looking around for sesame oil and pepper then look for soya sauce)

(Finished preparation?)

SHJ trying to open a bottle with all her might. :P

(It's so obvious, she seldom cooks!)

Recipe guide: HJ Special Soya Sauce Potato

Step 1: Put onion, soya sauce, sesame oil, mince garlic, pepper together to make sauce.

SHJ: (mixing sauce) We should have great taste from now, it is impossible not to taste good.

(Now full of confidence, totally different from earlier)

(Completed Sauce!)

SHJ: This is the sauce! (proudly shows to the cam)

Step 2: Add oil then fry potato and chopped onions together.

SHJ: Fry onion and potato together. Can you hear the wonderful sizzling sound?

Step 3: After frying, add sauce and slowly simmer.

SHJ: We should start stewing. When the potatoes are cooked then turn up the fire to high and let the sauce simmer dry.

(Follow direction of her eyes on the red arrow inserted: Till the end still checking the handphone for the steps)

SHJ: Let's check if the potatoes are cooked. Yes it's cooked.

(Pouring out the completed dish, oops dropped some potatoes :rolleyes:)

SHJ: Ahhhh...such a waste! pity pity.....

(Even then she is still smiling)

SHJ wondering if the visual will come out good.

(Rather than worrying about the taste, she's worrying about the visuals)

SHJ: Let's decorate it a bit. *starts plating up* *looks good*

SHJ: FINISHED! (proudly shows her dish)

(100% reliance on handphone: SHJ special soya sauce potato completed!)

SHJ: Now what remains is washing up.

(SHJ who is also meticulous in tidying up, starts to wash dishes)

If I just wash the dishes and do not talk, will you fast forward the video?

:w00t: (If you wish............fast forwarding)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start from 03:35 to end (pls look at the vid, I'm just giving the steps)

Last part, SHJ special tips on reducing leg swelling before you sleep!

Find a large tube (those tubes left over from cling wraps or alumnium foils but it has to be large like those for commercial use)

Steps: 1) Put the tube on yoga mat 2) Put leg on top of the tube 3) Then knock your feet together.

SHJ: After doing this your feet will feel comfortable. And on the second day, your leg will feel even better. Very nice.

SHJ: Self cam for the day, but there is really nothing for me to take. I don't know if this is interesting enough anyway self cam up till here, BYE!

@icemaid Candy time! :w00t:

the sub for TAXI TVN show 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2016 at 9:04 AM, angel2013 said:

REPOST FROM: http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3006949

Singer now small-screen star

July 23,2015
  23011354.jpg
  Seo Hyun-jin Provided by Studio 706

There are many former girl group members in Korea trying to make a name for themselves as actresses.

But the truth is few succeed.

Seo Hyun-jin, formerly a member of girl group Milk, is one of the few lucky ones. After her recently concluded tvN drama series “Let’s Eat 2,” she’s now emerged as one of directors’ top choices for main character for romantic comedies.

In the drama - which was about one-person households in Korea and presented a lot of dining scenes - Seo’s down-to-earth eating and at-times comical character won the hearts of many viewers. 

In a recent interview with the JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, Seo said she is, in fact, very shy in person.

Q. Many say in the drama, you were the character, Baek Su-ji.

A. I agree. It was my first drama where I didn’t have to deliberate on what kind of tone I would adopt for my lines. I just had to work on the emotions. It was also different from playing somewhat predictable roles like the femme fatale or the obedient, traditional woman. I never knew that not having to be pretty would give me so much freedom.

How did you interpret the character?

At first, I felt pity. Because she spent many years in her house, avoiding social contact, some of her alumni even thought she might have died. But she loses more than 50 kilograms (110 pounds) and ventures out to the world again. I felt compassionate, how she worked hard to fit it and be happy, and also rooted for her.

Many were impressed by your eating scenes.

When I had eating scenes, I didn’t eat all day. Not necessarily because I was afraid I would be overweight if I did, but because I wouldn’t be able to really dig in and enjoy the food. I thought only when I eat when I’m really starved, that I would eat with relish.

Didn’t you find the scenes where you had to burp or show your armpit hair difficult?

Not really, actually. I just thought when viewers get to see scenes like that, they would feel closer to Su-ji. So I wasn’t hesitant at all. I just hope the viewers found them funny and not annoying.

What prompted you to make a leap from being a girl group member to an actress?

I was a member of Milk and we performed for about a year. But the group suddenly disbanded [partly because a member had conflicts with the agency]. It was 13 years ago. I was surprised and unsure about what to do. I got into musicals, my acting coach and I clicked well and I studied acting for four years after that.

Weren’t there times when you wanted to quit?

It took 10 years for the public to learn my name as an actress. I learned dancing since I was four, and I was in the showbiz industry from a young age. Getting a job [outside showbiz] didn’t seem like my journey. That’s why I stayed in showbiz and endured ups and downs all these years. It got me to where I am today.

You were only in short films. Do you ever want to be in feature films?

I am very curious about how my acting would be different on the big screen. I’m also curious about what it would be like to act all my heart out, immersed in just one piece [film] for a long time. I’m currently reading “Night Train to Lisbon” [by Pascal Mercier]. I would love to be in a film one day that examines human nature like that book.

this one after lets eat  drama 

• Like 2

If you know how was , searching for   this video :D  OHHaeYoung time was crazy and funny , nostalgic  :lol:

ENG] The Reason To Why Do I Delude Myself As The Lead Of A Drama? - Talking About AOHY Reunion Kiss

• Like 3

@justright now you can edit the front page ^_^

Seol Inah said she wants to work with her

When asked about the role model, she answered, "I came to know about Seo Hyunjin from 'Oh Haeyoung', and since then, I have watched of all her dramas 'Romantic Doctor Kim Sabu', 'Love Temperature' and 'Beauty Inside' I would be very happy if I met her in a project" 

Article

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@SweetLullaby, not really familiar with Seol Inah. But I noticed that a lot of new actors/actress specially those that came from Kpop scene are impressed by SHJ's acting. They really look up to her. :D:wub:

I read all those interviews again and I can't help but be touched again. It's been a very long journey for her to get where she is right now. And she deserves everything she have. When I'm getting down and feeling helpless with my career, I always think of the hardships she's been through and how she conquered all of it with flying colors. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SweetLullaby said:

@justright now you can edit the front page ^_^

Thanks. I was busy today. I'll start editing something tonight.

If anyone of you want me to change something, please tell me but i'll edit it at late night or on weekends using my personal laptop at home instead of my office laptop or mobile phone. I usually access this thread using my phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• justright changed the title to Seo Hyun Jin 서현진 a South Korean actress and singer
11 minutes ago, justright said:

It seems that there is a DVD version of the Director's cut now available for pre order. It's much cheaper than the Bluray version.

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/66914466#

Yes I saw the post about the DVD yesterday. I wonder why they need to get the quota for Blu Ray filled before offering the DVD version. Hmmm ... so does that mean I can cancel the Blu ray to order the DVD instead considering there is no English subs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlissfulMoments said:

Yes I saw the post about the DVD yesterday. I wonder why they need to get the quota for Blu Ray filled before offering the DVD version. Hmmm ... so does that mean I can cancel the Blu ray to order the DVD instead considering there is no English subs

I think the extra 1 disk of special is only for bluray pre orders. You may want to confirm this before you cancel the bluray. There may be a currency exchange loss when you cancel the bluray (not much compare with the savings from DVD purchase). Offering bluray before dvd perhaps they know most will choose dvd over bluray for cost savings. I don't think they make much profit from this.

Amendment of the 1st page is not completed yet. The font and spacing, basically the formatting made me go nuts. I'll add soompi hyunjinies web link and email later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justright said:

I think the extra 1 disk of special is only for bluray pre orders. You may want to confirm this before you cancel the bluray. There may be a currency exchange loss when you cancel the bluray (not much compare with the savings from DVD purchase). Offering bluray before dvd perhaps they know most will choose dvd over bluray for cost savings. I don't think they make much profit from this.

Amendment of the 1st page is not completed yet. The font and spacing, basically the formatting made me go nuts. I'll add soompi hyunjinies web link and email later.

That's right I forgot about the bonus disc for bluray orders, I will keep my order then. I wonder why they offer both BR and DVDs, most people would buy the DVD if given the choice.

Well I'm very thankful you put your hand up to give the front page some tlc. Please don't go nuts on us okay :D

• LOL 2