Genre: Historical, romance

Director: Gao Yi Jun
Screenwriter: Rao Jun
Producer: Yuan Yu Mei
Executive Producer: Xie Ying

Episodes: 40

Broadcast network: Youku
Broadcast period: Jun 26 - Jul 13, 2024

Note:  Adapted from the web novel "The Grand Princess" (长公主) by Mo Shu Bai (墨书白)

Cast:

Angel Zhao Jin Mai as Li Rong
Zhang Ling He as Pei Wenxuan

Synopsis:

Li Rong and Pei Wenxuan married at the age of 18.

Li Rong used Pei Wenxuan’s family background to avoid disaster, and Pei Wenxuan used Li Rong’s identity as Princess to establish himself. They married for political reasons, without the slightest bit of affection. Later on, she lost herself in the midst of wine, song and dance. As for him, he had a home yet did not bother coming home because he already had someone in his heart…

Husband and wife for 30 years, yet nothing between them but power.

In the end, it was hardly surprising that someone turned them against each other, leading them to die under each other’s schemes. However, when they woke up, they had actually returned to the year when they were 18 years old, returning to the most difficult time in their lives.

So Pei Wenxuan went to look for Li Rong. To be married again but with divorce in mind.

Credit: MDL

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse

Please report to moderator @SC2019

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] The Princess Royal 度华年, starring Angel Zhao Jin Mai & Zhang Ling He
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] The Princess Royal 度华年, premieres 26 June, starring Angel Zhao Jin Mai & Zhang Ling He

I am enjoying the show visually - such a treat to see the magnificent sets (though I can recognize some places from the other period dramas :lol:) and luxurious costumes. I like the premise of the show - that both leads get a do-over in rebirth. 

I didn’t find myself anticipating the next episodes as much as I thought I would.

The show progresses pretty quickly and I do like the pace but it lays its cards on the table a bit too quickly too. I thought there was too clear an explanation of the backstory between current scenes that the mystery was lost as soon as it began. It loses the punchlines - jokes that are explained aren’t too funny. Not sure if it’s me, but the storytelling feels rather flat. 

Also, the progress towards rebirth was so quick I didn’t get a chance to get a sense of what the leads were like in their first lives and only saw their facades shaped by the politicking they had to do. I guess regular switching back and forth between their backstories and rebirth stories attempts to show their changes/development but somehow it feels disconnected and whiplash-y.

Pei Wen Xuan, other than his ability to hold himself well at court, is like two different persons (cos predictable circumstances hardened and replaced the once-nicer him) while Li Rong retains most of the kind but cunning, strategizing princess persona, who grew weary with age. However, I do like the scene where both were playing chess and each realised who they were - subtle but impactful. 

spacer.png

CTO

@WeunXK

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

You can lean against me.

====

On 6/27/2024 at 6:21 AM, rocat said:

I like the premise of the show - that both leads get a do-over in rebirth. 

this is why i liked second chance/rebirth stories, they're good i never knew how good zhao jinmai(only watched her from Amidst a Snowstorm of Love  with Wu Lei and WXY from the Double) she is good ,she and Zhang Linghe are acting as an older (middle-age-ish) couple who go back 18/20 years in time when they first married. I liked the political plotting and the humour coming from an old couple who even turned into pseudo enemies now back as their younger selves and taking everything into control while rekindling their relationship and clear up their misunderstanding.

I didn’t find myself anticipating the next episodes as much as I thought I would.

I am glad they sort out their misunderstanding in their previous life in ep. 3 but @rocat this remind me of princess Wanning from Double

imagePei Wenxuan is just a young kid, who’s just 20 years old. There’s no difference between bullying him and bullying a child.

=====

I thought there was too clear an explanation of the backstory between current scenes that the mystery was lost as soon as it began. 

another snippet (spoilers for their first life! ) maybe this help a little @rocat chingu

Spoiler

Although he didn’t want to admit it, Pei Wenxuan still remembered that at the beginning of their marriage, when he lifted Li Rong’s veil, she raised her head and looked up at him with embarrassment and curiosity. Then, when they exchanged cups of wine, she said in a frank manner: “Wenxuan, no matter how we came to be together, having become husband and wife, I still want to live with you for the rest of my life.” At that time, he also seriously thought that he would live with Li Rong, have children and live peacefully for the rest of their lives.

That was, until Li Rong found out that he liked Qin Zhenzhen.

In truth, he didn’t even know what kind of feelings there were between him and Qin Zhenzhen, whether it was love or merely responsibility. They grew up together as children, and he only had her in his heart and hoped to live with Qin Zhenzhen for the rest of his life, but he could not do so.

Later on, Qin Zhenzhen married Li Rong’s brother, Crown Prince Li Chuan.

As Crown Prince, Li Chuan was a good Crown Prince but not a good husband. He married for political reasons, so although he was just the Crown Prince at the time, he already had a Princess Consort and four concubines. Qin Zhenzhen had a mild temperament and was unfamiliar with Palace affairs. If not for the Crown Prince’s favor and Pei Wenxuan’s help, she would have been long buried in the schemes of the Eastern Palace.

He helped her. Li Rong naturally knew about it, but she didn’t mention it at first. Later on, when he secretly rescued Qin Zhenzhen at a palace banquet and almost was exposed, Li Rong could only step in and help him with arrangements.

That day, they were sitting in the carriage on their way home, and Li Rong was silent. He was a little panicked at that time and wanted to explain, but he didn’t know what to explain because he felt that no matter what Li Rong said, she would be right.

Then, Li Rong returned home and after entering the bedchambers, she walked to the table and poured tea for herself. She turned her back to him and asked: “Do you like her?”

Pei Wenxuan stood at the door. He actually intended to say no, but he felt that it would not be completely truthful, so he replied honestly: “I can’t forget her.”

“What is your relationship with her?”

Li Rong held the cup of tea and looked very calm. Pei Wenxuan still told her the truth, their engagement when they were young because they were childhood sweethearts. After his family had fallen, the Qin family annulled the engagement, and Qin Zhenzhen was forced to marry into the Eastern Palace…

“I just wanted to help her,” He said in a low voice, “No other intentions. She’s the Crown Prince’s Side Consort now. There’s nothing else I can do.”

After he had spoken, Li Rong didn’t speak for a long time. That silence became a deeply engraved impression of that night for Pei Wenxuan.

He saw that Li Rong kept drinking water, one cup after another. After a while, Li Rong seemed to calm down. She turned her head, stared at him and only asked: “Will you betray me?”

“No.” He answered immediately. He looked at her, “You’re my wife.”

“I’m not your wife.”

Li Rong looked at him with a serious expression: “I’m just your ally.”

These words stunned Pei Wenxuan. Li Rong turned and looked out the window and calmly continued: “In this marriage, you and I had no choice and only did it for power. Truthfully speaking, there’s not one bit of love between us. You have someone in your heart, and I have someone in my heart. It’s just that we didn’t make it clear before and had some misunderstandings. Now that it’s clear, it doesn’t matter.”

“It’s not a big deal either,” Li Rong laughed, her tears seemed like they could fall at any time, “Why didn’t you say so sooner?”

Pei Wenxuan stared blankly at her. He wanted to deny it, but he felt that Li Rong wasn’t wrong either. There was no such love between him and Li Rong because it was impossible for a person to truly love two people at the same time. He already had Qin Zhenzhen in his heart, so how could he make room for Li Rong?

Seeing that he still had not spoken, Li Rong lowered her head and softly said: “If you make it clear, then it won’t be a problem. We will live as we have in the future, but I hope Pei daren remembers this in his heart:

I’m not your wife, and you’re not my husband. I don’t care who is in your heart, and you don’t need to care about who I am with. You and I will have our own lives, and we will each have our own happiness.”

“As long as Pei daren promises me,” Li Rong looked at him, her eyes sharp as a hawk, “You and I are allies, so we must never betray one another.”

cto  the Grand Princess novel

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, WeunXK said:

am glad they sort out their misunderstanding in their previous life in ep. 3 but @rocat this remind me of princess Wanning from Double

I thought they did it for the ones at the surface - there are deeper wounds that are harder to mend that need more TLC in the days to come.

I like how the bickering has made them realise more and more what they know and feel. It’s probably easier in this new life cos they are removed from the worst bits and can see better.

Loved these responses:

spacer.png

cto - his witty retorts

spacer.png

CTO - her cornering him about being petty

Also, Wanning was unhinged and way worse! Kekeke

7 hours ago, WeunXK said:

another snippet (spoilers for their first life! ) maybe this help a little @rocat chingu

I think this was well articulated in the show, a bit too clearly that it was so easy to guess the story. I wanted some mystery … and ah-ha moments …

:hwaiting2:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

@rocat

Spoiler

Preview art for ep 11. Tomorrow's forecast: heavy rain with lots of tears, pain and hard truths.  (One of my fave scenes from the novel come to life. I'M NOT READY😢

Spoiler

:luvarrow:@rocat

I'm   enjoying  the banter and bickering between them. lol There is never a dull moment.😂Image

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Im on ep 5.

Love ZLH in this role. He is intelligent, caring and funny. I dont understand why the FL is mad at him. 

The palace affairs are so tiring.  The Crown Prince is likeable and I hope there will be some loveline for him.

Finally a strong King in Cdrama.  

GRZAna9bEAA5_7W?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Now Im interested in the Crown Prince and Zhen's story. 

I didnt understand how the girl and the CP become close because the Qin brothers arent that close to CP. :unsure:

Not sure if Young Master Su is time traveler. The princess have a good chemistry with him.

That was a Grand Wedding...Young Master Su seems to have genuine feelings for LR.

Wenxuan's servant was the only one who was truly happy about the wedding. :D

Liked the scene between the CP and the Lady Qin when the CP came back from the North. 

They were talking all night long. 

The female bodyguard is smart and very capable. I like her.

Love him in the burgundy shirt...💖

GRd1NogaYAAydDB?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

d1c77bde4516ffafbc9aacfe1c811e0ece7311a7.gifv

You’d feel warmer this way.🥰Love This GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

======

:heart4:

What are you doing? Your back hurts It hurts. Don’t move. I don’t want to let go anymore. What do you mean by you don’t want to let go anymore? You want to keep holding me like this? It’s alright. I know you must feel horrible today. Keep holding me if you want to. It’s okay. Well, I’ll sleep now.(via sarah-yyy)

====

what pei wenxuan wants in this 2nd lifetime marriage is  clear... he wants li rong came to him by her own will... li rong should realize by her own on how much she loves him too @rocat

@rocat:wub:#zhanglinghe & zhao jinmai at #ThePrincessRoyal promotional event

🤣😂

Spoiler

====

adding @rocat 👋@SC2019 @Table122000and @omiki

thoughts:🤔

The drama (and the novel which the drama has been following decently) makes it clear that Li Rong is this character who doesn’t necessarily understand love. Not because she’s incapable of it (all of her actions in fact reveal her as a character with deep capacity to love), but it doesn’t exist in that palace environment she grew up in where her own birth mother is willing to sacrifice her for her brother’s and her clan’s power.

And her and PWX’s relationship is complicated and nuanced. I will note that even PWX himself is not forcing her to return his feelings after his confession in the rain. He understands that there is a lot of history between them (and with her and SRQ, who after all was her companion for 20 years). But what’s so compelling about her and PWX’s relationship is that even though they can’t quite label it, they consider each other as family.

====

if the drama wanted us to believe that Su Rongqing was the finest gentleman in the capital, they shouldn’t have cast Zhang Linghe as the husband because his face is a wall that few can surpass. Seriously. Zhang Linghe is really3x, good looking it’s almost distracting. @rocat @SC2019🤗

-----

I love how Li Rong and Pei Wenxuan aren’t shy around each other physically. They were married for 20 years after all, even if they were essentially separated for a majority of that marriage.

===

Oh Li Chuan, your sister stayed out all night with a man and the thing you’re most worried about is a kiss?

===

Omg empress mother. Why are you so dumb?

===

Ooh Li Rong correcting herself and changing “mother” to “Your highness” was so pointed.

===

“Mother, you’re not cut out to be a politician.” Oh. My. God. I love her.

“All I need is for you to truly be my mother.” Omg.

“I just need for me and Chuan to be safe.”  you do know you also have a daughter right? 

===

OMG Zhang Linghe has such perfect lips. It’s enough to make a girl jealous. Pretty boy indeed.

----------

This is one of my favorite scenes in the novel and they totally did it justice, Li Rong busting down the Pei compound to rescue her man, literally grabbing a sword!:yay:

Spoiler

My fave part is her losing her mind seeing him hurt; I swear she gives the sword to ZZ in part because she’s worried she’d use it on the Peis! (But also, she eviscerates them just fine without a weapon.)

I love how she’s tiny but terrorizes everyone within.

When she smacks the RickRoll'D out of the uncle, it was so satisfying, especially since the worm can’t believe it!

And neither can poor PWX!

Love her “what are you going to do about it, RickRoll'D?” face!

And then she starts verbally flaying them one by one!

They try to stop her in various ways and it doesn’t work at all. It’s glorious! cto

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh, Zhen is now LR's personal bodyguard.   that was smart.

I didnt understand if the Crown Prince knew that...:unsure:

GRTp30va8AAkcrS?format=jpg&name=360x360

:what!: I just realized I missed the part...:lol: so , it is their first encounter....:wub:

• Like 2

I like the drama.

I am a little annoyed that the Princess has the hots for another guy (the one who killed her at the end of their previous life).

The redeeming factor for me for this fact is that she's starting to appreciate her husband.

I think she just has a crush on SRQ and she feels guilty for the annihilation of his family in the previous life. 

• Like 1

Like the friendship between the girls. 

The Crown Prince and Miss Qin...I hope they get more scenes soon. 

Mr. Su is a time-traveler. 

the scene was hilariou

the attendant  - ''your highness, my master is missing''....:lol:

GRyNY1tb0AApAkT?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Like the friendship between the girls. 

The Crown Prince and Miss Qin...I hope they get more scenes soon. 

Mr. Su is a time-traveler. 

the scene was hilariou

the attendant  - ''your highness, my master is missing''....:lol:

I know right?! Too funny how both attendants were happy.

The guy was like "We have to look for my master!" Who's the guy in there with you?"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2024] The Princess Royal 度华年
  • 2 weeks later...