[Current Drama 2022 & 2024] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

4 minutes ago, lupeace said:

i didnt expect them to work together again this fast 

i wonder what role she was casted for?

she will play kyunghee :2540_meh:

i think she fits the role perfectly

2 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

It is said "KyungHee" for role  who is kyunghee? I didn't read book 

yoseob's wife 

yoseob is izak(the one who married sunja afte she got pregnant) brother

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

It is said "KyungHee" for role  who is kyunghee? I didn't read book 

I find it so annoying that I haven’t read the book :joy:

so who is Kyung Hee? It doesn’t seem like there is a Kyung Hee in the novel. 

5 minutes ago, lupeace said:

yoseob's wife 

yoseob is izak(the one who married sunja afte she got pregnant) brothe

Thanks for the information. So She is Sanju’s sister in law?:joy:

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

I find it so annoying that I haven’t read the book 

so who is Kyung Hee? It doesn’t seem like there is a Kyung Hee in the novel. 

Thanks for the information. So She is Sanju’s sister in law?

yep her sister in law

it seems like they want to cover the whole story in 8 ep? is that even possible

and it seems that they will be casting someone for izak too. we can't be introduced to kyunghee without izak  

Edited by lupeace
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, lupeace said:

yep her sister in law

and it seems that they will be casting someone for izak too. we can't be introduced to kyunghee without izak  

So I wonder who is Hansu's wife, they say cast slowly slowly 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lupeace said:

yep her sister in law

that’s my question too! There are many characters and we only only 8 episodes. Hope each episode will be at least 70 minutes or more.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

So I wonder who is Hansu's wife, they say cast slowly slowly 

they might not show her at all. even in the book she wasnt mentioned verry much

12 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

that’s my question too! There are many characters and we only only 8 episodes. Hope each episode will be at least 70 minutes or more.

the previous works of apple had 50-60 min for each episode :cold_sweat:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, lupeace said:

So I am happy , drama already 8 ep, we won't spend our time for her :lol:

8 minutes ago, lupeace said:

the previous works of apple had 50-60 min for each episode :cold_sweat:

If they cover all story and Yoon Yeo Jung will be old Sunja most probably maybe Hansu might be just 5-6-7 Eps? So maybe LMH's shooting might end early .

• Like 5

202011200828772407_5fb6ffc4f04df.jpg

Jung Eun Chae is confirmed to appear on Apple TV+' Pachinko

Actor Jung Eun-chae has been cast in the drama "Pachinko," which will be produced on Apple TV+.

According to multiple officials on Friday, Jung has recently been cast for "Pachinko" and is preparing for her work. With this, Jung Eun-chae will enter the U.S. market in earnest. 

In "Pachinko," Jung plays Kyung-hee. Jung Eun-chae owns an exotic image and has an English-speaking advantage. As she has been active in movies and dramas with her unique and charming atmosphere, expectations are high on what he will show in this film.

"Pachinko" is a drama production of a novel of the same name written by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, and was selected as the "Book of the Year" by the New York Times in 2017. 

In particular, "Pachinko" is known to have cast actors Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jung, drawing much attention. Jung was reunited with actor Lee Min-ho after the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch."

"Pachinko" will feature eight episodes of an individual's story penetrated by history through four generations of Korean immigrant family epic stories. 

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111477049

• Like 7
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, CarolynH said:

I'm (still -lol) only halfway through the book, and so far, there's only one scene with Hansu that would be 18+ category.  I think it would be relatively easy not to show that particular scene.  But that being said, for me personally, if the decision is to shoot the 18+ scene, I know that is actor LMH, and not LMH, so it wouldn't bother me.  But, I do acknowledge what you are saying @Serene Tales.  And, remember also that LMH didn't write that scene, Min jin Lee wrote it.  

She wrote the + 18 scene :joy:

• Like 3

846594_573897_738.jpg

Jung Eun-chae makes her Hollywood debut with Apple TV+ drama 'Pachinko'

Reunited with Lee Min-ho following 'The King: Eternal Monarch'

The news that actress Jung Eun-chae will appear in the drama "Pachinko," which will be produced on Apple TV+ (Apple TV+) in the U.S., is drawing attention.

According to a media report on Friday, Jung Eun-chae has recently confirmed casting for "Pachinko" and is preparing for the work.

Jung Eun-chae, who will play Kyung-hee, will debut in Hollywood after Lee Min-ho, who is set to play Hansu. In addition, following "The King: Eternal Monarch," she will be working with Lee again.

"Pachinko" is a novel that captures the miserable lives of ethnic Koreans in Japan (Zainichi), and was nominated for the 2019 National Book Award.

"Pachinko," which will be produced in a total of eight episodes, and the cast include So Ji-Arai, Minami Kaho, Anna Sawai, Kim Min-ha and Korean-American actor Jin Ha.

Upon hearing this, netizens responded, "I thought it was Kyung-hee, but it was real," "I'm looking forward to the acting of Jung Eun-chae," "She's working with Lee Min-ho again," and "I'm curious about the original one."

Jeong Eun-chae (real name Jeong Sol-mi), who was born in 1986, made her debut in the 2010 film "Haunters."

She made her debut as an actor after returning from studying at the Central Saint Martins College of Arts, a fashion school in the U.K. She has been active in movies such as "Nobody's Daughter Haewon," "The King," and "The Table," as well as dramas such as "Dr. Frost" and "The Guest."

Jung Eun-chae, who was also the DJ of "FM Movie Music Jung Eun Chae," is also known as the cousin of rapper King Chimain.

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=846594

• Like 7

It will be interesting to see JEC as Kyung Hee, a total 180 from the PM in TKEM.  I'm now reading part 3 and it seems that Mozasu and his family plays a big role toward the end.  Hansu is still around.  I hope LMH is the only Hansu; I'm curious to see how they will age him.  

• Like 9
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

On 11/19/2020 at 5:18 AM, Edgar Pordwed said:

This book club holds monthly reading challenges and Pachinko is the book of the month. Theres a discussion of the book on Facebook and also this discussion on 29th November.

I'm interested in this, particularly what people think of Hansu.  

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 5

On 11/16/2020 at 11:05 PM, syntyche said:

This adult scene is an interesting, and quite polarizing topic indeed. 

To put things into perspective, I'd like to think about Gangnam Blues. The theme of this movie is quite different from most dramas that LMH has done. Some of his fans, who are used to seeing his wholesome image in previous dramas, may not choose this as their cup of tea. While others regard this as a breath of fresh air, a challenge for LMH to showcase his potential as a versatile actor.

As we know, LMH had an adult scene here that was decided on to be deleted. I remember seeing a GB press conference where LMH was teased by the PD that he should have made a love scene for him, "Frozen Flower" style. "Frozen Flower" has love scenes that are even more intense than Western films. While LMH just laughed it off, the audience in attendance strongly disagreed.

I myself watch a wide range of genre of shows, from Korean, to Asian to Western films. GB for me is a film that exhibits what LMH can do when challenged to portray a role that is out of his comfort zone. Without the adult scene, the storytelling of the film still worked for me. Had that scene been included, I'd still watch it, and as I've seen various takes on adult scenes, from suggestive to explicit, I'd probably regard it as an art of expression of the director/production, and would still see GB as one of LMH's exceptional works.

On the other hand, public reception is another thing. I remember a recent kdrama shown in a local station, where some went as far as asking for its cancelation due to its sexual overtones involving a minor. As Pachinko, that drama was also based on a previous work which called for such overtones (and wasn't Sunja also a minor when she met Hansu?)

Well, Pachinko would be shown on Apple TV+, a US-based platform that has a more liberal take on adult themes. But Apple TV+ is aiming to enter the Korean market and release Pachinko. And that is where the possible conflict lies - will they take on the conservative route in consideration of the nationality of their lead star and traditional Korean values, or will they go by their usual liberal stance on adult themes? 

Yet another conflict is the one that we're having now - public reception. I understand that LMH has a wholesome image, and some would very much want him to maintain that image. While others would want him to take on mature roles and hence are open to the possibility of seeing him in adult scenes. We all have our opinions, and I hope that these are taken into consideration by LMH's team (Any MYM lurkers here? :lol:) I guess it boils down to what image and career path LMH wants to take in the future. And of course the Pachinko production which ultimately decides on what and what not to show. Until then, it's still a long waiting process for us. And there would definitely be another round of discussion when the scene is finally shown (or not).

Hansu is definitely a interesting and not necessarily nice character. Furthermore he had sexual relations with a girl half his age. Some fans will not like that but they have to remember during that period it was acceptable and girls her age are often married to men his age.  If LMH agreed to do the role, he is definitely moving in a direction different from his usual roles, similar to GB.  Like some, I worry some fans cannot accept it.  However, I feel LMH wants to evolve and do serious acting, he might even do a sexual scene that might not be as extreme as Kim Rae Won in GB but somewhere in between which might shock his young fans.  However, what ever he does, I am fine with it and I will not shut my eyes or skip like @Nikaa94.  I will definitely watch :joy:

Further more since it is an American series, you can expect more + 18, unless it is specifically made for PG 13.  Depends on where they want to go.  However, whatever it is, I think LMH is ready to do it.  I will support his choice.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:54 AM, Anagha said:

Yeah!

It’s not just about me. There are a lot more fans than you may even think who will be uncomfortable watching him do adult scenes. I am scared if he will lose some of those fans. I want him to be loved by everyone. But of course we are just fans. We can only cheer for whatever role he takes up. 
And I will love him no matter what!
Looking forward to watch his wonderful performance in Pachinko ( without adult scenes. Uggh:tounge_wink::tired:

Fighting! 

:thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

I'm interested in this, particularly what people think of Hansu.  

Will you join the discussion?

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Jung Eun Chae Follow Lee Min Ho In Apple TV Serial, Pachinko

bG9jYWw6Ly8vcHVibGlzaGVycy8yMDM2OS8yMDIw

JAKARTA - Actress Jung Eun Chae is confirmed to be joining the Apple TV series, Pachinko. Previously, Lee Min Ho's name was the first actor to star in this series.

Today, Friday, November 20, KeyEast, Jung Eun Chae's agency announced that the actress is preparing to shoot for Pachinko. Jung Eun Chae will portray the character Kyunghee.

Previously, Jung Eun Chae and Lee Min Ho were brought together through the Korean drama The King: Eternal Monarch. This announcement also made fans of The King enthusiastic about the reunion of the players.

Pachinko is a television series adapted from the book of the same name by Lee Min Jin. The book itself was selected as the New York Times' Book of the Year in 2017.

Pachinko tells of four generations of Korean immigrant families. The story will begin with the story of the forbidden love that Hansu (played by Lee Min Ho) experiences and culminate in a battle between Korea, Japan and America.

Apart from Lee Min Ho and Jung Eun Chae, Pachinko stars Anna Sawai, Kim Minha, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami, Yoon Yeo-jung, and many others. The series will have Korean, Japanese, and English.

Pachinko filming will take place in South Korea as well as several scenes in Canada.

https://voi.id/en/lifestyle/20369/jung-eun-chae-follow-lee-min-ho-in-apple-tv-serial-pachinko

Lee Min Ho and Jung Eun Chae to reunite in new global drama “Pachinko”

Actor Lee Min Ho and actress Jung Eun Chae will be reunited in a global drama “Pachinko.”

photogrid_1605843192338.jpg?w=780

Image from Netflix

Keyeast Entertainment confirmed on November 20 that actress Jung Eun Jae will join Lee Min Ho and Yoon Yeo Jung in the said upcoming drama.

“Pachinko” is based on a novel that tells the story of a Korean family who immigrate to Japan.
In 2017, the best selling novel book of the Korean- American author Lee Min Jin bagged an award as it held as Book of the Year by The New York Times.
Jung Eun Chae will portray the role of Kyung Hee while Lee Min Ho takes the role of Hansu, a rich powerful opportunist merchant yet mysterious.
Earlier this year when Lee Min Ho and Jung Eun Chae previously worked together in tvn’s The King: Eternal Monarch as King Lee Gon and Prime Minister Koo Soo Ryeong.
“Pachinko” will be in total of eight episodes and is produced in three languages including Korean, Japanese and English.

https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/11/20/lee-min-ho-and-jung-eun-chae-to-reunite-in-new-global-drama-pachinko/

Jung Eun Chae joins `` Pachinko '' with Lee Min Ho

jung-eun-chae.png

Actress Jung Eun Chae will be joining the new Apple TV series Pachinko, which will also feature her former co-star Lee Min Ho in The King: Eternal Monarch.

On November 20 KST, a spokesman for Jung Eun Chae's agency KeyEast Entertainment told South Korean newspaper Star News, “Jung Eun Chae has been cast for the role in 'Pachinko.' She's preparing for the role of Kyung Hee. "

"Pachinko" is a drama based on the bestselling book of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min Jin. Through epic narratives of Korean immigrant families spanning four generations.

The story of a person in history will be recorded in eight large-scale episodes, ranging from locations in Korea to filming overseas such as Canada.

The series is a product of Media Reds and Su Hugh, the author of the films Terror and Murder, who is involved in the overall production.

https://kpoplat.com/2020/11/19/jung-eun-chae-se-une-a-pachinko-junto-a-lee-min-ho/

Pachinko: Jung Eun Chae and Lee Min Ho reunite in Apple TV + drama - Peru news

Spoiler

scale_1200

The two stars of The King Eternal Monarch will meet again on television. This is Jung Eun Chae and Lee Min Ho from the cast of the drama "Pachinko," produced by Apple TV +.

On November 20 (KST), the Busan-based actress confirmed through her agency KeyEast that she is joining an adaptation of Korean-American bestselling writer Min Jin Lee.

Her character will be Kyung Hee, Yoseob's wife and Sunji's daughter-in-law, who will help her when the latter arrives in Japan. Both characters will develop a friendship that will last for years.

Kim Min Ha and Lee Min Ho are part of the Pachinko cast.

The cast, confirmed in October, indicated that Sunja (in her youth version) will be playing Kim Min Ha and Lee Min Ho will take on the role of Ko Hansu.

Given this news, this will be the third time Lee Min Ho and Jung Eun Chae have worked together on the same project. The first case was for an advertisement for Cantata in 2010, where they featured a couple in love.

Lee Min Ho and Jung Eun Chae

However, his last work was The King Eternal Monarch. Jung Eun Chae played one of the antagonistic roles and was known for her expressive ability as the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Korea.

Pachinko, represented by representatives of different nationalities, will be broadcast with dialogues in three languages: Korean, English and Japanese. This is due to the characters' journey from South Korea to Japan and their final migration to the United States. All events take place between 1910 and 1989. Jung Eun Cha speaks fluent English since she studied in London for eight years.

Kyung Hee, Sunja and Hansu in Pachinko

This is some general data from Min Jin Li's book to understand what the interaction of the above mentioned characters will be like.

According to the original book's narration, Hansu is romantically involved with Sunja, but leaves her after she becomes pregnant. It is there that the girl marries another man, Isak, in order to give her son a last name. While traveling with Isak to Japan, Sunja meets Kyunghee, "beautiful and kind-hearted," with whom she will work to support her family.

Translation from spanish google

https://noticiasporelmundo.com/peru/pachinko-jung-eun-chae-y-lee-min-ho-se-reuniran-en-drama-de-apple-tv-noticias-peru

Edited by MinLyn
Please put more than 3 images in spoiler tags. Thanks.
  • Like 2

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=122308037931370&story_fbid=1645382618957230

126055579_1645382432290582_1913691821922

125988819_1645382498957242_6036999811249

Spoiler

125998740_1645382542290571_3808790845789

Impact of the growing OTT market on participants

While Netflix, an online streaming service, maintains its dominance in the domestic OTT (Over The Top / Online Video Service) marketplace, Kakao TV and Apple TV both showcase bold dramas of their own, such as Kingdom and Human Class. Dreams of a "second Netflix" and presents new works. This is the reason for the birth of new works due to the expansion of the OTT market and the workload of actors.

First, Yoon Yeo Jung and Lee Min Ho will take the next step in the Apple TV Plus drama Pachinko (directed by Kogonada, Justin and screenplay by Suhyo). Based on the bestselling book of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min Jin, Pachinko contains the history of a family of Korean immigrants for four generations in an eight-part book.

It is gaining attention as a global project bringing together Korean, Japanese and American actors and film crews. Producer of the production company Media Reds, Soo Hugh, author of Terror, participates as lead writer, general producer and showrunner. In addition, director Kogonada and former director Justin direct each of the four parts. The timing of the disclosure has not yet been determined.

In the play, Yoon Yeo Jung plays the main character Song Ja and Lee Min Ho, the merchant Han Soo. In addition, Eunje Jung has confirmed the role of Kyunghee, and after SBS "The King: Lord of Eternity", he again gathers expectations in harmony with Lee Min Ho ...

The expansion of the OTT market is leading to a leadership change in the drama that has taken place in existing terrestrial and cable networks. Not only Netflix, but latecomers like Kakao TV and Apple TV, they create and distribute their own dramas, and the OTT market comes out ahead. While the audience ratings for terrestrial, cable, and feature-length series have been showing a steady decline, Netflix's record earnings in October show this trend clearly.

As new OTT platforms such as Kakao TV and Apple TV drive the production of in-house drama, actors can showcase a wide variety of action across a wider range of works.
In addition, the OTT platform represents a great opportunity to more easily promote the true value of Korean actors overseas. With Netflix providing services in over 190 countries, actors can make their mark around the world without having to fly if they appear in Netflix dramas.

As the online streaming service has revived after Corona 19, the actors' OTT activities are expected to continue. Interest and expectations are gathering for what the actors will show in their own OTT drama, which spares no trouble or investment.

Translation from Korean Google

http://www.sisaweek.com/news/curationView.html?idxno=139408

Edited by MinLyn
Please put more than 3 images (including embedded tweets) in spoiler tags. Thanks.
  • Like 4

https://www.nytimes.com/article/top-book-lists.html

The 10 Best Books Through Time

Each fall, the editors of the Times Book Review select the best fiction and nonfiction titles of the year. Our editors read, nominate, discuss, and debate the merits of each year’s books, working together to land upon our list. The practice of editors sharing their picks of the year dates nearly back to the beginning of the Book Review in October 1896. But over the years, that list has taken many different names and forms. Now, we call this list the “Ten Best Books” and have done so since 2004. We hope you’ll enjoy, and perhaps find inspiration in, the Best Books of years past.

FICTION

AUTUMN By Ali Smith. EXIT WEST By Mohsin Hamid. PACHINKO By Min Jin Lee. THE POWER By Naomi Alderman. SING, UNBURIED, SING By Jesmyn Ward.

NONFICTION

THE EVOLUTION OF BEAUTY: How Darwin’s Forgotten Theory of Mate Choice Shapes the Animal World — and Us By Richard O. Prum. GRANT By Ron Chernow. LOCKING UP OUR OWN: Crime and Punishment in Black America By James Forman Jr. PRAIRIE FIRES: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder By Caroline Fraser. PRIESTDADDY By Patricia Lockwood.

@inatana, welcome to the thread! We're getting excited for Pachinko!

• Like 2

Jung Eun Chae and Lee Min Ho to reunite in Apple TV + drama Pachinko

RJVEXMVJMVCZBPASZEUVTQORWA.jpg

This would be the third project that Lee Min Ho has worked on with Jung Eun Chae. The last was the drama The King Eternal Monarch, aired this 2020.

Two stars of The King Eternal Monarch will meet again on television. They are Jung Eun Chae and Lee Min Ho as part of the cast of the drama Pachinko produced by Apple TV+.

On November 20 (KST), the Busan-born actress confirmed through her agency KeyEast that she is joining the adaptation of the best-selling Korean-American writer Min Jin Lee.

Her character will be that of Kyung Hee , Yoseob's wife and Sunja's sister-in-law, whom she will help when the latter arrives in Japan. Both characters will develop a friendship that will last for many years.

With this news, it would be the third time that Lee Min Ho and Jung Eun Chae would work together in the same project. The first occasion was for an advertisement in 2010, for the Cantata cafe , where they represented a couple in love.

RTCE2TNEEZDIXJPKWDSDFPPFEQ.jpg

However, in her most recent work, "The King: Eternal Monarch," Jung Eun Chae played one of the antagonistic roles and was noted for her expressive ability as the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Korea.

XEEDGBLDBVH7XKPBSD7GIHNS3Q.JPG

In the cast confirmed in October, it was detailed that teenage Sunja will be played by Kim Min Ha, while Lee Min Ho takes on the role of Koh Hansu.

Pachinko, having a cast of various nationalities, will be broadcast with dialogues in three languages: Korean, English, and Japanese. This is in relation to the journey that the characters follow from South Korea to Japan and their final migration to the United States. All the events take place between 1910 to 1989. Jung Eun Chae is fluent in English from having studied eight years in London.

Kyung Hee, Sunja and Hansu in Pachinko

These are some general data from Min Jin Lee's book to understand what the interaction of the characters mentioned above will be like.

According to the narration of the original book, Hansu has a romantic relationship with Sunja, but leaves her after she becomes pregnant. It is there that the young woman marries another person, Isak, to give her son a surname. While traveling with Isak to Japan, Sunja gets to meet Kyunghee, "beautiful and kind-hearted," with whom she will work to support her family.

https://larepublica.pe/cultura-asiatica/2020/11/19/pachinko-jung-eun-chae-y-lee-min-ho-se-reuniran-en-drama-de-apple-tv/

• Like 1
  • Love 2