[Drama 2021] The Red Sleeve Cuff, 옷소매 붉은 끝동

ferily

I think she very much loved him. In her conversation with G3, she said she was going to pretend in front of the King that she didn't, and I think the reason why relates back to what she said at the library to him about how as a human it's natural that if you give your everything to someone, you will want that person to give his/her everything to you. However, she knew that the King couldn't do that even though she gave her everything to him. To keep herself at bay from wanting more from him, she had to keep that pretense up. Remember how San is the King who put his nation over love and that conversation where she asks if he ever thought of being an ordinary man and how he said he never thought of not being a King, but she said sometimes she would imagine what life would be if they were just ordinary people..she basically knew she loved him but not the circumstances and probably hoped that if they did ever meet again, it wouldn't be as a King and a court lady. In the last scene, he finally chose her over the nation, which is why she didn't reject him and tell him to go back anymore. In the afterlife, they could just be together without worry about status, duties to the nation, etc.

I don't know if I misconstrued some stuff because I just finished watching the subbed version, but that's my take.

By the way, we reached 17% and 17.4% for episode 16 and 17 respectively. This means we are getting these promises:

I'm so happy that the cast/crew get the overseas trip. They all worked hard!

More behind the scenes:

Spoiler

Their talent in being able to film such sad moments even though behind the scenes, they're always playing and joking.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:07 AM, pad-hari said:

best new actor - kang hoon (deokro)
best supporting actress - jang hye jin (court lady seo)
best writer - jung hae ri
achievement award - lee deok hwa (king yeongjo)
best couple award - junho and seyoung (sandeok)
top excellence actor award miniseries - lee junho (yisan)
top excellence actress award miniseries - lee seyoung (deokim)
drama of the year - the red sleeve

CONGRATS TRS TEAM !! 8 WINS OUT OF 15 NOMINATIONS 

daebak!!!! 

Congrats to the cast and crew!:)

• Like 5

Ok at this point I don't know if I feel more sorry now for a dead King because that was his reality.

Or Yi San who lost Deuk Im and had to have more children. In the end no one was left who remembered her except one friend. And there was no living children.

Omg. At this point this is all so tragic. It just gutted me that he was all alone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

And it's finish wow I'm still in a limbo kind of state, as the previous week I think I'll need proper rest after this, what a rollercoaster ride if emotions I had really... Even worse as I'm a baby mom, that escene break my heart in million pieces and had to pause the video and go to hug my baby tight to regain again my energy. Their pain but mostly her pain, not be able to see our touch your son in his last breath... that really really break me..

For the final I think it was their afterlife, where they can live together and happy as a family and he be only hers, without worrying about other people or nation problems, status or palace intrigues. I liked I could see again their eyes sparking as the begining of their love story.

Actually that plum flowers did exist in real history and bloomed every time a good thing happen between them (there's records written by Jeongjo about that). On the year both Prince Munhyo and Deok Im died didn't bloomed and Jeongjo believed that it was a signal of his late father, because he was about to change the place of his grave but couldn't and after the death of his loved ones he decided to built the Hwaseong Fortress and put Prince Sado grave there too. 

Regarding about the questions of if she truly loved him I think that she very much. But Deok Im was always a action type of person more that a words person. She always choosed action when related to San, her friends, or her life; it would be more easy if she just talked and then see what to do when she had a problem but she always choosed acting and then see the consequences, so for this I think she truly and very much loved him, all her actions screaming her love for San. About her don't explicit say she loved him, as @happiness says she had to put that wall between them to protect herself too, she always talked about how she cherished herself so I think it was the only way and power she wanted to keep to herself, her love to him; if she give it to him that, she will just remain as a useless woman so she decided to stay with the only power she had, her heart. That can be a way to loving someone too, as a married woman I can say that marriage is not about just one person or sharing thing, is about renouncing too because when you married instead of one you're a team and for the sake of that team you must leave behind some things and gain anothers too, I think she understood that perfectly and whats why she choosed to stay by his side regardless what she finish loosing.

I will be back again later to add more things or make another post I think I didn't say everything yet hahaha but I can't think properly at the moment haha 

But I want to thanks everyone here for this ride we took together and for sharing interesting things was a pleasure to read and discover new things all the time I enter here, Thanks so much!!

Hopefully they'll meet again in a new project and in a modern and more pleasant story, already happen to lot of couples (Goblin Lee Dong Wook and Yoo Inna for example they had they're own drama and story after) so I'm hopping they soon receive a good story and have time to do that project (hoping for a tv cable project better as they have more freedom for some escenes :smirk:

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Translations of the titles San wrote on the paper before choosing "Ui":

Spoiler

The last stills:

Spoiler

SNS Updates :

Spoiler

:bawling:

Lee Sunhee's OST MV:

Spoiler

Clip of that scene in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

MBC President on the vacation reward:

Spoiler

G4 being goofballs behind the scenes:

Spoiler

Edited by happiness
added partial article translation of vacation reward + added G4 behind the scenes
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

I also think that she loved him tremendously. She loved him more than she loved herself hence she gave up on her independence to be with him. I just hope  that San knew how much DI loved him because she truly did and it would be sad if he didn’t see it. What a drama! I have a tendency to lose interest in a drama after episodes in but TRS held me in from beginning to end. This is a series that I will be watching again and again..

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Is it just me but I felt like the way Deok Im passed away in the drama was so abrupt and out of place? One minute she was up and about patting the King's face then all of a sudden she faints and dies 3 days later??? Just seems a bit weird that they didn't even show a little glimpse of what led to her death but instead they just cut to her dying after fainting?? I know she died young according to history but I felt that they could have made it look more realistic in the drama........

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Even before he bedded her, he knows very well that she is half hearted.  He keep on asking her if she is ok with it.  At the last moment, she asked him to let her go.  But he asked her if she is ok without seeing him for the rest of her life.  That's where he check mated her.  He very well knows she likes him as he do but she was in denial.  She loved him too, that's why she took his hands as acceptance.  Awww, beautiful!!!! The way she pulled his robes in ep. 15 and how she took his hands accepting him was so beautiful.  Both JH and SY jjang!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

She saw what was done to concubines who lost favour or didnt bear the king any sons when she was young,  but her situation was different. The king loved her dearly and she was just unhappy because she cant go out from the palace? She can always have her friends with her at the palace and she can always request San to go out of the palace if she wants to, no?

Its like the writers just want to make Deok Im unhappy as much possible because what could possibly the reason for the real Deok Im rejecting the King's hand in marriage, two centuries ago? Sigh

From the twitter updates, to the her last breath scene, it doesnt seemed to indicate that she loved him that much... sigh... 

Your post made me wonder about DoekIm's real reason for  rejecting San.In the modern era freedom/independence makes a lot of sense to me.Was it really valuable for Doek Im like it is to me in the present?She belonged to the family of a traitor.Was adopted by the servant of San's mom.If she were to marry a commoner life wouldn't be easy.Her husband might have married another.Making ends meet may have been difficult.A woman either a cocubine or a commoner's wife was a second class citizen in that era.Her degree of freedom would be dependent on her husband just as it was for a concubine.

I increasingly feel her rejections were the only ace up her sleeve.The most powerful and sought after man in the kingdom couldn't win the heart of a court lady who neither had power,wealth,accomplishments or extraordinary beauty. The challenge to be her 1st priority would always keep San's interest in her amidst his queen,concubines and other women. That understanding makes her an extremely astute lady. She should have caught on the fact that others were ready to exploit this weakness of the king..Maybe she was confident of evading being a pawn hence the earlier rejections. This is what I could gather from the drama having not read the novel.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

Your post made me wonder about DoekIm's real reason for  rejecting San.In the modern era freedom/independence makes a lot of sense to me.Was it really valuable for Doek Im like it is to me in the present?She belonged to the family of a traitor.Was adopted by the servant of San's mom.If she were to marry a commoner life wouldn't be easy.Her husband might have married another.Making ends meet may have been difficult.A woman either a cocubine or a commoner's wife was a second class citizen in that era.Her degree of freedom would be dependent on her husband just as it was for a concubine.

I increasingly feel her rejections were the only ace up her sleeve.The most powerful and sought after man in the kingdom couldn't win the heart of a court lady who neither had power,wealth,accomplishments or extraordinary beauty. The challenge to be her 1st priority would always keep San's interest in her amidst his queen,concubines and other women. That understanding makes her an extremely astute lady. She should have caught on the fact that others were ready to exploit this weakness of the king..Maybe she was confident of evading being a pawn hence the earlier rejections. This is what I could gather from the drama having not read the novel.

I really liked how you pointed out some interesting things, actually in real history almost all her older sisters became concubines, there's a record of one sister that was made concubine of one of Lady Hyegyeong (San's Mom) brother so maybe that experience made her think well about the life of a concubine. In the drama she actually wanted to become one when she was little, after she saw the funeral of Lady Yi Yeongbin (San's Biological Grandma) and the history Head Court Lady Jo told her about dying inside the palace, that make her think that if she become a concubine or a high rank court lady she'll have the money and power to help her brother. Little she know the hardships that being a concubine means. She started to change after all the things Lady Jo do and she experienced, she knew then the danger and the manipulation that was involved on the court. Plus to that the conversation that San had with his mom too make her change automatically her thinking about concubines and their life inside the palace

About she being trapped inside and not able to go out, that was the rule for all royal family ladies, after she received the King's favor she automatically become part of the royal family, that means she is not longer part of her family as she's the King's family now, example for that is when the Dowager Queen couldn't go to her own brother funeral. Being a royal lady was difficult and had lot of rules to follow, even if San allowed Deok Im for going out she had yet to pass the Queen filter as the Queen is the head of all ladies in the court.

In real history too Uibin was known for not accept any of the benefits and power that means being King's concubine, she lived a very frugal life she didn't allow her chambers to be luxurious or being built from zero, she just stay in a normal building and is believed that she do some remodeling by her own, in the drama we saw that her home was outside the palace main complex and was very simple yet cozy.

Even Jeongjo take her as  example and start living simple. A thing I liked too and the drama take it in consideration was that her nephew was made royal guard as his father, because this happen in real history.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1