[Taiwanese Drama 2019] Before We Get Married 我們不能是朋友

0ly40

8 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

ZW finally gave 321 a piece of her mind about what makes a relationship. U go girl! 

ZY is trying hard to get ZW married off as soon as possible so that KH will come back to her. That girl needs a psychiatrist. 

in some ways, it is really frustrating to watch weiwei. even though she yelled a little at 321, it still wasn't enough. she should have really told him off so that he got the sense of how fragile their relationship is. instead, he will come back and wonder how this affair has happened because he never really heard how unhappy she was. she really should have conveyed her frustration to his dad but instead caves in. so 321 goes to shanghai with the impression that she will get over it because she always does. so both 321 and his dad know that she is a pushover. :crazy:

weiwei is also a real idiot to take on ziyuan as wedding planner. she has 321 the biggest miser as her fiance and she has ziyuan as wedding planner? even under normal circumstances, that would be a disaster in the making because ziyuan is going to recommend pricey choices. and when she goes to cancel the booking, she allows ziyuan to keep being the planner even though the wedding has been postponed. felt like giving a whack on the head to weiwei. she just shows her frustration is keuhan who isn't her boyfriend, fiance or anything -- stupid girl. hope we don't keep having this rinse-wash-repeat of weiwei because she is just being annoying now. :wacko:

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes please keep being selfish HY and pushing WW away cos you're only pushing her right into KH's arms so thank you :D

Next week looks like the episode we've all been waiting for! So much tension and chemistry between the two, I cannot wait for another epic kiss! :D

I love that WW didn't just give KH the confidence to confront ZY and finally break up with her once and for all but that he in turn has also given WW the confidence to confront her own issues with HY. I am pretty certain that WW was content in marrying HY but I don't think she would have actually voiced her opinions and frustrations to HY so often if KH hadn't given her that confidence. This in turn is starting to make her realise that this life might not be what she wanted after all. 

ZY is just irrelevant, she is so desperate for WW to get married because she thinks removing WW will give her another chance with KH but he's made it pretty apparent that he no longer has feelings for her.. I felt a bit sorry for her before but now I just think find her frustrating and think she should just move on with her life. 10 years in a relationship is a long time but it doesn't seem as though there has been love in the relationship for a long time.

I love every scene with HF, her loyalty, confidence and honesty is so great to watch but the best thing about her is that she doesn't care what anyone thinks of her. WW needs to take some of her best friends advice and put herself and her happiness first once and for all!

So, let's discuss episode 8 and what it means moving forward with this drama.

Oh, what a tangled web Wei Wei has weaved. Look, I have seen the comments everywhere, and most viewers just want Wei Wei to let her guard down and get it on with Ke Huan. The problem is Wei Wei is loyal, she is not inherently a cheater, so it is out of character for her to just give in to passion, even when it is as tempting as Ke Huan.

Change often helps people either move forward or let go. The change here started with WW being pursued by KH and you can tell from the first episode, she started questioning the direction of her relationship. WW, like a lot of women who are people pleasers had been floating along with 321 because she wasn't focused on him or herself for that matter, she was focused on the end goals. She was focused on them being able to find a house they could afford. So here she is loyal, committed and agreeable cutting corners, penny pinching AND keeping EVERYTHING a secret. I mean even her best friend did not know she was dating him and for THREE YEARS!

It appears to me that this relationship has been a burden since day one, but WW has not complained, she has swallowed and kept everything to herself. Had she at least told her friend before, KF would've talked some sense to her, but the universe has a way of waking people up. In some cultures, women are trained to be agreeable, to go along with, to put so much trust in a man, to not question things and to be loyal to a fault. WW is just doing what she believes is right, the problem is she is miserable. Like a blessing in disguise, KH has swooped in and has shown her very little things that expose her relationship for the sham that it is. He calls her. He tells her that he misses her. He picks her up when she has to work late. He gives her an umbrella when it is raining. He makes sure she gets a good meal to eat. He challenges her so that she will be happy. It really is sad that her own fiance does none of these things.

This is a relationship for convenience. 321 needs a person to enable his plan with and preferably someone who is obedient, and WW fits the bill. Yes, it is selfish and conniving and his father is well aware of it as well, but his father knows a woman as sweet and loyal as WW comes once in a lifetime. WW needs to practice some self-love and mental well-being. Stop putting others before herself and go after her own happiness. This idiot has begun lying to her about work and even took things a step further and took on (at least) a six-month assignment without even so much as discussing it with her. He took it upon himself to postpone the wedding and just assumed that WW would once again, get over it. She is setting herself up for complete misery. This man is not ready for a long-term commitment, he doesn't even know how to be in a relationship. She needs to take a cue from KF and live her life the way that she wants and just be happy. Her current misery is self-inflicted.

Patiently, or should I say impatiently, waiting for the weekend so I can watch WW succumb to KH! :D 

I agree that some of WW's current misery is self inflicted but I empathise with her because it's so easy to continue on in a relationship when it's become a routine. I have no doubts that WW was in love and devoted to HY in the beginning and basically up until she met KH. She has put HY first since the start and because he is so manipulative, he was able to convince her that his lifelong plan was in fact their plan, from the very beginning. I'm still shocked that KF didn't know WW was in a relationship for so long but WW isn't exactly an open person and perhaps she wasn't ready for others to question her relationship. She's not clueless and you could tell she was unhappy about some of the stupid arrangements HY had created but maybe she thought it might be easier to introduce HY to her friends when they met their first goal because then there would be some reasoning behind the fact that no one knew she was in a realtionship for so long. WW needed someone to give her a push to confront her doubts head on and allow her to really realise that the lifelong plan she had worked so hard to accomplish, might not have been her plan all along. This in turn has also given her the courage to not give in everytime HY or his dad try to manipulate and guilt trip her again. I actually think she would have continued on in this relationship had KH not found her diary and questioned the lifelong plan.

I actually don't think HY is an outright bad guy, he is just ignorant and selfish. He'll likely end up with his boss because she is able to give him what he needs in terms of financial security and status. There were already signs that status is appealing to him (e.g. when he saw KH's car, when he first visited KH's apartment etc.) and it's absolutely not a bad thing at all to have ambitions and goals but his own needs are clearly more important than his loving and devoted partners. I'm actually suspicious about whether he has cheated on WW already because he was acting quiet suspicious after him and his colleagues went out for celebration drinks.. 

Anyways I really like WW's character. I find her realistic and relatable which is one of the reasons why I think this drama is so addictive. She has stood her ground staying true to herself but is slowly opening up to KH because of the way he treats her. For a drama that is only 13 episodes long, I think it's done a great job at developing both the relationship and our two leads. KH was a bit overbearing at the start to WW but I actually didn't mind it too much because it reminded me of when you're younger and have a big crush on someone, sometimes you found yourself wanting to constantly be around that person without realising. He was in such a long draining relationship and WW appears to be the first person who caught his attention since then so it kind of made sense that he wanted to be around her so often. I definitely didn't agree with him wanting WW to sleep with him to compensate for him offering to sell his apartment for a cheaper price and was so glad that he didn't go through with it in the end. He still ended up selling his apartment at a cheaper place which I think was a good character growth moment in showing that he wasn't as superficial as she thought. He definitely enjoys teasing and flirting with WW to get a reaction out of her that's for sure. I like that he's gained the courage to try and live his life for himself for once too. Now all we need is for them to decide to live their lives together :D

Edit: Sorry for the long post! Always great when a drama makes you analyze different aspects of it! :blush:

321 has that nice guy persona, but is really selfish and only about himself. The lack of communication with WW and thinking his decisions are for the best for both means a really unheathly relationship. WW would have just went along for the ride, but now lots of second thoughts.

Also enjoy her best friend, she doesn't care what others think of her. 

On 7/23/2019 at 5:29 AM, J13 said:

KH was a bit overbearing at the start to WW but I actually didn't mind it too much because it reminded me of when you're younger and have a big crush on someone, sometimes you found yourself wanting to constantly be around that person without realising. He was in such a long draining relationship and WW appears to be the first person who caught his attention since then so it kind of made sense that he wanted to be around her so often.

She too opened his eyes that he was just enabling his own misery. Clearly, he couldn't get past the abortion and honestly he also couldn't get past the fact that ZY is very controlling. She would smile at him and play the perfect Stepford wife to his face and then behind his back, establish connections and manipulate people to put herself in position to be his wife. WW was disagreeable with KH from the very beginning. She didn't laugh and act cute with him, she was honest and wasn't afraid to speak her mind, which KH found refreshing. Now, if only she could be more like that with 321, she would be on the road to her personal happiness.

Thank you for sharing this weeks previews @Table122000 :blush:

Ok so judging by the previews, this week's episode is yet another tease for us lol looking forward to the kiss though! WW's feelings for KH are definitely growing but to hide this, she seems to be using the 'good friends' term. KH's hug was so meaningful, you can really feel his emotions when he holds her close. He is really continuing to grow and be a real source of support and encouragement to WW.

I actually hope we get to see WW be a little jealous of ZY and KH. I think she's awesome to have stood her ground pretty well and remained as loyal to her relationship as possible but it's clear her feelings for KH are growing so it would be entertaining to watch her express a little jealousy :D 

Looks like HY is continuing to be selfish too but good riddance, hopefully this continues so WW can keep opening her eyes to his rubbish and leaves him soon!

To be honest this is only show/drama that i got this fear or worry from anticipation and excitement. It's like you already know what is going to happen and we know it is wrong (as a third person viewer seeing infidelity). It's like I'm happy seeing something wrong.

I'm no fan of infidelity, I just like good stories. Props to the production team for making this drama show a gem.

Yay it's finally the weekend which means I'll get to watch the next subbed episode soon! :D

19 hours ago, nasaan ka Alex? said:

To be honest this is only show/drama that i got this fear or worry from anticipation and excitement. It's like you already know what is going to happen and we know it is wrong (as a third person viewer seeing infidelity). It's like I'm happy seeing something wrong.

I'm no fan of infidelity, I just like good stories. Props to the production team for making this drama show a gem.

Yeah it's odd right, while I definitely don't condone cheating, this drama is doing a good job at making me cheer on WW and KH.

I think as we get older as well, we become more open minded about people's choices. While I always think that if someone isn't happy in a relationship then they should just leave, sometimes it isn't that easy. This drama has done a great job at letting us see things from all point of views.

Not long to go now until the next subbed episode!!

I'm kind of glad with the way things ended up happening in epi 09, but I really wish the plot had gotten here sooner. 

I'm also glad KH is not being all aggressive like before. From what I see he's not pushing her into doing something she is not yet ready for. He is just making her feel so looked after that she's getting used to him. I don't think that he planned it or anything....to me it feels more like he just misses her too much and wants to hang around her all the time. Like when you like someone you always want to be in their company....even as just friends or colleagues.  JL did a great job with his expressions in one of the scenes where he has to subdue his sadness and his love for her and put on a smile and greet her as the friend that she wants him to be.

About 321.... during one of his calls to WW....was there someone in his bed? It looked like that to me. If its true then what a big fat hypocrite he is....he goes and does whatever the hell he wants and expects WW to sit around and wait for him at home?? I'm happy WW went back to stay with KF....that house has bad juju....glad she's out of there.

Oh my goodness...it's been years since I last posted on soompi. Anyway, this drama is my current crack addiction, and 70% of it is accredited to Jasper Liu's swoonworthy performance as CKH. It's been almost a decade since I was this obsessed with an Taiwan drama. 

I think the premise has resonated well with someone like me, an older viewer, because it makes you question what one values and what is essential in any romantic/long term relationship- communication, respect, affection. All four leads practice those traits or values those qualities differently. Drama isn't necessarily about infidelity or adultery, but whether the choices you make or continue to make in your relationship, are they healthy and logical and for the betterment of you and your significant other. Being selfish is human nature and we shouldn't criticize, but it's the degree or level of selfishness that could manifest into serious problems. 

EP 10 ( I think) Preview Clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1UPVtqJuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cEyPKrx8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_pBjuM4mA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh53vJXtCkI

Hmm... looks like next episode WW will break up with 321, but not before she invites CKH as her "good friend" to join her and WW Dad for some kind of fishing trip?

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Table122000 said:

EP 10 ( I think) Preview Clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1UPVtqJuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cEyPKrx8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_pBjuM4mA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh53vJXtCkI

Hmm... looks like next episode WW will break up with 321, but not before she invites CKH as her "good friend" to join her and WW Dad for some kind of fishing trip?

Reveal hidden contents

That's Chairman Wang, not WW's dad. He's Da Wei's uncle and who the gang went to meet in YiLan. And I'm almost certain this scene is after WW had broken up with 321 and right before WW and KH begin to date, for real. 

Archived