[Drama 2018] Secret Mother 시크릿마더

larus

48 minutes ago, Melody_06 said:

Chae Lin's father bought the same dress for Ji Ae and the other Mistress? What made him think that would be a good idea for both of two women wearing the same design? (Hwa-sook stole the dress which was supposed to be handed to the Mistress)

Yes, he bought the same dress for both women. Probably he did it before. It is a way to save time. 

48 minutes ago, Melody_06 said:

I've seen a few underrated shows and still enjoy it.

That`s me. I was joking once that where is a low rating show, here I am. It is rare to watch a high rating show. :lol:

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, larus said:

I have to say, Jae Yeol is hard to crack. So cynical said to Eun young when she showed the shoe, "Are you sure you got it from our villa"? He kept a cool head but he definetly would have hate if Eun young would have said something to Yoon jin. "Go tell her everything!?" Yeah, right. He manipulated Eun young, appealed to her emotions.

Oh I bet they're gonna crack him just fine. :D But yes, I agree. His description does say that he's very harsh with criminals, and if his emotions over her sister and what she did (or what he thinks she did) are honest, it makes sense that he would be very angry, very suspicious and also threaten her. I just don't know if he's doing that because he wants to hide his mess for himself, for his family or both.

I feel like it's "selfish", but with real emotions involved? When he hugged Yoon Jin, he said he was too scared to go after the case and blow it all wide open, because he didn't want to lose everything again. It sounds like he is (right to be) scared that he'd lose Yoon Jin and Min Joon due to the things he has done; abandoning someone cruelly and contributing to the issues which brought about the accident, not to mention directly causing them if he cheated and enabled Hyeon Joo's obsession. Like Yoon Jin kept it all in so as to not trouble them, maybe he thought he'd push her over the edge if she knew all of this. Which, congratulations on being an idiot, dude, because not knowing is way worse for a parent. A feeling he doesn't understand, because he has information Yoon Jin does not.

I also don't think it was Eun Yeong's emotions he intended to manipulate, because remember that he hasn't seen her during those great moments with Min Joon and Yoon Jin. It would be unrealistic of him to assume she'd care enough, when he only knows her as a manipulative woman who has been latching onto them for evidence.

He was probably saying those things as a warning, that he is willing to let her go while she's laying low, but his wife wouldn't be. If Eun Yeong pushes her luck and reveals herself, he'd go after her. He'd have nothing else to lose, everyone would know about it, so he'd have to follow the proper procedures for her as a key person, and Yoon Jin would demand it too. He stressed the fact that they'll be looking for her sister using a witness now, and that if she meddles, she'll be seen as someone on the side of the suspect. I. Need. That. Preview.

1 hour ago, Melody_06 said:

Chae Lin's father bought the same dress for Ji Ae and the other Mistress? What made him think that would be a good idea for both of two women wearing the same design?

The mistress was not going to attend the same auction event, so there wouldn't even be a chance that the two women would meet and discuss their dresses and husbands on that specific night. And people in these circles usually wear new things for new fancy events anyway, so the future would most likely be secure. The guy is a greedy creep, he doesn't care about the women, so he probably just grabbed two of the same for convenience. I can't wait to see him get roasted! :lol:

7 hours ago, larus said:

I just want Secret Mother to do well. I am glad the ratings went up a little. Lawless Lawyers has very good ratings (because it is cable). No matter what other shows are doing, I want our women centric drama to maintain, at least, a loyal audience until the end.

(because it is cable) that make me have to reply to your post hehe @larus

I know many people miss conception that cable ratings are three time higher than Public TV. Actually, not. It's right for ten years or long time ago but not anymore as now almost every households has cable so the ratings are equal/the same. this information i got was from news of TV rating company.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, larus said:

The question is when Hyun Joo took Min ji? It is one hour between the meeting and the accident.

Maybe Hyun Joo has returned to the hospital after she talked with Jae Yeol?

I was under the impression that Yoon Jin was taking the kids to see a musical. If I remember correctly when Lisa took Min Joo for the musical, he said it was the one that his mum was suppose to take them to on the day his sis disappeared. So given that YJ started running out of the hospital as soon as she found Min Ji missing , it was already dark. So I am guessing 8pm.  Hyun Joo  must have been angry with Jae Yol over something , maybe he refuses to get back together , decides to go back to the hospital to look for Yoon Jin , thinking she is the source of the problem.  Then takes Min Ji out with her when she sees YJ taking Min Joo to the toilet. 

It's too early in the game to say if Jae Yool is the killer or not . The way things are played out makes us suspect him which all the more feels like it could be a red herring. However even if he is innocent  HJ's death or  disappearance , I did not like the fact that he hoodwinked Eun Joo into not confronting HJ. He had an affair & has no qualms using emotional blackmail on EJ. I don't like this lack of integrity and cowardice. YJ should divorce him after this . The bonus is she will be free of her mother in law , who does not give me good vibes as well. The person who ordered  the man to push YJ off the building may or may not be the same person behind HJ's disappearance as well. 

And those crazy gangnam mothers - all in a mess because they kept doing stupid things to save face. This is the reason why I never join all these mummy groups.  All the competition to outdo each other is ridiculous. 

Very interesting episodes. Hope they will release the preview soon

11 minutes ago, triplem said:

And those crazy gangnam mothers - all in a mess because they kept doing stupid things to save face. This is the reason why I never join all these mummy groups.  All the competition to outdo each other is ridiculous. 

Very interesting episodes. Hope they will release the preview soon

Actually after watching the last episode, i feel the title of the drama should be "Secret Mothers" 

I find all 3 other ahjummas have interesting character, which made it more entertaining.

1 is strong

1 is naive

1 is pitiful

Anyways, as for YJ.. I like that she is being in-control of herself now.. I can sense she is getting her confidence back. (main lead actresses are really awesome!) 

Just now, grapefruit7 said:

Actually after watching the last episode, i feel the title of the drama should be "Secret Mothers" 

Exactly...all have so much to hide. But all really silly.  I like the lead actresses too. Both very compelling in their roles. Kim Tae Woo is a perfect choice for the husband. The Chief Han that he plays -  can't really hate him but there's something that does not sit right with me. So I guess KTW is doing his job.

@Melody_06 Were you the one hoping for romance? Detective Ha ( my dearest Song JR) is great eye candy. Nice to see him on my screen again. But I don't think there will be any romance btwn him and YJ . It won't serve the plot :lol:

36 minutes ago, triplem said:

YJ should divorce him after this . The bonus is she will be free of her mother in law , who does not give me good vibes as well.

Oh I'm definitely suspecting her as the main culprit. If she has no issues with getting rid of her daughter-in-law through a rigged diagnosis, she's clearly an idgaf type of person. Sadly for Min Joon, it does look like a divorce is likely though. Unless the wrongful meeting wasn't an affair after the marriage and Jae Yeol completely cuts himself off from his mother, should she be the culprit. I suppose depending on the person, they could forgive an affair too, but that's a whoooole lot of relationship re-building right there.

Personally I don't think it's his behavior towards Eun Yeong in particular that makes him morally wicked. We know she's a good person, but to him she's a stranger who manipulated and possibly endangered his family for information. A stranger related to the woman who (he probably thinks) killed his child. I wouldn't think twice about putting that someone in their place or threatening them with the repercussions of their actions either. His wrongs are towards Hyeon Joo, Yoon Jin and his children. And he'd have to be willing to pay for those in full by the end of this, in order to be anything less than despicable.

36 minutes ago, triplem said:

And those crazy gangnam mothers - all in a mess because they kept doing stupid things to save face.

I loooove how they have essentially created their own mess. They're jumping at shadows and getting deeper and deeper in trouble without anyone actually being after them. It's hilarious! I mean, they're pathetic, but they're kind of black comedy antagonists, so their suffering is one I enjoy. I do wish we would see their children's characters more though. It would be interesting if the drama explored how bad parenting affects them. We only got a brief taste with Min Joon through his parents' refusal to talk about Min Ji, but nothing beyond that.

Most of all, I can't wait for them to realize the mess their husbands have created. At least Ji Ae and Hwa Sook's. Hye Kyung's kind of looks harmless, weird stalker aside. :lol:

@Orion Have to thank you for showing this show so much love (appreciate your articles on Han Cinema)   and for your valuable insights. I think reading you and the rest here have helped me cleared up the confusion. Talking about Chief Han's mum...what is her motive ? To protect her son- maybe she knows of the affair? 

On 6/6/2018 at 1:38 PM, triplem said:

@Orion Have to thank you for showing this show so much love (appreciate your articles on Han Cinema)   and for your valuable insights. I think reading you and the rest here have helped me cleared up the confusion. Talking about Chief Han's mum...what is her motive ? To protect her son- maybe she knows of the affair? 

Aww, thank you for reading. ♥

According to the deleted character descriptions, she wanted a rich bride, and she wants her hospital. Yoon Jin is essentially the owner, as inherited from her father's side. She's a rich heiress. Be it her son, her money or both, Director Park would want to protect it. Hyeon Joo was a sex worker who wanted to get rid of this beneficial family. Imagine the scandal. They'd never get to keep their current standing.

My guess is that, if she is the Big Bad, she will use the "for my family" excuse that such villains usually do. Of course, someone who truly cares about their kid would 1) not make them leave someone they love for a rich arranged marriage and 2) not murder someone and traumatize said son and family through the whole mess. The fact that she brought in someone wicked to get rid of the wife her son clearly cares about, and further ruin the family he also seems to care about makes me think she's preeeetty terrible.

Edit: Don't remember what the double posting rules are, but the Preview is out! I'll post the YouTube one if I'm around when it's out.

I see Jae Yeol's mom is lurking around as well. And poor Yoon Jin! I also wonder if Jae Yeol actually knows what's going on and is just keeping quiet, even if he's not the main culprit himself. Well, to the pits of hell with you, if you know what's up. <_<

Also, that's Jae Yeol's watch when someone is leaning over Eun Yeong. Either a nightmare, someone's imagination or then he is guilty for this specific attempted murder. I doubt he wants to fix her hospital gown. :lol:

Preview for next episodes.

It seams that Yoon Jin wanted to show the picture of Jae Yeol and Hyun Joo but she changed her mind. Please, don`t let Eun Young be too long in the coma.

I also believe that Jae Yeol is visiting Eun Young at the hospital. I bet he wants her dead but I don`t think he will try to "help be in her eternal sleep".

58 minutes ago, larus said:

I also believe that Jae Yeol is visiting Eun Young at the hospital. I bet he wants her dead but I don`t think he will try to "help be in her eternal sleep".

Yeah, I bet that was a dream or something. A police superintendent wouldn't strangle a patient in their hospital room. Although if he does want her dead, we can finally throw him into the villain pile for good. I'm hoping he isn't involved in or aware of the Big Bad's actions. He's forgivable up to the point of a one-time affair, but anything more and I'm going to give Yoon Jin my blessings to destroy him. :lol:

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I'm hoping he isn't involved in or aware of the Big Bad's actions. He's forgivable up to the point of a one-time affair, but anything more and I'm going to give Yoon Jin my blessings to destroy him. :lol:

Maybe he is shocked to see her in that hospital, with his wife not long time ago, being one of the main suspects. I say Jae Yeol was not the one who sent Kang but I am willing to lose my bet, if the writer wants that.  We both want him to not be the Big Bad wolf but if he will be, at least I know that he will be very capable bad wolf. :lol: I know it is a little early to make the bet.

If Park Sun Ja is the master behind the attack, Eun Young won`t be safe at her hospital.

We`ll have three women in major key roles in this drama and another three just lurking around? Nice.  

On 05.06.2018 at 8:57 PM, Orion said:

I feel like it's "selfish", but with real emotions involved? When he hugged Yoon Jin, he said he was too scared to go after the case and blow it all wide open, because he didn't want to lose everything again. It sounds like he is (right to be) scared that he'd lose Yoon Jin and Min Joon due to the things he has done; abandoning someone cruelly and contributing to the issues which brought about the accident, not to mention directly causing them if he cheated and enabled Hyeon Joo's obsession. Like Yoon Jin kept it all in so as to not trouble them, maybe he thought he'd push her over the edge if she knew all of this.

He had the confirmation that Hyun joo was indeed the one who took Min Ji. We saw the scene just after he came back home, after speaking with the witness.

I love if a mystery show will give us pieces of the puzzle and makes us wonder where are their place and it is alright if we don`t put the pieces right at their place at the first try.

We could ask what Jae Yeol talked with Kang Hyun Chul, some will assume that he might be the one who sent Kang after Eun young but we don`t have all the information to know for sure. I still believe that Kang worked for Jae Yeol`s mother (I talked about that in my earlier posts). 

Jae Yeol loves his family and his emotions and fear of losing his family was genuine but even if he was not the direct culprit for the hit and run or the disaperence of Hyun joo, he has to answer some serious questions. I have a feeling even without being all bad, Jae Yeol and Yoon Jin`s marriage won`t resist. Like @triplem said, his  lack of integrity and cowardice will have effects. 

On 06.06.2018 at 12:58 PM, triplem said:

I was under the impression that Yoon Jin was taking the kids to see a musical. If I remember correctly when Lisa took Min Joo for the musical, he said it was the one that his mum was suppose to take them to on the day his sis disappeared. So given that YJ started running out of the hospital as soon as she found Min Ji missing , it was already dark. So I am guessing 8pm.  Hyun Joo  must have been angry with Jae Yol over something , maybe he refuses to get back together , decides to go back to the hospital to look for Yoon Jin , thinking she is the source of the problem.  Then takes Min Ji out with her when she sees YJ taking Min Joo to the toilet. 

Yes, Yoon Jin was taking the kids to see a musical after she finished the program at the hospital. But it is not late for kids to see a show at 8 PM? :wink: I also have a feeling that Hyun joo went to see Yoon Jin after a fight with Jae Yeol. She wasn`t in a stable emotional state. Seeing Yoon Jin dismiss her easily, her anger grew a lot.

3 hours ago, larus said:

If Park Sun Ja is the master behind the attack, Eun Young won`t be safe at her hospital.

We`ll have three women in major key roles in this drama and another three just lurking around? Nice. 

It would certainly fit the neighborhood theme of the husbands mostly being harmless (in terms of bodily harm) jerks, if Jae Yeol simply couldn't handle his "superintendent minor" responsibly.

They have gone through some effort with showing his character care about his family and feel bad about things, so it would be odd for him to be a villain. Not impossible, if he thought that making everything, including Eun Yeong, go away would stop it all. I mean, I'd love a solid antagonist with principles, emotions and human motivation. It would just be an odd choice, given the intricate nature of Hyeon Joo's disappearance and the way the entire case is being steered. On the other hand, Director Park has been consistently terrible, and very clearly used to and skilled at scheming.

An older woman villain would be pretty cool for this series! It would still suck for Yoon Jin's family, but we can enjoy it, because we're sadistic viewers who want more fine ladies in cool roles. :lol:

And yes, the marriage would most likely be gone, because innocent or not, he has contributed to her declining mental health for a year. He hid the culprit to Min Ji's kidnapping, and it seems he left the witness alone as well. Well, witness who I also assume works for his mother. That's why he knows of Jae Yeol, but hasn't met him. At least Yoon Jin has enough money to care for Min Joon. It would just be terrible for the kid to lose a grandma and dad at the same time because they're terrible.

I can't seem to quote in an edit, but regarding Hyeon Joo, we have a continuity error if she did go to Yoon Jin after seeing Jae Yeol. At least if we're talking about the meeting caught on camera. Her hand was very much 100% bloody and wrapped. If Yoon Jin got off work around 5-6 PM, it would be a fine time for a musical. And it would fit well with the time Hyeon Joo met him. But if/since their affair and actual fallout happened before, she was probably already angry by then.

59 minutes ago, Orion said:

On the other hand, Director Park has been consistently terrible, and very clearly used to and skilled at scheming.

For Yoon Jin, it will be terrible because whatever it will be from those two they are family. It is worst if it is the husband though.

I was asking earlier how the show will put together the two heroines later. Eun Young is alone in this world. She doesn`t have family to care about her when she is in hospital. Yoon Jin will be there looking for her. Yes, she wants her to wake up and find more about the picture, about Hyun joo but, in the end, Yoon jin will be there for Eun Young.  Maybe Yoon Jin and Ha Jung Wan will protect her.

I am curious what Jae Yeol will do at Eun Young side. I hope we won`t see just his shoes (like how they showed that with the fake Hyun Joo) or the watch. I know that they won`t clarify the suspisious yet but I want to see something.

19 minutes ago, larus said:

I am curious what Jae Yeol will do at Eun Young side. I hope we won`t see just his shoes (like how they showed that with the fake Hyun Joo) or the watch. I know that they won`t clarify the suspisious yet but I want to see something.

Oh I'm pretty sure they're going to draw this out until the end. We're going to enjoy every bit of wardrobe detail on him until they finally reveal him for whatever it is he's doing. :lol: You don't simply cast Kim Tae Woo and not torture everyone with his track record of monumental jerks.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but Kim Tae Woo's character here reminds me a lot of the one he played in "God's Gift: 14 Days".

This drama continues to be one of the best so far in 2018. I hope the writer, director and cast can keep this up.

23 minutes ago, jfritz09 said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but Kim Tae Woo's character here reminds me a lot of the one he played in "God's Gift: 14 Days".

I have thankfully flushed most of the series from my memory, because I remember that it started collapsing in on itself with its internal rules. All I remember is that Kim Tae Woo's character was very much guilty of something in it, and an overall jerk? Then again, that's basically the go-to description for many of his roles. He was very nice in "Mystery Queen 2" though!

Spoiler

Weeeeell, working with the villain and having probably killed someone a bit once aside...

Ok, he's generally guilty in a lot of things. :lol:

I hope they give Jae Yeol a good character arc, because he, Min Joon and Eun Yeong are essentially the characters important in Yoon Jin's life, so it would be nice if they all get good development. Poor Eun Yeong doesn't have anyone but Yoon Jin anymore, so I hope both women get to have a semi-functional life moving forward. At least one without only visiting graves and people in jail.

Happy Yoona Day yesterday!

The cake received by Song Yoon - a has beautiful flowers and a message from her fans :" Happy Birthday (called Song Yoon - ah Fandom) "Thank you very much for being born and happy birthday. I love you ".

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=425361#08e1

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Oh I'm pretty sure they're going to draw this out until the end. We're going to enjoy every bit of wardrobe detail on him until they finally reveal him for whatever it is he's doing. :lol: You don't simply cast Kim Tae Woo and not torture everyone with his track record of monumental jerks.

I hope not. It will become repetitive. They showed just the shoes of a man entering the hospital room  of fake Hyun joo and we assume it was Jae Yeol (because he found out that Lisa`s sister might be in the hospital), then just a couple of hands looking at the CCTV video from that night (assuming that he was someone from the secutity team sent by nurse Choi). Jae Yeol met Kang Hyun Chul (after that he came back distraught). So far, all the scenes made sense and was easy to guess what must have happened and but I hope they won`t abuse of this "technique". 

If they will continue we could see just a man`s hands with a watch trying to harm Eun Young on the hospital bed. At least I am glad that the one who pushed Lisa was revealed. Speaking of that. We`ll see what detective Ha was doing when Kang attacked her? Why he lost the suspect again? We saw his car following Kang and I hope they will use that scene in the narative not forget about it. I think the police found Kang jacket with traces of Lisa`s blood and all three women will be clear of suspisious. Maybe they were not really supects anyway. :wink:

We have still a half of the series and a lot to find out. I am looking forward to the next episodes.

It looks like Yoon Jin is starting not to trust Park Sun Ja either. I anticipate their scene.

Archived