[Drama 2018] Secret Mother 시크릿마더

larus

The cast having a gathering, courtesy of Oh Yeon Ah. Kim Jae Hwa is love. Kim Jae Hwa is life.

And Seo Young Hee arriving.

@triplem That's why I said in the previous page that unless he has been secretly investigating and was afraid to ruin that, he's going straight to hell. There's no excuse for not telling her for so long other than not putting her and Min Joon in danger. If it's anything less altruistic, he deserves a nice shoveling.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Orion  I’m also tickled by all the guesses people are making about the store content. I’ll be so mad , it there’s nothing  of significance. 

Somebody gif-ed it :tongue:

Didn’t realise there were so many shippers for this “ahjumma romance”  out there. :D

Spoiler

By the way the ratings have been rising steadily ! Yay ! 

Spoiler

@triplem I ship Yoon Jin with sanity and a life free of terrible men and terrible social network by the end of this, possibly with Eun Yeong, if their friendship lasts. But yeah, Jeong Wan really is our last man standing, isn't he? The entirety of our expectations from the male species in this series rests on him now, great reversals aside. He's got quite the responsibility on his shoulders! :lol:

I've been tweeting so much about it, but I forgot to check the hashtag this week. The mystery is ruining everyone's blood pressure, I see. Good good.

Just now, Orion said:

@triplem I ship Yoon Jin with sanity and a life free of terrible men and terrible social network by the end of this, possibly with Eun Yeong, if their friendship lasts. But yeah, Jeong Wan really is our last man standing, isn't he? The entirety of our expectations from the male species in this series rests on him now, great reversals aside. He's got quite the responsibility on his shoulders! :lol:

I've been tweeting so much about it, but I forgot to check the hashtag this week. The mystery is ruining everyone's blood pressure, I see. Good good.

Personally I am not expecting romance.  Yes to YJ getting back on her own two feet . A friendship btwn the two female leads will be great. But more importantly , away from HJY and his awful mother. Is it  even possible for husband & wife to reconcile?

35 minutes ago, triplem said:

Personally I am not expecting romance.  Yes to YJ getting back on her own two feet . A friendship btwn the two female leads will be great. But more importantly , away from HJY and his awful mother. Is it  even possible for husband & wife to reconcile?

Only if larus is right and he has been a super secret double agent, investigating the whole thing while trying not to ruin either side of his family before he is sure. Though that doesn't explain why his mother is so comfortable discussing her terrible plans with him. Unless his entire marriage has been a balancing act between letting his mom greedily dream and trying to keep his own new family going.

It really depends what the writer will choose, because they've set the stage for many options. He has been doing illegal things, that's for sure. Also immoral ones, even if his motivation isn't clear. They've also stressed his suspicion over something (Jeong Wan with the soju), and they did throw it out there that he focused very hard on becoming superintendent during the year after Min Ji's passing. The brilliant thing here is that he could have done all of this to cover his own fine posterior and his mother's, or he could have done it to have enough power to investigate. We don't know if his mother has connections more powerful than him yet. Doesn't seem like it though.

So my guess is nope, there's no hope for this marriage. There's so much dirt on him, and he has treated Yoon Jin so badly with all the lies, that it would have to be a major reversal of everything being one huge misunderstanding. Which I'd love, of course, because what a well-planned twist that would be, but probably too ambitious for this. Hopefully he hasn't murdered anyone, so that Min Joon can at least have his father, terrible as he may be.

Well, it looks like we're in for prolonged suffering. A ton of drama cancellations this week due to the World Cup and the NK - US Summit. "Secret Mother" is included. So we'll be seeing it again on the 23rd. On the other hand, it gives them more time to film and hopefully rest, because the poor staff are no doubt suffering a lot.

Source: Segye

Edit: Oh, it's out on Soompi as well.

43 minutes ago, Orion said:

Well, it looks like we're in for prolonged suffering. A ton of drama cancellations this week due to the World Cup and the NK - US Summit. "Secret Mother" is included. So we'll be seeing it again on the 23rd. On the other hand, it gives them more time to film and hopefully rest, because the poor staff are no doubt suffering a lot.

I hate it when I read the news. We have to wait another week! The only consolation is like you said, they have time to film a little in advance and not be in a hurry all the time.

Loved the pictures with Secret Mother team. Thanks again.

Shows Canceled This Week Due To North Korea-U.S. Summit, Elections, And World Cup

Saturday, June 16

“Secret Mother,” “Goodbye to Goodbye,” and “Immortal Songs” are also canceled due to the 2018 FIFA World Cup and will air the following week.

Source (1) (2)

https://www.soompi.com/2018/06/11/shows-canceled-week-due-north-korea-u-s-summit-elections-world-cup/

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2018] Secret Mother 시크릿마더 - Saturdays @ 20:55 PM KST
10 hours ago, larus said:

Saturday, June 16

“Secret Mother,” “Goodbye to Goodbye,” and “Immortal Songs” are also canceled due to the 2018 FIFA World Cup and will air the following week.

Source (1) (2)

https://www.soompi.com/2018/06/11/shows-canceled-week-due-north-korea-u-s-summit-elections-world-cup/

I was afraid of this and kept hoping that it would not come true until it is confirmed. I don't know why but these pictures have already drawn to me a further picture of a wrap-up party which is unavoidable in couple of weeks. As @Orion said, the crew now might have more time to comfortably film and rest more, but just don't forget to update IG lol. If this was not an illusion, I would say Song Yoon Ah bears a more look of haggard and gaunt face in last two episodes. Even though she completely fits into the situations of her character, it's grown concerns in me of her being skinnier.

Anyway, in despite of the cancellation, SBS please update the Preview as schedule lol. Don't skip until next week.

Regarding Jae Yeol, (I've realized that while Kim Eun Young is the name that is mentioned most of the screen time, Jae Yeol becomes a nub throughout the disturbance his family has brought), I totally agree with both of you @larusand @Orion. I still remember my first impression of him was the indeed man with ambition, seriousness, self-discipline and stable. However, walking through the first half portion of the show, his true face now is revealed. In replace of what amazed me in the beginning, he now is just a coward who is running errands around his mother skirt. I don't see any determination or bravery of him. Looking him sneaking around and making excuses, or just merely dodging bullet questions from Yoon Jin is irritating me. I've just seen a supposed-to-be gentleman collapsed and acted irresponsibly. @larus already mentioned about the line where Yoon Jin said their first encounter was just like a perfect picture and now it still is. I'm with you that with the high possibility that even their first confrontation was plotted and set up (Park Seon Ja???). The coincidence might turn out a scheme in the first place. Nonetheless, I also believe despite of his adultery action, he at heart has been loving Yoon Jin. I can say by watching him begging Yoon Jin for the forgiveness as he would apologize all his life. Hmm... He must be condemned for his sins, at the same time I want Yoon Jin to be freed from him.

Some out of scope observations I would love to rewatch lol.

Yoon Jin must have prepared anything for the scenarios might happen even with her own emotion. We can see in this scene she left out her wedding ring. Is it a sign of game-over to Jae Yeol? Usually, women don't wear their rings when they no longer have feelings towards their partners. 

Secret%20Mother%20-%20E10%20-%20OnDemand

Thank you P.D. for some sweet scenes. I wonder (honestly). If Detective Ha had not had any intentions of giving the flash drive to Yoon Jin, he simply could have just told her so. What was running through his mind that he just held out the thing and said he would keep it as an evidence? Lol... to me their interactions are precious no matter what.

I swear I screamed out at this scene and so loved their implicit collaboration. The queen finally found her knight lol. Too much imaginative but his all of sudden appearance and making a perfect sense of protection for her are so satisfying. I would even flip any table I see if their relationship could develop. Lol.. Will you too @triplem??

Spoiler

Finally for a romance prayer, so far since the turmoil and unhappiness occurred, except Min Joon Detective Ha eventually has  made her smile.

Some of you have already talked about it so I just want to illustrate it a little bit more. At this angle, it must be a man but WHO COULD BE? If he is a good guy, why he has to pretend and act creepily and sneakily like that. It just stirs my curiosity.

ahhh i hate it when dramas are cancelled due to live broadcasts of other events lolol. but i think this is not as bad as the olympics period, where dramas' airing schedule get staggered each week... 

this is probably why i stick to cable tv dramas mostly and only a few dramas from mainstream tv channels would attract me..

sigh that means no new episodes of Secret Mother to watch this week T_T

2 hours ago, Melody_06 said:

Some of you have already talked about it so I just want to illustrate it a little bit more. At this angle, it must be a man but WHO COULD BE? If he is a good guy, why he has to pretend and act creepily and sneakily like that. It just stirs my curiosity.

Sneaking around could be explained like Orion said, the guy put the hand on her mouth because there are other people around (that wound be the official explanation, the real one... to make the audience wonder :D) but what is with the cap and mask? Eun Young was at a safe house and Jung Wan would have come freely when he wants because he has the trust of Yoon jin. Unless that`s the disguise the young detective is wearing when he goes investigating by night, I don`t think he is the one who took Eun Young.

2 hours ago, Melody_06 said:

Anyway, in despite of the cancellation, SBS please update the Preview as schedule lol. Don't skip until next week.

Yeah, I vote for that too. The previews are misleading often and does not give us much information but I want to see it anyway. :wink:

58 minutes ago, lsbsg said:

ahhh i hate it when dramas are cancelled due to live broadcasts of other events lolol. but i think this is not as bad as the olympics period, where dramas' airing schedule get staggered each week... 

It is not Olympics but the FIFA World Cup is an important event. Korean loves football and I see that there are competitions schredulled  on Saturdays (June 30, July 7, 14.)  I just hope the time is not similar with the time slot of Secret Mother. If there we are not that lucky,  I wish they will air at least one long episode (two short ones) .

57 minutes ago, larus said:

Sneaking around could be explained like Orion said, the guy put the hand on her mouth because there are other people around (that wound be the official explanation, the real one... to make the audience wonder :D) but what is with the cap and mask? Eun Young was at a safe house and Jung Wan would have come freely when he wants because he has the trust of Yoon jin. Unless that`s the disguise the young detective is wearing when he goes investigating by night, I don`t think he is the one who took Eun Young.

Ha... Detective Ha is a reasonable guess. However, I recall their conversation by the rainbow bridge (I just don't know what it's called lol) I don't think Yoon Jin had ideas of letting him know Eun Young temporary whereabouts, except tipping off that she's now safe with her (wow the way I'm putting words sounds so "womance" :D).

Spoiler

Well, in passing you have brought that up. I wonder what would happen if Eun Young was in Chief Park's hand. Because she's already framed up a fabricated diagnosis of Yoon Jin (I still cannot decipher her underlying scheme of not merely getting Yoon Jin fired under legitimation and formality), it would be dead end for these women. :crazy: ahh I'm so vicious. One more thing, I don't recall whether we have seen Jae Yeol taking the flash drive recording his meeting with Hyoun Joo in the basement.

Also I find it ridiculous when he said he had had no intention in killing Eun Young but snatching the satchel. Well, if he really meant it he would have not hit her to blood at her neck where is the most sensitive or fatal part in a human body. The doctor who was with Park Seon Ja in her visit said it was a miracle and I agree it was true. It is easy to kill someone by cracking his neck tho.

Spoiler

Secret%20Mother%20-%20E09%20-%20OnDemand

1 hour ago, larus said:

It is not Olympics but the FIFA World Cup is an important event. Korean loves football and I see that there are competitions schredulled  on Saturdays (June 30, July 7, 14.)  I just hope the time is not similar with the time slot of Secret Mother. If there we are not that lucky,  I wish they will air at least one long episode (two short ones) .

I think @lsbsgmeant this event (World Cup) is not as bad as Olympics in terms of delaying entertainment shows for weeks. Yes, Olympics is an universal event and has a huge impact on many nations. Its schedule is usually hectic and dense in comparison with WC which is only soccer concern. If it were not you to say it, I would never know the Korean are also into soccer. I thought they were inherently in passion with baseball.

I mean like seriously who cares about football?  Kkkkkk:tongue:

Now , we’ll be left hanging. I’m dying to know the what’s inside the store & who took Lisa kim! 

@Melody_06 Gal, I have no preferences when it comes to a love line between Yoon Jin & mr Detective. It really depends on how it’s tackled . I won’t want it to be a forced love line. Plus she’ll have to sort out her marriage first. But yes he seems to be always coming to her rescue! Mmmmm

2 hours ago, triplem said:

I mean like seriously who cares about football?  Kkkkkk:tongue:

Not me. Imagine if the football matches are scredules just at the time of Secret Mother`s broadcast. I really worry about June 30, July 7 &14 episodes. I am upset that we don`t have to watch this week but they will continue like this....

I am curious if they will release tomorrow the preview for the next week. They should release some new pictures too.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Melody_06 said:

I think @lsbsgmeant this event (World Cup) is not as bad as Olympics in terms of delaying entertainment shows for weeks. Yes, Olympics is an universal event and has a huge impact on many nations. Its schedule is usually hectic and dense in comparison with WC which is only soccer concern. If it were not you to say it, I would never know the Korean are also into soccer. I thought they were inherently in passion with baseball.

Yes I meant exactly that. I know the difference between Olympics and World Cup, but what I wanted to say is that during the Olympics event, all dramas were affected except some cable tv dramas. Like the dramas' schedule were staggered and sometimes it can go up to two weeks where the same drama would not air due to the broadcast schedule for Olympics, :( and ended up the fans had to go to the board to ask them to broadcast the drama for the upcoming week...which they eventually did, by pushing back the airing time to be after the broadcast schedule of Olympics on the same day :| and like the past few years i have a few dramas that had to face the same issue....

which is why I hope (praying hard) that World Cup won't affect Secret Mother's broadcast schedule too much :) while I know that both events are important to South Korea and I respect that, :) i hope it does not affect the production team's filming schedule as well :D

That being said, I hope they release the preview tomorrow >_< i just can't wait anymore ;;; two of my favorite dramas' airing schedule has been affected, please resume back to normal sooon <3

Since we're waiting, I have been going through the series again, and unfortunately for Yoon Jin and Min Joon, it is very likely that Jae Yeol is the only one behind killing Hyeon Joo and Eun Yeong's attempted murder. Unless they're really playing us with some scenes and details, and we just have a lot of coincidences.

Breaking this down into what I'm currently thinking about different characters and what they've done. Walls of text ahead, hidden in spoilers for your emotional and mental well-being. In case it wasn't clear, I'm very into this mystery.  :lol:

- Jae Yeol having killed Hyeon Joo

Spoiler

He has rarely shown great distress, but it always has to do with Jeong Wan's involvement and Kang Hyun Chul more than anything. It's always about the hit-and-run site, and who was there, not about the events before it. I was wondering why he brought the case in from the precinct near the location of the hit-and-run, but perhaps it was because he realized Jeong Wan would snoop anyway, so it's best if he keeps the case close to get to things first.

It seems as if Hyeon Joo's things were moved from her apartment right after the incident, and the orphanage director reacted with fear to why a missing persons report was not filed. She asked about Yoon Jin's husband's job. It means a man from the police may have been trying to erase her traces back then. This would mean that his motivation for worrying over the witness right now is not in order to find Hyeon Joo, but something else.

Jae Yeol was all about monitoring the case and Eun Yeong, but not taking any action, until he heard about a witness to the hit-and-run. He really kicked into gear then. Hyun Chul had his badge and the shoe, and we know that this witness was only present at the scene of the hit-and-run. This means that Jae Yeol and Hyeon Joo were both at the site of the hit-and-run, not just at the parking lot before.

Through everything I've seen, it feels like the way he talks to Yoon Jin after meeting with Hyun Chul could be guilt. He says he was too scared to become emotionally involved in the case out of fear of not looking at it properly and losing everything again. He says he couldn't move forward like he wanted.

Is it possible that he did kill Hyeon Joo (and threw her in that river/lake behind the villa?) thinking she killed Min Ji, but discovered something else through Hyun Chul's memories? That Hyeon Joo didn't do it? Was he afraid of finding that out and realizing he killed an innocent person? I don't think he ran his own child over, he'd have lost his mind fairly quickly if he had, even if it were an accident.

If he has killed Hyeon Joo, it also explains why he's so eager to admit to an affair in front of Yoon Jin in the latest episodes. He's desperate to be seen as a cheater and stop her from looking into it further. The only inconsistency here is that Jae Yeol did not worry over them visiting the villa before. We know he went there because Min Joon forgot his suitcase. But this could just mean that the shed doesn't have anything in it, not that he didn't kill or dispose of Hyeon Joo there.

Unless he doesn't want his presence at the hit-and-run site known for some other reason, unless him paying Hyun Chul was for that evidence only and unless he were not the one who called Hyun Chul before he was arrested, then I think Jae Yeol did something terrible that night and also hired Hyun Chul to kill Eun Yeong.

- Jae Yeol having put a hit on Eun Yeong

Spoiler

@Melody_06 mentioned Hyun Chul knowing his blow would be lethal. I agree. He was clearly instructed to kill her and then take the blame. He got caught by cameras, threw his jacket away where it could be found, and included a receipt to the hospital in it.

I thought Seon Ja could have hired him, but it's Jae Yeol who makes a call right before Hyun Chul is seen calmly waiting for the police, as if he were expecting them. Since he thought back to the money he got from Jae Yeol when asked to reconsider, it does feel like Jae Yeol hired him to kill Eun Yeong.

Jae Yeol is the one annoyed by his mother visiting Eun Yeong. His mother was not worried about a witness to the hit-and-run at all (she didn't react with panic to his existence when Yoon Jin told her), and only got very involved when Hyeon Joo's name came up.

We also know Detective Park (now under Jae Yeol) gathered the entire case file for himself. He also knew about Hyun Chul a month before telling Jae Yeol, I believe. And he's the one Jeong Wan wonders about. About who he doesn't trust.

Maybe the detective doesn't trust Jae Yeol. We also know he owes money, from a phone call he was making, so Detective Park doesn't seem clean himself. I do find it odd that he was trying to take the case from Jeong Wan before Jae Yeol started working there though. So maybe he's working for someone else as well.

- Seon Ja is probably innocent murder-wise

Spoiler

Seon Ja planned Yoon Jin's return and downfall long before Yoon Jin started digging into the case again. She didn't do it as a reaction to her daughter-in-law getting closer to the truth. Was she hoping Se Yeon would drive her to suicide like that other patient? Whatever the case, she just seems to want the hospital.

She did lie to Jae Yeol about her motivation though. He thought she just needed help at the hospital, so he urged Yoon Jin to return. He didn't know the plan to make her insane was in place long before Hyeon Joo's existence was found out. Seon Ja seems worried about Yoon Jin knowing Hyeon Joo, but this is the only element of the case she actually worries over.

Also, when Jae Yeol asks why she's looking into Eun Yeong, she says "Are you asking if I helped her run away?" She could be sincere when she says this. That could be what she would have done, if she could. Pay her off and send her away. She does mention getting rid of her later though, to which Jae Yeol reacts all scandalized. This does confuse me a bit in terms of his guilt.

- Misc observations and thoughts

Spoiler

I love the scene between Min Joon and Yoon Jin where he tells her to hold the doll. I like the thrill we have had during the midpoint episodes, but I miss these quiet moments of character development. I hope the second half won't be constant suspense and power play. I wish to see the characters more. And I hope to see even Seon Ja develop, rather than be a typical power hungry evil woman.

Hit-and-run Location: Namyangju, Villa location: Cheongpyeong. Might be important later on. I also need to hold on to the phone numbers.

Wondering if Se Yeon x Jae Yeol is still a thing. Why did they make that connection and not use it? Perhaps they went with something else instead, or then he'll also board the Yoon Jin as unstable train when his wife starts getting too close to what he has done, if he has done it.

Yoon Jin also mentioned that it's dangerous around the storage. I wonder if that's something Jae Yeol has been telling them. Or the gardener. They seem like a person of interest that we haven't met yet.

The man getting the footage was nurse Choi's man. I wonder why we didn't see his face then. Will he be important down the road? An ally? Could nurse Choi have sent him to grab Eun Yeong? She doesn't seem to know as much or care as much to find out where Yoon Jin took her and send someone though.

Hyeon Joo was struggling at least half a year before the incident. 3-4 suicide attempts? So it wasn't something only last year that triggered it. Either she'd been struggling since Jae Yeol left her many years ago, or he kept having a double life with her until some time before the incident.

We know the name and company of the man with the dashboard cam. He said he had a minor collision with Hyeon Joo's car at the parking lot, so I doubt something major happened there or got caught on camera. Maybe Jae Yeol only dragged Hyeon Joo away or something.

In short, this is very sad for our heroines, even if some of the things are misleading. Unless all of it is, there's no escaping the tragic possibilities.

200.gif

20 hours ago, Orion said:

Since we're waiting, I have been going through the series again, and unfortunately for Yoon Jin and Min Joon, it is very likely that Jae Yeol is the only one behind killing Hyeon Joo and Eun Yeong's attempted murder. Unless they're really playing us with some scenes and details, and we just have a lot of coincidences.

It is a good idea to rewatch the series because the second time we could see with different eyes, knowing a lot of things.

I am curious about Jae Yeol`s police ID, because they showed him buying the evidence. I don`t know how Kang Hyun Chul has so many things (the shoe, the ID). I don`t know why Kang said to Jae Yeol when he came to the hospital,  "Finally we met". It is clear that he know something about Jae Yeol but I still don`t believe Kang is working for Jae Yeol.

When Kang pointed Eun Young as the real culprit for the hit and run accident, it was ovbious that was a part in a bigger part. Park Sun Ja needed this false confession to make her fake video more plausible. She needed Kang`s confession  more than Jae Yeol then.

We still need more information about that night, the time Hyun Joo and Jae Yeol met. I need more evidense to believe that Jae Yeol was behind Eun Young`s attack and behind Hyun joo`s dissaperence. We have circumstantial evidence in both Jae yeol or Park Sun ja`s culpability and I have a subjective view about what is going on. Still... both are in the bad guys side right now.

20 hours ago, Orion said:

It seems as if Hyeon Joo's things were moved from her apartment right after the incident, and the orphanage director reacted with fear to why a missing persons report was not filed.

Who moved her things? I thought the people from the moving company came but they let some things and the keeper of the building put the things in a box and Eun Young have got that box after she came to Korea. It was after the hit and run accident or just before?

It is not very clear to me, if the sisters wanted to leave Korea at the same time. That`s why they wanted to move? Eun Young said that they wanted to start anew in another country. I think she left Korea in the same day with the hit and run accident. Only Eun Young got in the plane?

2 hours ago, larus said:

We have circumstantial evidence in both Jae yeol or Park Sun ja`s culpability and I have a subjective view about what is going on.

That's the magic of it, yes! It's why I'm loving the series so much. I write all of the above as certainties when I go with the theories behind them as being true in mind, but without those being true, all of these things can be explained in other ways.

2 hours ago, larus said:

I am curious about Jae Yeol`s police ID, because they showed him buying the evidence. I don`t know how Kang Hyun Chul has so many things (the shoe, the ID). I don`t know why Kang said to Jae Yeol when he came to the hospital,  "Finally we met". It is clear that he know something about Jae Yeol but I still don`t believe Kang is working for Jae Yeol.

When Kang pointed Eun Young as the real culprit for the hit and run accident, it was ovbious that was a part in a bigger part. Park Sun Ja needed this false confession to make her fake video more plausible. She needed Kang`s confession  more than Jae Yeol then.

I assumed that the reason why Hyun Chul recognized him without having actually met him before was because he had his badge. And while my above assumptions are that he has evidence from the hit-and-run scene, the truth is, he has been after money and could very well be lying about a lot. Could even be lying about being there during the exact moment of the incident in the first place.

However, you are very right that Hyun Chul pointed to Eun Yeong as the culprit to the hit-and-run right before Seon Ja showed them the video, which Jae Yeol didn't know about at the time. He could have very well tried to pull the same trick before her, but going by his "You made her angrier" reaction to it, it seems he's smarter than that. Maybe Detective Park works for Seon Ja, and Hyun Chul works for both without Jae Yeol knowing.

2 hours ago, larus said:

Who moved her things? I thought the people from the moving company came but they let some things and the keeper of the building put the things in a box and Eun Young have got that box after she came to Korea. It was after the hit and run accident or just before?

It is not very clear to me, if the sisters wanted to leave Korea at the same time. That`s why they wanted to move? Eun Young said that they wanted to start anew in another country. I think she left Korea in the same day with the hit and run accident. Only Eun Young got in the plane?

I thought it was just a routine thing when someone disappears (it was after she was gone), and it could very well be the case. I just thought that, coupled with the orphanage director's clear panic over what stopped her from looking for Eun Yeong, as well as her question to Yoon Jin, it could also mean a man from the police was trying to keep this buried at the same time, and could therefore be responsible for the speedy clearing out of her place.

As for the timeline, the orphanage director explained. Eun Yeong was actually living in Canada and teaching Korean students who went there to study. So she was kind of an admissions tutor there as well. She studied and worked hard to prepare for her sister. She only came back a year ago to grab Hyeon Joo's things, it seems. The security guard at Hyeon Joo's old place told Yoon Jin she picked them up herself, and Yoon Jin revealed her knowledge of that trip to Eun Yeong personally. So she probably realized that something was fishy at the time, went back to Canada, made her plans and then returned in the present to set everything in motion.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

As for the timeline, the orphanage director explained. Eun Yeong was actually living in Canada and teaching Korean students who went there to study. So she was kind of an admissions tutor there as well. She studied and worked hard to prepare for her sister. She only came back a year ago to grab Hyeon Joo's things, it seems. The security guard at Hyeon Joo's old place told Yoon Jin she picked them up herself, and Yoon Jin revealed her knowledge of that trip to Eun Yeong personally. So she probably realized that something was fishy at the time, went back to Canada, made her plans and then returned in the present to set everything in motion.

The timeline is tricky in dramas. We have to be very carefully about it. The events on screen happen after days, weeks or months.

For Eun young, I had very clear time line. She left to Canada in the same day of the hit and run accident, on March 2, 2017 (a year ago) that was another reason Jung Wan and Yoon Jin have suspected her. They thought that the patient of that night left the country the same day the accident occured, it was suspicious. Eun young came back this year, in 2018, just like the entry documents confirmed. She came back in Korea in March 6 (or 8, it is not a clear picture), 2018.

Spoiler

tumblr_paej1g09mX1sdd1ivo6_1280.png

tumblr_paej1g09mX1sdd1ivo3_1280.png

In Canada, she worked hard as a tutor for the Korean students and then she stopped everything to go look for Hyun joo just like the  orphanage director pointed out. She worked diligently to make money but in the same time she worried about her sister. She must have thought one time that something is wrong. She hired a private investigator to find out more information about her sister. Because Hyun Joo seemed to have some problems with money and she did not report her to the police as a missing person becasue there was a possibility that she run away. All she knew is that she went missing but did not know what happen and why. 

When she came back to Korea, she went to take Hyun joo`s things from her building.

When talking with the private investigator, she knew some things about the case (maybe she was informed previously her visit there). She wanted to know more things about Yoon Jin. I think she already started to suspect that Hyun Joo`s visit to the hospital has something in common with her dissaperence.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

I thought it was just a routine thing when someone disappears (it was after she was gone), and it could very well be the case. I just thought that, coupled with the orphanage director's clear panic over what stopped her from looking for Eun Yeong, as well as her question to Yoon Jin, it could also mean a man from the police was trying to keep this buried at the same time, and could therefore be responsible for the speedy clearing out of her place.

Hyun Joo was not declared a missing person so, they did not cleared the room because of that. I rewatch the scene where they talked about the moving.

Yoon Jin: She used to live in room 802.

The man: That lady. She got her things picked last months.

Yoon Jin: She came here?

Man: No, her sister did. When she was moving out last year, she couldn`t come for some reason. Only people from the moving company did. Since the owner wasn`t present, they did not do a through job. Some of the things were left in the drawers. I packed them in a box just in case.

Yoon jin: Do you have her sister` s contact number?

Man: By the way, did that lady get into trouble and run away? Her sister didn`t seem to know where she moved.

I cleared out two important things from the conversation. The timeline for some events. Eun Young came back in Korea in March, she took her sister`s things from the building and made a plan to infiltrate Yoon Jin`s house. Jung wan checked Eun young entries in April. Now it is clear for me why he wasn`t able to find the CCTV from the airport. His younger colleague said that the CCTV from the airport expired so they could not find any informations. The police report about Eun young exit and entry was in April, 8. And Eun young was rehired after that date, maybe in late April or May.

Spoiler

tumblr_paej1g09mX1sdd1ivo8_r1_540.png

The second clue was that Hyun Joo "was moving out" after the hit and run accident. I was confused and thought she had plan for moving in the same day with the accident. I was wrong. Definetly, the one who was involved in her dissaperance hired the moving company. She wasn`t a missing person and everyone thought that she moved somewhere else. 

In the night of her dissaperence (in March 2) she met Jae Yeol in the parking of her building where she lived at 18: 40 (if i remember corectly) . The hit and run accident was between 8 and 9 PM , the same day. Hyun Joo was at the hit and run site. her phone turned off in Namjangju and it`s never turned back on ever since.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Maybe Detective Park works for Seon Ja, and Hyun Chul works for both without Jae Yeol knowing.

Maybe. If Jae Yeol hired Kang it was after he met with him in the hospital room.

I am waiting for other information or evidences to suspect Jae Yeol for Hyun Joo`s dissaperence. I am still not convinced. :lol: The show gave many clues to make him the prim suspects but I like when every pieces of the puzzle fit.

I want to know why Jae Yeol and his colleague was interested in the hit and run accident beside Jung Wan. I don`t know his name but before moving to Gangnam police, Jae Yeol`s colleague was genuine searching for clues/ witness of the hit and run accident just like Jung wan did it independently. Detective Park is fishy but not this guy. He was so upset that the time keeps passing and they did not find anything. It could be that Jae Yeol wanted the updates for the case but I did not get the feeling that he wants to know because he has something to hide. Now, he has something to hide. He put detective Park to work and not Jung wan. What happen from that time? He knows more information and has his own suspisious.

I admit, Jae Yeol was and it is very hard to read. We don`t know his insides as the other characters.

The one time he made me wonder about his guilt, it was when he put the picture of his family in the drawer upside down. That was a sign of some guilt/ regret. I am still watching him closely and I won`t put him out of the suspect list yet but I need more clues to make him the prim suspect.  My gut feeling and my thoughts (what I know so far) are still not in consensus (agreement).  :lol: 

Spoiler

tumblr_paej1g09mX1sdd1ivo7_540.png

tumblr_paej1g09mX1sdd1ivo5_540.png

2 hours ago, larus said:

Hyun Joo was not declared a missing person so, they did not cleared the room because of that. I rewatch the scene where they talked about the moving.

Oh, you're right. I missed the part where he said "last month". She had been in Korea for 3 before the fall. Have we seen Eun Yeong acknowledge that Hyeon Joo used to disappear a lot? I remember the orphanage director and Mi Seon telling her. You'd think they'd talk on the phone often, and that she'd be worried immediately if Hyeon Joo suddenly vanished on her.

Maybe because of Hyeon Joo's work, it was common for them to lose touch for bigger periods of time? Because I'd definitely be on a plane back home if a relative suddenly vanished. Eun Yeong didn't return then. Could be because she didn't have money, but then she did hire so many people, so my guess is that Hyeon Joo dropping off the grid once in a while was something Eun Yeong also knew. Common enough that Eun Yeong didn't worry enough to immediately come back. I'm also curious how Eun Yeong made so much money within a year to afford all the contacts she had. Then again, drama leads with an elementary school diploma go to the US and return as genius millionaires 3 years later, so... :lol:

I do think that Hyeon Joo's swift moving out was by whoever disappeared her as well. It didn't sound like a case of a company coming due to failure to provide rent. It was clearly in a hurry and in a way that even the security guard found rushed.

2 hours ago, larus said:

I want to know why Jae Yeol and his colleague was interested in the hit and run accident beside Jung Wan. I don`t know his name but before moving to Gangnam police, Jae Yeol`s colleague was genuine searching for clues/ witness of the hit and run accident just like Jung wan did it independently.

Jae Yeol is Min Ji's dad, so of course he'd have to officially be looking into that day, even if he were hiding something and would prefer not to. People were watching, and he wouldn't want to appear fishy. His subordinate clearly cared about him personally as well. It felt like they were kind of looking into it, but Jae Yeol was just chillaxing and waiting for updates. He knew everyone looking into it. They were his people.

The first time he got very worked up (he actually facepalmed) was when he found out that Jeong Wan, the first one at the scene of the hit-and-run, was looking into the case. A stranger he has no control over, who was actually present there as well. So it may not be that he didn't have something to hide, but that he simply wasn't worried about anyone else finding it before an unknown third party came along.

And yes, the photo is very telling. In the first episodes, he kept it in his home drawer, but the right way up. It was after he moved precincts (and knew of Eun Yeong's entry and Jeong Wan's snooping) that he placed it upside down. Of course, having things to hide about that night and the hit-and-run doesn't mean he did something criminal. He could just be worried about the shame he'd bring to his family if whatever involvement he had were found out.

I think it's amazing how the creators and Kim Tae Woo have built someone who seems genuinely nice and caring, but also manipulative and willing to go to terrible extremes, even when it comes to what he does to his own family. Maybe it's the typical "I know best" male ego, who knows. I'm having the same issue as you do, @larus. Everything I know points to terrible things, but what I see of him as a person does not.

Maybe he's just a good man who is now trying to keep up with some dire mistakes about to surface. Bad people were good once too, and they still have those they care about. We're just used to fully evil fictional caricatures too much. Everyone has that tipping point. Maybe he's hiding things because he's trying to save himself. Maybe he's doing it for his family (his mother and his own). Maybe what he has to hide is not as bad as it appears. It all depends on how deep the writer wants to or can go in unraveling all of the clues so that the dice will land on someone who makes sense.

Archived