[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] My Sassy Princess 祝卿好

sugarplum892

@pad-hari i had the same thoughts about the fallen lucky knot and why that was purposely highlighted.

As for Lady Xu, I wonder if it's about loyalty? About her knowing too many of his secrets/ affairs that he is insecure because she's decided to leave him, and lest she spill the beans on him? If you watched the Killer is Also Romantic, the Prince also did the same thing to the ML, wanting to kill him because he would not swear loyalty to him/be willing to serve him. So, it's kinda the thinking that it's me you serve or no one else!

(Added on - in E06, when the Crown Prince is teasing the bird in the cage with a leaf, he says to the bird "you are a caged bird, a toy, if you overthink and don't act on behalf of the lord, and misbehave, then what is the point of keeping you around?" I think this clearly explains what he considers Lady Xu, his tool to do with as he wishes. And since she no longer wants to serve him, then there is no point to keeping her around.)

I dunno if Lady Xu was surprised that it's him or surprised that he took of his mask and was willing to reveal his identity.

Oh yes,  the two old dukes are so cute. I like the actor and the actress who play Duke and Duchess Shen. And it was so funny watching him say "I dunno what's so good about having sons. Everyone says it is a good thing but mine are so problematic." It's like poking fun at the Chinese long held bias of sons over daughters (though I suspect with time this bias is changing. )

@leo2020 I must say of all the characters, the FL's father, the Prince is the most enigmatic and conflicted. It's almost like he went through with the motions of the rebellion not caring about the outcome. Kinda like, let's just get this over and be done with it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:32 AM, SC2019 said:

@realistic2280a I am tempted to create a thread for that other drama. The problem is I dunno if the thread will be pin-drop silent or not, and then it would look weird with just the first post, and nothing else. :cries:

As for this one, I would say it's worth watching, both the ML and FL are not rookie actors so the acting is a notch or two above the average mark. ZYC is (I think) by nature not a stone-faced person, he seems more jovial BTS so it doesn't come naturally for him to portray these kinda roles. I think for tsundere roles, one requires the Cheng Yi kind of expression, where he can emote stone-faced roles through the eyes; else the character just looks stone-faced. Having said that, I believe their chemistry is good and Crystal Yuan is doing pretty well. There are scenes I caught in the later episode where the cinematography gives me a movie-feel, so I would say whoever was in charge of that section knows what he/she is doing. My gripe in the earlier post was how the trope of FL being 

Hide contents
Spoiler

married off against her will is being used. And the ML is being typically prideful, and egoistical about the whole thing. It certainly amps up the angst but I guess I was hoping he would reach out to comfort her when she needed it most. Instead, he walks away, annoyed/ agrieved that she chose to leave him, and not let him partake in the decision -agrieved that she cared less for their relationship. But if you had to choose between a political marriage that would keep war between 2 countries at bay, ensuring the safety of citizens and safeguarding your family, his family vs your own personal happiness (selfish choice with detrimental outcomes), what would you choose? This is assuming she doesn't know anything about faking her own death as a route out of this predicament (as featured in other dramas)??

Thanks @SC2019... phew there were more than one comment on that other thread... yey:lol:

I will try have a go for this drama....initially the reviews seemed good but after that, i read complaints about that i decided to put on hold... i dont know too many china actors..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

Duchess Shen

Ohh, that's Yang Ming Na,  IMO she is amazing). I suppose you might remember her from her numerous previous works , including for example recent Long Ballad). 

37 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

the FL's father, the Prince is the most enigmatic and conflicted

I suppose I would agree with you on that. I think with the death of his wife, FL's mum, his "point of no return" has already been reached. Everything that happened after was, just like you said,

42 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

let's just get this over and be done with it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Finished this one! Found it accidently when I was bored during my covid isolation haha..

Apparently the ML is trained in Chinese opera stunts, nice!

He is into martial arts since his childhood, Wushu if I'm not mistaken. Have you seen his action/fighting scenes BTS? He is sooo good with sword, he does all that crazy sword-spinning himself). 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, leo2020 said:

He is into martial arts since his childhood, Wushu if I'm not mistaken. Have you seen his action/fighting scenes BTS? He is sooo good with sword, he does all that crazy sword-spinning himself). 

Yah i found some videos to watch. But I feel that the editing of this drama makes the martial arts scenes look quite fake.  I think his skills look better in the BTS than in the drama. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Yah i found some videos to watch. But I feel that the editing of this drama makes the martial arts scenes look quite fake.  I think his skills look better in the BTS than in the drama. 

Well, in the drama they tried very hard to show the character's  skills and abilities, I agree it's a bit overdone and exaggerated, but IMO still looks cool :partyblob:

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 7:04 PM, realistic2280a said:

Thanks @SC2019... phew there were more than one comment on that other thread... yey:lol:

I will try have a go for this drama....initially the reviews seemed good but after that, i read complaints about that i decided to put on hold... i dont know too many china actors..

I think this is a easy drama to watch. Not too complicated and decent acting. The best thing is the main leads have good on screen chemistry.

If you are looking for something that have better character development, realistic storyline and amazing acting I suggest you try 'One and Only'. But have a box of tissues ready. It is worth it.

I am up to episode 20. I like how the ML is not perfect. His judgements can also be influenced by his emotions, especially when it comes to the FL. It shows how much he loves her for him to lose some control. I think that is more realistic. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

15 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I think this is a easy drama to watch. Not too complicated and decent acting. The best thing is the main leads have good on screen chemistry.

If you are looking for something that have better character development, realistic storyline and amazing acting I suggest you try 'One and Only'. But have a box of tissues ready. It is worth it.

I am up to episode 20. I like how the ML is not perfect. His judgements can also be influenced by his emotions, especially when it comes to the FL. It shows how much he loves her for him to lose some control. I think that is more realistic. 

Thanks for the recommendation... but i think i will have to skip One and Only, as it doesnt have happy ending... I saw Forever and Ever, Bai Lu being my one of fav actresses, but Allen Ren for me was .... too ^docile^ in that drama.. cute but... it could have been better.... 

I will try to have a look at Sassy Princess and gibe feedback later on :D..thanks..

• Like 2

@realistic2280a it's a pretty easy watch and the fillers are few because it's only 22 eps. 
Personally, it wasn't very clear to me as to when Shen Yan started to realise he had feelings for her, or maybe it was a lot more subtle than what I am used to. I know in particular there was a scene, but it's partially because his face has predominantly one expression so one has to look at other 'symptoms' or body language. And truly, the editing was really choppy, I am not very discerning as compared to some other forum members, but even I could tell, so it was quite jarring. One of the earlier posts contains a video of all the chopped out scenes (you can check it out, posted by pad-hari) which reveal what we should have been privy to, but because it got edited out, the flow feels less smooth, than what it should have been.

My father who is watching this finds our FL's behaviour annoying; I might infer from his judgement that if one had more conventional expectations of a female and how a female should behave, then some viewers might find this story unsettling. I think scriptwriters in general are trying to cater to modern viewers' tastes, and people in China who watch web-dramas are probably younger, female, and possibly, have more egalitarian ideas. So some may even find such a woman liberating. If a man can charm and seduce a woman, why can't it be the other way round?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

Personally, it wasn't very clear to me as to when Shen Yan started to realise he had feelings for her,

there were many instances -  1 actually there was a flashback when they were young and he still remembers here when she teased him at his house and still she is doing that to him even now in the present but she does not remember him - also he over-heard when both she and Lu Mingshan spoke about their wedding-he was at that time on the roof-top - also when he asked her to get lost as she blamed him of sexual assault, she left and when he went in search of her, he saw her kind-attitude helping a boy in the market place - so these are some which i remember - He started to really and slowly fall for her even when he thought that she is Just playing with his heart

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

37 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

there were many instances -  1 actually there was a flashback when they were young and he still remembers here when she teased him at his house and still she is doing that to him even now in the present but she does not remember him - also he over-heard when both she and Lu Mingshan spoke about their wedding-he was at that time on the roof-top - also when he asked her to get lost as she blamed him of sexual assault, she left and when he went in search of her, he saw her kind-attitude helping a boy in the market place - so these are some which i remember - He started to really and slowly fall for her even when he thought that she is Just playing with his heart

Yes, I recall those, but to me those were points where he either had a fond memory of her as a child or he had a glimpse of her character, the one she has been hiding under the facade she has put up. I don't get an indication that he was physically attracted to her or had romantic notions about her. Anyway, my POV.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

but i think i will have to skip One and Only, as it doesnt have happy ending... I saw Forever and Ever, Bai Lu being my one of fav actresses, but Allen Ren for me was .... too ^docile^ in that drama.. cute but... it could have been better.... 

Spoiler

For me the problem with Forever&Ever was that it could not deliver the level of emotions One&Only gave us, the viewers. The ending of One & Only, IMO, was not bad, but very powerful, with a message - we can't and won't be together in this life for a number of reasons, but no one could take our love from us. It's a beautiful story with a beautiful ending. 

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I don't get an indication that he was physically attracted to her or had romantic notions about her.

I suppose since 

6 hours ago, SC2019 said:

his face has predominantly one expression

it's definitely  really hard for us, the viewers, to "get" Shen Yan. I personally think he was watching her all this time she was chasing him and his squad, perhaps at first just out of curiosity. Later  he saw how she interracts with people in different situations like 

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

she left and when he went in search of her, he saw her kind-attitude helping a boy in the market place

I believe, since he obviously a person who measures people by their actions and character qualities, those situations  made him realise she is not just a willful and annoying "sassy princess" and that's just the "front" she hides behind. 

For me, it all was in his eyes - praising Zheng Ye Cheng's acting skills here))).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@pad-hari yes, based on some marketing data, it's top 5 of web-drama, if I recall correctly.

@leo2020 Tbh, ZYC graduated with a background in Chinese opera and from young has been practicing martial arts. So the scenes that require action, really are based on his competence, not dance-choreographed, which is his competitive advantage. Just that acting wise I think he has room to grow, particularly when he takes on the stone-cold characters. Based on BTS footage, he would do well in a cheerful, upbeat kinda character but costume drama MLs are seldom that, right? 

Anyway, he's got few upcoming dramas and they are all costume-dramas, which will play to his advantage. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SC2019 said:

My father who is watching this finds our FL's behaviour annoying; I might infer from his judgement that if one had more conventional expectations of a female and how a female should behave, then some viewers might find this story unsettling. 

I thought it was cute that youre watching the drama with your dad... :) 

Miss my dad, he passed away 22 years ago (cancer).

@pad-hari... wow, the amount of money spent on the billboard... 

@leo2020... i read that many people love O&O, but reading up the episodes, no kiss scenes, no happy ending, and worse off, suicide... i want to watch happy dramas only .. life is stressful as it is...:lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

16 hours ago, leo2020 said:

For me, it all was in his eyes - praising Zheng Ye Cheng's acting skills here))).

This point I really agree.  His emoting eyes, wow!!!!! 

I have started watching sleepless princess.  The ST's are still off.  Anybody know where I can watch with proper ST's.  Thanks. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, SC2019 said:

@realistic2280a it's a pretty easy watch and the fillers are few because it's only 22 eps. 
Personally, it wasn't very clear to me as to when Shen Yan started to realise he had feelings for her, or maybe it was a lot more subtle than what I am used to. I know in particular there was a scene, but it's partially because his face has predominantly one expression so one has to look at other 'symptoms' or body language. And truly, the editing was really choppy, I am not very discerning as compared to some other forum members, but even I could tell, so it was quite jarring. One of the earlier posts contains a video of all the chopped out scenes (you can check it out, posted by pad-hari) which reveal what we should have been privy to, but because it got edited out, the flow feels less smooth, than what it should have been.

My father who is watching this finds our FL's behaviour annoying; I might infer from his judgement that if one had more conventional expectations of a female and how a female should behave, then some viewers might find this story unsettling. I think scriptwriters in general are trying to cater to modern viewers' tastes, and people in China who watch web-dramas are probably younger, female, and possibly, have more egalitarian ideas. So some may even find such a woman liberating. If a man can charm and seduce a woman, why can't it be the other way round?

I think there was no explicit point when Shen Yan fall in love. I just gathered he must be interested in her from the beginning and he unknowingly truly fell in love along the way. Given how his character is, he would have no issue avoiding her. The princess is the only person who can make him lose his cool.

I agree. The editing is questionable. They seem to have cut out a lot of the steamier scenes. 

Most of the Cnovels have the same theme. The FL appears to be different compared to the traditional expectations of a attractive female and the ML following for the unique FL. I think this drama/novel takes it a step further, the FL is not only outspoken, she is also sexually aware and have no problem initiating. That's probably why there are so many chopped out scenes! Bad role modeling for the younger generations from China's point of view.

14 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

I thought it was cute that youre watching the drama with your dad... :) 

Miss my dad, he passed away 22 years ago (cancer).

@pad-hari... wow, the amount of money spent on the billboard... 

@leo2020... i read that many people love O&O, but reading up the episodes, no kiss scenes, no happy ending, and worse off, suicide... i want to watch happy dramas only .. life is stressful as it is...:lol:

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully you get to watch dramas with other love ones.

One and Only is bittersweet. I think it is one of the few dramas that portrait what a healthy relationship can be like, without manipulation and more intense physical interaction. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@realistic2280a sorry to hear about your dad. I watched on my own first, and then recommended it to my dad (who only likes HE, so he is like you in that aspect) - think of me as his personal drama screener, if it gets pass me, it may have a chance with him, LOL. I can ocassionally accept a BE reluctantly, but I try to steer clear of those too. I did watch O&O, only the ending scene, it was majestic and I thought the FL was so calm, walking slowly to her death, and throwing herself off the city wall. Without watching their previous interactions, I was able to watch that scene for what it is worth, cinematography and all, minus the emotional baggage. 

@ChibiLy I think you've got a point there. The fact that she values him and thinks he is worth her time and energy, despite the external Yama facade he has adopted, plus the fact that she is quite attractive herself, probably made him realise she is a good catch. I mean, you've got a Princess of royal birth throwing herself at you, someone who can see past your work mask and like you for what you truly are...hhmm... I won't dodge it too. haha

5 hours ago, pad-hari said:

This point I really agree.  His emoting eyes, wow!!!!! 

I have started watching sleepless princess.  The ST's are still off.  Anybody know where I can watch with proper ST's.  Thanks. 

You know there is an extra short episode after the official ending right? And the network that aired it milked it for what it's worth and charged to view that extra? So, do look out for it too. As for subs being off, erh....I dunno where you can find better timed ones...anyone out there who can advice?

• Like 2
  • Blob 1