[Drama 2023] Twinkling Watermelon, 반짝이는 워터멜론

larus

News bites: September 5, 2023

by tccolb

optimize

Thankfully, this fall is not all about ~evil~ and we’ll be getting our chance to get snuggled and toasty with tvN’s Twinkling Watermelon. Premiering this month on September 25, we get another look at our characters forging bonds and celebrating life in the sweet new teaser, with leads Ryeoun (The Secret Romantic Guesthouse), Choi Hyun-wook (D.P. 2), Seol In-ah (Oasis), and Shin Eun-soo (Summer Strike). [News1]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/news-bites-september-5-2023/

https://www.news1.kr/articles/5159861

Ryeoun, Choi Hyun Wook, Seol In Ah, And Shin Eun Soo Have The Time Of Their Lives In Posters For “Twinkling Watermelon”

Sep 7, 2023

tvN has unveiled new posters for its upcoming drama “Twinkling Watermelon”!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music accidentally travels back in time to 1995 through a suspicious music shop. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with other mysterious youths.

Ryeoun will star in the drama as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his family, who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook will take on the role of the passionate Lee Chan, who is full of Generation X vibes. Seol In Ah will transform into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung, while Shin Eun Soo will play the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

The newly released posters depict Eun Gyeol, Lee Chan, Se Kyung, Chung Ah, and other youths having the time of their lives on a sandy beach. Amidst the crashing waves and warm sunshine, the group of young people is all smiles as they chase each other around.

The posters also feature objects such as a guitar, a T-shirt, and a huge watermelon. Meanwhile, the captions include the phrase “Youth is a sparkling watermelon,” leaving viewers to wonder why youth is referred to as a sparkling watermelon and how the two words are connected.

twinkling-watermelon-1.jpg

twinkling-watermelon-2.jpg

The production team of “Twinkling Watermelon” commented, “Eun Gyeol, who travels back to 1995, and the youth he meets from the past all have dreams and goals as diverse as the seeds hidden in a watermelon.” They added, “Please look forward to seeing what kind of chemistry the ‘sparkling’ youth will have as they grow together.”

“Twinkling Watermelon” premieres on September 25 at 8:50 p.m. KST and will be available with subtitles on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1612217wpp/ryeoun-choi-hyun-wook-seol-in-ah-and-shin-eun-soo-have-the-time-of-their-lives-in-posters-for-twinkling-watermelon

by Lily Alice, September 11, 2023

tvN's upcoming K-drama Twinkling Watermelon has unveiled a teaser that teases a remarkable transformation of Seol In Ah as Choi Se Kyeong and Choi Hyun Wook as Ha Lee Chan. 

The teaser kicks off with the surprising return of Se Kyeong, who left for her overseas studies. Her unexpected reappearance exudes a subtly altered demeanor, and she has even cut her long hair short. This naturally piques curiosity about the events that transpired in her life during her time away.

Furthermore, Se Kyeong takes the initiative in approaching Lee Chan, who had kept his distance due to a hectic schedule. The unanticipated reunion between the two incites tension from Eun Gyeol (Ryeoun) and Cheong Ah (Shin Eun Soo), who harbors feelings for Lee Chan.

Eun Gyeol, who had planned to serve as a bridge between Lee Chan and Cheong Ah, confronts Se Kyeong, questioning her return with, "What's happening? Why are you back now?" In response, Se Kyeong calmly asks, "Is there any reason I shouldn't have returned?" leaving Eun Gyeol even more perplexed.

As Se Kyeong begins to take an interest in Cheong Ah, tension escalates due to the potential changes that could unfold in the 1995 past. Cheong Ah reciprocates Se Kyeong's overtures with enthusiasm, asking, "Could we become friends?" intensifying curiosity about how the relationship between these two young women will evolve.

Se Kyeong's unexpected transformation into an entirely different person is expected to have a ripple effect not only on Lee Chan but on Cheong Ah's life as well. Additionally, the K-drama teases significant obstacles to Eun Gyeol's plan to manipulate Lee Chan's high school years in an attempt to change his own life. 

How will the tangled threads of fate unravel in 1995?

https://mydramalist.com/article/se-kyeong-proves-an-obstacle-in-ryeoun-s-plan-in-1995-in-twinkling-watermelon

Watch: Ryeoun Tries To Stop Love Triangle Between Seol In Ah, Choi Hyun Wook, And Shin Eun Soo In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Watch: Ryeoun Tries To Stop Love Triangle Between Seol In Ah, Choi Hyun Wook, And Shin Eun Soo In “Twinkling Watermelon”

A brand new teaser has been released for the coming-of-age drama “Twinkling Watermelon.”

“Twinkling Watermelon” tells the story Eun Gyeol (Ryeoun), a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music. However, his life soon takes an unexpected turn when he crash lands in an unfamiliar place after time traveling through a mysterious music shop all the way back to 1995. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with his father Lee Chan (Choi Hyun Wook), who was a high school student at the time, and other mysterious youths.

The newest teaser draws special attention to the changes happening between Lee Chan and his high school love interest Se Kyung (Seol In Ah).

The teaser starts with the sudden return of Se Kyung from her time studying abroad, much to the surprise of Lee Chan and Eun Gyeol. However, it seems that her time abroad brought some changes to Se Kyung’s life, and viewers see a shot of her cutting her hair as a possible symbol of the changes she experienced.

Se Kyung also shows a bit more boldness upon her return, actively seeking out Lee Chan, who has been keeping a low profile due to his busy schedule. Her newfound charisma draws the attention of Eun Gyeol as well as his mother Chung Ah (Shin Eun Soo), who is harboring a secret crush on Lee Chan.

Seeing as he is trying to get his parents together, Eun Gyeol does his best to intercept the forming love triangle by confronting Se Kyung and asking why she returned. However, she simply replies, “Is there any reason I shouldn’t have come back?” with a nonchalant expression.

As if to show Eun Gyeol that she can do as she pleases, Se Kyung ends up asking Lee Chan on a date to the amusement park. Of course, Lee Chan is ecstatic to be spending time with his crush and can’t stop smiling the entire time, even in spite of Eun Gyeol’s valiant attempts to derail the two high schoolers’ date.

And on top of all of that, Se Kyung also approaches Chung Ah, who proposes that they be friends. What could this mean for the relationships between Se Kyung, Chung Ah, and Lee Chan, and could this possibly affect the future?

Watch the full teaser below!

“Twinkling Watermelon” will premiere on September 25 at 8:50 p.m. KST and will be available on Viki

https://www.soompi.com/article/1612881wpp/watch-ryeoun-tries-to-stop-love-triangle-between-seol-in-ah-choi-hyun-wook-and-shin-eun-soo-in-twinkling-watermelon

Seol In-ah poses a risk for Ryeoun in Twinkling Watermelon

by lovepark

tvN’s upcoming timeslip drama Twinkling Watermelon has dropped a new trailer along with a batch of cute posters. Revealing a bit more of the plot, this latest trailer centers around Seol In-ah (Oasis) as her character, Choi Se-kyung, suddenly comes back home after studying abroad. Her reappearance throws a wrench in our time traveler’s plans, and Eun-gyul, played by Ryeoun (The Secret Romantic Guesthouse), demands an answer for her unexpected return.

The trailer asks if they can protect their twinkling youth and shows Se-kyung acting friendly towards Yi-chan, who is played by Choi Hyun-wook (D.P. 2). She invites him to an amusement park, but Eun-gyul interrupts their date, inserting himself between them at every chance.

In voiceover, Se-kyung says that she wants to get to know “them” better, but it’s unclear if she is still talking about Yi-chan or the third leg in this love triangle, Yoon Chung-ah, played by Shin Eun-soo (Summer Strike). Holding a notecard with the question, “Could we be friends?” Chung-ah waves at Se-kyung awkwardly and looks away.

The character posters focus on the boys, specifically Yi-chan’s band, with each member getting their own mini-profile. Starting off with guitarist Eun-gyul, some of his keywords are CODA (children of deaf adults), musical genius, future boy stuck in 1995, and Yi-chan’s gum (a.k.a., his clingy tagalong). As for frontman Yi-chan, his keywords include rock spirit newbie band man, analog vibes retro boy, and I love you Se-kyung! (Who is Yoon Chung-ah?)

We also get a glimpse at the others, starting with manager Ma-ju, played by Ahn Do-kyu (Duty After School). His keywords are born-to-be businessman and zero musical knowledge and talent. Next up is bassist Hyeon-yul, played by Yoon Jae-chan (Summer, Love Machine Blues), who is described as the frontman if Yi-chan was gone and a combination of prickly+haughty+sensitive. On the piano is Se-bum, played by Lee Soo-chan (Yoon-hee’s Love), with the keywords off-stage Bae Yong-joon but on-stage a rock star. Lastly we have drummer Shi-guk, played by Lee Ha-min (New Love Playlist), with the description rock spirit over prayers and drummer from hell.

Written by Jin Soo-wan (Chicago Typewriter) and co-directed by PD Sohn Jung-hyun (Mental Coach Jegal) and PD Yoo Beom-sang, tvN’s Twinkling Watermelon premieres on September 25.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/seol-in-ah-poses-a-risk-for-ryeoun-in-twinkling-watermelon/

On 9/4/2023 at 11:38 AM, partyon said:

Twinkling Watermelon? Really? That's the name of the drama?   

I don’t know how to make you feel better chingu about the title because the Korean title literally translate to the English title :joy:

EDIT: Okay maybe to make it A LITTLE better…. 반짝이 in English means like sparkling or bright, so it makes you feel better to think of it as “Sparking Watermelon”…. :loolz: But the second half of the title, 워터멜론, yup that is literally watermelon

• LOL 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:00 PM, backstreetboysfan said:

Seeing as he is trying to get his parents together, Eun Gyeol does his best to intercept the forming love triangle by confronting Se Kyung and asking why she returned. However, she simply replies, “Is there any reason I shouldn’t have come back?” with a nonchalant expression.

I understand that he wants his parents together but if he was born in the future, that doesn`t mean they will be togheter eventually? Why he will risk unecesarry intervention in the past? I don`t get it why the need for the time travel.  But I guess there is a good explanation for this plot.

13 hours ago, larus said:

I understand that he wants his parents together but if he was born in the future, that doesn`t mean they will be togheter eventually? Why he will risk unecesarry intervention in the past? I don`t get it why the need for the time travel.  But I guess there is a good explanation for this plot.

Yeah that is so true eh, let's hope so.

Ryeoun And Choi Hyun Wook Are Father-And-Son Bandmates In “Twinkling Watermelon” Posters

Sep 13, 2023
by S. Kim

tvN has unveiled new group posters for its upcoming drama “Twinkling Watermelon”!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which CODA (child of deaf adult) student Eun Gyeol (Ryeoun) time travels through a suspicious music shop and lands in 1995, where he meets his parents Lee Chan (Choi Hyun Wook) and Chung Ah (Shin Eun Soo) as high school students along with the school’s cello goddess Se Kyung (Seol In Ah).

The poster below previews Eun Gyeol and Lee Chan playing their guitars in harmony. At first glance, they seem to be friends of the same age who play in the school’s band. However, reality is that Lee Chan and Eun Gyeol are father and son who meet in the past through a time slip.

twinkling-watermelon-poster.jpeg

The text that reads, “I want to make you shine, first on stage, then in life,” captures viewers’ attention. Eun Gyeol, who lands in 1995, sets a goal to change the future by manipulating his father Lee Chan’s high school years. Viewers are curious to find out whether Eun Gyeol’s struggle to make his father Lee Chan’s life shine will come into fruition as he wants.

twinkling-watermelon-poster2.jpeg

“Twinkling Watermelon” is set to premiere on September 25 at 8:50 p.m. KST and will be available on Viki!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1613511wpp/ryeoun-and-choi-hyun-wook-are-father-and-son-bandmates-in-twinkling-watermelon-posters

• Like 1

Ryeoun And Choi Hyun Wook Dish On What Drew Them To “Twinkling Watermelon” And Charms Of Their Characters

Sep 14, 2023
by M. Lim

Get ready to be charmed by Ryeoun and Choi Hyun Wook’s characters in their upcoming drama “Twinkling Watermelon”!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which CODA (child of deaf adult) student Eun Gyeol (Ryeoun) time travels through a suspicious music shop and lands in 1995, where he meets his parents Lee Chan (Choi Hyun Wook) and Chung Ah (Shin Eun Soo) as high school students along with the school’s cello goddess Se Kyung (Seol In Ah).

Both Ryeoun and Choi Hyun Wook cited the script as their primary reason for choosing the drama. Ryeoun shared, “The script was so captivating that I couldn’t put it down. I wanted to challenge myself with a role I hadn’t tried before, and there are so many aspects that I want to explore through this character.” Similarly, Choi Hyun Wook remarked, “As I read the script, it felt warm and nostalgic throughout. I liked it so much that I worried if I could do justice to it with my acting.”

Twinkling-Watermelon-1.jpeg

Inspired by the well-crafted script, Ryeoun further shared that he’s currently dedicated to capturing the details of his character’s growth. “Even in my daily life, I continued to research and practice whenever possible because my character is proficient in sign language, guitar, and singing. I’m putting a lot of thought into portraying the character, as I want to not only memorize the lines but also to fully convey Eun Gyeol’s diverse range of emotions.”

Twinkling-Watermelon-3.jpeg

Choi Hyun Wook shared his hope that viewers would experience the excitement of “firsts” while watching the development of Lee Chan’s character. He elaborated, “I believe that youth is defined by one’s determination in life rather than conforming to a fixed standard. I tried my best to portray the pure emotions of experiencing something for the first time. Lee Chan is going through everything for the first time, from love to forming a band, so I aim to depict a youth who fearlessly embraces every new experience without overthinking.”

Twinkling-Watermelon-4.jpeg

When it comes to highlighting the charms of their respective characters, Ryeoun pointed out, “Eun Gyeol may seem like a model student on the surface, but when he’s doing music, he transforms into a completely different person. I believe this duality will be fun to watch.”

On the other hand, Choi Hyun Wook described Lee Chan’s “playfulness, cuteness, and surprisingly good dancing skills” as his charm. He added, “You will be captivated by his unique dance and find it hard to determine whether he’s a good dancer or not.” With a laugh, he concluded, “You’ll witness an energy level like no other, so please don’t underestimate him.”

Spoiler

Twinkling-Watermelon-2.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1613812wpp/ryeoun-and-choi-hyun-wook-dish-on-what-drew-them-to-twinkling-watermelon-and-charms-of-their-characters

• Like 1

20230915031110_seol-in-ah-shin-eun-soo.jSeol In Ah And Shin Eun Soo Talk About Portraying Their Characters In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Sep 15, 2023
by S. Kim

Seol In Ah and Shin Eun Soo have dished on their characters in “Twinkling Watermelon”!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music crash lands at an unfamiliar place after time traveling through a suspicious music shop. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with other mysterious youths. The drama stars Ryeoun as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his deaf family, and Choi Hyun Wook as Lee Chan full of Generation X vibes.

Seol In Ah, who transforms into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung, shared, “I imagined a lot about what the family environment was like [for Se Kyung] from her childhood until now and what stories she heard from her parents growing up. It actually helped me a lot [in pararing for the role].”

TW-03.jpeg

Shin Eun Soo plays the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth. The actress remarked, “She is a character who speaks with her eyes. I have no lines, but I imagine and talk to myself about the intentions and emotions [of my character] when communicating.”

TW-04.jpeg

More https://www.soompi.com/article/1613941wpp/seol-in-ah-and-shin-eun-soo-talk-about-portraying-their-characters-in-twinkling-watermelon

• Like 1

20230921032930_Twinkling-Watermelon-teasWatch: Ryeoun, Choi Hyun Wook, Shin Eun Soo, And Seol In Ah Are All Smiles In “Twinkling Watermelon” Teaser

Sep 21, 2023
by S. Kim

tvN has unveiled a new teaser for its upcoming drama “Twinkling Watermelon”!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music accidentally travels back in time to 1995 through a suspicious music shop. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with other mysterious youths.

Ryeoun will star in the drama as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his family, who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook will take on the role of the passionate Lee Chan, who is full of Generation X vibes. Seol In Ah will transform into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung, while Shin Eun Soo will play the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

The newly released highlight video begins with the story of Eun Gyeol, who plays guitar in his band unbeknownst to his parents. However, when his double life gets discovered, he comes into conflict with his father (Choi Won Young) and is forced to choose between music and his family.

After much deliberation, Eun Gyeol decides to sell his guitar to a suspicious music shop and leaves. However, when he walks outside the door, he cannot help but be taken aback by the unfamiliar scenery of 1995 in front of his eyes. Eun Gyeol is thrown into greater confusion when he meets his father Lee Chan and his mother Chung Ah as well as his father’s first love Se Kyung, who are the same age as him.

Watch the full teaser below!

https://youtu.be/vhH5El2hz9I

https://www.soompi.com/article/1615299wpp/watch-ryeoun-choi-hyun-wook-shin-eun-soo-and-seol-in-ah-are-all-smiles-in-twinkling-watermelon-teaser