[Drama 2023-2024] Goryeo-Khitan War , 고려거란전쟁 -Choi Soo-Jong & Kim Dong Joon

larus

Ji Seung-hyun, first award in 18 years since debut, "thanks to General Yang-gyu's popularity"... bow ceremony [2023 KBS Drama Awards]

T2O4X57U2PMTFRPILIIP6Y5GQQ.jpg

‘2023 KBS Drama Awards’ Ji Seung-hyun celebrated his first award in 18 years with an arrow ceremony. On the 31st, the ‘2023 KBS Drama Awards’ was held at KBS Hall in Yeouido, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, hosted by Jang Seong-gyu, Rowoon, and Seol In-ah.

In the male popularity category, Rowoon (‘The Battle of the Wedding’), Ahn Jae-hyeon (‘The Real Thing Has Appeared!’), Lee Sang-yeop (‘Pure Boxer’), and Ji Seung-hyeon (‘Goryeo Khitan War’) were named.

Ji Seung-hyeon said, “This is my first time receiving an award like this in 18 years. I feel embarrassed because I feel like I received an award that I don't deserve. It seems like all of this is thanks to General Yang Gyu's popularity. He was embarrassed that he didn't know this person when he was offered the role. He is trying to express himself sincerely, but I think he is doing well in solving his homework because he is paying attention. I am happy to be able to work with my seniors. “Thank you for writing General Yang Gyu so well, and I will express the rest with sincerity,” he said.
In particular, Ji Seung-hyeon received great applause by recreating the image of General Yang Gyu shooting an arrow as depicted in the ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ poster.

‘Pure Boxer’ Lee Sang-yeop & ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ Ji Seung-hyeon win the Popularity Award! [2023 KBS Drama Awards] | Broadcast on KBS 231231

• Like 2

‘Goryeo Khitan War’ Choi Soo-jong and Kim Dong-jun win the Best Couple Award! [2023 KBS Drama Awards] | Broadcast on KBS 23123

Ji Seung-hyun, Ha Jun, and Baek Jin-hee won the Excellence in Acting Award in the feature-length drama category.

image_readtop_2024_69_17040372025774444.

Ji Seung-hyun said at the ‘2023 KBS Drama Awards’ awards ceremony that was broadcast live on the afternoon of the 31st, “I believe that a good society will be created if everyone plays their role well and does their best. As an actor, I will do my best to act. “I hope next year will be filled with only good things,” he said.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2024/01/69/

Ji Seung-hyeon of ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ won the male excellence award in the feature-length drama category! [2023 KBS Drama Awards] | Broadcast on KBS 231231

• Like 2

“I want to see the JeA members” Kim Dong-jun wins the male grand prize! [2023 KBS Drama Awards] | Broadcast on KBS 231231

[2023 KBS Drama Awards] Choi Soo-jong, sobbing at the 4th grand prize in 16 years... “Nothing was taken for granted”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDQ4rSG9Hk

https://news.nate.com/view/20240101n01104?mid=n0100

“Thank you to Ha Hee-ra” Soo-jong Choi, the recipient of tears for the first time in 16 years [KBS Drama Awards]

PS24010100029.jpg

Choi Soo-jong was named the grand prize winner at the ‘2023 KBS Drama Awards’ held at KBS Hall in Yeouido-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul on the 31st.

Choi Soo-jong is appearing as Kang Gam-chan in the KBS 2TV historical drama ‘Goryeo Khitan War’. ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ maintains a viewer rating of 9% (Nielsen Korea nationwide standard) and is cruising along in the popularity rankings on several OTT platforms. Viewers' favorable reviews of the work's quality are continuing. Accordingly, Soo-jong Choi has been considered a strong candidate for the grand prize even though his work has only aired 14 out of 32 episodes.

Previously, Soo-jong Choi had won the grand prize for ‘The Legend of Ambition’ in 1998, ‘Taejo Wang Geon’ in 2001, and ‘Dae Jo-yeong’ in 2007. For the ‘Goryeo Khitan War’, I held the grand prize trophy for the fourth time in 16 years.

Choi Soo-jong, who went up to the podium, cried after receiving the trophy and said, “Thank you.” He continued with a smile, saying, “Why are there so many mourning awards? This is my fourth time receiving this award,” and then added, “I confess that the time I have lived and the moments I have passed so far have been the grace of God, with nothing taken for granted. “I am grateful to Ha Hee-ra and her family who are looking at the screen and praying at this time,” he said.

Choi Soo-jong said, “The drama is not even halfway done yet. All the actors are giving passionate performances, and all the staff are not losing their smiles despite the difficult process. “I respect and love you,” he said, not forgetting to express his gratitude to the ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ team. Finally, he ended his acceptance speech by greeting viewers, saying, “I pray that in the new year, everything will come true as you believe, hope, and hope.”

Spoiler

PS24010100031.jpg

The grand prize winner, Choi Soo-jong, also received the Best Couple Award along with Kim Dong-jun, who is co-starring in ‘The Goryeo Khitan War.’

https://www.edaily.co.kr/news/read?newsId=01102086638753456&mediaCodeNo=258

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have been watching this drama and I love the sincerity, loyalty of General Yang Kyu and his ability to rally the troops even when it seemed defeat was inevitable. He was asked why he fought the war and his answer "to end the war, so there will be no more wars". I can't wait to see the meeting of Khitan and Goryeo army at the Kwijo Gorge and how that outcome might finally end the conflict between Khitan and Goryeo and how the young Goryeo King will regain his empire, and direct his rule towards recovery and progress in peace. It is the same with General Xiao of the Khitan army, he knew that they were deep in the Goryeo lands and yet there was no Goryeo king who will surrender and pay homage, therefore the Khitan king may have gained an entry to Goryeo but he has not won. General Xiao knew that to engage Goryeo army in a guerilla warfare in their own territory, was giving advantage to the the Goryeo army who knew the map of the land. I am hoping we shall soon see that fight at the Kwijo Gorge. I am shipping General Yang Kyu and his men at arms but I hope that General Xiao will survive. He is a wise general who also loved his own country and does what he can to save his foolish and prideful king who knew that turning back to Khitan without the surrender of the Goryeo king, is like a dog returning with his tail between his legs. The one other favorite character of mine is of course General Gang Gam Chan a courtier, humble wise and sincerely worked as a government official to be of service. Many times he sacrificed himself to save his king and country. Even General Xiao of the Khitan army knew and respected him, for both were working for the peace, of their own countries. I thank General Xiao for saving the life of Gang Gam Chan. Will that fight at the Gorge be shown soon??

Of course, not forgotten is the young King Hyeonjong who was forced to travel deep into the country side to avoid capture from the Khitans and therefore was able to familiarize himself with the simple country folks who sincerely wanted to serve him but the greedy officials took advantage of their titles to mooch on the country people. The war gave King Hyeonjong the opportunity to know his people and for the people to get to know their king. This war made the king a wiser ruler.

• Like 3

Choi Soo-jong and Kim Dong-jun cry at the Best Couple award? When I heard the reason, I burst into laughter (KBS Drama Awards)

246601_260921_2639.png

'Goryeo Khitan War' Kim Dong-jun and Choi Soo-jong, who won the Best Couple Award, suddenly shed tears and made people laugh.

'2023 KBS Drama Awards' Best Couple Award goes to 'Oasis' Jang Dong-yoon and Seol In-ah, 'The real one has appeared!' Ahn Jae-hyun and Baek Jin-hee, Ha Jun and Yui from 'Hyosim, Each Life', Rowoon and Jo Yi-hyun from 'Wedding Battle', and Kim Dong-jun and Choi Soo-jong from 'Goryeo Khitan War' won.

However, when the couple Kim Dong-jun and Choi Soo-jong went on stage, Choi Soo-jong shed tears. Kim Dong-jun asked Choi Soo-jong, "Why are you so tearful?" Choi Soo-jong said, "I thought Dong-jun and Sia would win the Best Couple award. But why did you... why do you put such a heavy burden on me..." could not connect.

Then, when MC Jang Seong-gyu asked about the meaning of tears, Choi Soo-jong added, "Amazing tears," causing laughter.

Kim Dong-jun continued the cheerful atmosphere by exchanging affectionate words, saying, “I am so satisfied. I love you, father.”

https://www.mhnse.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=246601

They are ordering an advance to the south, and Ji Seung-hyeon is preparing for their return! | KBS Broadcasting

• Love 2

by lo_ve, January 4, 2024
5 85

The special cameo appearance of actor Kang Kyung Joon's son will be minimized on the ongoing KBS K-drama Korea-Khitan War.

On January 4,  media outlet Star News revealed that the production team of the KBS 2TV K-drama Korea-Khitan War decided to minimize the number of appearances of Kang Kyung Joon's son in the series. The son participated in the filming last December as part of the extra. The scene is scheduled to be broadcast this month. 

According to reports, Kang Kyung Joon and his son visited the set of Korea-Khitan War last month. The two toured the open set of the series in Mungyeong, North Gyeongsang Province. His son is an aspiring actor so Kang Kyung Joon decided to show him the happenings in a drama. Their visit to the set was revealed in the December 26 episode of The Return of Superman. Because of their visit, Kang Kyung Joon's son participated in the series as an extra. As a result, many are anticipating the son's cameo appearance. 

QJNgA7_2f.jpg

Actor Kang Kyung Joon is currently involved in a lawsuit for having an affair with a married woman. 

It was reported on January 3 that Kang Kyung Joon was allegedly in an affair with a married woman. The husband sued Kang Kyung Joon and claimed to have evidence that the actor knew that she was a married woman. Kang Kyung Joon is currently facing 50 million won in damages. 

Kang Kyung Joon's agency then confirmed that he received the complaint on January 3. 

Meanwhile, many are curious about what will happen to the activities of the actor in the future. Kang Kyung Joon is currently appearing in The Return of Superman. The production revealed that the actor has no filming schedules for now. They also stated that they would discuss the future filming after the case was completely resolved. 

Kang Kyung Joon is currently married to Jang Shin Young and they have two sons. 

https://mydramalist.com/article/kbs-k-drama-korea-khitan-war-to-minimize-the-appearance-of-actor-kang-kyung-joon-s-son

Here are the ratings for Episode 15! :).

“The Story Of Park’s Marriage Contract” Ends On No. 1 Ratings

“The Story Of Park’s Marriage Contract” Ends On No. 1 Ratings

KBS 2TV’s “Korea-Khitan War” soared to a new all-time high in viewership with its latest episode, which earned an average nationwide rating of 10.2 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1635611wpp/the-story-of-parks-marriage-contract-ends-on-no-1-ratings

• Like 1

This KBS's 50th Anniversary Drama Special is indeed going from strength to strength, with 7 awards won last week at the KBS Drama Awards 2023, despite only airing up to Episode 14. 

Choi Soo Jung, Kim Dong Jun, and Ji Seung Hyun all won the acting awards, Couple Award, and Popularity Award! 

There was even 2 presenters who wore the Khitan Emperor & General attires to present the awards much to the audience's liking and applause. That shows how popular this show is now.

The rating makes it an icing on the cake, starting strong and now climbing past 10% to reach its highest rating at 10.2% so far in Episode 15. Tonight's episode marks the halfway point - can this go even better to beat "The King of Tears - Lee Bang Won"'s 11.7%?

• Like 1

The Korean Khitan war episode 16 is the most emotional of all the episodes. I cried for the Empress losing her baby and all the soldiers who helped their country men and women from the Khitans and fought till their death for the freedom of their country and people.

Here are the ratings for Episode 17! :).

“Knight Flower” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode + “Welcome To Samdalri” Earns Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

“Knight Flower” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode + “Welcome To Samdalri” Earns Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

KBS 2TV’s “Korea-Khitan War” took first place in its time slot with an average nationwide rating of 9.8 percent

https://www.soompi.com/article/1637125wpp/knight-flower-ratings-rise-for-2nd-episode-welcome-to-samdalri-earns-its-highest-saturday-ratings-yet

Goryeo/Khitan war: The Emperor at the advise of the provincial governor who moved to the capital to be a member of Royal Court removed Minister Kang from the royal court. It is the same provincial official whose daughter is wooing the "favor" of the king. In the last episode, she planned a seemingly "random or spontaneous" meeting with the emperor on his way to the palace from meeting and praying with the provincial governors whose families died in the war at a town Buddhist temple. The emperor refused to listen to the faithful mentor Minister Kang who sacrificed his life almost dying to save his country and emperor. The emperor wants to unify his people, his country and assign honest government officials. His mentor the longtime court officer Minister Kang advised him that he agrees with the plans of the emperor but the country is still at war, that for the emperor successfully implement his plans the country has to be in peace first. The Khitan's are still on their borders harassing and planning, wanting to conquer Goryeo. The question now is how the empress, a direct descendant of Emperor Taejo, the founding father of the empire will react? Will the empress support her husband or the faithful minister Kang who is and has been a faithful and staunch supporter of the court? And the Empress took the side of the courtiers against the emperor. She advised an elder court officer to let KGN be the bearer of bad news that the new favored and close adviser to the emperor broke the law and needs to be punished. It was against the law to exempt male relatives or relatives of officials from being conscripted into the army and the proof was presented at court the new adviser to the emperor exempted 30 of the male relatives of chiefs and officials from his county from conscription to the army. The emperor takes the side of the deserters during a war and the Minister who exempted relatives and friends from conscription. What kind of emperor is he? The drama should have ended at the death of General Kang.

Here are the ratings for Episode 18! :).

“Live Your Own Life” Ratings Soar Past 20 Percent + “Welcome To Samdalri” Breaks Into Double Digits

“Live Your Own Life” Ratings Soar Past 20 Percent + “Welcome To Samdalri” Breaks Into Double Digits

KBS 2TV’s “Korea-Khitan War,” which airs in the same time slot as “Maestra: Strings of Truth,” rose to an average nationwide rating of 10.0 percent for its latest episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1637289wpp/live-your-own-life-ratings-soar-past-20-percent-welcome-to-samdalri-breaks-into-double-digits

by Lily Alice, January 18, 2024
0 4

The author of "Goryeo-Khitan War: Sweet Rain in The Winter", the novel from which KBS 2TV's historical drama Korea-Khitan War is adapted, Gil Seung Soo, expressed his dissatisfaction with the way the K-drama unfolded after episode 16. He says that the show deviates not only from the novel but also from historical facts. 

Recently, Gil posted an article on his blog titled "Post-Episode 16: The Story After General Yang Gyu's Death" discussing the content of episodes 17 and 18 of the KBS drama Korea-Khitan War, which aired on January 13 and 14, respectively. 

Writer Gil Seung Soo stated, "Of course, Hyeonjong's [played by Kim Dong Jun] falling from a horse depicted in episode 18 of KBS2's Korea-Khitan War is not part of the original story" and added, "I believe that he [the scriptwriter] should have thoroughly grasped historical facts, sought ample advice, and then written the script, but it seems that he lacked understanding. After the scriptwriter was replaced, they did not consult me except for battle scenes, so I am not aware of what happened behind the scenes."

Continuing, he said, "It seems that the scriptwriter is deliberately trying to deviate from the original work and write their own piece. By trying to deviate from the original work, they seem to be deviating from the historical context within it. I find it hard to believe that such a person is writing a historical drama for the public broadcaster KBS."

Regarding King Hyeonjong falling from the horse, he remarked, "I properly explained Hyunjong's character to the production team, but in the end, the scriptwriter used it however he wanted, and it has led to this disappointment. They are making a fool out of someone who can be considered the most brilliant military commander in Korean history."

The writer also said that he hopes the drama will soon get back on track.

In episode 18 of Korea-Khitan War, which aired on January 14, King Hyeonjong of Goryeo dismissed Gang Gam Chan (Choi Soo Jong), who opposed his reforms. After Gang Gam Chan appealed for the impeachment of Kim Eun Bu (Jo Seung Yun), Hyeonjong, angered, visited him and told him to leave Gaegyeong (the capital city of Goryeo). Hyeonjong was shown riding a horse and falling from it while trying to avoid a cart that blocked his path. 

vXdDdZ_2f.png

After watching this, some people started criticizing the drama for the way it portrayed King Hyeonjong and for the historical accuracy of the context.

Korea-Khitan War is available to stream on Viki, Netflix, and Kocowa.

https://mydramalist.com/article/writer-gil-expresses-disappointment-with-the-progression-of-korea-khitan-war-after-episode-16

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 19! :).

In spite of the stiff competition from AFC Asian Cup coverage, KBS 2TV’s “Korea-Khitan War” remained first place in its time slot with an average nationwide rating of 9.5 percent

https://www.soompi.com/article/1637289wpp/live-your-own-life-ratings-soar-past-20-percent-welcome-to-samdalri-breaks-into-double-digits

'Goryeo Khitan War' Episode 19 Hyeonjong is extremely angry at the atrocities of Empress Wonjeong... ‘Wonseong Marriage’ Blue Preview

2D464KXYEO_1.jpg

In the 19th episode of KBS 2TV's epic drama 'Goryeo Khitan War', a special project for the 50th anniversary of the public broadcasting broadcast on the 20th, Hyeonjong (Kim Dong-jun), who safely regained consciousness, married Won-seong (Ha Seung-ri), the daughter of Kim Eun-bu (Cho Seung-yeon), amid opposition from his subjects. He announced that he would form a relationship and predicted trouble. Despite being broadcast at the same time as the 2023 AFC Qatar Asian Cup match between Korea and Jordan, episode 18 recorded a viewership rating of 7.9% (provided by Nielsen Korea, nationwide), ranking first among weekend dramas broadcast at the same time. In particular, the scene where Empress Wonjeong (Lee Sia) joins forces with Eugene (Cho Hee-bong) to send out the subjects who followed King Hyeonjong's wishes out of Gaegyeong instantly soared to the highest viewership rating of 9.5% (nationwide).

On this day, Empress Wonjeong, who had joined forces with Eugene to oust Kim Eun-bu, shed tears and blamed herself as Hyeonjong was placed in a life-or-death situation. However, she suddenly changed when she heard the news that the emperor had passed a major crisis, and she conspired with Yu Jin to organize everything before Hyeonjong woke up. First, the expedition expelled Chae Chung-sun (Han Seung-hyeon) and Choi Sa-wi (Park Yu-seung), who followed King Hyeonjong, out of Gaegyeong under the pretext of preparing for the Khitan invasion. Moreover, Wonjeong decided to reveal Kim Eunbu's crimes in detail in front of her subjects.

Wonjeong, who occupied Suchang Palace on behalf of the emperor, took Kim Eun-bu away and began interrogation, saying that he would strictly investigate whether he was guilty or not. Kim Eun-bu acknowledged the fact that 31 sons of Gongju's military commanders and their relatives were excluded from requisition, and confessed, "Instead of turning a blind eye to one, I wanted to gain heat." Eugene pushed Kim Eun-bu to the edge of the cliff, using the captains of the princess who had been transported there. Gongju's captains created a tense atmosphere by falsely confessing that Kim Eun-bu had demanded payment for his son in exchange for his son being exempted from conscription.

more

https://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/2D464KXYEO

Here are the ratings for Episode 20! :).

“Welcome To Samdalri” Ends On Highest Ratings Of Its Run; “My Happy Ending” And “Live Your Own Life” Hit New All-Time Highs

“Welcome To Samdalri” Ends On Highest Ratings Of Its Run; “My Happy Ending” And “Live Your Own Life” Hit New All-Time Highs

Finally, KBS 2TV’s “Korea-Khitan War” returned to the double digits with an average nationwide rating of 10.1 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1638477wpp/welcome-to-samdalri-ends-on-highest-ratings-of-its-run-my-happy-ending-and-live-your-own-life-hit-new-all-time-highs

Sharp remarks by the author of the original ‘Goryeo Khitan War’… “KBS’ explanation is not even funny”

20240123516687.jpg

While the production team of the KBS epic drama ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ explained the development of the story differently from the original novel, the original writer criticized the production team again.

On the January23rd, Gil Seung-su, author of the novel ‘Goryeo Khitan War’, posted on his Instagram, “KBS published an explanatory report. “He’s not even funny,” he said, adding, “Producer Jeon Woo-sung first revealed the internal progress, so I will also reveal it.”
He continued, “When I first participated in June 2022, it clearly showed a different direction from my novel. That direction was ‘a story in which Empress Dowager Tianqiu becomes the main villain, confronts Emperor Xuanzong, and invites the Khitan invasion.’”
He also said, “I was surprised and said, ‘There is also a KBS drama ‘Empress Cheonchu,’ and if history is distorted like that, it could lead to the ‘Joseon Exorcism.’” survived. “Through Queen Wonwon,” he emphasized.
The production team of ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ signed a contract to acquire and consult on the copyright to writer Seung-su Gil’s novel ‘Biography of the Goryeo Khitan’ in the first half of 2022, and referenced the details of the drama’s war and battle scenes from the novel.
On this day, the ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ side explained, “Writer Lee Jeong-woo, who joined the drama in the second half of that year, did not fit the direction of the novel, so we presented a completely new story.”
Afterwards, the production team formed a new advisory team led by Dr. Kyeong-ran Cho, who has extensive experience consulting on dramas.
The production team of ‘Goryeo Khitan War’ said, “Please look forward to what kind of leadership Hyunjong will use to unite Goryeo with his political mentor Kang Gam-chan.” They added, “Until the Battle of Guizhou, the foreign policies of Goryeo and Khitan and the conflicts and confrontations between the characters surrounding them. “We will include it in a variety of ways, so please look forward to it and support us.”
Meanwhile, viewers recently expressed dissatisfaction with the excessive development in the drama and pointed out that it was different from the original novel.

In response, writer Gil Seung-soo criticized, “The script writer is taking unreasonable measures,” “I hope he comes to his senses now and the script flows according to history,” and “The script writer ended up writing this as he wanted.”