[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] One And Only (aka Chang An Memories) 周身如故

SC2019

I HATE THIS DRAMA.:criesariver:

I have read these chapters from translations numerous times. Imagined in my head numerous of times yet I still cannot help but cry for them. In my life, after watching countless of dramas, it never occurred to me that I will:

1.  Wish the drama ends without conclusion because the ending is painful and the remaining 10 episodes are the torture of our OTP.
  2. Wish for more chess scenes, I can just repeat that scene in loops
  3.  Wish that somebody kidnap this OTP and make them live in jungle.                                                                
Why is it that every scenes scream PAIN? Can tell me why? I am quite sure I read those parts and seen a lot of time in my head but it just:crybaby:

Ren Jialun and Bailu..I am deeply in love with their chapters. 
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Hi All,

There’s two forums going on on the same drama, so I’ll try and post on both.

I am also a Ren Jialun/Allen fan and have watched all his dramas that are available with English subs.  I am watching this drama with this kind of filter, so, of course, I am enjoying it.

But based on his past dramas, I feel that he is moving to more mature and complex roles with high quality screenwriters.   As a result he needs an experienced FL with the ability to portray a young naive disciple developing into a young woman (the book says 16 year old).   I think Bailu is doing that well.  

Ren Jialun looks older as he should be, after all he’s a seasoned general of and uncle to the emperor.  Yet he has moments of humanity - jealousy, embarrassment, and can playfully tease Shiyi at will.

Having read the translated novel by hoju, the author reveals their romantic relationship slowly.  It should be savored like coffee in the little details that shows he loves her.  His final sacrifice proves it.  Although they will not have a happy ending in this drama, they will make up for it in the modern part. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] One And Only (aka Chang An Memories) 长安如故

Already watch this, despite the tragic death of the ML ( which i hate it so much), followed by FL suicide act, must say both actors did a great job. I could feel their longing, sadness, love, care n passion towards each other. Gladly didnt live centuries ago. Superb acting... My two thumbs up for them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For Bai ZLY’s fan, this is a must watch. For not yet an Allen’s fan, this is a must watch. Bai Lu’s acting in the last 2 episodes are so good, as a matter of fact, every cast members did a superb job, special mention is ShiYi’s mother, and the funny, adorable acting from the “fat” general, and the librarian dude.

I cried so much, but I did not regret watching it. Now I’m a bit worry that forever and ever will not be able to hold the candle to this lol xD

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What a sad ending.. Yes, it was expected since early on. I'm crying.. 

ZC was killed on episode 23, and later follow by Shiyi jump off on the final. At least the country is finally safe but with a lot of dying here and there. ZC destiny has been written from he was young that he will not getting what he deserve. Its a tragedy. Very painful to watch the letter half of the series til the end. 

Lets move on to next chapter of their life. Forever and ever. The novel translation is written beautifully. I can feel the love between them. Both carry their names to the next life and its a wonderful one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I love the Chinese novel. Thanks to the beautiful English translation i was able to enjoy reading it!  Zhoushen Chen never had a face when I was reading the novel. I can't say that now, Allen Ren became Zhoushen Chen. I can see the maturity in Allen's acting. Cheers to Allen Ren. Good job!

Did you recognize some actors from previous Ren Jialun dramas?

I remember Shiyi’s cousin Cui Feng was Lu Yi’s rival Xie Xiao and Huan Yu the librarian was Lan Q the Taoist priest in Under the Power (UTP).  Huaiyang was Jinxia’s aunt and doctor in UTP. 

ZSC’s lady general who was killed was Linda in Never Say Goodbye and a HR chief in Mrs. Crow with Mr. Lizard.

Am I correct? Did I miss anyone?

I finished episode 24.  :sad1: Teary eyed and sniffling.  Bailu was superb in showing her grief, not over done, imo.  Ren Jialun is a perfect iconic tragic hero.  The only time I have been this emotional is in the last episode of Glory of Tang Dynasty (which I watched even without English subs) with Ren Jialun again.   IMO, he is memorable in crying scenes.

I like how the importance of tea to Shiyi, the seductive songs of Wu, her lotus painting, the library, writing on the wall, are all elements that carry over to their modern lives.  We’ll see if it shows up in Forever and Ever.

I think I’ll go back and read the translated novel by hoju of “Beautiful Bones” to bring back the joy of Shiyi and Zhousheng Chen’s love.

I need to fill up the time before the second modern part starts Sept 9, hopefully.

• Like 2

What a tragic end   :criesariver:   Hope all the characters will reappear in the upcoming modern version. I hope the monk and General Feng will have a love line, Cui Feng and General Hong will have a happy ending, and also Liu Zi Xing with Princess Xin Hua. 

Agree with @Alila N Bailu’s acting was impressive, especially in episode 16 (bidding farewell to ZSC and leaving Xi Zhou after being once again!!! bethrothed to Crown Prince) and end part of episode 23 (told of ZSC’s death by her Mother). 

I always confused her with Li Qin, but after watching this drama, I think I can now tell them apart :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2

I am only up to episode 11. I have read the novel and I think both leads have done their character justice.

I love how ZSC teases Shiyi, and the many quiet moments they share. I am bracing my self for the heartbreak. I wish second season is out already, so I don't have to wallow in sadness. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I am only up to episode 11. I have read the novel and I think both leads have done their character justice.

I love how ZSC teases Shiyi, and the many quiet moments they share. I am bracing my self for the heartbreak. I wish second season is out already, so I don't have to wallow in sadness. 

I am reading the novel again. I read it a few years back so I have forgotten some details. 

You would not believe how many times I have paused several scenes in the last episode...forwarded the scene and rewind it again and again. 

I never gave much thought to the female lead's acting but she really did so well here. I felt it!! I felt her heartache, her heartbreak and her longing. 

The male lead is characterized as aloof so I couldn't really praise him much. I will await the modern version. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ren Jialun’s emotions as Zhousheng Chen were subtle but his look of happiness, sorrow, longing, and anger were perfect for his role as a prince/general.  Bailu’s acting was heart-wrenching.  Even the cruel Regent/Emperor Liu Zixing was impressive. 

The actors, plot, sets, and costumes made this drama truly memorable. 

• Like 1

Above all i hate that coward prince, the capture of ZC is not well plot and written i think, it was too easy for a well trained general like him who had an unbeattable war record. Goshhhh.... I need the HE at the modern world ASAP

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Anabea said:

Above all i hate that coward prince, the capture of ZC is not well plot and written i think, it was too easy for a well trained general like him who had an unbeattable war record. Goshhhh.... I need the HE at the modern world ASAP

Yeah, this is the one plot point that was really kind of iffy...it's also kind of unsatisfying that he died as a prisoner after barely putting up any resistance. At least let him go out in a blaze of glory on the battlefield, right?

Overall, though, the drama was excellent and I am thoroughly looking forward to the next season. :blush:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, clawedzip said:

Yeah, this is the one plot point that was really kind of iffy...it's also kind of unsatisfying that he died as a prisoner after barely putting up any resistance. At least let him go out in a blaze of glory on the battlefield, right?

Overall, though, the drama was excellent and I am thoroughly looking forward to the next season. :blush:

Yup its true, seems it's being rushed to end it. I know in the novel, Shiyi only remembers through her dreams about her past life...but it could be written better for the betrayel plot to capture Nancheng King.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tantaran808 said:

Ren Jialun’s emotions as Zhousheng Chen were subtle but his look of happiness, sorrow, longing, and anger were perfect for his role as a prince/general.  Bailu’s acting was heart-wrenching.  Even the cruel Regent/Emperor Liu Zixing was impressive. 

The actors, plot, sets, and costumes made this drama truly memorable. 

Yes, I do agree that the new emperor acted pretty well in the last few episodes. 

@Anabea And so true....looked like a huge plot hole how ZSC , an ever-victorious general, was captured so easily but then, it was never mentioned in the novel how he was captured. It just said CSY was used as bait so he will come. 

• Like 2

Regarding the last 2 episodes of capturing of our prince and  how easy he had "gave up" his life, here is my 2 cents :

Firstly, we need to understand that ZSC is a general. That duties and loyalty come first. He sole purpose, like any other soldiers, is to protect the land and fight for people. (This mentality still apply today actually) Is he fighting blindly? YES. To the normal person's eyes. But to a soldier like him, he is fighting for the people and state. For him, every decision that he makes to fight or sacrify is directly linked to how much hazarding his people will face and how long the state will behold. So I believe all of his decisions are strongly based on those only, not Shiyi or himself.. He allowed the dog prince and the rebel Army to capture him easily because he believed that the sacrifice will be more or less himself only and not the people. If he has sacrificed himself, he knew the innocent people will not have to run for the war between Royal Army and rebel Army. The state will not fall yet as there will still be an offspring of the current dynasty to carry on. Hence he let himself go.

Then there is this burning question, why he did not take the throne and keep putting those children or useless prince to be in it? Is he not care at all? His lack of ambition, I will attribute to the traditions, the setting of the story and psychological trauma of ZSC. We are looking at the drama based in ancient China. Period. This alone can cover why ZXC is madly loyal to oath and the emperors.

Also, I think he is very much wounded psychologically. His most loved brother, the late emperor, threw him out and suspected him of treason for something he did out of goodwill - ZXC tried to find Gao Family's( or The empress's Family) sins. His act of defiance led him to be as lonely as ever and as misunderstood as ever. At the age of 13. This was a big lesson for him - Control his emotions, respect the throne and keep himself out of the palace matters. Only then, he is respecting his brother and gaining his trust. He really loved his brother and wanted his trust. No matter how accomplished he is, or how the time passed, this crushed self ran along with him. That is his imperfection. The imperfection, together with his loyalty, led him to his downfall. 

When ZXC was tied and ready to get killed, RJL acted as if there is no emotion left of him. Only when he is thinking about Shiyi, then he faintly smiled. Otherwise, blank. ZXC, from my understanding, might have drained himself out completely. He beared too much for this life. For his life, the death, though painful, was a relief of his troubled world. He was ready to move on (to next life).

What is extremely tragic though, it is the way they killed him. If they have killed him with a single strike, it would have been less impactful. But the way they did to him, it raised so many red flags. He may not have moved on to his next life peacefully like he wanted (based on traditional Chinese beliefs). His glory forgotten completely.  His name marked with untruth. His beautiful bones, totally destroyed. Tragic indeed.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1