[Drama 2023] Twinkling Watermelon, 반짝이는 워터멜론

larus

If Yi Chan had an accident when he was 20 years old (he said that to his son in the future) then the one who will suffer an accident before the reharsal was not him. Maybe there is another person from the band who will get hurt and the band will disband. I hope they will sing at the festival. Now I want for Yi chan to perform there even if he will become deaf later. Better it will be if he will not become deaf but at least he will have a great time/ good memories performing at the festival.

I want more screen time for the girls.

Eun Yoo was right.... that green tracksuit remind me of Squid Games also. :D Eun Gyeol did not realise yet that she is from the future also but if he will get more of those little hints he will know.

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for Episode 11:).

“The Matchmakers” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings

“The Matchmakers” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings

Meanwhile, episode 11 of tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” achieved an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.3 percent, seeing a slight decrease from its previous episode’s rating of 3.5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1623163wpp/the-matchmakers-premieres-to-no-1-ratings

17 hours ago, larus said:

If Yi Chan had an accident when he was 20 years old (he said that to his son in the future) then the one who will suffer an accident before the reharsal was not him.

Except that with the Korean age system, he could be 20 (in Korean age) as a senior...

Son could have prevented the original way the accident happened, but I dunno...I feel it will still come to pass, one way or another. 

Seol In Ah Makes Final Choice Between Ryeoun And Choi Hyun Wook In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Seol In Ah Makes Final Choice Between Ryeoun And Choi Hyun Wook In “Twinkling Watermelon”

The bet between Ryeoun and Choi Hyun Wook is about to be revealed in today’s episode of “Twinkling Watermelon”!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music accidentally travels back in time to 1995 through a suspicious music shop. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with other mysterious youths.

Ryeoun stars as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his family, who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook takes on the role of the passionate Yi Chan, Eun Gyeol’s father who was a high school student in 1995. Seol In Ah transforms into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung, while Shin Eun Soo plays the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

Spoilers

The grand showdown to capture Se Kyung’s heart and the highly anticipated debut performance of Watermelon Sugar will take center stage at the Festival today! In the newly released stills ahead of today’s episode, Eun Gyeol, Yi Chan, and the Watermelon Sugar crew grace the spotlight, sporting T-shirts designed by Chung Ah. The venue is teeming with students eager to witness Watermelon Sugar’s performance and the arrival of Eun Yu (pretending as Se Kyung) adds an extra layer of excitement and anticipation.

twinkling-watermelon-11.jpeg

twinkling-watermelon-10.jpeg

twinkling-watermelon-12.jpeg

With Se Kyung caught in the midst of a very public love triangle with Eun Gyeol and Yi Chan and everyone aware that her final choice will be revealed on this festival day, curiosity is at its peak. The burning question remains: Will Eun Yu opt for the most likely contender of her mom Se Kyung’s first love Yi Chan or will she select Eun Gyeol, with whom she has significantly grown closer?

Spoiler

twinkling-watermelon-13.jpeg

twinkling-watermelon-14.jpeg

Tune in to the next episode of “Twinkling Watermelon” to discover the final outcome on October 31 at 8:50 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1623228wpp/seol-in-ah-makes-final-choice-between-ryeoun-and-choi-hyun-wook-in-twinkling-watermelon

8 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Son could have prevented the original way the accident happened, but I dunno...I feel it will still come to pass, one way or another. 

I remember when Yi Chan had a loss of hearing for a few seconds and that`s why he went to the hospital for investigations. We did not hear the diagnostic, Yi Chan said that it is nothing but he could have lied. Right now, I have a feeling that Eun Gyeol can`t prevent his father losing the hearing. Just like the Master said, Eun Gyeol was not there in 1995 to save his parents but for himself. Both Eun Gyeol and Eun Yoo are there as a gift for them.
I understood why Eun Gyeol run to the school gym (to save his father) but I am sorry that his date with Eun Yoo was ruined.

Now I have to watch episode 12.

• Like 1

I admit that by this point I am about to wring Se Kyung's neck. I get it that she has a lot on her mind, but she is not the only human in the universe, and people around her are actually going through some stuff, too. She's better than Chung Ah's sister, that's true. But hi, speaking of her and not her mother, Chung Ah is literally her only female friend in this world, and Se Kyung has been so self-absorbed she hasn't been able to see that maybe, just maybe, Chung Ah has something on her mind, too. Or maybe likes Yi Chan for real, not just as a bet or as a way to kill herself off? On top of that, the band likes her, and Eun Gyeol actually likes her, too, and is concerned about her as a human (not just as a way to win a bet). It is HIGH time for those two to figure out there're from the same time (especially since I hate for Eun Gyeol to keep thinking she's going to grow up and turn into weird Ahjummah). 

As for Chung Ah rejecting Yi Chan, I can totally understand her point of view. And he is still too clueless to realize she's  the one he's interested. Poor puppy. But I have faith that he'll figure it out... 

Here are the ratings for Episode 12:).

“Twinkling Watermelon” And “The Matchmakers” Are Neck-And-Neck In Close Ratings Battle

“Twinkling Watermelon” And “The Matchmakers” Are Neck-And-Neck In Close Ratings Battle

The battle for viewership continues!

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 12 of tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.8 percent. This is a 0.5 percent increase from its previous episode’s rating of 3.3 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1623473wpp/twinkling-watermelon-and-the-matchmakers-are-neck-and-neck-in-close-ratings-battle

tvN's Twinkling Watermelon scored a nationwide rating of 3.26% for episode 11, a slight decline from its previous episode's viewership of 3.51%. The K-drama is on a streak of 3% ratings. It will probably conclude with single-digit viewership. 

d04Wed_2f.png

When and where to watch the K-drama Twinkling Watermelon?

Episode 12 of Twinkling Watermelon will air on October 31 (Tuesday). The K-drama is available to stream on Viki

https://mydramalist.com/article/the-matchmakers-starts-off-with-decent-ratings-evilive-sees-improvement

20 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I admit that by this point I am about to wring Se Kyung's neck. I get it that she has a lot on her mind, but she is not the only human in the universe, and people around her are actually going through some stuff, too. She's better than Chung Ah's sister, that's true. But hi, speaking of her and not her mother, Chung Ah is literally her only female friend in this world, and Se Kyung has been so self-absorbed she hasn't been able to see that maybe, just maybe, Chung Ah has something on her mind, too. Or maybe likes Yi Chan for real, not just as a bet or as a way to kill herself off? On top of that, the band likes her, and Eun Gyeol actually likes her, too, and is concerned about her as a human (not just as a way to win a bet). It is HIGH time for those two to figure out there're from the same time (especially since I hate for Eun Gyeol to keep thinking she's going to grow up and turn into weird Ahjummah). 

Come on, you are upset at Eun Yoo for what? Saying that she will pick Yi Chan? Because she did not realise that Chung Ah likes Yi Chan? I actually found her reaction understandable. Everyone is be selfish/self absorbed if you ask me.

When Eun Gyeol left Eun Yoo without an explanation, she was hurt. He did not said anything and after he left the date for saving Yi Chan he went to the boys at a bath until he remembered that there was someone else whom let down. Sure, he has an explanation why he left but it doesn`t matter. She said that she hates being abandoned. Eun Yoo already put her guard down and she won`t listen. Eun gyeol was a distraction for her, he made her feel good for a moment. She already start falling in love with him and now, after he 'abandoned' her, she he returned with her feet on the ground. Plus, she knows that they can`t develop in something more.

She didn`t realise that Chung Ah likes Yi Chan? I would not realise it either.  They don`t spend a lot of time together, they are not really friends. Perhaps that Eun yoo comunicates a little using sign languages but they are not comunicating very well, or on a deeper level. The audience knows that she likes Yi Chan but she doesn`t see it unless Chung Ah tells her.

I think Eun Gyeol was not very nice in this situation. Sure, he felt in love with Eun Yoo also but he started dating her with false pretenses as well. Eun Gyeol is selfish/ self absorbed too. He need his problem resolved, right?

Chung Ah said to Yi Chan that she wants to be friends but the moment there was another woman who not even care for him much she doesn`t want to be a friend anymore. It is understandable. She wants to protect her heart. That`s kind of selfish too, isn`t it?

Everyone is self absorbed or on a pity party. There is a misunderstanding and the truth is not revealed yet.  But that`s the way the writer gives a little thrill  and excitement. She prepares us for the climax.

We saw how Yi Chan has Chung ah on his mind and she definetly entered his heart. She already likes him and we`ll see Yi Chan realising his feelings and probably he will look for her.

Eun Gyeol realized his feelings for Eun Yoo too. He looked for her and said that it doesn`t matter who she is. Things start to be better for both couples.

From the preview, I see that the band has to compose a song. I think my theory was right. I think Eun Gyeol start composing the song but he will not finish it.  Se Kyeong`s father gave young Eun Gyeol that song and I think he will finish it after he will come back in 2023. I don`t know if both time travelers will come back togheter (that means they will find out about each other in 1995) or Eun Gyeol will realize it in 2023. We`ll see.

• Like 1

Well...they are all self-absorbed to a point because they are all teenagers and don't have the maturity to see beyond their own experiences. And of course Se Kyung has a reason to be ticked at Eun Gyeol running off during their date. But of all four of them, in some ways I feel like Se Kyung is the most blind to the people around her. The others are starting to grow and change and develop more sensitivity, but her progress seems a little slow to me. I'm sure it's coming, that's the point of character growth. And I think that once she and Eun Gyeol are on the same page, know they are both time travelers and can team up on their goals together, she will be a major driving force in making things happen. 

One way that Eun Gyeol could grow would be to let go of the belief that the weight of the entire universe depends on him. I like him a lot because of his care for all of the people around him. But it's going to crack up if he keeps on this path, because he can't be in two places at once, and trying to save one person inevitably will make another person feel like he's abandoned them, as @larus pointed out. 

I like the idea of him finishing the song in 2023. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, frozentundra said:

But of all four of them, in some ways I feel like Se Kyung is the most blind to the people around her. The others are starting to grow and change and develop more sensitivity, but her progress seems a little slow to me.

They did not show her in many scenes if it is not related to Eun Gyeol. Yes, she is mostly unaware of people around her but if we`ll see more of her world we can undestand her too. It is explainable. Eun Yoo had a beautiful childhood but in the same time, she faced a lot of pressure. Playing an intrument in a profesional matter, requires lot of practice. We can assume her childhood was almost practice to be the best. And she had an extra pressure as a daughter of another succesful violonist. She is a single child and I think when her parents divorced,  the fragile balance in her life fell apart. I don`t think she has many friends in 2023, or that she ever dated.

Considering that and that she knows that she is only temporary in this word (in 1995), it is hard to imagine her developing healthy social skills. I wish they show the girls connected more. Unfortunetly, we can`t see these scenes. The show insists of the connection between father and son and they show many cute scenes between them. At least we saw a few scenes where Eun Gyeol spend time with Kyung Ah but not as much as we saw between Yi Chan and Eun Gyeol.

Going back to Eun Yoo,   all we see was Eun Yoo in the popular Se Kyung`s shoes. Having lots of fans/admirers mean nothing. In the end they are utterly alone (both mother and daughter).

I liked episode 12. It the lastest episode, two couples were born. It is an episode when everyone realised that they have feeling to one another. Chung Ah is in love with Yi Chan and she realized it is too painful to see him having a crush to another girl. Yi Chan was sad that Chung Ah did not come to the festival concert and not so much that Se Kyung was not there.

Eun Gyeol realised his feelings towards `Se Kyung`/Eun Yoo. Eun Yoo was hurt that Eun Gyeol was not there for her but I bet seeing him at the airoport  when she needed him the most meant so much to her.

There are only 4 episodes left. I want to see more of the new couples spending time together, I want to see that Eun Yoo meeting her biological grandfather and Chung ah improving her relationship with her dad.

The band will go on a trip to write a song? I wish both girl will come with them. :D

• Like 1

Twinkling Watermelon: Episodes 11-12

by Dramaddictally

First love is taking its heartbreaking toll this week, but hey, that’s high school. We’re on an emotional rollercoaster just like our leads as they navigate their feelings and how to express them. Sometimes love means saying you’re sorry and other times it means finding a bridge between different worlds. Any way you slice it, our heart-and-soul hero is growing up.

EPISODES 11-12

The highs are high and the lows are low, but both extremes hit me exactly how I wanted them to. The spring festival is upon us and it’s a rockin’ good time — meaning Eun-gyeol might have just changed the future for real.

We learn about the causes of the accident this week (or, “an accident” — who knows what else is in store!) that could have injured Yi-chan or another band mate. Thanks to Eun-gyeol, crisis is averted, but it rears its ugly head a second time and the boys have a serious scare.

It starts when the leader of the Jindo Dog Gang gets out of jail. This is the same group of thugs that put Yi-chan in the hospital two weeks ago and now they’ve got bigger plans. To everyone’s surprise (because it came a little out of nowhere), the bass player of Watermelon Sugar, KANG HYUN-YOOL (Yoon Jae-chan) is the former second in command of the gang.

The gang leader is out to kill Hyun-yool because he “betrayed” the gang. He starts by fixing the stage lights so they’ll fall during the band’s rehearsal, but luckily no one is hurt when they do. This is because Eun-gyeol has taken Yi-chan to a remote island and held him captive, screwing up band practice for everyone.

Eun-gyeol gets the tip that Yi-chan’s accident might happen during rehearsal on the day before the festival when he remembers a 2023 interview with famous rocker Yoon Dong-jin. The interview states that (in the original timeline) the band never played the spring festival due to a serious accident that injured one of the members so badly that the band had to break up.

Eun-gyeol begs Yi-chan not to rehearse but when his pleas don’t work, he uses Eun-yoo to trap Yi-chan. Yi-chan takes a boat, thinking he’s going to meet “Se-kyung” on the island, but finds Eun-gyeol instead — with no return boats all day. Eun-gyeol is desperate to keep Yi-chan there and tells him the truth: he’s his son from the future and he’s trying to prevent a tragedy.

Yi-chan doesn’t believe it and is about to find another way off the island when Eun-gyeol jumps off a cliff (I kid you not) to get him to stay. Yi-chan dives into the water behind Eun-gyeol to save him, and then sits with him on the beach until evening, deciding to give Eun-gyeol what he wants. When Eun-gyeol hears that Yi-chan isn’t going to rehearsal, he sobs into Yi-chan’s chest with relief. The stage lights fall but because the other band mates are all in a kerfuffle that their front man is missing, no one is on stage when it happens.

With the accident thwarted, it’s time for Eun-gyeol’s date with Eun-yoo. This scenario comes about as payment for Eun-yoo lying to Yi-chan about why he’s needed on an island. She wants two things from Eun-gyeol in return: 1) to know what big secret he’s hiding and 2) a movie date the next night. She’s embarrassed when she asks for the second one, but he’s all over it with popcorn, soda, and giant grin.

Their date doesn’t go as planned. Before they enter the theater, Eun-gyeol gets a message that, now that Yi-chan is back, the band found a way to sneak into the school at night and practice anyway. Eun-gyeol runs out — leaving Eun-yoo without a word — and gets to the gym to find Yi-chan and the rest in an all-out battle with the Jindo Dog Gang. Since the stage lights didn’t kill Hyun-yool, they’ll have to use their fists.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/11/twinkling-watermelon-episodes-11-12/

Some of the old songs that Watermelon Sugar band sang:

"Magic Castle" by The Classic

"Sunset Glow" by Lee Moon-sae

Spoiler

"As Much as the Love Scattered in the World" by Lee Seung-hwan

"So Soon" by Sanulrim

A Man In Yellow Shirt-Han Myeong-Suk

Rain and your story - BooHwal

I just realised that actor Kim Chang-wan was in  a band when he was young. :o And he was a composer too. What a talented guy!  It would have been really cool if they wound have invited him to appear in a cameo in this drama.

• Like 1

[Episode 13 Preview FULL] Ryeowoon♥Seolinah, who declared a public relationship, appears holding hands?! On the other hand, Choi Hyun-wook ♥ Shin Eun-soo continues to diverge ㅠㅠ #SparklingWatermelon

Twinkling Watermelon OST [Part 1-8] | 반짝이는 워터멜론 OST | Kdrama OST 2023

• Like 1

17 hours ago, larus said:

There are only 4 episodes left. I want to see more of the new couples spending time together, I want to see that Eun Yoo meeting her biological grandfather and Chung ah improving her relationship with her dad.

The band will go on a trip to write a song? I wish both girl will come with them. :D

Yesss, me too. :) 

I think Se Kyung (the 2023 daughter, I mean) is at least more socially aware than her mother. And we still have four episodes for her to resolve some of her issues. (That is the point of a story--for characters to grow and change.) I hope the daughter can help resolve issues with the grandpa; that's a plotline I started forgetting in all the other things happening. But Grandpa is a key figure who connects everyone, so we need to get that solved, too. 

Also I really like the music from this drama. I keep searching to see if anyone has transcribed it for piano, but no luck (at least, not the ones I'm looking for, especially Aalia's "About Loneliness.")

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I hope the daughter can help resolve issues with the grandpa; that's a plotline I started forgetting in all the other things happening. But Grandpa is a key figure who connects everyone, so we need to get that solved, too. 

I really like the scene with Eun Gyeol and Se Kyung`s biological father. He still doesn`t know who he is and he was an important figure in his life. Also, I want Eun Yoo to meet his grandfather and that will be good for both of them. She will meet a grandfather that she never met,  she will undertand better her mother and it will be good thing for her emotional life. Plus, the grandfather is clearly suffering that he is a stranger in the life of his daughter, he is longing for the conection. He has a change to meet his grand-daughter/ daughter even if it is just for a moment. Or maybe Eun Yoo will change her life or her mother`s life convincing the grandfather to meet his family earlier.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 3:55 AM, frozentundra said:

I keep searching to see if anyone has transcribed it for piano, but no luck (at least, not the ones I'm looking for, especially Aalia's "About Loneliness.")

Can you play piano? How niceI I hope you`ll find the sheet music for that song.

'Sparkling Watermelon' Choi Hyun-wook and Shin Eun-soo, viewers are also anxious about the relationship between two young people who go back and forth between hot and cold water! A subtle friendship that seems as if they will become closer!

462932_475564_3624.jpg

Choi Hyun-wook and Shin Eun-soo of tvN's Monday-Tuesday drama <Sparkling Watermelon>, the romance between two young people is doubled with sadness! Can the world of Choi Hyun-wook and Shin Eun-soo be connected again?

Choi Hyun-wook and Shin Eun-soo are maintaining a subtle distance, as if they are about to get closer, leaving viewers anxious.

In the tvN Monday-Tuesday drama 'Sparkling Watermelon' (written by Jin Soo-wan, directed by Son Jeong-hyeon, Yoo Beom-sang, planned by Studio Dragon, produced by Fan Entertainment), the relationship between youth Lee Chan (played by Choi Hyun-wook) and Cheong-ah (played by Shin Eun-soo) from 1995 begins on the festival stage. The rapid transition increases the sense of immersion.

Previously, Lee Chan and Cheongah were getting closer to each other through an ongoing relationship that seemed to be a coincidence. Lee Chan, who lives in a world of sound, conveyed his intentions to Cheong-ah, who lives in a world of silence, through her handwriting and gestures, melting Cheong-ah's cold, frozen heart.

Cheong-Ah felt that her own situation of not being able to hear her or speak her words was of no help to Lee-Chan. When Lee Chan got caught up in the gang and got injured, he felt miserable because he couldn't call 119 or call someone to help him.

However, when Lee Chan heard that Cheong-ah saved him, he showed his passion by studying sign language to express his sincere gratitude to her. On the day when the two of them were left alone in the practice room, Lee Chan expressed his gratitude to Cheong-ah using sign language that he was not good at but had practiced hard.

This became a decisive opportunity for Cheong-ah to open her mind to sign language, and as a result, the worlds of Lee Chan and Cheong-ah began to connect little by little.

As Cheong-Ah was recruited as a designer for Lee Chan's band 'First Love Memory Operation Group', their relationship took off. As if through telepathy, Lee Chan and Cheong Ah, who visited the bookstore at the same time to buy sign language books, ate snacks side by side and talked about band T-shirt designs.

Cheong-ah suggested the painting ‘Viva La Vida (Long Live Life)’ by Frida Kahlo, a painter she had always admired, and Lee Chan took a hint from this and changed the band’s name to ‘Watermelon Sugar’. In particular, the scene where Cheong-ah teaches Lee Chan ‘Long live life’ in sign language created a touching excitement.

Above the image of two people smiling together, facing each other, “One day, a very long time later, my father said to me. Eun-gyeol’s narration, “Thanks to the words she learned from her mother, she was able to survive her life,” doubled her despair. Meanwhile, a festival with Se-kyung's choice arrived, and Cheong-ah decided to give up her feelings for Lee-chan after hearing the metaphorical words, 'I will choose Lee-chan.'

Cheong-ah, who visited Lee Chan and gave him a final cheer with the pick she made herself, was saddened to see him swallow his sadness alone at a festival where everyone was having fun. Although the festival ended safely, Lee Chan was still mindful of the fact that Cheong-ah did not come to the performance. Se-kyung, or metaphor, also disappeared while watching the festival performance, but Lee Chan was only focused on Cheong-ah. He went to Cheong-ah's house to find her, who had not received any response to his fax, but all he got back was a cold refusal telling her not to come again.

Cheong-Ah poured out harsh words that were not even in her heart to sort out her feelings towards Lee Chan. The sign book, with its tattered corners, that Lee Chan took out of her pocket to conduct her conversation made Cheong-Ah cry. As Lee Chan reads the letter left by Cheong-ah, Cheong-ah ponders Lee Chan's confused face and looks lost in thought, making the relationship between the two young people even more curious.

Accordingly, people are looking forward to the 13th episode of tvN's Monday-Tuesday drama 'Twinkle Watermelon', which will be aired at 8:50 pm on the 6th (Monday), to see whether the relationship between Lee Chan and Cheong-ah, who have been living in a world of sound and silence, can be restored. .

http://www.rnx.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=462932#google_vignette

• Like 1