[Drama 2022-2023] The Glory, 더 글로리

twtwb

I started The Glory, I could not wait to watch it until I hear about the school violence scene. I only started the 1st ep today. I tought I could  watch multiple ep today, but I could not. I stopped after 14:16 min because of the sound of the hair straightener on the victim's skin, I can not... How human can treat another human like this? I hope in real life no one had to suffer like this.

I hope to be able to watch the rest of the ep 1 tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Wait is there romance in this drama? Between song Hye kyo and Lee do Hyun’s character?

Also @partyon what are the other dramas that this writer wrote?

Finally, short rant. Why is The Glory being released in two parts? :triumph: why can’t they just release everything all AT ONCE? This is the reason I’m not watching this drama yet and waiting till everything is released all at once. I hate how kdramas are picking up multiple seasons and that’s the ONE THING I liked about kdramas: everything ending in 10-24 episode.. Okay rant over

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Blob 4

On 12/31/2022 at 8:57 AM, Thong Thin said:

Happy New Year 2023 to all chingu who are watching revenge dailies with me @maribella @chococarmela @LeftCoastOppa @Lmangla @backstreetboysfan @melodictrain 

Happy New Year chingu. I haven't heard about this show... but I will definitely check it out, it kinda reminds me of Penthouse or The World Of The Married.

• LOL 3
  • Blob 3

@partyon the age old nurture vs nature theories always come to mind when we are confronted by senseless behaviour.  I agree that we are affected and moulded a lot by our parents and the environment that we  are exposed to  during the formation period or nurture in one word, but nature does have effects on people. We can see twins or siblings behaving entirely differently when the majority are very similar.

Even in this show, DE has escaped her mother's mould. She could be a happier person if she did not embark on her revenge, but it may need to be done for her to grow. Others could move on. It has to be nature.

I have seen the effects of 'friends' to be devastating, especially when they are are their early teens. In this show, HJin could not do much if she did not have her 'support' group. It's like in movies where a whole village is complicit in crimes among them. 

I chose b) answer where there must be some intervention. Again do rich and poor kids go to the same schools in Korea? Even if it's a good public school, the areas that the DEs lived in would not have people like HJins and her group. Not Dior wearing type.

• Like 1
  • Blob 5

Hi everybody,  I think I now know why Song Hye Kyo as Moon Dong Eun maintains a "Blank" look.  

The Answer is in Ep 3.  When she was with the Maid-Turn-Detective, Kang Hyeon Nam in the Car.  Kang, as we know is an ever Positive, Cheerful lady.  She was laughing away.  And then Moon Dong Eun said:  "IF I LET MYSELF LAUGH, I MAY FORGET WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO."

I think  the Director has instructed her to keep a STOIC FACE.  Directors are Not necessarily correct.  But what to do.  Let us not blame SHK for acting that way.  She is just following instructions.

Moon Dong Eun and Ha Do Yeong (Queen Bee's Husband) cross-paths much earlier than the "Go-Game".  In Ep 2, both were sitting on the Library-Floor reading and leaning on the opposite sides of the same Book-Shelf.  So it seems they do have some "Destiny" to come together.

• Like 4
  • Blob 5

6 hours ago, ferily said:

Wait is there romance in this drama? Between song Hye kyo and Lee do Hyun’s character?

I think this drama isn’t focused to much on romance but there is potential for it in the second season. At least they are implying it. Season 1 is focused on the background and the subsequent revenge.

Goblin, TKEM, Secret Garden, Mr Sunshine, Heirs, DOTS, City Hall etc to name a few.

Why is The Glory being released in two parts? 

I think this is the trend right now. 

5 hours ago, chococarmela said:

it kinda reminds me of Penthouse or The World Of The Married.

Difference being that this isn’t exactly makjang :D It’s a good revenge story though. 

4 hours ago, maribella said:

She could be a happier person if she did not embark on her revenge, but it may need to be done for her to grow. Others could move on. 

This I agree on. To be fair, she is deeply unstable psychologically to go on a rampage of revenge to this extent. It is clear that she is deeply traumatized, but to plan for 20 years for revenge and only live for it does scream major mental disturbance. She should have saved the money for therapy instead. 

This is also my main concern for any kind of romance to be included in this drama. Both main leads are damaged and wounded psychologically to the core. Neither are stable - one is okay with the culprits dying (while she doesn’t pull the trigger, she is the instigator) - the other one fantasizes about killing and lashes out at his therapist (hello, maybe try another form of therapy then).

So if this writer is going to have these leads miraculously heal other through love, it’s gonna be laughably unrealistic.

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

I think  the Director has instructed her to keep a STOIC FACE.  Directors are Not necessarily correct.  But what to do.  Let us not blame SHK for acting that way.  She is just following instructions.

Also true, but I don’t think the issue is merely the fact that she’s not laughing. Her acting lacks any kinds of micro expressions and emoting. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, partyon said:

Goblin, TKEM, Secret Garden, Mr Sunshine, Heirs, DOTS, City Hall etc to name a few.

Oh I didn’t realize Kim Eun sook is the one that wrote this drama :joy:

7 minutes ago, partyon said:

I think this is the trend right now. 

Cecily Strong Snl GIF

Can you tell I don’t like this trend :loolz:

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2022 - 2023] The Glory, 더 글로리 - Song Hye Kyo, Lee Do Hyun - Season 2 Premiering March on Netflix
5 minutes ago, ferily said:

Oh I didn’t realize Kim Eun sook is the one that wrote this drama

Also why I am very concerned she has actually penned another Cinderella story… She just can’t seem to stay away from them. :grimace:

7 minutes ago, ferily said:

Can you tell I don’t like this trend

Uhm, yeah :joy: I am actually okay with it because the 16-20 episode format is too long for me anyway. At least the break between helps me regain my focus and concentration to watch the second season.

Overall I think that the best dramas are actually the ones that are 6-10 episodes in total - with no further seasons. Haha

• Like 9

It is good to see discussions going on while we wait for Season 2.

Basically I do not like this kind of story.   Dark and Negative. Bad influence.  Especially on those who are Psychologically disturbed.   Life is already hard enough.

Curiosity and such a lively thread (I mean all of you) makes me stay on to watch and discuss.

3 hours ago, partyon said:

Also true, but I don’t think the issue is merely the fact that she’s not laughing. Her acting lacks any kinds of micro expressions and emoting. 

@partyon   Maybe  Song Hye Kyo should learn to Relax and Laugh more.   

In acting, you have to be relaxed in order to let your Artistic Talents come to the fore.  

Just look at the Maid-Turn-Detective.  She is so Relaxed and Natural.  

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

true, but I don’t think the issue is merely the fact that she’s not laughing. Her acting lacks any kinds of micro expressions and emoting. 

I have seen the one-expression look on many actors when they are supposed to have experienced a trauma, they have a 'terrible ' secret, in VIP Jang Nara's husband was an illegitimate child and he had one expression throughout :Megalol:  I think a fan jumped to his defence when I mentioned it, until stacks of people pointed it out. So hilarious. Lee something he was, a veteran actor too.
Song Jung Ki went through a few episodes of Reborn rich with the same expression - ok don't jump at my throat SJK fans.

It has to be a kdrama thing. You are hurt, repressed anger, inferiority complex .... choose an expression and stay. Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Forbes: A Scarred Song Hye-Kyo Exacts K-Drama Revenge In ‘The Glory’

spacer.png

In her nuanced portrayal of Dong-eun, Song delivers a fractured fixated character, so hell-bent on destroying her tormenters that she derives little happiness from her own existence. Even if she achieves the justice she longs for, it will not erase the scars she acquired.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2023/01/01/a-scarred-song-hye-kyo-exacts-k-drama-revenge-in-the-glory/?sh=328be955e77c

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Another explanation for Song Hye Kyo's (Moon Dong Eun) lack of micro-expressions :

Part 1 of Netflix's 'The Glory' was released on December 30th. Moon Dong Eun (Song Hye Kyo), whose soul was shattered by violence in her childhood, had only one goal in life. She appears in front of those who harassed her and takes revenge. Moon Dong Eun waited only for that moment and endured the extreme time. The terrible pain and wounds even took away Moon Dong Eun's emotions.

Moon Dong Eun declared revenge by throwing her life at the targets of revenge. Song Hye Kyo's passionate acting increased the level of immersion in 'The Glory'. Song Hye Kyo, who continued the play with a calm expression while pressing all her pain and suffering deep into her heart, confirmed her acting skills that were 100% immersed in Moon Dong Eun.

During the 8th episode of Part 1, Moon Dong Eun does not laugh. Fearing that if she smiles, she will forget them, and her painful feelings and harsh thoughts will fade away.

Moon Dong Eun always hides her emotions with an expressionless expression and thinks only of one goal. Her face is sadder and sadder than any sobbing.

Song Hye Kyo, who is charming with her pretty and warm smile, thoroughly erases her loveliness and lives only with her Moon Dong Eun. That's why it's hard to read everyday expressions.  But the minute her facial expression changes, (which occurs when she is confronted with the terrible perpetrators) it makes us realise how much pain Moon Dong Eun has inside and how long she has endured during the extreme night. 

Part 1 built the narrative of Moon Dong Eun and laid the groundwork for the revenge play. There must be a reason why Dong Eun originally dreamed of becoming an architect.

In Part 2, what all viewers want is one thing. cool revenge. In some parts of my childhood, I hope that revenge will be justified as much as the cruel depiction of abusive behavior that I would rather close my eyes on. Writer Kim Eun Sook, who expressed her own words in another way, said, "Watching when and by whom they are punished is a big point to watch." 

Joo Yeo Jeong (The Plastic Surgeon):

He has a sad past where he also is waiting to avenge his father’s death.  The perpetrator is a serial killer who spent most of his time sending letters. He helps Song Hye Kyo to get her revenge after hearing her story and seeing the scars. His empathetic side helps him to understand her better. 

Note:  So my initial guess is correct.  It is all about the different Stages in the Story.

Young Moon Dong Eun (Actress Jung Ji So) is young and powerless. Therefore the free flow of Micro-Expressions.

Adult Moon Dong Eun (Song Hye Kyo) has a Purpose in her comeback - REVENGE!.  She must not allow any feelings of Weakness to interfere with her Intention and Purpose.  Thus the Lack of Micro-Expressions.

I hope these will help us to understand  Song Hye Kyo, the Female Lead better.  And also about Joo Yeo Jeong.

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

REVIEW: ‘The Glory’ is a Brutal Watch, Song Hye-kyo Brings Dong-eun to Life with Care

spacer.png

As our lead actor, Song Hye-kyo brings Dong-eun to life with care. Her performance is moving, calculating, vulnerable, and even terrifying. She is able to show the determination and grit so often denied female characters in storytelling, and she does so by understanding how to act in silence as much as delivering her dialogue. She feels her rage and fury constantly, and she is allowed to.

From wide shots to close-ups, Song Hye-kyo showcases determination, rage, and loneliness that reverberate through every moment, even those where traditional romance is set by the score. Truly, Song as Dong-eun is one of the best performances in television this year. She is strikingly gorgeous and unwaveringly vengeful, and she captures the spectrum of grief that comes with trauma.

https://butwhytho.net/2022/12/30/the-glory-kdrama-review/

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

Human Beings are so Funny.   Like Park Yeong Jin, most people can hurt others.  But when it comes to their own children, they are so protective.

Can they not empathise with others?  

Directors are so stereotyped in their imaginations.  Why can't ordinary folks dress up nicely.  I find that in all dramas, the poor and ordinary folks have very untidy and unattractive hairstyles.  It does not cost much to comb one's hair neatly. 

Why can't Moon Dong Eun style her Hair nicely, neatly.  After all she is not poor.  She has saved up a lot of money over the years.  She can easily buy a Car and Digital Camera for her "Detective".   She could have styled her hair better.   Why can't she make herself more attractive?  

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

20 hours ago, ferily said:

Finally, short rant. Why is The Glory being released in two parts? :triumph: why can’t they just release everything all AT ONCE? This is the reason I’m not watching this drama yet and waiting till everything is released all at once. I hate how kdramas are picking up multiple seasons and that’s the ONE THING I liked about kdramas: everything ending in 10-24 episode.. Okay rant over

It's a Netflix concept. All started from 'Kingdom'. While this is a Korean drama, they also want to market towards a Western audience. Netflix thinks Western audiences get turned off when they see a show that is 16 episodes.    

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Just had to re enter soompi  because this show is just so good. The whole thing was too reverting . I am so happy for SHG finally a role that is unexpected , marked and she nailed it. This was the reason why I have admired her for so long. I knew she had it to surprise everyone with her acting. 

But props to the director and all invoived in the show. Everything was laid out perfectly. The casting whoever did it is a genius. The younger cast just laid the bare bones of the story and ran away with it. The subject matter is very controversial but it does happen. Let us hope that not all adults will turn a blind eye when it really does happen. 

Claps and bravos to the cast you are all so good. You deserve the attention and acclaim. Show we look forward to seeing how this will all play out. 

More reactions later I am busy promoting it to  all to come watch it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4