[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] One And Only (aka Chang An Memories) 周身如故

SC2019

11 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Regarding the last 2 episodes of capturing of our prince and the how easy he was "gave up" his life, here is my 2 cents :

Firstly, we need to understand that ZSC is a general. That duties and loyalty come first. He sole purpose, like any other soldiers, is to protect the land and fight for people. (This mentality still apply today actually) Is he fighting blindly? YES. To the normal person's eyes. But to a soldier like him, he is fighting for the people and state. For him, every decision that he makes to fight or sacrify is directly linked to how much hazarding his people will face and how long the state will behold. So I believe all of his decisions are strongly based on those only, not Shiyi or himself.. He allowed the dog prince and the rebel Army to capture him easily because he believed that the sacrifice will be more or less himself only and not the people. If he has sacrificed himself, he knew the innocent people will not have to run for the war between Royal Army and rebel Army. The state will not fall yet as there will still be an offspring of the current dynasty to carry on. Hence he let himself go.

Then there is this burning question, why he did not take the throne and keep putting those children or useless prince to be in it? Is he not care at all? His lack of ambition, I will attribute to the traditions, the setting of the story and psychological trauma of ZSC. We are looking at the drama based in ancient China. Period. This alone can cover why ZXC is madly royal to oath and the emperors.

Also, I think he is very much wounded psychologically. His most loved brother, the late emperor, threw him out and suspected him of treason for something he did out of goodwill - ZXC tried to find Gao Family's( or The empress's Family) sins. His act of defiance led him to be as lonely as ever and as misunderstood as ever. At the age of 13. This was a big lesson for him - Control his emotions, respect the throne and keep himself out of the palace matters. Only then, he is respecting his brother and gaining his trust. He really loved his brother and wanted his trust. No matter how accomplished he is, or how the time passed, this crushed self ran along with him. That is his imperfection. The imperfection, together with his royalty, led him to his downfall. 

When ZXC was tied and ready to get killed, RJL acted as if there is no emotion left of him. Only when he is thinking about Shiyi, then he faintly smiled. Otherwise, blank. ZXC, from my understanding, might have drained himself out completely. He bared too much for this life. For his life, the death, though painful, was a relief of his troubled world. He was ready to move on (to next life).

What is extremely tragic though, it is the way they killed him. If they have killed him with a single strike, it would have been less impactful. But the way they did to him, it raised so many red flags. He may not have moved on to his next life peacefully like he wanted (based on traditional Chinese beliefs). His glory forgotten completely.  His name marked with untruth. His beautiful bones, totally destroyed. Tragic indeed.

Yes, indeed his death was a tragic one... Thank u for your thoughts on his psychology side, that's his mental wounds and his imperfection. 

‘One and Only 周生如故‘ finishes its run on September 8 (for members) and September 17 (for non-members).  If the sequel ‘Forever and Ever 一生一世’ starts on September 9 (not official yet), then is it only for members?

@SC2019Please change the Chinese title to “(周生如故) Zhou Sheng Ru Gu’.  The old title was ‘(长安如故) Chang An Memories‘.
https://www.cdramalove.com/one-and-only-chinese-drama/

18 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Regarding the last 2 episodes of capturing of our prince and the how easy he was "gave up" his life, here is my 2 cents :

Firstly, we need to understand that ZSC is a general. That duties and loyalty come first. He sole purpose, like any other soldiers, is to protect the land and fight for people. (This mentality still apply today actually) Is he fighting blindly? YES. To the normal person's eyes. But to a soldier like him, he is fighting for the people and state. For him, every decision that he makes to fight or sacrify is directly linked to how much hazarding his people will face and how long the state will behold. So I believe all of his decisions are strongly based on those only, not Shiyi or himself.. He allowed the dog prince and the rebel Army to capture him easily because he believed that the sacrifice will be more or less himself only and not the people. If he has sacrificed himself, he knew the innocent people will not have to run for the war between Royal Army and rebel Army. The state will not fall yet as there will still be an offspring of the current dynasty to carry on. Hence he let himself go.

Then there is this burning question, why he did not take the throne and keep putting those children or useless prince to be in it? Is he not care at all? His lack of ambition, I will attribute to the traditions, the setting of the story and psychological trauma of ZSC. We are looking at the drama based in ancient China. Period. This alone can cover why ZXC is madly royal to oath and the emperors.

Also, I think he is very much wounded psychologically. His most loved brother, the late emperor, threw him out and suspected him of treason for something he did out of goodwill - ZXC tried to find Gao Family's( or The empress's Family) sins. His act of defiance led him to be as lonely as ever and as misunderstood as ever. At the age of 13. This was a big lesson for him - Control his emotions, respect the throne and keep himself out of the palace matters. Only then, he is respecting his brother and gaining his trust. He really loved his brother and wanted his trust. No matter how accomplished he is, or how the time passed, this crushed self ran along with him. That is his imperfection. The imperfection, together with his royalty, led him to his downfall. 

When ZXC was tied and ready to get killed, RJL acted as if there is no emotion left of him. Only when he is thinking about Shiyi, then he faintly smiled. Otherwise, blank. ZXC, from my understanding, might have drained himself out completely. He bared too much for this life. For his life, the death, though painful, was a relief of his troubled world. He was ready to move on (to next life).

What is extremely tragic though, it is the way they killed him. If they have killed him with a single strike, it would have been less impactful. But the way they did to him, it raised so many red flags. He may not have moved on to his next life peacefully like he wanted (based on traditional Chinese beliefs). His glory forgotten completely.  His name marked with untruth. His beautiful bones, totally destroyed. Tragic indeed.

Nice analysis. I’ll add on with my 2 cents:

1 - they used a child to force him to give up. Now, no one ask patriotic as he would let a child die for his safety. Look at all the great generals and kings, they would try to save the people because that’s the brick to your wall.

2 - they then killing off the high ranking officers in front of him. These are all 60yo+ men, who not only have the power, the knowledge but also know what needed to be done to run the country, especially when the country is being led by a child! Or someone who isn’t trained to take the throne position. Can’t have too many die or you might as well just throw in the table and say I’m done xD

3 - with him being captured, they don’t feel the need to hunt down the child king. A child king is just a child if he doesn’t have a strong backing, ZSC is the strongest backing anyone can ask for.

4 - all the people that die in front of him are his family. In the book, you can see ZSC is a person that value family above all else. When you start to not acknowledge this family bond and act against that bond, it’s when he strikes. This perhaps the difference between the modern ZSC and the period ZSC. (Period ZSC as Ma OO said wounded psychologically).

so no, I don’t think it was flimsy writing. To him, one him trading for a few more years of the people don’t have to go through war is better than being on the throne. (Because let’s face it, who’s here can guarantee life will be peachy if he’s the king xD)

• Like 4

@Alila N You expressed my thoughts exactly.  

His expression when he decided to surrender said everything.  Although the Nanchen reinforcements had arrived to rescue him, he would not allow Jin Rong to slaughter the child emperor and others locked up in the banquet hall to save himself.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:48 PM, ElleSor said:

Yes, I do agree that the new emperor acted pretty well in the last few episodes. 

@Anabea And so true....looked like a huge plot hole how ZSC , an ever-victorious general, was captured so easily but then, it was never mentioned in the novel how he was captured. It just said CSY was used as bait so he will come. 

Its so true

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, tantaran808 said:

@Alila N You expressed my thoughts exactly.  

His expression when he decided to surrender said everything.  Although the Nanchen reinforcements had arrived to rescue him, he would not allow Jin Rong to slaughter the child emperor and others locked up in the banquet hall to save himself.

i would be happier if ZSC decide not to give in. and give up supporting the child emperor . think about it, he is more than capable to overthrow and claim the throne himself. if he is the king, we all will be happy cos he can dictate his queen to be shiyi.

just wishful thinking.. this show meant to make all of us shed buckets of tears 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, taekwang said:

i would be happier if ZSC decide not to give in. and give up supporting the child emperor . think about it, he is more than capable to overthrow and claim the throne himself. if he is the king, we all will be happy cos he can dictate his queen to be shiyi.

just wishful thinking.. this show meant to make all of us shed buckets of tears 

Uhm, in history, many great generals let themselves be killed than going for the throne :/ example is Gao ChangGong, he drank the poisonous wine because the king said so. Apparently ZSC is based on a true historical figure, who got framed just the same. And even in Bai Lu and Allen’s interview, they both think if he riot, it’s against his character, destroy the character completely if you would go that route. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alila N said:

Uhm, in history, many great generals let themselves be killed than going for the throne :/ example is Gao ChangGong, he drank the poisonous wine because the king said so. Apparently ZSC is based on a true historical figure, who got framed just the same. And even in Bai Lu and Allen’s interview, they both think if he riot, it’s against his character, destroy the character completely if you would go that route. 

Yup its based on historycal image, so they couldnt change it... 

@Alila N Thanks for the historical reference to General Gao Chang Gong.  I read his Wikipedia biography and his life was very similar to ZSC, except he had a wife.

Very interesting that a court dance performed at the Ikutsushima Shrine in Japan is about him.  It shows the strong influence of the Tang Dynasty in Japan.

18 hours ago, tantaran808 said:

@Alila N Thanks for the historical reference to General Gao Chang Gong.  I read his Wikipedia biography and his life was very similar to ZSC, except he had a wife.

Very interesting that a court dance performed at the Ikutsushima Shrine in Japan is about him.  It shows the strong influence of the Tang Dynasty in Japan.

It’s not based on Gao ChangGong btw, I just used it as an example. Someone on my drama list found the name but his page is in Chinese, none in english. GCG is indeed well known :) should watch prince of lanling with FSF, that series was good

Feels odd revisiting the opening episodes. That montage of the female lead paying her twice-daily respects (for lack of a better term). The look on the male lead's face each and every time. What used to be funny, happy moments have now become bittersweet for me.

I wonder if this wistful tinge of sadness will carry over into Forever and Ever. Or perhaps it'll feel like an entirely different story.

This was an enjoyable show for me. Candies and knives, as they say colloquially, both in abundance. From the tender to the tragic. Closing with both of them dying made for a powerful ending. 虐 beyond measure.

• Like 3

I purposely waited for the Modern version to be released before starting this otherwise i think i cannot move on.

i’ve never watched any of Allen’s shows before and I couldn’t quite understand why he keeps getting big roles when he doesn’t have the super good looks but after watching 2 eps of this show, I can understand. He is a really good actor.

bai Lu I’ve only watched her in the Legends before and it was average ish. I also like her a lot in this show right now. I prefer her gentle, little sister innocence than her previously strong characters. 

ok preparing tissues for this journey.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1

I think both stories can stand alone without the other... but both also complement each other very well.

I really love knowing that they got another shot at happiness in the modern times. 

I was so excited for the modern part, mostly, because my heart shattered in the ancient part.  

• Like 2