[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] One And Only (aka Chang An Memories) 周身如故

SC2019

On 9/17/2021 at 10:14 AM, whiteybao said:

Ok I’m finally done. What a masterpiece. 9.5/10 from me and a definite recommendation. 

Everything was quite perfect except for the slightly rushed end. I just like everything about this show from the cast to the story, production. It was such a beautiful show.

It was a little slow-paced at the start but with many little sweets. Things start to pick up from around episode 10 onwards. Best part? It’s only 24 episodes long. Right at a sweet spot without being draggy with fillers again like all other shows.

For me, the star really is Allen Ren. He doesn’t say or do much but just his gazes, his small smiles. I don’t know how he does it but his non-verbal acting is acting on its own. omg this guy is Uncle of the year.

All the supporting characters are also very good. I’ve never seen any of them before in other shows yet they all act so well and have really nice chemistries with each other. I like how the Monk is such a wingman.

Special mention to Shiyi’s mother. She is such an upright family-name-first yet loving mother.  I also like the actress who played her. Carried out the role well and she has the aura.

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

I’m just glad his death wasn’t so graphic so it was a lot more acceptable for me. Shiyi's death on the other hand was tragic and quite hard on me.

And yes, I see the Game of Thrones references. Zhou Shengchen dressing up like a Night’s Watch and the Red Wedding massacre.

“this guy is Uncle of the year” - love it!!!!’ and totally agreed!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@whiteybaoThe actress who played Shiyi’s mother was a 

Reveal hidden contents

villainess

in The Glory of Tang Dynasty which also starred Allen.

Ah ok. I’ve not watched Glory of Tang Dynasty and since it’s the show that propelled Allen to fame I’m hunting for it now. Not easy to find where I am.

I’ve looked for Glory of Tang Dynasty with Eng subs too, but without success.  There’ve been enough requests, but whoever owns the rights isn’t giving up.

Allen Ren’s other dramas have been rebroadcast, but, as far as I know, GOTD has not.  It’s really long, over 60 each for GOTD1 and GOTD2.  Maybe that’s why.

• Insightful 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] One And Only (aka Chang An Memories) 周身如故
46 minutes ago, ElleSor said:

I am satisfied with this ending. Some may think it lacked passion and skinship (when SY woke up )but I always thought that both characters were a bit on the conservative side of things. 

I agree. I think the response is just right for SY and ZSC. 

ZSC speaks through his actions. He is relief SY is awake, but didn't overreact, instead his focus was on keeping SY safe and healthy. 

1 hour ago, ChibiLy said:

ZSC speaks through his actions. He is relief SY is awake, but didn't overreact, instead his focus was on keeping SY safe and healthy. 

Tears falling from his eyes is enough for me too.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I know right? I could feel his relief that she woke up.

@tantaran808 I think they both retained their personalities from the ancient times, especially ZSC. Still very reserved and calm.

• Insightful 1

4 hours ago, tantaran808 said:

Tears falling from his eyes is enough for me too.

I see where you are coming from. But I agree with the comment below 

2 hours ago, ElleSor said:

@tantaran808 I think they both retained their personalities from the ancient times, especially ZSC. Still very reserved and calm.

ZSC does not like causing SY distress. Even in ancient times he only got teary or he silently cried alone.

The modern-day ZSC is the same, even when he was upset with his extend family, he only cried in bed alone. 

ZSC main characteristic is his strong self-control. He only truly lost it for a split second, when he was given false information that SY had woken up. 

8 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I see where you are coming from. But I agree with the comment below 

ZSC does not like causing SY distress. Even in ancient times he only got teary or he silently cried alone.

The modern-day ZSC is the same, even when he was upset with his extend family, he only cried in bed alone. 

ZSC main characteristic is his strong self-control. He only truly lost it for a split second, when he was given false information that SY had woken up. 

I’m sure you would also include when ZSC beat up Wenchuan at the hospital twice for hurting/killing their sister.

On 9/29/2021 at 5:48 AM, tantaran808 said:

I’m sure you would also include when ZSC beat up Wenchuan at the hospital twice for hurting/killing their sister.

I felt he still had some control. He was that angry, he wanted to hurt Wenchuan. But with SY's scenario he truely lost it. He didn't mean to yell, but he did.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, tantaran808 said:

I’ve looked for Glory of Tang Dynasty with Eng subs too, but without success.  There’ve been enough requests, but whoever owns the rights isn’t giving up.

Allen Ren’s other dramas have been rebroadcast, but, as far as I know, GOTD has not.  It’s really long, over 60 each for GOTD1 and GOTD2.  Maybe that’s why.

The second season is shorter at 32 episodes x 32 minutes as compared to the first season’s 45min format. The production may look a bit dated now but they got S.E.N.S from Japan to score the BGM and spent RMB300k on making his sword. They even made a documentary.

Thanks @bluehibiscus.  That’s amazing.  I remember seeing the documentary about the work involved in making the props and costumes for GOTD.  Unfortunately, there were no English subs.

I understand that Detective Dee has been rebroadcast in China recently?  If so, I would hope GOTD would also be shown since it is not as old.

I just wish I could see GOTD with English subs :exercice: 

Ren Jialun’s rendition of “Glory” is one of my favorites.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, tantaran808 said:

Thanks @bluehibiscus.  That’s amazing.  I remember seeing the documentary about the work involved in making the props and costumes for GOTD.  Unfortunately, there were no English subs.

I understand that Detective Dee has been rebroadcast in China recently?  If so, I would hope GOTD would also be shown since it is not as old.

I just wish I could see GOTD with English subs :exercice: 

Ren Jialun’s rendition of “Glory” is one of my favorites.

I like “Glory” too! I like all the sung OSTs in this drama actually.

Maybe if I have the time, I can try to translate the documentary where they talked about the sword.

I don’t really pay attention to news of Detective Dee as the overall look and feel of the drama don’t appeal to me. GOTD had been rebroadcast before if I’m not wrong. How does rebroadcast help? Nowadays most dramas can be watched anytime via online platforms unless they get pulled.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:53 AM, an-naum said:

What a sad ending.. Yes, it was expected since early on. I'm crying.. 

ZC was killed on episode 23, and later follow by Shiyi jump off on the final. At least the country is finally safe but with a lot of dying here and there. ZC destiny has been written from he was young that he will not getting what he deserve. Its a tragedy. Very painful to watch the letter half of the series til the end. 

Lets move on to next chapter of their life. Forever and ever. The novel translation is written beautifully. I can feel the love between them. Both carry their names to the next life and its a wonderful one. 

I can feel their love too!!!! Great acting and lovely couple

• Like 1