[Drama 2021] The Red Sleeve Cuff, 옷소매 붉은 끝동

ferily

@simplesim  I saw, in another drama, that a man can wear a light pink hanbok, so I thought

that YS could also wear a pink hanbok...    :D

Spoiler

0bc166d6328e57bad1bef1bd52ef3bfb.jpg

Yi San was so worried about DeokIm.

He suggested exile although that means he will never see her again.   

But she will be alive.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

'The Red Sleeve' starring Junho & Lee Se Young becomes the first MBC mini-series in 3 years to surpass 10% in viewership ratings

1638600621-20211204-red.jpg

Posted by Susan-Han | 12/4/2021

According to Nielsen Korea on December 4, the 7th episode of MBC's ongoing Fri-Sat mini-series 'The Red Sleeve' aired on December 3 surpassed a viewership rating of 10%, with the highest rating of the episode at 10.7% and an average rating of 10.7% within cities. 

This marks the first time in approximately 3 years that any mini-series aired on MBC has gone over 10% in viewership ratings. The last time was in 2018 with drama 'My Secret Terrius'.

Meanwhile, MBC's 'The Red Sleeve' is a fictional retelling of the well-known historical romance between King Jeongjo of Joseon and his royal concubine, Uibin Sung. 2PM's Junho plays the role of King Jeongjo, and actress Lee Se Young plays the role of Uibin Sung, or Sung Duk Im. Many drama fans have praised the series for its classic historical drama style, at the same time challenging various K-drama tropes. 

LINK: https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/12/the-red-sleeve-starring-junho-lee-se-young-becomes-the-first-mbc-mini-series-in-3-years-to-surpass-10-in-viewership-ratings

CAST IG POST:

Young DeokIm with King Yeongjo

Gungnyeo (Court ladiy) Four | G4

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

On 12/6/2021 at 1:31 AM, baconham said:

Hi everyone I'm new here :)

I just started watching this after reading the synopsis online and was wondering if anybody knows why Deok Im was eventually made San's concubine instead of the Queen? The fact that she is a concubine takes away the heart-fluttering romance in this drama because it kind of feels like she is a mistress? And it even makes San look like a womaniser since she's just one of the concubines lol. I mean if San loves her so much she would have been the only woman in his life i.e. the Queen instead of just one of the many concubines?

Historically, Yi San married at the age of 10. Hence, he can't make Deok Im his Queen. 

• Like 1

In episode 8 there is a scene wherein is the King Yeongjo instructing the 3 loyal allies of Crown Prince Yisan to protect him at all cost??

For he knows that there are people like Master Hong - who i believe disguises as a traitor that will try their best to removed Yisan as the Crown Prince..For King Yeongjo knows that his time is about to come to pass his throne bec of his Dementia.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2021 at 11:31 AM, baconham said:

Hi everyone I'm new here :)

I just started watching this after reading the synopsis online and was wondering if anybody knows why Deok Im was eventually made San's concubine instead of the Queen? The fact that she is a concubine takes away the heart-fluttering romance in this drama because it kind of feels like she is a mistress? And it even makes San look like a womaniser since she's just one of the concubines lol. I mean if San loves her so much she would have been the only woman in his life i.e. the Queen instead of just one of the many concubines?

It's a tradition for royals back then. When the prince became the crown prince, his wife is picked for him. He doesn't has a choice. That's why most of the King's true loves are concubine. When he becomes King, the concubines are picked for him as well; for heirs and political gains. The king cannot give the Queen title to their true love but titled as the highest rank of the concubines. Back then the king is expected to be a polygamist. Can't really blame Yi San for having many wives. LOL He did said Lady Sung is his only love so.... :fullofhearts:

• Like 3

4 actresses with outstanding performances as female leads in 2021 historical K-dramas

Hachi1207 | December 8, 2021

c21a39a3cac245f28fddc53f35f60d1784c0c12e

These 4 actresses impressed the audience in this year’s most well-known period Korean dramas. 

2021 has been a memorable year for fans of historical K-dramas. In addition to captivating storylines, acting also plays an important role in the success of these dramas. Let’s take a look at 4 of the best female lead portrayals of Korean actresses in 2021 historical dramas.  

-- omitted some unrelated parts--

Lee Se Young – The Red Sleeves

She was famous as a child actress, similar to Park Eun Bin, but Lee Se Young is more well-known because she appeared in many more famous dramas such as “Dae Jang Geum” when she was a child and “A Korean Odyssey” when she was an adult. In the new drama “The Red Sleeve“, Lee Se Young plays a palace maid who wishes to have a free life of her own, instead of confining herself to the palace for the rest of her life. The Red Sleeves is a drama with a high rating in the Friday – Saturday time frame and Lee Se Young‘s acting ability is one of the drama’s most attractive points.

Lee Se Young portrays the image of a young palace maid with modern thinking at the time. Her interaction with the male lead Lee Jun Ho also surprised the public. Although her audience response is not as great as Lee Jun Ho‘s, Lee Se Young still has a large number of fans.

Entering the second year of the new decade, Korean dramas are now a fairer game for everyone.  Reputation is no longer an important factor to attract the attention of the audience, but only a good script and acting skills can conquer a large number of viewers.

LINK: https://kbizoom.com/4-actresses-with-outstanding-performances-as-female-leads-in-2021-historical-k-dramas/

4 Best Villains that Are Heating Up the Small Screen on the Weekends

by krishkim | December 3, 2021

257867173_448291050000703_86617334372189

Some actors are making their names known amid the fierce competition of weekend dramas. They are Jirisan‘s Lee Ga Sub, The Red Sleeve‘s Kang Hoon, Now, We Are Breaking Up‘s Yoon Na Moo, and Happiness‘s Baek Hyun Jin. They all clash with the main characters and exude presence as “anger-inducing” characters that add tension to the story.

First, Lee Ga Sub from Jirisan is a man Jun Ji Hyun and Ju Ji Hoon suspect as a serial killer. He was first seen as Jun Ji Hyun’s assistant but became the central key in the drama’s twist with his ambiguous attitude. On the other hand, Kang Hoon plays Hong Deok Ro, Junho’s aide, who comes into conflict with Lee Se Young, in The Red Sleeve. He has established his position as a villain from early on by revealing his ambition to extend his influence by using Junho.

Appearing on two dramas with 7% and 9% ratings, they have successfully left a deep impression on the viewers. Lee and Kang have honed their prowess, playing small roles in multiple projects for about ten years.

- omitted unrelated parts - 

Source (1)

Link: zapzee.net

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

On 12/7/2021 at 3:14 PM, hallee said:

In episode 8 there is a scene wherein is the King Yeongjo instructing the 3 loyal allies of Crown Prince Yisan to protect him at all cost??

For he knows that there are people like Master Hong - who i believe disguises as a traitor that will try their best to removed Yisan as the Crown Prince..For King Yeongjo knows that his time is about to come to pass his throne bec of his Dementia.

King Yeongjo knows his time is near, so I think he did this to round up and prepare San's allies...

Master hong, the minister? 

Or you mean Hong Deokro.

Because if its the first, then the king definitely knows that minister is out to get San. King YeongJo knows that if she shows more deterioration then minister hong will strike...

But if its about Deokro...

Spoiler

Then for me, I dont think Hong Deokroo is disguising as a traitor. Far from it,  i think he is the most loyal retainer of San and the number one person who would want for San to take the throne above anyone else. 

He is smart but comes from a noble but destitute family, thus he has very limited connections. It was his smarts and luck, and with addition of an oversight from the enemy camp thus he has now become San's people. He has been with San for a long time, maybe the longest one that is why San trusts him. 

The most important and prominent characteristic of Deokroo is that he has an ambitious and scheming.

So for him, his primary ambition would be to get highest status and get his family's luck to turn around for the good. The best scheme for that is to ally with San and make sure San gets the monarch. Thus if San is King, then that would make him the Right hand man of the King. 

It would be counter productive for him to betray San. If San doesn't ascend, and some minor royal or Sans half brother replace him as king, and he doesnt have closest relationship with the exhanged king. By this scenario He (deokro) who betrayed the San with the Ministers, would turn him  to a mere minion of a minister...

Also The introduction of her sister also shows what other plans he has for himself. Other than being a minister close to the king, he plans to get his sister to be San's concubine... and that would bring more prestige and power...

I mean, not saying he is not villainy in his ways. He probabaly is the same type of person as Court Lady Jo. Both are very much Ambitious, scheming and ruthless.

The only difference is that they are on opposite sides, CL JO is against San while Deokro is one to make sure that San sits the throne.

The only possible way he would betray San, is if his sister becomes a concubine of San if san ascends thw thone, then if his sister produces a heir and the nephew becomes a crown prince. By then he can probably plot/scheme to kill San and put his nephew in the throne and he will be like the shadow king... 

Lee Junho Vlog: Behind

San's Daily Life

[eng subbed]

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@rocher22

The tenseful moment and happy reunion moment. The episode that brought so much angst and aweetness...

Red sleeve extended with 1 more episode, thus ebding with 17 episodes total.

I hopw the writing doesnt slack off with this extension. But i guess 1 episode extension rounding to 17 episodes to tell a story that spans almost 20 years is okay... 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

Since Se Young joined the filming set first, she makes the atmosphere a cheerful vibe indeed…that is accdg to JunHo himself…Found another OTP i will be shipping hard to be together IRL long after their drama has ended. :hooray2:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

The Red Sleeve - Behind The Scene Episode 7, 8

[Eng Subbed]

Deleted Scenes Episode 7

Teaser for OST 5

Title - It's Beautiful After All

Artist - Shim Gyu-sun

This 5th music is like a message to prepare our hearts. It feels so heartbreaking...

4 hours ago, hallee said:
Since Se Young joined the filming set first, she makes the atmosphere a cheerful vibe indeed…that is accdg to JunHo himself…Found another OTP i will be shipping hard to be together IRL long after their drama has ended. 

They really are so shippable, like for real....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hallee said:
FINALLLLLLYYYYY THEY ARE TOGETHER IN HIS BEDCHAMBER! 

They are...

and she looks peaceful sleeping that way...

I thought that she might have falen asleep and he put her in..

but I just read in twitter that one of the court ladies duties is to lie in those bed for the royals, to warm said bed...

well DI certainly s doing her job and the some... hahahaha

episode 9 preview

• Like 3

I was wondering whats on friday and saturday - i seemed to be missing something.... then bam, its red sleeve cuff day..:D

Court ladies warm the royal bed? That's the first time i heard about it.. i thought their bed are off limits unless they are the 'chosen ones' to share the bed, as in being their concubines... :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

51 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

I was wondering whats on friday and saturday - i seemed to be missing something.... then bam, its red sleeve cuff day..:D

Court ladies warm the royal bed? That's the first time i heard about it.. i thought their bed are off limits unless they are the 'chosen ones' to share the bed, as in being their concubines... :D

I actually thought DI accidentally slept while keeping San company, as she slept San took mercy on her and put her on his bad to warm her up... hahahaha I thought of that scenario cause like I thought it unlikely for DI to sleep in San's bed unless she was the chosen one. and as we know of Consort UI and King Jeongjo, she did reject him 3 times...

but i read in twitter that there were court ladies that have duties to literary warm the bed for the royal. I am not sure how legit that is though. 

So their duty is to make the bed warm and cozy... hahaha

• LOL 1

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” continues to dominate Friday nights!

On December 10, viewership ratings for the popular historical romance drama starring 2PM’s Lee Junho and Lee Se Young soared to a new all-time high. According to Nielsen Korea, “The Red Sleeve” remained the most-watched drama in its time slot with an average nationwide rating of 10.9 percent for its latest episode, marking a new personal record for the series.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-red-sleeve-records-its-highest-ratings-yet-as-happiness-sees-rise-ahead-of-finale/#ixzz7EhjBRDyP